Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by waveslayer View Post
    I'm pushing a 30t. Love it. But recently I just mounted some new LB 38mm wheels. I feel, could be just me I need a tad more help. Was thinking of going 28t now. Just to try it. If not I can go back to my 30.

I have a lot of steep climbs where I ride and the extra help, helps!

My wife thinks I have only 3 guns
    Enjoy the LBs! I had them on my evil and they are now on a steel hardtail and are ridiculously bombproof.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by adrennan View Post
    All this talk about chain rings, normally a suspension is optimized around a certain ring size. Anyone know what that might be on the balance? or does the black magic in those links not care what size ring? I am pushing a 32, a bit lower gear would be nice. thinking a 30.
    Yes, this is correct—and also why the oval rings aren't necessarily the best idea on multi-link full suspension rigs.

The CBF suspension on the Balance and Riot are optimized for 30t - 32t rings. Smaller rings up front will give you slightly more anti-squat/firmer pedaling, but this will be more noticeable in the low end of the rear cassette than the high granny gear.

mtbr member
    This is my first Canfield but I cannot feel any drawbacks to the suspension running my absolute black oval 26 ring. A lot of climbing in my area and the 26 is working for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    My Balance frame arrived a few days ago and slowly building it up. Going to swap over some parts from my Banshee Rune. This thing is beautiful! Sean and Vin at Canfield Bros were awesome. Calls always answered and email response was instant, can't say that with a lot of companies out there.Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-canfield.jpg

mtbr member
    I am in love with the balance. Such a nicer ride than the sb6c. I think it looks better to. I definitely feel the slack 65 degree head tube angle but have since gotten used it by putting the seat forward a bit more. I kinda sped up the hsr from the stock setting the ccdb. What are your guys' setting on the ccdb? Sorry for the shitty pic. I'll get a close up tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-20160428_092831.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    So, I've decided the Balance is going to be my next bike, but I'm not sure what size. I'm 5'10.5" and fall right between a medium or large frame. I have a medium EPO and that feels great, but I don't want to feel too cramped on the Balance since I'll be pedaling this bike a lot. Has anyone else been in the same boat?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scraggles View Post
    So, I've decided the Balance is going to be my next bike, but I'm not sure what size. I'm 5'10.5" and fall right between a medium or large frame. I have a medium EPO and that feels great, but I don't want to feel too cramped on the Balance since I'll be pedaling this bike a lot. Has anyone else been in the same boat?
    I'm your height and have a medium with a 60mm stem and 780 Enve DH bars. Fit is great for me.

mtbr member
    Or the large with a 40mm stem.
    really depends on the stem preference.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Scraggles View Post
    I'm also 5'10". I ride a size M with 50mm stem and 800mm bars. I really like the fit, the 2016 geometry is longer than the previews versio and the fit is great for me. I've ridden the L but feel it is way too big, I could not see myself riding it even with a 35-40mm stem.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Balance built up with new and old parts. Ridden it 3 times and I'm just blown away on how it handles. Climbs better than any bike I have owned in the past and that includes DW link carbon bikes. The Balance descends with complete confidence. The geometry is spot on for me. Needless to say, I'm in love with this bike!
    Build as follows:

New parts: XT brakes, Sram XO 10sp gripshift, X9 10sp rear der, XT cranks 170mm arms, OneUp oval ring, XT cassette with 42 Wooftooth cog, DBAir shock, Crank Bros Mallet 2 pedals.

Swapped over from Rune: Xfusion Sweep RL2 fork, also have MRP Stage that I will use, 40mm Holzfeller stem, 740 Haven carbon bars, Gravity Dropper turbo 5" drop, Project 321 hubs with Stan's Arch rims for the rear, Easton Heist 30mm internal rims on front. Total weight is 31 pounds. Climbs like a 26 pound bike though and descends like a beast!
    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-canfield-complete.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

My 2016 Balance build and initial impressions

So I have a few rides on my 2016 Balance and it's even better than I imagined. Build described below:

- Industry 9 hubs & spokes with NOX Farlow carbon rims (~1600 grams)
    - Magic Mary / Rock Razor 2.35 SuperGravity front / rear
    - XO1 10-42 cassette & X01 rear derailleur
    - Race Face SixC Crank w/ Race Face 30T chainring
    - Race Face BB30
    - Shimano XTR 9020 Trail pedals
    - Race Face 150mm dropper post
    - Specialized Henge Expert saddle
    - Easton Haven 50mm stem
    - Easton Havoc 800mm bars
    - Shimano Saint m820 brakes w/ Ice Tech 180/200mm rotors
    - MRP AMG v2 carbon chainring guard
    - Rockshox Lyrik RCT3 170mm
    - ODI Ruffian lock-on grips

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-img_0504-1-.jpg

The whole package weighs 32.6 pounds, although a Pike, lighter tires and XT brakes could bring it down to around 31.25 pounds. This doesn't matter so much to me, because despite the heft, the bike climbs better and handles more nimbly (!) than the Specialized SJ Evo 29er that it replaces. Moreover it tracks on rough descents like an animal, and handles jumps/drops in the most confidence inspiring manner of any bike I've ridden. Most unexpectedly, it has the ride manners of a trail bike rather than a "big bike" as does, e.g., the Santa Cruz Nomad v3. Well done, Canfield!

I still haven't dialed in the CCDB Air CS in to exactly where I want it yet. I'm ~225 pounds in riding gear, running 180 psi and the Brothers' baseline tune with an extra half turn of HSC. I'm running the Lyric with 27.5% sag, but i'll often get full travel in the rear using only 80% of the Lyrik's travel. I could crank the CCDBA's HSC up a bit more, but I'm more inclined to try reducing the air can volume. I'd love to hear others' opinions on this!

C.O.
    Last edited by Captain Oldschool; 05-18-2016 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Corrected bike weight.

mtbr member
    ^^Same; I'm going to try at least one volume reducer in mine and I'm only 175ish lbs. No one answered my question earlier so I guess no one else got any volume reducers (or even the shock damping adjust tool) with their Balance?

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    ^^Same; I'm going to try at least one volume reducer in mine and I'm only 175ish lbs. No one answered my question earlier so I guess no one else got any volume reducers (or even the shock damping adjust tool) with their Balance?
    Gman,
    Thanks for your response. My CCDBA CS came with a 3mm hex key for damping adjustment (can't hurt to have an extra, I suppose), but alas, no volume reducers. Are you running the Lyrik as well? I wonder whether the Lyrik's airspring curve is more progressive than the Pike's. I'll be happy to share my front/rear balance results once I find, reduce to possession and use the CCDBA volume reducers.
    -C.O.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    From the Cane Creek Lounge:

"September 19, 2014 8:45am by CaneCreekCyclingComponents

Generally if a bike needs say 1 large volume spacer for a rider, other riders even lighter or heavier riders will need the same. This is because you're creating a certain spring curve with the spacer. Your air pressure and sag will match your body weight. So two riders on the same bike that are different weights should get very similar results if they run the same amount of sag..."

So I suppose my 225-pound heft doesn't really matter . I'm back to wondering whether the stock Lyrik spring curve (i.e., with 1 factory bottomless token for 170mm model) is more progressive than that of the Pike or other forks used on the 2016 balance so far. Regardless, I think that I like the feel of the Lyrik's spring curve and have bottomed it out a few times in 4-5 rides, so adding some more progressivity to the CCDBA CS seems like the right thing to do in my case.
    -C.O.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Just a tease...

I was waiting until I had it built, but here's a little tease just to spread some stoke.

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-img_9316.jpg

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-balance-frame-profile-edit-800.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    [QUOTE=Don_1138;12631446]I was waiting until I had it built, but here's a little tease just to spread some stoke.

OK, so I see that my crappy iPhone photo isn't going to cut it here...

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Oldschool View Post
    OK, so I see that my crappy iPhone photo isn't going to cut it here...
    Haha—these are just crappy iPhone photos!

With maybe a little edit...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Don_1138 View Post
    Haha—these are just crappy iPhone photos!

With maybe a little edit...
    I was just making excuses, really. I'm aware that there are high-quality coffee table photography books shot only with iPhones. It's all about subject, lighting and composition in the end. Nice work!
    -C.O.

mtbr member
    Gman,
    Thanks for your response. My CCDBA CS came with a 3mm hex key for damping adjustment (can't hurt to have an extra, I suppose), but alas, no volume reducers. Are you running the Lyrik as well? I wonder whether the Lyrik's airspring curve is more progressive than the Pike's. I'll be happy to share my front/rear balance results once I find, reduce to possession and use the CCDBA volume reducers.
    -C.O.
    Yup and it (Lyrik) does seem way more dialed than the Pike was out of the box. My Pike needed 2-3 tokens and the rebound nearly all the way fast to get it working the way I needed. Lyrik working great (only bottoms on really big hits - as it should) with just standard 1 token and rebound in the middle, LCS on 4-6 depending on terrain. Been about as "set-and-forget" as any fork I've ever used. The larger negative air chamber really does work wonders for small chatter bumps too. RS hit a home-run w/ the Lyrik.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 05-14-2016 at 12:01 PM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    That's my babe. I don't know how much she weighs but she definitely rips the ups and downs! I'm looking forward to trying other peoples ccdb settings. I'm 200lbs all geared up
    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-p5pb13485713.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    From the Cane Creek Lounge:

"September 19, 2014 8:45am by CaneCreekCyclingComponents

Generally if a bike needs say 1 large volume spacer for a rider, other riders even lighter or heavier riders will need the same. This is because you're creating a certain spring curve with the spacer. Your air pressure and sag will match your body weight. So two riders on the same bike that are different weights should get very similar results if they run the same amount of sag..."

So I suppose my 225-pound heft doesn't really matter . I'm back to wondering whether the stock Lyrik spring curve (i.e., with 1 factory bottomless token for 170mm model) is more progressive than that of the Pike or other forks used on the 2016 balance so far. Regardless, I think that I like the feel of the Lyrik's spring curve and have bottomed it out a few times in 4-5 rides, so adding some more progressivity to the CCDBA CS seems like the right thing to do in my case.
    -C.O.
    I installed one large (uncut) volume reduction spacer on my CCDBA CS after work today, but it's been raining hard and the trails are too sloppy to give it a try. It was super easy to install the spacer -- literally a five minute job. I'll report back on performance once I have some trail time on the new setup.
    -C.O.

mtbr member
    ^^ Where did you get the spacer, from CC?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    ^^ Where did you get the spacer, from CC?
    Amazon (excelcycle storefront) -- $8.75 and free shipping for two large spacers.

-C.O.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Any reports from people running coils on the new balance? Do you blow through the travel too easily? Do you just run a stiffer spring than you would with air because it is more supple?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Any reports from people running coils on the new balance? Do you blow through the travel too easily? Do you just run a stiffer spring than you would with air because it is more supple?
    Not from experience, but I suspect that coil shocks in this (or any?) application would need to run a greater amount of high speed compression damping vs. air shocks to control bottom-out when running comparable levels of sag.
    -C.O.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-fullsizerender.jpg

Rode it at Duthie Hill today, very surprised by how well it climbed, I was accidentally rolling over features and not noticing that I had after. The reach and BB height are spot on. The body english the 420 stays require is a novelty as well.

I think I need more air and faster rebound on the 160 Pike and/or rear and potentially less turns of HSC in the DBAir since I feel like I was just rolling over buildup vertical lips (like the cinderblock corkscrew on Ryans, or the beginning of voodoo child) instead of popping/launching off them. Felt too much like a buttery smooth Cadilac kind of just plowing over stuff.

Very stoked about this bike, compliments my Evil Following really well. Now I feel like I have a aggressive carbon trail bike and a capable and shuttle-able mini DH bike.

Frame: 16' L Canfield Balance
    Fork: 16' Pike RCT3 160mm
    Handlebar: Danny Hart Blackbox Bar
    Stem: BMC AMSM 02 50mm
    Grip: '16 Easton Lockon 33mm
    Headset: Cane Creek
    BB: SRAM GXP
    Crank: XX1
    Chain ring: absoluteBlack 28T Oval
    Pedals: Canfield Crampons Ultimate
    Chain: SRAM X1
    Saddle: WTB Pure V Pro
    Seatpost: Raceface Turbine Dropper 150mm
    R Derail: SRAM X01 Type 2.1
    Shifter: X01
    Cassette: X1
    Brakes F&R: XTR 9020 trail
    Rotors F: RT-86 mm 203
    Rotors R: RT-86 mm 180
    Rims: DT Swiss E1700 Spline Two
    Hubs: DT Swiss E1700 Spline Two
    F Tire: Onza: Ibex FRC 120 (F)
    R Tire: / FRC 60 (R), 2.4

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I installed one large (uncut) volume reduction spacer on my CCDBA CS after work today, but it's been raining hard and the trails are too sloppy to give it a try. It was super easy to install the spacer -- literally a five minute job. I'll report back on performance once I have some trail time on the new setup.
    -C.O.
    Local trails are still a mess, but I've found some dry jump runs to try out suspension tune. I am convinced that the 170mm Lyrik with its one factory volume spacer is significantly more progressively sprung than a 160mm factory Pike with its zero factory spacers. The only reason that I mention this is that it may play into the front/rear tuning on 2016 Balance builds with a factory-spaced Lyrik vs. factory-spaced Pike.

Now that I've added one large volume spacer to the CCDBA-CS on the rear, it seems to be in much better balance with the factory-spaced 170mm Lyrik on the front -- i.e., i'm now getting similar % travel front and rear while running 180psi on the rear shock and 85 PSI on the Lyrik (I'm ~ 225# with gear). My CCDBA settings are now exactly the Brothers' base tune, but I'll consider a bit more HSR damping (given relatively high air spring pressure and reduced volume) as trail behavior becomes more apparent.

The air spring tune seems just about right for me now with the fork and rear both using 85% travel on ~ 3-4 ft drops to flat. Should make short work of bigger hits without further air spring or HSC adjustments.

-C.O.
    Last edited by Captain Oldschool; 05-25-2016 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Measured travel at 85% vs. originally posted 90%

mtbr member
    anyone running Fox 36 170mm fork on the new Balance? if so, how do you like it?

or anyone else running 170mm on the front?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtylerdurden View Post

I've got a 170 MRP. Love it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

I'm running a 170mm Lyric (see post above) and at least one other board participant has this Lyrik as well. I've seen builds with the Fox 36 and was headed in this direction until the Lyrik packages became available from Canfield. I have no regrets, so far, with my choice of the Lyrik. It's plenty stiff and it's set-and-forget with no need (or option) to futz with HSC.
    -C.O.

mtbr member
    I'm running a X-fusion Vengeance HLR 170mm in front. Eventually I'm going to get a Float36 when my budget recovers after the rest of the build.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I've been riding my Balance for about a month. It still blows me away how incredible it handles. Last weekend, my best friend wanted to try it out since he's had the new bike itch for quite some time. He was so amazed by it's performance and ordered one immediately. The parts and frame arrived in 4 days, thanks Sean at Canfield for the excellent service! Got a couple of great rides in this Memorial weekend.Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-20160528_134032-%5B1417174%5D.jpg

SamIAm
    I'm running a 170mm Lyric (see post above) and at least one other board participant has this Lyrik as well. I've seen builds with the Fox 36 and was headed in this direction until the Lyrik packages became available from Canfield. I have no regrets, so far, with my choice of the Lyrik. It's plenty stiff and it's set-and-forget with no need (or option) to futz with HSC.
    -C.O.

i just got a Large 2014 Balance w/ 27.5 and built it up with RS Yari setup at 180mm as of now.

my friend that helped me build it wanted me to run extra sag and some tokens if i kept it 180 since he thought the front was sitting too high or switch it down to 170. my inseam is 4in longer than said friend so i am going to have a couple spacers under the stem or some higher rise bars to deal with my higher hip height

should i just drop it to 170mm anyways or keep it up at 180 and play with sag/spacers?
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

mtbr member
    The 2014 was designed around a 160mm fork is 27.5 build and a 170mm if built with 26" wheels. Running at 180mm is too much for the geo to feel right . The new 2016 is able to run 160 or 170 comfortably built as a 27.5 as intended. I would have the Yari dropped to 160mm if possible

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Now, maybe I should know this, but one of my pivot bolts keeps backing out and i am getting a bit of squeak from it. Is it ok to loc-tite the pivot bolts in place? or does that screw with it? what is recommended servicing for pivot hardware?

mtbr member
    Now, maybe I should know this, but one of my pivot bolts keeps backing out and i am getting a bit of squeak from it. Is it ok to loc-tite the pivot bolts in place? or does that screw with it? what is recommended servicing for pivot hardware?
    I loc-tited all of mine because of that. No issues since

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm really surprised that these pivots would creak or back out. You have a torque wrench to make sure they're in to spec?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I have a torque wrench but there are no torque specs (one of the first questions i asked canfield). I was told tight plus a quarter turn.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    LOL wait Canfield doesn't provide torque specs for their bikes?! Especially for laterally weak interfaces like radial cartridge bearings.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by madamfunk View Post
    LOL wait Canfield doesn't provide torque specs for their bikes?! Especially for laterally weak interfaces like radial cartridge bearings.
    unless that changed in the last month or two

mtbr member
    They used too. They pulled it off their website. Guys were stripping the bolts really bad. I might be able to dig it up

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    They used too. They pulled it off their website. Guys were stripping the bolts really bad. I might be able to dig it up

I dont understand how tightening things to a torque spec would strip a bolt?

mtbr member
    I dont understand how tightening things to a torque spec would strip a bolt?
    They posted the wrong specs
    here's the 2014 frame link http://canfieldbrothers.com/wp-conte...ers-Manual.pdf

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I use blue loctite on my pivots from the beginning and they have not backed out. I'm pretty anal with my bikes so I check pivots after every ride and clean my fork, shock and dropper post. Takes about 5 minutes and my stuff last a lot longer than neglected ones. I also asked about torque specs and was told just tighten the bolts until they stop. Basically, no hamfisting wrenching allowed. Been riding mine hard for over a month and no issues.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Also if you email them, they respond almost immediately. Amazing customer service at Canfield.
    Last edited by ScottieM8; 06-07-2016 at 10:05 PM.

mtbr member
    They posted the wrong specs
    here's the 2014 frame link http://canfieldbrothers.com/wp-conte...ers-Manual.pdf
    So... does that have the "right" specs?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Pretty much all new bikes/parts ship with assembly grease on threads. If you want to be sure things stay put, pull out the bolts, clean off the grease add some Loctite and they should stay pretty solid, but like anything, good to check occasionally as part of your routine bike upkeep.

Hand snug plus a quarter turn for good measure should be plenty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    The day has finally come...

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-2016-canfield-brothers-balance.jpgCanfield Brothers 2016 Balance-2016-canfield-brothers-balance-4.jpgCanfield Brothers 2016 Balance-2016-canfield-brothers-balance-2.jpgCanfield Brothers 2016 Balance-2016-canfield-brothers-balance-3.jpg

mtbr member
    "Purple Rain" just landed at the shop. Haven't even mounted the ccdb yet.

Stoke factor is high.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Hubs and custom Lyrik decals are in!

mtbr member
    Red theme looks great! Haven't seen much Canfield frames with red links yet, well done!

Purple ano and black always looks great, can't wait to see finished product!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hubs and custom Lyrik decals are in!

Nice! I9 hubs rock. I have I9 wheels on all my bikes and the engagement is addicting. Converted two of my buddies to them. Congrats on the Balance, you'll love it. One of my all time favorite bike. Sweet color scheme also.

mtbr member
    If you like the engagement of i9's, check out Onyx. Plus it's totally silent, the only noise is tires on dirt.

I took my Balance to a lift service bike park here in MN, and I was blown away at how it handled the real DH stuff. Absolutely no need for a DH bike with this, here anyway. Though I would still like a jedi, because... n+1, and my gf hasn't threatened to leave me yet.

mtbr member
    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-20160611_160453.jpg

I'm normally kind of a wuss when it comes to jumping, but here I am, on the back side of a rock I cleared. That thing scared the crap out of me last year. First try on this, was a piece of cake.
    Last edited by twarner21609; 06-13-2016 at 05:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016

specs

Initial ride impressions:

Did some pedaling and shuttling this weekend.

CLIMBING: Biggest surprise for me is the pedaling. It's kind of a given that anything with a skull on the headtube is going to descend like a demon (which this does), but it also climbs like a mountain goat with a meth habit. It might be the best pedaling bike I've ridden; CBF is the real deal. I'm out of shape (didn't have anything to pedal while I built this) and still cleaned things going up that I didn't used to. Didn't really find myself reaching for the X2's climb switch. Climbs and handles like a much lighter bike than the numbers suggest. I didn't weigh it and don't care that much, but my guess is 30-31.

DESCENDING: Some reviews on here suggest the Balance is more point and shoot than playful, and I couldn't disagree more. It sticks to the ground and soaks up the chunk at speed, but I found it to be an extremely nimble and playful bike. All around it feels very "sporty," like a much shorter travel bike in terms of handling, until you need it to soak up a mistake or a bigger hit.

Still need to get the X2 dialed, but all around, couldn't ask for a better every day, do it all bike.

Specs if anyone is interested:

Frame: 2016 Canfield Brothers Balance
    Fork: FOX 36 160mm (soon to be 170mm)
    Shock: FOX X2 w/ Climb Switch
    Handlebar: Atomik Carbon 810mm AM Riser Bar
    Stem: Race Face Atlas 50mm
    Grips: ODI SDG
    Headset: Cane Creek
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano
    Cranks: Shimano XT
    Chain ring: Shimano XT 32T
    Pedals: Canfield Crampon Ultimate
    Chain: Shimano
    Saddle: SDG Falcon Ti/Alloy
    Seatpost: KS LEV Integra 150mm
    R Derailleur: Shimano XT
    Shifter: Shimano XT
    Cassette: Shimano XT 11-spd (11-42)
    Brakes F&R: Shimano XT
    Rotors F&R: Shimano IceTech 180
    Rims: Atomik Carbon Trail Hookless
    Hubs: Profile Elite
    F Tire: Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5
    R Tire: Maxxis Minion SS 2.3

The day has finally come...

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-2016-canfield-brothers-balance-1.jpgCanfield Brothers 2016 Balance-2016-canfield-brothers-balance-2.jpgCanfield Brothers 2016 Balance-2016-canfield-brothers-balance-3.jpgCanfield Brothers 2016 Balance-2016-canfield-brothers-balance-4.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    My buddy and I did a tough ride on our Balances. Climbed over 2100 ft at max elevation of 10,300 ft. At that altitude, you absolutely feel light headed. The bike feels so light going up. We wanted to test how it will do on this particular trail and it performed flawlessly. My friend is usually slower on the downs but not on his balance. We were bombing down pretty close together.Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-kom.jpg

mtbr member

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance

You guys having any issues with your CCDBairs losing pressure? For the last three weeks I've been losing about 25psi over a weeks period. Realizing this on rides when I start getting pedal strikes where I normally don't.

I'll add that I only have about 200 miles on my 2016 Balance so the shock should be good to go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wooly88 View Post
    You guys having any issues with your CCDBairs losing pressure? For the last three weeks I've been losing about 25psi over a weeks period. Realizing this on rides when I start getting pedal strikes where I normally don't.

I'll add that I only have about 200 miles on my 2016 Balance so the shock should be good to go.

No, I set mine about 2 months ago and after about 400 miles on the trail, it's still the same. Contact Cane creek?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    No issues with my DBAir.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wooly88 View Post

Could be something simple. The air can is pretty easy to open up (look on YouTube for CCDBA volume spacer install). Could try making sure that O-rings are properly seated and slathered with slick honey.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    DESCENDING: Some reviews on here suggest the Balance is more point and shoot than playful, and I couldn't disagree more. It sticks to the ground and soaks up the chunk at speed, but I found it to be an extremely nimble and playful bike. All around it feels very "sporty," like a much shorter travel bike in terms of handling, until you need it to soak up a mistake or a bigger hit.
    Thanks for that perspective. One of my fears with ordering a Balance is that it's honestly too much bike for 90% of my local trails (within <1hr drive). I travel and occasionally race, so something like the Balance is certainly appropriate as a do-it-all for me. I'm fine with pushing the extra weight and less efficient suspension compared to a 130mm trail bike, but I wouldn't want my weekday rides to feel completely dead.

So I'm really glad to hear it isn't a "plow" bike, like a lot of others with similar travel and some geometry similarities tend to be.

mtbr member
    Definitely not a plow bike. I had a Yeti sb6 and it seemed more "plow" than the balance and I don't think people would classify the sb6 as a plow like a Nomad. My medium balance seems very nimble to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    ^^^

I agree with Don_1138. My prior trail bike was a carbon Specialized Stumpjumper EVO. The balance is a clearly superior trail bike. I don't notice the extra 4 pounds, the handling is more nimble, and the suspension seems more lively and controlled. This, and it handles big stuff that overwhelmed the Stumpy.

C.O.

mtbr member
    I'm down to Balance and Kona Process 153 as my next bike. Anyone here has experience with both?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeventures View Post
    I'm down to Balance and Kona Process 153 as my next bike. Anyone here has experience with both?
    I haven't ridden the 153 but did spend some time on a 134. It was a fun bike and I really liked it, but even though it was the shorter travel Process, I still have to get the nod to the Balance on climbing and efficiency. I'm biased, but don't think you can beat the Balance in this bike segment.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I have ridden my buddy's 153 and I have a balance. I think the suspension feels deeper and plusher on the balance. the 153 seems very poppy. I like the crazy standover the 153 offers. I think both bikes rip. The balance is just more bump gobbling goodness to me.

I might be biased though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Finally got the bike on one of my favorite descents—fast, rowdy and technical. The Balance absolutely came alive. Nimble and agile, seemed to instinctively go where I wanted it in fast, tight maneuvers almost like the bike was on autopilot, and really opened up to swallow the rough stuff without missing a beat. It's glued to the ground through the chunder but easy to pop and be playful when you want it. I'm in love.

mtbr member
    I for the life of me cannot figure out what bottom bracket I will need for the Balance.

I have a RaceFace Turbine Cinch crankset on order. So far I think I need a BB that will be 73mm in length, threaded and will fit a 30mm spindle. Looking at RaceFace BBs, none of the standards pop out as the obvious one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeventures View Post
    I for the life of me cannot figure out what bottom bracket I will need for the Balance.

I have a RaceFace Turbine Cinch crankset on order. So far I think I need a BB that will be 73mm in length, threaded and will fit a 30mm spindle. Looking at RaceFace BBs, none of the standards pop out as the obvious one.
    You'll need the Race Face BSA 30 BB. It also needs a separate Race Face BB tool as the spline is different from the standard Shimano/Sram BB tool.

Product Details - Race Face BSA 30

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-bsa.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance

Well, after back to back demos of a large, then medium Balance, I just pulled the trigger on the medium. I was surprised that it fit me better, since I'm a bit over 5'11", but the large just had me feeling too stretched out and I feeling it in my lower back. I must have a short reach for my height.

I can't believe how great the bike climbs. That steep seat tube angle just keeps the front wheel planted. Much easier to hold down than my '12 Stumpy Evo.

Anyway, I'm super excited to get it built up!

J
    Last edited by jminus; 06-18-2016 at 06:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Could someone recommend me a stem length?

I'm 6'0" with a 32" cycling inseam. I'm coming from a Mojo HD (L, 403mm reach) with a 60mm stem and 750mm bars, which left me feeling behind the bike instead of in it. I've demo'd an HD3 (431mm reach) with a 50mm stem, and I still felt that was too short for me. The 457mm reach of the large Balance looks great, but it's a big jump. I'm wondering if I should drop down to a 40mm stem instead. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    I'm on a Large with a 50mm stem and it feels great! But it's a 2015 Balance. I think you should go for a 40 and try it out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus2405 View Post

I'm 6'0" with a 32" cycling inseam. I'm coming from a Mojo HD (L, 403mm reach) with a 60mm stem and 750mm bars, which left me feeling behind the bike instead of in it. I've demo'd an HD3 (431mm reach) with a 50mm stem, and I still felt that was too short for me. The 457mm reach of the large Balance looks great, but it's a big jump. I'm wondering if I should drop down to a 40mm stem instead. Thoughts?
    I am the same height and inseam... I ride a large Riot with a 65mm RaceFace Atlas stem and Chromag FU40 bars, uncut. Feels perfect!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus2405 View Post

How wide are your bars? How wide were the bars on the demo?

I'm 5'11.5" or so and 32" inseam. Last week I demoed a large Balance with 35mm stem and 800mm bars and a medium balance with a 60mm stem and 800mm bars. Even though I ride a large 2012 Stumpy (with like 680mm bars), the large balance was stretching me too far and I could really feel it in my lower back. The medium felt very comfortable. I think the extra reach combined with the wide bars basically moved me down a size.

If I was getting the large, I would definitely put the shortest stem on it I could find because I decided I liked the super wide bars.

Edit: Also, after reading other people's sizing notes, I am starting to suspect I have short arms.

mtbr member
    6'0" 760mm bars 50mm stem. 32 inseam.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm 5'9" on a medium with 40mm stem and 720mm bars. My other bike has 760mm bars and I seem to clip the tall cactus along side our local trails here in the southwest. Also had 800mm bars in the past. Having to pick cactus barb out of the side of your hands suck. Some people like the super wide bars, but for me and the trails I ride, a moderate bar works fine. I guess if I rode more in an open trail system, wide bars might be ok. Go with bars that not only fits your height, but also what fits the trails. Just my .02 cents.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottieM8 View Post
    Go with bars that not only fits your height, but also what fits the trails. Just my .02 cents.
    Great advice. I was on 800s, but just couldn't get through the trees on the tight single track where I was living. There was one pair on an uphill switch back that I measured, it irritated me so much. 665mm. I cut down to 750, and except for that one set of trees, I was faster and happier. It's not like 750mm is narrow.

mtbr member

2016 Balance - Purple Rain

Finished the build up today. Maybe get to ride on Friday, but feels great around the shop parking lot!!

Rode my shop mechanics Reign this past Saturday and the Balance so far feels nothing like it......which I wanted. as good as photos as i could get at twilight.

* Frame Size: Medium
    * Fork: RS Lyrik RCT3 170mm
    * Brakes: Shimano Saint 203/180
    * Shifter: XTR M9000
    * Cranks: XT M8000 170mm
    * Rear Derailleur: XT M8000
    * Pedals: Shimano Deore
    * Stem: Thomson 50mm
    * Handlebar: ENVE DH 800mm
    * Seatpost: Reverb Stealth 125mm
    * Seatpost clamp: Canfield Bros.
    * Saddle: WTB Rocket 142
    * Bottom Bracket: XTR
    * Cassette: XT M8000
    * Chain: XTR HG901
    * Headset: Cane Creek
    * Grips: ODI Ruffian
    * Front Tire: Maxxis DHF WT 2.5 3C
    * Rear Tire: Maxxis DHR II 2.3 DC
    * Wheels: Industry 9 Hubs w/ Nox Farlow Rims
    * Spokes: Sapim CX Ray
    * Weight: Haven't weighed it yet, guessing 33ish #

May contain nuts
    Rode my shop mechanics Reign this past Saturday and the Balance so far feels nothing like it......which I wanted.
    In what way?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    In what way?
    Reign was definitely felt longer in the cockpit, due to the top tube and seat angle.

Even though the balance is slightly slacker with the 170 and Reign with 160, it didn't feel like it at all. Feels like it will climb and turn switchbacks much better.

May contain nuts
    Comparing med to med? So ETT is shorter on Balance, but reach is longer?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Comparing med to med? So ETT is shorter on Balance, but reach is longer?
    Yes, both med.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Love the black and purple build. It looks good without the accents being overdone - it's just the right amount of purple.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Cool-blue Rhythm Build Complete!

Just completed my build!

Medium balance frame w/ blue links & CCDBCS shock
    MRP stage fork @ 170mm
    RF turbine dropper 150mm
    Chris King ceramic BB
    Shimano XT crankset w/ 170mm cranks and 30T ring
    Answer rove platform pedals
    Canfield AM wheelset
    Minion DHF/SS rubber, both 2.3 (ghetto tubeless per Bros preference)
    RF SixC 35 carbon bars 800mm (uncut)
    ODI rogue grips
    Easton haven 40mm stem
    Cane Creak 40 headset
    Shimano XT brakes
    203mm/180mm icetech rotors
    Saint derailleur
    XT 10speed cassette
    Specialized henge saddle

As soon as Shimano releases the 11-46 cassette, I'll be upgrading to a 1x11 setup.

For anyone who is thinking about sizing, I am 5'11.5" (that half inch makes a difference, man) and 32" inseam. The seat post does look a little more extended than I would prefer, but the reach feels spot on. I definitely feel like I'm between sizes, but I really wanted the medium so I could throw it around more.

Overall bike fit feels great so far pedaling around my neighborhood trail system. I'll be hitting up the big hills tomorrow for a real ride.

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-img_0828-1-.jpgCanfield Brothers 2016 Balance-img_0829-1-.jpg
    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-img_0830-1-.jpg
    Last edited by jminus; 06-28-2016 at 08:12 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Nice build. Very similar to mine. I have the same bars, with Atlas 35mm stem. I'm 5'10 1/2", with apparently long arms and legs, as my large feels small compared to my large TBLT. I built it to ride Angelfire instead of renting a DH bike. Haven't put it on dirt yet, so we'll see how it rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Very nice jminus. Let us know how how the RF Turbine dropper works. Been wanting a 9point8 but the back order is ridiculous.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

1st ride report

I took the balance out for a spin this morning on my "standard" midweek ride which is about 10 miles. About an hour of climbing up, then ripping down some one-way DH trails back to the car. Climbing felt fantastic, but I was a bit uncomfortable descending. More on that in a minute. Overall, I'm in love. I think this bike matches my riding style and the local terrain perfectly.

Here are all my observations/thoughts in no particular order:

This bike handles technical climbing unbelievably well. I don't know if its the seat tube angle or what, but it keeps the front tire down far better than my '12 Stumpy Evo and with much less effort on my part. I cleaned all the tough spots with no issues.

The fit of the bike felt great. I ended up lowering the seat further than it is in my photo once I started pedaling. It looks much better to my eye. Reach is spot on with the 40mm stem, but I think i may drop the stem height by one spacer. I need to see how the fit feels after a 25 mile ride before I render final judgement, but it is looking good.

I don't know what my build weighs, but its probably a couple lbs heavier than my carbon evo. I didn't notice that at all. What I did notice is that I'm pushing a higher gear now (30t vs 28t, 170mm cranks vs 175mm, 650b vs 26"). It was doable, but the 11-46 cassette will be a welcome upgrade.

These super wide bars felt awesome, but they have trashed my sense of "bike space". I was paranoid about clipping a tree. Hopefully this feeling will diminish with a few more rides.

I didn't have the cornering traction I'm used to. I think it was a combination of dry/dusty dirt, totally not-dialed suspension, and a different style rear tire (minion SS). When I got to the bottom, I was quite surprised to learn that I set several strava PRs and 2nd/3rd fastest times on the downhill segments. So I felt off, but objectively, I was faster. Odd.

I'm not worried, because the demo Balance's I rode felt amazing going down this exact trail. I just need to get this new bike dialed in.

The bike is the quietest I have ever owned. It just eats up the bumps without clacking or rattling or making any sounds. I love that.

Overall, the bike just FEELS great to ride. I'm not a geometry geek, but I really can feel the difference vs my other bikes. On the Balance my body always feels like it is in the "right" position whether I'm climbing or descending. My evo requires SO much more body english to keep the rubber side down.

I'm a fan.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Ditto on the body positioning. They nailed the geo and I hope other manufacturers take note. I'm still working on the suspension settings as I feel like the shock and rear end aren't working well together. Rear feels pretty dialed I started with stock settings and then just HSR a little bit away from G-Out control to Pop thinking it would make the bike more playful and less bulldozer ( I might be wrong) I feel like I might not be getting everything out of the 160 pike though, I might have too many tokens or might need to run less air than I'm used to.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottieM8 View Post
    Very nice jminus. Let us know how how the RF Turbine dropper works. Been wanting a 9point8 but the back order is ridiculous.
    I've only ever owned the Spec'y Command Post, so I don't have much in the way of references, but I loved this dropper. Easy and smooth to drop and return. It is surreal to have that much range too. 150mm feels like SO much space. That being said, if they come out with 170mm, I'll upgrade in a second. I'm addicted to drop.

Assuming it holds up in terms of reliability, I'm happy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ditto on the body positioning. They nailed the geo and I hope other manufacturers take note. I'm still working on the suspension settings as I feel like the shock and rear end aren't working well together. Rear feels pretty dialed I started with stock settings and then just HSR a little bit away from G-Out control to Pop thinking it would make the bike more playful and less bulldozer ( I might be wrong) I feel like I might not be getting everything out of the 160 pike though, I might have too many tokens or might need to run less air than I'm used to.
    I felt similar (in terms of shock/fork not working together) but with the Stage. But I just aired them up to the recommended PSI and went out. I'm gonna read about correct tuning tonight and try to be more scientific about the set up.

I actually want more bull dozer My goal is to keep speed and traction up in the gnar. So I need to figure out how to keep the sensitivity high but avoid bottom outs on the big stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jminus View Post
    I've only ever owned the Spec'y Command Post, so I don't have much in the way of references, but I loved this dropper. Easy and smooth to drop and return. It is surreal to have that much range too. 150mm feels like SO much space. That being said, if they come out with 170mm, I'll upgrade in a second. I'm addicted to drop.

Assuming it holds up in terms of reliability, I'm happy.
    Please do yourself a favor and save the headache on the Easton and Raceface posts!
    Tons of issues being reported by local shops. I personally have had issues with multiple posts. That being said the 9point8 has not been as faithful as a Thomson but they have superb customer support and are manufacturing a better post in Canada than the out of spec Easton/RFs/
    Check out this post:
    Easton Haven dropper post thread

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Please do yourself a favor and save the headache on the Easton and Raceface posts!
    Tons of issues being reported by local shops. I personally have had issues with multiple posts. That being said the 9point8 has not been as faithful as a Thomson but they have superb customer support and are manufacturing a better post in Canada than the out of spec Easton/RFs/
    Check out this post:
    Easton Haven dropper post thread
    Definitely concerning reading through that thread. I went with the RF post on the recommendation of Canfield and because the price was great when you are buying a frame. Vin said they have been happy with the ones they run on their demo fleets.

I can't really return it at this point, having used it already, so I guess I'm committed.

mtbr member
    This came up on the Riot thread so I thought I'd post it here too. I'll be listing my 2016 Balance soon. Been traveling. I decided that I'm sold on Canfield but really prefer 29er wheels so i just ordered a Riot. I'll be transferring all of the parts from my Balance except the mrp stage and derby King wheelset. It's a medium. Hit me up if your interested. Otherwise I'll get to posting it on pinkbike next week.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Anyone having issues with the cane creek? My first inch or two of travel feels like crap all of a sudden

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I'm with stupid
    Mine just started doing that on my riot after a day at keystone. I can hear a loud swishing sound and the first inch is "notchy" feeling.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Mine just started doing that on my riot after a day at keystone. I can hear a loud swishing sound and the first inch is "notchy" feeling.

Nailed it. And it's like you knew me... I was at trestle haha. The timing on that push116 is outstanding...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post

That'd be a blown Inline. Trust me, I've had a few of them.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Its on a dB air...

mtbr member
    Its on a dB air...

Same song, different verse.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Both of mine (Chilcotin and Riot) are being serviced for the same issue as we speak. CCDBair CS. Cane Creek was quick to respond... contact them and they will take care of you.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast