Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

The Canfield Rumor Mill

There's been lots of rumors going around the last four months or so. I thought I'd keep track of them and then confirm or debunk them if Canfield actually releases any official info or products.

So far we've got:

1. Yelli Squishy - 29er full suspension bike
    2. 650B / Enduro Racer - need I say more?
    3. Carbon Yelli
    4. Old Nimble re-release
    5. The One updates
    6. Carbon Jedi

Anything I'm missing? What's your most anticipated rumor?
    Last edited by Vertr; 08-06-2013 at 07:58 PM.

mtbr member
    For some unknown reason I'm really interested with what they'll bring out with a 29er fully. I haven't ridden a 29er before, though with the way the newer generation of 29ers are heading I can start to see how it could fit in my type of riding, so I'm really keen to see what the Bros have up their sleeve's.

I'd like to see a 160mm 650b race machine, it's for sure on my want list. I'm a huge fan of The One, love mine, an updated The One is and will always be top of my wish list. (just fix the rear tire/triangle clearance first )
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

Ride On
    Old Nimble re-release!!! FTW.

I'd love the classically shaped diamond frame back. In a lighter weight package (853 maybe.) Get rid of the little point at the seat stays (pointless extra material and weight.) Delete the front dr mount (plenty of 1x options now.) Somehow design a bit more compliance in the rear (smaller diameter chain/seat stays maybe.) More leaning towards a trail bike vs a downhill bike.

I know a lot of folks would want ISBG tabs and a 44mm head tube, I say keep it for the new gen nimble or the Yelli.

IMHO
    Michael

Ride on!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Drifty/Swifty/Fifty!!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    I was asking for a carbon Jedi...not starting rumors, just asking

Std issue w/ green links and a DVO fork and call it Yoda?

Murdered out full black w/ a Dorado and call it Vader
    - Same, but w/ red links and call it Sith

White w/ black link and a white Marz 380 WC and call it Obi Juan
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Enduro racer.
    160mm travel that can be built in the mid twenty lb range.
    Has to go up like a goat on steroids and down like a fat girl on prom night.
    Preferably in 650.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

mtbr member
    geraldooka- I like the way you think...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post

Std issue w/ green links and a DVO fork and call it Yoda?

Murdered out full black w/ a Dorado and call it Vader
    - Same, but w/ red links and call it Sith

White w/ black link and a white Marz 380 WC and call it Obi Juan
    I think the jedi is pretty damn perfect as is. No need for carbon.

DVO? There sure is a lot of hype over a product that isn't even in production yet.

Murdered out with a Dorado, now we're talking...wait, that's what's in my garage!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Hah, I had to add a little spice to the thread!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertr View Post
    Hah, I had to add a little spice to the thread!
    Well, I've got the Sith...would love me a plastic-fantastic dark-sider
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Jedi 29er

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    OK, but seriously... I've love to see The One get the same 2.5" of rearward travel as the Jedi, or as much rear travel as can be accommodated using only a lower idler pulley.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nws View Post
    ok, but seriously... I've love to see the one get the same 2.5" of rearward travel as the jedi, or as much rear travel as can be accommodated using only a lower idler pulley.
    this!!

mtbr member

Rumor Mill

If my memory serves me correctly, I remember a particular Canfield rep saying on a couple of occasions that this summer sometime we should/would see a proto of a trail/AM 26/650b'er.

Mr KVT, could you either confirm or deny?
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    If my memory serves me correctly, I remember a particular Canfield rep saying on a couple of occasions that this summer sometime we should/would see a proto of a trail/AM 26/650b'er.

I'm pretty sure that's a planned 2014 release

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I love my the One for DH. Would be great to see an all mountain 650b/29 with some travel. Looking forward to building a 1by11 like that. Next season or early following season.
    I got more bikes than skills, son!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post

KVT is a tease.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NWS View Post
    OK, but seriously... I've love to see The One get the same 2.5" of rearward travel as the Jedi, or as much rear travel as can be accommodated using only a lower idler pulley.
    Another vote on this. Unless there is some efficiency issue with too much rearward arc for a trail bike, it would be sweet to see the One's suspension evolve into something like the Jedi. Often times I want to ride my Jedi as a trail bike because it feel so good, honestly never tried to climb with it much, but seems to be good for a DH bike. Can only image how an optimized design for trail riding could perform...

Oh, and I know it is difficult for a small company, but if the One (or whatever is planned to supercede it) could become carbon at some point, that would really raise it to perfection. Perhaps a limited run of killer carbon trail rigs. We can dream right?

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kameraguy View Post
    Another vote on this. Unless there is some efficiency issue with too much rearward arc for a trail bike, it would be sweet to see the One's suspension evolve into something like the Jedi. Often times I want to ride my Jedi as a trail bike because it feel so good, honestly never tried to climb with it much, but seems to be good for a DH bike. Can only image how an optimized design for trail riding could perform...
    I pretty much stopped riding my AM bike after I got my Jedi. It climbs well enough. The biggest drawbacks are the weight and the head-tube angle (63 degrees because AngleSet). I'd really enjoy a long-travel AM bike with an air shock, single-crown, slightly less beefy frame, 67ish head-tube angle, and Jedi-like rearward travel.

Santa Cruz Bullit seems to be the closest thing I can find. It's a simple single-pivot trailing arm, but the pivot point is a bit higher than most... I'd be surprised if the wheel moved more than an inch back, though.

Plan B is to just buy a 2nd Jedi and run an AngleSet in the other direction.

mtbr member
    I disagree.
    What makes the One so special is it's ability to pedal/climb as efficiently as it does. It's so head-n-shoulders above anything else in it's class in this regard.
    I'm all for improvements (like a carbon version) but don't mess with the suspension.
    A far better plan would be to just have a lighter (again, carbon) Jedi.

AOK
    mtbr member

The Canfield Rumor Mill

If Canfield brings back the gen 1 Nimble 9 (which I hope they do) they should slap a 44mm head tube on it. And include the rust coating like the G2s have.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roxtar View Post
    I disagree.
    What makes the One so special is it's ability to pedal/climb as efficiently as it does. It's so head-n-shoulders above anything else in it's class in this regard.
    I'm all for improvements (like a carbon version) but don't mess with the suspension.
    A far better plan would be to just have a lighter (again, carbon) Jedi.
    Very true, I also have no complaints on the One's suspension. But since this is an idea thread, I'd be interested to hear the Bro's thoughts on if they had considered a little bit of rearward (doesn't have to be as dramatic as the Jedi) could bring to the table for a trail bike. The intent is not to destroy the already excellent climbing capability, but to enhance/evolve it. The Jedi pedals amazing for how much rearward it has.

Suspension musings aside, I think a lot of us would be excited to see a lighter version of the One to help get weights down to the mid to high 20's. Carbon seems to be the norm to achieve this now, however I know the Bros prefer aluminum. So to me, it doesn't matter what material, but to have a version of the One that can "easily" hit below 30lbs would be killer. I bet this would open up Canfield to an even larger market.

"IF" they made a carbon frame, I think it would make the most sense to focus on a carbon The One as that really is a jack of all trades. XC/AM/Enduro peeps could get on with it as well as those who want to build up a carbon freeride/DH rig. The Jedi in carbon would be sweet of course, but being as small a company as Canfield is, they'd probably sell way more carbon One's if they could only do one frame in carbon.

side note: as the market seems to be migrating to larger wheel sizes, I hope they keep the 26" platform always as an option for those that prefer it.

Ride On
    I retract the no 44mm ht on the re launch of the N9 I forgot possible use of zero stack headsets. Ok dream N9 below (I currently have a gen 1 but would buy this version without hesitation if it included the below items.) Oh and it can be done at the current price point there are other examples out there like the Cotic Solaris.

-shoot for 4.5lbs...
    -853 main tubes
    -44mm ht
    -delete pointy nubby thing
    -curved seat stays meh can't imagine they really help at the current thickness plus pure triangles are pretty
    -non sliding drop out option I like running 1 x on this
    -no fd option (or at least removable)
    -more forgiving rear end (smaller, thinner whatever makes it work I'm no bike engineer)
    -nicer art work (consider options to go with both white and black forks)

I love the gen 1 N9 I have, best bike of its type I have ridden still super competitive, every time I look at other options they seem to fail at something the N9 does fine, whether its chain stay/wheelbase length or the ability to run super fat rear tires. I have an excel spreadsheet going with similar frames and nothing seems to match the gen 1 N9 yet... If Cotic had produced a tighter wheelbase shorter chainstay Solaris it may have bumped the N9 out of contention but alas...
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldooka View Post
    I retract the no 44mm ht on the re launch of the N9 I forgot possible use of zero stack headsets. Ok dream N9 below (I currently have a gen 1 but would buy this version without hesitation if it included the below items.) Oh and it can be done at the current price point there are other examples out there like the Cotic Solaris.

-shoot for 4.5lbs...
    -853 main tubes
    -44mm ht
    -delete pointy nubby thing
    -curved seat stays meh can't imagine they really help at the current thickness plus pure triangles are pretty
    -non sliding drop out option I like running 1 x on this
    -no fd option (or at least removable)
    -more forgiving rear end (smaller, thinner whatever makes it work I'm no bike engineer)
    -nicer art work (consider options to go with both white and black forks)

I love the gen 1 N9 I have, best bike of its type I have ridden still super competitive, every time I look at other options they seem to fail at something the N9 does fine, whether its chain stay/wheelbase length or the ability to run super fat rear tires. I have an excel spreadsheet going with similar frames and nothing seems to match the gen 1 N9 yet... If Cotic had produced a tighter wheelbase shorter chainstay Solaris it may have bumped the N9 out of contention but alas...
    Sounds almost perfect. I would throw in a a 31.6mm seatpost size for more dropper seatpost compatibility..

Ride On

Re: The Canfield Rumor Mill

31.6 I suppose your right... though the 27.2 hasn't been an issue as the GD seat post I use fits and still remains one of, if not the lightest dropper post on the market...

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    Michael

Ride on!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast