Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-20160322_183800.jpgCanfield Brothers 2016 Balance-20160322_183807.jpg

Here is my build getting close
    Lyric up front dbair in the rear
    Full saint groupset (except xt mech)
    Chromag bza cockpit, trailmaster saddle
    DT Swiss wheels (350 rear hub with 54 point upgrade)
    Chromag scarab pedals

I will post more when the build is done

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Anyone....

I am considering buying the 2016 Balance and swapping all of 2015 Yeti SB6c parts over.

Any thoughts?

Thanks !

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by edmff1 View Post
    Anyone....

I am considering buying the 2016 Balance and swapping all of 2015 Yeti SB6c parts over.

Any thoughts?

Thanks !
    Do it. It will be heavier so hopefully your not a super weight weenie

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Anyone....

Any thoughts?

Thanks !
    I mean let's face it everyone in this thread will tell you to do it

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Well... what is your reasoning to "do it"? Need some meat

Also, adrennan your are correct.

I know the Balance will weigh about 2 lbs more than my current 26.6lbs SSB6c - just by the frame weight alone.

Anyone have a good comparison (riding experience) between the two frames?

I like the shorter CS, and from what I've gathered... the Balance is pretty efficient at climbing.

Thoughts anyone? I mean - (meat) ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I mean if it were me and I just bought a 3500 dollar frame the year before I would probably ride it at least another year. Once I finish building and get to ride it, I will report back with full review and pictures.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Thanks... I'll keep that in mind.

mtbr member
    Anyone....

Any thoughts?

Thanks !
    I'm doing the exact thing. My new Balance will be delivered on Tuesday. I went with a 170 MRP Stage fork. Super stoked.

My Sb6 is listed on pinkbike!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by wooly88 View Post
    I'm doing the exact thing. My new Balance will be delivered on Tuesday. I went with a 170 MRP Stage fork. Super stoked.

My Sb6 is listed on pinkbike!
    Since both of you are listing your sb6c's, I gotta ask were they fun rides? What did you not like about them?

mtbr member
    I loved it. No reason to sell other than I like trying different bikes out. The sb6 and the sb5 are terrific bikes. I've had both and would get another yeti in a snap.

I'm with stupid
    You guys selling frame only or whole bikes? If so, pm me a price. I'm looking for something to have with my riot.

mtbr member
    Balance delivery count down. T Minus 3 days...

mtbr member
    So stoked. My Balance arrived and is at my shop getting built.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    What spec? Fork?, shock? Wheels? Think I'm going with the DVO green. Wonder if anyone has a green that will match. King headset, Onyx hubs? Probably not. Then black it is. Also which bottom brkt. do the Bros recommend with their cranks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I really wanted to do those onyx hubs on my new build, maybe as an upgrade someday. i haven't heard one bad review yet for them.

Canfield Brothers
    RT, the DVO green should match other products on the market fairly closely. That was the intent. The Canfield cranks come with the bottom bracket.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance

My build will be parts mostly coming off of a Yeti Sb6 I'll be transferring over:

Frame: medium raw with black links
    Fork: MRP Stage
    Shock: CCDBair
    Wheels: Derby AM rims laced to gold King hubs (we'll see how ghetto the gold looks with the raw frame)
    Dropper: Race Face Turbine
    Cranks: RF Next SL
    Stem: Renthal Apex
    Bars: Enve DH cut to 780
    RD and shifter: XTR 11 speed
    Brakes: XT 785
    Cassette: SRAM XO 10-42

mtbr member
    Btw - I've got Onyx hubs on my Ibis Ripley and love them.

mtbr member
    My build will be parts mostly coming off of a Yeti Sb6 I'll be transferring over:

Frame: medium raw with black links
    Fork: MRP Stage
    Shock: CCDBair
    Wheels: Derby AM rims laced to gold King hubs (we'll see how ghetto the gold looks with the raw frame)
    Dropper: Race Face Turbine
    Cranks: RF Next SL
    Stem: Renthal Apex
    Bars: Enve DH cut to 780
    RD: XTR 11 speed
    Brakes: XT 785
    Cassette: SRAM XO 10-42
    Sounds killer!

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    Sounds killer!

Thanks. Can't wait. I was close to pulling the trigger on a Lunchbox after reading your comments on that rig but was swayed to the Canfield after a long debate.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Can't wait. I was close to pulling the trigger on a Lunchbox after reading your comments on that rig but was swayed to the Canfield after a long debate.
    I loved the LB, but the Canfield is more refined in every way.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks flymybike, about the bottom brkt. Glad to hear about the green matching somethings. Just saw that Raceface Sixc bar's lettering looks like it matches. Don't want to over do the green. It's loud enough. Wooly88, my shop likes the Onyx hubs too. And I'm also going with Derby rims. Nice build. And Colin+M, thanks for all your input. I followed you to Canfield from the Santa Cruz TBLT forum, when you bought the Riot. Probably get one of those too. Just don't get rid of my bikes, like you, so it will take me longer to justify it. Getting the Balance instead of just renting a DH bike. Also can't justify a Jedi for 1 or 2 parks a year, yet!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    So I've had my 2016 Balance since January. I'm loving it!!!

I've taken it to long rides with tons of climbing at altittude and I don't make any of my friends on their weight weenie carbon bikes wait for me. But I have to admit my bike is heavy (33lbs). I really enjoy how it handles the technical climbs, the suspension design makes the bike grip and go up.

Going down it feels stable, planted but easy to move around and manouver. The suspension feels bottomless. It handles rock gardens, steep chutes, tight switchbacks great and some bigish hits (I'm afraid of the really big ones) very well.

I've done a couple of Enduro races with it and I did pretty good. Last race was pretty rough and four guys that I know well broke their carbon frames... My Balance held up great.

I had the 2015 Balance. The 2016 machine is much better. Feels way stiffer in the rear, the redesigned rear triangle and link make a big difference. The longer top tube suits me better (5 10 on a M). Another great thing is the longer stroke shock, the rear travel seems more controlled and tunning can be more precise. I love the new bolt-on rear axel, it will never come loose.

The Raw color of the 2016 has no coating. I'm not sure if I love it or don't care for it. The bike looks a bit dusty even after a good wash, the advantage is that it can be polished easily (I've yet to experiment).

I'm still playing around with the rear shock tunning... I guess I'll never stop as I like tinkering around with stuff... The base tune is a great starting point.

I would buy again in an instant.

mtbr member
    Great insight. On the topic of weight, this will be my first alloy mountain bike in a number of years. It'll be interesting to compare to some of the carbon rigs I've recently had.

When I brought the bike in yesterday to be built, it was funny how the shop guys all thought it was "old school". Haha

I'm with stupid
    Great insight. On the topic of weight, this will be my first alloy mountain bike in a number of years. It'll be interesting to compare to some of the carbon rigs I've recently had.

When I brought the bike in yesterday to be built, it was funny how the shop guys all thought it was "old school". Haha
    Hand them the geo chart next time and see what they say after that haha

mtbr member
    Figured since I updated my old Canfield Brothers bike from prior versions(N9,Yelli, Jedi, added the Riot and EPO) I would update my Balance from the 2014 to the new revised 2016!!!!
    Figured I would go with the Raw/Purple with green and purple accents!!

mtbr member
    I like it! It reminds me of Jack Nicholson's Joker. My favorite Batman movie

mtbr member
    I like it! It reminds me of Jack Nicholson's Joker. My favorite Batman movie

My thoughts too when building!!

mtbr member
    Then I love it!

mtbr member
    Then I love it!

Soon as I get my wheels built for the 2016 N9- I will have to take a NEW group picture of all the CB bikes in the stable....

I'm with stupid
    You need a sticker made for it that say you ever danced with the devil.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    You need a sticker made for it that say you ever danced with the devil.

No kidding

mtbr member
    What do you guys think about putting on a chain guard? I noticed the "Joker" above (which looks sweet!) has one. When I ordered the Balance I got an MRP chain guide. Never had one before. Maybe I'm not riding hard enough but I've never dropped a chain! I'm debating whether I should have it installed or not. Thoughts?

I'm with stupid
    Do it! I never dropped a chain until I started pedaling in higher gears over chunky bits of trail trying to get MOAR SPEEEEED! !!

Which is a natural byproduct of owning a canfield....... just sayin.

Last edited by hitechredneck; 03-30-2016 at 11:29 PM.

mtbr member
    I would install one without a question. You will find yourself braking less as you hit rougher sections. My Riot runs the MRP micro with just a top guide and bash gourd to protect the chain wheel thru rocky areas. My Balance above, the Joker as it seems to be coined, is running the new carbon MRP SxG with upper and lower guides. This bike will be used for both trail riding and some bike park riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The Joker looks surprisingly good. I mean considering it has purple links. Just kidding. Just the right amount of color to give it some pop. I'm going with the DVO suspension package. The MRP coil and fork was my other consideration. Don't hear much about that shock. Looks real good. They should offer that shock as a MRP package, like the DVO. Wonder how the shocks compare. Let us know how you like that it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rone Turner View Post
    The Joker looks surprisingly good. I mean considering it has purple links. Just kidding. Just the right amount of color to give it some pop. I'm going with the DVO suspension package. The MRP coil and fork was my other consideration. Don't hear much about that shock. Looks real good. They should offer that shock as a MRP package, like the DVO. Wonder how the shocks compare. Let us know how you like that it.
    Thanks... my Riot is running through DVO package and feels awesome. I broke my ankle in 2 spots just after building this so have no trail time on it. Have ridden the street a bit. .. feels decent. A buddy took it out for a demo ride yesterday and said it felt awesome... great pedal platform but just ate up the roots scattered throughout the trails. I won't get any real time on it till May. The MRP Raze2CR was dyno'd to run perfect with the Formula suspension from the Bros

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Sorry to hear about your ankle. I'm going to order a Balance Monday. Still debating going with the DVO package or the MRP combo that you have. Could you tell me why you went with the MRP? Especially since you have the DVO set up on the Riot. Just to have something different? I've been renting DH bikes when I go to AngelFire. This year I decide to put that money towards a bike that would be better than my TBLT at parks, but could still be ridden on other trails. The one day I didn't rent, the TBLT was fun, but felt like I was riding on the edge of crashing with it. So getting a Balance. Just need to decide DVO or MRP. You have both. So please help me pick. I've been driving myself crazy with this. I know either will be fine. But any opinion you have will be helpful. Or anyone else's. Thanks

mtbr member
    I have ridden both the DVO setup and a MRP Stage fork at Bootleg Canyon in Nevada on both a Riot and Balance. ... both forks are awesome. The Jade felt good in the gnar. I took a chance on the mrp coil for rear based off the fork ride quality.
    The other reason for going mrp on the Balance is due to owning and running a Canfield demo fleet for the Midwest riders to sample. This gives the average consumer to try something different than the run of the mill Fox or Rockshox offerings. You can't go wrong with either choices...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Would really like to know what the Bros are running on their personal Balances. I know it's been said before, but it's freaking cool to be able to communicate directly with the owners/designers of these bikes.

mtbr member
    For rear... they have been using bother the inline and CCDB air. Forks have been ranging MRP Stage and DVO Diamond for the Riots with the Stage on the Balances. The demos have also run the Pikes from rockshox

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks. Think I'll go with the DVO on the Balance, since they have such a good deal on the Jade, and I want coil for parks. Then MRP fork on a Riot, probably with CCDB, for a trail bike. Then they won't look alike. Ha

mtbr member
    Ha..ha... sounds like a sound plan!!! Can't wait to see them

mtbr member
    Isn't the Raze essentially a newer version of the Elka?

mtbr member
    Isn't the Raze essentially a newer version of the Elka?

Yup!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post
    Yup!
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sancycling View Post
    So I've had my 2016 Balance since January. I'm loving it!!!

I've taken it to long rides with tons of climbing at altittude and I don't make any of my friends on their weight weenie carbon bikes wait for me. But I have to admit my bike is heavy (33lbs). I really enjoy how it handles the technical climbs, the suspension design makes the bike grip and go up.

Going down it feels stable, planted but easy to move around and manouver. The suspension feels bottomless. It handles rock gardens, steep chutes, tight switchbacks great and some bigish hits (I'm afraid of the really big ones) very well.

I've done a couple of Enduro races with it and I did pretty good. Last race was pretty rough and four guys that I know well broke their carbon frames... My Balance held up great.

I had the 2015 Balance. The 2016 machine is much better. Feels way stiffer in the rear, the redesigned rear triangle and link make a big difference. The longer top tube suits me better (5 10 on a M). Another great thing is the longer stroke shock, the rear travel seems more controlled and tunning can be more precise. I love the new bolt-on rear axel, it will never come loose.

The Raw color of the 2016 has no coating. I'm not sure if I love it or don't care for it. The bike looks a bit dusty even after a good wash, the advantage is that it can be polished easily (I've yet to experiment).

I'm still playing around with the rear shock tunning... I guess I'll never stop as I like tinkering around with stuff... The base tune is a great starting point.

I would buy again in an instant.
    When you were setting up the 2016 what percent of your weight did you have to put in the shock?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm not sure if I can give you a % number. But I stood in the pedals in an attacking position... I guess somewhat balanced between front and rear. I'm 183lbs without riding gear. I ended up with 145psi. I added 3 small volume reducers to avoid bottoming the shock in the large drops.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    That does very much. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Cable routing question

Just about to complete my 2016 Balance build and I have a cable routing question. Some builders have used all of the cable tie points and routed over the main link, which creates shorter-radius turns for the hose and cable going to the rear brake and derailleur. Others have chosen to route through the main link, which creates a more linear hose/cable path, but looks like it may lead to cable rub as the suspension travels. Any thoughts on which is the better option?

C.O.

mtbr member
    Well, I couldn't be more stoked. Picked this up from my shop. Ride tomorrow.

mtbr member
    She's a beaut!

mtbr member
    Is anyone running a 36t chainring? I preordered a 50t cog, so I hope to run 11-50t cassette with a 34 or 36t chainring. It looks like clearance might be pretty close though.

mtbr member
    Well, two rides on my new Balance and all I have to say it wow. Both rides were not too aggressive as I'm still recovering from surgery but it is SO plush. more so that my previous Yeti SB6. It could be the MRP Stage and/or the CCDBAir... But one I can confirm is that it pedals better too. I didn't really expect that because the Yeti and the switch infinity system is so good. I got some front wheel lift on some steeper climbs but none more than my SB6. I am sure I will acclimate. But the Canfield brothers have bottled some magic. I cannot wait to take the bike to Park City and Moab in July.

Well done CB.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    """I cannot wait to take the bike to Park City and Moab in July."""
    ===============================================

Moab in July? you sure you want to that?
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    """I cannot wait to take the bike to Park City and Moab in July."""
    ===============================================

Moab in July? you sure you want to that?
    I thought that too when I saw that. Might make your tires extra sticky as they melt to the rock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adrennan View Post
    I thought that too when I saw that. Might make your tires extra sticky as they melt to the rock.
    Good to know. I've never been there. The kids are at camp that week and my wife and I will be escaping and heading to Utah. We could potentially head to Sedona but I suspect the temps will be equally bad. Will it be that bad in Moab to really avoid?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Good to know. I've never been there. The kids are at camp that week and my wife and I will be escaping and heading to Utah. We could potentially head to Sedona but I suspect the temps will be equally bad. Will it be that bad in Moab to really avoid?
    It is the desert in the peak of summer. I wouldn't doubt it if you had temps in excess of 95.

mtbr member
    It is the desert in the peak of summer. I wouldn't doubt it if you had temps in excess of 95.
    Good to know. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Just your average riding temperature here in Aus 😩

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by slider_phil View Post
    Just your average riding temperature here in Aus 😩
    But your whole country is trying to kill its people; be it by animals, the ocean, the weather, etc.

mtbr member
    But your whole country is trying to kill its people; be it by animals, the ocean, the weather, etc.
    Fun fact. We lost a Prime Minister in the ocean one time. We named a pool after him lol.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Oldschool View Post
    Just about to complete my 2016 Balance build and I have a cable routing question. Some builders have used all of the cable tie points and routed over the main link, which creates shorter-radius turns for the hose and cable going to the rear brake and derailleur. Others have chosen to route through the main link, which creates a more linear hose/cable path, but looks like it may lead to cable rub as the suspension travels. Any thoughts on which is the better option?

C.O.
    When building my Balance I had the same question. I ended up using all the tie points and it is working pretty good with no cable rub. A friend of mine did it a bit different. The shifter and rear brake cable use all the tie points in the rear triangle and they go on top of the link then skip the first down tube tie point. This makes the cable to have les pronounced curves.

I didn't like going under the link as cable rub will be pretty bad and I don't want to damage the frame. I had this issue with the 15 Balance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sancycling View Post
    When building my Balance I had the same question. I ended up using all the tie points and it is working pretty good with no cable rub. A friend of mine did it a bit different. The shifter and rear brake cable use all the tie points in the rear triangle and they go on top of the link then skip the first down tube tie point. This makes the cable to have les pronounced curves.

I didn't like going under the link as cable rub will be pretty bad and I don't want to damage the frame. I had this issue with the 15 Balance.
    Thanks for the reply, sancycling. I did the same thing and no trouble so far.

C.O.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-20160405_193130.jpg

Taking her for her first ride tonight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Just ordered a DVO SE Balance, with all the parts offered by the Bros. So stoked!

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160405_193130.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	193.4 KB 
ID:	1062248

Taking her for her first ride tonight.
    So how'd you like it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    So how'd you like it?
    In case you haven't yet. Find a berm and blow up that berm with this thing. I dont understand how it climbs as well as it does considering my build is probably in the 33 pound range. I need to dial in the shock a bit more, and then I will probably do a full write up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    OK, so it's not the pretty and clean shot, but here's my new build following an after-work ride with my 14-year old son (on his 2015 Yelli). Still dialing in the suspension, which went deep on some medium-sized jumps on today's ride. The bike already feels like a better climber and descender than my Stumpjumper EVO 29er on the same trails. Looking forward to bigger terrain!

C.O.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-img_0504-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    I noticed just a couple PSI makes a huge difference in the suspension setup, much more than on any of my other bikes. I was blowing through travel on pretty mild stuff, until I upped the pressure maybe around 5psi. Tinkered with the compression settings a bit, but tried to stay near the same ballpark as the "base" settings on the website.
    Measuring the sag, I couldn't see a difference that 5psi made, but it sure improved how the bike felt.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by twarner21609 View Post
    I noticed just a couple PSI makes a huge difference in the suspension setup, much more than on any of my other bikes. I was blowing through travel on pretty mild stuff, until I upped the pressure maybe around 5psi. Tinkered with the compression settings a bit, but tried to stay near the same ballpark as the "base" settings on the website.
    Measuring the sag, I couldn't see a difference that 5psi made, but it sure improved how the bike felt.
    Thanks for your response! After initially setting my sag at 20mm, my shock pressure / riding weight was 170/225 = 0.75. I'm now running 177.5/225 = 0.79, and I've also gone from the base tune 0.5 turns of HSC to 1.0 turns. The CCDBA CS still seems to travel more than the 170mm Lyrik fork which is set with 25% sag and one factory token.

I understand that shock pump accuracy is hit or miss (I'm using a Syncros SP 1.0 Digital). For a reference point, would you mind telling me your shock pressure as a proportion of your riding weight?

C.O.

mtbr member
    I did the same on the HSC. Running about 0.80 psi/riding weight.

SKS zero-loss pump. Dial isn't exactly the most accurate, though. One of these days I should pick up a digital.

mtbr member
    Hey C.O. Just for shits and giggles I ran a DH section at 1 turn with .8 psi/geared weight, ran it with .5, and fully open. The right pressure seems to really be the key. Ended up settling on .25 turn for now. May end up going back to .5, but we'll see.

Still trying to find a use for the climb switch. It seems to be detrimental to my climbing, if anything. With it off, traction seems to feel more solid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hey C.O. Just for shits and giggles I ran a DH section at 1 turn with .8 psi/geared weight, ran it with .5, and fully open. The right pressure seems to really be the key. Ended up settling on .25 turn for now. May end up going back to .5, but we'll see.

Still trying to find a use for the climb switch. It seems to be detrimental to my climbing, if anything. With it off, traction seems to feel more solid.
    Thanks for following up! Very cool regarding the HSC! I'm overseas at the moment, but I'll try backing out the HSC at proper pressure next weekend.

C.O.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    One thing I am wondering, why did the bros get rid of the bridge on the seat stays with the 2016 vs the 2015? I dont really notice flex just a peace of mind thing.

mtbr member

You pretty much nailed it. Traction will be more solid with the climb switch off as it allows the rear of the bike to be more active. With our suspension, the switch isn't needed to "help" our bike climb better. It will help quiet down body induced shock movement on longer gravel road climbs though, (this is the only time I use the switch on mine).

mtbr member
    One thing I am wondering, why did the bros get rid of the bridge on the seat stays with the 2016 vs the 2015? I dont really notice flex just a peace of mind thing.
    Adrennan - Yes we removed the upper stay brace, but it that is only a small piece of the puzzle. The 2015 was designed around a front derailleur so the rear couldn't be supported on the drive side to allow for F.D clearance. Due to this, we needed to support the rear somewhere else and between the seat stays was the best place for this. As we nixed the F.D. option on the 2016, we were able to support the rear yokes on either side, resulting in a much stiffer rear triangle. We also removed the seat stay brace as it wasn't needed, nor would it work on this bike as additional seat tube clearance is needed to accommodate for the longer travel of the 2016.

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-canfield-brothers-balance.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post
    Adrennan - Yes we removed the upper stay brace, but it that is only a small piece of the puzzle. The 2015 was designed around a front derailleur so the rear couldn't be supported on the drive side to allow for F.D clearance. Due to this, we needed to support the rear somewhere else and between the seat stays was the best place for this. As we nixed the F.D. option on the 2016, we were able to support the rear yokes on either side, resulting in a much stiffer rear triangle. We also removed the seat stay brace as it wasn't needed, nor would it work on this bike as additional seat tube clearance is needed to accommodate for the longer travel of the 2016.

Name:	Canfield Brothers Balance.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	1063333
    Interesting stuff to hear. The bros nailed it. I have passed guys on carbon xc rigs riding this thing around already (on uphills!) Can't wait to ride the lifts with it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I think it's great that they didn't have to make compromises for a FD. Obviously a better design and looks better too. Have been riding 1x for 10 yrs and will never go back. Can't wait to ride this bike

mtbr member
    Gonna be placing my order in this week. Dvo jade or double barrel now that is the question! I'm also coming off a sb6c. What are the big differences you guys felt and geo? besides the extra added weight of the frame

mtbr member
    I came off an Ibis Mojo SL, and really haven't really noticed the weight, even though it's probably a solid 5-8 pounds heavier, Saint vs XT, and 32mm stanchion fork vs 36mm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Two months ago I replaced my 2015 Balance fram to the 2016 version. I put almost all the components from the old frame on the new one. Except handlebars, stem, new e thirteen 9-44 cassette and pedals to better colormatch the color of the aqua blue suspension link.

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-img_5737_2.jpg

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-fullsizerender.jpg

Fork: Pike 160mm RCT3
    Brakes: Avid Trail x9 on 200mm rotors
    Gears: Sram x01 gears
    Cassette: E thirteen 9-44
    Pedals, stem and handlebar: Chromag
    Wheels: Syntace w35 with Highroller II Maxterra set up tubeless
    Seatpost: ks lev integra 150mm with Southpaw remote trigger
    Saddle: Fizik

I'm stoked with my upgrade, as many have mentioned before in this thread, CF has changed exatly what was missing in the 2014-2015 version. Longer reach, stiffer suspension and slacker HA. On the olld frame I was running a Cane Creek Angleset to slcken the HA to 65 degrees, no need for that anymore.

In the steep and rough stuff, which we have plenty off here on the westcoast of Norway it handles even smoother and better.Good job CG!

BTW is it just here in our part of the world or has Canfield grown in popularity? I sold my 2013 Jedi and the 2013 Balance frame recently and I got a bunch of response on them both. Two years ago it took a long time to sell CF stuff here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    Gonna be placing my order in this week. Dvo jade or double barrel now that is the question! I'm also coming off a sb6c. What are the big differences you guys felt and geo? besides the extra added weight of the frame
    I moved from an SB6 a couple of weeks ago. Moved my component over except the fork and shock. I've only ridden it twice so it's too early to tell but my initial impressions are good. I rode a medium sb6 and am on a medium 2016 Balance. I like the fit of the Canfield better. There a little more reach which works for me. I honestly don't feel the extra 3 pounds. But the bike is plusher than the yeti. And I actually think it climbs better. So all around, I'm glad I made the change. No more worrying about damaging a carbon frame. And for xc/trail days I've got a Ripley LS.

Btw - love the MRP Stage on the Balance. With a similar axle to crown as a Pike, I got an extra 10mm in travel. Awesome fork.

mtbr member
    What BB do I need to put my x1 cranks on the balance? some type of gxp threaded bb? spindle size? I'm not sure. Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    You need 73mm threaded. GXP threaded if SRAM and if looking at q factor, go with the 168 there.

mtbr member
    How many of you futz with your suspension tuning? I had my shop set it up (CCDBair and MRp Stage) and haven't touched it in a month. It's way plusher than the yeti I came off of which had a float X and 2015 Fox 36. So plush that I'm wondering if I should add some psi to firm it up. But I'm not bottoming out and the bike rides so damn well. I'm still new at tinkering with suspension so I'd hate to screw it up. This is my first Canfield so it may just be how they ride. Anyway I'm loving the bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I am in the same boat I am running pretty high pressure. Its a crazy suspension supple and supportive. Pedals way too well
    Last edited by adrennan; 04-19-2016 at 11:18 AM.

mtbr member
    It's how they ride. If you're not blowing through your travel on little stuff, you're fine. If it's too low and you have to start messing with the high speed compression, then consider bumping it up a couple psi first

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Considering switching from my SC Bronson aluminum frame over to this one. I'm short, at 5'3" tall so I currently ride a small frame. I am assuming I would still need a small? I am not concerned with weight, as my SC is no lightweight machine. I am running Saint cranks w/30t chain ring, Saint brakes and Praxis Works 10-40t cassette. I will basically swap my stuff over minus the suspension. I do ride some light DH a few times a year but mainly single track. I will admit I hate to climb but my SC doesn't do too bad so I'm sure the Balance will be comparable, or maybe even better. Is it crazy of me to swap frames since the Bronson is sufficient? My main reason for switching honestly are the looks and geo, mainly the shorter rear stays. It's hard to manual the Bronson with its 17.3" stays. And I love the Raw colored frame with green links. Also, is it beneficial to step up to the coil rear spring over the CC?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by New Guy View Post
    Considering switching from my SC Bronson aluminum frame over to this one. I'm short, at 5'3" tall so I currently ride a small frame. I am assuming I would still need a small? I am not concerned with weight, as my SC is no lightweight machine. I am running Saint cranks w/30t chain ring, Saint brakes and Praxis Works 10-40t cassette. I will basically swap my stuff over minus the suspension. I do ride some light DH a few times a year but mainly single track. I will admit I hate to climb but my SC doesn't do too bad so I'm sure the Balance will be comparable, or maybe even better. Is it crazy of me to swap frames since the Bronson is sufficient? My main reason for switching honestly are the looks and geo, mainly the shorter rear stays. It's hard to manual the Bronson with its 17.3" stays. And I love the Raw colored frame with green links. Also, is it beneficial to step up to the coil rear spring over the CC?
    I can't help with sizing but I had a Bronson v1 carbon size large. I got a medium Balance and the reach seems a bit longer. The Canfield will climb better than the Bronson. It will be noticeable.

mtbr member
    At 5'3", you'll be just fine with the small as it has a nice, low TT. Compared to your other bike, you'll absolutely LOVE the Balance when it's time to get rowdy and you'll be pretty excited about it's climbing capabilities.

mtbr member
    Not crazy at all... seems to be a lot of us Bronson V1 converts on Balances for the same reasons. Bronson wasn't quite enough bike for FR/Park use and the Balance climbs better (because of steeper STA and active suspension under pedaling = roll over obstacles instead of getting hung up on them). Best of both worlds. I was rather concerned over how "flickable" the Balance would be, especially w/ a 170 Lyrik raking it out to 64.5 deg HTA. Was literally shocked that it was not an issue and I was railing tight twisties even faster than on the Bronson (I'm guessing because of the short stays and my riding style). And don't bother w/ a coil shock, the CCDA does a great job tho it does need to be more progressive if you ride aggro. I didn't get any air volume bands w/ the shock - do I have to special order those? How many are you guys using? I need at least 1-2 more in there.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I was in the same boar, I had a Bronson v1 and figured it was alright for regular trail rideing, and not enough bike for park days and the rough fast rides. The Balance filled in all the shortcommings of the Bronson, I have to say that I have not tried the V2 yet.

In my 2014 Balance frame I had one small and one bigger volume reducer, but for the 2016 I have not felt the need for it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Finally took a picture of it all Avalanched out. The Pike cartridge and Woodie definitely take this bike from a 10 to an 11! Rear traction is insane. Took 9 seconds off my 18 Road PBR time in back to back runs with the CCDB Air.

mtbr member
    Sorry to high Jack this thread. Anyone using 28t crankset on their 2015 balance that's not listed as a compatible crankset? If so, how?

I run a 30t now, need a bit more for the steep climbs we have here. I'm running a 1x11

My wife thinks I have only 3 guns

mtbr member
    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-13051670_10153772781954753_6013896102453117396_n.jpg

Maybe this is an option?

mtbr member

Name:	13051670_10153772781954753_6013896102453117396_n.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	1065859

Maybe this is an option?
    I'm running a XX1 Cassette with the 42t now, just wanted to try a 28t crankset before I had to modify my XX1 Cassette to fit the Oneup 44t rear cog. I was hoping to get lighter cranks and try a 28t... I have xt now with a 30t.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by waveslayer View Post
    Sorry to high Jack this thread. Anyone using 28t crankset on their 2015 balance that's not listed as a compatible crankset? If so, how?

I run a 30t now, need a bit more for the steep climbs we have here. I'm running a 1x11

Don't know what not compatible but I'm running a Next SL crank with a 26 absolute black oval ring. Works great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    All this talk about chain rings, normally a suspension is optimized around a certain ring size. Anyone know what that might be on the balance? or does the black magic in those links not care what size ring? I am pushing a 32, a bit lower gear would be nice. thinking a 30.

mtbr member
    All this talk about chain rings, normally a suspension is optimized around a certain ring size. Anyone know what that might be on the balance? or does the black magic in those links not care what size ring? I am pushing a 32, a bit lower gear would be nice. thinking a 30.
    I'm pushing a 30t. Love it. But recently I just mounted some new LB 38mm wheels. I feel, could be just me I need a tad more help. Was thinking of going 28t now. Just to try it. If not I can go back to my 30.

I have a lot of steep climbs where I ride and the extra help, helps!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast