No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Back on a YS, SS setup question

Hi, all. I go through a lot of bikes. If I'm honest, the only bike I ever really regret selling was my Yelli Screamy. Most fun bike I've ever owned.

Anyway, picked up another in trade and want to use it single-speed. I know 32-21 is said to be a magic gear. However, I strongly prefer 32-20 ... and I don't have a 21 cog.

If you were doing this setup would you choose a Blackspire Stinger (mounted to a BB-ISCG adapter) or a Bionicon C-Guide to achieve chain tension? Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    I just converted my YS to SS. I am currently using a KMC 810 for reference. The 32 x 20 was not the magic gear I though it would be. I even tried a 19 since I had one on hand, and the chain was a tiny bit too short. I think an 18 will work, but that't not an option where I plan to ride this bike. After I put in another link there is a lot of slack. I had to use the Gusset Bachelor SS Tensioner in push down mode. I am going to pick up a KMC HL 710 half link chain to help here.
    Now on to your question, I don't think the Bionicon C-Guide will work as a SS tensioner. Of the two go with the Blackspire Stinger. Either way you might need a half link chain.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Sorry, I forgot to update this. I strongly prefer 32-20 for my environment. Not sure what I was thinking, but the Bionicon certainly doesn't work as a chain tensioner.

I ended up finding an old Forte rear hanger-mounted tensioner and it worked great.

mtbr member
    I tracked down the half link chain I was looking for today. This one Shadow Conspiracy, but I don't recall the model name. Either way 32 x 20 with half link chain is pretty much magic. I am using the Gusset tensioner to push it up a tiny bit because I am anal about chain tension. It would most likely work fine without it. I will take a pic tomorrow on my ride.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Mine turned out like this:

IMG_0240

mtbr member
    Mine looked like that when I first did it. I didn't like that much slack, so I went with the half link chain. I am anal about my chain length and line.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Back on a YS, SS setup question-imag0034.jpg