mtbr member
    Apr 2011

BOLU Bearings? Bummer.

I was under the impression that these bikes came spec'ed with Enduro Max bearings, but I went through the rear suspension this afternoon and found all BOLU (chinese) bearings.

2017 model with about 600 miles and a few of the seals have already let dirt in... And grease out. The balls are loose and appear to be lubed with some white lithium or similar. Really cheap.

Just a little disappointing. I would have been happy to pay an extra few bucks for the frame to get some quality bearings in there.

They're all 6902's (x8) so there are plenty of quality options available.
    Last edited by Porch; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My bearings seem to have held up ok for two seasons, but I'm thinking it is time to replace them. Any recommendations for what to use? Is there something better than Enduro Max? ... I like to hose my bike down on the regular

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Is there a good guide on how to do it? Is it worth the time to do it yourself and not just pay the lbs?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I don't know if they've gotten better, but I've had some quality issues with Enduro before. There aren't a whole lot of other choices. I'm a bit of an SKF fanboy, but they're about $10/each versus $6 each for the Enduro Max.

There's a kit on RWC: CANFIELD Suspension Pivot Bearing Kits from RWC

Probably need a bearing puller/press too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madamfunk View Post
    Is there a good guide on how to do it? Is it worth the time to do it yourself and not just pay the lbs?
    Depends on whether you have a good LBS that you trust vs. your mechanical skills. I haven't seen a guide specifically on the Canfield frames (haven't looked either).

The low tech DIY method if you don't have a bearing press is to tap out the old bearings evenly with a punch, then use the back side of an appropriately sized socket and a rubber/plastic mallet to gently/evenly tap the new bearings in.

But, if you aren't patient and try to force things you can damage the new bearings or if you're really ham fisted even mess up a frame or suspension link.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    I don't know if they've gotten better, but I've had some quality issues with Enduro before. There aren't a whole lot of other choices. I'm a bit of an SKF fanboy, but they're about $10/each versus $6 each for the Enduro Max.

There's a kit on RWC: CANFIELD Suspension Pivot Bearing Kits from RWC

Probably need a bearing puller/press too.
    I was doing some research about Enduro Max alternatives last night. It doesn't seem like SKF makes anything that is rated for high loads like the Enduro Max. Am I missing something?

mtbr member
    Interesting, the older frames used to use Enduro Maxx. At least my '13 the One did. Has me interested in pulling my '17 balance apart to check on the bearings.

I don't remember ever running across cartridge bearings with loose balls without a retainer. Sounds sketchy. If the bearings aren't running too rough I'll usually pry the seals, flush the grit with solvent, blow clean with the air compressor, and repack with thicker waterproof grease.

Not sure I wan't to mess with that if I pry the seals and loose ball bearings start falling out, or worse yet blasting with an air compressor and launching the bearings across my garage floor.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post
    Interesting, the older frames used to use Enduro Maxx. At least my '13 the One did. Has me interested in pulling my '17 balance apart to check on the bearings.

I don't remember ever running across cartridge bearings with loose balls without a retainer. Sounds sketchy. If the bearings aren't running too rough I'll usually pry the seals, flush the grit with solvent, blow clean with the air compressor, and repack with thicker waterproof grease.

Not sure I wan't to mess with that if I pry the seals and loose ball bearings start falling out, or worse yet blasting with an air compressor and launching the bearings across my garage floor.
    The bearings are still held in there with a groove in both races, so they can't just fall out. But they are free to rub up on each other, unlike a bearing with a separator between the balls.

These are 6902VRS bearings. I did some quick searching on the VRS, and it doesn't even seem like a good fit for the application. The "V" series seals are not very good at keeping out dirt and water, so they're usually used in higher-speed applications where less friction is important.

I took mine apart intending to just inspect and re-grease, but honestly with the seals they have, i'm just going to end up having to do it again every year. I just ordered some Enduro Maxx bearings so I don't have to take them apart again next year. Just disappointed that I am doing this on a nearly-new bike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    My 2016 Balance has Enduro Max bearings. Odd the new models dont have them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottieM8 View Post
    My 2016 Balance has Enduro Max bearings. Odd the new models dont have them.
    Can you take a picture of them on your frame? I think there is an angle you can take a photo of the ones by the linkage. I'm curious if mine are the same.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Can you take a picture of them on your frame? I think there is an angle you can take a photo of the ones by the linkage. I'm curious if mine are the same.
    My frame is currently in pieces, but here's what I've got and next to it is the new Enduro Max with the black oxide treatment.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks dude - looks like what I have :/ Do you have a legit bearing press to do this?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I do an annual tear down at spring and that's when I noticed mine had Enduro bearings. Sorry don't have pics as I don't feel like tearing apart until next spring. I do have one of the earlier 2016 models.

As far as removing bearings, I use a punch or an extender from my socket kit and hammer out slowly. To install, i have a long bolt, couple on nuts and appropriate sized washers and there's your press. It will cost a couple of bucks from Lowes. Heard people use the old bearings in place of the washers to guide in the new one. You can use a vise for that method.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I bought a Wheels Manufacturing 6902 bearing extractor for $20 (see image below), but normally I've used a punch and a hammer. I'll just use a vice and the old bearings for re-assembly. You can also buy a "cheap" threaded bearing press for another $35 or so.

Name:  tl4103-01.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  26.7 KB

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Finally got my bearings replaced. What a pain in the ass.

The bearing replacement is easy, but getting the lower link into the rear swing arm is a major pain. It has two little washers on each side that easily deform, and the whole thing is a press fit.

I froze the link and warmed the swing arm but it still wasn't easy. You have to align 7 pieces pretty well to get the bolt through. Not fun at all. The washers should probably be replaced by a bearing with a 1.5mm wider inner race... But I could only find bearings with a 2.5mm wider inner race.

Overall, thumbs down for these cheap $hit Chinese bearings.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    Finally got my bearings replaced. What a pain in the ass.

The bearing replacement is easy, but getting the lower link into the rear swing arm is a major pain. It has two little washers on each side that easily deform, and the whole thing is a press fit.

I froze the link and warmed the swing arm but it still wasn't easy. You have to align 7 pieces pretty well to get the bolt through. Not fun at all. The washers should probably be replaced by a bearing with a 1.5mm wider inner race... But I could only find bearings with a 2.5mm wider inner race.

Overall, thumbs down for these cheap $hit Chinese bearings.
    damn... that's unfortunate. Haven't checked mine, but they are due for full rebuild soon.
    Thanks for all the info.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I think that what I should have done is buy a cheap 15mm thru axle, then cut it to the exact width of the bearings + shims. That way I could keep all the bearings/shims in line while I tapped the link into the rear swingarm with a rubber mallet. Once it's all lined up, pull the cut-up thru axle out and put the bolt through. Hindsight!