Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Results 701 to 748 of 748
  1. #701
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    894
    Ok, I want to bring this conversation here out of the Carbon Riot thread. I prefer 29er and have a Riot. I ride a little heavy on the bars and the big hoops eat up wheel catchers and I don't OTB with them. Most the long travel 9ers out aren't built in my size(I'm 5'6") I won't be buiidling anything till Feb 2018 the Balance checks all the boxes but wheel size...is Roll over less of an issue with 170 travel. I've rented DH bikes but they were 26" and it's been a few years.

  2. #702
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,418
    Love me some balance. Yes the 170 fork makes up for any loss I'm rollover. Bike is a beast. I have both and if you are looking for a big brother to the riot you can hit hard, the balance is your answer. Buy while on sale!

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

  3. #703
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    653
    Iím and inch taller than you and I ride the medium EPO and small Balance. The Balance will be a perfect compliment to your quiver! The 170 fork will mash anything in your way. Donít sleep on the current sale... Iím tempted to buy a back up frame at those prices...

  4. #704
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by SB666 View Post
    Iím and inch taller than you and I ride the medium EPO and small Balance. The Balance will be a perfect compliment to your quiver! The 170 fork will mash anything in your way. Donít sleep on the current sale... Iím tempted to buy a back up frame at those prices...
    How do you find the small Balance at your size? I am 5' 5.5" and thought I might be on the small-medium cusp.

  5. #705
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    894
    I would totally jump on the sale, but the wife and I travel to Pisgah every October to bike, so the funds are not expendable. I get a fat bonus in January so I'll be building a beast bike then.

  6. #706
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    16
    I'll echo what everyone else has said. You can do no harm in going with the balance. I've never ridden a 29er. No problems with rollover and or going OTB with 26" or 27.5" wheels for me. I'm so stoked with the Balance that I'm already contemplating a Riot and or a Nimble 9 in the not so distant future. Canfield frames from here on out for me.

  7. #707
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    653
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarescu View Post
    How do you find the small Balance at your size? I am 5' 5.5" and thought I might be on the small-medium cusp.
    Small feels great for me with a 50mm stem. I prefer the small for the shorter seat tube, so I can run a 150mm dropper. The bike fit feels perfect 95% of the time. There have been times at the bike park hitting jumps at higher speeds where I have felt like a medium might be better. If I got another frame Iíd likely get a small again though.

  8. #708
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by SB666 View Post
    Small feels great for me with a 50mm stem. I prefer the small for the shorter seat tube, so I can run a 150mm dropper. The bike fit feels perfect 95% of the time. There have been times at the bike park hitting jumps at higher speeds where I have felt like a medium might be better. If I got another frame Iíd likely get a small again though.
    Great to hear - I have the frame already so I'm locked in regardless! I have a 125mm seatpost, to go on it, so I perhaps that will be my first upgrade if it's looking to stick out a bit far.

  9. #709
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    653
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarescu View Post
    Great to hear - I have the frame already so I'm locked in regardless! I have a 125mm seatpost, to go on it, so I perhaps that will be my first upgrade if it's looking to stick out a bit far.
    You wonít be disappointed!

  10. #710
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,418
    Quote Originally Posted by SB666 View Post
    You wonít be disappointed!
    What he said!

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

  11. #711
    mtbr member
    Reputation: beer_coffee_water's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    Ok, I want to bring this conversation here out of the Carbon Riot thread. I prefer 29er and have a Riot. I ride a little heavy on the bars and the big hoops eat up wheel catchers and I don't OTB with them. Most the long travel 9ers out aren't built in my size(I'm 5'6") I won't be buiidling anything till Feb 2018 the Balance checks all the boxes but wheel size...is Roll over less of an issue with 170 travel. I've rented DH bikes but they were 26" and it's been a few years.
    I picked up a Balance and it has a 160mm fork. That front wheel is so far out there it feels like it plows through more than my Honzo at 140mm. I was prepared to lose a bit of rollover going to the smaller wheel size because of the feel of my Honzo. I knew as long as the front end of that bike could manage obstacles I could manage the rear. With the Balance I now aim for rock gardens and don't even worry about picking lines. It's probably not the best technique but I just try to exit at speed. The Balance is ridiculous and I love it.

  12. #712
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    16
    Just slapped a new used DVO Topaz on my balance in place of the CCDBA CS. Bought one slightly spontaneously due to a price I could not refuse. I almost bought a Float X2 (still might), but have always wanted to try out some DVO stuff (hello DVO Diamond). Have a X2 on my DH rig and had an X2 on my Devinci Spartan. Excited to see how the Topaz handles a thorough workout.

  13. #713
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    I picked up a Balance and it has a 160mm fork. That front wheel is so far out there it feels like it plows through more than my Honzo at 140mm. I was prepared to lose a bit of rollover going to the smaller wheel size because of the feel of my Honzo. I knew as long as the front end of that bike could manage obstacles I could manage the rear. With the Balance I now aim for rock gardens and don't even worry about picking lines. It's probably not the best technique but I just try to exit at speed. The Balance is ridiculous and I love it.
    Honestly, this is why I'm interested in the balance as a second bike. There are a few trails I ride local and plenty on travel that I just want to let go the brakes and ride. For me, a drop into a rock garden is bliss. My riot handles most things very well...but I want more lol and I don't like having to choose a line.

  14. #714
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BTTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    559
    Following this post from aenema 2015 Canfield Brothers Riot 29er FS

    I think i'm going to try and see if boost rear wheel fits my coming 2016 Balance frame.
    I currently have 26'' wheels (non-boost) on my 2014 Balance so those won't go on my 2016 frame.
    But i have a set of spare boost wheels here that would be perfect for the 2016 Balance if they fit.
    Anyone tried boost rear wheel on a 2016/17 Balance???

  15. #715
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by BTTR View Post
    Anyone tried boost rear wheel on a 2016/17 Balance???
    I am currently running 2.5 WTB Breakout in the rear and I believe it won't fit any more. It has around half an inch clearance from each side. It depends on the tire of course. I can photo it for you later, if you want.

  16. #716
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BTTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartor87 View Post
    I am currently running 2.5 WTB Breakout in the rear and I believe it won't fit any more. It has around half an inch clearance from each side. It depends on the tire of course. I can photo it for you later, if you want.
    Thanks, but i mean a boost wheel (hub).
    It has nothing to do with the tyre.

  17. #717
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by BTTR View Post
    Thanks, but i mean a boost wheel (hub).
    It has nothing to do with the tyre.
    Someone in one of the Riot topics was discussing doing the same thing. The rear end on his was sprung out a little so it wasnít that hard to get the wheel in. As they had to do you will need to get a longer axel to accommodate the extra 6mm of width. You might want to check with the Bros first though.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #718
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BTTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyspoke View Post
    Someone in one of the Riot topics was discussing doing the same thing. The rear end on his was sprung out a little so it wasnít that hard to get the wheel in. As they had to do you will need to get a longer axel to accommodate the extra 6mm of width. You might want to check with the Bros first though.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah i know.
    It was aenema's post (to which i posted a link) that brought me the idea.
    I'll try to put a boost wheel on my 2014 Balance just to see it fits.
    And yeah i'll contact the Bro's

  19. #719
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cSquared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    309
    We tried a bunch of frames at the office- with a 148 hub.
    The 3mm of opening that it needs on each side- isn't that much.
    But you do need a longer axle.

    But we found them to mount right up- no problem.
    Canfield Brothers on Facebook
    https://bitconnect.co/?ref=cSquared

  20. #720
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,418
    Boost fit in both my riot and balance

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

  21. #721
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,192
    I posted in the Riot thread but axle specifications you need are at least 172mm in lenth (there are a bunch of 174 options), 1.75 thread pitch and 20mm of threaded length. I got a maxle for mine but there are a couple other options. My thread linked above has actual links to a couple axles available. They cost about 40 bucks or so.

  22. #722
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BTTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared View Post
    We tried a bunch of frames at the office- with a 148 hub.
    The 3mm of opening that it needs on each side- isn't that much.
    But you do need a longer axle.

    But we found them to mount right up- no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Boost fit in both my riot and balance

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema View Post
    I posted in the Riot thread but axle specifications you need are at least 172mm in lenth (there are a bunch of 174 options), 1.75 thread pitch and 20mm of threaded length. I got a maxle for mine but there are a couple other options. My thread linked above has actual links to a couple axles available. They cost about 40 bucks or so.
    Prefect!
    Thank you guys

    aenema, yeah i saw your link to the longer axle. Great info!

  23. #723
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    270
    I pulled the trigger on a Balance after ordering a Riot so I got two Canfields coming my way!

    Edit: Found mounting hardware

  24. #724
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonggi View Post
    I pulled the trigger on a Balance after ordering a Riot so I got two Canfields coming my way!

    Edit: Found mounting hardware
    What did you end up using for which shock? I assume a size slightly <22mm & 36mm? Or Slightly over filed down? Or rockshox/cane creek?

  25. #725
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by bkirk View Post
    What did you end up using for which shock? I assume a size slightly <22mm & 36mm? Or Slightly over filed down? Or rockshox/cane creek?
    I decided to do slightly less than 22 so theres no unwanted drag(if that even makes sense?)

    And for the 8X36 I am ordering this:

    8mm 35.56mm 803-03-185

    https://www.probikesupply.com/produc...nt=14104268998

  26. #726
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    727
    Fellow Balance owners, I'm going to put a coil fork on my Balance this winter. Question is, which one? My options are: buy a used 36 and install the Push ACS3, or a new MRP Ribbon Coil, or a new CC Helm Coil.

    The 36 will be the stiffest, but by how much I'm not sure. I could run 20x110TA on pinch-bolt lowers. The Push spring rate intervals are also really narrow, which is nice, but it's $80 to buy additional ones.

    The Helm has HSC/LSC but no apparent way to control bottom out resistance. The silver/black would look amazing with my raw Balance, but there's the whole Cane Creek factor. Also sounds like the damping adjustment range is biased quite a bit firm.

    The Ribbon is a half pound lighter than the other two, and I've heard fantastic things. Its damper doesn't have external HSC adjustment. It has Ramp Control which is partly speed-sensitive, but not the same.

    Intended use is doing what the Balance does best, including goofing off in the bike park and picking awful lines through chunky rock at high speed. What are your thoughts?

  27. #727
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    245
    I have the Ribbon Coil on order. Hope to get it in a few weeks. I went with MRP because their customer service is above and beyond. Currently riding a Stage a loving it. When the Stage needs an overhaul, I'm going to have them upgrade me to the new air spring and damper for a nominal fee. Furthermore, if your stanchions ever get damage, they can press on new ones for a reasonable price. Now who else does that?

  28. #728
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,192
    I have the MRP ribbon air and I am truly impressed with it. I had read good things and their customer service, responsiveness, and generally good vibe biker dudes helped decide to give it a go. It is so supportive mid stroke and works so well on aggressive terrain it is my new favorite player in the market. Coil would be a cool way to take that supple aspect up a couple notches so that is where my vote falls.

  29. #729
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    971
    Buying a used 36 and putting a coil in it just doesn't sound like much fun. You'd still have to contend with the damper side being used, and you're going to end up in "new fork price" territory anyways. Might as well just buy an Ohlins 36 (I think it's the RXF?) for the same price.

    Helm - eh, I've had enough of their rear shocks to say no thank you to the rest of their products. The Helm might be reliable or probably won't, but I'd give it at least a year to see.

    My vote would be MRP coil or Ohlins 36.

  30. #730
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    38
    i have a 170mm '15 Fox 36 and I picked up a really cheap 160mm pike rct3... Im bitten too by this coil fork bug...I might just get this push conversion I guess,, my jade is going to be Balanced!

  31. #731
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cSquared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    309
    If it's a 2017 frame- go full DH.
    My favorite new setup, Push rear and DH fork front. The new "ONE"....
    Canfield Brothers on Facebook
    https://bitconnect.co/?ref=cSquared

  32. #732
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared View Post
    If it's a 2017 frame- go full DH.
    My favorite new setup, Push rear and DH fork front. The new "ONE"....
    I have a 180m bike for that ; ).. tell us about your 2018 chainstay protectors !!
    16 Canfield Balance
    15 Banshee Darkside
    15 Knolly Warden

  33. #733
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared View Post
    If it's a 2017 frame- go full DH.
    My favorite new setup, Push rear and DH fork front. The new "ONE"....
    It's a 2016, and it still has to do duty on 30-mile rides. Otherwise the deals on the Mars 380 Ti look pretty killer.

    Consensus seems to be the Ribbon Coil, which is where I've been leaning. For those on the Ribbon, does anyone 1) wish it was stiffer? or 2) miss an HSC dial?

  34. #734
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    971
    My 2017 Balance is just so much more fun at 160mm. The front wheel just gets too light at 170mm for any kind of XC riding.

    For pure gravity riding? Sure, 170mm.

  35. #735
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    6
    First, I hate all of you guys with Canfield brothers balances.

    Second, any of you want to sell me your frame in size M in raw alu with blue links?

    Greetings!

  36. #736
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BTTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by fromanm View Post
    First, I hate all of you guys with Canfield brothers balances.

    Second, any of you want to sell me your frame in size M in raw alu with blue links?

    Greetings!
    I have a black 2014 Balance M frame with green links that will be (is) for sale really soon.
    It's in Europe.

  37. #737
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by BTTR View Post
    I have a black 2014 Balance M frame with green links that will be (is) for sale really soon.
    It's in Europe.
    Thanks mate, but I'm looking for a 2017 balance.

  38. #738
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BTTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by fromanm View Post
    Thanks mate, but I'm looking for a 2017 balance.
    K
    Good luck with the search.

  39. #739
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    My 2017 Balance is just so much more fun at 160mm. The front wheel just gets too light at 170mm for any kind of XC riding.

    For pure gravity riding? Sure, 170mm.
    What's the head angle at 160mm?

  40. #740
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Raleighguy29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    908
    65 dergrees


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  41. #741
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by BTTR View Post
    K
    Good luck with the search.
    I'll need it, I can't find it anywhere

  42. #742
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by fromanm View Post
    I'll need it, I can't find it anywhere

    You could buy a different color and strip the anodizing from the linkage. Apparently this is possible, however you lose ~0.002" from the overall dimensions. I guess that would be okay but it would be something to discuss with the anodizing place.

    How to safely remove anodized finish to aluminum parts?

  43. #743
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarescu View Post
    You could buy a different color and strip the anodizing from the linkage. Apparently this is possible, however you lose ~0.002" from the overall dimensions. I guess that would be okay but it would be something to discuss with the anodizing place.

    How to safely remove anodized finish to aluminum parts?
    Really I don't care much about the colour, but I can't find it in any colour

  44. #744
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by fromanm View Post
    Really I don't care much about the colour, but I can't find it in any colour
    Depending on how much you wanna spend, and if you are in Europe (or are willing to have one shipped from there):

    NEW '2017 Balance' - All Mountain / Enduro Mountain Bike Frame and Shock

    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance w/o Shock Orange M size - Mad Elk Cycles

  45. #745
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarescu View Post
    Depending on how much you wanna spend, and if you are in Europe (or are willing to have one shipped from there):

    NEW '2017 Balance' - All Mountain / Enduro Mountain Bike Frame and Shock

    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance w/o Shock Orange M size - Mad Elk Cycles
    Wow, that's very expensive.
    On the cb page the frame and shock is for 1300usd (out of stock), on that webpage is 2750usd.
    I really want it, but... But...

  46. #746
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by fromanm View Post
    Wow, that's very expensive.
    On the cb page the frame and shock is for 1300usd (out of stock), on that webpage is 2750usd.
    I really want it, but... But...
    The problem is that it's almost 2018. Remember they are around $2099USD when new, and the $1300 price is end of stock. My final suggestion would just be to give them a call.

  47. #747
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarescu View Post
    The problem is that it's almost 2018. Remember they are around $2099USD when new, and the $1300 price is end of stock. My final suggestion would just be to give them a call.
    I already did, they told me feb 2018, this will be a very sad Christmas

  48. #748
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by fromanm View Post
    I already did, they told me feb 2018, this will be a very sad Christmas
    You probably thought about it too much,, ; )... I wasted 4 months before pulling the trigger. ; ). Anyways, you might get a new CB frame with the new chainstay protector that is rumored around. . ; )
    16 Canfield Balance
    15 Banshee Darkside
    15 Knolly Warden

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Similar Threads

  1. Canfield Brothers Balance - First Look
    By KillingtonVT in forum Canfield
    Replies: 754
    Last Post: 05-10-2017, 09:06 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-12-2015, 12:34 PM
  3. Canfield Balance...anyone got one?
    By tokarsky268 in forum 27.5
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-17-2014, 03:10 PM
  4. Canfield Brothers Balance - In Stock!
    By KillingtonVT in forum 27.5
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-19-2014, 03:49 PM
  5. Canfield Brothers "BALANCE" replaces "THE ONE "
    By SHIVER ME TIMBERS in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-17-2014, 06:01 PM

Members who have read this thread: 221

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •