Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by plume View Post
    My biggest concern (as with any new bike now) is price point. If it's inline with The Jedi pricing why wouldn't I get a flashy carbon bike with a DW link? I'm asking because I don't know enough about either design actually beyond numbers on paper. I've ridden a few DW bikes and they're great, why is this suspension design better and different? Real questions. That said, the bike looks wonderful and based on those pics it would look really nice hanging next to the Yelli... plume needs a f/s bike in 2014...
    Hi Plume, I'm sure your answers will come in good time. I don't know, but I imagine that this bike is going to kick ass in the suspension department. I own a One and a Jedi and they both have better suspension in my opinion than the two DW link bikes I owned previously. Obviously that isn't enough to judge a brand new bike, but if this bike is an improvement on the One it will absolutely blow your mind. Based on the OP this bike is a ways out though, so it's probably best to not to speculate until we have some concrete information.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertr View Post
    Hi Plume, I'm sure your answers will come in good time. I don't know, but I imagine that this bike is going to kick ass in the suspension department. I own a One and a Jedi and they both have better suspension in my opinion than the two DW link bikes I owned previously. Obviously that isn't enough to judge a brand new bike, but if this bike is an improvement on the One it will absolutely blow your mind. Based on the OP this bike is a ways out though, so it's probably best to not to speculate until we have some concrete information.

Cheers.
    I have the exact same experience than vert, i own a first gen one and a jedi, use to have a few dw bikes, the one linkage system is the best i've tried.
    That said every suspension system has evolved greatly and i've tested a few bikes in the past two years and been very impressed with other designs that i use to hate..

I too i'm concern about pricing, so many good choices in the market now
    expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

mtbr member
    Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look-1470202_10201941166987493_1851565440_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Must have run into Lance down in Arizona...

mtbr member
    It's pretty common consent that the One covers the scale from AM through FR and into DH. I often ride XC on mine (that's all my sissypants friends like to ride lately), but I'll be the first to admit that XC isn't the One's strongest area. Just going off of the pictures, it seems like the Balance would cover everything from hard XC through hard AM, and they said it will work in the park as well? Seriously?! Holy crap, if they did make a super light bike that can cover the area of the One while also pushing into the lighter-duty side of the spectrum, I think I might get a little weak in the knees.

Now I have to try and convince the wife that I need a new bike, which sadly I doubt I'll be able to do for at least a few more years unless some miracle were to happen.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    This bike is a totally different animal than anything they currently have. It's their answer to the Spec Enduro and Yeti SB series. A true enduro racer IF it's buildable in the mid to high twenties. That will be key.
    The One, while an awesome bike, has somewhat of an identity problem. It overlaps with the Jedi while being too beefy to compete with these newer enduro bikes that can descend AND climb like goats.
    That HD FR category, where The One rules, seems to be going away.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Metric and HA that can go from 66.5 to 65 is something nobody has right now..

Canfield Brothers
    Thank you guys for all the responses over the last week. It's been fun seeing all of your first impressions. Our goal with the Balance is to offer the "Enduro" riders a stout 160mm bike that not only has amazing pedaling characteristics, but will also have our Canfield confidence inspiring capabilities for descents. We designed the Balance around the RS 160mm Pike and configured geo to work both 27.5 and 26. (26 for customers looking to make the Balance more park oriented.) We did not incorporate adjustable geo/travel features in this bike as we did not feel they were necessary for a bike in this genre. Of course, by running internal/external headsets or a longer fork you will have the option of dialing in the HA to your personal preference and riding style. (I will be running mine with 26's and a Marz 170mm 55 Evo Ti to make the perfect Bellingham trail slayer).

The Balance will be replacing The One in our line up, however I will say the 160mm Balance feels really deep for its travel and feels similar in depth to The One in 7 mode. The shorter rear, (16.75 stays), allows the bike to feel nimble and corner like its on rails. This bike is simply put - REALLY FUN to ride and we are very excited to bring this bike to the market! Here's a rad shot of Lance testing it's capabilities:
    Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look-lance-canfield.jpg

We'll have the full details and answers to the rest of your questions when we do our full release as we get closer to having bikes available.

Vin
    Last edited by KillingtonVT; 12-04-2013 at 08:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    and what will be that date?
    May you give a more detail prevision than just early summer of 2014?

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by komondor View Post
    and what will be that date?
    May you give a more detail prevision than just early summer of 2014?
    That is as close of estimate as have we have at this time. Trust me, I wish they were in stock NOW and ready to go!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post
    16.75 stays
    That's short!
    Have you got any other number to give us? HA, SA, ett...

mtbr member
    Thank you guys for all the responses over the last week. It's been fun seeing all of your first impressions. Our goal with the Balance is to offer the "Enduro" riders a stout 160mm bike that not only has amazing pedaling characteristics, but will also have our Canfield confidence inspiring capabilities for descents. We designed the Balance around the RS 160mm Pike and configured geo to work both 27.5 and 26. (26 for customers looking to make the Balance more park oriented.) We did not incorporate adjustable geo/travel features in this bike as we did not feel they were necessary for a bike in this genre. Of, course by running internal/external headsets or a longer fork you will have the option of dialing in the HA to your personal preference and riding style. (I will be running mine with 26's and a Marz 170mm 55 Evo Ti to make the perfect Bellingham trail slayer).

The Balance will be replacing The One in our line up, however I will say the 160mm Balance feels really deep for its travel and feels similar in depth to The One in 7 mode. The shorter rear, (16.75 stays), allows the bike to feel nimble and corner like its on rails. This bike is simply put - REALLY FUN to ride and we are very excited to bring this bike to the market! Here's a rad shot of Lance testing it's capabilities:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lance Canfield.jpg 
Views:	704 
Size:	197.8 KB 
ID:	852013

We'll have the full details and answers to the rest of your questions when we do our full release as we get closer to having bikes available.

Vin
    It's looking more and more promising.
    I only wish there was a carbon version

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Looks good!Love the short stays!Vertical axle path or a little back movement like the jedi?I really want a 29'er for the riding i do but this is tempting.Any chance the fs 29'er will have the short stays?How about rearward axle path?

Your bike sucks
    I have to admit, that the short stays are sounding nice. Temptation even before I get my One built....

mtbr member
    May 2004

Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look

How long was the stays on the original One/Diggle?

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris9702l View Post
    How long was the stays on the original One/Diggle?
    Everything based off of The One platform was 17.5"

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Everything based off of The One platform was 17.5"
    I have money ready to throw at you guys. Tell me there will be an orange frame with black links!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Have white also plz!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Nice line through/around that trail section. It is definitely the badass line.

Canfield Brothers
    I've never been one to follow the line.
    FYI- Installing the 26" wheel set and 170 fork today. Should be fun!
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    if i could make a request, then i would ask that you get your anodized links to match your pedals a little more closely. it seems that the blues match up pretty well, but the greens and reds do not. i have two bikes up for sale to buy this one and would love a raw frame with green pedals and links that are close in color. hunter green preferably.
    2014 L Banshee Spitfire Black

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by guswalls View Post
    if i could make a request, then i would ask that you get your anodized links to match your pedals a little more closely. it seems that the blues match up pretty well, but the greens and reds do not. i have two bikes up for sale to buy this one and would love a raw frame with green pedals and links that are close in color. hunter green preferably.
    With aluminum anodizing, the grade of aluminum will have a big effect on the color. 6061 will come out a different tint than say, 7000 series. I would guess the pedals are a different grade alum than the links.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    We'll I guess my dream bike is changing from The One to the Balance. Now I just need to get my 16 year old a** to actually save some money.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Aluminum 160mm rear travel and 26/650b convertible sounds like a killer frame. Love to hear how that 170mm feels too

This happen to have a gloss black finish by chance??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike View Post
    I've never been one to follow the line.
    FYI- Installing the 26" wheel set and 170 fork today. Should be fun!
    How'd she fly with the 26" setup? Pic's will speak a thousand words...
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast