Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    I would assume its a threaded BB since there cranks are. And afaik every frame they have ever made has been a threaded bb. What is the advantage to a pressfit BB??
    They make a lot of annoying noises. Presumably some people enjoy the noise, which is why several manufacturers have been forcing pressfit BB's down everyone's throats.
    Blur LT & Highball

Canfield Brothers
    Whip Chop - 6'1" riders would normally be on a Large, but personal preference always come into play. Please check our geo chart and compare to other bikes that you have been happy with the fit. All of our bikes feature threaded BB's. We would recommend 170 cranks or shorter, depending on the area that you ride in.

I'm not 100% sure what our plans are for the summer yet besides hitting Whistler A LOT this summer.

Vin

mtbr member

Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look

Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    They make a lot of annoying noises. Presumably some people enjoy the noise, which is why several manufacturers have been forcing pressfit BB's down everyone's throats.
    Porch. My bad. I was being sarcastic. You are spot on. Pressfit is a joke. Only in the bike industry is new "innovation" driven by marketing department.

This statement is in no way directed at the bros. More towards trek. Spesh. Cannondale. Etc. etc.

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by formu1fan View Post
    What is the longest fork recommended in 25.7 mode? Will a 180 like the XF Metric work?
    The Balance was designed around a 160mm-170mm fork. Building it with forks out of this range will alter the BB and HA out of our targeted geo range.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The advantages of press fit are they are prone to creaking, require a new set of tools to install or remove, create a potentially wider area to weld to but is not utilized in that way. In regards to carbon fiber, you don't have to bond/glue threaded inserts to the carbon for threaded so easier to manufacture. Last one is legitimate benefit, I was sarcastic on first couple.

I am not a fan of press fit, I would even go so far as to say I would stay away from frames that are. There are so many good bikes out there now that there really is no need to compromise.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post
    Whip Chop - 6'1" riders would normally be on a Large, but personal preference always come into play. Please check our geo chart and compare to other bikes that you have been happy with the fit. All of our bikes feature threaded BB's. We would recommend 170 cranks or shorter, depending on the area that you ride in.

I'm not 100% sure what our plans are for the summer yet besides hitting Whistler A LOT this summer.

Vin
    Thanks Vince! I appreciate it.

In regards to the other poster's who've replied in regards to the BB: I was hoping it was threaded and not press-quit...as in, quit hoping it won't ever stop creaking!

mtbr member

Re: Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look

Im 6' (183cm) and realy leaning twards a Med size frame, compared to The-one sizing on the geo chart, The One felt abit too long for me while sitting and pedaling, even with a 35mm short stem.
    14' Canfield Jedi - The fast just got faster!
    15' Canfield Balance - The go to guy of the bike world!

Canfield Brothers
    I'm 6' and I'm on the sample medium. I really expected it to feel too small but is just perfect for me. I tend to like slightly smaller sizing though, I don't feel cramped at all on the medium. For reference, I have a 160 Pike, uncut SIXC 785mm bar and a 50mm stem.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the info. I to am 6' and wondering what your inseam is? My One is a large and feels a little on the big size, I also like smaller bikes iv'e learned. Any input on a 180/140 fork for the Balance?
    Thank you!

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    Prefer to keep fs frames a few years.. Plenty of featherweight options out there but I like durable bikes, threaded BB, replaceable bearings etc.
    me too, thats why the One was my dream bike. why has it been discontinued?
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

Canfield Brothers
    Confused - I have a 32" inseam. Your question about fork length, the head angle would be really slack with a 180mm fork and for me it would put it outside of the normal usable range. A 140 fork would put the BB really low, I recommend sticking to the 160-170mm to keep the geo in the ideal range.
    Dirtdawg - The One was one of my favorite all times as well, however the market is moving towards the more capable bike with a little less travel. The One was in the freeride / dh realm travel wise so that's how they got ridden. As a truly do it all bike (IE DH to Enduro) it was great, you could race it DH and then go for a pedal with your spandy friends. It was a bit heavy and a bit too much travel for most people though and 160mm bikes with the proper geo can be more versatile, granted just shy of a DH sled but better for all around.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike View Post
    I'm 6' and I'm on the sample medium. I really expected it to feel too small but is just perfect for me. I tend to like slightly smaller sizing though, I don't feel cramped at all on the medium. For reference, I have a 160 Pike, uncut SIXC 785mm bar and a 50mm stem.
    Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards a large as I prefer a longer top tube (will be running a 785 bar, 50mm stem). What is your take on the trend of many bikes running much longer top tubes/front centers?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema View Post
    The advantages of press fit are they are prone to creaking, require a new set of tools to install or remove, create a potentially wider area to weld to but is not utilized in that way. In regards to carbon fiber, you don't have to bond/glue threaded inserts to the carbon for threaded so easier to manufacture. Last one is legitimate benefit, I was sarcastic on first couple.

I am not a fan of press fit, I would even go so far as to say I would stay away from frames that are. There are so many good bikes out there now that there really is no need to compromise.
    That is the main reason I moved the Spec Enduro out of consideration (That, and it's a Specialized)
    As a current bike mechanic and a past machinist, press fit BB are the devil.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

mtbr member

Just one question for...

....those who have ridden the Balance,

Can we please get a ride report? It doesn't need to be detailed, just a little somthing
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I would like to here a ride report from S. Mtn. comparing it to the One. I ride there frequently and love the way the One performs going down but wish the up was a tad easier, will the Balance perform similar the the One going down?

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    ....those who have ridden the Balance,

Can we please get a ride report? It doesn't need to be detailed, just a little somthing
    MTBparks.com will be posting a review next Monday from Lorin Whitaker, who had a chance to race the Balance last month at Bootleg Canyon.
    Last edited by KillingtonVT; 03-08-2014 at 10:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks mate, looking forward to it!

mtbr member
    I believe this pic belongs in this thread.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look-2014-mob-n-mojave-super-d-lance-canfield-mtbparks-11nine-1-.jpg  

Two Wheeled Terror
    Man this looks like a great frame...I still love my current balance frame though. So stable at speed and soaks up the trail nicely. Great frame for everything including bike parks and built like a tank. Kinda heavy for steep climbing but I do not have light parts either. Great for heavy xc to am riding but I do not really do downhill so I will refrain from comment there. I ride big bear and project X in socal if that gives you an idea of how far I have pushed it. Most of my riding is am out by 29 palms in sugar sand.

stamped and snail mailed

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    hi
    a.on this summer i'll ride the balance after not having a canfield since 2008 (first jedi...)
    b. enduro in europe means that you go down on a dh tracks (alps style) and clime back(1500-2000 m) to your next stage on a time limit !!!for another dh track

c. today geometry works on longer top tube long front center long wheel base
    im 185 and today im ridind a 2014 mondraker large dune with 30mm stem thats 649 top tube
    1222 wb and 480 raech...

so looking at the geo size its have to be an xl ????
    ive compre it to others brands in large and ive wonder if i want a Relative long bike short stem longer wheel base to my personal preference xl is the answer??thats 627 top tube (like most large sizes ....)

but the 508 top tube makes me wonder???

help ?please.....

mtbr member
    It sounds like the is Dune is pretty long large... Considering that the XL Balance's WB is 1192, reach is 457 and ETT is 627mm's

I'm 189cm's / 6'2" with a 32" inseam. I'm currently riding a large Chlicotin w/50mm stem attached to a TT of 625mm/24.6" and ST of 483mm/19". This combo fits my longer torso and shortish inseam perfectly. If I was to order a Balance today it would be an XL, though I personally wouldn't use cranks any longer than the 165mm XO's I currently run. In a perfect world I'd like to have the Balance with ST length of 470mm/18.5" and the same ETT the Xl Balance.

How comfortable are you with the your Dune, is there anything you would change from the current sizing if you could?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    thanks for your answer!
    i was thinking the same (xl and l combo would be perfect....)
    funny before the dune i rode a knolly chilcotin...too
    any way i feel that 1222 wb might be too long and the dune can be lazy on tide turns...other wise it is realy a fast bike
    the suspention works perfect...
    how ever i feel that around 1190wb with 27.5 wheels will be perfect for most tracks
    and im looking for that "forward geo" becuse for me it is working...
    as a fact many brands adapt the geo consept (kona..orbea...and so)

so i dont mind having the xl but 507 st feels pain all reday ......
    what do thing just go for it and keep the dropper any how as low as possible?

thanks
    Tal

Canfield Brothers

MTBParks.com Balance Review

MTBparks.com just posted their killer review on our Balance.

Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look-canfield-brothers-balance-lorin-whitaker-bootleg-canyon.jpg

Iím the kind of guy who loves to be spontaneous and when Lance Canfield gave me a call one morning and asked if I wanted to ride his Canfield Brothersí Balance prototype in the Bootleg Canyon Banzai Enduro Race, you can imagine I was pretty stoked. The call came the day before the race, and I don't yet have a driver's license, so I talked my mom into a quick road trip to Boulder City to take advantage of this rad opportunity. - See more at MTBparks.com

squish, squish in da fish
    nice write up, just wish i could demo one here in MI

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    nice write up, just wish i could demo one here in MI
    Sounds like you need to take a trip to WA/BC this summer! HAHA.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast