mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Better combo - Two N9s or one N9 and one Yelli?

Anyone have two N9's? Or a Yelli and a N9?

I ask because I just built my N9 up as a single speed and it freaking rocks. By far my favorite bike I have ever ridden. Combine that with the fact I am paranoid about my Spearfish frame cracking. This has been common lately on here and the Spearfish facebook page. Even though I have beaten my pretty good and haven't had any issues I can't get the idea out of my head. I am thinking about selling my Spearfish frame to put the parts on another bike.

Right now my N9 is SS, 140mm F34. She's a blast to ride, but kind of a pig on the weight side for a single speed. Thinking about another N9 or a Yelli to put the big fork and gears on to handle the rougher rides and/or the rides with loose climbs (just not single speeds' forte' to climb out of saddle in the loose stuff), and then run my current N9 single speed with my 100mm Reba RL.

Thoughts? I just can't decide. The blue Yelli seems to be calling my name, especially at a full pound lighter than the N9, but the N9 and steel is just so smooth...

human dehumidifier
    All I can offer is to say that my 100mm N9 is like a guided missile in the kind of rolling twisting single track where single speeds really shine.

(I started out with it single speed, but now it's 1x9 but I try my best to stay +/- 1 cog to my single speed equivalent on the cassette so I ride it as if it's a single speed unless the going gets steep.)
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My first option was a Transition Trans Am or N9. The Trans Am wasn't available and the N9 was heavier than the previous version so I went Yelli. I am always looking for the next best thing but that hasn't hit me after 1 year of frequent use.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I had a yelli and now have the current n9. IMHO the ride quality is better on the n9, and feel less beat up riding it. They yelli rear triangle is freaking stiff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    jonshonda... thanks for that. This is the kind of feedback I am hoping for! Not a decision maker, but it sure helps.

FWIW I'll be rolling Ardent 2.4s on either frame front and rear...

mtbr member
    I'll throw my 2 cents in here. I rode a gen 1 N9 for about a year, and I loved it. Rode is single speed for 99% of the time including some really long races. The last ride on it had gears, and it was a ton of fun with gears. I recently switched to a Yelli. I got my first ride on it last night, and it's amazing. Stiffer than the N9, but it had a more lively feel to it. In a perfect world I would have 1 of each. The Yelli is currently set up 1 x 9 with a 120mm fork. I will be 1 x 10 soon, and it will eventually have a 140mm fork. One last thing. Both setups had Ardent 2.4 on Arches front and rear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have both, the N9 v1 and the Yelli.
    N9 is the best frame for SS or epic rides or any kind of cruising, the Yelli (2X10) is the most fun bike ever.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Better combo - Two N9s or one N9 and one Yelli?-img_2635_web.jpg  

Better combo - Two N9s or one N9 and one Yelli?-img_3217_web.jpg  

mtbr member
    Yelli! Lighter and stiffer is always better, right? I came off a gucci steel bike and hated it (horrible geometry, mushy ride quality). I will say that I loved a certain steel bike at one point but prefer to optimize ride quality with tire selections and avoid frame flex. Nothing wrong with alloy for me and I can only echo what others have said about the bike. It rips.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Okay. Sold. Soon as my Spearfish frame sells I am getting a Yelli.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Fish is gone and a blue medium Yelli has been ordered.

Although they are on preorder until the end of next month...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    You will love the blue yelli. I freaking love mine
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    iDream Images