Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Canfield's 27.5/26er is coming!

Not sure when it's gonna happen, though a couple of comments made by Mr VT has pretty much confirmed that it's going to happen!

At this stage of the game it looks a little like -

- 27.5/26er compatible

- Trail/AM category

- Canfields Brothers work of art!

Again from what I've read the frame is in the works, and that a prototype should pop up in the next few months.

This IS exciting stuff, it's what I've been holding out for! Waiting for info to arrive is going to make for a looonngg few months. When the info does arrive I'll be like a seagull at a picnic.
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

mtbr member
    How does the parallel link work as opposed to other suspension designs? Looks good for DH applications, I'm curious as to how it would work for a pedal f/s bike.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by plume View Post
    How does the parallel link work as opposed to other suspension designs? Looks good for DH applications, I'm curious as to how it would work for a pedal f/s bike.
    Have you seen The One?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by plume View Post
    My 2011 The One is setup an 8" mode, no other 8" bike can pedal like The One. Up,down and around the mountain all day long.

Once/if the Parallel Link is the applied to the new 27.5/26er AM frame, I'm sure it'll be in an efficiency class of it's own.

mtbr member
    ...Just imagine having the The One platform made into a shorter travel, lighter but just as hard hitting AM frame, full coil(Avalanche) WITH 650b's. You'd almost need a license to operate!

I'm drooling at the thought, I can almost taste it....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    ...Just imagine having the The One platform made into a shorter travel, lighter but just as hard hitting AM frame, full coil(Avalanche) WITH 650b's. You'd almost need a license to operate!

I think Keeelington dropped that disinformation to direct us away from the pure joy that will be the Yelli-SQUISHY. **** I'll even name my next ex-girlfriend Yelli-SQUISHY if it comes out. I heard from a guy on Pinkbike that talked to a guy who was in Whistler last weekend that said that his bro saw a guy that looked like Sean looking at a 29er some girl was riding. The END IS NEAR folks!!! Pay no attention to this 650b nonsense! Stay to the TRUE PATH: YelliSQUISHY.

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

I'll have my name on the list to get one of those next spring / early summer. Fired up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertr View Post
    I think Keeelington dropped that disinformation to direct us away from the pure joy that will be the Yelli-SQUISHY. **** I'll even name my next ex-girlfriend Yelli-SQUISHY if it comes out. I heard from a guy on Pinkbike that talked to a guy who was in Whistler last weekend that said that his bro saw a guy that looked like Sean looking at a 29er some girl was riding. The END IS NEAR folks!!! Pay no attention to this 650b nonsense! Stay to the TRUE PATH: YelliSQUISHY.
    Hit this link and scroll down some....Its the only other indication I have that 650b/26er combo is in the works.

Though your PROBABLY right, especially if you got that info from a guy off pinkbike that talked to a guy in Whistler.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hit this link and scroll down some....Its the only other indication I have that 650b/26er combo is in the works.

Though your PROBABLY right, especially if you got that info from a guy off pinkbike that talked to a guy in Whistler.
    We all know people on PB are usually right about everything.
    Last edited by Vertr; 05-22-2013 at 11:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    This thread got funny quick.

My vote on the new 26/650b, after talking with Lance, is that we all agree to forego the front derailleur so we can get shorter stays. With all the 1x stuff and the Canfield hubs available, I don't see this as an issue and think it is a worthy sacrifice for shorter stays. Can I get an "amen"? They worried about alienating a big part of the market but I don't really think that will be an issue with all these awesome options out there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    oh, and I want 66-67 head angle with a 160mm fork (20mm thru axle fork a must), NO PRESS FIT BB!(shouldn't be an issue with these dudes), 73 degree seat angle, as sub 17 in stays as possible, and a straight 1.5 or I guess tapered head tube. Get the geo right and people showing interest and then later go to carbon once it is deemed ready.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema View Post
    With all the 1x stuff and the Canfield hubs available, I don't see this as an issue and think it is a worthy sacrifice for shorter stays. Can I get an "amen"? They worried about alienating a big part of the market but I don't really think that will be an issue with all these awesome options out there.
    AMEN
    Just say "NO" to front derailleurs.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

My vote on the new 26/650b, after talking with Lance, is that we all agree to forego the front derailleur so we can get shorter stays. With all the 1x stuff and the Canfield hubs available, I don't see this as an issue and think it is a worthy sacrifice for shorter stays. Can I get an "amen"? They worried about alienating a big part of the market but I don't really think that will be an issue with all these awesome options out there.
    I don't run a FD on my One (microdrive), but I don't see this happening until SRAM has 10 speed cassettes with more low-end range. 9/36 + 28 isn't quite enough low end for an AM bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertr View Post
    I don't run a FD on my One (microdrive), but I don't see this happening until SRAM has 10 speed cassettes with more low-end range. 9/36 + 28 isn't quite enough low end for an AM bike.
    Your 28/36 low gear is almost the same ratio of the old standard 24/31 we (us old guys) grew up with and only 10% higher than the more recent 24/34 low end.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Obviously terrain and steepness vary but I live in Boise and routinely do 3k foot climbs on my AM bike with a 34 front and an 11-36 rear cassette. I know that this is just me though and I could talk for pages about what gearing is necessary and it won't mean anything if the market won't buy a bike without front D. mounts. I don't want the Canfields to lose out on customers but for me, I prefer shorter chainstays at the sacrifice of front derailleurs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roxtar View Post
    Your 28/36 low gear is almost the same ratio of the old standard 24/31 we (us old guys) grew up with and only 10% higher than the more recent 24/34 low end.
    comparing it to the road bike gearing we used back in the stone age is disingenuous; there is a reason that stuff is gone now. I use the 22/34 on my one frequently - we don't have a lot of elevation around here, but 30%+ grades are common enough.

I'll live without a FD mount when Sram has 11-speed cassettes with a 40 granny for under $200, or when they update hammerschmitt (not holding my breath on that).

mtbr member

I like the sound of shorter stays for sure. I haven't ran a FD on my AM rigs for the past five years. So that's an AMEN from me!

As for alienating themselves, the Bro's seem to enjoy the pressure. For example, if anyone's wading into uncharted territory it's the Bro's. Take the Microdrive and the Yelli, two products that have blazed the path for the big names to follow. An follow they have.

If ditching the FD to make way for a new breed of killer AM is whats to happen, it's because the Bros have seemingly laid the foundation for it to happen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    comparing it to the road bike gearing we used back in the stone age is disingenuous; there is a reason that stuff is gone now. I use the 22/34 on my one frequently - we don't have a lot of elevation around here, but 30%+ grades are common enough.

I'll live without a FD mount when Sram has 11-speed cassettes with a 40 granny for under $200, or when they update hammerschmitt (not holding my breath on that).
    Road bike gearing?

I did Leadville two years ago with a 24/34 low gear and I'm a 52 year old flatlander.

A carbon crankarm, titanium geared Hammershmidt would definitely be the ****, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roxtar View Post
    Road bike gearing?
    24/34 isn't want I meant by roadie gearing; you mentioned back in the day when 24/30 was the lowest gear you could get. That was because mountain bike components at the time were slightly modified touring bike components.
    my first mountain bike came with a 28/38/48 crank and a 13-30 7-speed cassette. I'll have strong words with anyone that claims that was even remotely appropriate gearing for riding offroad.

mtbr member
    So as it stands, and in the interest of healthy e-speculation, the frame sounds like -

- 27.5/26er combo
    - A sharp AM slayer
    - Sort stays

Going off the latter, I'd bet my left nut that it'll be in the 150-160mm range, ~67-66d HA and a medium weighing in at ~7lbs. A shock i-2-i length of 8.5.

I'd like to see stealth post routing.....

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    The Swifty-Fifty!!!
    Or Drifty-50!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    The Swifty-Fifty!!!
    Or Drifty-50!
    Drifty-50! Drifty-50!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    drifty-50!

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Know going into the build that the bike doesn't work with a FD is all that is needed really. Engineers in all companies are preparing for the departure of the FD. Shimano needs to catch up quickly and offer suitable competition. If shorter stays are what makes a bike handle the way we'd like - kill the FD option. I'd even rock a 1X10 now on that Yelli if I *had* to...

I can't wait to see what gaining all that clearance in the rear triangles do to the next generation of super bikes.
    My one says BRAP!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    honestly, we are about 30 years overdue for ditching the rear derailleur!
    It's time for an internal that is light and works.
    with all of our technology...it's unfathomable.

And then we eat them."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast