Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-canfield-brothers-epo.jpg

The Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er

In our never ending quest to push product boundaries, we present the Canfield Brothers EPO. It's the first carbon 29er made for aggressive riders with our Canfield Brothers 29er geo. Slack and low with super short 414mm chainstays. It's the only carbon 29er hardtail tough enough to wear a skull on the headtube.

EPO is no longer just for roadies.

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-canfield-brothers-epo-2.jpg

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-canfield-brothers-epo-4.jpg
    Features:
    ● Carbon frame tested for aggressive all-mountain use
    ● 66.8 with a 140mm fork / 67.9 HA with a 120mm fork
    ● Super short 414mm chainstays
    ● Front derailleur compatible
    ● 14212 dropouts with Maxle included
    ● Threaded 73mm BB for creak free riding
    ● ISCG 05 tabs
    ● Matte black with white, blue or red graphics
    ● Available in medium and large
    ● 1450 grams

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-canfield-brothers-epo-geo.jpg

Chris Canfield testing one of our prototype EPOs. Riding images by Lee Trumpore.
    Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-canfield-brothers-epo-6.jpg

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-canfield-brothers-epo-7.jpg

For more info please see our website.
    Last edited by KillingtonVT; 04-15-2015 at 01:45 PM.

Trophy Husband
    I like it.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Nice!Have you tried fitting any of the 27.5+ tires yet?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Very very nice!

Canfield Brothers
    27.5 wheels will fit as well or better than the Yelli and N9. But no, haven't fitted it with those YET.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    OMG that frame looks so awesome! I would love to get one to replace my Yelli. Too bad the price is way out of my range.

mtbr member
    Looks awesome! What's the routing option for dropper posts?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    Looks awesome! What's the routing option for dropper posts?
    Wondering the same thing but looks like External routing only from the pictures on the site.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Wow. That's awesome!

mtbr member
    Any plans of adding a S and XL in the future. Ohh and drool.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WNC Native
    Sweet!!
    Last edited by nitrousjunky; 04-14-2015 at 01:42 PM.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    Any plans of adding a S and XL in the future. Ohh and drool.....

This, I need something bigger than a large.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    welp, this is pretty much my dream bike. Now to decide if I can swing the upgrade cost for the ~1.5# weight savings over my Yelli. A Pike would be great too.

mtbr member
    Integrated headset is an interesting choice.

Rocks belong
    Wonder how carbon would ride compared to, say, the titanium Titus Fireline Evo? Which would be smoother?
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Any built in SS capabilities?

mtbr member
    Please tell me it will eventually be available in XL...I'll just hand over the money if so.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Orca View Post
    Please tell me it will eventually be available in XL...I'll just hand over the money if so.
    This.

I'm still scratching my head over why it was left out in the first place. I guess those molds are some serious coin or something.

Can't wait to hear some ride reports on this one. This one fills a gaping hole in the market. ie - slack carbon hardtail ripper.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Any info on warranty and crash replacement policy?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Pretty glad I didn't buy a Nimble 9 yet. Now to find the extra $900.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    That thing is sick !!what's the build weight as pictured?

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MostChillin View Post
    This.

I was very tempted to try to return the N9 I just ordered and order one of these but decided steel for a couple of months while these trickle into the market was the best direction for me.

I'm confident that Canfield did carbon properly but a couple (or more) votes of confidence via real world experiences will sway me. Along with more info on the warranty.

I can see a steel SS and geared carbon by fall.
    I'm doing the same thing.
    I just did a deal on a Honzo, going to roll with that and when the money becomes available, seriously consider going the EPO. Give some other early adopters the chance to test em out first.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    Any built in SS capabilities?
    This ^
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning." ShakyPuddin

hispanic mechanic
    Very excited to see this frame finally released in the wild.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    I appreciate the fact that CB releases the EPO and has frames available to order at the same time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopbreakindown View Post
    I appreciate the fact that CB releases the EPO and has frames available to order at the same time.
    Yes what an easy way to avoid a pages long mtbr thread of butthurt about the delivery time!

This frame is so awesome! Another example of the brothers creativity and willingness to take a risk on a niche market. My next bike is definitely going to be a Canfield. These guys continue to innovate in the shredding department!

mtbr member
    I want to start off by thanking everyone for the kind words on our new EPO. This is a project that has been in the works since I came on board almost three years ago. (Can't believe it's been almost three years already!). We are working with one of the highest end carbon facilities in the world, not a cheaper factory in China. Our factory produces some of the highest end frames on the market and are widely known for their quality. The toughest part for us is due to our size, the production time has been incredibly long as the factory's other partners have huge orders that subsequently pushed our lead times back. The great part is the factory really supports us and our vision to create something very different in the market place. At first, it took a lot of convincing how different our market is and how we were not looking to create a 2 lb race bike. They just didn't understand when we told them how this bike was going to be ridden. We told them it would be heavily jumped and ridden way more aggressively than anything else in this genre. We prototyped several carbon layups and finally in the end created a hardtail that passed the same testing standards as a burly all-mountain frame. (This is unheard of in the 29er hardtail world).

Moving on to all of your questions, so I'll see if I can answer them all in this post.

Sizes Unlike building an aluminum or chromo frame, with carbon, everything starts with a mold. For a small company like us, carbon mold charges are a HUGE expense. As smalls and x larges combined make up only 20% of our sales, we decided to start with mediums and larges. We are hoping the EPO is successful enough for us to bring the other sizes into the line down the road, however we are talking at least a year to year and a half before that could be a possibility.

Single Speed For the EPO to be converted to a dedicated SS frame, this would require new dropouts. Again, this is something on our radar, but would require a entirely new rear mold to do so. For the time, the Nimble 9 is our dedicated SS bike featuring our own custom dropouts.

Warranty Our carbon bikes will have the same warranty as all of our bikes. Two years against manufacturing defects, lifetime crash replacement. Our full warranty policy can be found on our webstore. Warranty

Clearances We designed the EPO to have as much chainring clearance as possible with our targeted CS length of 414mm. We did our real world testing with both Sram and Shimano 2x sets as well as several 1x's. The EPO also as enough room to run a Maxxis 2.5, it's a bit tight but we have been running our demos with 2.5 Minions. We also slid in a 27.5+ set up and have plenty of room, (it was a WTB Trail blazer mounted to our 28mm wide rims however, so we can't say for sure what a wide rim setup will look like).

Stock We have a limited amount of inventory instock and ready to ship now. Our 2nd , much larger production is almost completed and I will update the webstore on it's ETA as soon as I have more information.

We really want to thank our customer base for the the support and helping us continually push the boundaries on how our bikes ride!

-The Bros
    Last edited by KillingtonVT; 04-16-2015 at 10:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Heartbroken about the XL, but also very happy you guys have started down the path and totally understand the cost consideration for you guys...I've designed and spec'd molds for a diesel engine company. Big $$$

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I'm assuming the 500mm stack on the medium is a typo, what is the actual stack. This frame actually has me interested in a 29er for the first time.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I'm assuming the 500mm stack on the medium is a typo, what is the actual stack. This frame actually has me interested in a 29er for the first time.
    Travis - Thanks for the heads up. I just updated the site with it's proper 593mm/23.3 stack height on the Medium.

mtbr member
    We had Monday scheduled for an action shoot, but the weather didn't want to play nice, it ended up pouring our all day -go figure April in the PNW. Chris was a trooper and still went out for us. Unfortunately, it was raining just to hard to get any solid images. I figured I would post these anyways so show off how beautiful the black/blue combination is.

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-img_6126.jpg

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-img_6048.jpg

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-img_6123.jpg

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post
    Travis - Thanks for the heads up. I just updated the site with it's proper 593mm/23.3 stack height on the Medium.
    Thank you, that's quite reasonable for a 29er. Great looking frame.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Not cool Canfield - next time please give me a good year's notice before releasing something this sweet. I need the time to formulate a detailed master plan that will prevent my wife from getting ticked when this frame eventually shows up on our doorstep. Now my lack of preparedness will cause me to miss a few production runs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Orca View Post
    Heartbroken about the XL, but also very happy you guys have started down the path and totally understand the cost consideration for you guys...I've designed and spec'd molds for a diesel engine company. Big $$$
    Yeah, I had to stop reading after the size part - I don't want to know any more about how great the EPO is. Shame that apparently only people of little kid-stature ride bikes these days.

OTOH, I would have ordered one already and I probably shouldn't spend the money right now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    We prototyped several carbon layups and finally in the end created a hardtail that passed the same testing standards as a 160mm all-mountain frame. (This is unheard of in the 29er hardtail world).
    So can it take a 160mm fork, like a Fox 36 29er?

*DUCKS*

Canfield Brothers
    The EPO was tested to AM standards with a 140mm fork. That is CRAZY is most peoples eyes. We don't recommend a 160mm fork, the BB will be too high, geo would be wacked. We recommend running a 120mm to 140mm fork. That will keep the geo proper and the overall feel of the bike balanced. (and keep your warranty intact).
    www.mtbparks.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have a 2015 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO 29 hardtail and am thinking about buying this frame and swapping out all the components....any advice?

mtbr member
    What fork offset was the frame designed to use?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by c-wal View Post
    What fork offset was the frame designed to use?
    made for a 120. the pike is standard and has a HA of 68 degrees

mtbr member
    The Pike is available in 46 and 51 offsets. Which offset was the frame designed around?

mtbr member
    AM GEO in carbon? Its about time someone finally did it, and glad to see it was CB!!

Oh, and that GEO.....just awesome
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake

mtbr member
    The Pike is available in 46 and 51 offsets. Which offset was the frame designed around?
    I was told by someone at Canfield that "51mm is fine." Not a definitive answer, but that's what they said via text. I did some research and decided to build mine up with a 46mm pike based on this: Art's Cyclery Blog » Ask a Mechanic: 29er Forks – 46mm or 51mm Offset?

Also I have a lot of experience with slack hardtails and find that I prefer less twitchy handling. When I upgraded the fork on my old honzo to fox 34 51mm offest it was very twitchy. Adjusting the chainstays to a longer setting made it more stable. The EPO has super short stays so I'm erring on the side of stability and I want a little shorter wheelbase.

I believe both will work but will handle slightly different. I ride clips and ride the front more and I find a lower offset works better for that. If you ride the back more, more offset feels better. Just my experience, nothing scientific.

mtbr member
    Good GAWD I want this.

mtbr member
    My brain has been whirling the last 4 days..... With 1 big question! Being I have 8 of the Bros bikes in my home... Do you guys think my wife will see (2) more in the fleet???? (EPO and the Riot)Provided I keep the color schemes similar to blend in with the others.

I guess I will have to man up and just do it!!!! Lol

mtbr member
    C-wal - We prefer the 51mm offsets on all of our 29ers.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    Yeah, I had to stop reading after the size part - I don't want to know any more about how great the EPO is. Shame that apparently only people of little kid-stature ride bikes these days.
    Next time one of you tall bastards is standing in front of me at a concert and blocking my view, I won't get mad. I'll just think about how my awesomely average height allows me to have an EPO. Kid stature ftmfw!

Wish I could get one right now, but I just dropped a bunch on another bike. I knew this was going to happen. Dammit. Gonna have to wait for batch two or three. I'll order a 142 conversion from King to get started.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Pic of one with the red decals?

mtbr member
    Posted pics of my build on Instagram: #canfieldbrothersEPO

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rsullivan View Post
    My brain has been whirling the last 4 days..... With 1 big question! Being I have 8 of the Bros bikes in my home... Do you guys think my wife will see (2) more in the fleet???? (EPO and the Riot)Provided I keep the color schemes similar to blend in with the others.

I guess I will have to man up and just do it!!!! Lol
    Yes just do it!Lol And mount up some wide 27.5+ and let us know if they fit!Lol

Norwegr
    I wish my brand new fs frame was just a dream so I would still have the money to buy this.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by carabao View Post
    Looks rad. What's that seat post?

mtbr member
    Thanks! KS Lev Ti 125mm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboyjong View Post
    Looks rad. What's that seat post?
    30.9mm fyi

mtbr member
    What is the weight on that bad boy?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Pic of one with the red decals?
    92gli - The three EPO colorways:
    Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-canfield-brothers-epo-white.jpg

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-canfield-brothers-epo-blue.jpg

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-canfield-brothers-epo-red.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steele501 View Post
    Steele501 - 1450g, about a pound and a half lighter than our Yelli.

mtbr member
    Beautiful build Ray!
    Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-ray-carabaoray.jpg

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Red would match my hubs, white would match my fork... Hmm. First world problems. Ha

My yelli will be 4 years old in the fall. Ever since I entered the world of full time employment after college, I've never ridden the same bike or frame this long. I think the longest before the yelli was 2.5 years. It's really a testament to how great the canfield 29ers handle.
    Last edited by 92gli; 04-20-2015 at 05:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    CB is seriously my favorite company out there. I could justify owning every bike they make. Hats off to a company of riders making bikes for riders. I love my Yelli, and $1700 from now, I hope to love an EPO.

Lance, feel free to PM me about product testing
    no chain no gain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steele501 View Post
    26 lbs as she sits.

mtbr member
    26 lbs as she sits.
    How does it compare to the Honzo?
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    How does it compare to the Honzo?
    You know how much I loved the Honzo. It's just a bad ass bike, period, but this bike is the Honzo on EPO. Great geo, much lighter, much faster climbing and sprinting, yet does not feel harsh descending. To be fair, the Pike may have a lot to do with that, not sure. I think the Honzo's steel frame feels like it has a little more traction climbing rougher stuff but the power transfer and lightweight of the EPO outweigh that advantage for me and my trails.

I'm still getting to know the EPO but love it so far. I'm on a loaner set of wheels right now and it's only going to get better with my permanent set. I'll do a legit write up as soon as I really put it through its paces. On the XCish stuff I've been doing, it's ripping. This weekend rims are going to need truing and knobs will be torn, haha.

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Attachment 983378
    Attachment 983379
    Canfield and Carbon.....AMAZING
    Not sure why mtbr is flipping photos upside down

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have a 2015 Stumpjumper EVO HT that has similar geo, but it is aluminum. I am thinking of pulling the trigger. Is there anywhere one can test the EPO....I live in Baltimore, MD

8p8
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Amazing........... can it fit a 2.5 rear tire?

I love it.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Is this the only carbon frame that they make?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8p8 View Post
    Amazing........... can it fit a 2.5 rear tire?

I love it.....
    Thanks! We have our demos built up with Maxxis Minion 2.5's, but it's tight in there. If you ride in muddy conditions, I would recommend something slightly smaller to eliminate rub your chainstays.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Can anyone comment on the ride quality? Is the vertical compliance similar to titanium?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Lol

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks! We have our demos built up with Maxxis Minion 2.5's, but it's tight in there. If you ride in muddy conditions, I would recommend something slightly smaller to eliminate rub your chainstays.
    will these bikes ever be Boosted?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Radioinactive View Post
    I sure hope not. If sheeple end up forcing the subject on them, I hope I can get a frame before that nonsense.

mtbr member
    Nice....one step closer to a Carbon ONE. *crossing fingers*

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Up there in Killington, any chance that a single-speed option will be available for this astonishment of a frame? That's the only thing holding me back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Collins View Post
    Up there in Killington, any chance that a single-speed option will be available for this astonishment of a frame? That's the only thing holding me back.
    2nd that. I'd rather not have to go with a chain tensioner.

Canfield Brothers
    That's a Nimble 9. You'll need a tensioner with the EPO. There are some magic ring combinations that I've seen people use that gets the chain just the right length to be Single speedable.
    www.mtbparks.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike View Post
    That's a Nimble 9. You'll need a tensioner with the EPO. There are some magic ring combinations that I've seen people use that gets the chain just the right length to be Single speedable.
    How's that work? When the chain stretches do they just replace the entire chain or do they change their gearing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Collins View Post

You could use a philcentric BB to achieve your goal, no?

https://www.philwood.com/products/bb...hilcentric.php

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Slovenian6474 View Post
    2nd that. I'd rather not have to go with a chain tensioner.

FYI I ran a Surly Singleator on my Yelli, it worked very well, there is no issue. I certainly wouldn't let lack of native SS capability stop me from buying the frame I wanted. I've ridden EBBs and sliders too, there was no downside to the Singleator.

There is a magic gear on the Yelli (it was probably 32:18, I can't remember) but 2 rides and the chain had stretched enough for it to be useless.

Also the Singleator is sprung, and noticeably moves through the pedal cycle as the point of maximum/minimum tension moves around the system. I have a theory (backed with no evidence) that a sprung tensioner helps smooth this.

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-img_1181.jpgCanfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-img_0355.jpg

mtbr member
    So, who's picked one of these bad boys up? I'm seriously considering ordering a large with the white decals and building it up over the next month or two, but would love to hear some real world feedback...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    i am still a little nervous that this is the only carbon frame they make....a friend of mine said the frame is no better or no worse then the "chinese carbon" ones they sell for $500 on ebay

Canfield Brothers
    Yes, this is the first carbon frame we have brought to market. We have been engineering, testing and developing this for quite a few years, and went to great lengths to make sure we have a high quality builder. We felt out quite a few different companies to produce it, and the factory we use is in Taiwan (NOT china) and builds many other company's high-end carbon frames you know and trust. This is certainly not an off the shelf frame. We have custom layups so that we can pass a more difficult testing standard than your typical XC frame. In fact, this frame was tested to all-mountain standards. I've owned one of those $500 carbon frames and it is certainly not the same.
    www.mtbparks.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcitron View Post
    i am still a little nervous that this is the only carbon frame they make....a friend of mine said the frame is no better or no worse then the "chinese carbon" ones they sell for $500 on ebay
    Does your friend actually own the frame, or have some real-world experience with it? It would really surprise me if that statement were accurate...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Jekyll... View Post
    So, who's picked one of these bad boys up? I'm seriously considering ordering a large with the white decals and building it up over the next month or two, but would love to hear some real world feedback...
    Hopefully I'll get a few days in on a EPO when I head out to see the boys at Canfield Headquarters end of the month.... Should have a good feel for it, so when I get mine I will be ready to try and keep up with the fast boys on this machine!!!!

As far as the poster below about the friends opinion.... gunna take a lot of proof for me to NOT feel confident in what the Bros have put out... ALL their products are put thru the wringer many times over, harder than most of us could dream of riding. Only then do they feel that the product is worthy to have their name put on it!!!!

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Out for a handful of rides and have noticed so far:
    It is everything I love about the Yeli mixed with the quiet, damp ride of carbon.
    The geo is great ( the reach feels a bit longer). The bike just begs to be ridden hard up, across, or down. I could not be happier with this bike. Totally loving it!

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Lol. Yeah, common mold frames with outdated geometry and no customer service are definitely the same. Your friend is a moron.

Formerly of Kent
    Lol. Yeah, common mold frames with outdated geometry and no customer service are definitely the same. Your friend is a moron.
    XC frames with 69 degree HTAs and 2 year warranties are "outdated" and have "no customer service"?
    Death from Below.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    XC frames with 69 degree HTAs and 2 year warranties are "outdated" and have "no customer service"?
    Good lord. No one makes a generic frame like this. End of story.

mtbr member
    Does this frame have internal routing for a dropper?

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Does this frame have internal routing for a dropper?
    Thankfully, no.

Uncle
    What separates our friends from our acquaintances is that we embrace the fallacies brought by the former.

The fact that Canfield has been testing this for a few years already is enough for me. Looking beyond that, the proper weight of it suggests that it's built like a proper Canfield.
    Every rose has it's thorn.

enjoy the ear worm

FM
    mtbr member
    You know how much I loved the Honzo.
    Hey Carabao, did you had a fireline too at one point?
    Love to hear your thoughts & comparisons.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Hey Carabao, did you had a fireline too at one point?
    Love to hear your thoughts & comparisons.
    Never owned a fireline and don't knowmwhat it is. My last latest bikes were Honzo, Process 134, and Surly Instigator 2.0 27.5"

I'll start a seperate thread with a review and build specs in about a week mainly comparing to the instigator and honzo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Anyone tried this yet?
    Will this work as an XC bike on steroids? I do long rides once a week, fire road stuff for fitness.
    I would love to have a bike that could be fun riding fire roads and occasional XC race and also be fun on the downhills.
    I currently ride an Ibis Ripley and its a bike that exactly fits the profile as a full sus bike.
    Would love a Ripley hardtail
    Thanks!
    Canondale Scalpel Team 2015
    Ibis Ripley 2014
    Kona Raijin 2014 SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by we78 View Post
    Anyone tried this yet?
    Will this work as an XC bike on steroids? I do long rides once a week, fire road stuff for fitness.
    I would love to have a bike that could be fun riding fire roads and occasional XC race and also be fun on the downhills.
    I currently ride an Ibis Ripley and its a bike that exactly fits the profile as a full sus bike.
    Would love a Ripley hardtail
    Thanks!
    Ibis makes a hardtail with Ripley geo- the Tranny. With a 120 fork the geo is almost identical.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I love the look of the EPO but I find the CS length of my Yelli (424mm) handles very well. Has anyone found the EPO chainstays a bit 'too' short for XC and singletrack riding?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ghetto View Post
    I love the look of the EPO but I find the CS length of my Yelli (424mm) handles very well. Has anyone found the EPO chainstays a bit 'too' short for XC and singletrack riding?
    Whoa... Didn't notice they took another 10mm off the chainstays. While I can't really see how it would be a negative for me, I'm so used to the yelli I kind of wish it was the same. That's my problem right now - I can't motivate myself to hang the yelli on the wall.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Whoa... Didn't notice they took another 10mm off the chainstays. While I can't really see how it would be a negative for me, I'm so used to the yelli I kind of wish it was the same. That's my problem right now - I can't motivate myself to hang the yelli on the wall.
    Disclosure: I have an N9 as well as a Yelli. I tried the N9 with the slider slammed forwards (= 413mm), I actually found it a bit squirrely and pushed them back to about the Yelli position. But I didn't let on as I'm curious for other folks' opinions, and I'm going to try it again too.

I have a feeling with stays that 5mm difference when they're long probably doesn't make much difference, but there may come a tipping point as they shorten where a few mm makes a big difference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghetto View Post
    Disclosure: I have an N9 as well as a Yelli. I tried the N9 with the slider slammed forwards (= 413mm), I actually found it a bit squirrely and pushed them back to about the Yelli position. But I didn't let on as I'm curious for other folks' opinions, and I'm going to try it again too.

I have a feeling with stays that 5mm difference when they're long probably doesn't make much difference, but there may come a tipping point as they shorten where a few mm makes a big difference.

Don't forget, they didn't just shorten the chainstay, they slackened the head angle which extended the front center. I had a Honzo and played with CS length and found I didn't like them slammed to 16.3" when the fork was at 120mm, but when I went 140mm, which also extended the FC and slackened it, it got better. Still, I prefered them at 16.5~.

Now with the EPO, they just nailed the geo! So many number work together on this bike perfectly. If I had to name something I would improve I'd say the BB height is a tad low for me coming from the 13" Surly Instigator 2.0, but that also makes it handle great. Trade offs. FYI, I measure the BB at 12.5" with Ardent 2.4/Minion 2.5.

mtbr member
    Subscribed. Really want a dedicated SS option, no tensioners

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Radioinactive View Post
    I am sure they will be if you don't store them securely.

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast