Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TBMD9er View Post
    Sounds almost perfect. I would throw in a a 31.6mm seatpost size for more dropper seatpost compatibility..
    Canfield uses 30.9 for almost everything else, so I would bet on that if anything.

mtbr member
    Old Nimble re-release

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldooka View Post

-shoot for 4.5lbs...
    -853 main tubes
    -44mm ht
    -delete pointy nubby thing
    -curved seat stays meh can't imagine they really help at the current thickness plus pure triangles are pretty
    -non sliding drop out option I like running 1 x on this
    -no fd option (or at least removable)
    -more forgiving rear end (smaller, thinner whatever makes it work I'm no bike engineer)
    -nicer art work (consider options to go with both white and black forks)
    The outward curve in those seatstays is perplexing, they just don't make any sense. The curve doesn't allow for more tire clearance, only seams to increase heal strikes. I rubbed the paint off on the first ride. I've had plenty bikes where I would get some heal rub on the chainstays, but not the seatstays. A frame building friend of mine could make no sense of it either, best guess is that they found a bunch of formed chainstays for cheap which happened to be "almost" the right length for seatstays. Almost being that the had to wrap around the seattube to fit.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertr View Post
    Canfield uses 30.9 for almost everything else, so I would bet on that if anything.
    30.9 would be just fine as well.

Ride On

Re: The Canfield Rumor Mill

@tbmd9er - sounds a bit conspiracy theory to me... but they do look like chainstays... hmmmm. Looking at that point those chunky tubes would have required quite a severe curve at the seatpost maybe that's why they ran them long... As to the outward curve I don't know... I was referring to the curve to apparently add compliance.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    Michael

Ride on!

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TBMD9er View Post
    best guess is that they found a bunch of formed chainstays for cheap which happened to be "almost" the right length for seatstays. Almost being that the had to wrap around the seattube to fit.
    The theory breaks down when you consider different sizes would have to be cut to different lengths. So there would be no benefit to the idea that they had to wrap the seat tube to fit if it was done to avoid cutting the stay to length.

Me, I like the stays just because they're unique. I figure there's as much practical benefit to their shape as there is to the hydroformed top tube on the Gen 2. Which FWIW I don't care for at all.
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post

Me, I like the stays just because they're unique. I figure there's as much practical benefit to their shape as there is to the hydroformed top tube on the Gen 2. Which FWIW I don't care for at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldooka View Post

-shoot for 4.5lbs...
    -853 main tubes
    -44mm ht
    -curved seat stays meh can't imagine they really help at the current thickness plus pure triangles are pretty
    -more forgiving rear end (smaller, thinner whatever makes it work I'm no bike engineer)

Don't get me wrong, I love my gen 1, but these would all be really nice updates. I wonder how much of the rear less-compliance is due to the beefy chain, er I mean seatstays vs just having the rear wheel tucked so far under your arse. Anyway, we can dream on, I just don't see a smaller company like Canfield carrying two steel 29er hardtails. With just about everyone starting to jump on the short and slack bandwagon, there will probably other options soon enough.

Ride On

Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    hydroformed top tube on the Gen 2. Which FWIW I don't care for at all.
    Here, here.

Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    shoot for 4.5lbs...
    -853 main tubes
    -44mm ht
    As above but scrap point 5 - needs to be ss!

I agree with comments on Solaris further up. Combine geo of v1 N9 with tubing of Solaris - lose the wide seatstays definitely. A tad longer tt for size and my perfect bike.

Ride On

Quote Originally Posted by Clink View Post
    As above but scrap point 5 - needs to be ss!

I agree with comments on Solaris further up. Combine geo of v1 N9 with tubing of Solaris - lose the wide seatstays definitely. A tad longer tt for size and my perfect bike.
    Well it can still be the sliding drops. I just figured offer frames with both sliding and vertical drops rather than the having to use the hefty slider parts when geared users are unlikely to use them to advantage. The lovely vertical drops on frames like Cotic or Chromag are I believe, where a lot of that steel "zing" comes from.

Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    I'd really like a 100-120mm "slack" non carbon 29er trail bike. With the exception of a trail bike (in 26", 27.5" or 29" flavor), Canfield seems to have most of the bases covered with their current line-up.

I couldn't imagine Canfield bringing out anything in carbon or bringing back the old N9. The one thing I don't get about the bike industry is the redundancy in most manufacturers line-up.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    130-150MM short stay 29'er fully with rearward axle path.Take my money please!

I'm with stupid

The Canfield Rumor Mill

Quote Originally Posted by mxer View Post
    130-150MM short stay 29'er fully with rearward axle path.Take my money please!
    This but on the 150mm side

I tapped that

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    This but on the 150mm side

I tapped that
    I will go with the 150.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I'd really like a 100-120mm "slack" non carbon 29er trail bike. With the exception of a trail bike (in 26", 27.5" or 29" flavor), Canfield seems to have most of the bases covered with their current line-up.

I couldn't imagine Canfield bringing out anything in carbon or bringing back the old N9. The one thing I don't get about the bike industry is the redundancy in most manufacturers line-up.
    YUP! Except now I'd be down with 27.5!
    Canfield. Please gimme a.....
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    When does Canfield typically release news on the next year's models? Is there even a "typical" time or is it random?

I'm sitting on the fence for a One, having finally at least thrown a leg over one recently and gotten a better idea on sizing. Now I'm wondering when we find out what happens for 2014.

(Hint if anyone from Canfied is listening- if only it were a little longer in the top tube, and IMO it doesn't really need to be built out of tubing that would withstand a nuclear attack )

perpetual pucker factor
    But doesn't it give you the warm and fuzzies that, if there were to be a nuclear attack, that your bike would still be around? I love the fact that, no matter how hard I ride it, it will not wimp out on me.

Anyway, to me it seems that Canfield is a bit like Santa Cruz when they release bikes. They don't put something out until they are happy with it. And if that means skipping a year model or being late to release every once in a while, they do that. But they do seem to try to release their new bikes in the spring sometime. This year's One was a bit later than the 2012 was, but I started seeing information released here in the forum around Feb-March. They would periodically release updates on the progress of the frames being built in Taiwan as well.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    bump 27.5 N7?
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoaster View Post
    bump 27.5 N7?
    Yep, I like. Build it now I say.
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

Canfield Brothers
    I want to start off by thanking everyone for being so patient with us releasing info on next years line. We are waiting on our production PR samples to arrive to introduce the world to our new products. At that time we will have more accurate release dates as well as finalized pricing. We have new bikes and a few other surprises up our sleeves. (Needless to say, we are VERY EXCITED for 2014)

That being said, we are hoping to everything ready to release next month. Thanks again for waiting... I KNOW you are going to be stoked!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post
    I want to start off by thanking everyone for being so patient with us releasing info on next years line. We are waiting on our production PR samples to arrive to introduce the world to our new products. At that time we will have more accurate release dates as well as finalized pricing. We have new bikes and a few other surprises up our sleeves. (Needless to say, we are VERY EXCITED for 2014)

That being said, we are hoping to everything ready to release next month. Thanks again for waiting... I KNOW you are going to be stoked!
    Good news, thanks for letting us in on that. I love the fact that there is more than one bike that is coming out, it'll will make next month a damn good one!
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    Good news, thanks for letting us in on that. I love the fact that there is more than one bike that is coming out, it'll will make next month a damn good one!
    Better than Christmas even!

Can't wait to see what you guys have put together.

7MGTE
    I want to start off by thanking everyone for being so patient with us releasing info on next years line.
    Thank you for the update.

We have new bikes and a few other surprises up our sleeves. (Needless to say, we are VERY EXCITED for 2014). That being said, we are hoping to everything ready to release next month. Thanks again for waiting... I KNOW you are going to be stoked!
    Looking forward to the 2014s, hope to build a new One next year! Not doing as much DH locally so looking forward to an AM bike again.

mtbr member
    For me I would most wish to see this one:
    "650B / Enduro Racer - need I say more?"

I think a 27.5" ~150mm full squish Canfield suspension, not too heavy bike sounds like the win!

Canfield Brothers
    Unbalanced, you will find your Balance soon.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast