Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Rich
    may have seen you on Sunday - did you try the riot first?
    Anyway, agree the EPO is better than any hardtail has a right to be...may be ordering this week too.
    For your wheels why don't you run 1x10 for now and see how they feel?
    After trying the EPO I also rode a Yelli with 650+ tyres. Interesting - just as fast up the twisty red route climb as the EPO and maybe cornered better coming back down I thought.
    So if you have some wide 650b rims already...that's something I'd certainly be interested in trying on the EPO!
    Alan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richt2000 View Post
    Hello buddy.
    The EPO is replacing both my fireline evo AND my following!

I'm going to run just the EPO for local trail and YT Capra for All-mountain very rough tech...

The EPO is a blast - never got so much air on a hard tail!
    funny you say that, I was just thinking the same thing this week. Its so easy to pop off things, ive gotten myself into a couple scary landings by getting way too much air, lol.

I ordered a riot right after getting this bike and realizing how insanely badass it was. after having more time with it though, its far more capable than I even anticipated. There is going to be a lot more crossover than I thought possible before ordering, at least for my area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock503 View Post
    realizing how insanely badass it was
    Funny how you mention this! We are using "badass" in our ads for the EPO marketing launch next week.

Yeah, I'm quite shocked on how comfortable I am on mine. I went out for shoot last Friday with Sean and Chris and there was some carbon hardtail BIG SENDING going on. Pretty stoked to release these images!

Here is a teaser:

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-epo.png

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by arclarke View Post
    Rich
    may have seen you on Sunday - did you try the riot first?
    Anyway, agree the EPO is better than any hardtail has a right to be...may be ordering this week too.
    For your wheels why don't you run 1x10 for now and see how they feel?
    After trying the EPO I also rode a Yelli with 650+ tyres. Interesting - just as fast up the twisty red route climb as the EPO and maybe cornered better coming back down I thought.
    So if you have some wide 650b rims already...that's something I'd certainly be interested in trying on the EPO!
    Alan
    Ah ok Alan, yes if you were the guy on the EPO at 10am whilst Inwas on the riot, yes it was me.

Yea maybe I will try a 650+ 2.8 tyre at some point.

So you like the EPO more than your yelli too then? ;-)

mtbr member
    Earlier in this thread they said somethint like that the would need to see how L and M sizes sold and if they make enough dosh to warrant investing in other size molds they would. You'd have read the thread to see what they said exactly.

Got my order confirmed today - shipping is 2 weeks to get to the UK though. Got everything for the build waiting. Its going to be super pimp...
    I remember their post about sizing and production. I thought you had some new and inside info so that's why I asked.

Hello buddy.
    The EPO is replacing both my fireline evo AND my following!

I'm going to run just the EPO for local trail and YT Capra for All-mountain very rough tech...

The EPO is a blast - never got so much air on a hard tail!
    Really, you sold your Following? I still think that the EPO would be a great compliment to the Following and I could build it up pimped out as a 22 lbs trail rocket!
    The Following still continues to amaze me. It is a tech climbing machine and has gotten me up some climbs 100% that were previously only 50/50 success prior on other bikes. The only thing I'll say on the down side is it can get overwhelmed in fast chunk descending but maybe additional shock tuning will help in this.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    I remember their post about sizing and production. I thought you had some new and inside info so that's why I asked.

Really, you sold your Following? I still think that the EPO would be a great compliment to the Following and I could build it up pimped out as a 22 lbs trail rocket!
    The Following still continues to amaze me. It is a tech climbing machine and has gotten me up some climbs 100% that were previously only 50/50 success prior on other bikes. The only thing I'll say on the down side is it can get overwhelmed in fast chunk descending but maybe additional shock tuning will help in this.
    The following is amazing. I just don't fit the geometry very well - I have very long legs for my body so due to the slack seat angle I end up out over the rear hub. It is amazing down hill - on everything but really fast chunk as you say. On smoother DH stuff its quicker than a 650b 170mm Enduro bike.... But on the smoother stuff, where the following excels, I could ride the EPO nearly or even equally as quick to be honest, and its a lot quicker up... You should try one. Even with the 18" seat post, because the EPO's seat angle is nice and steep, my ass is in exactly the right place.

Following will be up for sale in a few weeks in the UK

S'funny, I went to try out the Riot and ended up buying an EPO!

mtbr member
    The following is amazing. I just don't fit the geometry very well - I have very long legs for my body so due to the slack seat angle I end up out over the rear hub. It is amazing down hill - on everything but really fast chunk as you say. On smoother DH stuff its quicker than a 650b 170mm Enduro bike.... But on the smoother stuff, where the following excels, I could ride the EPO nearly or even equally as quick to be honest, and its a lot quicker up... You should try one. Even with the 18" seat post, because the EPO's seat angle is nice and steep, my ass is in exactly the right place.

Following will be up for sale in a few weeks in the UK

S'funny, I went to try out the Riot and ended up buying an EPO!
    Thanks for the info Rich! Luckily for me the Following in small fits me damn near perfect. I'm pretty balanced proportionally at 5'7", 30.5" pant inseam and 68" wingspan.
    The way the Following climbs in technical terrain is astounding really. I've been riding with a bunch of fast kids (I could literally be their dad) lately, I'm a pretty good climber because of my build and I've been crushing the tech climbs that are leaving most hiking! I tell them it's the bike. The chunky fast stuff is really it's only Achilles heal!
    Back to the EPO, I think this bike combined with my Following will make a great 2 bike quiver. Is love to see a small size and sliders. If that happens and even if the sliders don't happen I'll most likely buy one next year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Ah ok Alan, yes if you were the guy on the EPO at 10am whilst Inwas on the riot, yes it was me.

Yea maybe I will try a 650+ 2.8 tyre at some point.

So you like the EPO more than your yelli too then? ;-)
    Yes, that was me. And yes, I definitely prefer the EPO to the Yelli

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    What's the biggest tire that will fit on the EPO? I got some Geax Goma 29x2.4 tires on 36mm internal width rims and that tire is pretty big.
    I threw it on my gen 1 yelli tonight and it barely fits. Both the seat stay and chain stay are really close to rubbing. On the non drive side seat stay and chain stay, the hairs on the tire actually touches the frame.
    Anyone that either has a yelli and EPO or tried a Goma 2.4 can tell me how it fits on the EPO?

mtbr member

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er

I'm wanting one bad now! Damn you Vin!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post
    Funny how you mention this! We are using "badass" in our ads for the EPO marketing launch next week.

Yeah, I'm quite shocked on how comfortable I am on mine. I went out for shoot last Friday with Sean and Chris and there was some carbon hardtail BIG SENDING going on. Pretty stoked to release these images!

Here is a teaser:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EPO.PNG 
Views:	168 
Size:	283.9 KB 
ID:	1020671
    Any news on the media launch? Killing to see some more vids / reviews whilst I wait for my Frame to arrive in the uk!

mtbr member
    Any news on the media launch? Killing to see some more vids / reviews whilst I wait for my Frame to arrive in the uk!
    Everything drops on Monday, but I will leave you with this:

BRAAAPPP... Sean having a little EPO fun on the shortest CS carbon 29er:
    Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-canfield-brothers-epo-manual.jpg

mtbr member
    Haha, that's awesome! The EPO is going to be one of those timeless bikes for me. No matter what changes happen in the industry, this bike is always going to be a blast to ride. Anyone that hops on it calls it cheating, lol.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Seen this?

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon Hardtail 29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by arclarke View Post
    Sweet - thanks!
    Should have my frame next week and be riding it next weekend.
    Goodbye Fireline Evo Ti, Hello EPO

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Canfield Brothers EPO

Special thanks to brand ambassador, Rampage alumni and good friend, Nick Simcik, for throwing down on this edit!

Directed by – Devon Balet Media
    Filmed/Edited by – Facing West Media
    Additional Camera – Devon Balet Media

mtbr member
    That's a great video and really shows of the EPO's capabilities. Love those lunch loop trails!

mtbr member
    is anyone selling an used large epo frame in europe?

mtbr member

And Bikemag...
    http://www.bikemag.com/gear/bikes/al...ld-epo-carbon/

Just got mine 2 weeks ago, just before prices dropped by $200!
    Hopefully the new $1500 pricetag will get more folks to take the plunge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    -Chris

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Beautiful frame. If I was up for another hardtail I would be getting this but my 50-year old bones want some squish.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by tmc1171 View Post
    Nice anyone attempt SS with a ISCG Blackspire Stinger for tension duties? Curious if that may or may not work with the chainstay shape/location.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post
    Beautiful frame. If I was up for another hardtail I would be getting this but my 50-year old bones want some squish.
    Pretty easy to add a little squish, depending how much you need. Quite a lot of clearance on this frame.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

How are you liking the 27.5 plus? How much vibration relief does it actually provide? It looks tempting. Most of my trails are relatively smooth but decades of beating myself to death is looking less appealing every time I follow someone on a full squish. Is there a stealth route for your dropper?

mtbr member
    How are you liking the 27.5 plus? How much vibration relief does it actually provide? It looks tempting. Most of my trails are relatively smooth but decades of beating myself to death is looking less appealing every time I follow someone on a full squish. Is there a stealth route for your dropper?

no stealth routing, but it tucks nicely out of the way with their routing.

I absolutely love the plus tires on this bike. its so light to begin with, the extra weight was barely noticeable pedaling the bike. you would be surprised how comfortable and compliant the frame already feels with normal 29, but the plus just add another level of comfort to the ride. you can run very low pressures, and it feels like it smooths out a lot of chatter on its own. It made my 32mm stanchion fork feel much more capable. It also really helped on technical climbs, as the back end feels planted going up chunk. I really dig it and probably wont be going back unless I wanted to race or something.

the only detrimental part for me so far, has been when Im airborne. I dont know if its some kind of gyro effect, but I noticed I have to be a little more precise with my jumps and landings or it can feel squirrelly. pretty excited to see what the industry comes out with in 27.5+ tires next year.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thank you. What does your bike weigh with the B+?

mtbr member
    With my lightweight carbon rims/tires, the final build came out to a little over 22lbs. It's about 25.5lbs with the plus tires and aluminum rims.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Man that is nuts. Did you list your build on here?

mtbr member
    Man that is nuts. Did you list your build on here?

I think so, but it's not crazy bling like some, mainly fork and wheels lose a lot of weight compared to the more burly builds.

M frame weighed in at 1485g
    CC 40 headset
    Renthal fatbar lite carbon 740mm
    Renthal duo stem 40mm
    Rockshox Reba RCT3 120mm
    X0 trail brakes 160/180
    X0 10 speed shifter/derailleur
    X01 crankset 32t
    Praxis 11-40 cassette
    RWC AC ceramic GXP BB
    KS Lev 100mm dropper
    Recourse cabling with southpaw drop lever
    Specialized Henge Expert saddle
    29er wheels are roval carbon control with sworks ground control 2.3

mtbr member
    Plus tires help a lot with old achy bones, I have them on my steel frame and noticed how much it helped vs just running normal 29er wheels and tires. Thats why I also have a full squish bike.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Haha. I have been "building" a bike for a few months. I needed to sell a high end custom pistol first. Well, it looks like it sold.

So now my bike list is in no particular order. EPO, 6 fattie, camber 29 or stumpy fsr 29.

I demoed the 6 fattie and love the fat tires. Even on narrow rims it made me seem like a pro rider. Haha.

The EPO is just the sexiest bike on the planet. It would be awesome with plus wheels.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    By building I mean planning to build

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I like that price reduction.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Yeah. But they didn't reduce the package price of frame and mrp stage.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek200 View Post
    Add them both to the cart. The price reduction carries.
    Last edited by BlueDragonX; 10-21-2015 at 01:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    I like that price reduction.
    yeah. Just asked yesterday for the euro price... 2k EUR... ouch!

mtbr member
    Derek - great catch! While the new discounts were working correctly, I zoned on posting the new package pricing in the package list. The webstore is now updated! Let us know if you have any other questions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Killingtonvt - what is the widest 27.5+ tire that'll fit on EPO? Would a 3 inch fit on a 35mm ID rim? I notice your pics were of a trail blazer but not sure how that tire compares to the specialized 3 inch tires width wise or how much the rim impacts

mtbr member
    Any word of how the bike rides/handles with a 120mm fork?

Jedi16
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    is anyone selling an used large epo frame in europe?
    EPO frames (along with other desirable Canfield frames and components) available from the UK at cranknuts custom build performance mountain bike frames and components

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepeRst View Post
    Any word of how the bike rides/handles with a 120mm fork?
    Love the way it handles and rides with 120mm, quick and capable, and climbs like a goat. I do find myself riding it harder than the intent I built it for though. It was going to be my 90%er for mostly flowy single track, xc, family rides, etc. However, it feels so capable, you ride it hard, and start looking for obstacles. Once you hit a few features and feel how stable the bike feels, it's addictive. If I was going to build it again, I would probably put a pike 120 or something burlier on it. The weight savings with my Reba is cool, but a couple hundred grams isn't going to affect the ride of this bike IME.

mtbr member
    Killingtonvt - what is the widest 27.5+ tire that'll fit on EPO? Would a 3 inch fit on a 35mm ID rim? I notice your pics were of a trail blazer but not sure how that tire compares to the specialized 3 inch tires width wise or how much the rim impacts
    The largest "27.5+" we recommend is a trailblazer 2.8. We tested the TB on a 45mm Scraper rim with great results.

mtbr member
    Love the way it handles and rides with 120mm, quick and capable, and climbs like a goat. I do find myself riding it harder than the intent I built it for though. It was going to be my 90%er for mostly flowy single track, xc, family rides, etc. However, it feels so capable, you ride it hard, and start looking for obstacles. Once you hit a few features and feel how stable the bike feels, it's addictive. If I was going to build it again, I would probably put a pike 120 or something burlier on it. The weight savings with my Reba is cool, but a couple hundred grams isn't going to affect the ride of this bike IME.
    Haha... Sounds like you are getting what the EPO is all about, it's NOT just another 29er hardtail. It was born to give you the confidence to ride out of the normal hardtail realm and give you a bigger smile at the end of every ride.

I don't think I posted my EPO up yet. Pretty excited to see both the Race Face and MRP blue matched our graphics.
    Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-canfield-brothers-epo.jpg

This was shot the day we were out on our PR shoot. We spent the day shooting Sean and Chris getting rowdy and the boys were having so much fun, I decided to join in for a couple of shots:
    Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-c-anfield-brothers-epo-jumping.jpg
    Last edited by KillingtonVT; 10-22-2015 at 01:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Haha... Sounds like you are getting what the EPO is all about, it's NOT just another 29er hardtail. It was born to give you the confidence to ride our of the normal hardtail realm and give you a bigger smile at the end of every ride.

I don't think I posted my EPO up yet. Pretty excited to see both the Race Face and MRP blue matched our graphics.

Name:	Canfield Brothers EPO.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	1023772

This was shot the day we were out on our PR shoot. We spent the day shooting Sean and Chris getting rowdy and the boys were having so much fun, I decided to join in for a couple of shots:

Name:	C anfield Brothers EPO Jumping.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	1023773
    Looks killer man! And yeah, this bike has definitely flipped the script for me, not only with hardtails, but with 29ers in general. This bike is so much fun, I'm happy with every aspect of it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hello. Someone asked how the EPO rides compared to steel, and the N9 in particular, but I didn't see any response. Apologies if I missed it. I have an XL N9 that I rode all summer at Whistler and I love it. I'm wondering how the EPO compares to the N9 for an aggressive, gravity-oriented rider (tho the bike would primarily be a trail bike). Am I wrong at picking up a bit more of an XC-to-AM vibe for the EPO? I like the idea of lightening my HT by several pounds but not at the expensive of dh fun

This is me at Whistler in a vid for a guy who needed schooling on how not to do drops. It's on my Knolly but I rode the N9 pretty much the same way on the same trails. I'm posting it here only so I can get some accurate feedback on what the better choice for me would be. Many thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjjCmeE5D60
    Last edited by SeB-66; 10-24-2015 at 06:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeB-66 View Post
    Hello. Someone asked how the EPO rides compared to steel, and the N9 in particular, but I didn't see any response. Apologies if I missed it. I have an XL N9 that I rode all summer at Whistler and I love it. I'm wondering how the EPO compares to the N9 for an aggressive, gravity-oriented rider (tho the bike would primarily be a trail bike). Am I wrong at picking up a bit more of an XC-to-AM vibe for the EPO? I like the idea of lightening my HT by several pounds but not at the expensive of dh fun

This is me at Whistler in a vid for a guy who needed schooling on how not to do drops. It's on my Knolly but I rode the N9 pretty much the same way on the same trails. I'm posting it here only so I can get some accurate feedback on what the better choice for me would be. Many thanks

EDIT: I have the dropouts slammed forward on my N9 and I absolutely love it. Others complain about squirrely but I don't see it. Prolly bc I have an XL. I see the EPO large has a way longer wheelbase than my XL N9 with slammed CS. Worried I won't like it as much. Guess I'm an XL guy who wishes he was a medium
    Not sure if this will help, but I remembered Vin posting it a while back in this thread. He's on an EPO at Whistler.
    http://youtu.be/A_rYHzUz0jI

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Not sure if this will help, but I remembered Vin posting it a while back in this thread. He's on an EPO at Whistler.
    Thanks, but I think he also said he doesn't recommend it for anyone else Maybe that was just sort of a joke.

I guess I'm wondering what the Bros have to say (the Bros, especially, but everyone else, too) on the subject and they seem active here.

Also, would the EPO have a more vertically jarring ride or would it be more compliant than the N9? Thank you

mtbr member
    "As smalls and x larges combined make up only 20% of our sales, we decided to start with mediums and larges. We are hoping the EPO is successful enough for us to bring the other sizes into the line down the road, however we are talking at least a year to year and a half before that could be a possibility."

I would spring for a small right now. A year and a half is forever in the bike industry. We'll see what more changes have occurred by then and whether it's still a viable candidate for my quiver. Understand the dilemma.

mtbr member
    Thanks, but I think he also said he doesn't recommend it for anyone else Maybe that was just sort of a joke.

I guess I'm wondering what the Bros have to say (the Bros, especially, but everyone else, too) on the subject and they seem active here.

Also, would the EPO have a more vertically jarring ride or would it be more compliant than the N9? Thank you
    I would think the EPO is way more compliant than the N9. Look at the seat stays and their shape. Plus they're carbon!

mtbr member
    I would think the EPO is way more compliant than the N9. Look at the seat stays and their shape. Plus they're carbon!
    Riding both---- I feel the EPO is quite abit more compliant than the N9-- Equal a whole lot more fun...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

I can compare it to the Stanton Sherpa (Steel) and the Fireline Evo (Ti)
    The EPO is definitely more confident inspiring than both. I found the sherpa quite twangy horizontally - where as the carbon laying of the EPO is obviously designed to be much stiffer - this is very noticeable - the EPO is much snappier and stiffer for handling.

Vertically, The EPO is as compliant or more compliant than both my steel and ti rides.

Landing to flat is definiely easier...

Its a win win - no horizontal twang but plenty of vertical compliance.
    and then an added bonus of being able to have XC weight if you want it...

Plus it handles better than any other hardtail I have ridden (including a yelli)...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Plus it's slack.
    Plus it rails.
    Its the most fun bike to pump whoops.
    Plus it's steep seat angle.
    Plus its low standover.
    Plus it looks sick.
    Plus its competitvely priced compared to other top end carbon frames.
    Plus plus plus....

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks to those making the direct comparison. Very helpful and encouraging

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Well, I know carbon reduces vibration but I wasn't sure that's the same as reducing larger impacts. For example, people say carbon fiber rims can be more jarring than aluminum rims (I know alu rims are flexy little hoops of metal).

Anyway, if people who've ridden both steel and CF say the CF is more compliant I believe it Great

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Out of curiosity, are the pin stripes on the frame decals or painted on? Thanks again

mtbr member
    Well, I know carbon reduces vibration but I wasn't sure that's the same as reducing larger impacts. For example, people say carbon fiber rims can be more jarring than aluminum rims (I know alu rims are flexy little hoops of metal).

Anyway, if people who've ridden both steel and CF say the CF is more compliant I believe it Great
    Carbon inherently is not more compliant- It more has to do with the lay up and the shaping of the frame in the chainstay/seatstay. If you look at the design of the rear end of the EPO, you will see a slight bow shape. Designed in the direction to give a slight amount of vertical flex. If you were to shape the seatstays more in a staright fashion, the bike will feel stiffer. At lest this is what i would surmise, after riding mulitiple designs of frames of all materials thru the years.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rsullivan View Post
    Carbon inherently is not more compliant- It more has to do with the lay up and the shaping of the frame in the chainstay/seatstay. If you look at the design of the rear end of the EPO, you will see a slight bow shape. Designed in the direction to give a slight amount of vertical flex. If you were to shape the seatstays more in a staright fashion, the bike will feel stiffer. At lest this is what i would surmise, after riding mulitiple designs of frames of all materials thru the years.
    Yeah, I saw the curves and could imagine why they might be designed like that, but I wasn't sure CF flexed enough to take advantage of that curviness. Anyway, thanks again for the real-world comparison! I think my N9 with really wide CF rims and 2.5 tires with low air pressure is fairly compliant, but even more compliance and lighter weight sounds really good--maybe even perfect for my needs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rsullivan View Post
    Yea agreed it is all about the design and layering.
    Hence why it is stiffer than steel/Ti horizontally and more complient vertically.

Scott's scale hardtails are designed to have 10mm verical flex on the rear wheel, I would say that the EPO feels like it has more.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Scott's scale hardtails are designed to have 10mm verical flex on the rear wheel, I would say that the EPO feels like it has more.
    for years I've been wishing for some aggro softtail. this sounds like it's close to that. getting more and more interested!

mtbr member
    Anyone going to try and set this frame up as a single speed? I would of bought the EPO already if it were SS compatible out of the box.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

first ride

Out in the woods today - not disappointed!
    Swapped stuff over from Yelli, but with added Pike. Now thinking I'll switch flat bar to riser, despite 20mm more fork. Enjoying the softer ride - the Yelli used to get tiring on stony descents. Also enjoying the jumps, corners, and climbing without perching right on the end of the saddle, this geometry is just right I think.
    Not super light build - Pike, Flows, Nobby Nic 2.35s, reverb, XT brakes and mech, AKA cranks, 1x10 - 25 lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-dsc_1390.jpg  

mtbr member
    So Swapped out my aluminum rims for carbon. Lost a little over a pound of rolling weight. Definitely feel it when picking it up, or in the air, but pedaling isn't a huge difference honestly. I think my money would have been better spent on hookers and beer, lol. Learning through experience that it's kind of pointless to worry about weight with this bike, it doesn't care.

bigger issue was dialing in the right tire pressure with the plus tires, wow did it feel sensitive. I had too much air in at first, and I was all over the place, awful. Once I got it dialed it was great, killer traction and compliance, but it took a bit to dial that perfect balance. I'm not sure if it's the weight or temp changes, but it seemed more sensitive to dial than my Al setup.

I'm thinking maybe a fox 34 is my next upgrade. I'm sure it rails at 140, but I kind of don't want to lose the 120 geo either. Anyone try the new 2015-2016 Talas? I had an older one that I didn't care for, when it worked right that is, but I've heard the new ones are a lot better.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    How's the tire clearance in your fork?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    How's the tire clearance in your fork?
    The Reba has surprisingly decent clearance. This is with about 35psi to set the tires, so after setting tire pressure the sidewall comes in a little.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Erock - did you say what tires and width rims those are?

mtbr member
    Erock - did you say what tires and width rims those are?
    no problem repeating it. Roval traverse SL 650b 30mm ID w/ WTB Trailblazer 2.8

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepeRst View Post
    Anyone going to try and set this frame up as a single speed? I would of bought the EPO already if it were SS compatible out of the box.
    Someone on here already has set up a SS with a rear tensioner. Sorry I can't remember who it was but its not that far back.
    I've also used a Blackspire Stinger on another bike to make a SS. They both work, not ideal but with half links it might not be that bad.

mtbr member
    So Swapped out my aluminum rims for carbon. Lost a little over a pound of rolling weight. Definitely feel it when picking it up, or in the air, but pedaling isn't a huge difference honestly. I think my money would have been better spent on hookers and beer, lol. Learning through experience that it's kind of pointless to worry about weight with this bike, it doesn't care.

bigger issue was dialing in the right tire pressure with the plus tires, wow did it feel sensitive. I had too much air in at first, and I was all over the place, awful. Once I got it dialed it was great, killer traction and compliance, but it took a bit to dial that perfect balance. I'm not sure if it's the weight or temp changes, but it seemed more sensitive to dial than my Al setup.

I'm thinking maybe a fox 34 is my next upgrade. I'm sure it rails at 140, but I kind of don't want to lose the 120 geo either. Anyone try the new 2015-2016 Talas? I had an older one that I didn't care for, when it worked right that is, but I've heard the new ones are a lot better.

How are you liking it with the B+ SL Fatties now?
    Vin's got me about talked into this frame and with the RS-1 I have I could run 29+ front and B+ rear as well as my big 29ers on my carbon hoops. I'd just need to build a rear B+ wheel or maybe a set.

mtbr member
    How are you liking it with the B+ SL Fatties now?
    Vin's got me about talked into this frame and with the RS-1 I have I could run 29+ front and B+ rear as well as my big 29ers on my carbon hoops. I'd just need to build a rear B+ wheel or maybe a set.
    After riding it some more, I'm feeling the difference more. Once you get the air pressure dialed in, it's a blast. Correct pressure is crucial I'm finding. I hit a section today faster than I have all summer. It's a downhill section with some switchbacks and a small hill at the bottom. I usually barely clear the hill, but today I launched off it. Very very happy today.

mtbr member
    After riding it some more, I'm feeling the difference more. Once you get the air pressure dialed in, it's a blast. Correct pressure is crucial I'm finding. I hit a section today faster than I have all summer. It's a downhill section with some switchbacks and a small hill at the bottom. I usually barely clear the hill, but today I launched off it. Very very happy today.
    Nice! Good to hear.
    I've got the Chupacabra now for a front tire and in going to run my Ikon 2.35 in the rear on my Derby 35/ I9 wheels on my Following. They'd work well on the EPO and with the 120 up front I'd still have around 67 deg head angle on the EPO (and my Following).

mtbr member
    Nice man, that should be a rocking setup. I wasn't feeling these TB a couple weeks ago when the weather turned, but now I'm finding tire pressure makes all the difference with these plus setups.

mtbr member
    Nice man, that should be a rocking setup. I wasn't feeling these TB a couple weeks ago when the weather turned, but now I'm finding tire pressure makes all the difference with these plus setups.
    Yessir it sure does. I've got a 29+ I9 Dually wheels with Knard 3.0's on my FTW rigid frame. It's set up for bike packing/ touring and is sees a lot of dirt, rock, hard pack, street pretty much everything. I've got the 120 tpi Knard's and they were a PITA to seat and seal tubeless but once I got them sealed they're great. I'm running like 10 psi front, 12 rear and the traction is amazing on everything but large stone gravel roads with a hard base.

mtbr member
    Yessir it sure does. I've got a 29+ I9 Dually wheels with Knard 3.0's on my FTW rigid frame. It's set up for bike packing/ touring and is sees a lot of dirt, rock, hard pack, street pretty much everything. I've got the 120 tpi Knard's and they were a PITA to seat and seal tubeless but once I got them sealed they're great. I'm running like 10 psi front, 12 rear and the traction is amazing on everything but large stone gravel roads with a hard base.
    after experiencing it, your setup sounds amazing. I've been reluctant to drop too low with these carbon rims. I'm in the high teens, early 20's, maybe I need to drop lower. These things were real easy to seat surprisingly. I didn't even need soapy water or a compressor, just a floor pump and tire lever. Took me a while before I realized they were filling up though!

btw, how much sealant are you using with the big tires? I have 4oz in each tire, which I'm thinking might be a lot now, lol. The damn bike is so quiet, I can hear the sealant moving around. I snuck up on deer by accident 3 times this weekend. One time I thought I was going to have to slow down to not hit them!

mtbr member
    after experiencing it, your setup sounds amazing. I've been reluctant to drop too low with these carbon rims. I'm in the high teens, early 20's, maybe I need to drop lower. These things were real easy to seat surprisingly. I didn't even need soapy water or a compressor, just a floor pump and tire lever. Took me a while before I realized they were filling up though!

btw, how much sealant are you using with the big tires? I have 4oz in each tire, which I'm thinking might be a lot now, lol. The damn bike is so quiet, I can hear the sealant moving around. I snuck up on deer by accident 3 times this weekend. One time I thought I was going to have to slow down to not hit them!
    I'm not sure that I'll be able to run that low of pressure with the Derby 35's seeing as they're 10mm narrower than the Dually's. I'm 145 lbs. so I'm kinda light but I'm thinking mid teens as a starting point and go from there. I also know that the Following and the future EPO will see a bit rowdier terrain than my FTW bike. So they'll need more pressure. The Chupacabra bead and case look awesome and my buddies that run them rave about them.
    The 3.0's will also fit in my Stage fork. I installed my Dually/ Knard on it and took it for a spin but I think a little less travel with that big of a tire will be better.
    It's been a while but I think I used 3oz. Of sealant because I know I did not doubled the normal 2oz. of a regular 29. I've not added sealant to those Knards since spring so they finally sealed up very well but they weeped for 2 or 3 months.
    That's funny about the deer! Damn I'll bet that bike is quiet 1x DT, no rear suspension and the big meats. Maybe you should mount a compact cross bow on the bike and do some hunting. On second thought the DNR might not dig that technique.

mtbr member
    Ahahaha, the thought actually crossed my mind. I grew up in a big hunting household. My little guys are so coddled though, the smell of venison would have them both wrenching, lol.

mtbr member
    I rode my buddies Airborne Griffin this week with the 650b+ tires on it, I was pretty impressed. So much so that I'm now debating running those tires on my EPO. Only problem is I'm a bit broke so in order to fund a 650b+ wheelset I'd have to sell my recently built Stans Flows on Hopes. So for those of you that have ridden the EPO with both 29 and 650b+, if you could only choose one setup what would it be? For the record I'm 240lbs and 95% of my riding is desert single track here in Arizona

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    EPO ordered!
    Fox F34 fork
    Swapping the 1x10 drivetrain from my Yelli over and putting the old 1x9 back on the yelli.
    Hoping to get the final weight to be around 25lbs or less(Yelli is 26.75 lbs)
    Can't wait to get it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter97 View Post
    I rode my buddies Airborne Griffin this week with the 650b+ tires on it, I was pretty impressed. So much so that I'm now debating running those tires on my EPO. Only problem is I'm a bit broke so in order to fund a 650b+ wheelset I'd have to sell my recently built Stans Flows on Hopes. So for those of you that have ridden the EPO with both 29 and 650b+, if you could only choose one setup what would it be? For the record I'm 240lbs and 95% of my riding is desert single track here in Arizona

I have both wheelsets, and Im really enjoying the plus wheels on this bike. Its such a light frame, the plus tires dont seem to hinder the bike as far as weight IMO. For your weight and terrain, I think they would work great. The large contact patch works really well over sand too IME. Hard to say if I could have onlly one, they both seem to have their strengths, but so far Ive been happy to keep the plus tires on it. if I was doing more jumping, and wanted more mobility in the air, I would probably pick the lighter 29er setup. I have to think more about body position and weight when hitting jumps with the plus tires, where the 29er setup feels easier to control for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    EPO ordered!
    Fox F34 fork
    Swapping the 1x10 drivetrain from my Yelli over and putting the old 1x9 back on the yelli.
    Hoping to get the final weight to be around 25lbs or less(Yelli is 26.75 lbs)
    Can't wait to get it.
    congrats man! I think you should make that pretty easy with those parts, even with decent meats.

btw guys, just an aside, but if you decide to go plus, bring a tire guag when adjusting psi on the trail. they can be very deceiving by the eye or finger test. I was messing with pressure, and had what I thought was a decent pressure. traction was amazing, it felt like it was actually glued to the ground, However, I overshot a jump, and wasnt ablt to get my tire high enough over a log in time, and slammed right into it. while I didnt go OTB, saw my tire kiss the rim hard. limped it back to the trailhead to use my pump. 10lbs, lol, whoops!!!!

mtbr member
    EPO ordered. Blue graphics Rock shox pike 140mm, shimano XT 10 speed drivetrain. Or I might try the singulator. Roval wheels. Still need to order a few pieces. Can't freaking wait! Let me hear your tire opinions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm going with a 2.4 geax goma up front and probably ardent 2.4 in the rear on super wide rims(42ext/36int)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Currently got minions. - DHF and DHR2 on mine - lots of off camber wet roots on the trails I ride - weight a tonne but grip like nothing else! Adds 2lb to to be build over Nobby nic 2.35 front and 2.25 rear!!!
    Still even with these build is under 25 lb :-). Will post some pics soon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Will depend on what ground you're riding on - I have new Nobby Nic 2.35 trailstar compound front and back for riding in wet forest - grippy enough on roots, medium weight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Very much so - and depends on the level of grip your used to too.
    I do like the new NN2.35s - plan to run those next summer again...

mtbr member
    I run a specialized purgatory up front and ground control out back on my Stumpy. So yes medium weight and grippy for roots and rocks is good for me. Thanks
    Next I need some help with stem and bars. I never built a bike with a short stem and wider bars. Any tips?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    i have the Spec Butcher 2.3 up front and the Spec Purgatory in the back. that has worked really well

because the Butcher is hard to get, I have the Minion DHF 2.5 on one of my other bikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand80 View Post
    Next I need some help with stem and bars. I never built a bike with a short stem and wider bars. Any tips?
    My view: try last year's alu bar at 50% off, so you can afford to make a mistake, rather than rush out and buy carbon.
    Personally I'm trying 750mm 20mm rise Easton Havoc - seem good fit for me and this bike. I think longer forks = wider bars, 750-760mm probably a reasonable place to start.
    Stem length must depend on how long the bike is for you - I'm starting with 55mm but might try a 40mm, seeing as my son has deposited one in the spare stems box.

mtbr member
    That was Lance up at Whistler. Lance is a ninja that can ride pretty much any bike, any where. For someone looking for a frame to take the abuse of park riding, I would recommend the N9 out of our line of hardtails. Don't get me wrong, the EPO is a tough bike, but it's pretty tough to beat chromo for a material to just go out and beat on.

In terms of the feel, the EPO offers a more compliant ride when you are really pushing it. The front of the bike is nice and stiff and the rear stays were designed to give the frame the right amount of compliancy to "take the edge off".

Here's a shot of Lance getting his EPO huck on:
    Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-lance-canfield.jpg

mtbr member
    Rock-it-Whip by Kyle, on Flickr

IMGP8816 by Kyle, on Flickr

With some 30mm Nextie rims and 51 offset 120mm Revelation. Feels absurdly light.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand80 View Post
    I run a specialized purgatory up front and ground control out back on my Stumpy. So yes medium weight and grippy for roots and rocks is good for me. Thanks
    780 race face atlas with a 50mm spank spike stem on mine. Absolutely love it and riding narrow bars now feels twitchy and uncomfortable to me. 5'11" on a large frame if that helps

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    800mm Raceface SixC to Turbine 50mm here.
    Best combo I've ever used.

Second best is Renthal Fatbar Carbon 780mm to Thomson 50mm stem.
    Great if you have a lightly cramped cockpit as the sweep is quite conservative...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. How tall are you? I am 6'1" with a 33" inseam. This is my first Canfield frame and am a little concerned about being too cramped an a large frame EPO.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    That was Lance up at Whistler. Lance is a ninja that can ride pretty much any bike, any where. For someone looking for a frame to take the abuse of park riding, I would recommend the N9 out of our line of hardtails. Don't get me wrong, the EPO is a tough bike, but it's pretty tough to beat chromo for a material to just go out and beat on.

In terms of the feel, the EPO offers a more compliant ride when you are really pushing it. The front of the bike is nice and stiff and the rear stays were designed to give the frame the right amount of compliancy to "take the edge off".

Here's a shot of Lance getting his EPO huck on:

Name:	Lance Canfield.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	1025184
    Thanks. Just what I wanted to know, though whether it'll reduce my EPO lust is another question entirely

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    any one that ordered their EPO's this week got their shipping notice? I placed my order late tuesday night and its still showing as processing.
    In the past when I've ordered pedals they always shipped same day or day after so I guess I'm just overly anxious and can't wait for the frame to show up, haha
    Anyway, just wondering if the website is just slow to update the status or if the bro's are just overwhelmed by orders.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Finally got my EPO built. 25.5 pounds as pictured. I got a large and am 6'2", 34 inseam. Running Renthal 780 bars with 50mm stem. Steer tube is a little long until I get cockpit height sorted. Pike is currently at 130 with 67.5 head angle. I have a 140 air spring on the way.

Pike fork
    charger pro sl wheels
    2.25 exo ardent rear tubless
    2.35 highroller 2 exo front tubeless
    xo cranks
    xx1 rear cassette
    gx rear d and shifter
    renthal carbon dh bars
    Kore stem
    trail xo brakes
    ks lev seatpost
    wtb silverado saddle

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-20151029_213856.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema View Post
    Finally got my EPO built. 25.5 pounds as pictured. I got a large and am 6'2", 34 inseam. Running Renthal 780 bars with 50mm stem. Steer tube is a little long until I get cockpit height sorted. Pike is currently at 130 with 67.5 head angle. I have a 140 air spring on the way.

Pike fork
    charger pro sl wheels
    2.25 exo ardent rear tubless
    2.35 highroller 2 exo front tubeless
    xo cranks
    xx1 rear cassette
    gx rear d and shifter
    renthal carbon dh bars
    Kore stem
    trail xo brakes
    ks lev seatpost
    wtb silverado saddle

Name:	20151029_213856.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	1025394
    looking good!
    what size dropper is that? 100 or 125?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    125, but will have the 150 on it soon as that is on order. 125 I had laying around as a backup.

mtbr member
    I ordered my EPO frame on Wednesday and still have not received a shipping notification yet!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    just call Sean. i had the same issue and he was all over it

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    EPO delivered today. Woot!
    Still waiting on some misc parts though. Hopefully fully built by end of weekend

mtbr member
    Well I can now say this frame is pretty damn durable (my leg not so much). Took a pretty nasty spill at one of my local rides. Tumbled down a hill a bit with my feet still attached to the pedals (no idea why the stayed clipped in) and bounced my top tube off a couple rocks. Went over everything very carefully and she's good to go. I don't plan on crashing like that again but it's good to see the EPO can survive a beating like it did.
    P.S. Cactus is now me least favorite thing about the desert

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast