mtbr member

Bar and Stem combo for AM riding?

I'm going to a shorter 50mm stem and wider 720mm bars on my Yelli set up, I think it's the only thing that could make the bike handle better on the steep stuff. It already corners so quickly I'm a little worried that it will be twitchy with the shorter stem, hence the slightly wider bar.

The biggest area where I want to make improvements with my riding is the steep DH sections. I figure I can keep my "XC" set up for any time I plan a longer ride involving gravel road pedaling and racing.

Posting this here since I trust the feedback of another Canfield rider. Thanks for any opinions.

While I'm at it, I've considered going to a 140 mm fork on the Yelli. Would love any opinions of Yelli riders who may have ridden a 120 v. 140 on the bike! Overforking my last 29er made it feel like crap but I know the Yelli can go to 140 no prob.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I run a setup with a 140mm fork + 45mm stem + 777mm (spank 777) bars and love it. But I will warn you that with the slack seat tube angle (as in your weight is pretty far back) keeping the front wheel down on steep climbs is a challenge. I also am a Clyde so when I am sitting on the bike it pretty much acts like a 120mm fork with the sag.

For me, my biggest challenge for AM was finding a wheelset which would not break or go out of true after each ride. I ended up having to build a custom set with Velocity P-35 rims on hadley hubs + DTSwiss Alpine3 DH racing spokes and Specialized Purgatory 2.4/2.2" tubeless setup.

For drive train I run a 3x10 setup which was a challenge to get installed properly on the frame as well as suffering occasional chain sucks.
    Last edited by jdusto; 06-03-2013 at 08:08 AM. Reason: grammer
    The quiver: 2010 Santa Cruz Nomad, 2011 Specialized Demo II, 2011 Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I run:
    RaceFace Turbine 90mm +/-6 stem
    RaceFace Turbine 3/4" riser bar 720mm

The Raceface Turbine line of products seemed to be the best choice based on price/weight/color options.

Step is flipped down in the -6 position for FL riding (where I live). When I go up north to GA NC, I just flipped the step to the +6. This setup has worked perfect.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am running bars and stem from Loaded USA - 710mm AmXc low-rise bar and 45mm AmX stem. I started running wider bars a few years ago on previous bikes and have loved it in all situations. Some folks run really really wide bars but on the trails around me there are a few tree gaps that I judge to be about 715mm wide. I do think it's a good idea to shorten the stem a little to match.

What are you running now?

On the fork side of things I've got a Fox Float 34 150mm and it's fun. The increased A-C of the 34 model makes it close to the length that a normal 160mm would be. I am thinking I'll drop it (internally) to 140 or 130 after a Pisgah trip in a few weeks. Very steep climbs are a challenge...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blawson View Post
    I am running bars and stem from Loaded USA - 710mm AmXc low-rise bar and 45mm AmX stem. I started running wider bars a few years ago on previous bikes and have loved it in all situations. Some folks run really really wide bars but on the trails around me there are a few tree gaps that I judge to be about 715mm wide. I do think it's a good idea to shorten the stem a little to match.

What are you running now?

On the fork side of things I've got a Fox Float 34 150mm and it's fun. The increased A-C of the 34 model makes it close to the length that a normal 160mm would be. I am thinking I'll drop it (internally) to 140 or 130 after a Pisgah trip in a few weeks. Very steep climbs are a challenge...
    I'm running some take off pieces from an old bike: bontrager 90mm 6 degree rise and a bontrager RXL bar 690mm wide. I'm less inclined to go to a wider bar but very open to the shorty stem.

The Raceface Turbine line of products seemed to be the best choice based on price/weight/color options.
    Yeah I was actually looking at Raceface. I'm such a carbon bar dork that I would go with the Next bar and either an Atlas or Turbine stem...

or I will stay local and just go Thomson. Honestly I was leaning towards putting a little color on the bike and the new Race Face stuff (even the cranks) look pretty nice.
    My one says BRAP!

human dehumidifier
    Nice bikes deserve nice parts (if you can afford them). I have a Chromag 70mm stem and 730mm Acute riser bar on my N9. About the same $$ as Thomson or a little less if you shop around some.

There's nothing twitchy about it IMO, it works perfectly for me. Chromag parts come in colors too since you mentioned adding some color.
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm running 720mm RF Next bars with the 45mm Thomson stem. Perfect for XC + AM. The One is setup somewhat similarly except has 780 RF bars.

mtbr member
    i'm 6'3, 285lbs.. on a xl yelli. running a spank 35mm (IIRC) stem w/ 740mm whisky carbon riser bar.

climbs like a goat out of the saddle and feels amazing going down. highly recommend the wide bars/short stem combo

The White Jeff W
    I run a 140mm fork on my Yelli. 700 mm low rise bars & no spacers under the 70mm stem. We have some pretty steep climbs here and I have no issues keeping the front end down sitting or standing. I get my nose out over the stem & spin.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    I run a 140mm fork on my Yelli. 700 mm low rise bars & no spacers under the 70mm stem. We have some pretty steep climbs here and I have no issues keeping the front end down sitting or standing. I get my nose out over the stem & spin.
    I went from 100mm to 140mm and it totally transformed the bike. Big fan.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Just saw this, posted in your other thread. I am 5'10" on a large Yelli. I run a RF 50mm Atlas stem with RF 700mm flat bars. Working well so far. The front stays planted when I want it there and I have no problems shifting my weight out over the wheel.