Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Canfield One - my trail assassin

Just built up this bad boy and i've had my 1st ride on it last night.

The bike i was riding before this was the 08 Jedi and i loved it

I didn't think it would compare, i didn't think it would be smooth enough coming from the Jedi - i was very wrong

Fantastic, in the tight stuff it really proved it's self, i'm still bombing down the same trails but now i am a nimble ninja cutting the trail up and leaving a massive grin on my face.

Climbing, well to be honest the Jedi was the exact same for hills, easy, almost falling up the hill, the one difference is if i push hard on the pedals the One just takes off where the Jedi could be a little slower in acceleration up the hills.

I'll spend more time on it hitting jumps and i'll report back how i have found it.

more pics over here

http://forums.freeriden.co.nz/viewtopic.php?t=6287

mtbr member
    May 2007
    That thing is beautiful!! I'm itching to build up my Diggle but with a wedding coming up, funds have dried up in a hurry. Maybe I should register for some mountain bike parts...

How much does she weigh?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gswarriorfan
    That thing is beautiful!! I'm itching to build up my Diggle but with a wedding coming up, funds have dried up in a hurry. Maybe I should register for some mountain bike parts...

How much does she weigh?
    just under 34 lbs, it's a pretty heavy build so there is a bit of weight to be saved

mtbr member
    Wait until you ride the JEDI and ONE with a coil-
    Also- notice how the suspension feel doesn't change when you shift from the 22t to the 32t. Then notice how it feels to pedal into and through bumps-
    C2

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whore
    The bike i was riding before this was the 08 Jedi and i loved it
    did you sell the jedi? this line above made it sound like you did.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba
    did you sell the jedi? this line above made it sound like you did.
    yes i have, i have a bike shop in Auckland NZ and like to change rides every 5 to 6 months.
    The Jedi was easily the nicest bike i have ever riden and i have had about 30 or so over the last 5 years.

******ed or Branded??
    yes i have, i have a bike shop in Auckland NZ and like to change rides every 5 to 6 months.
    The Jedi was easily the nicest bike i have ever riden and i have had about 30 or so over the last 5 years.
    Wow your name really suits you huh!!! You should donate those bikes once you have ridden them to a gomet that needs to have a good bike to become the next Gee Atherton!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Looks great, beautiful build.
    What size is that?
    "Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help."
    Bill Watterson's "Calvin & Hobbes"

Canfield Brothers
    He's got a small.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Holy Riser Bars

Are those 3" risers on your AM bike?
    Is that a PIKE up front?
    Why not go to a 7" fork and some normal/low rise bars?

Just wondering, since it is a 7/8" bike, right? So why mess with the geometry and unbalanced travel with a 5.5" fork?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Are those 3" risers on your AM bike?
    Is that a PIKE up front?
    Why not go to a 7" fork and some normal/low rise bars?

Just wondering, since it is a 7/8" bike, right? So why mess with the geometry and unbalanced travel with a 5.5" fork?
    i wasn't sure about the bar before i rode the bike (all parts are off another build) but it works and so does the Pike, the geo on the bike feels great, not to xc, just right,
    i don't want or need a 7 inch fork on this as i've come from a 888 WC ATA and want this to ride and feel very different

mtbr member
    I would think you would want a 160mm fork on that. I would put a 180mm if they made travel adjustable ones that actually worked.

mtbr member

Hey Bike Whore,

I think you need to check your math bro 5 to 6 bikes every 6 months over 5 years is not 30 bikes It's 20..I know this because I do the same thing and I've 23 bikes in the past 5 years.. Anyway this is really not my point (I just REALLY like things to be clear) my point is that's alot of bikes like I said I know( been there doing that ) and of all the bikes I had Canfield was NEVER one of them nor was I ever interested..You said the Jedi was easily the nicest bike you had ever riden right? Now most people who say this have had like maybe three or four bikes and at this I usually laugh, but in your case I have to ask you (if you don't mind of course) you think you could tell me what your last maybe 10 bikes were so to get a better idea what value if any your "NICEST BIKE" comment may or may not have? Just curious ( and kind of bored)..BTW I just remembered three more bikes that I had so that makes 26 in 5 years..Kind of hard to keep track you understand right? For the record my last 10 bikes.
    KeeWee.
    Turner RFX.
    Alutech
    Karpiel disco
    Turner 6-pack
    Intense 6.6
    Nicolai CC 07
    Nicolai FR
    Nicolai CC 08
    Knolly Endorphin
    And last year the best thing ever happen to me and that was I took a chance on the big wheels( 29er's) and it was the best thing I've done in the last 30 years of riding.
    Vassago Jabborwocky
    Turner Sultan (very nice)
    One one Inbred
    Banshee Paradox (coming in april)
    And a custom 5" 29er from Sinister (coming anyday now)..
    As you can see I got the 29er bug in a bad way.It's been a year this month that I got on my first 29er...Anyway like I said bored and or just curious about your "Nicest bike" comment and as a guy who lives bikes 24-7 stuff like that grabs my attention..Hey at least I'm in a good mood or this could of been REAL interesting....HaHa... Peace CF........

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    I think you need to check your math bro 5 to 6 bikes every 6 months over 5 years is not 30 bikes It's 20..I know this because I do the same thing and I've 23 bikes in the past 5 years.. Anyway this is really not my point (I just REALLY like things to be clear) my point is that's alot of bikes like I said I know( been there doing that ) and of all the bikes I had Canfield was NEVER one of them nor was I ever interested..You said the Jedi was easily the nicest bike you had ever riden right? Now most people who say this have had like maybe three or four bikes and at this I usually laugh, but in your case I have to ask you (if you don't mind of course) you think you could tell me what your last maybe 10 bikes were so to get a better idea what value if any your "NICEST BIKE" comment may or may not have? Just curious ( and kind of bored)..BTW I just remembered three more bikes that I had so that makes 26 in 5 years..Kind of hard to keep track you understand right? For the record my last 10 bikes.
    KeeWee.
    Turner RFX.
    Alutech
    Karpiel disco
    Turner 6-pack
    Intense 6.6
    Nicolai CC 07
    Nicolai FR
    Nicolai CC 08
    Knolly Endorphin
    And last year the best thing ever happen to me and that was I took a chance on the big wheels( 29er's) and it was the best thing I've done in the last 30 years of riding.
    Vassago Jabborwocky
    Turner Sultan (very nice)
    One one Inbred
    Banshee Paradox (coming in april)
    And a custom 5" 29er from Sinister (coming anyday now)..
    As you can see I got the 29er bug in a bad way.It's been a year this month that I got on my first 29er...Anyway like I said bored and or just curious about your "Nicest bike" comment and as a guy who lives bikes 24-7 stuff like that grabs my attention..Hey at least I'm in a good mood or this could of been REAL interesting....HaHa... Peace CF........

good moods are a great thing

i should of been a little clearer, some i have had for only a month or a few weeks

last 10 bikes...

Canfield Jedi
    Giant Reign X
    Giant Glory 8
    Giant Faith
    Iron Horse 7.5
    Banshee Pyre
    Banshee Scream (2 of over the years)
    Giant Glory DH
    Intense Uzzi
    Iron Horse MkIII

the Jedi being the "nicest" was that because of the finish, because of the ride, for how it handles hard bumps and for the traction and because of how low and stable it felt.

you have bike commitment issues btw

and cheers for calling me out of he bike count, it's easy to ramble on on the internet

mtbr member

Great reply,

good moods are a great thing

i should of been a little clearer, some i have had for only a month or a few weeks

last 10 bikes...

Canfield Jedi
    Giant Reign X
    Giant Glory 8
    Giant Faith
    Iron Horse 7.5
    Banshee Pyre
    Banshee Scream (2 of over the years)
    Giant Glory DH
    Intense Uzzi
    Iron Horse MkIII

the Jedi being the "nicest" was that because of the finish, because of the ride, for how it handles hard bumps and for the traction and because of how low and stable it felt.

you have bike commitment issues btw

and cheers for calling me out of he bike count, it's easy to ramble on on the internet
    Good stuff bro, I was a little worried you may have a bad case of thin skin ( like MANY around here) after I posted that up..glad to see you clearly don't and thanks for a great reply....BTW my "Bike commitment issues" are at the bottom of my things I need to fix about myself list...HaHaHaHa.. Truth is I really don't I'm just very very lucky that I'm able to get alot of things for free and or at cost or I'd NEVER be able to afford all these great bikes that I've been very greatful to have had the chance to own..I think the Nicolai's are really about the best stuff I've owned and would most likely still be riding one( at least one ) if not for the whole 29er thing like I said...I think the new Nicolai Helius AM is just about as good as it could ever get..and I'm sure the new 09 DW-link Turner RFX is going to be a winner....But for me bro the big wheels are just sooo much fun...Anyway I wouldn't mind swinging a leg over that Canfield of your as I'm sure it's a great bike..Enjoy and be safe..cheers.CF...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    version 2

now with a Can Diggle front end and a beefy fork.

The Canfield One was a lemon, the forks collide with the frame and i am told there is no fix available, very poor design, i've had a lot of bikes over
    the years and i am still amazed that frame builders/designers get tripped up on this

i have to add that the back up i haven't had with the Ones issues has been very poor.

anyway, i have kept the One rear end and bolted on a Can Diggle front end.

biking is fun
    nice build man

one questions, how many couches from the 70's did you have to kill to make that seat?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba
    nice build man

one questions, how many couches from the 70's did you have to kill to make that seat?

none of those couches deserved to live, it's a Spank tweet seat

mtbr member
    Hmmmm What size is that frame ? I thought the downtube didnt contact on the larges ? Many bikes have this issue as the forks' designs have changed. Seems like a small thing compared to all the other things you loved about the bike ? Seems like this one thing erased all the things you liked ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Playdeep
    Hmmmm What size is that frame ? I thought the downtube didnt contact on the larges ? Many bikes have this issue as the forks' designs have changed. Seems like a small thing compared to all the other things you loved about the bike ? Seems like this one thing erased all the things you liked ?
    the bike is a small, it comes directly into contact with all forks i am told, this from a single crown fork is totally unacceptable

say who have an off or drop the bike, say you like to turn your bars jumping then the top of the fork comes into contact denting the frame and damaging tuning knobs on the fork.

i will enjoy the Diggle and i loved my Jedi, the One's poor design is disappointing

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Whore:
    Do you have a picture of the down tube after the fork crown touched it? Hopefully you caught this before you went of any "sick jumps" (N. Dynamite). I was insterested in The One but this may turn me away not that I am a big air man but I do have get offs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Techz
    Whore:
    Do you have a picture of the down tube after the fork crown touched it? Hopefully you caught this before you went of any "sick jumps" (N. Dynamite). I was insterested in The One but this may turn me away not that I am a big air man but I do have get offs.

no pics sorry. i had 1 ride on it and discovered the contact, a couple of scuffs on the tuning knobs, but it could of easily damaged them.

apparently only the large has clearance

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Playdeep
    It was a small ONE frame!
    "Forks have changed"
    hey bro been awhile, we have chatted many times, but this is not correct!

The fork BW was using was a PIKE it has been around for 5 years, maybe not be the rec fork but 36s Lyriks also have been in production for sometimes since 04 36s Lyriks 07 at least!

With CAD programs a simple Jig or a call to manufactures its not hard to get speccs in this day and age when its ya core business making frames!

This is not a rant @ Canfeild just a pointing out of your statement this does not help clean up the industry it covers up its short comings and is too common! I saw the exact same thing on a hard tail the other day a medium 09 model on same fork which is specced on the frame! unacceptable!

On a positive note, the Diggle is the frame I wanted to see BW on, hes a good friend and I loved his Jedi, the Diggle rocks, the angles even with the PIKE were cool.

With the Totem it looks great, if I was in the market or was riding really again the Diggle would be my choice I think its got the angles and the ride I like plus you can go either way in build and have what look an amazing ride without compromise!

Wish they had got the ONE as dialed, sure it will in time just needs some sorting is all..but ya need to get those things right at this level and cost in this market!

Wikid ride BW, so the Totem got the better of ya huh
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Yeah that is just what i have been told by people who know forks. Good to know they havent changed. I am told by large frame owners it doesnt occur on the larges. For those whom I know are using bumpers on the small frames --- they seem to think it small issue for all the frame does for them. Certainly not saying it wouldnt be nice to not have this be a concern. Just seemed odd the way BW loved the bike and all of the sudden to call it a lemon for such a design flaw. No disrespect meant, just wasnt understanding.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I am pretty sure I have clearance on my medium

Before getting the bike I researched the problem. On the small frames there is a teenie, tiny overlap if you use a Cane Creek S3+5 and Ventanna 70mm race (check out flip's post in the Yeti forums). On the medium it either clears outright or requires one the lengthening solutions. To be safe I ordered both before I got the bike. No problems with my Nixon or Wotan.

Chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast