mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Canfield the one and knolly chilcotin

Hey guys just wondering if anybody has had experience with the knolly chilcotin and how it compares to the one?

I have the chilcotin and it really is a brilliant all mountain bike. Climbs, single trails and downhill. Only issue is I can't use it for going downhill really hard because of the 160mm fork. I can put a 180mm on it but I think it won't be as enjoyable going up and single trail. Right now it's perfect.

I used to have an intense ss which was brilliant going downhill with the 180mm so i'm thinking about getting the one and sticking a 180mm on it so that I can enjoy the downhills more.

What you guys think?

mtbr member
    Do it.....then you would have a bike that goes up down and all around .....and it would be enjoyable the whole time.....
    I have few other rides built up for the more mellow trails but I always seem to grab the ONE when loading up the truck..
    Trying to painfully relive some of youthful adventures!!

mtbr member
    I havenít tried a Chilcotin but I used to have a Delirium as my do it all burly AM bike. The One is in every aspect better than the Delirium, it can easily out climb the Delirium and is a lot more fun in the downs, accelerates extremely fast, super nimble, and super stable at high speed (if it sound like a super bike, I like to think of her that way).

Just for comparison, we did a mano-a-mano on a steep fire road climb against a Giant Reign; the three of us who rode both bikes agreed (even the reign's owner) that The One climbed better. The One had a burly AM built around 35lbs.

The One is by far the best bike I have tried. Customer service and quality of manufacture is on par with Knolly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    ...es como acomodarte los calzones, seguro lo puede hacer alguien pero es mejor que lo haga uno mismo

mtbr member
    I have thrown a leg over a Delerium T prior to buying my first The One and if that is similar to the Chilcotin, then I agree The One is a better all-rounder. Perhaps the weight of the One would be slightly more. But the reason i felt the One was better is due to the suspension design. When I rode the Delerium, I noted that the use or a platform shock helped smooth out the suspension action when climbing or pedaling in general, I think this is what I normally experience with FSR designs. With the One, there is barely any movement if any when similarly pedaled. No platform shock of any kind needed. Efficient. The One is pretty deceiving, being that it has so much travel...but as an example i keep mine in 8" mode all the time now and it climbs perfectly fine this way. Really can't even think of a comparable bike in this regard.

The Delerium was very plush indeed on rough terrain, but even more-so was the One imho. Between the two I guess it is a wash as they both are awesome in this light. I haven't checked out the latest Delerium or Chicotin geometry, but the One is pretty new school dialed with a very slack HA and low BB (was lower in 2011 than the current version). I know the One is perfectly fine used with a dual-crown, but on the flip side can also be reduced in travel with a shorter stroke shock to make it a 6-7" bike if you want. It's this kind of versatility that demonstrates how it easily it can be adapted per your needs.

I run mine in 8" mode with a 180mm 66 RC3 evo ti and Hammerschmidt. It weighs 35-ish lbs, but I ride this everywhere. It's my one bike now. Haven't been phased with the weight as i can't tell anymore...it just rides great. I'd wholeheartedly recommend it if you want to run a 180mm fork on a "do it all" kind of bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Wow that's some pretty high praise. Are you guys comparing it with the delirium T or the new delirium? Cause I know that the chilcotin and the new delirium are superb.

If you guys are saying that the one is on par or above the new delirium or chilcotin in climbing then I must try it.

Was out to day with the chilcotin which is superb but I do miss the feeling of riding with a 180mm. The one seems like the answer.

What year version is the current "the one"? Is there a newer version planned? Not sure if I should get the current version or wait for the new one?

mtbr member
    My comparison was with the "new" Delirium - I think I got the second last one to be sold by Knolly. And yes, my believe is The One is on par or outperforms the Delirium in every regard. Im comparing both bikes with a 170mm fork; The One with 8in rear travel. first comparisson was with a 2012 The One, and then I replaced my Delirium with a 2013 The One. Pretty much the same bike except form head angle and BB height adjustments made in 2013. Using an angleset or something in the like you can get either of them to permorm like the other. 2012 was more DH oriented (slacker/lower); 2013 is still pretty slack and low as it is. As Kameraguy said, it has a pretty much dialed new school geometry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    ...es como acomodarte los calzones, seguro lo puede hacer alguien pero es mejor que lo haga uno mismo

mtbr member
    I had the first gen One, then found a good deal on a used Delerium T in 2010 (1.5 headset was appealing). But held off to get a 2011 One due to the better pedaling characteristics in general as well as the lower BB and slacker HA. Got the 2011 and loved it. Then I also got a 2013. It has a slightly higher BB where the 2011 is around 13.5" and the 2013 just slightly higher.

As a side note: some have run 650B wheels on the 2011. I think the 2012 isnt any different but the 2013 has less cleaeance so cant do it on this year. Basically, get the 2011 and 2012 if you want the lowest BB versions and my understanding clearance to run 650b wheels. The 2013 morphs ever so slightly from a focused DH geometry.

Bike to the Bone...
    While I'm not in the market searching for a new bike (marriage coming soon, no budget for bike stuff), I was comparing both bikes (One and Chili). One of the things that I've been reading regarding the One is that because of the low bottom bracket, they were recomending shortercranks (165 or 170). Looking at the bike Geo on both bikes, the BB heights are pretty much the same, but I haven't heard anything on the Knolly. Why is it an issue on the One? Or it's that the geo tables I'm looking at are 2013 and for this year Canfield raised a little the BB? Just some questions running in my mind.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    This is the terrain that I ride with the chilcotin. We go up and down this loose stepped and sometimes steep trails. Going down is fine but I can't fly down it like I did with my intense ss where it had 180mm.

Going up is actually quite good with the chilcotin but I do get pedal strikes. Especially when climbing and need to lift up those ledges. Some ledges are almost a full foot. This is where I get stuck from time to time.

So if "the one" can climb up this terrain then i'm pretty much sold as I know it can go down very well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield the one and knolly chilcotin-parra-terain.jpg  

Canfield the one and knolly chilcotin-toms-chilli.jpg  

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969 View Post
    While I'm not in the market searching for a new bike (marriage coming soon, no budget for bike stuff), I was comparing both bikes (One and Chili). One of the things that I've been reading regarding the One is that because of the low bottom bracket, they were recomending shortercranks (165 or 170). Looking at the bike Geo on both bikes, the BB heights are pretty much the same, but I haven't heard anything on the Knolly. Why is it an issue on the One? Or it's that the geo tables I'm looking at are 2013 and for this year Canfield raised a little the BB? Just some questions running in my mind.....
    We raised the BB a bit on the 13's to accommodate for the fact that most of our customers are building them as an aggressive AM bike. We originally designed the One as a lightweight race bike, so the geo was based off of running them with a longer DC fork. Geo's are generally listed as static #'s, therefor, sagged can be quite different. (Think Santa Cruz listing their V10 as a 65 head angle). The other factor that comes into play with your comparison is the difference in travel between The One and the Knolly Chilli. The BB on our The One will be lower at sag and bottom out due to this, hence recommending shorter cranks.
    Last edited by KillingtonVT; 08-19-2013 at 04:03 PM.

perpetual pucker factor
    First, congratulations on the upcoming marriage! My guess is that it has to do with either Canfield being completely honest and open with their customer service, and/or the larger amount of rear travel on the One. I run about 30% sag on my DBair, in 8" mode. Assuming they start with the same exact BB height when unweighted, the Chili has just over 20% less rear wheel travel total. So if it were running 30% sag, it would be sitting a tad higher. That 'lean and low' geometry is to be expected since the One is a pretty good crossover into the DH world.

I'm running 170mm cranks on my '12 One, and I do get the occasional pedal strike. I did still get them on my Reign that had something like a 14" bb height though. Maybe I'm just a hack. But after the first few weeks I got FAR less pedal strikes. I don't even think about it anymore. I've just started pedaling a bit smarter when in the really rough stuff. It feels completely normal and natural now.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Bike to the Bone...
    Running it at 7", it would make it a tad higher then, right?

Canfield Brothers
    Running it at 7", it would make it a tad higher then, right?
    The BB would be lower in 7" mode.