Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    How is the spacing from arm to frame. Tight?

J:
    T-ho

Good job! Raw

What's the span on the new model shock hardware?

Largest/smallest compatible chainring?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post
    This thread has been a little slow, so let's spice it up a bit!

Attachment 1031417

The 2016 Canfield Brothers Balance - Launching December 7, 2015

Slacker, Lower, Faster, Stronger!
    Would be cool if there was a package available with the new RS Lyrik!
    Not really doing much Ridin' or Diggin'

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    anyone ever talked with canfield about getting a frame only package (no shock)

mtbr member
    I did that with my Riot. Just call or email them.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    I did that with my Riot. Just call or email them.

How much less was it without shock?

mtbr member
    My Riot was $1850 without the shock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kitejumping View Post
    Yes, it was my favorite bike there, one of the few at outerbike that had a coil in the back. I felt right at home on it, my main bike is a banshee darkside (26" setup with 16.5in chain stays / dvo jade coil), and the balance felt nice and nimble, like a shorter travel darkside, it likes to be in the air. This bike and the durango bike company moonshine were two of my favorites of the weekend, both had nice and short chainstays and were easy to throw around. They moved the shock mount to be directly driven by the rear triangle, similar to my ks link bike, which is a great move, should help with rear triangle stiffness too. The DVO Jade matches it perfectly, climbed great with a coil in the back. I rode this one right after demoing the DVO / Intense T275 (same front / rear DVO suspension) and I liked the balance more. I have never been on an old balance but I would pick this bike over the new 2016 knolly delirium I rode that weekend too, the balance seemed slightly more playful (although the delirium was setup with an air shock so that might skew my opinion).
    Hey, Kite. Thanks for the report! I presume that demo Balance was a size L. how tall are you? I'm wondering about fit with the new 2016 Balance geometry, as I'm planning to order one as soon as I can decide between L and XL (I'm 6'2").

mtbr member
    Just sharing some Balance love!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look-canfield-balance-2.png  

Last edited by jsalas2; 01-01-2016 at 05:07 PM.

mtbr member
    anyone running wide wheels on their balance? I am looking at getting a set of Ibis 741's or the 38mm from Light Bicycles

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by waveslayer View Post
    anyone running wide wheels on their balance? I am looking at getting a set of Ibis 741's or the 38mm from Light Bicycles
    My 2015 Balance was running Derby rims, which are similar to the Ibis rims, with 2.3 Maxxis Minion DHF's so you shouldn't have a problem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by waveslayer View Post
    i am running them. no problem

Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look-11742804_10153537006228035_1050229396006790854_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Last edited by jsalas2; 01-24-2016 at 07:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Not enough pictures of our old fashioned obsolete balances!
    After a brief plan of updating to the 2016 model, which is everything the 2015 should have been in my opinion, I shelved this after the UK price jumped by £300 overnight.
    So instead I've just fitted a work components 1 degree headset to mine & extended the metric fork from 160mm to 180mm. The x-fusion axle to crown was always 8mm lower than the reference pike anyway, so its only raised it by 12mm, plus the new 65degree headset has lowered it a bit again anyway.
    Have I ruined the ride? Hopefully not, but its too wet here go out currently to try it.
    Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look-img_20160124_122836.jpg
    Last edited by mcozzy29; 01-24-2016 at 10:47 AM.

mtbr member
    I'm with you mcozzy29,
    The 16 does feel like it has 30% more Canfield to it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalsoul View Post
    My 2015 Balance was running Derby rims, which are similar to the Ibis rims,
    Actually, they ARE Derby rims, rebranded for Ibis
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

mtbr member
    some "Balanced" air time in Israel!
    heck yeah!

Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look-vlcsnap-2015-12-12-13h46m20s528.jpg
    Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look-vlcsnap-2015-12-12-13h46m28s985.jpg
    Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look-vlcsnap-2015-12-12-13h46m36s277.jpg
    14' Canfield Jedi - The fast just got faster!
    15' Canfield Balance - The go to guy of the bike world!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

mtbr member
    D@mn it! Balance or Riot???!!!
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Riot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsalas2 View Post
    Riot
    why prefer riot over balance?
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    why prefer riot over balance?
    First, let me say any Canfield you get will be the best bike you've ever had. I had a hard time choosing between them both, and finally decided on the Riot. There is a review on the thread where they got to try both the Balance and the Riot at the bike park. The Riot was able to do everything the Balance did, of course the Balance did dh better. But the Riot was able to dh too and do everything else. With the Riot I am able to cover the whole spectrum of mountain biking from XC trails to the bike park. I do not have any bike park time on the Riot yet and am going by the reviews. but I can attest to everything else. I also like the ability to run 29, 27.5 and 27+ wheels and tires on the Riot. I have 27.5 wheelset and have tried 27.5 and 27+ tires. It's like having a shorter travel Balance. It's like getting three bikes for one. I can only afford one bike, so for me with the 27.5 and 29 option, I am able to have the best of both worlds, which is why I picked the Riot. Now if I could afford it, I would have every bike that they make.

mtbr member
    First, let me say any Canfield you get will be the best bike you've ever had. I had a hard time choosing between them both, and finally decided on the Riot. There is a review on the thread where they got to try both the Balance and the Riot at the bike park. The Riot was able to do everything the Balance did, of course the Balance did dh better. But the Riot was able to dh too and do everything else. With the Riot I am able to cover the whole spectrum of mountain biking from XC trails to the bike park. I do not have any bike park time on the Riot yet and am going by the reviews. but I can attest to everything else. I also like the ability to run 29, 27.5 and 27+ wheels and tires on the Riot. I have 27.5 wheelset and have tried 27.5 and 27+ tires. It's like having a shorter travel Balance. It's like getting three bikes for one. I can only afford one bike, so for me with the 27.5 and 29 option, I am able to have the best of both worlds, which is why I picked the Riot. Now if I could afford it, I would have every bike that they make.
    yes, the bro's frames rock and i totally agree that if $$$ weren't an issue both riot and balance should be owned!

interesting... why would you fit a 27.5 in a riot? how'd that look like? 27.5+ should look fine, but a 27.5... there's going to be 'a lot' of space in there.
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    the 27.5 is a big 2.5 WTB Breakout. It's a good size tire and doesn't look out of place at all. This is what some of the members are using on there 27.5 wide rims, I now have the 27.5 2.5 Breakout as a rear and the 27.5 WTB 3.0 Trail Boss in front. With this combo the Riot is a rock eating dirt spitting beast. There isn't a place it can't go. All the traction you could want. great for tight technical riding. And not slow either. When I want to go fast I put the 29er wheelset on with fast tires and fly.
    Last post about the Riot as this is a Balance thread. Can't go wrong with either one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look-canfield-riot-wtb.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    D@mn it! Balance or Riot???!!!
    My 2€.... if you want a very good pedalling bike that can shred any bike park and smash rocks all day then the Balance is your weapon.
    If you want something a little faster rolling but still capable of hitting the steep gnar but use for a all day xc ride.... then the Riot is your choice..... or you be like me and have 1of each for that choice of the day feeling!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roxtar View Post
    Actually, they ARE Derby rims, rebranded for Ibis
    Actually, Ibis rims are NOT rebranded Derbys.

as long as i know, they shared some development phases, but final products are different, no doubt on this.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Sent my CC DB air off for a service, no rebound damping and notchy travel in the 1st 10mm or so.
    Do they really have this many seals or have they send me the contents of their workshop bin back
    Feels so smooth now

Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look-img_20160218_130644.jpg
    Last edited by mcozzy29; 02-19-2016 at 09:16 AM.

squish, squish in da fish
    LOL that's a lot o' rubba

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    Actually, Ibis rims are NOT rebranded Derbys.

as long as i know, they shared some development phases, but final products are different, no doubt on this.
    I was told differently by someone at Ibis when they first came out.
    Perhaps that has changed.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

mtbr member
    To set the record straight...
    "In 2013 the first wide carbon fiber rims came out, called Derby Rims. Derby is our good friend and in fact Ibis liked his idea so much we funded half the original tooling expense of these rims. Having access to the Derby Rims proved invaluable in testing for our own concepts and designs. Derby’s rims are made in a different factory than ours, as we will be needing a much larger quantity than his source can provide.
    For now, we will only be selling complete wheels, so if you’re looking for rims only, we heartily endorse the product that Derby is selling. If you can get them that is, Derby Rims have been regularly selling out each production run."

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

SamIAm
    Quote Originally Posted by mcozzy29 View Post
    Not enough pictures of our old fashioned obsolete balances!
    The x-fusion axle to crown was always 8mm lower than the reference pike anyway, so its only raised it by 12mm, plus the new 65degree headset has lowered it a bit again anyway.
    Have I ruined the ride? Hopefully not, but its too wet here go out currently to try it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160124_122836.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	218.7 KB 
ID:	1045059
    i just got a 1014 balance and put a RS Yari 180 up front. i might lower it to 170 but its good to see someone else did this as well.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Cane creek coil shock, or any coil shock really. Anyone fitted one? If so how much do you weigh and what spring weight do you use?
    Have the option to buy one, never use the climb switch on my current DBA so I don't think not having one will be an issue.

mtbr member
    I have a mrp Raze on mine....550# spring... weigh 230.. feels awesome

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Cheers for the info! I'm 210, or will be shortly hopefully, so the 500lb spring it comes with sounds ideal. Worth spending another £40 for a ti spring over a steel one you recon?

mtbr member
    You could put Ti... if you want... But I would look into some of the new Super light Steel Springs that are out there now... probably half the cost but similar performance

mtbr member
    Cane creek coil shock, or any coil shock really. Anyone fitted one? If so how much do you weigh and what spring weight do you use?
    Have the option to buy one, never use the climb switch on my current DBA so I don't think not having one will be an issue.

I road Ryan's balance today in brown county indinana and I was blown away at how well the bike climbs with a coil. Bike just chewed everything up and only thing that held the bike back was me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Well after further research, mainly from here I decided with the progressive regressive nature of the 2015 models suspension design, a coil would not work well with the bike for big hits as it could potentially bottom too easily. The linkage is designed for the ramp up of the air spring in the last 35mm or so, which of course does not exist with a linear coil spring.
    The 2016 model looks much more suited.
    So Ive saved myself some cash & some messing around. It was just a whim really, there is nothing wrong with my dba, especially after the recent service.
    I still want a 2016 model though, if only they came in fire red

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Not sure of asking for comparisons randomly in the thread like this is uncouth, but here goes: I've decided on the latest Balance, Megatrail or Firebird to replace my mach6. Can anyone comment on performance or fit differences? Bike will be used for dh shuttling, park and everyday trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I'm going to pay for a megatrail demo next weekend in the SB/LA area. If anyone with a balance wants to make it a comparo hmu.

squish, squish in da fish
    anyone run 26+ on their balance, if so what tire/size and id of rim?

mtbr member
    Y U NO BUMP

mine at some rocky tech section

Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look-20161024_094916_richtone-hdr-medium-.jpg
    14' Canfield Jedi - The fast just got faster!
    15' Canfield Balance - The go to guy of the bike world!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Ha was this over a year ago?!
    Anyways its gone pop again, no rebound and thats after barely riding it due to injury. Fed up with cane creek. Not sure whether to get a fox x2 or a rockshox rc2 monarch.

Sent my CC DB air off for a service, no rebound damping and notchy travel in the 1st 10mm or so.
    Do they really have this many seals or have they send me the contents of their workshop bin back
    Feels so smooth now

Name:	IMG_20160218_130644.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	254.3 KB 
ID:	1051088

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Ha was this over a year ago?!
    Anyways its gone pop again, no rebound and thats after barely riding it due to injury. Fed up with cane creek. Not sure whether to get a fox x2 or a rockshox rc2 monarch.
    Get a coil? Less seals to blow up, all air shocks have problems eventually.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kitejumping View Post
    Get a coil? Less seals to blow up, all air shocks have problems eventually.
    Ive already gone through that thought process a while back when I had the chance to buy a cc coil. I dont think the leverage ration of the 2015 model is suitable for a coil, especially for heavyweights like me.
    Ive added a rockshox vivid into the mix now, so i think its between the fox x2 & the vivid. I dont wish to spend megabux on the push116 or whatever they are called.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ive already gone through that thought process a while back when I had the chance to buy a cc coil. I dont think the leverage ration of the 2015 model is suitable for a coil, especially for heavyweights like me.
    Ive added a rockshox vivid into the mix now, so i think its between the fox x2 & the vivid. I dont wish to spend megabux on the push116 or whatever they are called.
    I have the 16 Balance, but I can relate. I just popped my CCDBA for the second time in less than a year. First time it made it 600 miles. Only got 500 the next time. Needing two or possibly three rebuilds a year combined with the turn around time to get it rebuilt is too much downtime for me. Not to mention expensive. I'm jumping ship to something else. Not sure what yet. Short list is 2018 float x2, DHX2, or the vivid. Something I can get serviced locally.

Fox doesn't specify a longer service interval for the coil shock so I'm kind of leaning towards the X2 since I've been plenty happy with the performance of the CCDBA and I'm not sure the weight trade off is buying me enough performance increase. I'm also just concerned that the coil won't be progressive enough for the frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    600# coil for the jade if that works for your weight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jminus View Post
    I have the 16 Balance, but I can relate. I just popped my CCDBA for the second time in less than a year. First time it made it 600 miles. Only got 500 the next time. Needing two or possibly three rebuilds a year combined with the turn around time to get it rebuilt is too much downtime for me. Not to mention expensive. I'm jumping ship to something else. Not sure what yet. Short list is 2018 float x2, DHX2, or the vivid. Something I can get serviced locally.

Fox doesn't specify a longer service interval for the coil shock so I'm kind of leaning towards the X2 since I've been plenty happy with the performance of the CCDBA and I'm not sure the weight trade off is buying me enough performance increase. I'm also just concerned that the coil won't be progressive enough for the frame.
    The one I demoed at outerbike last year had a dvo jade coil and it felt really good. I've got a dhx2 coil with 2 position lever and ccdb il coil with climb switch and remote. I like the il coil better, weighs less and instead of just changing the dampening it adjusts the rebound too, and there is a remote. I don't own a balance though so can't comment on spring rates. The DHX2 has slightly less stiction if you don't care about the dedicated climb circuit on the ccdb, and they are both miles ahead of any air shocks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Went thru 4 cane creek shocks, I'm on a riot, was going to coil, but tried a Topaz first and am impressed, will be sticking with it and it's user serviceable. Just my 2 cents

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Went thru 4 cane creek shocks, I'm on a riot, was going to coil, but tried a Topaz first and am impressed, will be sticking with it and it's user serviceable. Just my 2 cents
    Well that's a direction I hadn't really considered going. Just read through the whole Topaz thread and it sounds promising. Hard to get over giving up the independent lsc/hsc/lsr/hsr adjustments though. You really think it out performs a correctly tuned CC shock?

It is almost 1/2 lb lighter as well. That would be a nice benefit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look-img_20170501_113209.jpg

Well I got the x2 at a cracking price! Anyone know the accurate bush sizes? Its about 22mm width with an 8mm bolt I think.

Canfield Brothers
    That's right, 22 x 8
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    FLEX!! This is getting to be a bugbear of mine.
    The last time I had notable flex in the rear triangle in relation to the frame it was cracked pivot brackets. They were changed for the braced ones & it seemed fine.
    I seem to have movement again and despite having just changed the bearings, it made no difference.
    I'm especially worried about it currently as ive just fitted a fox x2 and I dont want the lateral movement to ruin the new shock! Maybe thats why my ccdba kept packing up?

Is it just me? Anyone else notice movement it they slip a finger between the seat-tube & the black linkage and waggle the rear wheel from side to side?
    I cant find any cracks or damage that would cause this and to be honest dont even see how the braced pivots can even move from side to side.
    I really am on the verge of buying a spitfire or patrol to replace this bike

Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look-img_20170510_122533.jpg

mtbr member
    FLEX!! This is getting to be a bugbear of mine.
    The last time I had notable flex in the rear triangle in relation to the frame it was cracked pivot brackets. They were changed for the braced ones & it seemed fine.
    I seem to have movement again and despite having just changed the bearings, it made no difference.
    I'm especially worried about it currently as ive just fitted a fox x2 and I dont want the lateral movement to ruin the new shock! Maybe thats why my ccdba kept packing up?

Is it just me? Anyone else notice movement it they slip a finger between the seat-tube & the black linkage and waggle the rear wheel from side to side?
    I cant find any cracks or damage that would cause this and to be honest dont even see how the braced pivots can even move from side to side.
    I really am on the verge of buying a spitfire or patrol to replace this bike

Name:	IMG_20170510_122533.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	1136510
    Is the shock mounting hardware new? My Balance seems to chew up the mounting hardware on the shock, which causes flex like you are describing. It can be hard to tell that's where it's coming from, but I was able to diagnose it by putting another shock on and the problem went away. PUSH just keep giving me new mounting hardware a few times a year so not really a big deal, but it is getting annoying.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    It would appear im overthinking this. Every bike at the bikepark at the weekend who's owners didnt mind me wobbling had a little flex in the rear end, even super study dh bikes.
    Last edited by mcozzy29; 05-22-2017 at 01:46 AM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678