mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Canfield Balance Chain Guide + Oval issues

I have a 2017 Balance, running a 32t Absolute Black oval chainring. I use an MRP AMg V2 guide, as suggested for the bike.

Been having a lot of problems with chain drops on descents. It always falls off to the outside of the cranks (probably since I am in the high gear). I have the guide adjusted correctly.

I called MRP and they sent me an HD guide that encases the chain, but unfortunately it hits the rear suspension...same problem I had with my AMg V1 guide.

For now I just cut up the HD so it's bigger than the AMg guide but not big enough to hit the suspension, but i'm curious if anyone else has had this issue and resolved it or found a different guide that works on the absolute black oval ring and the Canfield suspension.

All it would really take is a slightly "deeper" guide. My cranks still have plenty of clearance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Canfield Balance Chain Guide + Oval issues

I'm running the suggested MRP guide on my balance with a 30t oval chainring from wolfstooth. I haven't had any chain drops. Do you have any extra slack in the chain?

I have the guide adjusted as close as I could get it on the longest part of the oval.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm actually running the chain about 1 link too short to keep the chain a little more taught. I'm starting to wonder if my chainline is a little less-than-optimal and that is contributing to it falling off. It's just weird to me that it *can* fall off with the guide.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I have an oval with MRP chain guide too on my 2016 Balance and have not had any issues. What offset do you have for the chain ring? Canfield recommends a 3mm (boost) offset in the chain ring. Also the rear derailleur should be around 3/4 of an inch from the rings on the cassette. The only other thing that I could think of is that you could have your low stop too far in on the derailleur and not letting it align with the small gear. Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyspoke View Post
    I have an oval with MRP chain guide too on my 2016 Balance and have not had any issues. What offset do you have for the chain ring? Canfield recommends a 3mm (boost) offset in the chain ring. Also the rear derailleur should be around 3/4 of an inch from the rings on the cassette. The only other thing that I could think of is that you could have your low stop too far in on the derailleur and not letting it align with the small gear. Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ohhh, i bet that's my issue then. I am not running the "boost" offset ring, this is just a set of cranks I pulled off my old bike. No other issues currently but I will pick up the correct ring when I get a chance. Thanks!