Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Ok, I want to bring this conversation here out of the Carbon Riot thread. I prefer 29er and have a Riot. I ride a little heavy on the bars and the big hoops eat up wheel catchers and I don't OTB with them. Most the long travel 9ers out aren't built in my size(I'm 5'6") I won't be buiidling anything till Feb 2018 the Balance checks all the boxes but wheel size...is Roll over less of an issue with 170 travel. I've rented DH bikes but they were 26" and it's been a few years.

I'm with stupid
    Love me some balance. Yes the 170 fork makes up for any loss I'm rollover. Bike is a beast. I have both and if you are looking for a big brother to the riot you can hit hard, the balance is your answer. Buy while on sale!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Iím and inch taller than you and I ride the medium EPO and small Balance. The Balance will be a perfect compliment to your quiver! The 170 fork will mash anything in your way. Donít sleep on the current sale... Iím tempted to buy a back up frame at those prices...

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SB666 View Post
    Iím and inch taller than you and I ride the medium EPO and small Balance. The Balance will be a perfect compliment to your quiver! The 170 fork will mash anything in your way. Donít sleep on the current sale... Iím tempted to buy a back up frame at those prices...
    How do you find the small Balance at your size? I am 5' 5.5" and thought I might be on the small-medium cusp.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I would totally jump on the sale, but the wife and I travel to Pisgah every October to bike, so the funds are not expendable. I get a fat bonus in January so I'll be building a beast bike then.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I'll echo what everyone else has said. You can do no harm in going with the balance. I've never ridden a 29er. No problems with rollover and or going OTB with 26" or 27.5" wheels for me. I'm so stoked with the Balance that I'm already contemplating a Riot and or a Nimble 9 in the not so distant future. Canfield frames from here on out for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarescu View Post
    How do you find the small Balance at your size? I am 5' 5.5" and thought I might be on the small-medium cusp.
    Small feels great for me with a 50mm stem. I prefer the small for the shorter seat tube, so I can run a 150mm dropper. The bike fit feels perfect 95% of the time. There have been times at the bike park hitting jumps at higher speeds where I have felt like a medium might be better. If I got another frame Iíd likely get a small again though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Small feels great for me with a 50mm stem. I prefer the small for the shorter seat tube, so I can run a 150mm dropper. The bike fit feels perfect 95% of the time. There have been times at the bike park hitting jumps at higher speeds where I have felt like a medium might be better. If I got another frame Iíd likely get a small again though.
    Great to hear - I have the frame already so I'm locked in regardless! I have a 125mm seatpost, to go on it, so I perhaps that will be my first upgrade if it's looking to stick out a bit far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarescu View Post
    Great to hear - I have the frame already so I'm locked in regardless! I have a 125mm seatpost, to go on it, so I perhaps that will be my first upgrade if it's looking to stick out a bit far.
    You wonít be disappointed!

I'm with stupid
    You wonít be disappointed!
    What he said!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    Ok, I want to bring this conversation here out of the Carbon Riot thread. I prefer 29er and have a Riot. I ride a little heavy on the bars and the big hoops eat up wheel catchers and I don't OTB with them. Most the long travel 9ers out aren't built in my size(I'm 5'6") I won't be buiidling anything till Feb 2018 the Balance checks all the boxes but wheel size...is Roll over less of an issue with 170 travel. I've rented DH bikes but they were 26" and it's been a few years.
    I picked up a Balance and it has a 160mm fork. That front wheel is so far out there it feels like it plows through more than my Honzo at 140mm. I was prepared to lose a bit of rollover going to the smaller wheel size because of the feel of my Honzo. I knew as long as the front end of that bike could manage obstacles I could manage the rear. With the Balance I now aim for rock gardens and don't even worry about picking lines. It's probably not the best technique but I just try to exit at speed. The Balance is ridiculous and I love it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Just slapped a new used DVO Topaz on my balance in place of the CCDBA CS. Bought one slightly spontaneously due to a price I could not refuse. I almost bought a Float X2 (still might), but have always wanted to try out some DVO stuff (hello DVO Diamond). Have a X2 on my DH rig and had an X2 on my Devinci Spartan. Excited to see how the Topaz handles a thorough workout.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    I picked up a Balance and it has a 160mm fork. That front wheel is so far out there it feels like it plows through more than my Honzo at 140mm. I was prepared to lose a bit of rollover going to the smaller wheel size because of the feel of my Honzo. I knew as long as the front end of that bike could manage obstacles I could manage the rear. With the Balance I now aim for rock gardens and don't even worry about picking lines. It's probably not the best technique but I just try to exit at speed. The Balance is ridiculous and I love it.
    Honestly, this is why I'm interested in the balance as a second bike. There are a few trails I ride local and plenty on travel that I just want to let go the brakes and ride. For me, a drop into a rock garden is bliss. My riot handles most things very well...but I want more lol and I don't like having to choose a line.

mtbr member
    Following this post from aenema 2015 Canfield Brothers Riot 29er FS

I think i'm going to try and see if boost rear wheel fits my coming 2016 Balance frame.
    I currently have 26'' wheels (non-boost) on my 2014 Balance so those won't go on my 2016 frame.
    But i have a set of spare boost wheels here that would be perfect for the 2016 Balance if they fit.
    Anyone tried boost rear wheel on a 2016/17 Balance???

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BTTR View Post
    Anyone tried boost rear wheel on a 2016/17 Balance???
    I am currently running 2.5 WTB Breakout in the rear and I believe it won't fit any more. It has around half an inch clearance from each side. It depends on the tire of course. I can photo it for you later, if you want.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartor87 View Post
    I am currently running 2.5 WTB Breakout in the rear and I believe it won't fit any more. It has around half an inch clearance from each side. It depends on the tire of course. I can photo it for you later, if you want.
    Thanks, but i mean a boost wheel (hub).
    It has nothing to do with the tyre.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by BTTR View Post
    Thanks, but i mean a boost wheel (hub).
    It has nothing to do with the tyre.
    Someone in one of the Riot topics was discussing doing the same thing. The rear end on his was sprung out a little so it wasnít that hard to get the wheel in. As they had to do you will need to get a longer axel to accommodate the extra 6mm of width. You might want to check with the Bros first though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyspoke View Post
    Someone in one of the Riot topics was discussing doing the same thing. The rear end on his was sprung out a little so it wasnít that hard to get the wheel in. As they had to do you will need to get a longer axel to accommodate the extra 6mm of width. You might want to check with the Bros first though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah i know.
    It was aenema's post (to which i posted a link) that brought me the idea.
    I'll try to put a boost wheel on my 2014 Balance just to see it fits.
    And yeah i'll contact the Bro's

mtbr member
    We tried a bunch of frames at the office- with a 148 hub.
    The 3mm of opening that it needs on each side- isn't that much.
    But you do need a longer axle.

But we found them to mount right up- no problem.

I'm with stupid
    Boost fit in both my riot and balance

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I posted in the Riot thread but axle specifications you need are at least 172mm in lenth (there are a bunch of 174 options), 1.75 thread pitch and 20mm of threaded length. I got a maxle for mine but there are a couple other options. My thread linked above has actual links to a couple axles available. They cost about 40 bucks or so.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared View Post
    We tried a bunch of frames at the office- with a 148 hub.
    The 3mm of opening that it needs on each side- isn't that much.
    But you do need a longer axle.

But we found them to mount right up- no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Boost fit in both my riot and balance

Quote Originally Posted by aenema View Post
    I posted in the Riot thread but axle specifications you need are at least 172mm in lenth (there are a bunch of 174 options), 1.75 thread pitch and 20mm of threaded length. I got a maxle for mine but there are a couple other options. My thread linked above has actual links to a couple axles available. They cost about 40 bucks or so.
    Prefect!
    Thank you guys

aenema, yeah i saw your link to the longer axle. Great info!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I pulled the trigger on a Balance after ordering a Riot so I got two Canfields coming my way!

Edit: Found mounting hardware

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonggi View Post
    I pulled the trigger on a Balance after ordering a Riot so I got two Canfields coming my way!

Edit: Found mounting hardware
    What did you end up using for which shock? I assume a size slightly <22mm & 36mm? Or Slightly over filed down? Or rockshox/cane creek?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bkirk View Post
    What did you end up using for which shock? I assume a size slightly <22mm & 36mm? Or Slightly over filed down? Or rockshox/cane creek?
    I decided to do slightly less than 22 so theres no unwanted drag(if that even makes sense?)

And for the 8X36 I am ordering this:

8mm 35.56mm 803-03-185

https://www.probikesupply.com/produc...nt=14104268998

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678