Your bike sucks

Canfield Project DJ - Uncharted territory

Not as much stoke here for the DJ so I'm hoping to get a little love going...

(long so jump to the pics if you don't want to read caffeinated recanted history)

I love projects. Sometimes I complain about the endless work but truth is I'd be lost without exercising new interests. Feeling buoyed by the great result of Project One (my 2012 One build), I decided to ride that momentum and start Project DJ.

Truth is, this is entirely new for me; I have some semi-recent crash related trauma that's been my excuse for not pushing the boundaries. It took last year's DH sessions and Enduros to finally get through that block. Reconstructive surgery and broken necks suck so hitting that 'switch' is a big deal to me. Part of Project One is the culmination of the process - having a bike that's dialed with a much lager margin of error allows me to go faster, bigger with more grace and confidence. Anyway, this is my long way of getting around to being stoked on riding and improving skills.

My town (lovely Durango) is starting to realize critical mass for forms of riding that were not as prominently recognized. There's plans for profession pump tracks and bike parks. This is good and we can't wait; actually won't wait as we start to do some more amateur building. With that as the backdrop, decided I needed a pump track/DJ bike. While I was originally looking for something used and cheap, I got impatient with the junk on ebay and craigs so I was happy to see that Canfield had a close out special on the DJ and I took the plunge.

As everyone knows, Canfield folks are great to communicate with (thanks Sean!). I deal a lot with bikes - aside from lifestyle - this used to be my job. Over that time, I've seen crap packing far too often - Canfield's delivery was stellar - I know it's a small thing to some but after dealing with crushed bikes it's good to see proper packing. Easy steezy as it should be.

Pleased to see this on my porch:

Canfield Project DJ - Uncharted territory-img_2358.jpg

Here's the frame. Nice:

Canfield Project DJ - Uncharted territory-img_2360.jpg
    Canfield Project DJ - Uncharted territory-img_2362.jpg

I'm totally novice for DJing; egoless so if you have build or progression recommendations please share. Feel free to share you build and riding in this thread.

More to come!

mtbr member
    Nice..... keep putting off building one.... need to pull the trigger and just do it. Be nice to use at Ray's mtb park .. may the bike building force be with you
    Trying to painfully relive some of youthful adventures!!

mtbr member
    Absolutely love my DJ. Usually gets used for street rides more than dirt, but has been awesome none the less.
    2014 Canfield Jedi - 2014 Canfield Balance - 2012 Canfield DJ

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I've been very tempted to pick up one of these and swap the parts over from my current bike. looking forward to seeing your build.
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning." 2drsrbtrrthn4

Canfield Brothers
    I'm doing a DJ build tonight for a good friend of mine. I'll post up a few pics tomorrow...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    I'm totally novice for DJing; egoless so if you have build or progression recommendations please share. Feel free to share you build and riding in this thread.
    One piece of advice...I HIGHLY recommend you get a spiderless crank/chainring setup so you can run something smaller than a 32T ring. 32T BARELY clears the frame.

Also, if you are getting a rear wheel with a single speed only rear hub...get one with metric threads instead of english threads. The smallest english thread freewheel available is 16T which is a bit fast spinning with a maximum chainring of 32T. With the metric threads you can get freewheels down to 13T.

Ask me how I know this .

Pretty crappy picture, but here is my bike...

Your bike sucks
    Brilliant first hand advice Turbo. Thanks a million. Good looking bike too.

Cool to see the thread getting some attention. I'm really excited about this build and more importantly riding the hell out of the damn thing.

I'm sort of laughing to myself. My originally planned to buy a junker for around $350. Then started my build project and said 'target under a $1G'. Pretty sure I can plan on exceeding that.

I'm sure some of this is personal preference but recommendations on a basic target gear ratio? Sounds like 2:1 (52'') is too low... searches say around gear inches 55'' to low 60s. So: 30X14 ish? Probably going w/ my std 175mm.

Otherwise, most the selection is around wheels and fork.

For rims I was looking at wide, burly and cheap like Sun MTX33.

Fork I want to keep close the the 485 A2C so that's mostly 100mm candidates. Thinking Marz. DJ1/2 or a older Fox 100mm. I imagine you want pretty progressive.

General thought on cockpit was 50mm stem w/ bars a bit narrower than mtb.

Brake(s) are going to be some BB7s I have laying around....

A little fun bling doesn't hurt here and probably more likely do it on this bike than my other rides so if you have an idea like 'Atomic Pimp Rims w/ the neon green background and yellow poka-dot glow in the dark skulls' throw it out there.

mtbr member
    I'm sure some of this is personal preference but recommendations on a basic target gear ratio? Sounds like 2:1 (52'') is too low... searches say around gear inches 55'' to low 60s. So: 30X14 ish? Probably going w/ my std 175mm.
    It's all personal preference but I personally like the 55-56" range for general DJ/street. If I ever get around to doing a new crank/chainring/wheel setup I will be going with either 30/14 or 28/13 setup.

Fork I want to keep close the the 485 A2C so that's mostly 100mm candidates. Thinking Marz. DJ1/2 or a older Fox 100mm. I imagine you want pretty progressive.

General thought on cockpit was 50mm stem w/ bars a bit narrower than mtb.

Brake(s) are going to be some BB7s I have laying around....
    I run a Marzocchi DJ1 and have zero complaints. Good and stiff with adjustable rebound.

I went really cheap on bars/stem with closeout Truvativ Hussefelt (40mm stem and 680mm bars), but they work well enough for me.

Brakes, I have a BB7 out back and nothing up front. I'm probably going to throw an old Avid Elixir R on it soon though because I hate the feel of mechanical discs.

Canfield Brothers
    We finished Jesse's build last night:

Canfield Project DJ - Uncharted territory-jesse-dj.jpg

Frame - Small DJ
    Fork - Marz DJ1
    Wheels - Azonic Wheels with 135x10 step down axle. (Found the axle on Price Point for $12)
    Brakes - Avid Elixer 1's
    Cranks - Canfield Brothers AM/DH 165's
    Ring - 30t Bling Ring
    Pedals - Canfield Crampon Classic
    Rear Cog - DMR 16t
    Chain - TSC halflink chain - RED
    Bars - Spank Spoon
    Stem - Spank Spike
    Post - Thomson
    Saddle - SDG Patriot

Canfield Project DJ - Uncharted territory-img_8356.jpg

Your bike sucks
    Thanks for sharing KVT. Cool build and giving me some more ideas. I'm sure your buddy is liking it.

Your bike sucks
    Progress:

Canfield Project DJ - Uncharted territory-circusfork.jpg

New Manitou Circus Expert 100mm. At first look, it's a nice fork - good reviews. Much better than other ones within my build budget and it's new so no unknown sketchy crash history.

Also selected my cranks (XO DH 175mm) which are coming off my One and the 170mm XX1s are going on the One. I have a deal going for a 28T ring swap (for a 32T since that doesn't sound like it clears the frame reasonably). Hope that works out.

For wheels, I decided to also dual purpose and get something DH-able. So, 20mm Front w/ 135/12 rear (to use the new bolt on axle I got from PP - thanks for the idea Vin). Thought here is I can swap my AM wheels on the One for this set when I put the One in DH dress kit.

That's all for now!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Canfield Project DJ - Uncharted territory

Would this bike work as a BMX race bike?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your bike sucks
    So the one benefit of being terribly sick and missing your favorite race of the season is you get time to wrap up projects. I think this came out very good - now I just need to learn what to do with it! So far I've gotten good out looping out on manuals...ha... short stays are different! Pretty excited about using the hell out of this thing.

Canfield Project DJ - Uncharted territory-img_2488_800x600.jpg
    Canfield Project DJ - Uncharted territory-img_2489_800x600.jpg
    Canfield Project DJ - Uncharted territory-img_2490_800x600.jpg

Here's the build:

Frame: Canfield DJ Matte Black - Long
    Fork: Manitou Circus Expert 100mm - White
    Front Wheel: Sun Inferno 31 32H, 3X Pauls 14G blk w/ blk nipples, 20mm DT Swiss
    Rear Wheel: Sun ADD Pro 135/12 (which uses an Inferno 31 rim so matches frnt), w/ Azonic bolt on step down adapter
    Brakes: Avid BB7, Avid Levers, 160 Orange custom rotors
    Headset: FSA Impact Orange
    Stem: Orange Spank Spoon
    Handlebar: Blue Spank Spoon
    Saddle: Chromag Overture
    Grips: Easton Havoc
    Cranks: X0 DH w/ 28T Bling Ring
    Chain: Sram 9 sp
    Cog: 13T Redline
    Pedals: Silver Blackspire Sub4
    Front Tire: Kenda Smallblock 8 2.35
    Rear Tire: Kenda Smallblock 8 2.1

The kids tell me I need to desticker everything for a laid low street cred look....

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I just ordered a frame last night. Will post some build pics once I get it going. Pretty sweet bike, I'm surprised there's not more going on in this thread!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    how y'all doing, ordered a dj frame the other day and I am pretty excited.

carl mega what do you think of the bike, any changes?
    do you like the circus expert? fork is at the top of my list

kalamath any update (got pics yet)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm waiting on a sprocket to finish the build. I misclicked and ordered one for a 22mm spindle, when I need a 19. Also needed a slightly different headset. I had a 41mm Cane Creek 110 laying around I thought might work, but this frame requires a 41.8mm. Should be done in a few more days. Pile o parts:
    Canfield Project DJ - Uncharted territory-img_1169%5B1%5D.jpg

Your bike sucks
    Howdy-ho. My bike is pretty much in the same kit as I detailed in the thread. It's good; I like it a lot. That said, I'm a beginner at this so my opinion my not count for much. The Circus is fine - the only thing I've noticed is I've never used full travel - even when I land hard and case it. Running the air preload at barely anything too.

Good luck with your build and bike! Be sure to tell us how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by blazein5 View Post
    how y'all doing, ordered a dj frame the other day and I am pretty excited.

carl mega what do you think of the bike, any changes?
    do you like the circus expert? fork is at the top of my list

kalamath any update (got pics yet)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    thanks for the replies, nice pile o' parts kalamath can't wait to see it done
    right with you carl, complete beginner as well. really wanted a bike I could ride like I did when I was a kid, manuals, bunny hops, jump everything just go play.
    I'll keep y'all updated

oh about the fork carl whats your weight, if you don't mind. looking for a really firm fork I'm about 200lbs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Final few parts arrived. Here she is! Fork seems very firm to me (which is good for a DJ I think) but then again I'm only 165 w/o gear. Hopefully can hit the pump track this weekend.

Canfield Project DJ - Uncharted territory-img_1174%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalamath View Post
    Final few parts arrived. Here she is! Fork seems very firm to me (which is good for a DJ I think) but then again I'm only 165 w/o gear. Hopefully can hit the pump track this weekend.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1174[1].jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	185.9 KB 
ID:	921220
    thats a mighty fine bike you got there, have fun
    got my frame yesterday, just need a fork and a wheel build

Your bike sucks
    Yes, nice looking bike. Looking forward to seeing some more of your guys bikes.

As you said, riding like you were when you were a kid - that's what I've been trying to do too.

My weight is about 170lbs right now. I was a bit lighter when I first got it (162 or so). Fork is still firm even with a few extra pizzas and beers in me.