climb descend repeat
    Feb 2012

Canfield= not what it used to be?

So I recently bought a toir/riot frame. Yay! right? Well kinda. I was told a certain build was in stock, then magically it wasn't after I had paid. The website also said that Topaz shocks would ship with frame. Nope. My shock is now 12 days out and Canfield couldn't be bothered to give me an order number with DVO but claimed it had only been a week. They said DVO could answer questions directly. That should be fun without an order number. I'm so disappointed. We have such an awesome riding culture here in Washington and I was so stoked to support a local company. I'd heard such great things about Canfield customer service. Shoot I even experienced some over a year ago regarding some questions on a crank set. So I stepped up and bought a frame. I couldn't even get simple questions answered like a measurement of the seat tube for drop post insertion or a link to any sort of frame specs for assembly. ( i'm going off some old Balance specs I found online ). I've worked both shipping and receiving and done customer service in the past. This is just sad. The frame also showed up as Riot which leads me to believe there may not have been a 2018 run. Not looking good. Any way, since the guy who took my money can't be bothered to answer questions, does anyone have torque specs for this frame? I've read some reviews stating that if not properly torqued there is substantial lateral play that could lead to premature bearing failure. I'd rather not experience that. I'm hoping it rides way better than the purchase experience suggests. Anyone else have less than positive experiences lately?

mtbr member
    My experience with Canfield was not great at all. Bought a 2015 Riot when they first came out.

1) Was delayed months, which was not really a big deal.

2) The rear triangle on their first batches of Riots was misaligned and they shipped these out this way stating they were still in spec. Fairly sure this was the cause of quite a few DB Inline shock failures and probably caused/will cause premature shock failures.

3) They specced the worst shock they could for the Riot a Cane Creek DB Air, way too much compression that would not blow off or be tuned out (bike rode like crap with that shock).

4) Top tube cracked on mine after only 2 Ĺ years and 1500 miles, this was on fairly easy/light riding. Digging around appears this top tube issue is either a design issue or a manufacturing issue. Quite a few people have developed this same crack on both their Riots and Balances. They also sent out a notice (in this forum) like a year or so ago about not putting on longer forks, so I think they know/knew about this weak/cracking top tube issue.

5) When I went to them about warrantying the Riot. They stated this was outside the 2 year warranty (very weak warranty!!!) and they could do a crash replacement, but they donít have any larges in stock and ďmightĒ have some by the end of the year. So does not look like they have much of or any stock to warranty their frames.

Writing this off as a $2300 lesson and will stick with the big bike manufactures that have better product testing and warranties.
    Last edited by In2falling; 06-13-2018 at 09:54 AM.

climb descend repeat
    Feb 2012
    Wow I'm shocked. I'd heard such great things. I'm hoping I don't have any frame issues. Genuinely concerned over no torque specs for anything being offered. Still excited to ride. Hopefully others are fairing well. Not gonna write them off yet and may still consider a hardtail in the future from them.

mtbr member
    i noticed they've gone quiet over the past few years... wonder how's the development and business going. their social media posts were just re-posts as well...
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    If it's any consolation, the Riot was one of the best riding bikes I've owned and I still miss it. But yes the issues with warranty and communication are troubling indeed. I was hanging out for a carbon Riot but it looks like an issue with the first batch has burned them pretty badly.

mtbr member
    Hmmm...glad I passed on ordering one of the EPO frames that are on sale and went with a dirt cheap used Norco frame instead. I owned a Nimble 9 a few years ago and it was a great frame...never had to use their customer support though. Maybe it was better back then?
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Never had any problem contacting them. Try sending a text to their number. Thatís how I got quick replies. Also had to call DVO about shock and fork. That was easy as they have always answered the phone, but canít remember if I had an order number. Fork was on backorder so the Riot build got delayed a month. Balance frame beat the fork and shock by a couple of weeks. Iím sorry to hear your having trouble. Iím really enjoying my bikes. I hope the brothers are doing good and can get some more bikes to market. They are a small company so I hope they survive Competing against the big manufacturers canít be easy. Good luck with your Riot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I just want the bros to give us a honest look at the business and if we can hope to see their bikes again. Forget new bikes I want to see them crank out true aluminum shred sleds again! They make the best bikes in the biz.
    Last edited by madamfunk; 06-13-2018 at 08:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madamfunk View Post
    I just want the bros to give us a honest look at the business and if we can hope to see their bikes again. Forget new bikes I want to see them crank out true aluminum shred sleds again! They make the best bikes in the biz.
    pity they ended the production of YS... really wish they could have evolved this frame somehow. something like the N9 capable of SS would be great
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpusher View Post
    So I recently bought a toir/riot frame. Yay! right? Well kinda. I was told a certain build was in stock, then magically it wasn't after I had paid. The website also said that Topaz shocks would ship with frame. Nope. My shock is now 12 days out and Canfield couldn't be bothered to give me an order number with DVO but claimed it had only been a week. They said DVO could answer questions directly. That should be fun without an order number. I'm so disappointed. We have such an awesome riding culture here in Washington and I was so stoked to support a local company. I'd heard such great things about Canfield customer service. Shoot I even experienced some over a year ago regarding some questions on a crank set. So I stepped up and bought a frame. I couldn't even get simple questions answered like a measurement of the seat tube for drop post insertion or a link to any sort of frame specs for assembly. ( i'm going off some old Balance specs I found online ). I've worked both shipping and receiving and done customer service in the past. This is just sad. The frame also showed up as Riot which leads me to believe there may not have been a 2018 run. Not looking good. Any way, since the guy who took my money can't be bothered to answer questions, does anyone have torque specs for this frame? I've read some reviews stating that if not properly torqued there is substantial lateral play that could lead to premature bearing failure. I'd rather not experience that. I'm hoping it rides way better than the purchase experience suggests. Anyone else have less than positive experiences lately?
    Kind of the same for me. Ordered the frame and got it quickly, but no shock. Was a bit surprised since the site says the Topaz comes with the frame. Emailed about it and they said itíd be coming from Dvo. Emailed a week later to get an order # or something to contact Dvo and was told to just email them directly.

I will give them (Canfield) credit for being responsive, getting back to me same day, but arenít terribly helpful in their responses.

mtbr member
    If you're selling a frame with a shock there's no excuse for them not coming in the same box at the same time. Otherwise, the combo should not be for sale. And why would a supplier have to answer questions on a part availability? If you're selling the items it's up to you to know and handle the particulars. It sounds like they are just trying to sell as many frames as possible as fast as possible. Ridiculous.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Some of you guys need to take a step back and analyze the situation as it currently is...

This is a small company, a boutique brand. They make a few hundred, maybe a few thousand, bikes per year. They're not a big name brand that makes 10's of thousands and has a team of service reps answering emails and calls. There is 1 guy that answers the phones, replies to your emails, and handles all of the shipping and receiving. His name is Sean, and he's been very forthcoming with me, every time I've had to call or email. He might not answer the first time, but he always calls me back or replies to my emails. They also, typically, rely on their industry partners to ship products on their own, like DVO. I, too, had a frame delayed on a shock. I got my frame within a week of ordering, and the shock came in a week later. Not the end of the world.

Recent events and discussions would indicate that they probably had a problem with their carbon molds and had to re-tool, which is not cheap. Hence the massive fire-sale that depleted most of their inventory. They still keep some spares on hand for emergencies, but if you have a major issue, you may be stuck waiting a bit for them to figure out their production. That's not necessarily a fault of theirs, just a component of a small business trying to keep a constant stream of production. Anyone recall the first few years of production for Evil?

If you want a boutique brand, you better be willing to understand how small companies work, and be able to work within those confines. Otherwise, you should just go buy a Kona and see how long that lasts you...

Just my 2 cents...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    Some of you guys need to take a step back and analyze the situation as it currently is...

This is a small company, a boutique brand. They make a few hundred, maybe a few thousand, bikes per year. They're not a big name brand that makes 10's of thousands and has a team of service reps answering emails and calls. There is 1 guy that answers the phones, replies to your emails, and handles all of the shipping and receiving. His name is Sean, and he's been very forthcoming with me, every time I've had to call or email. He might not answer the first time, but he always calls me back or replies to my emails. They also, typically, rely on their industry partners to ship products on their own, like DVO. I, too, had a frame delayed on a shock. I got my frame within a week of ordering, and the shock came in a week later. Not the end of the world.

Recent events and discussions would indicate that they probably had a problem with their carbon molds and had to re-tool, which is not cheap. Hence the massive fire-sale that depleted most of their inventory. They still keep some spares on hand for emergencies, but if you have a major issue, you may be stuck waiting a bit for them to figure out their production. That's not necessarily a fault of theirs, just a component of a small business trying to keep a constant stream of production. Anyone recall the first few years of production for Evil?

If you want a boutique brand, you better be willing to understand how small companies work, and be able to work within those confines. Otherwise, you should just go buy a Kona and see how long that lasts you...

Just my 2 cents...
    What's wrong with Kona?

A genuine question.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    What's wrong with Kona?

A genuine question.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Nothing. Poster above you is just butthurt for some reason. I'm 3 years on one Kona and 2 years on another and both are 100% fine. Canfield is the same chinese make shit as just about any other bike brand...there's not a damn thing special about the quality of their bikes that puts them above any other brand. Not talking about geo or design...just general quality. And yes....I've also owned a Canfield so I've been able to compare the quality with other brand bikes and there's nothing better or worse about them.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I just ordered an EVO with DVO Sapphire fork. The frame came in a few days still waiting for the fork. I'm OK with that because I got great prices on both items and they are exactly what I want geo wise. I don't have the extra money for the complete build right now anyway.

I know these are Apro Tech Taiwan made frames others use and they have what was cutting edge geo two years ago but common now. I'm happy with that too. I want modern geo but not taken too far. The QC form that came with the frame looks very good, happy to see that. Would have loved to see that with the 2017 Salsa I bought.

I'm rooting for Canfield!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Canfield= not what it used to be?

Just my 2 cents...
    +1

Canfield has been one of the best companies Iíve dealt with in any business both large and small. That includes product and service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2011

Just my 2 cents...
    Yep, I realize itís likely one guy and heís probably busy. Iím not really upset about having to wait a bit for the shock, just wish theyíd have mentioned the shock came separately and may be out of stock with DVO (the reason for the delay in the shock) because I might have ordered slightly differently and went with a Jade.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Oh, on a side note, Iíd totally purchase another frame from them if they get the carbon issue sorted on the Riot. Iím happy with my Epo and am looking forward to building the Riot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fontarin View Post
    Oh, on a side note, Iíd totally purchase another frame from them if they get the carbon issue sorted on the Riot. Iím happy with my Epo and am looking forward to building the Riot.
    When I ordered my Balance, Sean let me know my Jade would come separate from my frame directly from DVO. He returned my call within the hour and then took the time walk through how to set up the Balance, fork and shock choices and even the merits of plus tires on the N9 and Honzo. He kept me updated on the shipping of my frame and shock too. They arrived a few days apart.

climb descend repeat
    Feb 2012
    Seems like it has been a mixed bag with folks recently. Hopefully there aren't larger issues causing the setbacks etc. That was what I was trying to get at originally. I'd love to see a carbon wonder bike from the bros and a resurrected Yeli Screamy with boost spacing. I'm really excited to get this thing built and I genuinely wish no ill on Canfield. Busy or not, I Just can't fathom why I can't get torque specs for the frame. Also not being able to get an invoice number for the shock or tracking number is simply unacceptable. I order parts for a fleet of 200 vehicles and have never not received a pick ticket/order number/invoice etc. that allowed me to track the sale/shipment. I'll try again Monday in hopes that 2 weeks was enough time to place an order with DVO and get an invoice. I just needed to vent somewhere and was curious if anyone else had some restless experiences. Cheers folks and happy trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Small businesses do not and can not keep a large inventory. They depend on the just in time inventory mantra. My family have small businesses and times can be tough. There were times when we couldn't pay ourselves and times when we couldn't keep up with all the work, feast or famine.

When my buddies and I ordered our Canfields, the shocks came separately. One guy ordered a fork through them and it came directly from the manufacturer not Canfield. They have frames in their warehouse, however, since they give you a choice for shocks, that item is ordered from that manufacturer when the customer places their order instead of keeping a bunch of different shocks on hand. As a very small business, that is not feasible. The big S doesn't give you a choice for shocks, you get what they give you. So in retrospective, Dvo is who you should have the beef with. I believe they are running behind on some of their shocks. Another small company btw.

I like to support the small companies for obvious reasons. Yes, there are time when things get delayed. One thing for sure is the passion and pride that small companies have for their product. The Balance is the best riding bike I've owned to date. Will I buy another Canfield? Yes.

Nubster, Taiwan manufacturing is above and beyond China. Plus, Taiwanese do NOT like to be called Chinese.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottieM8 View Post
    Nubster, Taiwan manufacturing is above and beyond China. Plus, Taiwanese do NOT like to be called Chinese.
    Whatever. Doesn't matter if they like being called Chinese...they are. Point is...Canfield bikes come from the same ****ing place as a Kona and the difference in quality is nil.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Bunch of emotional crap. Canfield was, and is, a small company, with all the pros and cons that come with that.
    Probably more like "same as they always were, having never been what some people built them up in their minds to be".
    If you bought a Canfield because it was different, because of the geo or suspension design you wanted, well, you got that.
    But I've never seen them claim to be anything they aren't, so if your expectations of that small business are unreasonable, that's your own fault.

I feel for anyone having issues, though, especially the guys with broken frames. I'm not into "things", and don't care about the stuff most people do, but as much as I can a toy, I love my Riot, and can imagine my disappointment if I were in the same boat.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottieM8 View Post
    When my buddies and I ordered our Canfields, the shocks came separately. One guy ordered a fork through them and it came directly from the manufacturer not Canfield. They have frames in their warehouse, however, since they give you a choice for shocks, that item is ordered from that manufacturer when the customer places their order instead of keeping a bunch of different shocks on hand. As a very small business, that is not feasible. The big S doesn't give you a choice for shocks, you get what they give you. So in retrospective, Dvo is who you should have the beef with. I believe they are running behind on some of their shocks. Another small company btw.
    Totally understand. I know they can't keep several different shocks in stock. I assumed they'd have Topaz shocks shipping with the frame because they note on the website that Jades and Push shocks ship separately - "Please note - Push and DVO Jade shocks will be shipped separately from your frame order."

Maybe I should have asked instead of making that assumption. /shrug

mtbr member
    I received my riot about a month ago,(to hawaii)frame came real quick and shock about a week later, both companies responded very quickly when i inquired about details of product and shipping (tracking). the bike is awesome, almost want to buy another just to hoard it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Whatever. Doesn't matter if they like being called Chinese...they are. Point is...Canfield bikes come from the same ****ing place as a Kona and the difference in quality is nil.
    Konas are trash, everyone knows it, get with the times.

Ever wonder why they don't make a Carbon DH sled anymore?

Ever wonder why they're not available at the big bike parks anymore?

I encourage everyone to ride whatever makes them happy. But with the sheer numbers of broken frames and warranty horror stories I've been privy to, Kona is not something I would wish on my worst enemy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Exactly Kona is easily one of the lowest quality bikes on the market. Canfield is (was?) light years ahead.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    My guess is... Canfield is basically in a holding pattern.

They have a very minimal inventory right now, save for some small goods like pedals and cranks, etc.. which is probably because of the issues with their foray into Carbon manufacturing.

With minimal inventory and very few orders to fulfill, they are probably spending time doing what they love. I know Sean is in Moab on a dirt bike, cheers to him for getting some well deserved time off!

You can either wait it out and see what your favorite biking bros come up with, or you can keep shopping around for something you like better. Me, personally, I've ridden just about every other brand available, and there currently isn't anything that offers me more than my Balance, so I'm just gonna ride my bike and have fun!

Hopefully they get it figured out, they're great guys that make amazing bikes and the industry needs more little guys! That's where the true innovation comes from!

rollin
    I would say that their bikes are still what they used to be. Great handling, excellent suspension design, built with strength as a priority, great looking bikes.

However, I believe this year was rough for them with the issues they had developing their carbon frame. They are a very small company, operated by no more than three people. It's not easy for such a small company to absorb a hit in the development process and as a result, they are going through a transition this year.

Hopefully they get everything sorted out and back on track to producing fun bikes.

mtbr member
    Konas are trash, everyone knows it, get with the times.

Ever wonder why they don't make a Carbon DH sled anymore?

Ever wonder why they're not available at the big bike parks anymore?

I encourage everyone to ride whatever makes them happy. But with the sheer numbers of broken frames and warranty horror stories I've been privy to, Kona is not something I would wish on my worst enemy.
    Yeah...because I only have 1000's of miles on mine with zero issues. Go talk out your ass somewhere else.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpusher View Post
    Seems like it has been a mixed bag with folks recently. Hopefully there aren't larger issues causing the setbacks etc. That was what I was trying to get at originally. I'd love to see a carbon wonder bike from the bros and a resurrected Yeli Screamy with boost spacing. I'm really excited to get this thing built and I genuinely wish no ill on Canfield. Busy or not, I Just can't fathom why I can't get torque specs for the frame. Also not being able to get an invoice number for the shock or tracking number is simply unacceptable. I order parts for a fleet of 200 vehicles and have never not received a pick ticket/order number/invoice etc. that allowed me to track the sale/shipment. I'll try again Monday in hopes that 2 weeks was enough time to place an order with DVO and get an invoice. I just needed to vent somewhere and was curious if anyone else had some restless experiences. Cheers folks and happy trails.
    Its been mentioned before. No torque specs. The treading is done in a way that you tighten till it won't tighten anymore. Make sure everything is clean and greased well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Yeah...because I only have 1000's of miles on mine with zero issues. Go talk out your ass somewhere else.

Maybe you've just gotten lucky with your frames, maybe you don't ride as hard as the people I ride with, but your personal luck with your frames is not indicative of the company's history, as a whole. Just ask the shop techs at places that (used to) rent them, they know... Kona may have stepped up their game in the last few years, but there are literally thousands of stories of broken frames and non-existent warranty coverage.

Ever wonder why Kona is no longer offered for demo bikes at the big parks? Whistler had the Kona Garbanzo made specifically for the park. See many of those around still? Trestle used to have a fleet of Kona operators until most of them broke while being ridden.

Oh, and the Kona forum is that way. Bye Felicia. ----->

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    GG has great service, but you gotta get in line for the build que.

Bummer for the Bros, it was a good run, but it's hard to keep a small company running, esp when the competition can make more, faster, and for less $$.

I was waiting too, but saw the threads and realized they were done. Went with a GG Smash, two months of waitin is almost over

Enjoy what the Bros did and not what they didn't, it's easier to make peace with yourself that way.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29
    XMed GG Smash 29
    Lrg Devinci Hendrix 27+
    Med Specialize Levo FSR 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    GG has great service, but you gotta get in line for the build que.

Bummer for the Bros, it was a good run, but it's hard to keep a small company running, esp when the competition can make more, faster, and for less $$.

I was waiting too, but saw the threads and realized they were done. Went with a GG Smash, two months of waitin is almost over

Enjoy what the Bros did and not what they didn't, it's easier to make peace with yourself that way.
    They could come back after a move to Utah. Every one loves a good comeback story lol. But the Smash is high on my list of they dont.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Just hold on to your hard earned cash. If you already own their bikes there is no reason to upgrade, the geo and spec was ahead of its time already. You can fit boost wheels in the Tior and Balance and upgrade your fork if you really get itchy

GG is great but the unsupported regions of the FSR linkage and the issues with unthreading are enough to keep me away from their V1. I'd rather wait for the Canfield brand to reemerge.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    If you're selling a frame with a shock there's no excuse for them not coming in the same box at the same time. Otherwise, the combo should not be for sale. And why would a supplier have to answer questions on a part availability? If you're selling the items it's up to you to know and handle the particulars. It sounds like they are just trying to sell as many frames as possible as fast as possible. Ridiculous.
    Frames come from Canfield, Shocks come from DVO. It saves them from having to have inventory. Same happened to me.

If they were trying to sell as many as possible, I think the would have been wise to restock. They haven't had much in way of inventory all year.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Has anyone actually seen a "Toir"? I think they just changed the name on the website to avoid a lawsuit. Every picture of the bike in the wild says "Riot". I am totally okay with that =P

I asked about the EPO - they said more stock coming - next year.

I ordered my Riot end of 2017 - and I freaking love it.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    Has anyone actually seen a "Toir"? I think they just changed the name on the website to avoid a lawsuit. Every picture of the bike in the wild says "Riot". I am totally okay with that =P

I asked about the EPO - they said more stock coming - next year.

I ordered my Riot end of 2017 - and I freaking love it.
    It's the same, name spelled backwards to avoid a law suite.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    It's the same, name spelled backwards to avoid a law suite.
    Yeah....I get that much.

But I don't think they actually made any with "Tori" printed on the frame.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    Yeah....I get that much.

But I don't think they actually made any with "Tori" printed on the frame.
    Who is this "Tori" you speak of? Is she hot? Any pics?
    No dig no whine

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post
    Who is this "Tori" you speak of? Is she hot? Any pics?
    Nice :P
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    There's 14 people viewing this forum. Ellsworth.... 7. So, we got that going for us. 

mtbr member
    Every time I ride my Balance it just puts a stupid smile on my face how capable and fun it is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by I_AM View Post
    Every time I ride my Balance it just puts a stupid smile on my face how capable and fun it is.
    Iím with you. Whether itís my balance epo or nimble Iím always blown away by them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yep, I have a toiR and a first run Yelli. Given the way bike manufacturing works, you have to front cash and build a year's worth of inventory through contract manufacturers. They had to make a design change on the new 29er and missed the window for 2018. Hopefully they'll be back for 2019, I'm certainly rooting for them.