Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carabao View Post

I always thought the seatpost clamping bolt had to be opposite of where the frame pinches together on carbon fiber frames, or does it matter ?

mtbr member
    Any of you guys running some sort of frame protection yet? This is my first carbon bike so I'm debating whether or not I should do something for the chainstays and downtube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by johnD View Post
    I always thought the seatpost clamping bolt had to be opposite of where the frame pinches together on carbon fiber frames, or does it matter ?
    had my bike put together at my LBS and he has it exactly like your photo

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I really really want this bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter97 View Post
    Any of you guys running some sort of frame protection yet? This is my first carbon bike so I'm debating whether or not I should do something for the chainstays and downtube

We are using Xpel Xtreme protective film on our EPO demos and I've been using this on all my personal bikes over the past 5 seasons. Xpel Xtreme

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    What does the film do? Just protects the finish?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek200 View Post
    What does the film do? Just protects the finish?
    It's made to protect cars from small rocks a road debris kicking up and chipping paint. It also protects against small impacts with its absorption properties. Will it protect against everything, no, but it will help tremendously.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post
    We are using Xpel Xtreme protective film on our EPO demos and I've been using this on all my personal bikes over the past 5 seasons. Xpel Xtreme
    Thanks for the tip. I'll give that stuff a shot. Just downtube and chainstays I'm assuming?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip. I'll give that stuff a shot. Just downtube and chainstays I'm assuming?
    I use it in any of the high wear areas as well, (TT, SS and CS). Also 3m mastic tape is our favorite material to protect chainstays from chain slap. Nice and clean looking with a ton of impact protection.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Slovenian6474 View Post
    How's that work? When the chain stretches do they just replace the entire chain or do they change their gearing?
    Im successfully running this setup on my singlespeed (not Canfield), I have a narrow-wide chainring and 32x18 (chainstays are about 430mm). Chain gets alarmingly slack but has never fallen off -- (a lot slacker than I used to run my 26er singlespeed with track ends) narrow-wide maybe isnt the best at mud shedding but Ive not had any issues despite racing in some quite muddy conditions

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-slackchain.jpg

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-ssfr2015_pat_david.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by we78 View Post
    Anyone tried this yet?
    Will this work as an XC bike on steroids? I do long rides once a week, fire road stuff for fitness.
    I would love to have a bike that could be fun riding fire roads and occasional XC race and also be fun on the downhills.
    I currently ride an Ibis Ripley and its a bike that exactly fits the profile as a full sus bike.
    Would love a Ripley hardtail
    Thanks!
    Ive raced XC a couple of times on my yelli screamy, the XC course was too tame for it though :-) -- OK its a bit heavier than your standard XC bike, but the EPO frame is actually about 200+g lighter than my Kona Big Kahuna XC bike, and you can save a lot of weight with a second pair of wheels and tyres more suited to XC racing -- thats one of the things I like about the Yelli is that its so versatile, EPO even more so as a bit lighter, shorter CS and longer fork

mtbr member
    May 2013
    What's everyone's opinion on using a DVO Diamond with an EPO? vs. a Pike? I know the Diamond's an option on the Riot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonX View Post
    What's everyone's opinion on using a DVO Diamond with an EPO? vs. a Pike? I know the Diamond's an option on the Riot.
    For me, I don't think it's a good match only because it doesn't have a lock out like the Pike rct3 and it is a bit heavier. If you don't need/value a lockout then go for it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonX View Post
    Once our Diamonds arrive later this month, we will offer EPO/Diamond packages through the webstore as well.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Hey folks, I am building up an EPO now.

I'm having a pretty good go at the build up but I am feeling a little confused about getting these SRAM Guide brakes mounted (w/ 180mm rotors).

Does anyone have SRAMs with 180 rotors on their EPO, and if so can you snap a photo or 3 of the rear caliper mounted up ?

I have the Pike 140 (post mount), a spacer kit "20 S/ 20 P" as recommended from here:

https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign....r_mounting.pdf

When I used the post bracket on the pike the calipers did not seem to be fully on the rotor (about 85-90% seemed covered). For the rear I tried the recommended spacers but they also did not cover the rotor so I used the spacers in the bag that seemed work best and then the leftovers I used on the fork (removing the post bracket) and that seems to be better too. Still, I feel like I do not have these brakes mounted perfectly. It feels like a home wrench screwing stuff up.

I think a picture would really help me get these mounted correctly before I injure myself.

mtbr member
    Y
    Quote Originally Posted by mergs View Post
    Hey folks, I am building up an EPO now.

I'm having a pretty good go at the build up but I am feeling a little confused about getting these SRAM Guide brakes mounted (w/ 180mm rotors).

Does anyone have SRAMs with 180 rotors on their EPO, and if so can you snap a photo or 3 of the rear caliper mounted up ?

I have the Pike 140 (post mount), a spacer kit "20 S/ 20 P" as recommended from here:

https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign....r_mounting.pdf

When I used the post bracket on the pike the calipers did not seem to be fully on the rotor (about 85-90% seemed covered). For the rear I tried the recommended spacers but they also did not cover the rotor so I used the spacers in the bag that seemed work best and then the leftovers I used on the fork (removing the post bracket) and that seems to be better too. Still, I feel like I do not have these brakes mounted perfectly. It feels like a home wrench screwing stuff up.

I think a picture would really help me get these mounted correctly before I injure myself.
    Not sure if this helps since they're Shimano 180, but I did have to use a small washer on the shorter end of post to get correct bite (silver, right side).

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-image.jpg

Canfield Brothers
    The EPO should fit your Guide with only a 180 adapter. We have Shimano brakes on our demo bikes, all brands of brakes mount up with no extra washers or spacers other than the adapter.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    It kind of does, it tells me I don't think I have the calipers covering enough rotor. I'm looking at my Elixirs on my Chilcotin and they seem to cover more rotor too. I measure about 2.8 mm of space between outside top of rotor and the end of the pad itself. I bet I need no space. Here's what I got now:

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-img_20150707_111734.jpg

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-img_20150707_111751.jpg

mtbr member
    fly, I have one of these: https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign....40mm_lrg_0.jpg

Would that work for the rear brake? It seemed like a super tight squeeze which is why I used the spacer kit as depicted in my pics here:

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er - Page 9- Mtbr.com

Thanks... getting close to maiden voyage!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike View Post
    The EPO should fit your Guide with only a 180 adapter. We have Shimano brakes on our demo bikes, all brands of brakes mount up with no extra washers or spacers other than the adapter.
    Could you please tell me if I have the adapter oriented correctly? I've had it on both ways. Thanks!

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mergs View Post
    fly, I have one of these: https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign....40mm_lrg_0.jpg

Would that work for the rear brake? It seemed like a super tight squeeze which is why I used the spacer kit as depicted in my pics here:
    The adapter you linked is for a +40mm to run a 200mm rotor, which would put the caliper in the incorrect position. Running a 160mm can be mounted direct without adapter and you will need a +20mm as imaged below if you are choosing to run a 180mm.

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-epo-brake.jpg

mtbr member
    That helps, thanks!

mtbr member
    MostChillin looking at your pictures it looks like you are using the old CPS adapters for avids, the guides are not designed to use the cps washers, just bolt directly to the adapter, which is why you appear to have the caliper to high.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    OK, fellas I really appreciate the help. Based on feedback here, here's what I came up with. The taller spacer is now in the leading edge on both the front and rear and things look to be aligned nicely.

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-img_20150707_172926.jpgCanfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-img_20150707_172948.jpg

The reason why I'm in this pickle was because I have a good friend in the biz and he ordered me the full XX1 drivetrain for this frame and when your bro does that for you you don't pester him with "tech support". (I also feel like I used up all my lifelines with Sean at CB, haha.) Suffice to say my "bro" ordered the brakes and the spacer kits for me and the trick for me was figuring out which way to orient them and that was where you guys all helped big.

edit: the spacers in each photo are concave and thus I used a convex washer between caliper and spacer.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Front still looks like the bottom piston is too far off the rotor. Rear seems to look ok but the angle isn't as clear.

Canfield Brothers
    When I'm in doubt about the orientation or spacing needed for a brake mount, I'll put the caliper over the rotor with no adapter or bolts. Push it down until the caliper bottoms on the edge of the rotor, you'll be able to see what space is left and the spacers height should match.
    www.mtbparks.com

mtbr member
    Yep, agree. I'll run over to my LBS and get the correct adapter from them.

mtbr member
    She's sporting the dust from her first ride but here she is:

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-20150713_171801-small-.jpgCanfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-20150713_171834-small-.jpgCanfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-20150713_171845-small-.jpg

Damn thing rolls great. Descends like a beast and rides intuitive right from the start. She's weighs in at a svelte 23-24lbs (bathroom scale) as she sits and I didn't even try to save weight (stan's flow, Sram xx1, sram guide rsc, etc. hopefully you can see most of the build up from photos). I could have gone carbon fiber rims, but alas... $$$$.

As you can see I'm still:

1. sorting out the headset stack (I'm actually liking the ride with the stem right on the headset, which surprised me). The higher the stack the harder it is to climb (obviously) but putting it down low didn't seem to sacrifice confidence in rolling and downhill terrain, so far anyway.

2. I made a big mistake with the dropper post. I got a KS Lev 125mm and its simply too short for me when I am on very steep climbs. I'm already selling it (for only $225!) and getting Lev that's 150mm travel and a total of 453mm length. Maybe others won't have this problem but on steep, on the rivet climbs, I felt I couldn't get that leg extension I need for full power.

UPDATE:

My 3rd ride on the EPO last night was killer. I did a ride with a group at Mount Spokane (big climbs and big decents a perfect testing ground for this bike) and the longer dropper seatpost is a must, at least for me in terrain like this. I got a KS Lev dx 150mm and it made a huge difference in climbing (the 125mm travel version I originally ordered did not give me the leg extension I needed). I will be clearing climbs I never got on my Knolly and overall climbing a bit faster. I also put the stem all the way down on the headset with on a Medium frame and my height being 5'9" ish feels great for climbing and still great for descents. Speaking of descending... this thing descends incredibly well. I felt about as fast on this hardtail as on my 6" travel bike. When it gets chunky I do have to slow it down a bit but its a hardtail so I expect that. Also a shout out for the Pike: plush and bottomless and feels as stiff as my Fox 36... a great match up for this frame.
    Last edited by mergs; 07-17-2015 at 09:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post
    What size of the film offered works best for one bike. Thanks

mtbr member
    Man, after reading all about that whole Matt Chester fiasco, it's so refreshing to deal with such a straight up company. Exactly one week after placing my order, my frame has arrived from across the country. Absolutely stunning, couldn't be happier with the quality of this thing. I can't find a flaw so far. The only unfortunate part, is you've beaten most of the parts I've ordered. Well done gentlemen, this thing is killer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Anybody running a singleator/tensioner for singlespeed on this fine frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock503 View Post
    Man, after reading all about that whole Matt Chester fiasco, it's so refreshing to deal with such a straight up company. Exactly one week after placing my order, my frame has arrived from across the country. Absolutely stunning, couldn't be happier with the quality of this thing. I can't find a flaw so far. The only unfortunate part, is you've beaten most of the parts I've ordered. Well done gentlemen, this thing is killer.

You definitely picked the best color
    Red is the fastest frame

Canfield Brothers
    Not that anyone would actually want to do this but here's a video of me riding the EPO down Dirt Merchant in Whistler.

https://youtu.be/A_rYHzUz0jI
    www.mtbparks.com

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I would do it! I might not safely land all those gaps like you did...

screamer
    For those who have upgraded from YS to EPO, can anyone comment on the handling differences? Specifically I'm curious about wheelbase, which according to the geo tables is a whopping 2" longer on the EPO for the large. Granted, geo tables don't tell the whole story but I'm loath to lose the awesome nimble single track handling of my Yelli. I have to think 2" would be pretty noticeable. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip about the Xpel Vin, it's killer! I used the matte on the seat stays, chain stays, top tube, and downtube, and you can barely see it! All my parts are finally here, so I'm excited!

The only thing I would do different is come all the way up the top tube and contour it to match the headtube. You would never even know there was frame protection without that seam.

Last edited by Erock503; 08-03-2015 at 04:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    What width did you get of the Xpel? I was thinking just grab several feet of 2", for all the usual areas, but was also thinking a couple feet of wider material for the down tube might be a good idea - all for my Riot.

mtbr member
    I actually bought a 1' sheet of the 36" matte film, and cut out what I needed. I used some poster paper to make templates on the bike, and cut them out of the sheet. It ended up being more than I needed, but I got extra in case I messed up. It ended up being easier than I thought to actually apply. I didn't see the tape rolls in matte though, or I probably would have grabbed it. Would have saved a lot of time.

mtbr member
    I got a 4 or 5' length of 2.5" width Xpel and I'd get 3" next time. I think 2" would work OK but that extra coverage will be better for downtube, top tube, etc. For me the xpel in 2.5" wrapped around most but not all of the chainstays (I started at top corner of chainstay, down the front and wrapped around the back) its covering pretty well but 3" might go clear around which is probably even better. Right now there is a small area of the inside top of chainstays that are exposed but I was worrying more about chain from below and since I run flat pedals so my heels eventually rub there.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I think the 3" would be best too. That should provide nice coverage on the tt and dt, and you could trim any peices that overlap.

mtbr member
    Finished her up last night, built as a burly xc machine. It weighed in at 22.22lbs without pedals, and 1480g for just the frame. Can't wait for the first ride this week. Hopefully I got all my crashes out of the way last weekend on my beater, too many JKW vids, lol. 5'7" 150lb rider, 100mm dropper, 50mm stem. Fit feels good so far, but may switch to 40mm stem and 30t crank depending how my ride goes. Will be back to update with a ride report, super stoked!

M frame
    reba 120 rct3
    renthal 50mm stem
    renthal fatbar carbon lite
    x0 1x10 drivetrain w/32t
    x0 trail brakes 160/180
    praxis 11-40 cassette
    Roval carbon control rims
    sworks ground control 29x2.3 tubeless w/stans
    ks lev dropper w/southpaw and recourse

Last edited by Erock503; 08-05-2015 at 07:12 AM.

mtbr member

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er

Finished her up last night, built as a burly xc machine. It weighed in at 22.22lbs without pedals, and 1480g for just the frame. Can't wait for the first ride this week. Hopefully I got all my crashes out of the way last weekend on my beater, too many JKW vids, lol. 5'7" 150lb rider, 100mm dropper, 50mm stem. Fit feels good so far, but may switch to 40mm stem and 30t crank depending how my ride goes. Will be back to update with a ride report, super stoked!

M frame
    reba 120 rct3
    renthal 50mm stem
    renthal fatbar carbon lite
    x0 1x10 drivetrain w/32t
    x0 trail brakes 160/180
    praxis 11-40 cassette
    Roval carbon control rims
    sworks ground control 29x2.3 tubeless w/stans
    ks lev dropper w/southpaw and recourse

Looks good!!! Curious how you guys are getting that low on the weights? Mine came in at 25lbs with what I'd consider a pretty light build, plus no dropper

Last edited by Skeeter97; 08-04-2015 at 12:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Looks good!!! Curious how you guys are getting that low on the weights? Mine came in at 25lbs with what I'd consider a pretty light build, plus no dropper

Thanks man, right back at you. I'll check my scale again, but it seemed pretty accurate for the frame compared to published specs. My biggest weight savings came in the tires and rims I think. Those sworks are light, but the casing feels really thin. I'm gonna try them, but I got a little nervous when I felt the sidewalls. You also have a Pike. I would have put one on if I didn't have the Reba already and really liked it. I'm still tempted looking at builds like yours though.

mtbr member

Thanks man, right back at you. I'll check my scale again, but it seemed pretty accurate for the frame compared to published specs. My biggest weight savings came in the tires and rims I think. Those sworks are light, but the casing feels really thin. I'm gonna try them, but I got a little nervous when I felt the sidewalls. You also have a Pike. I would have put one on if I didn't have the Reba already and really liked it. I'm still tempted looking at builds like yours though.
    Yeah I think you're right. The pike, non carbon wheels and pretty chunky tires more than likely add up to the weight difference. Also notice that was your without pedals weight. My tires are about shot and I've got some new hoops being built up now so it'll be interesting to see what the weight looks like after I replace those two.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    If those tires are new, do yourself a favor and exchange them for ones with Grid casing. Or at least the control casing. S works tires cut if you look at them funny. It's not worth the weight savings.

mtbr member
    Yeah that's what I was afraid of. Unfortunately I ordered them from the website since my lbs didn't stock them. I knew right after touching one it might have been a bad idea.

mtbr member

Idea! My burly build turned out pretty light.

26 lbs. 11 oz. with pedals, bottle cage and pump holder attached.

Large frame
    140 Pike
    Nextie 30mm Carbon rims
    Onza Ibex 2.4 front and rear (960g each)
    XT brakes with 185/203 rotors
    SLX cranks
    34t wolf tooth nw
    Saint shifter, dérailleur, and BB
    XT 11-36 cassette
    KS Lev Ti with southpaw remote
    WTB Volt steel rails
    XT trail pedals
    Race face 35mm cockpit, carbon sixc and Santa Cruz lock-ons.
    MRP front dérailleur mount cover, chain guide, and bash (aluminum)

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

To all of you EPO owners. Have any of you owned a yelli? I am in process of building bike (just bought a pike 140) but am starting to worry the seat tube on the yelli may be too slack

Can any of you who have both describe how each handles and address the seat tube. I am a 5'10.5" with a very long inseam.
    Last edited by Derek200; 08-04-2015 at 06:33 PM. Reason: hot enter too soon

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Subscribed to know when those XLs are a reality. Any idea on he geometry of them? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Got my first ride in on some local trails near my house. Typical NE terrain, nothing crazy. Simply awesome.

Climbing feels like less effort than walking on this thing. I had no problems keeping the front down. Even being a hardtail, it kept traction very well going over rough stuff. Way better than my 26" HT, which I assume is the wheels size coming into play. Pointed downhill, this is a game changer for me. I've been building up a 27.5 this season, specifically for road trips I take with a friend to some very rough trails. I just haven't felt as confident on any 29", I thought mostly because of my body size. I have everything for the bike except a frame at this point, where I've just been waiting for Evils offering before deciding. This EPO has thrown a giant monkey wrench in my plans. Now I'm looking at selling my rims and fork to build a 29" instead. I did not think a 29er was capable of handling like this for me.

One section of local trail in particular has always slowed me down on the 29ers. It's a descending section with multiple tight windy turns. My camber felt like a school bus through this section, and it's regarded as an agile bike. My SJ HT 26 feels completely different thru it. This bike ripped through it yesterday, and it "felt" at least as fast as my 26. I didn't have a comp for proof, but the bike felt fast and maneuverable. Anywhere there was a downhill section, this bike makes you look for air. It's also so well balanced, I never felt out of control while airborne.

Couple observations:
    I always knew geometry was important, but this bike really puts it in your face. There were sections of trail I've never hit so fast, even on my full squishies. The bike just instills confidence. The only problem I'm finding, is this bike taunts you to go faster and harder, to the point where you could reach the limits of your skill set. You also start to forget it's a hardtail. There were a couple times I knew I was coming in way too hot, but briefly considered trying to take it before self preservation kicked in. I can see this being a problem going forward, lol. Watch yourself gentlemen!

For fit, if I were any shorter at 5'7" 29" IS, I don't think it would work as well for me. I'm probably right on the border of a S and M. I've got the stem slammed, and can use a 100mm dropper comfortably. The seatpost is low enough on this bike that I could use a 125mm too though, which is a first for me. The way this bike fits me as an M, I think the M to L frames would fit a wide range of riders.

If I were to build it again, I would probably go a little burlier. It's so light, I feel like I could easily afford to add a couple pounds without killing the ride. I absolutely love it as is, the bike feels perfect. However, I feel like the attitude and intent of this bike makes you want to hit anything you see that looks like you could get air. The way this bike makes you ride, I will probably end up destroying my rims or fork eventually. I don't think there is terrain within a 100mi that could break this frame however. Moral of the story, even if you built it to specifically be a XC bike, you probably won't end up riding it like one, lol.

Completely great experience all the way, from ordering the bike to riding it on the trails. Well done Canfield Brothers, this bike kicks ass!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Your review has me second guessing my choice to build a yelli. Maybe I should shell out the extra bucks for the epo

mtbr member
    Ha, sorry man. I look at that review now, and it wasn't supposed to get that long winded. The Yelli got me interested in Canfield, I don't think you could go wrong with either tbh. I strongly considered the Yelli before deciding on the EPO. After riding this thing, I kind of want both now for no good reason, lol. These are fun bikes man.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Yeah. I agree. The seat tube is my only hang up with the yelli. The cost is my only hang up with the epo

mtbr member
    Well, if you are considering it, and can afford it without putting yourself in jeopardy, I would go for it. I have zero regrets, except not having this thing all summer. I really regret farting around with getting specific parts for it now, when I could have been riding for the last 2 weeks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Jeopardy. Haha. Hahaha. Hahahahahahah. ( was supposed to be an evil laugh)

mtbr member
    Thanks for the write up, EROCK. Maybe I should get over the "no dedicated SS" and just run a tensioner on the EPO. And running it geared wouldn't be such a bad thing either..
    My Trannys a fun bike, but the EPO seems to be another level of rowdiness

mtbr member
    Yeah that review is just plain bad. Simply because there is no way for me to convince my cfo that I need to cancel my Honzo order and spend an additional $1200 for frame.

mtbr member
    haha, I hate to sound so giddy, but I cant wipe the smile off my face. I really have to rethink my entire game plan. I have a pile of parts, and 2 sets of the wrong size wheels now, lol.

Has Canfield said they wont be making a provision for SS at some point? Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly needs to be changed to run dedicated single speed?

The tranny and Kona are both great bikes, I'm not gonna put them down. I considered a Honzo, but the fit wasnt right for my stubby legs. it sure checks all the boxes on paper though.

mtbr member
    I am actually updating my 2013 Honzo to the next size up. The geo between the two meds, epo and honzo, are nearly identical. So maybe once I hit my weight goals I drop more off a honzo by going epo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    I am actually updating my 2013 Honzo to the next size up. The geo between the two meds, epo and honzo, are nearly identical. So maybe once I hit my weight goals I drop more off a honzo by going epo.
    Oh interesting, I haven't seen the 2016 models. I tried an older one, and it looks like they updated it quite a bit. Sweet!

mtbr member
    haha, I hate to sound so giddy, but I cant wipe the smile off my face. I really have to rethink my entire game plan. I have a pile of parts, and 2 sets of the wrong size wheels now, lol.

Has Canfield said they wont be making a provision for SS at some point? Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly needs to be changed to run dedicated single speed?

The tranny and Kona are both great bikes, I'm not gonna put them down. I considered a Honzo, but the fit wasnt right for my stubby legs. it sure checks all the boxes on paper though.
    Canfield said earlier (page 1 or 2 of this thread) that no dedicated singlespeed for the EPO, yet... To me, a dedicated SS would be adjustable dropouts or some other frame enhancement ( ibis tranny "slot machine")
    I'm not an expert in the matter, but you need at least one of these: adjustable dropouts, an eccentric BB, or a chain tensioner to run singlespeed. The only carbon frame I've seen with adjustable dropouts is the Pivot Les. The Ibis Tranny has a sliding box system behind the BB area, they call it the slot machine.

Lots of people have been successfully running SS on their Yellis with tensioners. I may try this option with the EPO when the time comes. I really liked my Nimble 9 when I had it. I went to the Ibis tranny for the travel portability. And I'm not going to lie, but a 4lb loss in frame weight was also nice.
    Now that the EPO is here, it's game on

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tmc1171 View Post
    Canfield said earlier (page 1 or 2 of this thread) that no dedicated singlespeed for the EPO, yet... To me, a dedicated SS would be adjustable dropouts or some other frame enhancement ( ibis tranny "slot machine")
    I'm not an expert in the matter, but you need at least one of these: adjustable dropouts, an eccentric BB, or a chain tensioner to run singlespeed. The only carbon frame I've seen with adjustable dropouts is the Pivot Les. The Ibis Tranny has a sliding box system behind the BB area, they call it the slot machine.

Lots of people have been successfully running SS on their Yellis with tensioners. I may try this option with the EPO when the time comes. I really liked my Nimble 9 when I had it. I went to the Ibis tranny for the travel portability. And I'm not going to lie, but a 4lb loss in frame weight was also nice.
    Now that the EPO is here, it's game on
    Ahh, I get it now. So do the adjustable dropouts or sliders need to be periodically adjusted to keep proper tension? Wouldn't some kind of tensioner end up being easier?

Would something like this work?
    http://www.philwood.com/products/bbp...hilcentric.php

mtbr member
    So I've been riding this bike all week, about as much as possible. Took it on a road trip this weekend and it performed flawlessly. I just had to heap a bit more praise on the brothers and their badass bike.
    Last edited by Erock503; 08-09-2015 at 08:06 PM.

mtbr member
    So I've been riding this bike all week, about as much as possible. Took it on a road trip this weekend and it performed flawlessly. I just had to heap a bit more praise on the brothers and their badass bike.
    Right on glad you're loving it. I've yet to hear a bad comment about these bikes. The bad news is I grenaded my rear hub (I'd like to think its because of all the power I'm throwing down ) so she's out of service at the moment. The good news is it prompted me to have a new wheelset built up and it should be here tomorrow!! Pics to come shortly

mtbr member
    Right on glad you're loving it. I've yet to hear a bad comment about these bikes. The bad news is I grenaded my rear hub (I'd like to think its because of all the power I'm throwing down ) so she's out of service at the moment. The good news is it prompted me to have a new wheelset built up and it should be here tomorrow!! Pics to come shortly

ahh, that sucks, sorry man. At least something good is going to come of it though
    I can't believe I'm having this big epiphany that I can actually whip around a 29er, lol.

Mine was out of service today too, cable stretch on my dropper and derailluer. I had it on the stand today, and a friend wanted to go riding. I grabbed my 26 SJ HT and we headed out. I'm already ruined by this bike. I felt twitchy and steep hitting some of the same lines I've been hitting all week. It took me a bit to adjust back to the 26, and all I wanted to do was go home and get the EPO, lol. My SJ isn't junk either, 24lbs and slacked out with a Reba 100mm to 69deg, X9 drivetrain, WTB i23 with NN and Hans.

mtbr member

EPO got some new hoops and tires today. Stans Flow/hope pro 2 Evo built up by lacemine29. Went maxxis ardent 2.4 up front with a maxxis ikon 2.35 on the back. Fantastic combo!! Took it out today for a spin and couldn't be happier

mtbr member
    Oh and thought this was a cool EPO pic so figured I'd share

mtbr member
    That looks so badass, congrats!

That build is screaming for a dropper man. Honestly, give it a try, you'll wonder how you lived without it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-epo.jpg

My size medium build came in at 25lbs without pedals
    Ibis 941 wheelset
    Schwalbe NN 2.35 rear HD 2.35 front
    XO1 drivetrain
    XT brakes
    Pike 140
    KS LEV 150 dropper

Such a confident ride I rarely remember that it is a hardtail.

mtbr member
    That's the exact wheelset and tire set I'm looking at right now. Nice build man!

mtbr member
    Really nice build. How's the wheels ride.
    Four wheels move my body Two wheels move my soul

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Wheels are great--I'm running 16-17 psi in the front and 18 rear which is a drop of about 3psi for me. So far no problems! I can really feel the ground with the combination it makes the traction predictable and is confidence inspiring.

mtbr member
    what a flat out crazy fun bike.

I got to ride with a group of friends on about 17 acres of private lands this week. lots of great flowy trail, most of it it well kept, but it was easy to wind up on trails that hadn't been ridden in years. We eventually did just that, and hit about a mile section of steep old dried up creek bed. This bike just flew through it. It honestly felt like cheating how this thing ate up big hits. I heard lots of swearing on the way down, and lots of swearing on the way back up, all directed at me. it was glorious, lol. everyone had to ogle my bike after the ride, and general consensus was it was definitely the bike. no argument here.

couple more observations. although Im very happy with the performance of the reba with the rct3 damper, I noticed after the ride that my o-ring was mashed into my crown. I never really noticed it bottoming out, but I must have been hammering on this poor fork. this bike screams for travel.

the only time I even thought about having rear suspension, was ironically going uphill! I hit one really nasty section of steep climb with larger rocks and roots that bounced my backend around a bit. Pointed down, this thing will make you really reconsider what a hardtail is capaple of.

mtbr member
    ^^^ what he said.. I still can't figure out how this thing rides better than my two previous full squishy bikes, and I can't quite explain it well to my buddies when asked. Never thought a hardtail could be this fun

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I like the Yelli but the seat tube angle on the EPO is more my style.
    Last edited by BirdBike; 08-24-2015 at 12:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Pulled the trigger, should have my EPO in a few days.
    Going to set it up SS with a tensioner for now

mtbr member

EPO Pics

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-dsc01800.jpg

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-dsc01803.jpg

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-dsc01805.jpg

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-dsc01820.jpg

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-dsc01836.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Anyone can share experience running 27.5+ on the EPO? Seriously considering picking up this frame when it is available again and getting some 27.5+ wheels/tires to swap out when the mood strikes...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    Anyone can share experience running 27.5+ on the EPO? Seriously considering picking up this frame when it is available again and getting some 27.5+ wheels/tires to swap out when the mood strikes...
    +1, I'd like to hear any experience with this also.

mtbr member
    +2

mtbr member
    I have a set of the lowend spec 650b fatties, along with a set of wtb tb 2.8. the bike is so fun as is, I forgot all about it. thanks for reminding me! I have to let them stretch out a bit though, theyve been in a box for a couple months. I need to order another cassette too, but I can set it up for clearance pics. ill try to get on it this week. If it wasnt for you guys, I honestly probably wouldnt even bother, I'm very hesitant to change any aspect of the handling. it feels dialed with the wagon wheels.

mtbr member
    Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-image.jpgHere's mine. Dropper is on order. Getting some chain slip, prob needs more chain wrap. When I have time, Going to shorten chain and maybe have tensioner push up on the chain instead of down.
    It's killing me that I can't give it a proper flogging yet.
    Weight is 22 lbs, 5 ozs as is.
    Here's the general build:
    Wheel set- Nextie 35mm, I9 hubs/spokes
    Cranks- Race Face Next w/ AB 32 oval ring
    Fork- Pike 140 46mm offset
    Brakes- XT 160/140
    Tires- front ikon 2.35, rear ikon 2.2. Going to put the 2.35 ikon in the rear and a 2.4 Ardent up front.
    Sorry for the house lean pic, sorta lame for such a badass bike. Will post a proper ride report & pics once I get this chain slip thing sorted out.

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	220.8 KB 
ID:	1012235Here's mine. Dropper is on order. Getting some chain slip, prob needs more chain wrap. When I have time, Going to shorten chain and maybe have tensioner push up on the chain instead of down.
    Brakes- XT 160/140
    Tires- front ikon 2.35, rear ikon 2.2. Going to put the 2.35 ikon in the rear and a 2.4 Ardent up front.
    Sorry for the house lean pic, sorta lame for such a badass bike. Will post a proper ride report & pics once I get this chain slip thing sorted out.
    Nice, and you got the right offset in my opinion! Love the way mine handles. I also have the 35 Nexties, so far so good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Why a 46 offset? Thought they recommended a 51

mtbr member
    I got the 46 offset in case I decide to reduce the travel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Oh. Do they recommend less offset for shorter travel? I missed that detail!

mtbr member
    It's more about head angle and trail. The slacker the HA the more trail you have and the longer offset helps reduce the trail slightly.

mtbr member

29ers handling is improved with the greater offset and reduced trail by slightly quicker handling at the expense of a longer wheelbase.

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	220.8 KB 
ID:	1012235Here's mine. Dropper is on order. Getting some chain slip, prob needs more chain wrap. When I have time, Going to shorten chain and maybe have tensioner push up on the chain instead of down.
    Brakes- XT 160/140
    So bling, sick ride, congrats man. You guys with 140 forks are killing me. I love the way the bike handles with 120, but I'm riding it much harder than I anticipated. 140 travel and some beefier stanchions are my next upgrade.

mtbr member
    Thanks!
    Typo, rotors are 180/160
    I can't get this Singelator to work, shortened the chain also. Next stop, Rennen tensioner.
    I also have gears on the way. I just want to ride this thing!!

mtbr member
    Thanks!
    Typo, rotors are 180/160
    I can't get this Singelator to work, shortened the chain also. Next stop, Rennen tensioner.
    I also have gears on the way. I just want to ride this thing!!
    seems like it should be such a simple device. does it use a spring for tension?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

I got the 46 offset in case I decide to reduce the travel.
    Bike handles ok with the 46mm offset at 140mm?

I really want to get this frame but a new fork is not in the budget yet. I have an older revelation rct 140 on my yelli that I was thinking of using on the epo but I believe the offset is 46 on the older revelation forks.
    I've been perfectly happy with the fork on the yelli so was hoping it would work just as well on the epo

Fake it 'til you make it
    That's a really nice build.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    EPOs are still on schedule to arrive late September?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Bike handles ok with the 46mm offset at 140mm?

I really want to get this frame but a new fork is not in the budget yet. I have an older revelation rct 140 on my yelli that I was thinking of using on the epo but I believe the offset is 46 on the older revelation forks.
    I've been perfectly happy with the fork on the yelli so was hoping it would work just as well on the epo
    The verdict earlier in this thread was 46 offsets suits the EPO better - I hope so as I just bought a sale Pike 140 46 and not ready to order EPO yet (but will put the Pike on my Yelli once I've built a 15mm hub front wheel).

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by arclarke View Post
    The verdict earlier in this thread was 46 offsets suits the EPO better - I hope so as I just bought a sale Pike 140 46 and not ready to order EPO yet (but will put the Pike on my Yelli once I've built a 15mm hub front wheel).
    Yeah I'm so confused about the best offset for the epo at 140mm travel....might be able to get a used Fox 34 51mm offset for a good price or stick with the original plan and use the 46mm offset revelation....
    What fork/offset is on your yelli now?

mtbr member

It's not worth fretting over much, really! 46mm offset more trail but shorter wheelbase. 51mm offset less trail but longer wheelbase. I wouldn't bother with a 51mm offset on a 120 and at 140 with the 1 degree slacker head angle the 51mm OS starts to make more sense. Both will ride and handle well. I have both 46 and 51, 140's and 100 and 120 mil 46 OS forks and they all ride and handle well!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yeah I'm so confused about the best offset for the epo at 140mm travel....might be able to get a used Fox 34 51mm offset for a good price or stick with the original plan and use the 46mm offset revelation....
    What fork/offset is on your yelli now?
    Now 51mm, on Revelation at 120mm - was 46mm but I needed to replace the stantions and could only get a 51mmOS CSU. I preferred it with 46mm - the 5mm more trail makes it a bit less quick-steering.

mtbr member
    EPOs are still on schedule to arrive late September?

EPO's will be arriving at our warehouse in just a few weeks.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast