mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Canfield 9t hub with Shimano Zee rear derailleur?

Any body running the Zee rd with the micro hub? I tried setting it up today and have run into some issues. When setting up the chain at the correct tension (shock fully compressed, biggest cog), it is way to loose when shifted to the 9 tooth cog. If I was to take out another link to tension it appropriately for the 9t cog, after about 1/3 travel of the shock with the chain on the largest cog, the chain hits the derailleur cage. Am I missing something? It is the Zee freeride version so it is compatible with 10spd 36 tooth cassette. At least that's what I ordered and is marked on the box

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I've got a Zee and Canfield 9-36t cassette on my daughter's Anthem. It works, but only just. I think ideally the cage should be slightly longer to work with the 9-36t range, especially on a FS bike where chain growth issues add to the "range" the cage needs to accommodate. All you can do, is set the chain length in the 36t with your suspension at the point of max chain growth. Doing otherwise could result in damage to your drive train. If that then means that in the 9t its too loose, then you really need a longer cage on the derailleur.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah I'm a little surprised it doesn't work. As I understand the One has little to no rearward travel through its arc. Compared to other dh bikes with much more rearward travel I assumed the zee would fit without a problem, since it was designed for this type of application. To be honest I wasn't that impressed with the tension on the 11t cog either. O well, I guess I'll put the SLX med cage back on. My Stumpjumper needed a new der so I was going to put the zee on my One and SLX on the stumpy. The Stumpjumper has 40mm less travel and it's 1x so the Zee shouldn't be a problem...