Captain Climber

Biggest and best 29" wheel/tire combo for non-boost N9?

I have a 2014 N9 and ride with Stan's Crest rims, hope pro 2 hubs and Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4 tires. In theory my tires are probably to wide for my rims but they feel really nice. I'm sure the feel will only get better with wider rims and tires but how far can I go? My tire/wheel setup is pretty light so I'm also a little worried about how the extra weight will feel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Biggest and best 29" wheel/tire combo for non-boost N9?

I have essentially the same bike and was wondering how an Arch Mk3 29 would change things.

Ultimately I decided to try B+ as I figured if I was lacing up new hoops why not go all the way and try B+ instead of an "incremental" change that I may or may not notice. Yes I have the added expense of new tires, but at least I'll know if I like B+. Worst case I can go back to 29.

Not a direct answer to your question, but a potential solution if you're interested in wider rims.

I went with 35mm rims and 2.8 Rocket Rons. Haven't gotten the wheels yet so can't give my impressions yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain Climber
    Actually I just got some I35s to try the B+ thing out so thanks for the tire recommendation for that. I just want to get the best out of the 29" tires so I can compare the two and help me make up my mind which I will prefer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    Actually I just got some I35s to try the B+ thing out so thanks for the tire recommendation for that. I just want to get the best out of the 29" tires so I can compare the two and help me make up my mind which I will prefer.
    I understand. I've agonized over the two for a year now. At some point I believe one has to try them and see for themselves. I don't feel I ever get much from demo rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain Climber
    I wonder if a 29" 2.6 will fit on the 2014 N9? After reading this article and watching the video I think I will stick with Alum rims...
    https://dirtmountainbike.com/feature...need-them.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    29er wheels and 2.4 -2.5'' MAXXIS tires! Best option period for a mountain bike that DOES everything well!

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by gollub01 View Post
    29er wheels and 2.4 -2.5'' MAXXIS tires! Best option period for a mountain bike that DOES everything well!
    What's the best inner rim size to run these on? 27, 30 or 35mm? Wonder if I could get a 2.6 on here

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    30mm makes a nice profile. I believe it is also a base inner width for the WT versions.

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by A_street View Post
    30mm makes a nice profile. I believe it is also a base inner width for the WT versions.
    Thanks... the Crests I have are 21mm inner width so it will be interesting to see how the 2.4 Racing Ralph changes with a larger wheel. I'm still hoping a 2.6 would work on it in 29" too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gollub01 View Post
    I agree...I've been rockin' 2.5 Minions (29") on Spank 345's (30mm internal) ~ Insane grip, cornering, dampening.

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by mayha View Post
    I agree...I've been rockin' 2.5 Minions (29") on Spank 345's (30mm internal) ~ Insane grip, cornering, dampening.
    I may have to try some larger rims in 29 on this bike to see how it compares to my new B+ setup. I've been hearing a lot of talk about Spank rims lately. What's everyone like about them?

If you can get the 2.5 on, I wonder if a 2.6 will work?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    I may have to try some larger rims in 29 on this bike to see how it compares to my new B+ setup. I've been hearing a lot of talk about Spank rims lately. What's everyone like about them?

If you can get the 2.5 on, I wonder if a 2.6 will work?
    The Spanks are strong and light. I have them on my RIOT. Respectably light for a strong aluminum rim. I ride mostly technical trails with 5-8 foot drops, but I've also taken them downhilling and off a 20 foot drop. Still perfectly true. I believe the volume of the 2.6 29" will be too much and cause some rubbing...The tire profile of the 2.5 Minions on the 345 Spanks are spot on!

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by mayha View Post
    The Spanks are strong and light. I have them on my RIOT. Respectably light for a strong aluminum rim. I ride mostly technical trails with 5-8 foot drops, but I've also taken them downhilling and off a 20 foot drop. Still perfectly true. I believe the volume of the 2.6 29" will be too much and cause some rubbing...The tire profile of the 2.5 Minions on the 345 Spanks are spot on!
    Thanks for the info... I might have to try some Spanks for my next wheel build