Quote Originally Posted by Raleighguy29 View Post
    Yes very similar epo might be a tick longer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sounds like I should go large then. Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopbreakindown View Post
    I put a 29x2.6 Schwalbe NN in the back of the Epo on a WTB Asymi35 rim

It fits, but I wouldn't run it, maybe in the desert but not where I live.

Thinking the Rekon 29x2.6 might do the trick w/ the smaller knobs.
    Fitted the 29x2.6 Maxxis Rekon tires today, they clear, should be good to go unless they stretch a bunch. Might have slight rubbing on the CS in hard corners due to frame flex but won't be able to ride/verify till May.

Edit: mounted on i33 nextie rims
    Last edited by Stopbreakindown; 12-30-2017 at 12:29 PM. Reason: added rim specs

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Is a boost EPO on the way for 18?

mtbr member
    I just wanted to update and say that this is now my favorite bike in my stable. Holy cow is it fun! But even so, on a rocky ride yesterday that i am well familiar with I managed 17 PRs (everything but one crux move). Still learning the limits pushing through rock gardens descending, but overall, I cannot believe how much fun and how fast i can ride on a hardtail! Shot from yesterdays ride:

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-whitemesadronesunset.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    WOW - i've ridden that "crater" near Santa Fe - in the spring - no snow dusting as it appears in your pic - but its an inspiring and unique view every time you look a different direction or from the bottom looking up before coming out of it!!

looks kinda like what you'd expect from the moon or Mars!! HA - if the current sale EPO was boost i'd own it already - but have a plus ready and capable 27.5 boost wheel set and only would need a 29 to have both option... Hence why im sooooooo freekin close to a chrome n9 boost...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    WOW - i've ridden that "crater" near Santa Fe - in the spring - no snow dusting as it appears in your pic - but its an inspiring and unique view every time you look a different direction or from the bottom looking up before coming out of it!!

looks kinda like what you'd expect from the moon or Mars!! HA - if the current sale EPO was boost i'd own it already - but have a plus ready and capable 27.5 boost wheel set and only would need a 29 to have both option... Hence why im sooooooo freekin close to a chrome n9 boost...
    There are a few folks running boost wheels on the epo. Fyi...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    is that right??? i guess i need to do some more in depth searching unless anyone wants to jump in with the quick and dirty about this -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    is that right??? i guess i need to do some more in depth searching unless anyone wants to jump in with the quick and dirty about this -
    I have read that they have test fit boost wheels in to most (all?) of their frames and they work just fine. The only thing required is a thru axle that is 6mm longer than the stock one.
    -VeloRyan-

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by VeloRyan View Post
    I have read that they have test fit boost wheels in to most (all?) of their frames and they work just fine. The only thing required is a thru axle that is 6mm longer than the stock one.
    Be curious to hear from anyone with firsthand experience trying this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Damnit, I have succomb to self induced forum pressure by re-re-re reading this thread.

Thanks to the Bros and all you enablers here, I have a frame enroute.

Let the game begin!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Has anyone else been surprised at the maximum depth of seat post insertion?? I'm just about to start building up my Medium frame (I'm about 5'11" - 6'0" and got a BikeYoke Revive 185mm dropper. When I received the dropper yesterday and slid it into the frame, it stopped about 1.5 - 2.0 inches before I had expected and well before it reached the front derailleur mount. No other hardware or bends are present in the seat tube and I hadn't verified the depth with another post before I bough the dropper. I was surprised, given it's a straight seat tube with internal routing, that you couldn't insert the post all the way down to the where the cable exits the frame. It's likely that the saddle will be too high and I'll have to exchange for the 160mm version. Just seems a little surprising given the type of bike and that I'm at the high end of the height scale for a Medium already that a longer dropper wouldn't fit. 160mm would still be a huge upgrade for me, but it's a bummer that I potentially miscalculated.

mtbr member
    Might just be some excess material in there. Have you taken a look to see what is actually causing the obstruction?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty4130 View Post
    Has anyone else been surprised at the maximum depth of seat post insertion?? I'm just about to start building up my Medium frame (I'm about 5'11" - 6'0" and got a BikeYoke Revive 185mm dropper. When I received the dropper yesterday and slid it into the frame, it stopped about 1.5 - 2.0 inches before I had expected and well before it reached the front derailleur mount. No other hardware or bends are present in the seat tube and I hadn't verified the depth with another post before I bough the dropper. I was surprised, given it's a straight seat tube with internal routing, that you couldn't insert the post all the way down to the where the cable exits the frame. It's likely that the saddle will be too high and I'll have to exchange for the 160mm version. Just seems a little surprising given the type of bike and that I'm at the high end of the height scale for a Medium already that a longer dropper wouldn't fit. 160mm would still be a huge upgrade for me, but it's a bummer that I potentially miscalculated.
    At your size why did you go with a medium. Iím 5í8 on a large and I could easily fit a 150 dropper slammed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Hi all
    New to bike building and putting together an EPO and hope someone can help. Have a sram GXP team English threaded BB and sram gxp 1400 crankset with 32t chainring. When i install the chainring contacts the frame chainstay. Sram indicates to not use spacers (and even trying with couple spacers) seems to contact chainstay. Any help/advice on where I have gone wrong!
    Thanks!
    Dixon

mtbr member
    Whatís the offset on your chain ring. I had the same problem with mine. Solved it with a less offset chain ring

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Whatís the offset on your chain ring. I had the same problem with mine. Solved it with a less offset chain ring

Hi Sorry, not sure on this, it is this crankset:

Wiggle | SRAM GX 1400 1x GXP Chainset (with 32T Chainring) | Chainsets

Do you mean how much the chainring is set back from being in line with the contact point between the BB and the back of the crank?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixon_303 View Post
    Hi Sorry, not sure on this, it is this crankset:

Wiggle | SRAM GX 1400 1x GXP Chainset (with 32T Chainring) | Chainsets

Do you mean how much the chainring is set back from being in line with the contact point between the BB and the back of the crank?

Cheers
    Look at the Canfield site for build specs (found on the EPO page). It will tell you what offset your chainring should be. Chainrings come in a variety of offsets to accommodate a variety of B.B. and chainstay widths. Your offset is probably not correct.

mtbr member
    Hi all
    New to bike building and putting together an EPO and hope someone can help. Have a sram GXP team English threaded BB and sram gxp 1400 crankset with 32t chainring. When i install the chainring contacts the frame chainstay. Sram indicates to not use spacers (and even trying with couple spacers) seems to contact chainstay. Any help/advice on where I have gone wrong!
    Thanks!
    Dixon
    Make sure your dust covers are on the bearings. Did you try spindle spacers? If so try a spacer under the BB shell it wonít interfere with the chainring. You most likely have a 6 mm offset chainring. You could get a 3mm offset ring which is normally only needed for boost rear ends but will Work either way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by callmesb View Post
    Look at the Canfield site for build specs (found on the EPO page). It will tell you what offset your chainring should be. Chainrings come in a variety of offsets to accommodate a variety of B.B. and chainstay widths. Your offset is probably not correct.
    The Bros. claim 32 is the largest but IMO a 30 is the biggest that will work. I put a 32 on and barely cleared the CS. Not enough room for flexing IMO. I run a 30 with no probs.

mtbr member
    Either 3mm offset or 0 offset bb30 ring will be fine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    The Bros. claim 32 is the largest but IMO a 30 is the biggest that will work. I put a 32 on and barely cleared the CS. Not enough room for flexing IMO. I run a 30 with no probs.
    Iím running a GX 32 with no issues.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Either 3mm offset or 0 offset bb30 ring will be fine.

Hi all
    Thanks for the replies and advice. LBS said may be due to chain ring being too large. Sean at Canfield bro also got back to me to say need direct mount chainring. The crank I have with chainring currently uses spider to attach chainring. So gonna look at getting DM chainring with maybe 30t and hopefully will be good to go. All these different options and standards sure are confusing!
    Anyone have any good recommendation for crankset fitting gxp BB already with DM let me know, or recommendation for good DM chainring that won't break the bank?
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Hi all
    Thanks for the replies and advice. LBS said may be due to chain ring being too large. Sean at Canfield bro also got back to me to say need direct mount chainring. The crank I have with chainring currently uses spider to attach chainring. So gonna look at getting DM chainring with maybe 30t and hopefully will be good to go. All these different options and standards sure are confusing!
    Anyone have any good recommendation for crankset fitting gxp BB already with DM let me know, or recommendation for good DM chainring that won't break the bank?
    Cheers
    XO1, XX1 can be found reasonably used. I prefer SRAM rings, I have not had great luck w/Race Face rings. RF anything to be honest.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    So is that go crank same as the one I have? Or is it direct mounted chain ring? Cheers

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    So is that go crank same as the one I have? Or is it direct mounted chain ring? Cheers
    Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-hxyi3ajrskiznoy3w2nnmg.jpgCanfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-ahztutq0sooyuqvfbukfbw.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HXyi3AjrSKiznoY3w2nnMg.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	1177171Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ahzTUtq0SoOyuQVFBUKfBw.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	1177172
    So yes this is essentially exactly what I have except I have the gx 1400 cranks but don't see that making a difference. Exact same chainring and bb but my chainring cuts into the chainstay. How do you upload photos and will provide?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    So yes this is essentially exactly what I have except I have the gx 1400 cranks but don't see that making a difference. Exact same chainring and bb but my chainring cuts into the chainstay. How do you upload photos and will provide?
    Mine is a 2016 pre-boost model so that may make a difference. Also, SRAM makes a variety of chainring offsets for that chainring. Yours may be a different offset than mine.

mtbr member
    Download the Tapatalk App for you phone and get on MTBR through the App

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Mine is a 2016 pre-boost model so that may make a difference. Also, SRAM makes a variety of chainring offsets for that chainring. Yours may be a different offset than mine.
    Mine 2017 but still pre boost. On that thought do you think using a boost crankset would solve it?
    Otherwise is there a way to tell from the chainring it's offset? I was not given any option or information on offset when ordered it.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Mine 2017 but still pre boost. On that thought do you think using a boost crankset would solve it?
    Otherwise is there a way to tell from the chainring it's offset? I was not given any option or information on offset when ordered it.
    Cheers
    https://www.oneupcomponents.com/page...-and-non-boost

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Cheers, good info! Have ordered a chromag direct mount 30t so hopefully being both less teeth and also DM should have it sorted! The kind fellas at Canfield are also gonna fire across a 32t DM they know works too to try but will be a while before gets across the pond.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

New EPO Build

Here's my EPO, Thanks to Sean at CB. My luggage scale shows 25.9 lbs as built, including the protection tape.

Build:

Frame: CB 2017 EPO Medium
    Fort: DVO Diamond 140mm
    Handlbar: RaceFace SixC 775mm
    Stem: Syncro 50mm
    Brakes: Shimano XT
    Shifter: Shimano XT
    RD: Shimno XT 11spd
    Rear Cassette: Shimano XT 11-46
    Cracksets: CB 170mm with CB chaining 32T
    Hedset: Canecreek
    Grip: Ergon GE1 Slim
    Pedal: CB Crampon Mountain
    Seatpost: Brand-X Ascend (Cheap but functional)
    Saddle: Ergon SME3 Comp
    Wheelset: Stan Arch EX
    Tires: F - Specialized Buther 2.3 / R - Schwalbe NobbyNic 2.2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-0110181837reduced.jpg  

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-0112182334reduced.jpg  

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-0112182334areduced.jpg  

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-0112182334breduced.jpg  

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-0113181141areduced.jpg  

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-0113181141reduced.jpg  

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-0107181327.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbpark View Post
    Here's my EPO, Thanks to Sean at CB. My luggage scale shows 25.9 lbs as built, including the protection tape.
    Looks like you're close to me...I'm in Duvall.

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-img_8147.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I guess someday we will see at Cherry Valley.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I was there on Saturday.

The Riddler
    Been on an EPO part-time for about a year. It definitely handles whatever I throw at it and is always a fun transition from my Santa Cruz 5010.

Thinking I might get bit by the enduro bug and need a burlier full-suspension rig. My original thought was to sell the 5010, but lately I've just been having the most fun on that bike. Been riding/racing hardtails for almost 20 years and definitely enjoy them, but not sure they offer the most opportunity for progression anymore and I would benefit most from honing in on jumping skills and line selection on my full-suspension rig, at speed.

Anyone have to or choose to ditch their hardtail to keep the stable at a 2 bike maximum and offer any insight? Or talk me out of it??

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaparzo View Post
    Been on an EPO part-time for about a year. It definitely handles whatever I throw at it and is always a fun transition from my Santa Cruz 5010.

Thinking I might get bit by the enduro bug and need a burlier full-suspension rig. My original thought was to sell the 5010, but lately I've just been having the most fun on that bike. Been riding/racing hardtails for almost 20 years and definitely enjoy them, but not sure they offer the most opportunity for progression anymore and I would benefit most from honing in on jumping skills and line selection on my full-suspension rig, at speed.

Anyone have to or choose to ditch their hardtail to keep the stable at a 2 bike maximum and offer any insight? Or talk me out of it??
    I started with a 1 bike stable of a Yeti SB95 (29er trail bike). I added the EPO and quickly discovered I could ride anything on the EPO that I could ride on the Yeti. Decided I needed more separation between the 2 bikes and sold the Yeti and bought a 2018 Rocky Mountain Slayer (Enduro bike 170mm front and 165mm rear). I specifically chose the Slayer because it pedals very well so I could use it as a trail bike in addition to a bike park bike.

I've had the Slayer for a little over a month now and been super happy with the decision. I honestly haven't ridden the EPO in the last month but I think it's because of new bike giddyness. However I do not regret the decision of keeping the hardtail because having too drastically different bikes was the right decision. I did a 27 mile 4500 ft elevation ride on the Slayer that I could have done on the hardtail and been happy either way.... But if I go to the bike park, I definitely wouldn't be as happy on the hardtail.

The Enduro bike has been so much fun because it absolutely crushes trails at speed. The faster you go the smoother it gets. I've been beating my PRs by a massive margin on the Slayer whereas the Yeti and EPO were similar times.

Bottom line, if you get an Enduro bike that pedals well I don't think you would ride your 5010 as much because they would be too similar. For xc/not gnarly rides you would be much happier on the EPO because it is lighter and faster going up.

Here's a few pics of my stable!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I agree with this--get rid of the 5010 for a burly enduro rig. If you want to stay with 29", Evil Wreckoning, Yeti SB5.5, Rocky Mountain Instinct BC Edition, Orbea Rallon, Santa Cruz Hightower LT, etc. Lots of 27.5" Enduro rigs too, like the Balance, Ibis HD4, SC Nomad or Bronson, Evil The Calling, and so on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I just bought an EPO and did my first ride on it today. It was a blast. I found myself cleaning up my lines with it. It handled a bunch of drops and a couple small gaps. I decided to add it to Yeti 5.5C. I love my Yeti but find it overkill for a lot of my local trails. They nailed it on this bike.

mtbr member

Hadnít my epo out in a while so when we decided to do a ice ride this morning why not take the epo. Must say damn I love this bike. Even on a icy trail I still had a blast

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by pastoli View Post
    I just bought an EPO and did my first ride on it today. It was a blast. I found myself cleaning up my lines with it. It handled a bunch of drops and a couple small gaps. I decided to add it to Yeti 5.5C. I love my Yeti but find it overkill for a lot of my local trails. They nailed it on this bike.
    Hehe, welcome to the club! I have the Epo as perfect complement to my SB6c - and a friend runs the Epo in combination with his SB4.5.
    They seem to be soulmates, the Epos and those turquoise rigs...

...and it LOVES Snow...

Cheers
    B

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I am really enjoying having two bikes that span the spectrum. I used to have a Following as my single-quiver bike. Sold it. Now riding a EPO and a Wreckoning. Both have their place and like both for different reasons.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Berm View Post
    I am really enjoying having two bikes that span the spectrum. I used to have a Following as my single-quiver bike. Sold it. Now riding a EPO and a Wreckoning. Both have their place and like both for different reasons.
    I totally agree with you. I had a Yeti SB95 trail bike... Got the EPO and felt they were too similar as I was going just as fast on the EPO as on the Yeti. Sold the Yeti and got a 2018 Rocky Mountain Slayer (Enduro bike) and now just crushing my PRs on it... No way for me to go as fast on the EPO but feel the separation is perfect!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    At your size why did you go with a medium. Iím 5í8 on a large and I could easily fit a 150 dropper slammed.

I'm comfortable on the Medium. Guess I tend to ride bikes that are on the smaller side. Large would work fine too though I'm sure. Best bike ever!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Cheers, good info! Have ordered a chromag direct mount 30t so hopefully being both less teeth and also DM should have it sorted! The kind fellas at Canfield are also gonna fire across a 32t DM they know works too to try but will be a while before gets across the pond.
    I'm running XT Crankset with 32T chainring. It is very close but it works great. No rubbing. i don't think there should be much flex in that area as someone else has postulated. 30T is a safer choice though!

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Glad to hear the EPO takes a 2.6 tires. I ended up not choosing the EPO due to it's limited tire clearance, but then again I was comparing it against bikes that could fit 275x3.5" tires. I ended up cheaping out a $400 lightweight aggressive aluminum frame, but discovered that it can't fit the tires I want to run, either. Had I known 29x2.6 tire fit I might have taken a second look at the EPO. The prices are hard to ignore...

I still hoping future variants of the EPO adopt huge tire clearances. 275x3.25" and 29x2.8" would be rad. Perhaps some straighter lines for large/easier frame-bag fitment?
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Glad to hear the EPO takes a 2.6 tires. I ended up not choosing the EPO due to it's limited tire clearance, but then again I was comparing it against bikes that could fit 275x3.5" tires. I ended up cheaping out a $400 lightweight aggressive aluminum frame, but discovered that it can't fit the tires I want to run, either. Had I known 29x2.6 tire fit I might have taken a second look at the EPO. The prices are hard to ignore...

I still hoping future variants of the EPO adopt huge tire clearances. 275x3.25" and 29x2.8" would be rad. Perhaps some straighter lines for large/easier frame-bag fitment?
    It sounds like you're looking for a Surly Krampus, not a trail hardtail like the EPO.

mtbr member

The epo needs to stay the same curvy sexy minx she is

mtbr member
    The epo needs to stay the same curvy sexy minx she is

Agreed.

It sounds like you're looking for a Surly Krampus, not a trail hardtail like the EPO.
    No, I like my bikes to be versatile and lightweight. Just because a bike is lightweight doesn't mean it should be tire size limited. Carbon fiber should allow greater versatility through the ability to have tubing molds not limited by weld strength or yoke design. The EPO was designed back when a 2.8 tire was just barely (bigger than a 2.5) on the scene and 29er tires maxed out at 2.4". The EPO is an "old mold". Revolutionary for it's day, but I believe somewhat dated today.

I personally hate all the steel bikes currently available because they are pigs in terms of weight. What's the point in riding a hardtail that weighs 30lbs when an alloy full-suspension can easily match that in terms of weight, while providing a far more versatile ride? Titanium is a good alternative if you've got the cash, but nothing matches carbon in terms of weight.

What I'm suggesting is that Canfield aim high for the next iteration of the EPO. Instead of trying to compete with the Honzo CR (which is limited to a ridiculously small 2.3 tire), the EPO v2 could aspire to compete with the Stache Carbon, or maybe even appeal to the bikepackers who want bigger tires clearances.

Offering better tire clearances would have virtually no impact on weight or other design features that make the EPO what it is. You don't have to choose between fitting a 29x2.6 with proper clearances and 140mm fork. You just have to demand that the industry give you what you want instead of telling you what you should settle with.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    No, I like my bikes to be versatile and lightweight. Just because a bike is lightweight doesn't mean it should be tire size limited. Carbon fiber should allow greater versatility through the ability to have tubing molds not limited by weld strength or yoke design. The EPO was designed back when a 2.8 tire was just barely (bigger than a 2.5) on the scene and 29er tires maxed out at 2.4". The EPO is an "old mold". Revolutionary for it's day, but I believe somewhat dated today.

I personally hate all the steel bikes currently available because they are pigs in terms of weight. What's the point in riding a hardtail that weighs 30lbs when an alloy full-suspension can easily match that in terms of weight, while providing a far more versatile ride? Titanium is a good alternative if you've got the cash, but nothing matches carbon in terms of weight.

What I'm suggesting is that Canfield aim high for the next iteration of the EPO. Instead of trying to compete with the Honzo CR (which is limited to a ridiculously small 2.3 tire), the EPO v2 could aspire to compete with the Stache Carbon, or maybe even appeal to the bikepackers who want bigger tires clearances.
    My EPO weighs in at 29lbs with flats and a dropper, so...

My comment was more directed at your desire for large tires and bag clearance. The lines and geo of the EPO were designed to provide somewhat aggressive trail capabilities in a hardtail platform. You can certainly use the EPO for anything under the sun, but fighting it's designed intention just makes for more work or compromises. By that same token, if Canfield suddenly turned the EPO into a bike-packing, fat-tire friendly rig, it would compromise the things most of its users love about it.

Out of curiosity, what's your ideal total weight for a bike with 3" tires and loaded down with bags?

mtbr member

Offering better tire clearances would have virtually no impact on weight or other design features that make the EPO what it is. You don't have to choose between fitting a 29x2.6 with proper clearances and 140mm fork. You just have to demand that the industry give you what you want instead of telling you what you should settle with.
    The prob then becomes chainring clearance. As is you are limited to a 30 (32 can fit but is WAY close). To accommodate that you have to go to Boost chainrings which gives less than optimal chainline. It doesnít matter to me in the end because I love my Ď17 EPO and Iím not switching anytime soon. Iíve ridden both fat and plus size tires and just donít see the appeal. Seems like the giant plus bike would be up your alley though.

Chainstays would certainly need to be longer in order to incorporate bigger tires.

In any case, I think an updated EPO will fit 29x2.6 and 275x3.0. I think Canfield is just waiting for the older model to clear out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Anyone has an idea what company in Taiwan actually makes epo?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetorange View Post
    Anyone has an idea what company in Taiwan actually makes epo?
    Apro tech CO. Ltd TaÔwan

Envoyť de mon E6633 en utilisant Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Here are a couple of 360 videos of me on my EPO following a couple of my friends on their new Santa Cruz Nomads (M4). Just as fast as them!

Because it's a 360 video, you can swipe around on the video to control the camera. Also make sure to adjust the quality to the highest setting. Last, subscribe to my channel as I'm trying to get to 100 subscribers so I can customize my YouTube url. Thank you!

https://youtu.be/L0TNH_L97UU
    https://youtu.be/nSz_DQ6UT34

mtbr member
    While thats pretty cool, if you want followers you should do some editing of the slow/climbs and maybe add some music. Also the fwd view has your left hand in the way most of the time.
    What is the camera setup for 360?.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scottay View Post
    While thats pretty cool, if you want followers you should do some editing of the slow/climbs and maybe add some music. Also the fwd view has your left hand in the way most of the time.
    What is the camera setup for 360?.
    Thanks for the tips. Editing 360 videos is above my pay grade! . With my limited knowledge, I know it's much more difficult to cut and edit 360 videos. I have some other posted videos where I took the 360 video and made them flat. Totally agree my arm blocks too much of the fwd view... I've found a slightly better position and will be posting to YouTube for feedback.

I'm not trying to be a professional YouTuber, just want to create a channel to play around with. Maybe get some free products someday. And for fun.

I'm using an Insta360 ONE with the new flowstate firmware upgrade. The camera is mounted to my hip via the Stuntman Chest/Shoulder/Hip mount. No gimbal necessary since the FlowState stabilization software smooths everything out (like the Rylo).

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by caldog View Post
    Thanks for the tips. Editing 360 videos is above my pay grade! . With my limited knowledge, I know it's much more difficult to cut and edit 360 videos. I have some other posted videos where I took the 360 video and made them flat. Totally agree my arm blocks too much of the fwd view... I've found a slightly better position and will be posting to YouTube for feedback.

I'm not trying to be a professional YouTuber, just want to create a channel to play around with. Maybe get some free products someday. And for fun.

I'm using an Insta360 ONE with the new flowstate firmware upgrade. The camera is mounted to my hip via the Stuntman Chest/Shoulder/Hip mount. No gimbal necessary since the FlowState stabilization software smooths everything out (like the Rylo).

Here is another video where I have the camera a little further out on my hip and a little lower.

https://youtu.be/8gb8M2w8DzM

What do you think?

mtbr member
    Its cool, but weird angles and it looks like your drifting the bike. I'd just chest mount it for the stabilization.

Still testing this out.

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/485402/

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/485599/

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mcb99 View Post
    Apro tech CO. Ltd TaÔwan

Envoyť de mon E6633 en utilisant Tapatalk
    thanks for your reply.
    I googled the company but can't find much about its oem history.
    Could you share what you know about the company w.r.t its reputation and reliability of their products? I understand it's somewhat a vague question; what I am looking for is the back up for Canfield's marketing claim(?) of " Our factory produces some of the highest end frames on the market and are widely known for their quality." stated on post #27.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Why not just ask the forum which is full of owners about their experience with the frame? I beat the shit out of mine and have zero worries. Solid and amazing frame.

mtbr member
    Same here.....

mtbr member
    Beat mine like a government mule been flawless. A buddy of mine road his all over pisgah last fall. Road it all the way down black mountain and pilot rock with no problems. Iíve got 2 years on mine and itís been put through the ringer several times

Canfield Bros is a good small company who actively tries to take care of its customers. If you managed to bust a frame through no fault of your own, they'd take care of you.

If you broke a frame at Rampage, you can't expect any company to cover you (although they probably would due to the marketing).

mtbr member
    I had a Ď16 frame warrantied due to the B.B. shell debonding. The Bros. weíre awesome no questions asked gave me a new frame and B.B. as mine was stuck in the old frame. Iíve broken many SC frames and carbon cranks from debonding as well so itís not an uncommon problem with any carbon bike part.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'll add to my earlier "review." I'm beginning my fourth season on my EPO...the first two were spent amongst the endless rock gardens of Pennsylvania (look up Rocks Ridge trail in the Rattling Creek trail system or the look up the French Creek trail system), and I came away with no chips or damage of any kind.The third (and now fourth) season were spent on trails near my new home in Duvall, WA like Tokyo Drift in the Tokul trail system, and Predator and Joyride in the Tiger Mountain trail system. Drops, jumps, big rocks, rollers, and chunk. No cracks, no damage, and the bike keeps asking for more.

mtbr member
    Looks like cool trails in WA, my pal Cisco just moved up there and he gets great pics.
    And I think he's upgrading to a Jeffsy, so the EPO must take a beating!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    One of my favorite POV runs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOaO7ujNzdI

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    One of my favorite POV runs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOaO7ujNzdI
    NOTE: NOT me, not an EPO. Just a frame of reference for the trails I ride regularly on my EPO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    good to hear all the positive reviews by the owner of the frame.
    thank you all for providing your input.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Finally took a dose of EPO today after 6months, mmmm

But the game of making it even better is strong :/

Is anyone running the dpa 160/130 lyrik?
    Can it handle it?

I take it out on real big hitting root&rock gardens, and the lyrik on my other bike handles it sooo much better...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Fresh tracks in fresh dirt. Love this bike.

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-img_0106.jpgCanfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-utv42mfyrjuoqxlxwqekiq.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Sooo, is it just bad or is it badbadbad?

I plan to ride it this week & than do damage management next week, should i put some 3m foil over?
    The cs looks quite thick but a lot of stress goes trough them...

Any other good suggestions?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Probably fine. I'd just keep riding it and checking on it periodically. If you start to see cracks radiating out from the chip then you know it's trouble.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Cool, thx for the input.

I plan to see a 'carbondoctor' next week

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    What caused it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Dontknow, probably a rock, no extraordenary boings during last few rides, just noticed today after ride as i cleaned it...

mtbr member
    I'd try to seal it with super glue for the time being...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    What's the widest 29er tire that will fit in the rear with no rubbing on a internal width 30mm?

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TexM3 View Post
    What's the widest 29er tire that will fit in the rear with no rubbing on a IRD 30mm?

Thanks in advance
    I used to run a 2.4 dhr2 on the back of my epo till I wore it out. Never had any issues

mtbr member

Doing a face lift on the epo. Going 27.5+ 2.8 on her. New drive train old one is worn out. And another warranty brake lever from SRAM. Taking itdown to pisgah to do the oramm event at the end of July.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    What's the widest 29er tire that will fit in the rear with no rubbing on a internal width 30mm?

Thanks in advance
    I've got a Recon 29 x 2.6 fits fine but not a lot of clearance.

mtbr member

Thanks in advance
    Iíve also run a 2.4 DHR without problems. I recently mounted up a 2.5 Aggressor. Great tire, but I found noticeable rub marks after a couple rides.

-Chris

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The EPO proves to be a good mount for some good 'ol "BC XCM" racing. Pic taken post Vedder Mountain Classic on Saturday. I find when you get into the hardtail "zone" that I don't give up much time to the full-suspension bikes on the downs, but if the bike starts to ride you (vs. the other way around), you take a bit of a beating.

Loving the bike. Just feels like home for me.

Attachment 1197906

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm looking for a medium frame, preferably 2017, if anyone wants to part with one.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Anyone tried running a tensioner on the EPO for SS? Kinda itching to ride SS again these days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fontarin View Post
    Anyone tried running a tensioner on the EPO for SS? Kinda itching to ride SS again these days.
    I was going to but decided to build a nimble9 instead as my single speed.

mtbr member
    Polychrome Pass

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Epic secret tracks from last week in slo;

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    For those who tried a boost hub rear wheel on an epo, have you guys experienced any issues with the boost wheel on your epo? I am about to receive a new boost wheelset and plan to have them on my epo.

mtbr member
    May 2018

Joining the club!

Hey guys,

Finally finished my build! Took my EPO for its first run in Central Washington this weekend.

I paired the frame with a 130mm Reba, OneUp dropper, Haven wheelset, 1x10 XTR and some spare parts I had laying around. She's weighed in at 24.5lb. It was intended to be my 'small' bike for XC-type stuff, but it handled the steeps at Leavenworth really, really well... I'm already kinda attached to this thing!

Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-epo1.jpgCanfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-epo2.jpgCanfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-epo3.jpgCanfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-epo4.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetorange View Post
    For those who tried a boost hub rear wheel on an epo, have you guys experienced any issues with the boost wheel on your epo? I am about to receive a new boost wheelset and plan to have them on my epo.
    anyone runs a boost rear hub on an epo?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Xl epo

I could not pass on the sale.

2.5 WT aggressor on front
    2.35 ardent race on the back

31mm rims
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er-epoimg_1119.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Anyone have problems running 180mm rotor in the rear? My lbs is building up my epo with Paulís klampers and apparently itís not fitting

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hugo03 View Post
    Anyone have problems running 180mm rotor in the rear? My lbs is building up my epo with Paulís klampers and apparently itís not fitting
    Yeah, I couldn't fit a 180mm and had to stick with 160mm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hugo03 View Post
    I couldn't find a 180 brake adapter when I built mine. Just ran a 160.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    180 on the rear of mine, M8000 XT with the Shimano adapter.

mtbr member
    Put some nail polish on it. That will crack if there is any movement at all there. I dinged up the upper stay on mine really bad. I threw some polish on it to see if it was moving at all. It was good, so i threw a little epoxy on it and it's good to go. Well until it isnt....