RideDirt

New question here. Calling Jedi owners please ?

So I hear a lot of hype and that the jedi really is a beast for DH. I don't have a lot of experience but what feedback can you guys give please? What other DH bike can you compare it to and what's so special about the Jedi? My down hill season ended early due to a bad crash so I sold my kona operator and built up a knolly chilcoltin for my AM riding and FR fun at bike parks but im really itching for a big bike to handle all the rough chop and fast speeds. Im not really great at drops or jumping, but I do hit some normal size stuff, im more into the rough steep rocks and crazy rough trails.

I been thinking about a banshee legend frame or a turner DHR frame or the new Jedi. I dont race and im not the best rider but I do enjoy quality products and technology. Honestly tho im leaning more towards the Jedi.

RideDirt
    Hmm not even 1 owner can chime in huh . Maybe there is a small group of Jedi owners .

mtbr member

Ride a Jedi like the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse is on your ass!

Well, I've been on a 1998 and 2009 Karpiel Disco and a 2001 Armageddon (VPP), a Tomac 204 (single pivot), and Spec FSR (trail bike), and now a handful of Santa Cruz trail bikes (VPP), and not a single one feel like a Jedi.
    Jedis are sized small for an equivalent size frame of other brands so it's whippy. But the way the suspension works, it can be a total plow machine. It jumps like other multi-pivoted bike...which is to say it doesn't pop like a single pivot...or at least I've never been able to tune in a lot of pop. But again because of the way the suspension works, you can haul some serious mail! When you do take the bike into the air, it flies neutral. The most amazing thing tho, is when you come up short on landings...it will save your ass w/ that rear-moving axle path!

Bottom line...if you're on one, the more you commit the more rewards you'll get back. If you're half-assed about committing down a tech line, the bike will throw you a beating like a Canadian club on a baby seal!

Edit: ...at least that's my experience w/ the '11 and '12. For '13, I went up one size.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Hmm not even 1 owner can chime in huh . Maybe there is a small group of Jedi owners .
    The Jedi is an amazing DH bike. The rearward travel has the tendency to 'save' you from cased jumps and bad landings because it is unlike any other suspension design out there. It's also ****ing beautiful.

I imagine your question wasn't answered because it is one that could easily be answered by 10 seconds of searching on the forum.

Canfield has amazing customer service and you will get more one on one help from them than any other bike company in the industry period.

RideDirt
    Sweet , well these are the replies i like to see . Yes i have searched before and have seen many positive reviews as i stated in my thread but i wanted to hear it for my own reassurance before pulling the trigger on an expensive build . What i like to hear is how owners can compare it to other DH bikes they have been on . So for me to hear a reply from said user pau11y is better then someone that has just owned 1 bike . Sorry if people seem this thread to be searchable or a noob post . Thanks

mtbr member
    I don't race either...but the crew I ride with live at the resort (Trestle Bike Park, CO) and we fly around that mountain. So, my wknd warrior-ing chasing daily riders...I need every mechanical advantage I can get

All I can say is get one, and quickly, before they're all gone!

Oh, here's one more unique thing about the Jedi...
    Do you ever feel like your bike (the Kona or the Knolly) slows down in the chunder as the rear wheel gets hung up on rocks? The Jedi tends to speed up in the same terrain! It's a trippy feeling for sure! When you plow into chunder and think the trail will slow you down to make corners so you don't have to brake as much? It don't work on a Jedi! So when you build, get good brakes!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    I don't race either...but the crew I ride with live at the resort (Trestle Bike Park, CO) and we fly around that mountain. So, my wknd warrior-ing chasing daily riders...I need every mechanical advantage I can get

All I can say is get one, and quickly, before they're all gone!

Oh, here's one more unique thing about the Jedi...
    Do you ever feel like your bike (the Kona or the Knolly) slows down in the chunder as the rear wheel gets hung up on rocks? The Jedi tends to speed up in the same terrain! It's a trippy feeling for sure! When you plow into chunder and think the trail will slow you down to make corners so you don't have to brake as much? It don't work on a Jedi! So when you build, get good brakes!
    The Kona did seem to slowdown a bit in the chunder yes haha , the Knolly i will be testing out soon . I appreciate your feedback man .

Canfield Brothers
    aedubber - Sorry for the delay on my response. We have been SLAMMED all week with getting the '13 Jedi's out the door and shooting all 14 color combinations for the new site, (2 frame colors, 7 link colors). As soon as I have those edited, I'll post them all up on our Facebook page and the new site will be live in March.

Prior to coming on board as Director of Sales, I was a 6 year Canfield Brothers customer. Over the years I bought 8 bikes, 5 of which were Jedis. I also ran a shop in VT that carried quite a few different bikes and always chose to BUY MY CANFIELD'S over other options. Vertr put it really well... The bike will save your A$$ when it all goes bad. I'll let our riders tell you more about the bike, but I will add that all four of us at Canfield are all VERY passionate riders and we are 100% here for you!

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post
    aedubber - Sorry for the delay on my response. We have been SLAMMED all week with getting the '13 Jedi's out the door and shooting all 14 color combinations for the new site, (2 frame colors, 7 link colors). As soon as I have those edited, I'll post them all up on our Facebook page and the new site will be live in March.

Prior to coming on board as Director of Sales, I was a 6 year Canfield Brothers customer. Over the years I bought 8 bikes, 5 of which were Jedis. I also ran a shop in VT that carried quite a few different bikes and always chose to BUY MY CANFIELD'S over other options. Vertr put it really well... The bike will save your A$$ when it all goes bad. I'll let our riders tell you more about the bike, but I will add that all four of us at Canfield are all VERY passionate riders and we are 100% here for you!
    Yea i have seen your posts and your canfield love . Saw your thread about the new frames as well which looks great . Do you guys offer any type of demo ? Im in NJ and been looking to come up to VT to rip some of those fine trails .

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Yea i have seen your posts and your canfield love . Saw your thread about the new frames as well which looks great . Do you guys offer any type of demo ? Im in NJ and been looking to come up to VT to rip some of those fine trails .
    We do have TON of riders down out that way. The last few times I rode Creek, there was quite a few Jedi's rolling around. We moved the company out to Bellingham, WA last summer... So, come out to Whistler and you can certainly take my bike for some hot laps!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I am also considering the Jedi for my next build but my concern is with some riders saying they had issues with the rearward travel. Turning and jumping specifically. I'm a fairly aggressive rider and I enjoy tech sections, chunk and have a blast in the air. I'm not hitting anything bigger than AKine or Dirt Merchant. Although Crabapple Hits was looking like so much fun last year.
    Does the rearward travel really make that big of a difference in the turns and jumps?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    When people talk about turning and jumping they are essentially talking about the same thing in regards to the Jedi and that is how the energy is released on rearward path bikes. This is attributed a lot to the wheelpath and also the shock and tune you are running. In situations where you compress hard through the pedals and expect a big bounce back like on a lip of a jump or coming out of a berm will not bounce as much on a rearward bike. This does not make them bad, just less poppy. I find my Jedi, however, plenty playful and have no problem with it on jump lines at all. I find it very fun on trails like Crabapple Hits and Dirty Merchant. Like any modern geo DH bike, it will be a chore on slow speed tight corner trails but once you learn to trust that the rear won't hang up and commit to getting your weight distributed properly, it will reward you with great handling through corners at speed. And that wheelpath gives ample reward as your speed increases. A buddy who rides a Transition traded me and said my bike was like cheating when the trails picked up the pace.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thank you very much. Your explanation makes much more sense than "it was hard to turn" or "it threw me forward off this lip" so i always figured there was more to

Canfield Brothers
    SavageOne - Where are you located? You are more then welcome to take a spin on Sean's or my bike if you can come out to Bellingham!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks for the offer but I am in SLC. By the time I'm near Bellingham it will be for our yearly trip to Whistler and I'll have a bike by then.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I am in Boise and Canfield's have family in Salt Lake as well so you may get a chance. If up in my area, let me know. Have a large Jedi and a large One you could check out.