mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Canfield Toir/Riot compared to YT Jeffsy

Hi,
    I'm debating between both the Canfield Toir / Riot or the YT Jeffsy as my next purchase. Looking for a fun/playful all-mountain/trail bike for my local terrain in the Northern Rockies ( <1hr winch and plummet on the weekdays, burly 3+ trail days on the weekends; all from doorstep to doorstep).

Both of these 140mm bikes are at the very top of my list, and both likely will be available sometime early next year. Anyone have experience with both of these bikes? Aside from the weight difference (2lbs?) and stupid press fit bottom bracket, what are the distinctive characteristics of these bikes? Poppy and progressive vs smooth and efficient?

If it matters, I'm 6'4, 36 inseam, love riding fast and playing around on everything, but have no interest in racing enduro.

Thanks everyone in advance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I took a spin on a jeffsy, it reminded me a lot of a Spec Stumpjumper that peddleday a little better...but that isn't saying much. Because of all the bikes in its class, I hated the SJ the most. The Riot on the other hand is a blast to ride. Since you don't want to race, it's even better. Short chainstays and short wheel base makes a great playful bike.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Interesting. Iíve heard that comparison before, Jeffsy to Stumpy.

Never ridden the YT, but I owned a Riot last year and now have a Ď17 Stumpy. Aesthetically and culturally, I liked the Canfield. Super-fun bike. But to be objective and based on performance, the Specialized is a superior bike for me in the jagged fast terrain in Phoenix.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Interesting. Iíve heard that comparison before, Jeffsy to Stumpy.

Never ridden the YT, but I owned a Riot last year and now have a Ď17 Stumpy. Aesthetically and culturally, I liked the Canfield. Super-fun bike. But to be objective and based on performance, the Specialized is a superior bike for me in the jagged fast terrain in Phoenix.
    We're neighbors! I'm guessing with your comment above, you're referring to trails like National and Geronimo, as far as where the Stumpy performed better than the Riot? Did you ride either bike at trail systems like Hawes? Currently shopping and ride Hawes and SoMo primarily, with trips to Prescott and Sedona over the summer.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    All those places, plus PMP, Flag, Tucson, etc, but yeah mostly SoMo.

To be clear, Iím not peeing on Canfield as Iím a huge fan of the company. I think in a different environment I would have liked the Riot much more. My issue was suspension performance ó and to some degree, wheelbase/short stays ó at high speed through significant chunk.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My issue was suspension performance ó and to some degree, wheelbase/short stays ó at high speed through significant chunk.
    Which shock did you go with?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Man, a few bikes have come and gone. For sure a couple different Monarch Plusí and, if memory serves, a CC inline. I thought I ran a Jade, too, but I think that was a different rig.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    OK, clearly you tried to root cause that issue through different shocks then!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    The suspension? The chainstay thing I'll buy, but the suspension? I've ridden lots of different bikes and the one thing that I can say is that the suspension on the Canfield's is the best I've ridden. I've ridden Balance and Riot, and I should be riding a Balance now, currently on a Delirium. I rode the Riot in Moab. One thing you'll never here me say is I like this Specialized better than a Canfield because of the SUSPENSION! Weight, Seat tube length maybe, but suspension? I guess different strokes for different folks. Suspension?

mtbr member
    Think what Blatant is pointing out is that the Riot is not the greatest bike (plushest) for blowing through chunky terrain at high speeds like we have here in Phoenix (SoMo). The azz end tends to get overwhelmed and dance around a bit and rides like it has 110/120 mm of travel vs 140mm in that. Probably mainly do to its short wheelbase and chain stays, but some of that could be suspension leverage rate/curve and shock selection.

I have owned Riot here in Phoenix (SoMo) for 1 1/2 years and on my third shock trying to tame down the azz end. The DBAir that came with it sucked,a Pushed Fox coil was better/ok and now on a Manitou Mcleod. Just put a King Can (high volume) on the Mcleod the other day. Only have one ride on the King Can, but this it looks like this might be the ticket to making it a bit plusher.

I love ever other aspect of the Riot, the short WB and CSs makes it a blast to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'm on an avalanche coil, but could use a DVO Jade with a little tinkering with the shims. I don't get any skipping around. But could see ithe happening with a shock that spikes or gets choked up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    This has been posted a bunch with speculation that the short stays make a bike skip around. I just don't see how anybody can really make that claim as it can be nothing but shock tune if it is really happening. Is .5 to 1 inch in length really going to matter in how the shock is reacting to forces? It either compresses and recovers in time for the next force or it doesn't. If you don't have mid stroke support or too slow of rebound, you will feel like you have less travel available to you on repeat hits.
    One thing I will get is that some people don't like the feel of the shorter stays and that is why we have so much choice. A longer stay can give you more of an 'in the bike' feel that some people prefer and maybe that is being interpreted.

Most likely, I think somebody speculated at some point and then people just ran with that without really understanding.

I have owned two Riot frames now, ridden a Balance a bunch as well. On my Riot I have had the DB air CS, a cruddy cheap fox air, A Monarch RT3, and a DVO Coil. The OEM Fox was the worst followed by the DB air CS, though I got it to perform decently. The DVO coil just takes all the drama away completely and never seems to lose traction. The monarch is my short shock option and gives me ~125mm rear wheel and I routinely go 30+mph through rough and washboard and have never felt the rear doing what others suggest.

I also find it worth noting that the Balance has similarly short CS and people aren't complaining about it. Quite the opposite in fact.

mtbr member
    aenema,
    It runs 127mm with the short stroke shock- fyi.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared View Post
    aenema,
    It runs 127mm with the short stroke shock- fyi.
    There ya go. Think I knew that but went with a safe estimate.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Aenema, bring that Riot to Phoenix. I want to show you around. And by "show you around" I mean take you to the trail head, let you go first and say "see you at the bottom." Our season is just starting.

Any of you Phoenix area Riot owners have an XL? I'd love to ride one. There's a burger and beer in it for you!
    "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."

Real Estate Professionals llc.
    realestate-professionals.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema View Post
    This has been posted a bunch with speculation that the short stays make a bike skip around. I just don't see how anybody can really make that claim as it can be nothing but shock tune if it is really happening. Is .5 to 1 inch in length really going to matter in how the shock is reacting to forces? It either compresses and recovers in time for the next force or it doesn't. If you don't have mid stroke support or too slow of rebound, you will feel like you have less travel available to you on repeat hits.
    One thing I will get is that some people don't like the feel of the shorter stays and that is why we have so much choice. A longer stay can give you more of an 'in the bike' feel that some people prefer and maybe that is being interpreted.

Most likely, I think somebody speculated at some point and then people just ran with that without really understanding.

I have owned two Riot frames now, ridden a Balance a bunch as well. On my Riot I have had the DB air CS, a cruddy cheap fox air, A Monarch RT3, and a DVO Coil. The OEM Fox was the worst followed by the DB air CS, though I got it to perform decently. The DVO coil just takes all the drama away completely and never seems to lose traction. The monarch is my short shock option and gives me ~125mm rear wheel and I routinely go 30+mph through rough and washboard and have never felt the rear doing what others suggest.

I also find it worth noting that the Balance has similarly short CS and people aren't complaining about it. Quite the opposite in fact.
    Exactly, the leverage curve is pretty flat, if it ramped up quickly then maybe it's the bike. Spec bike have a falling curve, they may feel plush, even with S@#t for a shock. But squat to much in tech climbs.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Gentleman: I simply stated my opinion based on my ownership of the bike. Itís not speculation. Iím not smart enough to know the reasons why, I just understand what works for me in my environment. I wish I had enjoyed the Riot as I spent my hard-earned money on it.

I do my best to look at bikes in their entirety and not focus too much on specific measurements ( unless itís some sort of outlier). For whatever reason, I could not make the bikeís rear work the way I needed at speed. Suspension? Geo? Combo of both?

Regardless, not a huge deal. I moved on to something that works better for me in Phoenix.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Gentleman: I simply stated my opinion based on my ownership of the bike. Itís not speculation. Iím not smart enough to know the reasons why, I just understand what works for me in my environment. I wish I had enjoyed the Riot as I spent my hard-earned money on it.

I do my best to look at bikes in their entirety and not focus too much on specific measurements ( unless itís some sort of outlier). For whatever reason, I could not make the bikeís rear work the way I needed at speed. Suspension? Geo? Combo of both?

Regardless, not a huge deal. I moved on to something that works better for me in Phoenix.
    Not trying to cause drama, don't think you were either. You're just not the first to say the short stays make it skip. The Riot does need a good shock. And I was reading others say it was the stays but the bike came with a Cane creek shock, not ideal IMHO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I just don't agree on my experience riding similar terrain on the same bike with a DVO topaz shock.
    Last edited by Spidermatt; 1 Week Ago at 02:50 AM.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Okey-dokey.

mtbr member
    This is starting to feel like 3rd grade but I can echo Blatant's observations on a Riot with the CCDBACS and a Monarch Plus.

Bottom line...some do, some don't.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Seems to me a worthy endevor to discuss performance issues (real or imagined) with a given design and to attempt to diagnose those issues. Frame and Geo? Shock and shock tune? Local terrain and rider style? Why do some experience a given phenomena and others do not?

As a relative noob to the sport and potential buyer of a Riot, I've found it helpful, and it's not turned into a pissing match, so all good!

Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    This is starting to feel like 3rd grade but I can echo Blatant's observations on a Riot with the CCDBACS and a Monarch Plus.

Bottom line...some do, some don't.
    "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."

Real Estate Professionals llc.
    realestate-professionals.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The Riot is a very fun bike to ride. I also have an Avalanche Woodie shock on mine and that was leaps and bounds greater than the CCDBACS that it came with. Canfield offers different shock options right out of the gate so that is a very good thing as a buyer to consider.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I own both bikes
    The Riot climbs better, it's a much more nimble, the suspensions are livelier.
    The Jeffsy (carbon) a little lighter and feels a bit more confidence at the DH parts, it's a good bike.
    I been with the Riot at the French alps (Morzine) and I felt that the short chainstay is a little disadvantage, I think that the Jefsy might be a better bike for there (on the other hand the Balance or jedi will outperform the Jeffsy in such an area).
    But let say that if I need to choose only one bike I will take the Riot any time with my both hands, it's a much better trail bike with a lot of fun in its nature, it pedals great and when you ride it you can't feel the weight penalty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Toir/Riot compared to YT Jeffsy-img_6997.jpg  

Canfield Toir/Riot compared to YT Jeffsy-img_6578.jpg  

Last edited by esku; 1 Week Ago at 03:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks everyone for all the replies. Sounds like the Riot is the better bike in a lot more situations. Now to turn things upside down, I had a chance to ride an Evil Wreckoning this weekend. Could not believe how lively that bike road for being that size and weight. Not sure how they did it, but is was pretty impressive even when 'overbiked' on some of the trails.

mtbr member
    I would bet if you asked for a comparison on the YT forum you get more of a bias towards the Jeffsy. Now your asking about an Evil bike on the same Canfield forum, what are you expecting to hear.....Canfield's suck? If it were me and I wanted a more un-biased opinion, I would ask the question's on the 29er forum. Not trying to be a jerk but know your audience.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Ha. I thinks it's because of all those brands I like the Canfield folks. Not trying to crap on one brand vs the other, and totally understand that any opinion on MTBR isn't exactly 'unbiased.'

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I really like the Evil bike but for two things. The frame weight is the same as an aluminum but at the carbon bike premium price , and the seat tube is too slack for me. I am taller and have a lot of seat post and that puts me too far behind the bb to feel good pedaling up anything remotely steep. If you are a shorter person though, it may not be an issue at all.

Not ridden a Jeffsey, just a bunch of rides on a Capra. I love my Riot man, every ride makes me so pumped for the next. Never had a more fun bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rj9294 View Post
    Thanks everyone for all the replies. Sounds like the Riot is the better bike in a lot more situations. Now to turn things upside down, I had a chance to ride an Evil Wreckoning this weekend. Could not believe how lively that bike road for being that size and weight. Not sure how they did it, but is was pretty impressive even when 'overbiked' on some of the trails.

I was also VERY impressed with the Wreckoning. It did everything exceptionally well as I took it on 7 rides. I was pretty surprised and taken back...However, when I got back on my Riot I realized that the Riot is just the more FUN bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The wreckoning, makes me wish the Bro's would make a 160mm Riot. If they don't by next year, I'll be getting a Balance if the don't.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Love my Riot with the DVO coil. Stays planted