Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So I have a Pike on order but i'm second guessing myself on the new Fox Metric 170. It looks like the A2C length of the 170 Fox is only 9mm longer than the Pike, if you ran a internal headset im guessing the head angle would be about the same as the Pike with a external headset. Any thoughts?

Go for the throat
    If it's a tapered steerer tube I don't think you can run an internal headset.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    You can run an Inset headset which only sticks out a few mm's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by confused View Post
    You can run an Inset headset which only sticks out a few mm's
    The headtube is 49mm at the bottom so you have to run an external cup with a tapered steerer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Still no official word if the bikes shipped yet? The suspense is killing me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by F.I.T.nj View Post
    There was a date up above. I think it said they land late this month.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Hey All. I'm currently considering : Knolly Warden, Gorilla Gravity Megatrail, or a Knolly Chilcotin. This Balance looks pretty stout, and I like the look of the rear triangle, which looks very stiff and nicely done. How similar will this bike 'feel' to a Warden, I know it's pure speculation at this point, but I'm kind of holding off on the Knolly or Megatrail for this bike. The problem is, it keeps getting pushed back, and I'd kinda like to get a few rides in before it starts snowing again where I live. Truthfully, I've been diggin the Megatrail. It's over-built, simple, adjustable, and supposedly climbs well, and, it is 'actually' made in USA; [not a 'deciding' factor for me, but I like this and don't mind supporting]. I already know I can't go wrong with the Knolly, but it's also more expensive. @ $2,100 w/CCDBA it's certainly a deal IF it musters up to the Knolly..? I've never owned a Canfield, but My Knolly was super stout. Should I wait for this bike ? I currently have no bike. I sold My first gen. Knolly Delirium.

mtbr member
    I also had a Delirium, second gen and now have a Warden. I was in the same boat as you and ultimately went with the super active Knolly design and couldn't be more happy. Comparing it to the Delirium there is much crossover in the freeride capabilities with the Warden, it flat out handles everything you throw at it and is the best steep/tech climber there is. The Warden is also a flowy trail rocket and I would have no problem on a 4+ hour ride.

I am still excited about the Balance release and cant wait to see builds start rolling out. I would love to get a demo on one some day, great looking bikes!

mtbr member

Climbing comment.

Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    I also had a Delirium, second gen and now have a Warden. I was in the same boat as you and ultimately went with the super active Knolly design and couldn't be more happy. Comparing it to the Delirium there is much crossover in the freeride capabilities with the Warden, it flat out handles everything you throw at it and is the best steep/tech climber there is. The Warden is also a flowy trail rocket and I would have no problem on a 4+ hour ride.

I am still excited about the Balance release and cant wait to see builds start rolling out. I would love to get a demo on one some day, great looking bikes!
    That's what I was hoping to hear about the climbing. I like to see it when lots of people agree on a bikes characteristics. I'm hoping for a bit more agility on technical climbing. I don't care about fire road climbs, even long ones don't bother me on a heavy bike, as long is the front end stays planted. I like climbing up stuff just as much as everything else about this sport.

What front fork and travel are you using ? My rides average 3 to 9 hours in length. But I like a burly bike, and I sometimes go to parks, but not often due to expense of getting there. Looking for 'one' bike. Sounds like the Warden might be for me 'the one'.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Love the Balance and can't wait to upgrade from my SC Bronson.

On a related note, I'd like to know how you guys are running your 160mm RS Pike on the Balance for technical freeride and DH riding. I'm still trying to dial in a balance between low and high speed performance and bottom out resistance. My current settings.

Weight: 205 geared up
    Bottomless Tokens: 1
    Air Pressure: 78psi
    Sag: ~22-25%
    Low Speed Compression: 8 clicks (for g-out support)
    Rebound: 6-8 clicks from full fast (for control after larger drops)

Any thoughts or suggestion? I did try 2 bottomless tokens and really disliked the way it felt in high speed chunk. I'm considering trying it again and reducing the pressure, however I'm not sure it will get me to a "set it and forget it" setup.

Any lessons learned would be appreciated.
    Last edited by INCONEL; 07-14-2014 at 08:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by F.I.T.nj View Post
    I apologize for not posting any updates over the past week. Chris has been working hard at our factory pushing production as hard as possible and I have been waiting for an update from him. Frames are now out of heat treat and were sent off to finishing last night. It's a week in finishing, then one more week for assembly and packaging. We have been promised the frames will be on the boat on the 23rd, putting the shipment here around 8/15. We are super bummed production has taken way longer than projected, unfortunately, we are at the mercy of the factory.

Thank you SO much for hanging in there everyone!

Cheers,

Vin
    Last edited by KillingtonVT; 07-09-2014 at 01:25 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Skrool,I would wait for the balance.I can say that the Bros have there geo dialed and the build quality of there frames is excellent!There customer service is second to none on top of it all!
    I enjoy the fact that when you call them they are just fun!Sean is awesome!I have talked with Chris on the phone and Vin when he heard me asking Sean some questions got on the phone with me.They are riders and enthusiasts and that goes a long way for me!YMMV

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mxer View Post
    Skrool,I would wait for the balance.I can say that the Bros have there geo dialed and the build quality of there frames is excellent!There customer service is second to none on top of it all!
    I enjoy the fact that when you call them they are just fun!Sean is awesome!I have talked with Chris on the phone and Vin when he heard me asking Sean some questions got on the phone with me.They are riders and enthusiasts and that goes a long way for me!YMMV
    Thanx for the input Mxer. I'm doing my best to 'wait' and see. If I end up waiting it out, I'll likely miss out on riding much this season. ...And I've already sold my 1st gen Knolly Delirium, which I rode 6 years. A bit too heavy for me, and a bit 'too much' bike for me...But I loved it anyway.

At this exact moment, I'm heavily considering going with a Knolly Warden. I'm still also considering the Megatrail too. In truth, I've never had such a hard time making a decision on what bike to buy. I already KNOW the Knolly 'feel' and build quality. But I have to admit, the 'Balance' has got me interested enough to keep waiting...and waiting... I've been told by the Canfield that IF I order one now, It'd be in sometime late August. But they've already had to push it back a few times now, and who knows when I might actually get a hold of one for real...??? The Warden is good to go right now, no wait. Megatrail = one month wait. But maybe I'll wait.

squish, squish in da fish
    Patience is a virtue, wait it out. I used to be super impatient on everything in life. then one day while doing some indoor gardening it hit me

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Skrool,I feel your pain with no bike.I always have managed to keep a beater around for these situations.Hell I have gone 3 years figuring out what I want while riding the beater.LOL I hope you can hold on to at least test ride the Balance.I feel it would be worth it.Hang in there!

mtbr member
    Would putting a 180mm Metric on the front of this mess up the geo too much? Looking to build up a park bike that can still do some climbing and the top contenders are this, the banshee darkside, and the new nomad c. If the one was still made from what I have read about it that would have been perfect but they seem to be impossible to find. Has anyone compared the climbing ability of the one or balance vs the new banshee rune? I'd imagine that would climb similar to the new darkside. It sounds like this would beat the old nomad for climbing but with the new one being all carbon and really lightweight not sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kitejumping View Post
    Would putting a 180mm Metric on the front of this mess up the geo too much? Looking to build up a park bike that can still do some climbing and the top contenders are this, the banshee darkside, and the new nomad c. If the one was still made from what I have read about it that would have been perfect but they seem to be impossible to find. Has anyone compared the climbing ability of the one or balance vs the new banshee rune? I'd imagine that would climb similar to the new darkside. It sounds like this would beat the old nomad for climbing but with the new one being all carbon and really lightweight not sure.
    They've already said in this thread that the metric (A2C@ 565mm) is too long and not right for the bike.

As for the ONE, you can have mine when I die, and the 4 other friends of mine begging me for it pry it from my corpse and all have their day with it...

The Rune and Nomad3 are both the same as the balance, as in, they are specc'ed around a 545-550 A2C fork. Putting the Metric on would slack it out, raise the BB, and possibly cause issues in the headset. Only one on your list that would happily accept the Metric is the Darkside, although the Geo and weight would put it in the DH/FR category. No idea how it would pedal. I have spoken with a few Rune owners and 2 Nomad3 owners and all praise their bike very highly.

If I do end up building this new Balance I'm putting a Marz 350 CR on it...

mtbr member
    Would putting a 180mm Metric on the front of this mess up the geo too much?
    You should be able to change the travel to 160 mm, no?
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.
    Current HTFU status: 4/10; increasing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    They've already said in this thread that the metric (A2C@ 565mm) is too long and not right for the bike.

As for the ONE, you can have mine when I die, and the 4 other friends of mine begging me for it pry it from my corpse and all have their day with it...

The Rune and Nomad3 are both the same as the balance, as in, they are specc'ed around a 545-550 A2C fork. Putting the Metric on would slack it out, raise the BB, and possibly cause issues in the headset. Only one on your list that would happily accept the Metric is the Darkside, although the Geo and weight would put it in the DH/FR category. No idea how it would pedal. I have spoken with a few Rune owners and 2 Nomad3 owners and all praise their bike very highly.

If I do end up building this new Balance I'm putting a Marz 350 CR on it...
    If I am doing this right seems 545 vs 565 a2c would only raise the bb 6.7mm and slacken the head angle less than 1 degree?

geometryCalc

The next bike I build up is going to be mostly intended for some all mountain / freeride / lift access park duties so I kind of want as much travel as I can get in a single crown fork on the front. Do you think running a 565 a2c would mess up anything structurally with this setup or would it just ride worse (in which case I could always lower the fork)? Typically I have more fun riding bikes with a slacker ht angle. I'll be riding in CO all next week checking out the freeride festival for the first time so hopefully I can find somewhere to demo a banshee or santa cruz to see how the ks link compares to vpp. It would be cool to see someone with the one out there too as I've never actually seen a longer travel canfield frame in person.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Yep - lowered to 160mm is just fine! It's what I'll be running - more hardcore than the now famous pike and less/imho better than the new 36. The 350/mattoc get a look in, but still ranging on the AM side, while I reckon a bike this big and bad needs to be built strong

mtbr member
    The next bike I build up is going to be mostly intended for some all mountain / freeride / lift access park duties so I kind of want as much travel as I can get in a single crown fork on the front.
    You're definitely looking for a Canfield The One!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    How does it look for the frames to ship this week Vin?

Go for the throat
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post
    ...We have been promised the frames will be on the boat on the 23rd, putting the shipment here around 8/15.

Vin
    Did they keep their promise? Just out of curiosity, once the frames arrive at Canfield HQ, how long until they reach the east coast?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    wondering same. they shipped from tw yet?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    You're killing us - any word yet? Also, what shipping time you guys got for UK orders? (The week or two everyone US side gets them and I'm still waiting is gonna be rough.)

mtbr member
    I'm also excited to see when they might be here. Sean? Vin?

That being said, you have to give the companies a break as it's very difficult to predict when production will happen. They are very cool for telling us a date, IMO when that could very well change for a variety of reasons.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    For those that are 5'11/6 ft or close, are you going with a medium or large frame? The reach on the medium Balance frame looks similar to the Mach 5.7 I am riding now, which I am happy with.

Go for the throat
    I'd probably go with a large if I were you. I'm a little over 6' and was considering and XL but decided to go with a large.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    ^I'm the same as JD. What swung it for me though was being able to have a 125mm dropper on a large and not being able to on a XL so it depends where you're height is. For reference I'm 6'1 with only a 32' instream.

gticlay - nobodys dissing the CanfieldBro's - we all just want to know if the factory pulled through or not

mtbr member
    Hey everybody.
    I have to say, it's been a rough couple of months.
    I'm in Japan flying home finally. What once was a two week trip to the factory turned into 2.5 months. Hang up's in other customers productions in front of us and a couple of weeks to get the anodizing just right, brings us to here.
    We have been stressing in the office a lot over this and how it delays our customers riding. Which we hold in the highest regard.
    But, frames are assembling now. I spent the last few days at the factory overseeing the first few frames go together. Even pressing bearings to make sure the bearing press fit was tight. Frames should be on a boat on friday. Which means roughly 3 weeks on the water.
    International orders should be seeing frames in the mail next week or the following.

As big as a delay this was and as late in the season we are now, I'm stoked to have so much support from our fans. I expected much more cancellations, but so for only a couple. (no worries,
    I guess what I'm try to say is thanks for the support.
    I think I speak for all of us a CB. This isn't just a job or a bike. It's personal. Our bikes are Family. They have our name on them.
    We always want to have productions done in the early winter months, but sometimes they are born when they are. So thanks for believing in us, for riding downhill as hard as you can, and riding our bikes that make it the most fun.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update Chris... as they say.. good things come to those that wait! gives me more time to pick up the last few parts..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared View Post
    Hey everybody.
    I have to say, it's been a rough couple of months.
    I'm in Japan flying home finally. What once was a two week trip to the factory turned into 2.5 months. Hang up's in other customers productions in front of us and a couple of weeks to get the anodizing just right, brings us to here.
    We have been stressing in the office a lot over this and how it delays our customers riding. Which we hold in the highest regard.
    But, frames are assembling now. I spent the last few days at the factory overseeing the first few frames go together. Even pressing bearings to make sure the bearing press fit was tight. Frames should be on a boat on friday. Which means roughly 3 weeks on the water.
    International orders should be seeing frames in the mail next week or the following.

As big as a delay this was and as late in the season we are now, I'm stoked to have so much support from our fans. I expected much more cancellations, but so for only a couple. (no worries,
    I guess what I'm try to say is thanks for the support.
    I think I speak for all of us a CB. This isn't just a job or a bike. It's personal. Our bikes are Family. They have our name on them.
    We always want to have productions done in the early winter months, but sometimes they are born when they are. So thanks for believing in us, for riding downhill as hard as you can, and riding our bikes that make it the most fun.
    Chris sent me this pic last week and I have been waiting for the right time to share:
    Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look-chris-pressing-bearings.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    woo orange link looking goooood. cant wait for my

mtbr member
    Chris sent me this pic last week and I have been waiting for the right time to share:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chris pressing bearings.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	913477
    Nice! Taiwan must go through a lot of green paint. EVERY machine is green. I want the green links on a brushed frame.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update Chris. Sean knows I've been itching to get mine for quite a while now, so it's great to hear that they will finally be on the water this week. I can guarantee my first ride on the new bike will be within 24 hours of receiving the frame. Can't wait!!

M-P
    2014 Canfield Jedi - 2015 Canfield Balance - 2012 Canfield DJ

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    So happy to hear they're on the boat this week!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Awesome news! R.e. international orders, is that a week after the boat has arrived or a week from now they'll be sent direct from the factory via post?

And to check something - your rear post I guess thats for 160mm?

Very, very stoked!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Been traveling for work - delay is PERFECT! Would have just had to stare at it! Can't wait to buy purple bits for the black beauty!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thegnarlycenturion View Post
    Awesome news! R.e. international orders, is that a week after the boat has arrived or a week from now they'll be sent direct from the factory via post?

And to check something - your rear post I guess thats for 160mm?

Very, very stoked!
    International distributor orders have either left the factory or will be leaving the beginning of the week. International orders placed through our US office will ship once our boat shipment arrives.

All of our post mounts are 160mm.

mtbr member
    Sweet!
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    2 more weeks to go~

mtbr member
    I spent the day yesterday shooting my 26" park version of our Balance.

Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look-balance-shoot.jpg

We have quite a few customers stoked to be able to move all the parts over from their current The One build and upgrade to our new, more nimble and stiffer chassis. Setting up the Balance this way allows for aggressive, park style geo to give you extra confidence when things get rowdy. (65.5 HA and a 13.25 BB)

I've been riding mine up at Whistler over past few weeks, having fun trying to ride all my lines that I rip on my Jedi. It's pretty mind blowing how well the Balance does on my favorite O-Sin, Goat's, Captain Safety, In Deep to D1 lap! While I'm not stomping any of the extra credit lines I normally hit, the Balance has given me more confidence than I expected out of a 160mm travel bike.

The flip side of the Balance for me has been having a bike that I enjoy pedaling again. I have recently taken a few rad trips to "The Shore" for all day pedal and rip fiestas. (Which is slightly out of character for me as I am primarily a DH style lift/shuttle rider).

Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look-fromme.jpg

I'm really excited that our fans and riders get to experience similar things on our new bike in just a few weeks!
    Last edited by KillingtonVT; 08-19-2014 at 01:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hey Lance, I think you have had time on both a medium and large frame. Im just wondering which you prefer, I have the same measurements as you. I know early on you were riding the medium and liked it but wondering if you like the large any better? Large better on longer rides maybe?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Vin, now that you have time pedaling with a 170 fork do you think the 160 would hold you back at all? Do you still think the 160 fork is best for 27.5 wheels? I will be running 27.5 but havent had a fork under 180mm in years, just worried that 160 wont be enough. Im not a hucker and ride mostly AM (very rough AM) but still AM, hopefully it will be fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by confused View Post
    Vin, now that you have time pedaling with a 170 fork do you think the 160 would hold you back at all? Do you still think the 160 fork is best for 27.5 wheels? I will be running 27.5 but havent had a fork under 180mm in years, just worried that 160 wont be enough. Im not a hucker and ride mostly AM (very rough AM) but still AM, hopefully it will be fine.
    It's not so much the travel, it's getting the geo in correct range. The issue with the few 170mm 27.5 forks we have seen on the market is you are going to raise the BB at the cost of the additional travel. In the case of running 26's, the 170mm Lyrik aids geo by bringing the BB up to 13.25". Running a 26" 160mm would put the BB lower than desired.

As far as "out riding" a 160mm fork, we will be releasing our Balance promo edit in a couple of weeks. I can tell you first hand from watching this getting filmed in person... The Pike 160mm is MORE than capable.

Hope that helps!

PUJ
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    The website says black links are only available with the red frame. Why? I like the brushed frame with black links!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PUJ View Post
    The website says black links are only available with the red frame. Why? I like the brushed frame with black links!!
    Good catch! We are going to have a limited amount of LE Red frames available. They'll have Black graphics and Black links. I'll post pics as soon as we have them in the office.

We are currently sold out of Black links for the Ano Black and Brushed frames. However, all other link options are available. We may have a few more coming in on our second shipment in October.

Cheers!

mtbr member

Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look

Tell us more about this limited edition red frame?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Pictures of the LE Red frame ASAP please!

Is it a PC or an ano red? ano would be really nice.

Does your webshop show the actual availabiliti? (i.e. if an option is shown than it's available to order and viceversa?)

mtbr member
    We have quite a few customers stoked to be able to move all the parts over from their current The One build and upgrade to our new, more nimble and stiffer chassis.
    I wasn't assuming the Balance to be a stiffer chassis than the One, care to add something on this regard?
    Thanks

mtbr member

And these LE Red are landing in October or in a few weeks??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    Pictures of the LE Red frame ASAP please!

Is it a PC or an ano red? ano would be really nice.

Does your webshop show the actual availabiliti? (i.e. if an option is shown than it's available to order and viceversa?)
    The LE Red Balance has a PC finish. We used a brighter Orange-Red that should be a loud alternative to our Ano and Bushed finishes. Less than 20 of these were made. Once I have them in my hands, I'll shoot and post pics.

The website shows up to the date availability as it's updated with every sale.

Canfield Brothers
    I have time on both and at 6' tall I prefer the large. The medium is just a touch small for long rides and the bars are a bit lower. A medium is great for a play bike, hitting jumps and what not. However my back is happier with a large.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    And these LE Red are landing in October or in a few weeks??

The LE Red Smalls, Mediums and Xl's are on our first boat. We will have a couple of LE Red Larges on the 2nd boat in October.
    Last edited by KillingtonVT; 08-20-2014 at 10:30 AM.

mtbr member

Smalls, Mediums and Xl's are on our first boat. We will have a couple of larges on the 2nd boat in October.
    Dammit! I'm trying to recover from my N9 build!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Nooooo tell me it isnt so, i need a large, iv'e been bikeless for 3 months waiting for this thing. lol

mtbr member
    I think Vin is referring to the LE Red larges.... or at least that's what I hope...lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rsullivan View Post
    I think Vin is referring to the LE Red larges.... or at least that's what I hope...lol
    Ryan - Yes, I was referring to the LE Red's... I updated my previous post to be more clear.

mtbr member
    lol..... thanks Vin..had me worried for a micro - second! !!! Got all my parts ready and waiting a pile. ....

mtbr member
    The LE Red Smalls, Mediums and Xl's are on our first boat. We will have a couple of LE Red Larges on the 2nd boat in October.
    I'd be happy to see a picture of an XL in LE red once you have them, I've just found a buyer for my frame and I may pull the trigger on it!

mtbr member
    Hi Vin,

Just so i'm clear from what i read on the site, the "park" version of the Balance is with a 26" wheel setup? In the 26" configuration, will it pedal just fine for trail riding, or is it really best with 27.5" wheels for climbing and such? if i go for a Balance, i'd be transferring my One parts over which is 26". Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kameraguy View Post
    Hi Vin,

Just so i'm clear from what i read on the site, the "park" version of the Balance is with a 26" wheel setup? In the 26" configuration, will it pedal just fine for trail riding, or is it really best with 27.5" wheels for climbing and such? if i go for a Balance, i'd be transferring my One parts over which is 26". Thanks!
    Customers such as yourself are EXACTLY the reason why we designed the Balance to accept both wheel sizes. We wanted our current The One customers to be able to upgrade to our new platform without having to do a full build while doing so.

Pedaling is upgraded from The One, so yes, it pedals extremely well with 26's. The geo is just a bit more aggressive with this set up, allowing the bike to have more of a "park" feel.

Now that doesn't mean that you can't get zesty with 27.5's and a Pike! The edit we have coming out will showcase the all out rowdiness of the Balance, (it was ridden in 27.5 "All Mountian" mode in the edit).

All and all we are just trying to show the diversity of the Balance and how you can give it a slightly different personality, depending on component spec.

Hope that clarifies things and as always looking forward to your amazing images!!!

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Customers such as yourself are EXACTLY the reason why we designed the Balance to accept both wheel sizes. We wanted our current The One customers to be able to upgrade to our new platform without having to do a full build while doing so.

Pedaling is upgraded from The One, so yes, it pedals extremely well with 26's. The geo is just a bit more aggressive with this set up, allowing the bike to have more of a "park" feel.

Now that doesn't mean that you can't get zesty with 27.5's and a Pike! The edit we have coming out will showcase the all out rowdiness of the Balance, (it was ridden in 27.5 "All Mountian" mode in the edit).

All and all we are just trying to show the diversity of the Balance and how you can give it a slightly different personality, depending on component spec.

Hope that clarifies things and as always looking forward to your amazing images!!!

Cheers!
    Will the geometry still be okay with a 26 inch 160mm fork, thanks?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Do we have any frame weights yet? Curious what the large with shock weighs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalsoul View Post
    Will the geometry still be okay with a 26 inch 160mm fork, thanks?
    Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look-snip.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    bikes will be in this week??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tpliquid View Post
    bikes will be in this week??
    Frames are due to hit the port any day, then it's just a matter of the frames clearing customs.

I'll do an update as soon as we have them here in the warehouse and we'll be jamming to get the pre orders out as soon as possible!

We are close, very close!!!

mtbr member
    Frames are due to hit the port any day, then it's just a matter of the frames clearing customs.

I'll do an update as soon as we have them here in the warehouse and we'll be jamming to get the pre orders out as soon as possible!

We are close, very close!!!
    Huge ...can't wait!
    2014 Canfield Jedi - 2015 Canfield Balance - 2012 Canfield DJ

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    *heavy breathing* hahah! Any word on what postage you use for us EU customers? Dying over here!

mtbr member
    We've been already dead my bro

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Just got the email, it is on it's way! STOKED!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thegnarlycenturion View Post
    Just got the email, it is on it's way! STOKED!
    Frames are still in customs, we are just waiting for the word that they are ready for pick up.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Frames are still in customs, we are just waiting for the word that they are ready for pick up.

Cheers!

Weeeeeeeeeeee

what would the price hike be per frame if you had em made here? not trying to sound like a cock just curious cuz i'm sure your devote fans, including me, would pay the extra couple hundo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    what would the price hike be per frame if you had em made here? not trying to sound like a cock just curious cuz i'm sure your devote fans, including me, would pay the extra couple hundo
    Not sure if it's my place to speak on this, but I deal with this issue all the time at my job. I work for a US company that makes high-end climbing and skiing equipment. It is considerably more costly to produce our products here, as you suspect. But it's not just the higher wages/shipping/etc that makes domestic manufacture difficult. The biggest problem we have at my workplace is that there are few shops that can handle making our products. We make a lot of items, but carabiners are a mainstay. We make over 3 million carabiners per year, and many domestic US forging facilities would crap themselves if we asked them to do it for us. They simply can't handle the very tight tolerances we require at the volume we need. Additionally, forging facilities usually don't have things like industrial riveters in their shops to assemble the gates to the forged carabiners. They usually specialize in only one operation. We found we need to have a purpose-built facility to get what we demand, so we had to build our own forging facility with everything we need in one place. It is tremendously costly to run that kind of shop in the US. For example, a few years ago, our power bill was consistently around $60,000 per month.

Now Canfield probably doesn't demand a huge amount of volume compared to other bike brands, but there are a lot of different processes involved in making them. In Asia, it's easy to find shops that do everything under one roof, but here in the US, not so much. Things like milling links and bearing cavities, alignment, heat treatment, facing, anodizing, powdercoating, etc. are not often done in US welding facilities (union labor sometimes complicates the mixing of different services under one roof). So you have to find external sources for these other operations. In our company, we've also found it hard to locate all of our outside service providers close to each other geographically. Parts get sent all over the country. So even more shipping and handling costs are added. Combine that with our higher wages, out-of-control insurance costs, and high taxes, and before long, you've added a LOT of cost to the product, not just a couple hundred dollars more per frame. Going off the assumption that Pacific Cycles is a one-stop type facility with partnerships already formed for anodizing/milling/etc, it could be pretty tempting to go with them, purely from a logistical standpoint. Of course I'm not sure if this fits Canfield and Pacific Cycles' situation, but I could see it being so.

That being said, our company has plans to move most if not all of our product back from our Asian factory to our main manufacturing facility in Utah in the next year or two. It's getting more and more expensive to make things overseas, and we are looking forward to not having to sit on inventory for 5 additional weeks while our components sit in a box some sweaty cargo ship.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    Not sure if it's my place to speak on this, but I deal with this issue all the time at my job. I work for a US company that makes high-end climbing and skiing equipment. It is considerably more costly to produce our products here, as you suspect. But it's not just the higher wages/shipping/etc that makes domestic manufacture difficult. The biggest problem we have at my workplace is that there are few shops that can handle making our products. We make a lot of items, but carabiners are a mainstay. We make over 3 million carabiners per year, and many domestic US forging facilities would crap themselves if we asked them to do it for us. They simply can't handle the very tight tolerances we require at the volume we need. Additionally, forging facilities usually don't have things like industrial riveters in their shops to assemble the gates to the forged carabiners. They usually specialize in only one operation. We found we need to have a purpose-built facility to get what we demand, so we had to build our own forging facility with everything we need in one place. It is tremendously costly to run that kind of shop in the US. For example, a few years ago, our power bill was consistently around $60,000 per month.

Now Canfield probably doesn't demand a huge amount of volume compared to other bike brands, but there are a lot of different processes involved in making them. In Asia, it's easy to find shops that do everything under one roof, but here in the US, not so much. Things like milling links and bearing cavities, alignment, heat treatment, facing, anodizing, powdercoating, etc. are not often done in US welding facilities (union labor sometimes complicates the mixing of different services under one roof). So you have to find external sources for these other operations. In our company, we've also found it hard to locate all of our outside service providers close to each other geographically. Parts get sent all over the country. So even more shipping and handling costs are added. Combine that with our higher wages, out-of-control insurance costs, and high taxes, and before long, you've added a LOT of cost to the product, not just a couple hundred dollars more per frame. Going off the assumption that Pacific Cycles is a one-stop type facility with partnerships already formed for anodizing/milling/etc, it could be pretty tempting to go with them, purely from a logistical standpoint. Of course I'm not sure if this fits Canfield and Pacific Cycles' situation, but I could see it being so.

That being said, our company has plans to move most if not all of our product back from our Asian factory to our main manufacturing facility in Utah in the next year or two. It's getting more and more expensive to make things overseas, and we are looking forward to not having to sit on inventory for 5 additional weeks while our components sit in a box some sweaty cargo ship.
    Well put sir.

Us manufacturing can be done but for the average customer it's a push. If my Canfield yelli or N9 were $1500 plus as I would expect a US made frame to be I doubt I would be buying one.

I have a friend that makes custom camshaft a for diesel trucks. He can do a Chinese made cam for $750 to your door. Super high quality. He had a group of customers approach him and asked about a us made cam. Took him 18 months to find a factory that would even do a run of them. He asked this group to prepay on the @ $1450 a cam. They did. They produced them and they sold the presale out. He sold the cams at $50 above cost on the US cams.

He had one extra made and sent to a lab for testing just to see how quality it was. The lobes we a bit softer than the Chinese model.

Quality can come from anywhere. It's all on the supplier and there QC to ensure high quality product.

Thankful Canfield is amazing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post

Interesting insight, if that is the company I think it is I have lots of their cams and biners, quality stuff and those newer super light racking biners are awesome. I ended up getting the banshee darkside as I wanted 180 travel and it turned out to be a sweet build, if anyone is wondering light bicycle 650b carbon 35mm rims are awesome. I highly recommend them for any 650b builds. I laced them up on Hadley hubs and the front wheel is 834g total wheelset is 1806g. I used Hadley singlespeed and dh hubs 36h and supercomp spokes with alloy nips. Those wheels accelerate like crazy and I was able to inflate the 2.4 650b ardents tubeless with a handpump very easily, I used the wtb 30mm tcs rim tape.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    Thankful Canfield is amazing.
    Thanks Andrew!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    So, if I can't move my Fox 36 Talus (using currently at 160mm on my One) over to a new Balance frame, yet I want to use my current 26" wheels, what would be the suggested fork?
    Any way to "protect" myself regarding upgrade thoughts of possibly going to 650b wheels and get a 650b fork that still works with current 26" yet keeps the geometry & bb height correct?
    2016 Trek Stache
    2010 Canfield Brothers - The One
    2010 Cannondale Scalpel - SoBe Team Carbon frame (for sale)

mtbr member
    As we are waiting for our US Balance frames to arrive, we air shipped in two production frames to round out our demo fleet. During our build, we discovered the seat stays were moved out 1mm from our drawings and prototypes. While 1mm sounds like nothing, it limits our crank compatibility with a few of the lighter weight options such as Race Faces Next SL, XTR and XX1. Most of the cranks that should be ridden with this genre of bike, will mount with zero issues.

Please refer to our site for our Balance crank compatibility list for more information.

If you have a frame on pre order and own a set of cranks on the non compatible list, please email us as we have options for you.

mtbr member
    Balance reports are coming in from our international customers and they are STOKED!

Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look-20140903_171907.jpg

Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look-10553507_842138949158872_1644091678472483262_n.jpg

"Hi guys, I just came back from first riding session. The bike just blew me away. the suspension makes it ultimate mini dh platform. It is so snappy in corners even with 27.5. When Jumping, it feels like there is no end of travel in it. Here is few photos we put together with my friend."

Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look-10592920_842138985825535_1383065179375886862_n.jpg

Stefan, from Mad Elk Cycles in Ireland.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    damn i have xo with 175 which i bought just for the bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    That sucks, just bought a set of 170mm Next SL's. So is it a maybe or they will definitely not work?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    On the crank chart you guys show the SixC working, is that the new Cinch crankset that just came out or the old style cranks?

mtbr member
    Balance reports are coming in from our international customers and they are STOKED!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140903_171907.jpg 
Views:	1506 
Size:	245.9 KB 
ID:	921041
    Is this a large?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    As we are waiting for our US Balance frames to arrive, we air shipped in two production frames to round out our demo fleet. During our build, we discovered the seat stays were moved out 1mm from our drawings and prototypes. While 1mm sounds like nothing, it limits our crank compatibility with a few of the lighter weight options such as Race Faces Next SL, XTR and XX1. Most of the cranks that should be ridden with this genre of bike, will mount with zero issues.

Please refer to our site for our Balance crank compatibility list for more information.

If you have a frame on pre order and own a set of cranks on the non compatible list, please email us as we have options for you.
    That's pretty crappy. Will this be fixed on future runs?

mtbr member
    disappointed

Your bike sucks
    Man, that's a bummer. I'm sure I'd love that bike but the crank selection would be a buzz kill. Hopefully changed in future runs.

Go for the throat
    So even if production was to exact specs, you'd only have 1mm of clearance on certain cranks (especially 175mm lengths)? Some on the incompatible list are pretty commonly used cranks. 1 mm seems unnecessarily tight. I'm not complaining, if the cranks clear, they clear. Who cares by how much. I'm just curious what the reasoning/necessity is behind this design feature. Please elaborate, I'm sure people here would appreciate an explanation.

Edit: On second thought, it might indeed matter how much clearance you have and not that you just have clearance. You might get a lot of shoe rub on your seat stays with things being this tight. Admittedly, I haven't measured any other frames for crank arm-seat stay clearance (I've never even thought about it), so it might be common for things to be this tight for all I know.

Really, I'm not trying to be negative nancy on this issue. I can't wait to throw a leg over this bike. I'd just like to hear the Bros' thoughts on this issue.

Canfield Brothers
    One of the things we wanted was to still be able to run a front derailleur. The seat stay needed to be out enough to clear the derailleur and tight enough to fit most cranks. We liked the wide stance on the rear for the stiffness and the crank fit was good on our prototypes. Cranks, tires and derailleurs all fight for the same space and it's a tight fit when pushing geometry. I'm not loving the front derailleur right now...
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

i assume this will be worked out in the 2nd run? i'm waiting until then as all my cranks are on the no no list

mtbr member
    If the only problem regarding that 1mm diference is crank compatibility i honestly don't give a sh*it. Hope to have my frame here in a couple of weeks AND a CB crank as well.

mtbr member
    just make a 2nd gen with no FD compatibility asap... best solution indeed.
    FDs are outdated.

mtbr member
    I'll answer my own question:
    Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    Is this a large?
    Yes, it is.

I'm hoping to see a picture of an XL frame if someone (or the Canfields themself) already got it.

J:
    mtbr member

Good job! cool pics

Awesome that this frame accepts a front D, way more range and I prefer the better chainline

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Do the cranks on the "no" list actually hit or are they just close?

i agree with savo and ditch the fd on gen 2. especially that 11 speed and 10 spd expanders are now out. confused would you really want to put a crank on that barely clears, when you know how much a frame flexes?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I dont know, just hoping to find out the clearance on the "no list" and now that you mention it, how much flex there is also?

mtbr member
    What's the weight of an M balance frame? With and without CCDB Air?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BTTR View Post
    What's the weight of an M balance frame? With and without CCDB Air?
    Production frames came in right on target. 8.6lbs with a CCDB CS. This gives us a frame burly enough to ride an AM bike how WE like to ride all mountain.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast