Bike to the Bone...

Canfield The One, suspension system question

I've been wondering, and I think it's a unique system that the one uses, or is it a perfected system from another design?

perpetual pucker factor
    Canfield pros, please correct me if I'm mistaken here. It is a bit different than most suspension systems, but it is considered a floating pivot type suspension. The big difference that I can see is that the bottom link has less of a downward angle relative to the bottom bracket. Companies with steeper bottom link designs (like Santa Cruz and Giant for example) have links that respond very severely to pedal force. They stiffen up dramatically, effectively deactivating the suspension when you pedal hard. You can feel every pebble, giving the illusion of efficiency. The One does not stiffen up as much, which made me think that it might not be very efficient when climbing. I was incorrect. The One's suspension stays very floaty and active while climbing, and does not get hung up on rocks and roots like the 'stiffer' designs do. My current feeling is that a lot of energy is wasted when you have a rear end that stiffens up too much when pedaling. It kills your forward momentum every time you hit any bump or square edge. Canfield's is a very different philosophy , and I now believe that it climbs better than my more 'efficient feeling' Giant Reign. The One climbs deceptively fast. It floats up anything with a very soft and smooth feel to it.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Another One suspension question: how much rearward travel is there?
    Or is there any at all?

I really like my Jedi and I'm starting to want an AM bike with some rearward travel. Preferably as much as I can get without an upper pulley.

perpetual pucker factor
    I don't know exactly how much it has, but there is a bit of growth. As I was setting up the b-tension on my rear derailleur, I believe it had somewhere around 1" of growth when fully compressed, maybe a tad less, but I never measured it. I can't compare it to the Jedi, but it is very soft and cushy on square edges and through harsh chatter. It's a lot softer on edges than my Reign, Nomads I've demoed, or any other bike in its class that I've ridden. That, to me, was not expected, since it seems to have a bit less of a rearward path at the start of its stroke than bikes equipped with VPP. That's all eyeball comparison of the link angles, no real science was done. But science aside, all I know is that it's noticeably softer than any of the other bikes I've ridden that aren't dedicated DH pounders.

Some days I wonder if Canfield might have sold me an inexpensive hovercraft.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I was just on there site and it says the one has vertical travel.Maybe canfield can chime in and clarify this for us?

perpetual pucker factor
    Agreed, I'd love to get some more info from those that know. Maybe that displacement that I measured was actually the linear wheelpath you mention, as opposed to an arc path. That would make sense, as a vertical path would have a slight bit more linear distance at its max, compared to an arc that hooked back inward.

Any points of clarification from Los Hermanos Canfield?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969 View Post
    I've been wondering, and I think it's a unique system that the one uses, or is it a perfected system from another design?
    All of our suspension setups are Unique. We have developing them since 1999. More to come soon too!

mtbr member
    The One has a wheel path with very little in terms of rearward movement. Which is why it works with small front chainrings.
    In order to do a AM frame with a Jedi feel. The frame would need a Pulley wheel on it. But NOW in the age of XX1 and 9t- which make 1x drivetrains work- that kind of rearward AM frame is possible. I've thought about these a lot and want one for myself. But, CB would need more than 100 unit demand to even think about it. And the market's not ready yet, I believe.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    How much rear travel could a lower pulley accommodate by itself?

Even just half as much rear travel as the Jedi would be pretty cool, and it might be do-able with just a high single pivot, to keep things light and simple.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Sign me up as the first in the 100 needed.Especially if it were a 29er.That rearward travel would be sweet.Closest i have seen so far is the new GT force and sensor.CB could lead the way with this design!

Dissolved member

Balance suspension?

Quote Originally Posted by cSquared View Post
    The One has a wheel path with very little in terms of rearward movement. Which is why it works with small front chainrings.
    In order to do a AM frame with a Jedi feel. The frame would need a Pulley wheel on it. But NOW in the age of XX1 and 9t- which make 1x drivetrains work- that kind of rearward AM frame is possible. I've thought about these a lot and want one for myself. But, CB would need more than 100 unit demand to even think about it. And the market's not ready yet, I believe.
    My apologies for bringing this old thread back to life, but I have to ask - is the new Balance going to have this updated suspension design with a rearward axle movement?

mtbr member
    No,
    The new balance has a similar wheel path to the "One".
    But has our new suspension formula.

mtbr member
    No,
    The new balance has a similar wheel path to the "One".
    But has our new suspension formula.
    What would you expect current The One owners will "see/feel" with the new formula over The One's platform?
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

mtbr member
    The next level. It should feel very close to the one suspension in terms of what charging_rhinos commented on.
    What vin said to me was "it feels Erie" -

Vin's comments when he first rode the One was even better.
    We were in Moab on a late fall trip. Lance, Vin, and Doug Fahlbusch, and I. We had cold weather room with a brand new proto- the first "One".
    So we had the boys out in the parking lot to give it a go.
    After a quick spin, Vin came back and told Lance and I, "this thing pedals great, but can you turn off the lockout so I can feel the suspension"?
    I yelled back at him, "dude, that's a fox 5.0 coil, there is no lockout on it. Just jump up and down."

Btw- We got vin to train off mushroom rock with lance and I on that trip. Good times

Dissolved member
    Thank you c2.

mtbr member
    The next level. It should feel very close to the one suspension in terms of what charging_rhinos commented on.
    What vin said to me was "it feels Erie" -
    Whats the acceleration on the Balance like?

I ask because I've just jumped across to a Chilcotin. I expected a noticeable change from my One. And in short, I'm really surprised to see how comparable the 2011 The One (in 8" mode) sat neck-to-neck with the 2013 ,160mm custom Avy'd chilly when climbing.

In my neck of the woods there's a lot of steep ass fire road climbing, with the odd bit of chunky teck. When sitting and spinning the One is without a doubt the better of the two. It simply requires a lot less effort to sit and churn away at the climb, and get the results quickly. With the chilli it just seams that it's more of a chore to enjoy a Sunday climb. When time comes to get out of lazy mode and hit the gas the One has always responded with enthusiasm, and done what it was asked. The Chilcotin on the other hand, when given take off orders, it takes off like a bat out of hell, while at the same time offering more traction than what the One offers under heavy load.

One thing that is worth a mention is that the Chilcotin squirms all over the place when seated on the steep climbs, which requires more energy to keep the chilly heading in the right direction. Where is the The One stays planted and focused, it's happy just to sit back and enjoy the climb.