Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    well there she is built up. 2016 frame. Crappy pic.

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-balance2.jpg

transferred al my parts from my Warden, except the dropper.

This bike is plush and fast, just wants you to stay off the brakes..
    I have both the Topaz and a Jade... the Jade just puts this bike in DH plow mode...

pedals fantastic and I dont feel the 14.4 kg..
    braaap
    Last edited by luisgutierod; 05-05-2017 at 05:24 PM. Reason: upside down pic

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I would be very interested to hear how the Balance compares with your Warden at climbing and descending. Do they feel quite different?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooks View Post
    I would be very interested to hear how the Balance compares with your Warden at climbing and descending. Do they feel quite different?
    Skooks, they are very different. The Warden climbs differently, way more active if not using climb switch (on DB Air) and has a lot of traction. If the climbing is not that technical the Balance seem to be more efficient, it has traction being active but there ir more feedback and support. In flattish sections the Balance seems to keep a little bit more momentum.
    Going Downhill, well I'm biased now 'cause I did a 3 stage race with the Balance + Jade combo and I felt I was on a DH bike... I never used a coil shock on the warden but the balance is definitively more plush in ~75% of the travel.. The Warden I like to call it the trail bike for the big hits because its way more progressive, I feel its plush and stiff, a lot of traction and you notice the very low pedal kickback, but somehow it gets a little bit hung up on succesive medium hits. I honestly think that the Warden its a super fun bike, may be not a race bike.

I'm with stupid
    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-uploadfromtaptalk1494118533709.jpg

Interesting new tire combo to try. A 2.3 aggressor rear and a highroller 2 2.8 ( really a 2.6) feels a bit bouncy. But I do love the feeling of the highroller tread pattern.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hitechredneck; 05-06-2017 at 11:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Interesting, thanks for that. I have never ridden a.balance but it definitely interests me and I think it would suit my style of riding pretty well. I don't race much but I do a lot of technical climbing and descending so my Warden works very well for me. Like you said, it's a very fun bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I dont race much either... races are a good excuse to stay out and spend more time on the bike.

Professional Noob
    My Jekyll frame didn't sell. No Balance for me :'(
    => CannondaleExperts.com <=
    All the parts and accessories your Cannondale ever needs

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Jekylls are bikes that will stay with you forever.... ; )

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by luisgutierod View Post
    Jekylls are bikes that will stay with you forever.... ; )
    That was cold...but made me chuckle.

Eicca, get the Balance, you won't regret it. I usually replace my bikes every two years to try to find something better or different. My Balance is the best bike in my 20 plus years of riding. It is the Goldilocks of all bikes, climbs amazing well and descends likes a beast. Brings a smile everytime I ride it.

Professional Noob
    It's that damn DYAD. Nobody seems to want it.

My Jekyll works great but it's just one frame size too big and hurting my neck. Unfortunately I can't buy a Balance if the Jekyll doesn't sell.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Sizing up my Balance purchase! Debating between the Topaz and the Jade. I'll ride a bit of park with this bike but will do way more pedally trails. From what I've read, the topaz is much more plush and smooth than the CCDB. I weigh 165, 170 with gear. How would you all compare the feel of the ride with the topaz vs the jade? Is Jade worth the extra weight? I don't have much coil experience...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Love my '16 Balance! I've spent probably 90% of the last two years on a hardtail so the transition was awkward in an awesome way. Everything does feel slower and not so scary, but the Strava times say otherwise, even on the climbs. Unbelievable ride going up and down. I jumped back on my hardtail and hit the same lines going down and felt like pooping myself.

Unbelievable pedaling performance even with a coil. I put the Push in DH/squishee mode and it was amazing how little to no pedaling feedback there was. Probably the biggest area I noticed a difference is short climbs in the middle of a downhill trail. My old Yeti SB66 required so much effort and bounced around from the pedaling. Canfield, nothing but a couple of efficient pedal strokes to get to the top.

Downsides? Makes going fast feel slow, my hardtail feels somewhat useless now, I have to learn proper bunny-hopping technique, and it doesn't come with a gearbox (I'm a big gearbox fan).

It's also fun to watch your friends reactions in the parking lot as you pedal around and they see zero pedal bob. My buddy said the best thing. "I want to make fun of it so bad, but its too awesome!"
    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-balance.jpg
    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-fullsizerender.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Fart, I don't know how to delete a post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-balance.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    SB666 I would get the Jade with an SLS or VALT spring... This thing pedals fantastic. I have both shocks and the Topaz rides a little bit better on trails with ups & downs/ flattish sections. For climbing tot he top and going down, jade wins, just cranking up LSC and couple preload turns.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    SB666 I would get the Jade with an SLS or VALT spring... This thing pedals fantastic. I have both shocks and the Topaz rides a little bit better on trails with ups & downs/ flattish sections. For climbing tot he top and going down, jade wins, just cranking up LSC and couple preload turns.
    Thanks! If you could go with just one, would it be the jade? I definitely ride a variety of terrain, not all straight climb to descent...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Can anybody with a size small frame tell me what the max seatpost insert is? I am trying to see whether I can fit a 150mm dropper. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lacanuck24 View Post
    My buddy said the best thing. "I want to make fun of it so bad, but its too awesome!"
    I can't see anything on that bike to make fun of. That build is legit!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    exactly! but wait, do not underestimate all-carbon-enduro-boost-crowd...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    SB666 tough call man.. some people just suck it up with a Jade, some people will just go all in with an 11-6 (which I have not tried, and did not even consider $$$), regardless, Topaz is a very safe option.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I'm going with the Jade. Thanks man!

I'm just shy of 5'7 and leaning towards going with a size small... curious whether anyone here is in my height range and what size you guys went with?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by SB666 View Post

I'm just shy of 5'7 and leaning towards going with a size small... curious whether anyone here is in my height range and what size you guys went with?
    Sizing is very subjective. If you want a playful bike, then maybe a small is good for your height. In the past people would size up since reach and wheelbase was smaller. The new crop of bikes are longer including The Balance. I'm 5'9" and ride a medium Balance and it feels playful and stable. My buddy is the same height and rides the exact bike I have. We use to go a size larger in the past to not feel so cramped, not the case with our Balances. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottieM8 View Post
    Sizing is very subjective. If you want a playful bike, then maybe a small is good for your height. In the past people would size up since reach and wheelbase was smaller. The new crop of bikes are longer including The Balance. I'm 5'9" and ride a medium Balance and it feels playful and stable. My buddy is the same height and rides the exact bike I have. We use to go a size larger in the past to not feel so cramped, not the case with our Balances. Hope that helps.
    That does help. Feels like small is the right call. Thanks man!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Specialized Slaughter, Purgatory in 2.6 size on Balance

I've always loved the Slaughter, Purgatory and Butcher treads from Specialized (in Grid casing). Has anyone tried the new 2.6 size on the Balance 2016 or 2017? Thinking of changing from Schwalbe 2.35s but unsure of clearance on the rear. Many thanks!
    -C.O.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    What sort of adapter do I need to run 180mm discs on the 2016 Balance frame?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    What sort of adapter do I need to run 180mm discs on the 2016 Balance frame?
    You need IS to PM adapter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks man! Just found one in my parts bin.

SB66 is sold and Balance is going to ship out my way today! Do I need to change my username now?

squish, squish in da fish
    Yes maybe go for sb66_no_mo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Oldschool View Post
    I've always loved the Slaughter, Purgatory and Butcher treads from Specialized (in Grid casing). Has anyone tried the new 2.6 size on the Balance 2016 or 2017? Thinking of changing from Schwalbe 2.35s but unsure of clearance on the rear. Many thanks!
    -C.O.
    Use the WTB Bonsons in 2.8 on 30mm Nox rims and clearance is good. The tires measure up to a hair over 2.6 on these rims and there's a solid 1/4 + clearance to the stays

mtbr member
    Dec 2015

A New 2017 XL Balance

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyD82 View Post
    Hi All,

First time posting here. Thought I would put up a pic of a 2016 Balance I just built up. Weather has prevented me from taking it out yet. I'm pumped to give it a go.
    "Hi folks,

I don't know if you believe in fairytales, I now do. Here's what happened to me, I'll leave you to judge for yourself.
    In december 2015, I bought a Canfield brothers Balance, size L, since I'am 1,83 tall. Just after that , I was immobilized
    because of health issues.

I'm back this year (get back on the bike) I decided to start riding again and therefore finished building the Balance
    I was surprised to realize, after just 2 rides, that the frame was a bit short for me, due to my inseam-89cm-I was leaning way too forward in the steep slopes, despite a 50 cm stem

I was desperate, I thought about giving up riding altogether, because I knew I couldn't afford a knew frame, not even if I sold mine

The same night, I wrote an e-mail to Sean Gollub, Canfield brothers after sales service manager, to explain the problem and seek for his advice

He immediately replied-not giving any second thoughts about it- that he'd replace the 2015 size L frame with an XL frame from 2017-a brand new one!-and give me a major discount on the shock too-also a new one

I knew about Canfield brothers after-sales service being renowned but the way they handled my request went beyond anything I expected

You'll find their e-mail attached below.
    They have great bikes and they're fantastic people"

"Pia-

Thank you so much for the kind words! This is my favorite part of my job! Helping others!!!! It really is my calling in life and I always want to lend a hand where I can. On top of that, we are ALL bike riders. We know the expense of this sport and we do not take it lightly for our customers too! At the end of the day we just want everyone to have fun, smile and tell their friends how much they love their Canfield!!! We greatly appreciate your support.

Please keep me in the loop with any questions! We are always here for you and your husband!

Thank you Pia!!!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by CUCHI View Post
    "Hi folks,

I don't know if you believe in fairytales, I now do. Here's what happened to me, I'll leave you to judge for yourself.
    In december 2015, I bought a Canfield brothers Balance, size L, since I'am 1,83 tall. Just after that , I was immobilized

I'm back this year (get back on the bike) I decided to start riding again and therefore finished building the Balance
    I was surprised to realize, after just 2 rides, that the frame was a bit short for me, due to my inseam-89cm-I was leaning way too forward in the steep slopes, despite a 50 cm stem

I was desperate, I thought about giving up riding altogether, because I knew I couldn't afford a knew frame, not even if I sold mine

The same night, I wrote an e-mail to Sean Gollub, Canfield brothers after sales service manager, to explain the problem and seek for his advice

He immediately replied-not giving any second thoughts about it- that he'd replace the 2015 size L frame with an XL frame from 2017-a brand new one!-and give me a major discount on the shock too-also a new one

I knew about Canfield brothers after-sales service being renowned but the way they handled my request went beyond anything I expected

"Pia-

Thank you so much for the kind words! This is my favorite part of my job! Helping others!!!! It really is my calling in life and I always want to lend a hand where I can. On top of that, we are ALL bike riders. We know the expense of this sport and we do not take it lightly for our customers too! At the end of the day we just want everyone to have fun, smile and tell their friends how much they love their Canfield!!! We greatly appreciate your support.

Please keep me in the loop with any questions! We are always here for you and your husband!

Thank you Pia!!!"
    f&*ing awesome. this is one of the reasons why we would stick to Canfield..

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Oldschool View Post
    -C.O.
    Yes it fits just fine. I had the 2.6 slaughter on the rear for a bit before I put the minion 2.5s back on for the DH park.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Sean is awesome. Ordered 2 frames within a few months of each other, one for me and the other for my friend. Getting any type of customer service is difficult these days, nonetheless, good service. Canfield is one of the best IMO. Another buddy of mine is thinking about ordering one, and that will be three of us on Canfields amongst seven guys in our group if he ponies up for one. I'm even thinking about a second one myself.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    anyone know the size of the pivot bearings? I am ordering some drifts for my other bike and don't need new bearings yet, but was going to order the drifts for the balance as well as long as at it. thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2015

"
    Hi,
    When your are between 2 sizes you have to choose an S+ or an M- but with Canfield do not worry if you make a mistake on size. I live in France and I have a Balance

He immediately replied-not giving any second thoughts about it- that he'd replace the 2015 size L frame with an XL frame from 2017-a brand new one!-and give me a major discount on the shock too- a new DVO Jade

"Pia-

Thank you Pia!!!"

May contain nuts
    That sort of "way beyond the expected" experience is the best form of marketing...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    For those here that picked up a DVO Jade, did you find it very difficult to install the coil on the shock? With the preload ring backed all the way out, I am still having a ton of trouble. I know is it super difficult to remove as well, once it is installed?

Not a Balance specific question but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    For those here that picked up a DVO Jade, did you find it very difficult to install the coil on the shock? With the preload ring backed all the way out, I am still having a ton of trouble. I know is it super difficult to remove as well, once it is installed?

Not a Balance specific question but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here.

Thanks!
    I have been in that situation, not with this Jade because I had a CC Valt spring to mount. I managed to slightly compress the spring with a bike stand clamp (the rubber on the clamp protects the spring) and insert the back retainer...cheers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks Luis!

Another question for all with the Jade - what is your geared up weight and what spring rate coil did you end up with? I am thinking to just go straight to the VALT. I am 170-175 geared up and am debating between 400 and 450 spring rate

I'm with stupid
    Im 175 not geared and run a 450 with my double barrel coil. it is nice and plush.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Im 175 not geared and run a 450 with my double barrel coil. it is nice and plush.
    Thanks for chiming in! I heard back from DVO and they said 450-500 depending on how aggressive I am. Leaning towards 450 being the safer bet - I am not sending Crab Apple size jumps

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Thanks Luis!

Another question for all with the Jade - what is your geared up weight and what spring rate coil did you end up with? I am thinking to just go straight to the VALT. I am 170-175 geared up and am debating between 400 and 450 spring rate
    The Valt is VERY light for what you are paying... note that you need the spring clip adapter from canecreek to use this sprng on your DVO.
    https://www.bike-components.de/en/Ca...ersal-o200001/

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The Valt is VERY light for what you are paying... note that you need the spring clip adapter from canecreek to use this sprng on your DVO.
    https://www.bike-components.de/en/Ca...ersal-o200001/
    Thanks so much for pointing this out!

mtbr member
    Thanks Luis!

At maybe 165 lbs geared up a 500 lb spring feels great to me. Thought a 450 would be better based on recommended website specs, but can't imagine using anything less than the 500. I do like to jump as much as possible, but even standard trail riding feels great with the 500...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey j View Post
    At maybe 165 lbs geared up a 500 lb spring feels great to me. Thought a 450 would be better based on recommended website specs, but can't imagine using anything less than the 500. I do like to jump as much as possible, but even standard trail riding feels great with the 500...
    Thanks for chiming in. I'm gonna start at 450 for now, maybe give the 500 a shot next. I do like to hit jumps a lot as well, maybe some high speed compression along with the 450 will feel good

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Pretty sure I just seriously F-ed my frame. I don't know if I've ever been more pissed at myself. Tightening the bashguard on and it was a little difficult to tighten, then I noticed why... is the crack in the bash mount weld going to lead to the BB weld cracking??? I emailed Canfield but not feeling too good about it.

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-img_0676.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Pretty sure I just seriously F-ed my frame. I don't know if I've ever been more pissed at myself. Tightening the bashguard on and it was a little difficult to tighten, then I noticed why... is the crack in the bash mount weld going to lead to the BB weld cracking??? I emailed Canfield but not feeling too good about it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0676.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	1141649
    Was that upper bash bolt too long? That's what it looks like from the picture. Did the bolts come with the guard?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_CLG View Post
    Was that upper bash bolt too long? That's what it looks like form the picture. Did the bolts come with the guard?
    Yes and yes.

Canfield Brothers
    The guide comes with both long and short, short bolts are the ones to use guys.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike View Post
    The guide comes with both long and short, short bolts are the ones to use guys.
    Is my frame toast in your opinion? Or am I okay to ride? Of course will not be using the ISCG any longer.

mtbr member
    So I just ordered a 2016 frame. Also bought a ridiculously cheap Yari, too. Now I just need to sell some stuff to fund the rest of the build. It won't be pretty this season but it will be ride-able.

I'm with stupid
    You will love it, pretty or not!

mtbr member
    I am sure I will!! I just mean I am going to have to piece it together for a season while I get through my last year of college. But after that the Yari get the Avalanche cartridge to match the Jade!

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    So I just ordered a 2016 frame. Also bought a ridiculously cheap Yari, too. Now I just need to sell some stuff to fund the rest of the build. It won't be pretty this season but it will be ride-able.
    I drove down on Friday and picked up the last small 2016 frame. Getting parts together now and I. AM. AMPING!!!

Also, I must add that my experience with Sean was second to none! He is immensely passionate about the Canfield products, super enthusiastic, and willing to help out however he can - I can't imagine better customer service. I kinda didn't want to leave

I'm with stupid
    I wish they were close enough I could go stop by and meet everyone. Hell maybe talk them all into letting me tag along for a lunch ride. #dreamridewiththebros

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarescu View Post
    I drove down on Friday and picked up the last small 2016 frame. Getting parts together now and I. AM. AMPING!!!

Also, I must add that my experience with Sean was second to none! He is immensely passionate about the Canfield products, super enthusiastic, and willing to help out however he can - I can't imagine better customer service. I kinda didn't want to leave
    Yes, I called and Sean got back to me in about 20 minutes. He took the time to go over my questions about the differences between the '16 and '17 Balance and the Riot, fork and shock choices and he answered my questions about riding 27.5+ on his Nimble 9 because I am thinking about trying it on my Honzo. We probably spoke for about 15 minutes and it only made the choice to buy a Balance that much easier. I can't wait to ride it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Haha. I always feel like I hang out too long when I swing by their place. Sean is a busy guy.

Your going to love this bike. After thrashing mine hard for a year I still am totally stoked on it. Usually after a year I have a list of complaints about my ride and I'm starting to look around. Not the case with the Balance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Any ideas about stem length?

I'm 5' 5.5" on a small. I like the idea of 35mm (mostly because it looks grunty) but I've only ever run 50mm before - on my current 2012 Range and 2013 Aurum. I'm worried it'll be a touch too short.

mtbr member
    For reference: I'm 6'-0 tall and have large frames. I run a 50mm Thomson X4 stem on my Riot & a 40mm on my Balance. Works for me, not sure if that helps?

mtbr member
    I am going to start with a 50mm on my medium but I also have a 40mm if needed. 5'9" for reference.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Thanks guys. I had a chat to Sean about Vin's (same frame and height) and he's on a 50mm, so I think I'll start there.

I'm with stupid
    I run a 50mm on both my balance and riot.

mtbr member
    It here!!!

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-beginning.jpg

But I get can't get the coil on the shock. The top of the coil sits where the spring retainer is supposed to go. I tried using the retainer as a lever but that spring won't budge! Any suggestions?

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-jade.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I asked Sean about the stock jade coil and he ageed that it's extremely difficult to get on by yourself, definitely a 2 man job. I was pretty sure about my spring rate so I just went ahead and bought a cane creek valt spring which is almost half the weight and a good inch shorter overall. Way easy to install. You will need an adapter spacer to make the coil work with the Jade, however.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Zipties to compress the spring...will probably take a whole bunch, but it works.

mtbr member
    Thanks Glenn! I have a bunch of 3' zipties.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Does this mean the Jade is preloaded even when the preload collar is fully backed off?

mtbr member
    blew my db air and my canfield wheels at the same time. when it rains it pours. just dove in for some upgrades and toasted the summer budget with an ohlins and some enves, but man... stoked. posted about the wheels in my messenger group with the crew i ride with, and since they all ride carbon frames, while they were stoked for me, of course one of them had to quip, "now you just need a carbon frame!"

My reply: "when the bros have a carbon Balance or 160 Toir!"

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-balanceupgrade.jpg

mtbr member
    Does this mean the Jade is preloaded even when the preload collar is fully backed off?
    It wasn't preloaded with the collar fully backed off. There was just no room to seat it with the coil fully extended slightly above the shaft. The zip ties worked great! Thanks Glenn! Glad I have been carting them around for 9 years.

My dog is wondering where the rest of the parts are, too.

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-missing-parts.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Awesome upgrades dirty bob. Congrats On the new bike BCW. I've been on my Balance for a year and love every moment of it. I ride in mostly rocky terrain so the aluminum frame is a much welcoming change coming from two carbon frames. Every time you lay down a carbon frame it scratches. My buddy's carbon frame is all gouged up from fairly mellow crashes and one gouge is from laying it over on a techy climb. Ive ridden my Balance hard and it looks unscathed. I have the raw finish, which I love btw, polishes up nice!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016

FS: 2016 Balance frame + shock

Large 2016 Canfield Brothers Balance frame + shock. Raw with red links. (FRAME AND SHOCK ONLY. Complete build pics included so you know how she cleans up!)

Includes brand-new Cane Creek DB Air rear shock, Cane Creek 40 series headset installed and AM Style clear frame protectors on downtube and rubberized tape protecting drive side chainstay.

Frame ridden less than one full season. No bike park abuse since I also have a Jedi. Only selling to upgrade to an XL.

$1,300

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-unnamed.jpg
    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-sideview.jpg
    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-downtube.jpgCanfield Brothers 2016 Balance-shock.jpg
    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-tag.jpgCanfield Brothers 2016 Balance-2016-canfield-brothers-balance-1.jpg
    Last edited by Don_1138; 07-17-2017 at 02:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Wow, this bike is amazing! I briefly switched from an Ibis Mojo SL to an HDR, before deciding to go all the way to the Canfield Balance and it was definitely the right choice. Climbs about the same as the HDR with only a couple more pounds weighing in at 32.7 lbs.

Downhill performance feels better than when I've rented downhill bikes at Mammoth, although that was a while ago and different trails so hard to be certain.

The difference between the Balance and HDR is probably bigger than the difference between the HDR and SL. I was going much faster.

Bike photos:
    https://imgur.com/a/MaRaD

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    What is the consensus on running a chain guide, bash taco, or combo? I'm building my Balance using a XT 1x11 that was previously on my Range. I've had zero chains come off on the Range, riding it on Vancouver's North Shore. I like the look of a bike without one, but is it recommended? I imagine the BB is lower so there is more chance for chainring smashage.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    What is the consensus on running a chain guide, bash taco, or combo? I'm building my Balance using a XT 1x11 that was previously on my Range. I've had zero chains come off on the Range, riding it on Vancouver's North Shore. I like the look of a bike without one, but is it recommended? I imagine the BB is lower so there is more chance for chainring smashage.
    Personally, I would never run any bike without a bash taco at the bare minimum. I also like the top guide, even with a NW ring.

The bottom pulley I have decided to ditch on most builds, even considering getting rid of it on my Jedi and going with just a simple taco bash.

mtbr member
    I don't run one, I have had no issues ever dropping a chain. I used to run XT, with that I never used a chain guide. Go ride and if you drop the chain then put one on.

mtbr member
    I only use an MRP bash guard, have yet to drop a chain. Sram XO1 derailleur with absoluteBlack oval ring.

mtbr member

I've never ridden a bash guard in 25 years of mountain biking (and do ride the gnar) and go back and forth with a top side chain guide. Seems I always hope a new setup on a new rig will keep me from dropping chains, but even with narrow-wide chainring I eventually do. Just dropped two chains in the space of a month and decided to put the guide on again. If you're going fast enough over teeth-rattling stuff, or doing quick reverse pedals through chicanes, it'll come off eventually. Not really that big a deal. Just hate to have to interrupt the flow of a dh to put a chain back on! Have fun!

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    At this point I think I'll leave it off - it's already cost too much money as it is! If I'm feeling the consequences, bashing chainrings and/or losing chains, I'll grab one. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Really depends on what you're riding.

I'm running one because of the trails I run the bike on the most. Taco blade has already saved me a chainring when i picked a bad line one day. The top guide I run will come off if I'm planning to do more of a pedally day.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    After getting the balance last winter, finally getting a chance to get it out there on trails it deserves! Northstar had a late start this year with all the snow. Super impressed with the bikes ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie10 View Post
    After getting the balance last winter, finally getting a chance to get it out there on trails it deserves! Northstar had a late start this year with all the snow. Super impressed with the bikes ability.
    Big daddy on boondocks! Love that drop! I just sacked up and rode the boulder to wood section in the far corner for the first time on my last journey. Place stokes me.

And yeah... Every time I visit that park I think "Wow! My Balance can do that too?" Just the ultimate rig.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Has anyone used the OneUp Bash Guide? I'm liking the look of its minimalism and have heard good things - just that I have also read other things about some guides not working well on the Balance. Cheers!

Also please post more pics of your bikes people! I'm sitting here on week 7 of a healing broken scaphoid, right hand still in cast, and everything I need to put my Balance together sitting in a box in the closet - all brand new but fully disassembled. It's taunting me!

mtbr member
    Here you go
    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-balance.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Niiiice! Living the PUSH dream? My closet contains a wheelset with Flows.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Right after I ejected over the bars in the switch back. The panorama picture doesn't even come close to showing how steep and loose the trail was.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hey guys, finally getting back to riding after recovering from 3 surgeries since last October.

Got a question...I switched my stem from a 35mm to a 50mm and now my fork seems to perform much better. Is this just in my head?

I'm running a MRP Stage at 170mm and to be honest it hasn't seemed to do well over the small chatter bumps at higher speeds compared to the Pike on my Riot and EPO regardless of my settings and running lower than recommended air. On everything else like medium hits, large hits, etc it has been really good but seems the fork is a little hesitant to start movement on the chatter. Well since I put the 50mm stem on it seems to respond better than it did with the 35mm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Is the sag the same with both stems and the same air pressure?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I will need to check the sag but air pressure is the same. I run 35mm stem and 800mm bars on all my bikes and really liked this setup but I think I'll keep the 50mm on the Balance for a bit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    The 50mm will put more weight over the front, so you're potentially at lower sag with the same air pressure. Although, I'm not sure how much difference it could really be.

mtbr member
    It's finally built. I can't wait to ride it now. I went a small trail in town, it seems like it will be fast, really fast.
    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-here.jpg

squish, squish in da fish
    nice whip. when you give a ride report please comment on the rims. i'm about to possibly pull the trigger on those. they are the 345's, right?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I've left the bashguard for a later moment for my build, and that moment has arrived - for sure I'd be running MRP's AMg V2 (I've tested a few others which came out to be not compatible with the frame).

Can somebody with a 2017 Balance frame confirm for me the AMg bashguard standard I'd need? I read it is ISCG 05, but in some posts I've found people might actually be running the old ISCG.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Yes it is ISG05

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I use the OneUp Bash Guide. The fit's a little tight between the top guide and the swingarm stay - make sure to check through the travel range and rotate the guide appropriately. You'll also need to cut down/use a shorter bolt for the one tab.

ISGC05 of course.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I also use the OneUp Bash Guide. Lazarus2405 is spot on. I picked up a used Balance and it came with the OneUp top guide, but I changed it out because I need the peace of mind with a bash. The previous owner/installer of the top guide has screwed the one bolt into the frame that was clearly too long. One of the tabs (top tab) is slightly bent back. I was able to line everything up properly and the OneUp Bash Guide is working very well! Almost bought the MRP AMG V2 but did not see a need to spend that much more money.

mtbr member
    Just joined the 2016 Balance club as i just pulled the trigger on an M raw frame.
    This will substitute my 2014 black Balance frame.
    I just couldn't resist the blowout sale....

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus2405 View Post
    I use the OneUp Bash Guide. The fit's a little tight between the top guide and the swingarm stay - make sure to check through the travel range and rotate the guide appropriately. You'll also need to cut down/use a shorter bolt for the one tab.

ISGC05 of course.
    Can you tell me the size of the replacement bolt you used was? I have the OneUp Bash Guide ready to go for my build and would like to sort this out before it becomes an issue!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Can you tell me the size of the replacement bolt you used was? I have the OneUp Bash Guide ready to go for my build and would like to sort this out before it becomes an issue!
    I used the bolts it came with. The top tab is where the bolts it comes with becomes as issue. I used all the stock hardware, but I just used washers on the chainguide side to take up the unneeded extra bolt length. Using a shorter properly size bolt would be the best practice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bkirk View Post
    I used the bolts it came with. The top tab is where the bolts it comes with becomes as issue. I used all the stock hardware, but I just used washers on the chainguide side to take up the unneeded extra bolt length. Using a shorter properly size bolt would be the best practice.
    How much length do you think you took up with the washers?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    How much length do you think you took up with the washers?
    Not much. It is about 4 or 5 mm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Thanks!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast