Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-canfield-brothers-2016-balance-2.jpg

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-2016-balance-preview-3.jpg

Striking a balance between efficient pedaling and all-out descending—an elusive feat claimed by many, realized by few. The all-new Canfield Brothers Balance is slacker, lower, faster and stronger, yet thanks to the patented Canfield Balance Formula suspension, it is an incredibly efficient pedaler capable of earning its turns.

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-canfield-brothers-2016-balance-6.jpg

Based on the efficient all-rounder that the ‘Bros rolled out in 2014, but calling on the hucking heritage of the original pedalable freeride rig that debuted a decade ago, the 2016 Canfield Brothers Balance was re-engineered with longer travel 165 millimeters and a lower leverage ratio for more consistent, smooth travel under hard riding, and a more progressive end stroke to swallow big hits. An all-new CNC'ded upper link increases stiffness, while a redesigned rear triangle improves tire clearance, and the entire frame is now crafted from bombproof 7005-series aluminum.

Features:

• 27.5” Aggressive All Mountain
    • 7005 aluminum with an all new, stiff CNC'd upper link
    • Patented Canfield Balance Formula Suspension
    • 165mm travel
    • 216mm x 63mm Cane Creek Double Barrel Air CS included
    • 142 x 12mm rear dropouts, axle included
    • Tapered headtube
    • 15mm pivot bearings
    • Replaceable rear derailleur hanger, spare hanger included
    • Anodized and factory raw frame options
    • Available in Small, Medium, Large and X-Large

Geo:
    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-balance-geo.jpg

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-canfield-brothers-2016-balance-5.jpg

Combining the active CBF suspension with the rolling advantages of 27.5-inch wheels results in a fast, responsive ride, while handling is kept playful and confident with a slack 65-degree head-angle and even shorter 420-millimeter chainstays.

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-canfield-brothers-2016-balance-10.jpg

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-canfield-brothers-2016-balance-1.jpg

Long before the “E” word, The Bros. had their own idea of what an all-mountain bike should be—just as capable of flagrant disregard for line choice and taking big hits in stride as it is of getting you to the top under your own power. The 2016 Balance is perhaps the purest form of that yet—an aggressive all-mountain machine that’s just as at home in the bike park as it is earning it on a backcountry epic or blazing first descents.

Where will you find your Balance?

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-canfield-brothers-2016-balance-11.jpg

Rider - Lance Canfield, images by Ian Cook/Elements Of Exposure.

For more info, please see our website.
    Last edited by KillingtonVT; 12-09-2015 at 03:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Looks great....love in lengthened reach and wheelbase from last years.

Is frame weight the same?

I see the fork rec's now say 160-170mm. Does that mean the new lyrick or 36 are approved now? Or is it still just the MRP stage for 170?

SP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by F.I.T.nj View Post
    Looks great....love in lengthened reach and wheelbase from last years.

Is frame weight the same?

I see the fork rec's now say 160-170mm. Does that mean the new lyrick or 36 are approved now? Or is it still just the MRP stage for 170?

SP
    We designed the 2016 Balance around a 160mm Pike, however it's now rated up any 170mm fork.

mtbr member
    I know lots of people are happy you stayed away from boost rear spacing. What was your reasoning for execluing it from the riot and now this. The bike looks great. I think I'd be very happy with it or the riot. Keep up the good work!
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Looks like a solid bike with some good looking geo numbers. Do you have a frame weight?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Wow, looks good! Some difficult bike buying decisions to make in the near future...

Are there any shots of the black anodize or raw finish with the purple links? Also, is the raw clearcoated?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    is geo with internal or external headset?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    I know lots of people are happy you stayed away from boost rear spacing. What was your reasoning for execluing it from the riot and now this. The bike looks great. I think I'd be very happy with it or the riot. Keep up the good work!
    Because creating new standards is dumb. The only reason manufacturers do that is to sell more parts, and make what you already have, obsolete. Planned obsolescence.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    Because creating new standards is dumb. The only reason manufacturers do that is to sell more parts, and make what you already have, obsolete. Planned obsolescence.
    So you'd prefer this bike have a 1" headset and a quick release holding the rear end together?

J:
    Shibuya!
    Dec 2009
    Sweet photos there!

mtbr member

2016 Balance Colors

The 2016 Balance colors. What's your favorite?

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-canfield-brothers-2016-balance-ano-black-black.jpg

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-canfield-brothers-2016-balance-ano-black-red.jpg

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-canfield-brothers-2016-balance-ano-black-blue.jpg

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-canfield-brothers-2016-balance-ano-black-orange.jpg

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-canfield-brothers-2016-balance-ano-black-green.jpg

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-canfield-brothers-2016-balance-ano-black-purple.jpg

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-canfield-brothers-2016-balance-raw-black.jpg

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-canfield-brothers-2016-balance-raw-red.jpg

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-canfield-brothers-2016-balance-raw-blue.jpg

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-canfield-brothers-2016-balance-raw-orange.jpg

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-canfield-brothers-2016-balance-raw-blue-green.jpg

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-canfield-brothers-2016-balance-raw-purple.jpg

J:
    Shibuya!
    Dec 2009
    Raw-ness on the trail is nice

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_from_PA View Post
    is geo with internal or external headset?
    Our geos are based off of external as you can't do an internal headset with a tapered steerer on our 49mm lower headtubes. (I think there is a company in EU that does offer a headset for this, but the bearings would be too pinner by our standards).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guinea View Post
    Wow, looks good! Some difficult bike buying decisions to make in the near future...

Are there any shots of the black anodize or raw finish with the purple links? Also, is the raw clearcoated?
    I just posted images of all the colors for you guys. The factory raw is a raw frame that we semi polish and leave uncoated. It will develop a sweet patina over time or you can simply touch it up with steel wool, (0000), to bring it to a full polish.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    do you take trade ins on 2015 balances?? haha i need this NOW

I'm with stupid
    If I did not just blow a ton of money building up a Riot I would be all over this like a hobo on a Ham sandwich!! I wish you guys would have done the head tube brace on the riot, for no ther reason than it looks really cool. I went back and forth on a riot or a balance, glad these pics and info were not out a little over a month ago, or my choice would have been much, much , harder. Cant wait for one of the two bikes to come out in carbon......Hopefully 29er first since I already have wheels and a fork. haha

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    So what's the frame weight for a medium?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullcoilmojo View Post
    So what's the frame weight for a medium?
    We will post production weights once the frames arrive, but our protos were just under 8.25lbs without shock. We wanted this new bike to be similar to our Jedis, where you can have confidence that your bike is DH tough and ready for whatever you can throw at it for years to come!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Great job on this model. I can't stop staring at it. Also thanks for keeping the rider in mind instead of going along with the latest horrible trends, for example, staying with threaded bottom bracket and keeping the rear 12x142. I understand that there's a benefit for boost on 29ers, but unnecessary for 27.5. I like to build up my own bike and sometimes use existing parts because there's nothing wrong with them and replace when things get worn or broken. When manufactures make changes just to update the latest model year without real benefits, that is plan obsolescence for us consumers. Thanks Canfield for giving us a REAL choice. The Balance will be my next ride.

mtbr member
    Y
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottieM8 View Post
    Great job on this model. I can't stop staring at it. Also thanks for keeping the rider in mind instead of going along with the latest horrible trends, for example, staying with threaded bottom bracket and keeping the rear 12x142. I understand that there's a benefit for boost on 29ers, but unnecessary for 27.5. I like to build up my own bike and sometimes use existing parts because there's nothing wrong with them and replace when things get worn or broken. When manufactures make changes just to update the latest model year without real benefits, that is plan obsolescence for us consumers. Thanks Canfield for giving us a REAL choice. The Balance will be my next ride.
    ScottieM8 - We can thank you enough for for your post. Seeing this makes everything we go through worth while! We are still here after 16 years because of the overwhelming support we get from our riders and we do have the BEST customers in the industry! Thanks you guys for helping make life FUN!

I swear this forum NEEDS a "like" button!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Subscribed. I wanna see where this goes...

mtbr member
    Looks great!
    But since it follows the trend it's even more similar to my Nomad 3 than the 2014 Balance was, so in my particular case the 2014 makes more sense to me, especially now with 26'' wheels.
    The huge wheel base especially in the M size (the one for me) may make it not very friendly in a lot of AM singletracks.
    I'd love a Raw this time though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Looks pretty cool.
    What size bearings are used for the suspension links?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sancycling View Post
    Looks pretty cool.
    What size bearings are used for the suspension links?
    We use max 15mm on all the Balance pivots,

mtbr member
    Introducing the Limited Edition 2016 Balance/DVO Suspension Package.

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-canfield-brothers-le-balance-dvo-suspension-package.jpg

Features:

● 27.5” Aggressive All Mountain
    ● LIMITED EDITION painted DVO green links
    ● DVO 160mm Green Diamond included
    ● 216mm x 63mm DVO Jade, steel spring included
    ● 7005 aluminum with an all new, stiff CNC'd upper link
    ● Patented Canfield Balance Formula Suspension
    ● 165mm travel
    ● 142 x 12mm rear dropouts, axle included
    ● Tapered headtube
    ● 15mm pivot bearings
    ● Replaceable rear derailleur hanger, spare hanger included
    ● Anodized Black frame
    ● Available in Small, Medium, Large and X-Large

$2999 USD, shipping January 2016

For more info, please see our webstore.
    Last edited by KillingtonVT; 12-10-2015 at 01:16 PM.

I'm with stupid
    Wish you would have had this offered with the riot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The new bike looks awesome! Definitely want to build one up next year. The DVO kit looks badass but I think I'll stick with MRP. I love the Stage on my EPO and the Diamond just doesn't have the tire clearance I want.
    Last edited by BlueDragonX; 12-11-2015 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Diamond, not Emerald

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post
    Introducing the Limited Edition 2016 Balance/DVO Suspension Package.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Canfield Brothers LE Balance DVO suspension package.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	1034798

Features:

● 27.5” Aggressive All Mountain
    ● LIMITED EDITION painted DVO green links
    ● DVO 160mm Green Diamond included
    ● 216mm x 63mm DVO Jade, steel spring included
    ● 7005 aluminum with an all new, stiff CNC'd upper link
    ● Patented Canfield Balance Formula Suspension
    ● 165mm travel
    ● 142 x 12mm rear dropouts, axle included
    ● Tapered headtube
    ● 15mm pivot bearings
    ● Replaceable rear derailleur hanger, spare hanger included
    ● Anodized Black frame
    ● Available in Small, Medium, Large and X-Large

$2999 USD, shipping January 2016

For more info, please see our webstore.
    Oh man!
    If i didn't already had an N3 and a 2015 Balance, this would be my next bike

Your bike sucks
    Curious - is there a crank arm length restriction like there was in the first run? I seem to remember restrictions on 170+ from certain mfgrs (SRAM resonated with me).

Bike looks great.

PS - still love my One and DJ. Brilliant bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    Curious - is there a crank arm length restriction like there was in the first run? I seem to remember restrictions on 170+ from certain mfgrs (SRAM resonated with me).
    This was one of many goals with the new bike and by dropping the front derailleur, everything opened up in terms of design. Crank clearance and of course, shortening the CS were the two primary features with this. The only crank that may be close is the XTR M985/M9000, these were designed with a narrower "race" standard and runs 4mm narrower than an XO. XTR M980/M9020 look good as well as XT, Sram, RaceFace and everything else NORMAL on the market.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    What are the prospects of a Lyrik package? For heavier riders looking for a stiff fork who may be thinking of a Fox 36 or Lyrik build, this would provide an an attractive option among the already-supported suspension vendors (i.e., Rockshox in this case).

mtbr member
    +1 on the Lyrik package

Not really doing much Ridin' or Diggin'

mtbr member
    Looks like Santa arrived early this year! 2016 Balances are in stock.
    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-b-shipment.jpg

Happy Holidays everyone.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    How far behind are the new Riots?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chowdapilot View Post
    How far behind are the new Riots?
    Chowda - We keep the webstore up to date with ETA's on all of our products. New orders for Riots will be available towards the end of February.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Captain Oldschool;12361415]What are the prospects of a Lyrik package? For heavier riders looking for a stiff fork who may be thinking of a Fox 36 or Lyrik build, this would provide an an attractive option among the already-supported suspension vendors (i.e., Rockshox in this case).[/QUOTE

Our Balance/Lyrik package will be hitting the store today. Available the end of February.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    [QUOTE=KillingtonVT;12392677]
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Oldschool View Post
    What are the prospects of a Lyrik package? For heavier riders looking for a stiff fork who may be thinking of a Fox 36 or Lyrik build, this would provide an an attractive option among the already-supported suspension vendors (i.e., Rockshox in this case).[/QUOTE

Our Balance/Lyrik package will be hitting the store today. Available the end of February.
    Thanks, Vin! That's awesome! Pulling the trigger this week!

-The Captain

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Hi All,

First time posting here. Thought I would put up a pic of a 2016 Balance I just built up. Weather has prevented me from taking it out yet. I'm pumped to give it a go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-img_3342.jpg  

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-img_3343.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyD82 View Post
    Hi All,

First time posting here. Thought I would put up a pic of a 2016 Balance I just built up. Weather has prevented me from taking it out yet. I'm pumped to give it a go.
    wow, nice looking build!!! courious about the weight, have you weighted it yet? Also looking forward for a ride report!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I agree that balance looks awesome! I'd guess weight around 32.5 based on what my Riot came in at. Mine was 29.8 with a really weight conscious build.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Hi guys,

Thanks! It came in at 32.4lbs. I could have gone with some lighter carbon components, but I could not justify the cost for the weight savings. I figure I'll just get stronger and pull the weight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by max_lombardy View Post
    I agree that balance looks awesome! I'd guess weight around 32.5 based on what my Riot came in at. Mine was 29.8 with a really weight conscious build.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyD82 View Post
    Hi guys,

Thanks! It came in at 32.4lbs. I could have gone with some lighter carbon components, but I could not justify the cost for the weight savings. I figure I'll just get stronger and pull the weight.
    BooYA!

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by max_lombardy View Post
    BooYA!
    That guess was on point!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Sweet bike man. Give us a ride report when you get some time in on it

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    has anyone weight the frame?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I took my 2016 Balance out in the wild for the first time. It is a cool bike. I need to ride it and tune the shock to be able to give a good review but first impression was very promising.

Build
    Balance M - Raw, Red links
    Fork: Fox 36 @ 170mm
    Wheels: Hope Hubs, Stans Flow EX rims, DT swiss Competition spokes, Brass Nipples
    Tires: HR2 2.4 EXO (F), Bontrager Butcher 2.3 Comp (R)
    All new XT drive train 1x11 with XTR shifter, 32T chainring
    XT Pedals (older version)
    XT Brakes (older version)
    Bar: Spank Spike 800mm
    Stem: Thomson 50mm
    Dropper: KS Lev Integra 150
    Weight: 33lbs. I tried checking the frame weight but my scale was not very accurate. 7.7 - 8.1lbs. The total build weight is correct.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-balance-2016-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Just dropped mine off at the shop for some finishing touches but decided to weigh it, came out to 32.1lbs with the following:

Raw/red Large frame
    160mm Pike
    CCDBA CS
    Race Face Sixc 800mm uncut
    Race Face Atlas 50mm stem
    ODI Rogue grips
    Shimano Zee brakes
    203mm front/180 rear Ice tech rotors
    Canfield 155mm crankset with Wolftooth SS 28t chainring
    SRAM X01 shifter
    SRAM XX1 rear derailleur
    SRAM XX1 cassette
    Race Face Turbine 150mm dropper
    Deity Pinner saddle
    Chris King hubs
    DT Swiss comp spokes
    WTB ASYM i35 rims
    Maxxis DHF 2.5 Wide Trail
    Maxxis DHR II 2.4 Wide Trail

Waiting on my Avalanche Woodie and Pike Cartridge which will probably add another 1lb or so. I'll post pictures once those are on.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sancycling View Post
    I took my 2016 Balance out in the wild for the first time. It is a cool bike. I need to ride it and tune the shock to be able to give a good review but first impression was very promising.

Build
    Balance M - Raw, Red links
    Fork: Fox 36 @ 170mm
    Wheels: Hope Hubs, Stans Flow EX rims, DT swiss Competition spokes, Brass Nipples
    Tires: HR2 2.4 EXO (F), Bontrager Butcher 2.3 Comp (R)
    All new XT drive train 1x11 with XTR shifter, 32T chainring
    XT Pedals (older version)
    XT Brakes (older version)
    Bar: Spank Spike 800mm
    Stem: Thomson 50mm
    Dropper: KS Lev Integra 150
    Weight: 33lbs. I tried checking the frame weight but my scale was not very accurate. 7.7 - 8.1lbs. The total build weight is correct.
    Nice looking build!

mtbr member
    Man, I wish I weren't happy with my '15 Balance because these changes are sweet and tempting. And the top/tube/downtube side plate gussets are badass! Reminds me of when The One was tweaked for '13 with the same update. Very Jedi-esque

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Hi All,

Finally got a chance to take the Balance out for spin and it is good, very good! I did a 13 mile loop today which included steeps climbs and descents, flowy single track, cobble fields, water crossings and chunk downhill laden with jumps. I am running a 160 Pike up front for reference and the CCDB air cs that came with the bike. I base tuned the shock to the 2015 settings that CC has on their website. The bike pedals very well in all of the conditions. The back is incredibly active over cobble that would rattle my teeth out on my previous rig. It rolled through it with out slowing down. In the flowy single track the bike tracked the trail and ate up square edged bumps. I never lost speed in any of the chatter or 1 off dips I encountered. Climbing... this bike climbs very well. I did a back to back comparison with the CS switch on and off and didn't feel a significant difference in climbing effort/power to the ground. A little pedal bob was noticed when the switch was in the off position, but not enough to cry about. My build came in at 32.4lbs and towards the top of the climbs you could feel a bit of the weight, this is no XC race rig. That being said it climbs very well for the amount of travel and robustness of this frame. Tight single track climbing (Switchback) wasn't a problem either. As long as you plan out your turn before getting to it you can negotiate tight corners easily. Descending - WOW! This is a fast bike that likes the rough. Rock drops - no biggy, launching jumps - yes please, whipping through corners - I'll have seconds. I'm no slouch on a bike, but this can do more than I can currently throw at it. It carries its speed well and accelerates fast. It is extremely stable and felt like it was on rails blasting through corners. All in all I am super happy with it and looking forward to getting comfortable on it and pushing it's limits.

mtbr member
    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-6853_10153551086614753_4392119394844923739_n.jpg

I used to never get laid. Now I need to carry a stick to keep them away from me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twarner21609 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6853_10153551086614753_4392119394844923739_n.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	1046001

I used to never get laid. Now I need to carry a stick to keep them away from me.
    I'm going to go ahead and call it right now... BEST POST OF THE YEAR!

mtbr member
    I'm going to go ahead and call it right now... BEST POST OF THE YEAR!
    10 posts in a year and a half. I guess my work here is done. Thank you, sir.

mtbr member

2016 Balance Review

I just had one of our team guys forward over a review and quick comparison of his 2016 vs. his 2015 Balance.

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-bobby-m-balance.jpg

I finally took my 2016 Balance out for its maiden voyage and I felt it was necessary for me to let you guys know that it rips! You guys crushed it!!! Huge high fives!!!

Coming off the 2015 Balance I noticed all the changes you guys made while building my new ride. From the little things like the cable routing and the change from ISCG-05 to ISCG tabs to the extra pedal clearance and detailed gusset. It all just came together so perfectly that I had a gut feeling that I was going to love this bike.

I ended up taking it out on a day that we decided to go ride some new trails in CT that are pretty techy. The terrain is flatish, with punchy hills loaded with square edge rocks and off camber roots. Lots of pedaling…One of my friends was on a 27.5 carbon fiber hardtail and the other two were on 120mm carbon fiber trail bikes. This isn’t the typical terrain I ride.My Balance weighs in at 31.5lbs, has super gravity tires on, and I’m pushing a 34T front chainring so I expected that I would be doing a lot of riding by myself and possibly walking some of the punchier sections… Totally not the case.

Bobby Michailides at Mount Snow, VT.
    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-booby-m.jpg

I was really surprised at how well I was able to keep the pace and how well the bike handled the techy sections. I had no doubt on how well the bike descends but it is so responsive on any terrain. I was power manualing through the rocks and crushing the hills while also descending with the most confidence of the group and hitting any line I chose without second guessing the bikes abilities. It’s amazing. It gives back everything you put into it. It really does pedal like a trail bike and descend like a DH rig.

We rode for 3 hours on trails that require a lot of pedaling and I never felt like I was riding the “wrong” bike. Nothing is better than knowing that this year I AM on the perfect ride! You guys found the balance. You nailed it. THANKS!

Attitash, NH
    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-bobby-m-attitash.jpg

Bobby Michailides – Canfield Brothers Team Rider

I'm with stupid
    Nice review! I am still tempted to get a balance to replace my 650 enduro but not sure if that is too much over lap with my Riot. I have the enduro for courses and tracks that I feel the riot might not be enough bike. However I am finding that I need the enduro less and less because the riot is a beast. Have any of your team riders compared both ( balance riot) or do you think a balance would compliment a riot at a big bigger weapon for rougher tracks or too much over lap?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Nice review! I am still tempted to get a balance to replace my 650 enduro but not sure if that is too much over lap with my Riot. I have the enduro for courses and tracks that I feel the riot might not be enough bike. However I am finding that I need the enduro less and less because the riot is a beast. Have any of your team riders compared both ( balance riot) or do you think a balance would compliment a riot at a big bigger weapon for rougher tracks or too much over lap?

Comparing the 2015 Balance to the Riot, there would be a lot of overlap. This is one of the reasons we went ahead and launched the new, rowdier version of the Balance for 2016. We wanted to push the Balance platform as far as we could, while maintaining it's uphill pedaling performance. Yes, the Riot LOVES to be ridden on rowdy terrain, but the Balance can handle almost as much as most DH bikes and begs to be ridden that way.

mtbr member
    Every post on this thread leads me further to wanting to change my SC Bronson frame for a new Balance frame & Lyrik fork...
    Not really doing much Ridin' or Diggin'

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennW View Post
    Every post on this thread leads me further to wanting to change my SC Bronson frame for a new Balance frame & Lyrik fork...
    You should

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennW View Post
    Our Lyrik's arrive in just over two weeks... Just saying... HAHAHA.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Bah, is there any way to get package pricing if I got my frame already?

mtbr member

Cheers!
    Arrrgh, you guys aren't helping lol. Damn this house remodel draining my bike funds.

mtbr member
    Out of curiousity, what is the leverage ratio on the 2016 Balance?

mtbr member
    Bah, is there any way to get package pricing if I got my frame already?
    Email Sean to help you out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Email Sean to help you out.
    That right there is customer service. Cheers guys you're doing it right!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Cheers!
    So it says that the lyric shipped with my order (if I read that right). Could it be true???

I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adrennan View Post
    So it says that the lyric shipped with my order (if I read that right). Could it be true???

I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sounds like Sean shipped your frame out as we have no way to mark what has or has not been shipped on a multiple piece order. Lryik's hit the first-ish week of March as previously mentioned. The Balance and Lyrik combo is going to be insane!

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-balance1.jpg

Here she is, maiden voyage just around the hood. Trails are too wet yet. But first impressions pedaling are... it feels eerily smooth, but still responsive on the pedals. A little more bob than I'm used to, but I didn't feel like it was soaking up power from my pedal stroke, just softening out the trail. Someone obviously knew what they were doing designing this bike.

specs:
    1x11 XT, 11-42t, 32t Raceface N/W
    Saint Cranks/pedals (haven't rode flats since the 90's, so might switch)
    Saint Brakes, 203/180mm RT86 rotors
    RF Atlas 50mm stem 1-3/4 Atlas riser bars
    KS 150mm dropper/Atlas seat
    Velocity Blunt35 rims, DT competition spokes, alloy nipples, Onyx hubs
    Tires are Minion DHF front/WTB Vigilante rear, but they were cheap/free, haven't decided what to run until I get some more time on it.
    Fork is a leftover 170mm X-fusion Vengeance until I decide if I want a Lyrik or Fox float 36 RC2
    Should be a beast on the DH.

I'm with stupid
    Nice looking bike! Other then pedaling how did you like it?

mtbr member
    The pedaling was still good, it just felt like it was bobbing more. Maybe part of that was from being on a hardtail fat bike all winter, and my pedal stroke being messed up not being clipped in anymore. For such a slack bike, it handled pretty quick. I'm going to take it out for a longer ride tomorrow, maybe get 20-30 miles in. Then I'll have more time to get the cockpit all tweeked to where I want it, and maybe play with the shock a little bit. I pretty much just set it to the base tune off the website, set up about 17mm sag and went out with my daughter after work.

mtbr member
    The pedaling was still good, it just felt like it was bobbing more. Maybe part of that was from being on a hardtail fat bike all winter, and my pedal stroke being messed up not being clipped in anymore. For such a slack bike, it handled pretty quick. I'm going to take it out for a longer ride tomorrow, maybe get 20-30 miles in. Then I'll have more time to get the cockpit all tweeked to where I want it, and maybe play with the shock a little bit. I pretty much just set it to the base tune off the website, set up about 17mm sag and went out with my daughter after work.

Glad you are enjoying your new ride. I wanted to hop and clarify a bit of information about our suspension. What you are feeling on your Balance is not pedal bob, what you are feeling is your body's weight moving the suspension. A lot of suspension designs will relay on chain tension and suspension stiffening to allow the bike to pedal better. One of the main advantages of our CBF suspension is the complete disconnect between pedaling and suspension. With CBF, the suspension is completely active no matter if you are hammering on the pedals, or ripping a downhill. This gives you the most power transfer to your rear wheel as it is not being sucked up by suspension movement. Again, no matter locked out or not, your body weight will always allow the shock to compress under normal load transfer. This is very different than pedal induced "bob". A tech tip for those looking for a firmer suspension feel, adding a few clicks of low speed compression will reduce the amount of body induced movement.

We are just waiting for our website developer to have time to finish up our new CBF site, but we hope to have that and all of our info on CBF live soon.

mtbr member
    I guess that's what I meant about it bobbing, but not feeling like it was soaking up pedal power, just didn't know the terminology or whatever to describe. It makes the bike feel wicked smooth, since on my other rig, I ran fairly high pressure in the shock to keep it from bobbing, that it didn't smooth out the ride. This just feels like it's floating.

mtbr member
    Glad you are enjoying your new ride. I wanted to hop and clarify a bit of information about our suspension. What you are feeling on your Balance is not pedal bob, what you are feeling is your body's weight moving the suspension. A lot of suspension designs will relay on chain tension and suspension stiffening to allow the bike to pedal better. One of the main advantages of our CBF suspension is the complete disconnect between pedaling and suspension. With CBF, the suspension is completely active no matter if you are hammering on the pedals, or ripping a downhill. This gives you the most power transfer to your rear wheel as it is not being sucked up by suspension movement. Again, no matter locked out or not, your body weight will always allow the shock to compress under normal load transfer. This is very different than pedal induced "bob". A tech tip for those looking for a firmer suspension feel, adding a few clicks of low speed compression will reduce the amount of body induced movement.

We are just waiting for our website developer to have time to finish up our new CBF site, but we hope to have that and all of our info on CBF live soon.
    Well said Vin.

On the trail I really feel "at one" with my Riot. The bike and I moving together in unison. No sensation of extra monkey-motion, just terrain gobbling goodness. As close to a Hoverbike as you can get. So smooth both up and down.

mtbr member
    I guess that's what I meant about it bobbing, but not feeling like it was soaking up pedal power, just didn't know the terminology or whatever to describe. It makes the bike feel wicked smooth, since on my other rig, I ran fairly high pressure in the shock to keep it from bobbing, that it didn't smooth out the ride. This just feels like it's floating.
    Sweet man, just wait until you give it a proper thrashing, it's INSANE!

mtbr member
    Ditto! Congrats on owning one of the best bikes made by the best company out there. You have chosen wisely.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

CCDBA CS Base Tune for 2016 Balance

I've just noticed that Canfield posted a base tune for the CCDBA CS on the 2016 Balance. Curiously, it's significantly different from the 2015 Balance base tunes in two ways -- 1) 2016 recommended sag is 15mm (~24%) vs. the 2015's 17mm (~30%), and 2) 2016 HSC is set very open at 0.5 turns vs. the 2015's 2.5 turns.

I would expect some differences in tune for the 2016 model given the longer stroke and lower mean leverage ratio, but I don't understand why these two values would have changed as they have. Does anyone have insight into the genesis of this base tune? Can anyone share his experience tuning the CCDBA CS for the 2016 Balance?

Many thanks!

C.O.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    In the review above he mentions the switch from ISCG05 to ISCG; on the website it says ISCG05. I assume the website is correct. And why the change there?

mtbr member
    It's iscg05. I have the MRP amg v2 bash/guide on mine

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    In the review above he mentions the switch from ISCG05 to ISCG; on the website it says ISCG05. I assume the website is correct. And why the change there?
    Presumably, the move to ISCG-05 is to provide more clearance for outboard-bearing BBs like the Race Face BSA30.

C.O.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I am in the market for a mini DH/park bike for my 12 your old, he is right at 5' and is at his max height for his supreme 24. I really leaning towards the balance, if it is a good fit for him.

- Anyone know the recommended min & max height for the small size frame?
    - Also, has anyone rode the 2016 with 26"? If yes, how did it ride.

thanks.

mtbr member
    I've just noticed that Canfield posted a base tune for the CCDBA CS on the 2016 Balance. Curiously, it's significantly different from the 2015 Balance base tunes in two ways -- 1) 2016 recommended sag is 15mm (~24%) vs. the 2015's 17mm (~30%), and 2) 2016 HSC is set very open at 0.5 turns vs. the 2015's 2.5 turns.

I would expect some differences in tune for the 2016 model given the longer stroke and lower mean leverage ratio, but I don't understand why these two values would have changed as they have. Does anyone have insight into the genesis of this base tune? Can anyone share his experience tuning the CCDBA CS for the 2016 Balance?

Many thanks!

C.O.
    Less sag = higher spring rate and less chance for bottoming. I think the biggest mistake I see novice tuners make is dialing in a bunch of HSC because they don't have enough spring (air pressure in the case of air shocks) so they compensate with HSC which negatively affects big hit compliance. Less sag with less HSC on a lower leverage ratio, more progressive suspension makes perfect sense to me. In fact I'd say the 2016 will pedal and take hits significantly better than the 2015 model. Now if they'd only make a carbon version...

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Less sag = higher spring rate and less chance for bottoming. I think the biggest mistake I see novice tuners make is dialing in a bunch of HSC because they don't have enough spring (air pressure in the case of air shocks) so they compensate with HSC which negatively affects big hit compliance. Less sag with less HSC on a lower leverage ratio, more progressive suspension makes perfect sense to me. In fact I'd say the 2016 will pedal and take hits significantly better than the 2015 model. Now if they'd only make a carbon version...

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Thanks, G MAN. That makes intuitive sense. I suppose that there are many ways to skin the shock setup cat, but making up for insufficient spring rate with more HSC doesn't seem like an optimal one. The more open tune posted for the 2016 balance seems a bit more the RS Charger Damper operation on a Pike or Lyrik -- very open on HSC with LSC dialed up enough to maintain good riding manners.

mtbr member

Many thanks!

C.O.
    C.O.- Thanks for the heads up on the Base Tune. The sag I posted was incorrect as I used an old form and updated it, (forgot to update the sag portion of the chart.) It is now updated to the 2016, which we recommend 21mm, 33%. Also, frames that feature CBF are not sag dependent, so you can fine tune your ride. Here is the updated chart:
    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-2016-balance-base-tune.jpg

To answer questions on the base tunes, keep in mind they are just that, a base tune. Our shocks don't use special valving, just a solid starting point as far as the settings go and everyone will have preferences on how they like their bike to feel. For instance, even here in the office, all four of us prefer our bikes to feel slightly different. The 2015 settings were from Lance and I. Lance's settings were the "standard" base tune and mine were the "park" settings. Lance rode his more as an AM bike, whereas, I rode mine on more park like trails. The posted 2016 settings are Chris's. Again these are just a starting point for everyone and you should tune to your riding style, trails you ride, etc.
    Last edited by KillingtonVT; 03-03-2016 at 02:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dc40 View Post
    I am in the market for a mini DH/park bike for my 12 your old, he is right at 5' and is at his max height for his supreme 24. I really leaning towards the balance, if it is a good fit for him.

- Anyone know the recommended min & max height for the small size frame?
    - Also, has anyone rode the 2016 with 26"? If yes, how did it ride.

thanks.
    DC40 - We really don't have solid "recommended" sizes as personal preferences come into play VERY much when it comes to sizing. That being said, the 2016 Balance, we lengthened the reach by .75" over the 2015 Balance. (15.75" vs 16.5"). I am 5'6" and the 2016 feels spot on for me. At 5' the 2016 might feel big for you son, but it could be something he can grow into.

We do get asked the 26" question quite regularly. The 2015 we needed to make a few compromises with our design. We wanted it to have a front derailleur, so we needed to design around that. We also wanted it to work with 26" and 27.5" wheels, so our BB height was a compromise to allow for both. The 2016 was a NO COMPROMISE design that gave us everything we wanted out of the Balance. We built the bike around our optimal 13.5" BB, therefor running 26's would make the BB SUPER low. In this case MIGHT not be a bad thing, but in general we are not recommending 26's on the 2016 Balance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks for the reply regarding base tune, Vin! Awesome perspective on tuning. Looking forward to getting my Lyrik and dialing in my first Canfield Balance!

-C.O.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    KillingtonVT - thanks for the quick reply back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I am rooting for those lyrics to hurry up!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    It's an exercise in patience for me as well. The reward will be sweet!

mtbr member
    I am rooting for those lyrics to hurry up!!!!!!!
    Lyriks are in stock and shipping out today! Stoked to finally have our Balance/Lyrik packages available.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Can the Balance take 27+ like the Riot?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Does the new Balance have enough progression to run a coil shock well when bombing dh runs?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Going to AngelFire this summer. Instead of renting a DH bike for 4 days, thinking about putting the money towards a Balance. I might rethink this if I could rent a Jedi. I only go to parks once, or twice a year so hard to justify buying a DH bike. But a Balance I could ride anywhere. Green isn't my faverite color, but the DVO suspension package looks sweet. Thought I read that the Diamond fork won't take a 2.5 DHF. This will be set up to handle park duty so curious what y'all think about the fork. Just starting to think about this bike as I have been riding 29ers for awhile. Currently on a TBLT that I did ride at AngelFire. It was a little undergunned, but still fun. I didn't ride anything too knarly. I did a good sized drop on a local trail the other day and bottomed front and rear. That got me thinking about more travel.

On anther subject. Nobody is making a saddle with a soft, round nose. For sliding up on for climbing and one that doesn't stab you crash. Like the old 2010 Phenom. Wonder if the Bros could do it since they make components and seems it would be easier for them since they're a small company. Sorry to get off thread subject.

Also see a Riot in my future. Cool bike. Just have one that's too similar right now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Just started building it up this weekend. Looks awesome. Just need to get a bike shop to do a couple things for me then it will be good to go.

Does anyone have recommended percentage of weight for the air pressure in the shock?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rone Turner View Post
    Going to AngelFire this summer. Instead of renting a DH bike for 4 days, thinking about putting the money towards a Balance. I might rethink this if I could rent a Jedi. I only go to parks once, or twice a year so hard to justify buying a DH bike. But a Balance I could ride anywhere. Green isn't my faverite color, but the DVO suspension package looks sweet. Thought I read that the Diamond fork won't take a 2.5 DHF. This will be set up to handle park duty so curious what y'all think about the fork. Just starting to think about this bike as I have been riding 29ers for awhile. Currently on a TBLT that I did ride at AngelFire. It was a little undergunned, but still fun. I didn't ride anything too knarly. I did a good sized drop on a local trail the other day and bottomed front and rear. That got me thinking about more travel.

On anther subject. Nobody is making a saddle with a soft, round nose. For sliding up on for climbing and one that doesn't stab you crash. Like the old 2010 Phenom. Wonder if the Bros could do it since they make components and seems it would be easier for them since they're a small company. Sorry to get off thread subject.

Also see a Riot in my future. Cool bike. Just have one that's too similar right now.
    Rone - Thanks for the stoke on the Balance! The 27.5 Diamond has no issues running a 2.5, that's how we have on of our demos set up.

We are always looking at other components to add to the line, however it just a matter of time allocation for us.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Selle SMP saddle solved the same problems for me. Similar to the Phenom saddle you mentioned, but with a curved nose. It has a love it or hate it look, but works great.
    Last edited by jsalas2; 03-21-2016 at 05:34 PM.

I'm with stupid
    I hate the look of those witch nose saddles. I will stick with taking the saddle point in the taint instead of ruining a great looking canfield bike with one of those..... just saying

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    I hate the look of those witch nose saddles. I will stick with taking the saddle point in the taint instead of ruining a great looking canfield bike with one of those..... just saying

LOL! Your right, it has a love it or hate it look. Oh, but it works so well. My big old rear hides it well while riding.
    Last edited by jsalas2; 03-21-2016 at 05:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Don't think you'll have any demos in Texas, but would love to try one out. Especially with some of y'all's shorter (165 mm) cranks. So I will just have to go by the reviews and the riders on this forum. Do you think I would even notice any difference between the DVO and Fox 36 for stiffness (15mm/20mm axle), big hit compliance or bad line forgiveness (170mm vs 160mm)? I know 10 mm of travel isn't much, but I am going to be riding it on downhill trails and its always nice to have a little extra. I don't think you can go wrong with the Jade, no matter what fork. Probably just get the DVO package. It just looks so cool and would make a perfect 50th birthday present for myself.

I understand about producing a seat. I know you are a small company run by a few good people. And we appreciate that. Just been bugging me that no one makes a seat with a nose for mt bikes. Thanks for your reply.

Jsalas2, I've seen those seats. Thought they were a little narrow at the front end, but may still try one. Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Ha, that's exactly where my seat stabbed me the last time I crashed. Don't want to do anything to kill the look of these bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Hi,

I just finished the assembly of my new balance, and i would like to konw what's the smallest ring i can mount on it in regard of the frame kinematic design ?

I currently mounted a 30t ring with which i feel pretty good, but i plan to do some big ride with loooooonng uphill sections, and i wonder if a 28t chainrig would keep the good pedaling-hability of the bike ?

Thanks for you answer and please do not take attention of my poor english :-(

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Since the Bros. don't sell complete bikes, they don't have cater to any component mfg. So I would like to know what components they put on their bikes and which they picked for the demo bikes. I'm going to build a Balance DVO with the Bros. cranks, Derby rims, Onxy hubs, DHF Minnion tires, 9point8 dropper(wonder if the new 175mm will fit), Lizardskin Northshore grips, handlebar/stem in 35mm dia.(haven't decided on brand yet). Maybe Saint brakes, but want good modulation, so open to something different. So what drivetrain, handlebar/stem and brakes are y'all running. Seats and pedals are too personal preference. Bike will be used for parks and DH mainly. Thanks. Any other Balance owners can let us know what you like or didn't.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast