Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    I'm excited for you guys, this bike is an absolute blast. Good to hear you will get it with some of the season left too, you're in for a real treat! It's been a real eye opener for me personally.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arclarke View Post
    Now 51mm, on Revelation at 120mm - was 46mm but I needed to replace the stantions and could only get a 51mmOS CSU. I preferred it with 46mm - the 5mm more trail makes it a bit less quick-steering.
    Art, you've got it backwards. 51mm offset will yield less trail not more trail. If you extend a line through the center of the stanchions to where is meets the ground and the plumb a line down through the fork drop outs/ axle center to where it meets the ground. The delta of the two points is the trail measurement. The longer offset moves the axle farther forward and closer to the imaginary line of the stanchions point of intersect with the ground.
    The steering will be slightly quicker with the 51mm OS but the wheelbase will be longer as compared to a 46mm OS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    Art, you've got it backwards. 51mm offset will yield less trail not more trail. If you extend a line through the center of the stanchions to where is meets the ground and the plumb a line down through the fork drop outs/ axle center to where it meets the ground. The delta of the two points is the trail measurement. The longer offset moves the axle farther forward and closer to the imaginary line of the stanchions point of intersect with the ground.
    The steering will be slightly quicker with the 51mm OS but the wheelbase will be longer as compared to a 46mm OS.
    I believe you guys are saying the same thing.

mtbr member
    You know you're probably right. It's the way Art worded it that made me think otherwise. Thanks for pointing that out!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by carabao View Post
    I believe you guys are saying the same thing.
    yep, trying to!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post
    EPO's will be arriving at our warehouse in just a few weeks.
    If you guys somehow managed to put some XL's together, Christmas is coming early for me this year.

I'm still dying to grab one of these when it becomes available.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock503 View Post
    I'm excited for you guys, this bike is an absolute blast. Good to hear you will get it with some of the season left too, you're in for a real treat! It's been a real eye opener for me personally.
    Have you spent any time on a yelli? Would love to get some comparison if possible

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    Have you spent any time on a yelli? Would love to get some comparison if possible
    Sorry man, only a brief spin on the yelli. I will say though, it handled nothing like my school bus 29er, and it was enough to make me want one. I was deciding between the Nimble and Yelli when the EPO came out. I'll be honest, I really knew nothing of Canfield before riding the Yelli, and I may end up with a stable of their bikes by next year, lol.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I'm not that skilled and wonder if it's a kind of bike for me ?

Does the epo still funny if not ride aggressively ?

Is that a good bike to learn to ride aggressively ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomati View Post
    I'm not that skilled and wonder if it's a kind of bike for me ?

Does the epo still funny if not ride aggressively ?

Is that a good bike to learn to ride aggressively ?
    I'm kind of in a similar decision making boat here. I'm not an aggressive rider, and my 150mm travel dual squishy has made me a lot faster but mostly because it feels so much more safer at speed.

Now I'm looking for a hard tail for occasional xc racing and the 70+ degree head angles don't feel safe to me any more. The short chain stays really help me corner so much better.

So the EPO sounds like it will make hardtail which would ride much like my trail bike but if built with a 120/130mm fork and lighter parts, make a good xc bike (with the extra confidence I need). I think that's the concept I'm looking for.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by llbr22 View Post
    Now I'm looking for a hard tail for occasional xc racing and the 70+ degree head angles don't feel safe to me any more. The short chain stays really help me corner so much better.

So the EPO sounds like it will make hardtail which would ride much like my trail bike but if built with a 120/130mm fork and lighter parts, make a good xc bike (with the extra confidence I need). I think that's the concept I'm looking for.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I think you pretty much NAILED why we built this bike!

mtbr member
    Personally, I think that's the best thing about this bike. You don't have to have any particular style or skill set to enjoy it. You don't have to work to have fun on this bike, there is no struggle to adapt, it's fun right out of the gate!

mtbr member
    Personally, I think that's the best thing about this bike. You don't have to have any particular style or skill set to enjoy it. You don't have to work to have fun on this bike, there is no struggle to adapt, it's fun right out of the gate!

Excellent.. good to hear!

mtbr member
    Just so you guys know I'm a man of my word. Trailblazer 2.8 mounted on Spec fattie 650b.

It looks ridiculous BTW, lol

mtbr member
    Just so you guys know I'm a man of my word. Trailblazer 2.8 mounted on Spec fattie 650b.

It looks ridiculous BTW, lol

Really curious to hear how it rides set up like this!! I'm not opposed to getting a second wheel set to run something similar

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Have just ordered my EPO frame. Could anyone share what cane creek headset part numbers the frame uses? Fork is a Pike.

mtbr member
    Just get the headset thru the Bros. ... they do a package deal with them....

Unit 91
    Quote Originally Posted by apostolos View Post
    Have just ordered my EPO frame. Could anyone share what cane creek headset part numbers the frame uses? Fork is a Pike.
    I would recommend what rsullivan said, but if that's not an options, then CC Part # BAA0783K is what your after. That includes a short top cap, but they also offer a tall top cap version.
    Bikes

mtbr member
    Yep, agree with these guys, the package deal will give you the best price on the CC.

@skeeter: I wasn't going to bother setting it up, but after looking at it, I'm going to need to satisfy my curiousity too. It looks pretty badass, and seems like they definitely had the wide tire/rim combo in mind when they made this frame. The wheels/tires don't actually feel that heavy either surprisingly, even with these Al rims. I'm sure it will be a different story when they are rolling though.

mtbr member
    OK, looking for an opinion on sizing. In most brands, I ride a medium. But I'm hearing Canfields run small (?). I'm going to try a friends Large Yelli this week to get a feel.

I'm 5'9", short torso, long legs (34" inseam)

My current ride, which fits me great is a Stumpjumper FSR 650B with 60mm stem, and my post is a 125mm dropper that in XC position is only a centimeter or two from minimum insertion (so I'm jacket up pretty high).

I'm concerned that the low seat tube length of the EPO will require a long dropper (I'm set on using a dropper post) that may not exist. Plus the reach on this bike is already longer than FSR at a medium, and if I go large, it may be too long.. but don't know for sure (I'll know more once I try that Yelli I think).

Anyway, here's the comparison in geometry on paper:
    Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-screen-shot-2015-09-10-10.32.01-am.png

thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    OK, looking for an opinion on sizing. In most brands, I ride a medium. But I'm hearing Canfields run small (?). I'm going to try a friends Large Yelli this week to get a feel.

I'm 5'9", short torso, long legs (34" inseam)

My current ride, which fits me great is a Stumpjumper FSR 650B with 60mm stem, and my post is a 125mm dropper that in XC position is only a centimeter or two from minimum insertion (so I'm jacket up pretty high).

I'm concerned that the low seat tube length of the EPO will require a long dropper (I'm set on using a dropper post) that may not exist. Plus the reach on this bike is already longer than FSR at a medium, and if I go large, it may be too long.. but don't know for sure (I'll know more once I try that Yelli I think).

Anyway, here's the comparison in geometry on paper:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 10.32.01 AM.png 
Views:	244 
Size:	164.2 KB 
ID:	1014529

thanks!
    I'm no expert on bike fitting but looking at the numbers you posted, wouldn't you go with a medium?
    The reach on your specialized is 414. the medium EPO is 423 so that is almost 10mm longer than what you have now(so you'd run a 10mm shorter stem on the EPO to get the same measurement).
    The seat tube on your specialized is 430, medium EPO is 414 so 16mm shorter which means you would need a 16mm longer seatpost. You can probably go to a 150mm dropper to get the seat height you need.

If this was me, I'd get the medium and run a 50mm stem and get a 150mm dropper post. That should get the fit pretty close to what you have on your stumpy now

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yep, agree with these guys, the package deal will give you the best price on the CC.

@skeeter: I wasn't going to bother setting it up, but after looking at it, I'm going to need to satisfy my curiousity too. It looks pretty badass, and seems like they definitely had the wide tire/rim combo in mind when they made this frame. The wheels/tires don't actually feel that heavy either surprisingly, even with these Al rims. I'm sure it will be a different story when they are rolling though.
    Report back on how it rides with the B+ wheel/tire combo please!

mtbr member
    I'm no expert on bike fitting but looking at the numbers you posted, wouldn't you go with a medium?
    The reach on your specialized is 414. the medium EPO is 423 so that is almost 10mm longer than what you have now(so you'd run a 10mm shorter stem on the EPO to get the same measurement).
    The seat tube on your specialized is 430, medium EPO is 414 so 16mm shorter which means you would need a 16mm longer seatpost. You can probably go to a 150mm dropper to get the seat height you need.

If this was me, I'd get the medium and run a 50mm stem and get a 150mm dropper post. That should get the fit pretty close to what you have on your stumpy now

Thanks.. I was thinking the same. Reach I think I'm good with. It's the seat post I'm still bit worried about.

The 150mm droppers seem to max out at 435mm length. And the Spec's dropper is 430mm. So, with a difference in seat-tube length of 16mm, and my current post at 10mm till min insertion, I may be just making it. (I can live w/ losing a 1/2cm or so)

Anyone know of another dropper longer than 435mm?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    9point8 440x150
    Fall Line Dropper Post

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadim0791 View Post
    9point8 440x150
    Fall Line Dropper Post
    Fall line won't work since its internally routed. Unless the next batch of EPOs have internal routing capability(doubtful)

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks.. I was thinking the same. Reach I think I'm good with. It's the seat post I'm still bit worried about.

The 150mm droppers seem to max out at 435mm length. And the Spec's dropper is 430mm. So, with a difference in seat-tube length of 16mm, and my current post at 10mm till min insertion, I may be just making it. (I can live w/ losing a 1/2cm or so)

Might want to check with the bros on the min insertion for the EPO.
    The minimum insertion marked on the seat post is to protect the seat post. Frames might have different min insertion requirements

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rsullivan View Post
    Just get the headset thru the Bros. ... they do a package deal with them....
    Not so easy, I am in Australia so going through the local distributor.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet View Post
    I would recommend what rsullivan said, but if that's not an options, then CC Part # BAA0783K is what your after. That includes a short top cap, but they also offer a tall top cap version.
    Thank you !!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Giant makes a 150mm drop seatpost that is 440mm in length. Have one, works awesome. Internal or external routing.
    Contact SL Switch Seatpost (Seatposts) - Bike Gear | Giant Bicycles | United States

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by apostolos View Post
    Not so easy, I am in Australia so going through the local distributor.
    Pretty easy... Just ask Rod about the headset and we can ship one with your frame.

As far as specs, check the "build specs" tab on our EPO page. This will have all the info you'll need to know for your build.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fastezzie View Post
    Giant makes a 150mm drop seatpost that is 440mm in length. Have one, works awesome. Internal or external routing.
    Contact SL Switch Seatpost (Seatposts) - Bike Gear | Giant Bicycles | United States
    nice product and reasonably priced... did you happen to put it on a scale? (i mean: do you know its weight?)

mtbr member
    thanks for the post suggestions all! sounds like I can make the Giant post work.

So it looks like the Yelli is slightly different geometry than the EPO. Looks like the med. EPO is closer to a large Yelli (or just slightly smaller than the L Yelli)

mtbr member
    First ride will be Monday if everything goes as planned. Weighed in at 25.1 lbs.

Pretty good clearance in the pie plate.

Reba is close near the sidewalls, but looks ok.
    Last edited by Erock503; 09-12-2015 at 11:49 PM.

mtbr member
    I've got the itch to try the Riot, so my Large EPO has got to go. Email me at rayhoward619@gmail.com if you're interested. I believe the bros are sold out until October except for maybe one frame.

Thanks
    Last edited by carabao; 09-13-2015 at 07:57 AM. Reason: size

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    What soze

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MostChillin View Post
    I haven't taken the time to go back and review all of your previous posts so apologies if you already answered this but what kind of terrain do you normally ride? I ask because I'm trying to (sincerely) understand the transition from an EPO to the Riot.

I have a N9 and Yelli and while I have enjoyed both, I'm likely switching back to full squish but the Riot is serious overkill for where and how I ride. I'm currently leaning toward a Phantom but going to wait to see what drops at Interbike (if anything) this week.

All of that being said, the Riot is sick. Enjoy!
    I live in San Diego and we have a lot of terrain to choose from. I have another hardtail, so the Riot would be for the rougher stuff. For me, the Riot would be overkill for my local stuff, but lots of guys are on Nomads and HD3's, so it boils down to the experience you're after. I've owned a Process 153 and 134 and have suprisingly matched or beaten my times on the downhills on my EPO. What I've realized is I prefer the 29" wheel over the 27.5. And I love short chainstays. The Riot has the same chainstays as the EPO but adds in suspension. It could be the ONE bike for me. We'll see.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Just something to think about, don't remember which thread, but the Canfield Bros say that there bikes ride and feel like 20mm less then it is and still getting the benefits of the full suspension. So in theory the Riot would feel like a 120mm. Which is in the ballpark of what your want.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Overbiking is fun man

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    He needs to be doing calculus homework. Instead of posting his fourth post.

mtbr member
    Hey Erock503, I like the 27.5+ wheels and tires on your bike. That's a good build. I am thinking of going this route on a build but with a 120mm RS-1 that I recently purchased. I just wish this bike had sliders, then it would be perfect!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I already did it

mtbr member
    Hey Erock503, I like the 27.5+ wheels and tires on your bike. That's a good build. I am thinking of going this route on a build but with a 120mm RS-1 that I recently purchased. I just wish this bike had sliders, then it would be perfect!
    Thanks man. Got my first ride on the big wheels tonight. I need a few more rides for a thorough review, but damn, it's wicked fun. I didn't really want to like this setup, as my 29er rims are carbon and over 3lbs lighter. These rims are specs own lowend offering, but the bike didn't care. Holy smokes fun and stable feeling. About what you would imagine, bit muted and slow feeling on gradual fire roads, but pretty amazing feeling pointed downhill. Takes a bit more steering input, but just refuses to break traction and plows over everything. It's seriously almost comical, I literally had to laugh a few times how it just shrugs off bigger hits. The one surprise for me was climbing. It just grinds easily up aggressive terrain, somehow it didn't feel like it lost much at all compared to my 29 wheels. I think I'm ordering some carbon 27.5 hoops.
    Someone PM'd with the same info/comment - thank you for sharing as well.

I'm in no rush so I will see what the initial reviews are. That being said, I had a Camber Evo custom (don't hate) before and with 120 front and rear, it was more than enough even if I didn't like the bike. I'm really hesitant about having too much bike if you can't tell!
    I had a camber that I evo'd out, and I know what you mean. If you want something that feels even more capable going down, and snaps thru corners that made the camber feel like a bus, the EPO is the ticket.

mtbr member

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er

Thanks man. Got my first ride on the big wheels tonight. I need a few more rides for a thorough review, but damn, it's wicked fun. I didn't really want to like this setup, as my 29er rims are carbon and over 3lbs lighter. These rims are specs own lowend offering, but the bike didn't care. Holy smokes fun and stable feeling. About what you would imagine, bit muted and slow feeling on gradual fire roads, but pretty amazing feeling pointed downhill. Takes a bit more steering input, but just refuses to break traction and plows over everything. It's seriously almost comical, I literally had to laugh a few times how it just shrugs off bigger hits. The one surprise for me was climbing. It just grinds easily up aggressive terrain, somehow it didn't feel like it lost much at all compared to my 29 wheels. I think I'm ordering some carbon 27.5 hoops.
    I'm on a Following with a 140 Stage up front and 2 sets of carbon wheels! I also have an AL Spider 29 but would like to fit some 275+ wheels on the Following, back will be a bit tight. The fork has great tire clearance and I also have the RS-1 which has huge clearance!
    Get some big 40-50mm carbon hoops for that bike.
    I just would love yonder them as sliders to the EPO!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    What are sliders

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek200 View Post
    What are sliders
    Drop outs that can lengthen/shorten to tension a chain for SS (or change in geometry)

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-canfieldbrothersnimble9dropout.jpg

mtbr member

I had a camber that I evo'd out, and I know what you mean. If you want something that feels even more capable going down, and snaps thru corners that made the camber feel like a bus, the EPO is the ticket.
    Just when I thought I was really happy with my new wheel build I go and read something like this . Now I'm even more tempted to add a second wheel set with some fat 650's. Definitely tempting that's for sure. Do I "need" a second set? Nope. Do I "want" one????? Yup

mtbr member
    I'm on a Following with a 140 Stage up front and 2 sets of carbon wheels! I also have an AL Spider 29 but would like to fit some 275+ wheels on the Following, back will be a bit tight. The fork has great tire clearance and I also have the RS-1 which has huge clearance!
    Get some big 40-50mm carbon hoops for that bike.
    I just would love yonder them as sliders to the EPO!!
    Nice! that is going to be a sick build. I get it now with the attraction to 27.5+/29+ setups. Would love to see pics of the following with that setup when you are done. That was another bike on my radar too, as I was also planning a full sus build. After riding the EPO however, all I've had since, is Riot on the brain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter97 View Post
    Just when I thought I was really happy with my new wheel build I go and read something like this . Now I'm even more tempted to add a second wheel set with some fat 650's. Definitely tempting that's for sure. Do I "need" a second set? Nope. Do I "want" one????? Yup

You're not kidding. This was an expensive experiment for me. I have a Nox 29/i9 wheelset on order right now, and I immediately thought of changing my order. They were supposed to be for my full sus build, but I'm torn on what to do now. I don't think I can go back unless I find some serious detriment.

mtbr member
    Me and the Camber never got along - spent a lot of money trying to get it right. I knew better than to get a Specialized (never been a fan so I was prejudiced going into the relationship) but the silly price sucked me in. Learned my lesson.

Huge fan of the EPO but I want to go back to a FS - I have new N9 and Yelli currently. Love HTs but I'm looking for both the comfort and speed of a FS. And I want a short travel bike since where I ride 80% of the time is fast, flowy XC trails with punchy climbs and downs.

I had an opportunity to ride a buddies RIP RDO for a couple of weeks on my local trails and it was way more travel than is needed. Kind of muted things for me. And then I had a chance to ride two days on a SC TBLT and again, it was more than was needed. It was these experiences that led me to the Camber - right travel; wrong bike. Thus my steering away from the Riot - thus far...
    actually now that you mention it, I remember seeing your blue yelli. sick sick ride btw.

Personally, the Riot is the most interesting of the new bikes to me after owning the EPO. On paper, it would be more bike than I need for 80% of the trails near me, but thats why I have the EPO. on the other hand, if it pedals like people are suggesting, its going to be a lot more versatile than I imagined.

I was also considering some of the other new 29er trail offerrings too. The Following, SB4.5C, and ripley LS were all on my radar. None ended up being as interesting to me as the riot geo though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    What about the new Stumpy?

mtbr member
    Thank you for the kind words.

I had the same bikes on my radar but ruled out the Yeti (not sold on SI or their pricing strategy) and the Following (not a fan of PF or the slack seat tube - I've concluded I'm not a huge fan of it on the Yelli) after riding another one recently. Phantom checks a lot of boxes currently.

I'm going to sit tight and wait for some initial feedback on the Riot and see if anything interesting comes out of Interbike this week.
    Those were all downsides for me too. Seems a lot of people are looking for the same things these days. Forgot about the Banshee, that's definitely another interesting one. You're right though, the smart money is to wait until interbike. Haven't heard much from the rumor mill, anything in particular you are waiting for?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Canfield EPO Race Bike

Why not! Built this rig to slay XC courses with technical features.
    21.8 pounds as pictured. Almost a pound less when wearing race tires and no dropper. 100mm RS SID Brain fork, Roval SL carbon hoops. XXO/XX1.

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-img_2740.jpg

mtbr member
    Sweet, that's what I'm looking to setup, except with a 120

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Oh man, that thing is sick. How does it handle with the 100mm fork? I was a bit worried that the bottom bracket would be a bit too low with that fork, but right now I'm in the market for a frame and not all the other bike parts

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Havign seen that EPO built up a in a bit more XC guise, can someone persuade me _not_ to sell my Kona Big Kahuna and buy an EPO? Ive always been a bit anti plastic MTBs but the EPO is very tempting. Already have an old Yelli which I love and a Riot on order -- EPO would complete the collection more or less! Id be interested to hear how it rides with 120mm or even 100mm forks -- not too many pedal strikes with 175mm cranks?

mtbr member
    Sick build ducrider!

@fastfish666: It handles great at 120 IMO, no issues with pedal strikes so far on east coast rocky rooty trails. Also using 175 crank arms. Recently lowered it slightly more with some b+ tires , and although lower, still haven't had issues. I'm used to navigating the rocks here, but have run into issues with other bikes before. I was going to get a 140mm if I ran into clearance issues, but so far so good.
    Last edited by Erock503; 09-16-2015 at 06:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    While it certainly steers much quicker at 100mm than when on longer forks, the bike still feels more stable and and rides more aggressively than my 'normal' XC frames, which was the point of the build. I was surprised to find no BB height issues and I don't sense any more pedal strikes through rocky terrain than normal.

Quote Originally Posted by biggrumble View Post
    Oh man, that thing is sick. How does it handle with the 100mm fork? I was a bit worried that the bottom bracket would be a bit too low with that fork, but right now I'm in the market for a frame and not all the other bike parts

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    thanks Erock503 and ducrider -- Ill have to start saving then!
    What headsets are you using, I have no real experience of integrated ones and generally use CK ones on all the other bikes. Finally, any issues with frame clearance for multiple chainrings? I run a XTR-M970 crankset with inner(24t) and middle(38t) and Id want similar (what width tyres can you fit if you have a front mech?) From my experience with a yelli with the same cranks a 32t is the max you can fit in the middle and I think even a 22t inner would be a squeeze. Thanks for all the info. Cheers, Pat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfish666 View Post
    thanks Erock503 and ducrider -- Ill have to start saving then!
    What headsets are you using, I have no real experience of integrated ones and generally use CK ones on all the other bikes. Finally, any issues with frame clearance for multiple chainrings? I run a XTR-M970 crankset with inner(24t) and middle(38t) and Id want similar (what width tyres can you fit if you have a front mech?) From my experience with a yelli with the same cranks a 32t is the max you can fit in the middle and I think even a 22t inner would be a squeeze. Thanks for all the info. Cheers, Pat
    I'm using the CC headset they offer with the frame at a discount. About the easiest headset I've ever installed. No chase, no press, just place it in and go. No idea about a front mech. I do have a couple pics of clearance if it helps. I'm using a 32t X01, so I think you should have some options.

Btw, got some good time with be 27.5+ setup this week. What an absolute blast! It just makes an already super capable bike more impressive. No problems with rock strikes with 175s. I think it might actually climb even easier even with the heavier wheels, kind of a trip. The only time I missed my 29 wheels was a section of jumps. I'm finding I have to be more precise in the air and landing, or it gets a little squirrelly feeling. The 29 wheels feel almost effortless to land in comparison. Other than that, I can't believe how fun this setup is!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm using the CC headset they offer with the frame at a discount. About the easiest headset I've ever installed. No chase, no press, just place it in and go. No idea about a front mech. I do have a couple pics of clearance if it helps. I'm using a 32t X01, so I think you should have some options.

Btw, got some good time with be 27.5+ setup this week. What an absolute blast! It just makes an already super capable bike more impressive. No problems with rock strikes with 175s. I think it might actually climb even easier even with the heavier wheels, kind of a trip. The only time I missed my 29 wheels was a section of jumps. I'm finding I have to be more precise in the air and landing, or it gets a little squirrelly feeling. The 29 wheels feel almost effortless to land in comparison. Other than that, I can't believe how fun this setup is!

Hi, I'm also in the riot forum and would like like to know what Wheelset your using for the 27+ . Still debating on which to get. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsalas2 View Post
    Hi, I'm also in the riot forum and would like like to know what Wheelset your using for the 27+ . Still debating on which to get. Thanks.
    These are just lowend Specialized alloy 650b "fatties", 29mm I.D. I want to try some Ibis 741 or possibly some roval traverse SL 650b. If I had the cash, I'd probably grab a set of Nox Farlow. I'm really liking this setup as it is, but it's definitely my next upgrade.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks

mtbr member
    SS set up
    Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tmc1171 View Post
    SS set up

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	544 
Size:	215.0 KB 
ID:	1016184
    Looks good. No issues with skipping?

mtbr member

The bike looks badazz with those wheels and tires! If I spring for one of these EPO's I'm going to build a set of 27.5+ wheels with the SRAM predictive steering hub, I9 rear hub, derby rims and run a 3" up front and a 2.75" rear tire.

mtbr member
    The bike looks badazz with those wheels and tires! If I spring for one of these EPO's I'm going to build a set of 27.5+ wheels with the SRAM predictive steering hub, I9 rear hub, derby rims and run a 3" up front and a 2.75" rear tire.
    Thanks man. I was skeptical, but I'm a convert after this experience. I can only imagine how killer some wide carbon hoops would be. I'm already shocked at how well it climbs with these alloy wheels and 2.8 tires. Either my stamina and strength have improved a lot, or this is as easy, or even easier to climb with than my carbon 29 hoops. I was considering dropping to a 30t with my 11-40 cassette using the 29 wheels. However, I cleared a steep loose rocky section today easily that I usually struggle with. It doesn't make much sense to me since I drop almost 3 pounds with my 29er wheels. I'm thinking it must be the traction, combined with a slightly smaller diameter overall wheel/tire, that works like a Sherman tank with these gears.

I gotta say, Im worried about losing sight of the prize in a way though. I built this out to be my xc slasher. It feels so capable however, you end up wanting to beef it up. I've been on the Riot pre-order lost for a while, so it makes no sense to have these bikes overlap at all.

mtbr member
    Looks good. No issues with skipping?
    So far, so good. No chain slip/ skip

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I was narrowing down my shortlist for a f/s, but the 27.5+ epo set-up is throwing a wrench in everything.

The potential traction on hand and simplicity is very tempting.

Different bike, but flow were quite effusive about the Spesh 27.5+ (hate the '6fattie' naming).

Assume there is no difference between the Pike vs Fox34 and 27.5+ compatibility?

mtbr member
    My EPO is listed, so I'm that much closer to funding my Riot build.

Canfield EPO, Surly Instigator, KS Lev Ti - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

Canfield Brothers is sold out until at least the end of the month. If you're interested in a gently used EPO, check out this link for detailed pics:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/caraba...57658479529298

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    SS set up
    hi tmc1171 -- what gearing are you running? I tend to have 32x18 on my SS 29er setup. thanks, Pat

mtbr member
    SS set up

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	544 
Size:	215.0 KB 
ID:	1016184
    Hey missed that, congrats on getting it working man. Is that the Rennen you were going to try?

Picked up an MRP AMg V2 guide. Very nice little guard, very good craftsmanship. Hopefully I won't need it, but I figured it was worth the chain suck insurance. Looking at this however, I think they sent me the wrong part. I ordered the 26-32 guard, and this looks like a 32-38t I think?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Looks like Medium and Large EPOs have arrived Available for purchase on CB's website now

mtbr member
    hi tmc1171 -- what gearing are you running? I tend to have 32x18 on my SS 29er setup. thanks, Pat
    I'm running 32x18. I'll put a 20 or 21 on when I go to the mountains.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Erock503;12210346]Hey missed that, congrats on getting it working man. Is that the Rennen you were going to try?

It's a Gusset tensioner. It was $20. The Rennen are nice but double the cost. This one seems to be working well

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Ha Ha, Had a Scott Scale 920 with a -1 angleset and 120 forks resulting in a 67.5 Head angle to try to make a confident down / rocket up hardtail. Trouble is, it was impossible to keep the front wheel on the ground...

Looks like I need an EPO....

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by richt2000 View Post

Looks like I need an EPO....
    That's pretty much my thoughts as well!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rsullivan View Post
    Just got back from riding with the Canfield boys.....rode the EPO on the long climbs of Mt Galbraith. ... this thing climbs super comfy but very responsive on the ups. Being 6ft 1in rode the large with 50mm stem, felt very comfortable in and out of the saddle... more impressive was the fact this is really a versitle bike. Watched the boys huck this thing like it was a long travel sled... then when the jump lines came in to play...... it just flowed so smooth thru everything. . Definitely a unique but perfect for XC down just getting rowdy....thanks guys for having me up here.
    hi Ryan -- Im 2 inches shorter than you 5'11" with 33" inseam, would you recommend Large or Med? I currently have a gen1 Yelli in M which is a tad on the small side. Ive got it setup with a 80mm stem, anything shorter feels too cramped. The reach for the L EPO is listed as 450mm which seem huge?
    thanks for any thoughts, Pat

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Hi......wich stem are you using??

mtbr member
    I caught the EPO bug over the past few weeks, so decided I needed to build one up for myself:

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-canfield-brothers-epo.jpg

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-canfield-brothers-epo-2.jpg

EPO Medium
    MRP Stage
    Race Face 35mm Next bars
    Race Face 35mm Atlas 35mm length stem, this short stem essentially makes my Medium EPO a Small
    Race Face Next cranks
    XT 11 speed drivetrain with 11/40 cassette
    Canfield Wheels
    Time Carbon pedals
    Maxxis Minion DHF 2.3
    Maxxis Icon, both tires set up "ghetto" tubeless
    Just waiting on my dropper to come in

I have spent a fair amount of time on our demos over the past year, but having the 35mm stem, totally changed the fit of the bike for me. As I'm 5'6", the Medium is a bit big for me, but the difference in running a 50mm and 35mm stem is quite substantial in bringing the cockpit size very close to my ideal length.

Took her out on her maiden voyage over the weekend. One of my favorite rides that is a grueling hour and half climb, straight up. I've always struggled on the ride up as I'm not quite the XC junkie that I was in my twenties, but man, this build made me feel like I was! I've ridden our demos up there a few times, but the 11/40 cassette made a HUGE difference. The ride down is a 20 minute descent with tons of tight loam chute lines to catcher berms and a few fun jumps. Yeah, pretty much stuff bike dreams are made of!

STOKED!
    Last edited by KillingtonVT; 09-28-2015 at 11:58 AM.

n00b
    Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-thatsawesome1.jpg
    instagram@krigloch

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have spent a fair amount of time on our demos over the past year, but having the 35mm stem, totally changed the fit of the bike for me. As I'm 5'6", the Medium is a bit big for me, but the difference in running a 50mm and 35mm stem is quite substantial in bringing the cockpit size very close to my ideal length.
    I must admit that I think the EPO+Riot combo (would cover most bases -- I love the shorter CS on the riot compared to the yelli and am getting really close to getting a plastic bike! :-) Re sizing, Im leaning towards L with a short stem -- The Riot L with 50mm stem feels good to me -- would a EPO L come up similar to the Riot L? Many thanks, Pat

Norđwegr
    Anyone ridden a steel Honzo and an EPO? Wondering how they compare apart from the obvious weight difference.

mtbr member
    awesome build Vin, looks killer!

you must have been frothing at the mouth packing and shipping these frames.

got the right MRP guide. the original was listed on the factory MRP box as a 26-32t guide, but was actually a 32-38 guide. This is the correct 26-32t guide.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    hi Ryan -- Im 2 inches shorter than you 5'11" with 33" inseam, would you recommend Large or Med? I currently have a gen1 Yelli in M which is a tad on the small side. Ive got it setup with a 80mm stem, anything shorter feels too cramped. The reach for the L EPO is listed as 450mm which seem huge?
    thanks for any thoughts, Pat
    I'm same height as you, 32" leg, and thinking same about my large Yelli. I have 55mm stem and wondered about trying a longer one. The M EPO is shorter than L Yelli so I was thinking L EPO and shorter stem, myself.
    Also top tube isn't so different between Yelli and EPO - but the EPO has a steeper seat tube, so the pedals are further back relatively.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by arclarke View Post
    I'm same height as you, 32" leg, and thinking same about my large Yelli. I have 55mm stem and wondered about trying a longer one. The M EPO is shorter than L Yelli so I was thinking L EPO and shorter stem, myself.
    Also top tube isn't so different between Yelli and EPO - but the EPO has a steeper seat tube, so the pedals are further back relatively.
    I suppose the pedals further back due to steeper seat angle is why the reach is longer. The L Riot fits me well I feel -- with 50mm stem. Might try to get a test ride if I can

mtbr member
    awesome build Vin, looks killer!

you must have been frothing at the mouth packing and shipping these frames.

got the right MRP guide. the original was listed on the factory MRP box as a 26-32t guide, but was actually a 32-38 guide. This is the correct 26-32t guide.

NICE! The AMg V2 is awesome!

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Sorry about the mix up!
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - Brand Manager
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    Sorry about the mix up!
    no problem, was a simple mistake that was handled very quickly. Love the quality of your guide! The little cloth satchel made it feel like handling jewelry too, lol.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Hi everyone......
    On the Medeium EPO....how long should be the seatpost?(not dropper)

mtbr member
    Just thought I'd post a review after I've had some proper rides on the EPO.
    My impressions mirror that of several others here. Bike is VERY capable on descents. Both high speed buff stuff, and slower technical chunk.

I put it thru the paces riding in Pisgah ( western North Carolina mountains) . Rode it 4 days straight and never felt the need or desire to switch to my full squish Norco Sight which spent the entire trip in the car. The EPO is a blast. Front end feels very lofty and playful, yet never got away from me on any techy/ steep climbs. Rear end never felt twitchy or had me wishing I was on a full squish. Did a 35 mile, 6, 000 ft elev. gain slog fest in the rain ride and I was very comfortable ( other than being cold, wet, and leg cramps). All day ride comfort was a surprise. Bike Climbs great.
    EPO allowed me to push it much harder than my Ibis Tranny for sure.
    I didn't think a hardtail could ride this good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Demoed an EPO yesterday at the Canfield Brothers UK Demo day at Forest of Dean. Very impressed with the bike, so much so that I'm ordering one today to replace my Titus Fireline Evo TI. Other 29er Hardtails I've owned are the Stanton Sherpa, Yelli Screamy and a Scott Scale 920.

with a 36" inseam I was a little worried about the seat tube, but its steep enough for me to have 5" of reverb exposed.

The EPO was easily the best hardtail I've ridden. Its 95% as quick up the hill as the XC targetted Scale 920 from an effiency point of view, and that 5% may have just been down to chunkier tires on the EPO. Technical climbing it is far better though.

On the downs, well, it blows all the other hardtails out of the water, and a lot of full susses too! Quite a few of you in this thread say it is as quick as full sus, and after riding this thing I am inclined to agree. Ok its a blue run and fairly smooth, but I picked up a few Personal bests on strava yesterday, and I've ridden that trail on some capable full sus bikes ranging from 120mm 29ers to 165 650bs. Jumps very well too...

So building one up and the biggest question is wheels. I already have Light Bicycle wheels and some alloy wheels, but not XD drivers so before I go and spend money on converting a wheelset for this bike I had a question around rims - Plenty of people seem to be putting carbon hoops on this bike - does this not make the rear end ultra stiff and harsh? would some more compliant alloy rims not make more sense on this bike? Anyone ridden it with both?

mtbr member
    Lance Canfield is running carbons on his..... seems to handle most anything. The rear end oh the EPO is very active in a manner of speaking. ... so either way will work awesome. ..

mtbr member
    I've got three rides on my EPO mounted with Derby 35's.
    I too was worried about it being "overstiff." The first ride alleviated that fear. The carbon hoops bring it to the next level. The bike feels more comfortable than my former ride, a Stache 8 running Stan's Flows. The frame and wheels are surgically precise in terms of sticking to a line, but the rims (and frame, I'd imagine) seem to deaden, absorb or redirect the trail chunk much more than aluminum.
    When I was pondering the same question as you, someone here on mtbr commented, "don't look to your wheels as a place to gain compliance."
    I'm glad I listened.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    -Chris

mtbr member
    I want! It would make a great compliment to my Following.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by richt2000 View Post
    with a 36" inseam
    I are you going for an XL? do they have an XL? Im 33" inseam and 5'11" and leaning towards a L -- but maybe I should try one first. --
    cheers,
    Pat

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I are you going for an XL? do they have an XL? Im 33" inseam and 5'11" and leaning towards a L -- but maybe I should try one first. --
    cheers,
    Pat
    XL doesn't exist until maybe next year.
    I rode an L. Perfect fit.

125mm Reverb was 5" out of seat post, so Lev 150mm would be 4" out of seat post.
    This is not a problem on EPO or Riot because of steep seat angle. If it were a slack seat angle like Evil Following then my ass would be over the cassette!

Reach was perfect for me with a 50mm stem, but bear in mind that if have the legs of a 6'4" person it means I and the body of a 5'11" person.

So Large would probably be good for you with a 50/40mm stem and your reverb 2-3 inches out of tube.

mtbr member

Rich, Are they planning to make both small and XL next year? I could make a medium work but I think as small would've better for me.
    Last edited by manitou2200; 10-06-2015 at 10:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Earlier in this thread they said somethint like that the would need to see how L and M sizes sold and if they make enough dosh to warrant investing in other size molds they would. You'd have read the thread to see what they said exactly.

Got my order confirmed today - shipping is 2 weeks to get to the UK though. Got everything for the build waiting. Its going to be super pimp...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    V
    Quote Originally Posted by BurkeVT View Post
    I've got three rides on my EPO mounted with Derby 35's.
    I too was worried about it being "overstiff." The first ride alleviated that fear. The carbon hoops bring it to the next level. The bike feels more comfortable than my former ride, a Stache 8 running Stan's Flows. The frame and wheels are surgically precise in terms of sticking to a line, but the rims (and frame, I'd imagine) seem to deaden, absorb or redirect the trail chunk much more than aluminum.
    When I was pondering the same question as you, someone here on mtbr commented, "don't look to your wheels as a place to gain compliance."
    I'm glad I listened.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the insight. I tried carbon hoops on both a Scott Scale 920 (carbon frame) and my fireline Evo (Ti). The Scale was reasonably comfy with alloy rims but brutally harsh with carbon. The Ti was ok with carbon, but definitely more comfy with alloys.

The Light bicycle carbon wheelset I have are 32 spokes front and rear - this adds a lot of stiffness. I have a set of 650b 30mm internal Roval Control fatties for my Capra and with 24/28 spokes these are noticably less stiff.

The carbon layering in the rear triangle of the EPo definitely gives some compliance - and the shape (seat and chain stays close together, seat stay at a low/slack angle). Felt more compliant than my TI frame anyway.

Exciting times.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I want! It would make a great compliment to my Following.
    Hello buddy.
    The EPO is replacing both my fireline evo AND my following!

I'm going to run just the EPO for local trail and YT Capra for All-mountain very rough tech...

The EPO is a blast - never got so much air on a hard tail!

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast