Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    Just a heads up the shock weights 590grams.
    That's slightly higher than the 550g I was estimating. I adjusted my numbers and used that instead. Also added 0.5lb buffer on the frame weight.

Here is my full blown weight weenie spreadsheet that I do for all my builds. Feel free to poke holes in it...

Green highlight: manufacturer claimed weight
    Orange highlight: measured weight
    Black font: purchased
    Blue font: need to purchase

Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look-ss.jpg
    2014 Canfield Jedi - 2015 Canfield Balance - 2012 Canfield DJ

mtbr member

Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look

Maybe it is possible. Your xo crank came in at 514 with chainring?? That's 30g lighter than my xx1 crank with a wolftooth 32t.

I'm surprised.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    Maybe it is possible. Your xo crank came in at 514 with chainring?? That's 30g lighter than my xx1 crank with a wolftooth 32t.

I'm surprised.
    Don't have the chainring yet, but yes the 170mm X0 cranks w/o any spider, chainring, or bb came in at 465g.

Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look-img_20140331_172943.jpg

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbocharged View Post
    Don't have the chainring yet, but yes the 170mm X0 cranks w/o any spider, chainring, or bb came in at 465g.
    Pretty sure the XO, XX1, XO1 are all the same actual crank arms but with different Q options. I have (2) XX1 168/156 and (1) XO DH 168 and they are identical aside from the different wear, Qfactor and colors.

Rock on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbocharged View Post
    That's slightly higher than the 550g I was estimating. I adjusted my numbers and used that instead. Also added 0.5lb buffer on the frame weight.

Here is my full blown weight weenie spreadsheet that I do for all my builds. Feel free to poke holes in it...

Green highlight: manufacturer claimed weight
    Orange highlight: measured weight
    Black font: purchased
    Blue font: need to purchase

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	889406
    Are you have the Arch's custom built? If so If you'd be able to run a 9t Microdrive, you'd be able to pair it with the recon cassette, which is roughly 195g's. And if I remember correctly the Microdrive is 330ish, lighter than Hadleys and only slightly heavier than Hopes.

Was the frame weight confirmed?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    Are you have the Arch's custom built? If so If you'd be able to run a 9t Microdrive, you'd be able to pair it with the recon cassette, which is roughly 195g's. And if I remember correctly the Microdrive is 330ish, lighter than Hadleys and only slightly heavier than Hopes.

Was the frame weight confirmed?
    I've thought about building a custom wheelset with the 9-36 option, but for now was just designing the build off the stock Arch's. I was planning on upgrading the cassette with OneUp 40T and 16T cogs to get the extended range if I didn't do the 9-36 option.

And no, the frame weight is not confirmed. Just speculation based off previous comments and an added buffer.

mtbr member
    Its gonna be a killer build regardless! What size frame and link colors did you order?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    Its gonna be a killer build regardless! What size frame and link colors did you order?
    Thanks. Silver frame with black links. The entire build should be devoid of color for the most part.

mtbr member
    I'm second guessing my trip back home to AUS because I cant shake this frame from my head.

Family or frame first.....

mtbr member
    On the edge of pre ordering the frame. Which frame size should I get? I'm 5'7" tall. S or M?
    Let's ride...

Canfield Brothers
    For you guys counting grams:
    Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look-image.jpg

the refurbished one
    Why are you using a 200/57 shock an no 216/63 shock?

thanks in advance!
    Sokrates is dead, Galilei is dead, Newton is dead, Einstein is dead, Pantani is dead and i am feeling sick too.

Canfield Brothers
    It gives us the proper progression rate and gradient for the travel.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post
    For you guys counting grams:
    Thanks Vin.

As much as I hate the idea of counting grams, it is really nice knowing what to expect out of a new build.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

. .

More photos in the wild

..non weight weenie please!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Can you comment on how the bike handles jumps with 27.5" wheels? I live in texas and my "the one" is my bike of choice. I have a trek remedy 7 that gets ridden maybe twice a year because the one is such a great bike. Even at 38 lbs. I am decided that the balance will replace my bike because I like the idea of a higher bottom bracket and much less weight. However, there is a newish free ride park a couple hours from me that has some pretty awesome and steep jumps that the one handles great. Could I expect a similar behavior in the jumping category? I am set up with a fox float 160 fork and dhx rc4 shock. Any input is appreciated.

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    More photos in the wild
    A few good ones of Lance "product testing":
    Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look-imag1081_zoe017_1.jpg

Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look-video0158_0000003938_1.jpg

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by utsamtber View Post
    Can you comment on how the bike handles jumps with 27.5" wheels? I live in texas and my "the one" is my bike of choice. I have a trek remedy 7 that gets ridden maybe twice a year because the one is such a great bike. Even at 38 lbs. I am decided that the balance will replace my bike because I like the idea of a higher bottom bracket and much less weight. However, there is a newish free ride park a couple hours from me that has some pretty awesome and steep jumps that the one handles great. Could I expect a similar behavior in the jumping category? I am set up with a fox float 160 fork and dhx rc4 shock. Any input is appreciated.
    I find the Balance is easier to jump than The One with it's shorter chainstays, (3/4" shorter). This really helps with the playfulness of the bike and also brings it's geo inline with the rest of our bikes, (you know we are fans of shorter stays).

Lance has more testing on the Balance than any of us, he spent the winter in Bootleg hitting lines that most wouldn't hit with a DH bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    awesome to hear! I guess it will be my next bike after all!

N/A
    Feb 2004
    Too bad I missed when this bike was in AZ. Would have loved to see it in person. I'm in the market for a bike and keep coming back to this bike. Anyone able to compare it's pedaling efficiency to a Mach 6?

mtbr member
    This bike really has my attention. It has the geometry I want and a virtual pivot suspension design that tends to be fairly efficient. It has the right amount of travel I want. The only slight drawback I see right now is the 8lb frame and shock. I like the Nomad too but this has a bit shorter wheelbase and the price for the frame is a bit more attractive.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Any updates on shipping, still end of July?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    That's more travel than I really need, but I still might be all over this. Seems what was once considered a lot of travel is now a normal amount. Maybe if I go big, I will be future proofing a bike I plan on having for a long time. It all depends on how well it pedals.

Will it be good for rough stuff and long all day rides? The guys at Canfield seem to think so. If it is it looks amazing. The geometry is great.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Good to see it will take a nice drop like that

mtbr member
    Just a quick question and I'm not sure if this has been covered yet, but if I ordered the bike, is the full payment taken on ordering or once it's ready to ship?

mtbr member

Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look

Thanks for the heads up... Geo charts are updated.

Fern green is similar to DVO green. Crampon Classics are currently available in Fern, Ultimates will be available by summer. Clamps, we will continue to have Black, Silver, Blue and Red.

Cheers!
    Thanks for making awesome frames for shorter riders. When my Misfit frame is done I'll be replacing it with a Canfield. I talked my normal sized friend into ordering a Yelli, I think I'm more excited than he is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

Canfield Brothers
    I just finished build my Small Balance, done out in "park mode".
    Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look-img_3427.jpg

Small Brushed
    26" Canfield Wheels
    170mm RS Lyrik DH
    Race Face Cockpit
    XO Trail Brakes
    XO RD
    X9 Shifter
    Thomson Post
    Minion F EXO/HR 2 set up "Ghetto"
    Canfield Cranks
    MRP AMG Guide
    Time MX6 Pedals

My build w/o pedals came in at 30.8lbs with stout parts and 4 piston brakes. Sub 30 lb builds will be pretty easy. With my "park" set up, my HA is a touch over 65.5. Most 27.5/160mm Pike builds will be between 66 and 66.5, depending on parts spec.
    Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look-photo-1.jpg

We have had a TON of questions comparing the Balance to the One. For a 160mm bike, the travel feels deep. Not as deep as the One in 8", but deep. The biggest difference in personality between the two bikes is how playful the Balance is. The 16.7 stays, really helps the bike come to life. I find it snappier in the turns and WAY easier to manual, (not that I can actually manual, HAHA!). Pedaling is flat out INSANE! If you've ridden The ONE, then you know the "magic dust" Lance and Chris sprinkle onto our suspension. The new CBF platform, disconnects pedaling and suspension forces even more, giving you a very silent drivetrain, while the rear is eating stuff up.

Here's a quick shot from this AM's pre work ride, we'll get a few bangers later this week to share:
    Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look-photo-2.jpg

Lastly, I wanted to post this image showing the correct connecting tube. (Our proto had an incorrect flat tube)
    Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look-img_3430.jpg

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Your killing me! Any good news to share, like the frames are ahead of schedule or anything, maybe, possibly?

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by confused View Post
    Your killing me! Any good news to share, like the frames are ahead of schedule or anything, maybe, possibly?
    I thought I WAS sharing good news! HAHAHA. Productions don't really finish early, however, we are looking good to be hitting our "shipping end of July" timeframe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'm still trying to figure out if this bike is a viable option for me. What about when you're not riding chunk? Would this bike be good for all day rides? what about tamer trails? Is it a one bike do it all machine? Or is it more for hitting gnarly stuff?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    also gold links would have been cool

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out if this bike is a viable option for me. What about when you're not riding chunk? Would this bike be good for all day rides? what about tamer trails? Is it a one bike do it all machine? Or is it more for hitting gnarly stuff?
    While we focus our efforts on showing the Balance's capabilities on rougher stuff, the reality is we live in the PNW. Truth be told it's pretty damn smooth out here, (I grew up on the super rocky East Coast to put things in perspective). The pedaling aspects of our CBF suspension really allow it to shine on smooth trails. As my first post in thread reads, "Go any where, do ANYTHING". That was our goal with this bike.

Hope that helps!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Your still Killing me, tell those workers there's an extra hundy in it if they get my frame by July 1! HAHA

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Your bike does look good though!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Are you guys thinking about trying out the DB Inline on the Balance frame? I hope so. It could bring the cost down a bit further and its all the travel I need. Could be even more of an amazing deal!

Canfield Brothers
    Are you guys thinking about trying out the DB Inline on the Balance frame? I hope so. It could bring the cost down a bit further and its all the travel I need. Could be even more of an amazing deal!
    We will be testing the Inline over the next month and are currently reserving thoughts until we test on our platform. Difference in weight between the CS and the Inline is 180g.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to the results.

In the meantime feel free to do as many posts as you want with more pics The big post earlier was awesome!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I thought I WAS sharing good news! HAHAHA. Productions don't really finish early, however, we are looking good to be hitting our "shipping end of July" timeframe.
    These look beautiful Vin!

I LOVE my ONE, best bike I've ever ridden... I have been on several 4+ hour rides on it and also use it at the local gnar shuttle spots over the winter.

Prying my ONE from me may be quite the task, I dunno if this new balance is up to it... One thing I really love is how quick and snappy-responsive it is in turns and how easy it is to put it where I want it. You're saying this new balance is even snappier? Even on a 650b platform, or just with your 26" park setup? I am very eager to try something in the 650b arena, and I'm positive this would be one of the better offerings. It's not easy to even think of selling my ONE at this point though...

Canfield Brothers
    I've been riding the Balance ALLOT for the last 8ish months. I've had is setup in every configuration that I think people want to run. 26 and 27.5 wheels. Started with a 2X, worked like you would expect but quickly changed out to a 1X with a 30T ring for better chain retention. Ideal rings are from 28-32 tooth with larger rings giving the bike a softer more DH oriented feel. The reason I mention this is that it directly relates to how the bike feels, like on every bike. This bike is by far the easiest to setup correctly because of the CBF patent pending design. Smaller rings for more pedaling and bigger rings for more DH oriented riding.

TheRage43- The Balance is quicker turning than the One. The CS is much shorter so it's easier to "snap" the rear wheel into the right spot in the turn. It also contributes to the "pop" feel off the lip of jumps. The Balance LOVES to jump and turn.

Wheel size effects a few things, how quick it feels from side to side, smoothness over bumps and overall geometry of the bike. If you run 26" wheels, you should run a taller fork, something in the 170 range for a Park feel and with 27.5 wheels, a 160 fork for a Enduro feel. This also makes the BB height almost identical but head angle slacks out with the taller fork and small wheels.
    www.mtbparks.com

mtbr member
    Awesome info about chainring size. I was seriously about to email Sean and ask him this very question. 30T it is for my build (27.5 1x10) .

Canfield Brothers
    That's perfect, it's what I run.
    www.mtbparks.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    If the Balance becomes my next bike it will also be 1x10 and 27.5. I didn't know what size ring to have in the front, so this is helpful.

I hope they get the reviews out on this as early as possible. I mean I hope they hit before the frames are shipped. I am torn between a Balance, Warden, and Spitfire right now. And I have a couple great offers on the others, but I don't want to miss out on this great bike if it turns out amazing. Hope we get some impressions soon.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    how do u compare the climbing ability with 170mm fork + 26 wheels to 160mm fork + 650b wheels ?

mtbr member
    If the Balance becomes my next bike it will also be 1x10 and 27.5. I didn't know what size ring to have in the front, so this is helpful.

I hope they get the reviews out on this as early as possible. I mean I hope they hit before the frames are shipped. I am torn between a Balance, Warden, and Spitfire right now. And I have a couple great offers on the others, but I don't want to miss out on this great bike if it turns out amazing. Hope we get some impressions soon.
    I was in the same boat only already had a Rune V2. I ended up going with the Warden but I would take the Balance over the KS mini link.

Stoked on getting my Warden but the Balance is one bad ass bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I want to get crazy and put the Metric on it with 650b wheels...

This fork is 20mm longer than the pike though, A2C. For me.. I like slacker, and higher BB at the same time. This longer fork would do both of those, but would it mess up the GEO at all? What's your thoughts, Lance?

Canfield Brothers
    Chris is over in France for a demo with our distributors. Looks like he is having a blast on his new Ano Black Balance! We'll have this frame over here next week for our demo next weekend at Duthie Hill in Issaquah WA.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    He guy's,

Been watching this thread for a bit. I've always been curious about Canfield frames and this new Balance put me over the top. I just ordered a small and cannot wait till the end of July to come!

I also was debating between a Warden and Balance. And since demos on the east coast for either frame are impossible, both bikes are a leap of faith. I'm sure you can't go wrong either way.

The deciding factors for me were;

The awesome deal the balance is...especially with the Pike package. (The Warden is almost that expensive without a fork).

The customer service from Vin was amazing. Not so, with the online Knolly distributor I was talking to. (nothing against Knolly, I'm sure they're a great company)

The overall badassnes of the Balance. It's just a killer looking bike.

The ability to use the balance as a park bike for the few times a year I hit some DH.

Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I can also vouch for the customer service. I had a great talk with Sean one day about the Balance.

The Balance is for sure a great deal, there is no question about that. I have found a Warden for an amazing deal too. Its almost too good to be true. I'm really hoping the testing on the DBInline goes well and they offer an option with it. It costs less then the DBAir and hopefully that will reflect in the cost of the frame. I'm not being cheap, I just can't afford today's bike prices, so I am trying to get in at a low price where I can buy one.

Can't wait to see more pics of the black version!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	1053 
Size:	206.4 KB 
ID:	897593
    = ayessir

Front tire almost looks bigger than a magic mary

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Yes more pics of the black ano please!!!!

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast