Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Ok, I want to bring this conversation here out of the Carbon Riot thread. I prefer 29er and have a Riot. I ride a little heavy on the bars and the big hoops eat up wheel catchers and I don't OTB with them. Most the long travel 9ers out aren't built in my size(I'm 5'6") I won't be buiidling anything till Feb 2018 the Balance checks all the boxes but wheel size...is Roll over less of an issue with 170 travel. I've rented DH bikes but they were 26" and it's been a few years.

I'm with stupid
    Love me some balance. Yes the 170 fork makes up for any loss I'm rollover. Bike is a beast. I have both and if you are looking for a big brother to the riot you can hit hard, the balance is your answer. Buy while on sale!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Iím and inch taller than you and I ride the medium EPO and small Balance. The Balance will be a perfect compliment to your quiver! The 170 fork will mash anything in your way. Donít sleep on the current sale... Iím tempted to buy a back up frame at those prices...

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SB666 View Post
    Iím and inch taller than you and I ride the medium EPO and small Balance. The Balance will be a perfect compliment to your quiver! The 170 fork will mash anything in your way. Donít sleep on the current sale... Iím tempted to buy a back up frame at those prices...
    How do you find the small Balance at your size? I am 5' 5.5" and thought I might be on the small-medium cusp.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I would totally jump on the sale, but the wife and I travel to Pisgah every October to bike, so the funds are not expendable. I get a fat bonus in January so I'll be building a beast bike then.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I'll echo what everyone else has said. You can do no harm in going with the balance. I've never ridden a 29er. No problems with rollover and or going OTB with 26" or 27.5" wheels for me. I'm so stoked with the Balance that I'm already contemplating a Riot and or a Nimble 9 in the not so distant future. Canfield frames from here on out for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarescu View Post
    How do you find the small Balance at your size? I am 5' 5.5" and thought I might be on the small-medium cusp.
    Small feels great for me with a 50mm stem. I prefer the small for the shorter seat tube, so I can run a 150mm dropper. The bike fit feels perfect 95% of the time. There have been times at the bike park hitting jumps at higher speeds where I have felt like a medium might be better. If I got another frame Iíd likely get a small again though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Small feels great for me with a 50mm stem. I prefer the small for the shorter seat tube, so I can run a 150mm dropper. The bike fit feels perfect 95% of the time. There have been times at the bike park hitting jumps at higher speeds where I have felt like a medium might be better. If I got another frame Iíd likely get a small again though.
    Great to hear - I have the frame already so I'm locked in regardless! I have a 125mm seatpost, to go on it, so I perhaps that will be my first upgrade if it's looking to stick out a bit far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Great to hear - I have the frame already so I'm locked in regardless! I have a 125mm seatpost, to go on it, so I perhaps that will be my first upgrade if it's looking to stick out a bit far.
    You wonít be disappointed!

I'm with stupid
    You wonít be disappointed!
    What he said!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    Ok, I want to bring this conversation here out of the Carbon Riot thread. I prefer 29er and have a Riot. I ride a little heavy on the bars and the big hoops eat up wheel catchers and I don't OTB with them. Most the long travel 9ers out aren't built in my size(I'm 5'6") I won't be buiidling anything till Feb 2018 the Balance checks all the boxes but wheel size...is Roll over less of an issue with 170 travel. I've rented DH bikes but they were 26" and it's been a few years.
    I picked up a Balance and it has a 160mm fork. That front wheel is so far out there it feels like it plows through more than my Honzo at 140mm. I was prepared to lose a bit of rollover going to the smaller wheel size because of the feel of my Honzo. I knew as long as the front end of that bike could manage obstacles I could manage the rear. With the Balance I now aim for rock gardens and don't even worry about picking lines. It's probably not the best technique but I just try to exit at speed. The Balance is ridiculous and I love it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Just slapped a new used DVO Topaz on my balance in place of the CCDBA CS. Bought one slightly spontaneously due to a price I could not refuse. I almost bought a Float X2 (still might), but have always wanted to try out some DVO stuff (hello DVO Diamond). Have a X2 on my DH rig and had an X2 on my Devinci Spartan. Excited to see how the Topaz handles a thorough workout.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    I picked up a Balance and it has a 160mm fork. That front wheel is so far out there it feels like it plows through more than my Honzo at 140mm. I was prepared to lose a bit of rollover going to the smaller wheel size because of the feel of my Honzo. I knew as long as the front end of that bike could manage obstacles I could manage the rear. With the Balance I now aim for rock gardens and don't even worry about picking lines. It's probably not the best technique but I just try to exit at speed. The Balance is ridiculous and I love it.
    Honestly, this is why I'm interested in the balance as a second bike. There are a few trails I ride local and plenty on travel that I just want to let go the brakes and ride. For me, a drop into a rock garden is bliss. My riot handles most things very well...but I want more lol and I don't like having to choose a line.

mtbr member
    Following this post from aenema 2015 Canfield Brothers Riot 29er FS

I think i'm going to try and see if boost rear wheel fits my coming 2016 Balance frame.
    I currently have 26'' wheels (non-boost) on my 2014 Balance so those won't go on my 2016 frame.
    But i have a set of spare boost wheels here that would be perfect for the 2016 Balance if they fit.
    Anyone tried boost rear wheel on a 2016/17 Balance???

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BTTR View Post
    Anyone tried boost rear wheel on a 2016/17 Balance???
    I am currently running 2.5 WTB Breakout in the rear and I believe it won't fit any more. It has around half an inch clearance from each side. It depends on the tire of course. I can photo it for you later, if you want.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartor87 View Post
    I am currently running 2.5 WTB Breakout in the rear and I believe it won't fit any more. It has around half an inch clearance from each side. It depends on the tire of course. I can photo it for you later, if you want.
    Thanks, but i mean a boost wheel (hub).
    It has nothing to do with the tyre.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Thanks, but i mean a boost wheel (hub).
    It has nothing to do with the tyre.
    Someone in one of the Riot topics was discussing doing the same thing. The rear end on his was sprung out a little so it wasnít that hard to get the wheel in. As they had to do you will need to get a longer axel to accommodate the extra 6mm of width. You might want to check with the Bros first though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyspoke View Post
    Someone in one of the Riot topics was discussing doing the same thing. The rear end on his was sprung out a little so it wasnít that hard to get the wheel in. As they had to do you will need to get a longer axel to accommodate the extra 6mm of width. You might want to check with the Bros first though.

Yeah i know.
    It was aenema's post (to which i posted a link) that brought me the idea.
    I'll try to put a boost wheel on my 2014 Balance just to see it fits.
    And yeah i'll contact the Bro's

mtbr member
    We tried a bunch of frames at the office- with a 148 hub.
    The 3mm of opening that it needs on each side- isn't that much.
    But you do need a longer axle.

But we found them to mount right up- no problem.
    [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Canfield-Brothers-Downhill-BikesC2-Components/163956136971393"]

I'm with stupid
    Boost fit in both my riot and balance

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I posted in the Riot thread but axle specifications you need are at least 172mm in lenth (there are a bunch of 174 options), 1.75 thread pitch and 20mm of threaded length. I got a maxle for mine but there are a couple other options. My thread linked above has actual links to a couple axles available. They cost about 40 bucks or so.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared View Post
    We tried a bunch of frames at the office- with a 148 hub.
    The 3mm of opening that it needs on each side- isn't that much.
    But you do need a longer axle.

But we found them to mount right up- no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Boost fit in both my riot and balance

Quote Originally Posted by aenema View Post
    I posted in the Riot thread but axle specifications you need are at least 172mm in lenth (there are a bunch of 174 options), 1.75 thread pitch and 20mm of threaded length. I got a maxle for mine but there are a couple other options. My thread linked above has actual links to a couple axles available. They cost about 40 bucks or so.
    Prefect!
    Thank you guys

aenema, yeah i saw your link to the longer axle. Great info!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I pulled the trigger on a Balance after ordering a Riot so I got two Canfields coming my way!

Edit: Found mounting hardware

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonggi View Post
    I pulled the trigger on a Balance after ordering a Riot so I got two Canfields coming my way!

Edit: Found mounting hardware
    What did you end up using for which shock? I assume a size slightly <22mm & 36mm? Or Slightly over filed down? Or rockshox/cane creek?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bkirk View Post
    What did you end up using for which shock? I assume a size slightly <22mm & 36mm? Or Slightly over filed down? Or rockshox/cane creek?
    I decided to do slightly less than 22 so theres no unwanted drag(if that even makes sense?)

And for the 8X36 I am ordering this:

8mm 35.56mm 803-03-185

https://www.probikesupply.com/produc...nt=14104268998

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Fellow Balance owners, I'm going to put a coil fork on my Balance this winter. Question is, which one? My options are: buy a used 36 and install the Push ACS3, or a new MRP Ribbon Coil, or a new CC Helm Coil.

The 36 will be the stiffest, but by how much I'm not sure. I could run 20x110TA on pinch-bolt lowers. The Push spring rate intervals are also really narrow, which is nice, but it's $80 to buy additional ones.

The Helm has HSC/LSC but no apparent way to control bottom out resistance. The silver/black would look amazing with my raw Balance, but there's the whole Cane Creek factor. Also sounds like the damping adjustment range is biased quite a bit firm.

The Ribbon is a half pound lighter than the other two, and I've heard fantastic things. Its damper doesn't have external HSC adjustment. It has Ramp Control which is partly speed-sensitive, but not the same.

Intended use is doing what the Balance does best, including goofing off in the bike park and picking awful lines through chunky rock at high speed. What are your thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have the Ribbon Coil on order. Hope to get it in a few weeks. I went with MRP because their customer service is above and beyond. Currently riding a Stage a loving it. When the Stage needs an overhaul, I'm going to have them upgrade me to the new air spring and damper for a nominal fee. Furthermore, if your stanchions ever get damage, they can press on new ones for a reasonable price. Now who else does that?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have the MRP ribbon air and I am truly impressed with it. I had read good things and their customer service, responsiveness, and generally good vibe biker dudes helped decide to give it a go. It is so supportive mid stroke and works so well on aggressive terrain it is my new favorite player in the market. Coil would be a cool way to take that supple aspect up a couple notches so that is where my vote falls.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Buying a used 36 and putting a coil in it just doesn't sound like much fun. You'd still have to contend with the damper side being used, and you're going to end up in "new fork price" territory anyways. Might as well just buy an Ohlins 36 (I think it's the RXF?) for the same price.

Helm - eh, I've had enough of their rear shocks to say no thank you to the rest of their products. The Helm might be reliable or probably won't, but I'd give it at least a year to see.

My vote would be MRP coil or Ohlins 36.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i have a 170mm '15 Fox 36 and I picked up a really cheap 160mm pike rct3... Im bitten too by this coil fork bug...I might just get this push conversion I guess,, my jade is going to be Balanced!

mtbr member
    If it's a 2017 frame- go full DH.
    My favorite new setup, Push rear and DH fork front. The new "ONE"....
    [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Canfield-Brothers-Downhill-BikesC2-Components/163956136971393"]

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I have a 180m bike for that ; ).. tell us about your 2018 chainstay protectors !!
    18 Banshee ?
    16 Canfield Balance
    15 Banshee Darkside

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It's a 2016, and it still has to do duty on 30-mile rides. Otherwise the deals on the Mars 380 Ti look pretty killer.

Consensus seems to be the Ribbon Coil, which is where I've been leaning. For those on the Ribbon, does anyone 1) wish it was stiffer? or 2) miss an HSC dial?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    My 2017 Balance is just so much more fun at 160mm. The front wheel just gets too light at 170mm for any kind of XC riding.

For pure gravity riding? Sure, 170mm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    First, I hate all of you guys with Canfield brothers balances.

Second, any of you want to sell me your frame in size M in raw alu with blue links?

Greetings!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fromanm View Post
    First, I hate all of you guys with Canfield brothers balances.

Second, any of you want to sell me your frame in size M in raw alu with blue links?

Greetings!
    I have a black 2014 Balance M frame with green links that will be (is) for sale really soon.
    It's in Europe.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I have a black 2014 Balance M frame with green links that will be (is) for sale really soon.
    It's in Europe.
    Thanks mate, but I'm looking for a 2017 balance.

mtbr member
    Thanks mate, but I'm looking for a 2017 balance.
    K
    Good luck with the search.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    My 2017 Balance is just so much more fun at 160mm. The front wheel just gets too light at 170mm for any kind of XC riding.

For pure gravity riding? Sure, 170mm.
    What's the head angle at 160mm?

mtbr member
    65 dergrees

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    K
    Good luck with the search.
    I'll need it, I can't find it anywhere

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I'll need it, I can't find it anywhere

You could buy a different color and strip the anodizing from the linkage. Apparently this is possible, however you lose ~0.002" from the overall dimensions. I guess that would be okay but it would be something to discuss with the anodizing place.

How to safely remove anodized finish to aluminum parts?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    You could buy a different color and strip the anodizing from the linkage. Apparently this is possible, however you lose ~0.002" from the overall dimensions. I guess that would be okay but it would be something to discuss with the anodizing place.

How to safely remove anodized finish to aluminum parts?
    Really I don't care much about the colour, but I can't find it in any colour

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Really I don't care much about the colour, but I can't find it in any colour
    Depending on how much you wanna spend, and if you are in Europe (or are willing to have one shipped from there):

NEW '2017 Balance' - All Mountain / Enduro Mountain Bike Frame and Shock

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance w/o Shock Orange M size - Mad Elk Cycles

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Depending on how much you wanna spend, and if you are in Europe (or are willing to have one shipped from there):

NEW '2017 Balance' - All Mountain / Enduro Mountain Bike Frame and Shock

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance w/o Shock Orange M size - Mad Elk Cycles
    Wow, that's very expensive.
    On the cb page the frame and shock is for 1300usd (out of stock), on that webpage is 2750usd.
    I really want it, but... But...

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Wow, that's very expensive.
    On the cb page the frame and shock is for 1300usd (out of stock), on that webpage is 2750usd.
    I really want it, but... But...
    The problem is that it's almost 2018. Remember they are around $2099USD when new, and the $1300 price is end of stock. My final suggestion would just be to give them a call.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The problem is that it's almost 2018. Remember they are around $2099USD when new, and the $1300 price is end of stock. My final suggestion would just be to give them a call.
    I already did, they told me feb 2018, this will be a very sad Christmas

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I already did, they told me feb 2018, this will be a very sad Christmas
    You probably thought about it too much,, ; )... I wasted 4 months before pulling the trigger. ; ). Anyways, you might get a new CB frame with the new chainstay protector that is rumored around. . ; )
    18 Banshee ?
    16 Canfield Balance
    15 Banshee Darkside

mtbr member
    So, My dad has purchased his first frame to build up with my help. Got a close out 2016, no shock, black links, medium. He took whatever they might have had in medium. This is his second bike his other is a 2015 5010. Did I mention he is almost 65? I got him riding almost 2.5 years ago and he has progressed really well, despite a wreck leaving him with a broken collar bone. He couldnít wait to get back on the bike at least so I knew he got hooked.

Anyhow the build list, bike frame above, pics later when we finish the build with some in process pics too:

Shimano 1x11 XT drivetrain, 165mm XT cranks, with an XTR shifter
    Hope hubs and Stanís Flow rims
    Atlas carbon bars and 50mm stem
    Dropper yet to be determined, so for now just has a generic post
    160mm yari fork with Avalanche damper
    Avalanche woodie shock
    Zee brakes, 200/180 rotors

I will admit Iím pretty jealous after getting to see it in person this past week. I put his cranks and derailleur on, should have shock and fork next week. We can then wrap the build up when I get back down there or he comes up to see me where I am. Definitely pics then.
    2012 Yeti 575
    2013 Niner AIR 9
    2015 GG/DH
    Build in process 2017 Canfield Bro. Nimble 9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Troutinco View Post
    So, My dad has purchased his first frame to build up with my help. Got a close out 2016, no shock, black links, medium. He took whatever they might have had in medium. This is his second bike his other is a 2015 5010. Did I mention he is almost 65? I got him riding almost 2.5 years ago and he has progressed really well, despite a wreck leaving him with a broken collar bone. He couldnít wait to get back on the bike at least so I knew he got hooked.

Anyhow the build list, bike frame above, pics later when we finish the build with some in process pics too:

Avalanche woodie shock

I will admit Iím pretty jealous after getting to see it in person this past week. I put his cranks and derailleur on, should have shock and fork next week. We can then wrap the build up when I get back down there or he comes up to see me where I am. Definitely pics then.
    Hahaha, nice!
    I think i know where that frame came from.

mtbr member
    Hahaha, nice!
    I think i know where that frame came from.
    Yea must have been off in a corner of Canfield shop or something. He emailed at my urging and got a response that they had one in medium left so he took it. This was about 1 and a half months ago now. Steal of a deal at ~4.5k total for whole build; will handle anything he wants to do. Moab being on his list for next year.
    2012 Yeti 575
    2013 Niner AIR 9
    2015 GG/DH

mtbr member
    Dec 2015

My Playful Balance

Your Dad is not the only one to give in to this type of ''irresistible impulse'' because I too went to my LBS last year and bought a similar rig an XL. My steal of the deal is also close to 4.5 k, but it's worth it considering the pleasure she already has given me and all the pleasure to come
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-balance.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    [QUOTE=Troutinco;13433536]Yea must have been off in a corner of Canfield shop or something. He emailed at my urging and got a response that they had one in medium left so he took it. This was about 1 and a half months ago now. Steal of a deal at ~4.5k total for whole build; will handle anything he wants to do. Moab being on his list for next year.[/QUOT

Congrats on the bike for your dad. That's awesome to hear how excited he is about going to Moab. My buddy is around that age and nothing stops him. He and I got our Balances last year and love every single moment we're on it. He still does 6 feet drops and hangs with most of the fast boys at the bike park. This is as close to the fountain of youth as you can get.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottieM8 View Post
    This is as close to the fountain of youth as you can get.
    Amen to that. Thatís what got me going again 10 years ago, was it made me feel like a kid. My dad has mentioned the same feeling.
    2012 Yeti 575
    2013 Niner AIR 9
    2015 GG/DH

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I am not far from sixty and reading your post and that of ScottieMB I think it is wonderful what this sport can have as a benefit to the person who practices it
    Scottie is not wrong when he says it's the fountain of youth

mtbr member
    Yea must have been off in a corner of Canfield shop or something. He emailed at my urging and got a response that they had one in medium left so he took it. This was about 1 and a half months ago now. Steal of a deal at ~4.5k total for whole build; will handle anything he wants to do. Moab being on his list for next year.
    I bought one frame and got two, by mistake...
    I think i could have easily kept both, but i'm an honest guy so i contacted the bros and sent one back.
    I'm almost sure it's that one, so your dad kind of owes me one

mtbr member
    I bought one frame and got two, by mistake...
    I think i could have easily kept both, but i'm an honest guy so i contacted the bros and sent one back.
    I'm almost sure it's that one, so your dad kind of owes me one
    Ha ha! Was it a bare aluminum and black links? Probably was it if so, that's awesome! He is super excited to get it built up and get a voyage on her. Thanks for giving her back.
    2012 Yeti 575
    2013 Niner AIR 9
    2015 GG/DH

mtbr member
    Ha ha! Was it a bare aluminum and black links? Probably was it if so, that's awesome! He is super excited to get it built up and get a voyage on her. Thanks for giving her back.
    Sure. Raw with black links.
    I think those were the last two from 2016.
    I'm still waiting for mine to get here after crossing the Atlantic
    Last edited by BTTR; 11-27-2017 at 11:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Avalanche woodie shock

This build is not too dissimilar to the one I'll be putting together in a few weeks. I'm amping for it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2015

Upgrated

A small facelift for the beautiful lady, Air spring upgrated to Steal spring
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-img_9408.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CUCHI View Post
    A small facelift for the beautiful lady, Air spring upgrated to Steal spring
    Impressions on the coil vs air?

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I live in France and it's daytime and I'm still at work. when I go back home I give you my impressions
    cheers

mtbr member
    Cool.
    I'm on your side of the Atlantic too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I read a lot about it and I have some doc online if it interests someone after all, but here is what it's all about:

The spring shock has a linear progression which means that it will compress the same length when it is subjected to the same force exerted on its axis while the air shock has an exponential compression curve and it is the thermodynamic laws which applies. It is therefore necessary to double the incoming force each time you want to decrease by half its volume of air and nitrogen
    What must be remembered is that the frame rear triangle race will behave according to the type of damping
    This is why frame manufacturers usually design their suspension according to the type of shock they will choose
    In theory a frame is almost built around the shock it will receive, but that does not mean that you can not change the shock on your bike and this is where the shock's tuning takes its full dimension
    Depending on the type of suspension, the rear triangle of the frame will describe an arc that will move more or less quickly compared to the shock's axis race (the distance traveled by the axis )
    For a "progressive frame", if I'm not mistaken, the rear triangle will advance faster per centimeter traveled by the axis of the shock at the beginning of the compression than at the end of it. That is to say that the progression of the axis of the shock is not constant measured with respect to the development unit of the arc of the triangle. At the end of the race, the axis' move is slower inside the body of the shock than at the beginning of the stroke
    and if you have a coil shock it means that it will not fiercely resist the movement in the last centimeters of the arc whereas with an air shock the compression of the last centimeters will be much more supported
    There are two schools and you have to adapt but for that you have to know what kind of suspension your bike comes with (progressive or degressive). You can find out by calling the constructor
    For a degressive frame, the reverse happens and that means that the axis of the shock moves faster towards the end of the race of the triangle and doing that the shock is more compressed at the end than at the beginning and for an air shock, which is already harder to compress at the end of its race, it means that you will have a very strong damping force at the end of the race and that your bike will behave like a hard tail as soon as the shock reaches this limit of his race
    There is little bike with this type of suspension. The regressive type in general is reserved for the Free Style with successive hard landings.
    I think that the Balance has a slightly progressive suspension and with a coil shock I have to play on the settings. On my Coil Cane Creek I put a few turns of HSC to reinforce the resistance towards the end of the race, etc,
    I also put a few turns or HSR, some rebound to quickly get out of a depression and quickly restore the original position of the shock axis
    LSC and LSR settings are more used to manage small bumps and to make the bike more steady during pedaling but the Balance do not need a ton of this staff to pedal well, it does it naturally and that's why I did not need a Climb Switch on my Coil Cane Creek

My LBS was categorically opposed to changing to a coil but I prefer a coil shock. After all it's a question of tuning and there is less of a bunch on a coil than on an air shock but it is also heavier but the weight is not my obsession and it looks great!

Good reading

mtbr member
    I read a lot about it and I have some doc online if it interests someone after all, but here is what it's all about:

The spring shock has a linear progression which means that it will compress the same length when it is subjected to the same force exerted on its axis while the air shock has an exponential compression curve and it is the thermodynamic laws which applies. It is therefore necessary to double the incoming force each time you want to decrease by half its volume of air and nitrogen
    What must be remembered is that the frame rear triangle race will behave according to the type of damping
    This is why frame manufacturers usually design their suspension according to the type of shock they will choose
    In theory a frame is almost built around the shock it will receive, but that does not mean that you can not change the shock on your bike and this is where the shock's tuning takes its full dimension
    Depending on the type of suspension, the rear triangle of the frame will describe an arc that will move more or less quickly compared to the shock's axis race (the distance traveled by the axis )
    For a "progressive frame", if I'm not mistaken, the rear triangle will advance faster per centimeter traveled by the axis of the shock at the beginning of the compression than at the end of it. That is to say that the progression of the axis of the shock is not constant measured with respect to the development unit of the arc of the triangle. At the end of the race, the axis' move is slower inside the body of the shock than at the beginning of the stroke
    and if you have a coil shock it means that it will not fiercely resist the movement in the last centimeters of the arc whereas with an air shock the compression of the last centimeters will be much more supported
    There are two schools and you have to adapt but for that you have to know what kind of suspension your bike comes with (progressive or degressive). You can find out by calling the constructor
    For a degressive frame, the reverse happens and that means that the axis of the shock moves faster towards the end of the race of the triangle and doing that the shock is more compressed at the end than at the beginning and for an air shock, which is already harder to compress at the end of its race, it means that you will have a very strong damping force at the end of the race and that your bike will behave like a hard tail as soon as the shock reaches this limit of his race
    There is little bike with this type of suspension. The regressive type in general is reserved for the Free Style with successive hard landings.
    I think that the Balance has a slightly progressive suspension and with a coil shock I have to play on the settings. On my Coil Cane Creek I put a few turns of HSC to reinforce the resistance towards the end of the race, etc,
    I also put a few turns or HSR, some rebound to quickly get out of a depression and quickly restore the original position of the shock axis
    LSC and LSR settings are more used to manage small bumps and to make the bike more steady during pedaling but the Balance do not need a ton of this staff to pedal well, it does it naturally and that's why I did not need a Climb Switch on my Coil Cane Creek

My LBS was categorically opposed to changing to a coil but I prefer a coil shock. After all it's a question of tuning and there is less of a bunch on a coil than on an air shock but it is also heavier but the weight is not my obsession and it looks great!

Good reading
    Wow, you did your homework, haha
    But what asked and want to know is about your impressions about the riding, not the theoretical part of it.
    I mean what did you butt tells you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Firstly, as I said I prefer the steel material to the air and the great looking of the 'gas plant' as my LBS retains about the CCCB Coil shock and then there is less service

As for the sensations during the riding I would say that the coil is more splash and it perfectly completes the magic suspension of the Balance by connecting (marrying) the ground with more liveliness than the one I had before.For example, with a quarter turn + or - I feel the reaction change (more or less wallowing, more or less firmness and rebound) while with the air I would put more turns and I was never the master of that thing but maybe it comes from my bias
    Another possibility offered by the coil is that you can change the spring's rate
    for example I was advised for my weight and this bike to buy a spring rating 375
    it did not do the work at all because it was too flabby so I bought a spring rating 500 libra!!! it's a bit firm but putting fewer turns of the HSC it is great because the suspension is at both firm and supple
    with the air shock you can also put more air or decrease the volume of air but as I said the reaction will not be linear because it follows the laws of thermodynamics although manufacturers have made a lot of progress on this
    in the end it's a matter of personal choice and there are as I said two schools
    the proof is that I sold my brand new CCDB Air shock on Pinkbike for 275 euros and I bought a used CCDB Coil shock for 300 euros plus 40 euros for a new spring but I'm delighted to have done it

mtbr member
    Yeah, I was asking because i usually prefer coil shocks for the added plushness and traction. (A coil shock improved my Nomad 3 by 150% and i currently have an 11/6 on the Hightower. The Nomad 4 still has the stock shock and i'm undecided if i'll put an 11/6 on it (when it gets out) or a X2...)
    But on my 2014 Balance i tried two coil shocks, but always went back to the original CCDB Air...
    I know many have coil shocks on they're 2016 Balance's and it's LR is more progressive than the 2014, so i may put an 11/6 i have here on it or get it reconfigured for the N4 and keep the 2016 Balance air shocked.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Yeah, I was asking because i usually prefer coil shocks for the added plushness and traction. (A coil shock improved my Nomad 3 by 150% and i currently have an 11/6 on the Hightower. The Nomad 4 still has the stock shock and i'm undecided if i'll put an 11/6 on it (when it gets out) or a X2...)
    But on my 2014 Balance i tried two coil shocks, but always went back to the original CCDB Air...
    I know many have coil shocks on they're 2016 Balance's and it's LR is more progressive than the 2014, so i may put an 11/6 i have here on it or get it reconfigured for the N4 and keep the 2016 Balance air shocked.
    I have 2 wheelsets, and a DVO topaz and Jade for my balance.. almost 2 different bikes..
    IMHO Balance 2016/17 and Nomad 4 are completely overlapped...quite a collection of bikes you have Sir..
    18 Banshee ?
    16 Canfield Balance
    15 Banshee Darkside

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by luisgutierod View Post
    I have 2 wheelsets, and a DVO topaz and Jade for my balance.. almost 2 different bikes..
    IMHO Balance 2016/17 and Nomad 4 are completely overlapped...quite a collection of bikes you have Sir..
    Yeah, they overlap each other but surely ride differently.
    I had the N3 (it's gone now) and the 2014 Balance (still have it, but i'm selling the frame) at the same time and still appreciated the differences between them.
    I think i'll try the 11/6 on the 2016 Balance first and then decide what to do.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by luisgutierod View Post
    Warden Vs. Balance? Please do tell. I had this debate and still do since I can get a warden in plastic. You are so far the only person I have seen that has both. You can PM me if you would not like to air a public comparison.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Yeah, they overlap each other but surely ride differently.
    I had the N3 (it's gone now) and the 2014 Balance (still have it, but i'm selling the frame) at the same time and still appreciated the differences between them.
    I think i'll try the 11/6 on the 2016 Balance first and then decide what to do.
    All the BALANCES I saw in photos are equipped with an 11/6, none had like mine a CCDB Coil and besides Sean Gullup, the guy from Canfieldbrothers, told me they havn't never equipped their Balances with a CCDB Coil, but he told me that I could do it providing I make a good tuning
    I do not know the reason for that but I came across an article once but I do not have it on hand that said the 11/6 can do it best by catching some defects due to the fact that a frame was primarily designed for an Air Shock

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    All the BALANCES I saw in photos are equipped with an 11/6, none had like mine a CCDB Coil and besides Sean Gullup, the guy from Canfieldbrothers, told me they havn't never equipped their Balances with a CCDB Coil, but he told me that I could do it providing I make a good tuning
    I do not know the reason for that but I came across an article once but I do not have it on hand that said the 11/6 can do it best by catching some defects due to the fact that a frame was primarily designed for an Air Shock
    I'm not a suspension engineer. But IMHO Cane Creek shocks in general work better on bikes with more ramp up. So if you run one on a Canfield you have to fiddle with the compression for mid travel while letting high speed compression blow off. Since the leverage is more flat.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    thank you for the good advice and luckily that's exactly the conclusion (compression mid travel and HSC canceled) I arrived at by trial and error and blowing off the HSC has been more essential since I installed a spring that is 25 to 50 libra harder than what is recommended since I feel better with

mtbr member
    Do it-
    I raced my balance with a 8" fork and a 11/6 on the rear, all year.
    That shock is next level. All I ride now.

mtbr member
    Do it-
    I raced my balance with a 8" fork and a 11/6 on the rear, all year.
    That shock is next level. All I ride now.
    Thanks.
    Yeah i think i will do that and get a X2 for the N4

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Hey guys,

I have my Balance since one year, but one week ago the CCDBAir got some problems, the air is going from the possitiv in the negativ chamber (known problem on the CCDBAIR, changing the seal helps for one or 1 1/2 year, so the service point told me).

I'm not sure if I have to go with a Coil spring. One Idea was to get a EXT Storia LOK for it. What about other Coil shocks (11/6 is not a option)

Do you guys at CB have a table with the spring rate / riders weigth ?

I'm 220 at the moment. should be 198lbs in spring 2018.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flowing View Post

I'm not sure if I have to go with a Coil spring. One Idea was to get a EXT Storia LOK for it. What about other Coil shocks (11/6 is not a option)

Do you guys at CB have a table with the spring rate / riders weigth ?
    I had the same problem. Went off a really big drop and turned my DB air into a grenade. I went with the Ohlins TTX 22 M with about a 450lb coil and I may switch to a 480ish. I'm about 185 lbs so if I were you and I rode park and big hits I'd go with the 500lb spring or a little heavier. You have to call Ohlins USA to get them to set it up for you when you order it from them, but they'll dial it in for you based on your frame, size, weight and style of riding before they ship it. Just check the Canfield site for the correct measurements for the mounting hardware. The shock is awesome. Highly recommended. Name:  2016balance.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  77.5 KB

mtbr member
    Iíve got a mrp raze coil on my balance and its superb

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Hard to go wrong these days. I'm rockin' a Float X2 on my Balance and works very well for me. Same shock on my YT Tues and my previous rig, Devinci Spartan.

Professional Hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by bkirk View Post
    Hard to go wrong these days. I'm rockin' a Float X2 on my Balance and works very well for me. Same shock on my YT Tues and my previous rig, Devinci Spartan.
    bkirk, you didn't like the Topaz? How does the X2 compare?

I only have about 10 rides on my 2016 Balance that I built up this fall. But the Cane Creek DB Air CS is already having problems. There's a dead space in the travel when topped out. It's still ridable but I've experienced this before on another DB Air CS and it'll only get worse.

I thought the Topaz might be a cheap alternative. But it seems you've already ditched it for the X2?

When it was working properly, the air shock was perfectly adequate and already more plush than my Lyrik. The bike is already almost 33lbs so I wasn't very interested in switching to a coil.
    Work expands to fit the time allotted...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1171618 I just built mine up with a Float X2, set it up per Fox's reccomendations and haven't felt the need to tinker with anything except the volume spacers. First ride with no spacers the shock was bottoming out but I didn't feel it, shop buddies told me to use two volume spacers so I did, and couldn't be happier. My build is just over 30lbs, not too bad coming from a Mach 6 that weighed 27-28lbs, all parts swapped.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-055103d4-d955-4f8d-9750-e15fd5456a2c.jpg  

Last edited by borris; 12-10-2017 at 03:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus2405 View Post
    I use the OneUp Bash Guide. The fit's a little tight between the top guide and the swingarm stay - make sure to check through the travel range and rotate the guide appropriately. You'll also need to cut down/use a shorter bolt for the one tab.

ISGC05 of course.
    Coming back to this, I'm wondering if you used the spacers behind the backplate, or just put it straight on the tabs?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    @ Dirtybob: thy for your help.

I'm still waiting on e response from the CB guys to know which Spring rate to take...
    because the hardest EXT Spring is a 500lb.
    I'm using my Balance mostly for trailriding (enduro style) with long Donwhills in the swiss mountains.
    For parkriding and big stuff I have a Jedi =)

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    2016 Lower Link Axel/Bolts

I just replaced all the bearings on my 2016 frame. When installing the axels, one of them got a minor scratch. I checked canfieldís webstore and found that the front and rear axels are different... I was sure they werer exactly the same. (I know that the 2014/15 are different)
    Can someone confirm if those axels/bolts are different?

After installing the new bearings I can hear a light clicking sound while compressing the suspension... after checking everything I determined that the sound comes from the front axel of the lower link, if I loosen it the sound goes away. Does it make sense that I might have switched the bolts?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Coming back to this, I'm wondering if you used the spacers behind the backplate, or just put it straight on the tabs?
    I'd allow myself to answer here.

I just installed my MRP AMg V2 last weekend.

Initially I installed it without any washers, but the top bolt was touching the frame and I am afraid I could have bent the top hole, if I continued to tighten the bolt. Finally, I've used just a single washer for the top hole / bolt (1mm) and the short bolts from the package. I think I could switch to 2.5mm washers which were in the set.

Here are a few photos
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-24993553_1755661301111736_9160430219313340495_n.jpg  

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-24955542_1755661297778403_5181856992955160934_o.jpg  

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-24883502_1755666314444568_6623600574829915617_o.jpg  

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-24837358_1755661247778408_199475632046926483_o.jpg  

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by sancycling View Post

I just replaced all the bearings on my 2016 frame. When installing the axels, one of them got a minor scratch. I checked canfieldís webstore and found that the front and rear axels are different... I was sure they werer exactly the same. (I know that the 2014/15 are different)

After installing the new bearings I can hear a light clicking sound while compressing the suspension... after checking everything I determined that the sound comes from the front axel of the lower link, if I loosen it the sound goes away. Does it make sense that I might have switched the bolts?

Thanks
    I was reading this hoping to see you had found a answer. My riot does the same thing sometimes

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    I was reading this hoping to see you had found a answer. My riot does the same thing sometimes

I just regeases them and if I recall they are slightly different. Either lenght or threading.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Initially I installed it without any washers, but the top bolt was touching the frame and I am afraid I could have bent the top hole, if I continued to tighten the bolt. Finally, I've used just a single washer for the top hole / bolt (1mm) and the short bolts from the package. I think I could switch to 2.5mm washers which were in the set.

Here are a few photos
    Thanks for this. I actually got myself a replacement top bolt (8mm) that fits well without having to space it out. I was more concerned with the chain guide being so close to the frame. I just had another check, and it looks like the guide is actually touching the frame without the spacers, so I'll use them and hope it works!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Thanks
    Last night I disassembled the lower link to check for differences in the bolts/axels. I confirmed that both are exactly the same. I assembled back the link switching the position of the bolts no problem. But the clicking sound is still there.

One thing I noticed is that the surface where the front bearings make contact with the frame has a groove the size of the inner race of the bearing. I'm concerned that the groove is deep enough that now the seal can make contact with that surface, and that is no good. The rear bearings sit on the washers/spacers so this is not an issue.

Has anyone seen this? any ideas? I'm thinking of sanding/grinding the surface to make it flat and then use a very thin (0.3mm) stainless shim to avoid the bearing digging into the aluminium. Thoughts?

I'm with stupid
    Last night I disassembled the lower link to check for differences in the bolts/axels. I confirmed that both are exactly the same. I assembled back the link switching the position of the bolts no problem. But the clicking sound is still there.

One thing I noticed is that the surface where the front bearings make contact with the frame has a groove the size of the inner race of the bearing. I'm concerned that the groove is deep enough that now the seal can make contact with that surface, and that is no good. The rear bearings sit on the washers/spacers so this is not an issue.

Has anyone seen this? any ideas? I'm thinking of sanding/grinding the surface to make it flat and then use a very thin (0.3mm) stainless shim to avoid the bearing digging into the aluminium. Thoughts?
    I did the same thing on my Riot today everything is tight and greased. I did notice however if I flip my bike upside down and push on the frame in front of the bottom bracket (front triangle) I still get the same click noise so it is not in the suspension. So I pulled my headset, cleaned it out really well as grease and tighten. I know it's not the seat post since when the bike is right side up I'm pushing on the frame. It only clicks it the very top of travel then when I let off it clicks coming back. But nothing deeper in travel. I'm going to go over the frame this weekend with a fine tooth comb I'm starting to think I might have a crack that is clicking back and forth somewhere in my front triangle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The description you give of your riot is very similar to what I'm experiencing on my balance.
    I really hope it is not a crack causing the sound!!! But I'll also check the whole frame for cracks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Here are a few photos
    Thanks,

I have replaced the top bolt with a shorter one. I'm mostly concerned about how close the guide is to the frame, like 1mm out!

mtbr member
    My dad couldn't wait to come up to see me to finish his bike. So he took it to a local shop and they put the rest together that we didn't get to yet. No shake down run yet since it is raining where he is, trails are closed. Hopefully this weekend when they are up here we can get out. He did get a parking lot test of it and is super stoked to get it on trail now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-535666247.jpg  

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-535666650.jpg  

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-535668859.jpg  

2012 Yeti 575
    2013 Niner AIR 9
    2015 GG/DH

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Would love to hear his thoughts on the chubie? Or woodie?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonggi View Post
    Would love to hear his thoughts on the chubie? Or woodie?
    Woodie. I asked Craig which would be better in an email exchange with him. Woodie was recommended based on our email exchange on what my dad was after.
    He got the front damper done as well at the same time so, like my DH bike it should be dialed.
    When he gets some rides on it, I will get his thoughts and post up his impressions. He has already started planning our Moab trip for next year.
    2012 Yeti 575
    2013 Niner AIR 9
    2015 GG/DH

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Woodie. I asked Craig which would be better in an email exchange with him. Woodie was recommended based on our email exchange on what my dad was after.
    He got the front damper done as well at the same time so, like my DH bike it should be dialed.
    When he gets some rides on it, I will get his thoughts and post up his impressions. He has already started planning our Moab trip for next year.
    Lmao can I come?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    OOOOOO-
    AVY+Balance=Bliss

mtbr member
    OOOOOO-
    AVY+Balance=Bliss
    Yea I'm pretty jealous of his bike and build....Especially since my Bros bike is still in a box...
    I'm hoping he rides it till he is 100 before I get it. He is super stoked, no ride yet since his area is getting rained out still.
    2012 Yeti 575
    2013 Niner AIR 9
    2015 GG/DH

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Six months after I bought the frame, a broken hand and a separated shoulder later, my Balance is finally complete... just in time for the trails to be snowed out.

I've only had time to putter around in the alley behind my place, but it feels like it's gonna be a damn fun bike

mtbr member
    my Balance is finally complete... just in time for the trails to be snowed out.
    oh man I would cry. great thing about living in the cali bay area... still building and riding three days a week. that's a sweet rig though. and that seat is super comfy, but i couldn't use it until i got a revive dropper that would go all the way down to the frame... had trouble getting over the back of it on steeps. may your cabin fever lead to supreme stoke in the spring! you'll love the bike.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast