mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Canfield's thoughts on Geometron/Pole-style geometry?

The recent Pinkbike interview with Chris Porter and their article on the Pole Evolink got me interested in the longer geometry concept:

Interview Chris Porter

Pole Evolink Review.html

I don't feel my current Riot is too short, but am generally interested in these ideas. It does seem that, as part of the entire longer geometry idea, Chris Porter is also claiming chainstays need to be longer, whereas I really enjoy the playfulness of the Riot's short chainstays.

@Chris, Lance: as my reference point for frame designers that know their shit, what do you guys think? Anything like this in the future for Canfield? Or does this only make sense for all-out-racing bikes?

mtbr member
    drLEE
    Longer reach or shorter seat tube?
    Canfield Brothers on Facebook
    https://bitconnect.co/?ref=cSquared

mtbr member
    For me, what ever adds up to a longer wheelbase. I image I'd like to see a large frame around the 1280-1300mm mark, 19" seattube. I'm currently on an XL frame that's at 1240ish. And I'm still searching for that low in the bike feeling, accompanied by real stability. My old 2011 The One was the last bike I remember to offer that sensation.

The longer bikes in Europe seem to have the answer. It's the direction I'm looking in.

Cactus Cuddler
    My dream bike would be a carbon 150mm 29er with CBF, with very similar geometry to those (480mm reach, 440mm chainstays, 65° HTA, 75° eSTA @ 35" inseam extension) -- but this would be a ~1280mm wheelbase bike that would only be fun at low speed with a really dialed suspension tune, and handle fundamentally differently than the stuff they're already making. The business case for making this bike is probably nowhere near as good as making the bike they're already working on - and making it handle in the same fun way as the Riot.
    For a pretty un-talented technical climber who lives for high speed descents - there is merit to this idea, but where the bikes the make now shine is in places where hard-earned momentum and flow is harder to come by, which is probably why they're such well-loved bikes. The Balance is truly a standard-setting bike in terms of performance, and just so happens to have had container-loads of bikes with similar numbers show up later on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    @cSquared: the Nicolai Geometron comes in sizes long, longer, and longest (duh...). Picking the middle one (longer), and comparing to my size L Riot:

* 502 mm reach (Riot 457 mm)
    * 605 mm stack (Riot 630 mm)
    * 445 mm chain stay (Riot 414 mm)
    * 1288 mm wheel base (Riot 1173 mm)
    * 63.5 degree head angle (66.5 mm)
    * 77 degree seat angle (Riot same)

Personally, I could see more reach and a larger wheel base work on a Riot-style bike. That would give me even more space to move around, and with a shorter stack I could get even lower more easily. And as long as the chain stay doesn't get too much longer, it would still be a playful and fun bike. I've actually thought about sizing up my Riot to an XL , but the long seat tube would get in my way (sic.).

Those are my thoughts, but I'm an absolute amateur and I guess I'm interested in hearing if you guys ever got to ride one of these, what your thoughts are, and if you think this type of geometry fits your interpretation of fun and gravity focused riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tehllama View Post
    My dream bike would be a carbon 150mm 29er with CBF, with very similar geometry to those (480mm reach, 440mm chainstays, 65° HTA, 75° eSTA @ 35" inseam extension) -- but this would be a ~1280mm wheelbase bike that would only be fun at low speed with a really dialed suspension tune
    This, plus the addition of adjustable geometry which would give you a low and fast option and then a slightly higher and more progressive characteristic for slow steep,tech terrain.

mtbr member
    I think you guys are going to like what's coming.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared View Post
    All aboard the hype train.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I like the idea of long reach, with a very steep seattube angle. I personally don't like being stretched out while just seated and peddling (Ett) this is what I like about the riot. But if reach and ETT are even more similar that would be great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Excited! Dates?

mtbr member
    well that's ominous for my bank account...

mtbr member
    There is no dates in Bike constuction. I'm hoping for first of the year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    There's some good points in those articles. On the other hand, I only see those bikes pointed one direction: down.

Ever pedaled a bike with a 63* head angle up a ski hill? I haven't, but I'm not about to try.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by csquared View Post
    i think you guys are going to like what's coming.
    woooop woooop 🚄🚄🚄🚄🚄

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    There is no dates in Bike constuction. I'm hoping for first of the year.
    Not giving up on trying to squeeze some more information out of you though...

Wheel size? Travel range?