Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

B+ Canfield stoke !!

I wanted to start this thread so there is a common place for info running 27.5 Plus on a Canfield Bros Riot.
    what tires and rims have worked. and what has not and why.
    with tires being released like the Schwalbe 2.8 Nobby Nic.. B+ is an option worth exploring
    Last edited by flyinmike; 03-24-2016 at 05:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Paging Dusty!

Great idea! I think we need a B+ Canfield thread in general since all the 29 inch frames are B+ compatible up to 2.8 it seems.

mtbr member
    Does anyone need more than the 2.8?

mtbr member
    Without a doubt, a 3" compatible N9/Yelli/Epo would be my next bike.

Full squish? Probably not.

mtbr member
    I can see some benefits to a 3.0 ..even full squish
    But, only for a clean sheet new bike design. Plus tires are not for everyone and, 3.0 B+ would probably narrow the available market significantly with the geometry and design compromises. It's much easier to get both a B+ 2.8 tire and a 29'er 2.5 tire to work in the same frame..

I edited the thread title.. any suggestions for a better one?
    I'm looking to maybe add a Riot to the stable and need clearance info on the Riot a.s.a.p..
    Last edited by flyinmike; 03-25-2016 at 06:17 AM.

I'm with stupid
    I ran 2.8 nobby nic 8 the rear with 30mm inner roval wheels off my enduro. It worked, however was super close on the drive side chain stay. So much that if I hit any mud it would cause issues. I DID very much like the feeling of that riot geo with plus size tires on it with the bottom bracket lower it felt better. So much so I am thibking about testing out a big volume 27.5 set up on the riot but not quite plus sized like a 2.5 minion wt or a set of wtb breakouts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    I ran 2.8 nobby nic 8 the rear with 30mm inner roval wheels off my enduro. It worked, however was super close on the drive side chain stay. So much that if I hit any mud it would cause issues. I DID very much like the feeling of that riot geo with plus size tires on it with the bottom bracket lower it felt better. So much so I am thibking about testing out a big volume 27.5 set up on the riot but not quite plus sized like a 2.5 minion wt or a set of wtb breakouts.

I'm looking to add a Riot to the stable..
    I've had the DHF 2.5 WT mounted up on Derby rims which have a 35mm inside width.
    the profile of the tire is better then the 2.3 DHF on the same rim. I can tell there is more volume to the tire and can run it at a slightly lower pressure. There was more then adequate clearance on my 27.5 Endorphin. The Nobby Nic 2.8 is a whole different animal. much more volume. unfortunately it would lightly rub on the Knolly with a Derby rim. I just mounted up a B+ 2.8 Chupacabra to try. It might be the limit of tire size for that frame. I know it's not going to work everywhere. But, I'm hoping for the best on at least some of the stuff around Arizona

mtbr member

Just finished wheels for the N9 B+ project. Hope Pro 4 to Asym i35 (hat tip to EatsDirt for the help!) with 2.8 Nobby Nics. TrailStar front, PaceStar rear. First ride tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post

Just finished wheels for the N9 B+ project. Hope Pro 4 to Asym i35 (hat tip to EatsDirt for the help!) with 2.8 Nobby Nics. TrailStar front, PaceStar rear. First ride tomorrow!
    Nice
    any issues with the build ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinmike View Post
    Nice
    any issues with the build ?
    Spokes were a little long, and the included nipples from Dan's Comp were a little grabby, but it came together okay. The weld point on the i35s isn't the cleanest, either. I used clear Gorilla tape and seated bead with an air compressor (had to take the valve core out to get enough of a blast). Seems pretty good at the moment!

I'm with stupid
    That nimble 9 looks good!

mtbr member
    Just finished wheels for the N9 B+ project.
    zTranslation=
    That is one dope N9!
    Last edited by Stopbreakindown; 03-27-2016 at 11:18 AM.

That guy
    Very nice, Kragu! That's pretty dang close to what I wanted to do, but I ended up buying a Yelli that popped up on craigslist. I'm still gonna build some Blunt/Hope wheels for it eventually.

What's it weigh?

MTB B'dos
    What length did you end up ordering and what ERD did you use for the i35s? Mine came together good using a 563 ERD and 272mm spokes with the older Pro2 EVO hubs.

Spokes were a little long, and the included nipples from Dan's Comp were a little grabby, but it came together okay. The weld point on the i35s isn't the cleanest, either. I used clear Gorilla tape and seated bead with an air compressor (had to take the valve core out to get enough of a blast). Seems pretty good at the moment!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member

B+ Canfield stoke !!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Very nice, Kragu! That's pretty dang close to what I wanted to do, but I ended up buying a Yelli that popped up on craigslist. I'm still gonna build some Blunt/Hope wheels for it eventually.

What's it weigh?
    Thanks! I haven't weighed it yet, but I'm guessing about 3/4 of a pound more than my 29er version which came in just above 27. That was with i9 Enduro wheels and a non-exo Ikon/Exo Ardent combo. These tires are surprisingly light- the PaceStar came in at 874g and TrailStar at 889g.

I'd guess I'm still under 28, which isn't horrible with a dropper and a 2100g wheel set.

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    What length did you end up ordering and what ERD did you use for the i35s? Mine came together good using a 563 ERD and 272mm spokes with the older Pro2 EVO hubs.
    I used 563 and a 271/272 combo on each wheel. What's the flange diameter on the Pro2? 57mm on the Pro4.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopbreakindown View Post
    I wish I understood this.

MTB B'dos
    Pro2 EVO is 54/56, Spoke calc spat out 272.0/272.1 for the front and 272.3/271.7 rear, so just ordered a box of 272mm and worked fine.

Been riding and bashing these wheels now for over a month and they've held up great, no trouble what so ever, even when I lent my Paradox to a 220lb friend who then rode it with the fork in the Climb setting the whole ride including one of roughest and fastest trails. Just waiting to get the Maxxis Ikon/Rekon 2.8s for it and then I'll be all set.

I used 563 and a 271/272 combo on each wheel. What's the flange diameter on the Pro2? 57mm on the Pro4.

mtbr member

B+ Canfield stoke !!

Pro2 EVO is 54/56, Spoke calc spat out 272.0/272.1 for the front and 272.3/271.7 rear, so just ordered a box of 272mm and worked fine.

Been riding and bashing these wheels now for over a month and they've held up great, no trouble what so ever, even when I lent my Paradox to a 220lb friend who then rode it with the fork in the Climb setting the whole ride including one of roughest and fastest trails. Just waiting to get the Maxxis Ikon/Rekon 2.8s for it and then I'll be all set.
    Awesome. I've always loved Schwalbe rubber in the first 300 miles or so. Probably take me 5 months or so to get to that on this set, since I'll be riding it 29 as well. My primary bike sees about a 4:1 use to this bike, so I'm not too worried about longevity with the Schwalbe rubber.

What are you running on it right now?

MTB B'dos
    I have the WTB Trailblazer 2.8" on the rear and Trailboss 3.0" on the front. as with most 29ers, not a whole lot of room for more than a true 2.8"in the back and honestly with a sus fork the 3.0" seems overkill to me on the front. This combo hasn't been bad for me, Trailblazer reminds me of the Nano I first started out on on 29ers, decent grip, have worked well in the dry we have now, but where they have let me down is in the wet, absolutely scared the crap out of me and had me walking trail I would normally ride on Maxxis rubber - trail is just plain steep, rocks and roots, covered in moss, had no sort of inkling of traction on the WTBs.

Awesome. I've always loved Schwalbe rubber in the first 300 miles or so. Probably take me 5 months or so to get to that on this set, since I'll be riding it 29 as well. My primary bike sees about a 4:1 use to this bike, so I'm not too worried about longevity with the Schwalbe rubber.

What are you running on it right now?

mtbr member
    Got in a decent 18 mile, 3200 ft ride today, the first on the B+ wheels. A little bit of everything - a ~40 minute fire road climb I've done about 10x, another 30 minutes of exploring a mix of ST and FR, a fun flowy single track descent, and a short, steeper, mixed conditions tech descent.

I crushed my PR on the long climb by almost 8 minutes. I'm fitter than I was and on a more suitable bike (a 6" rear 29er) than on my previous PR, but 8 minutes is a lot. Fire road was steep at points, loose, sometimes sandy and often rutted. I can think of a bunch of spots where both the float and grip of the plus setup was really nice. Would I have been faster overall on my Ardent/Ikon setup? Probably, but I'd guess not by much. That setup is about 400g lighter than this one, so despite some advantages the plus wheels give, I suspect over 38 minutes, lighter wheels might win out.

The ST descent was really damn fun. Half shaded hardpack, half sunny and steeper loose over hard, grip was on another level. The extra squish in the rear was just the right amount, and that plus float feeling mixed with great grip was a really cool feeling. I tried to get the squirmy feel people talk about, but I was able to break the rear loose before I felt any squirm. I'd drop a few PSI, but probably just as an experiment - dare I say I found a really nice spot on my first ride out. I'd rather drift than deal with squirm.

By the time I got to the tech descent, I had a pretty good feel for what the bike was going to do in the critical spots - mid speed run outs in silty, sandy, or marbly sections where braking and traction is a priority to get set up for the next section. Riding a HT in sections that might be better suited to a FS, you'd expect the front to kick and crab and the rear to buck, but the extra volume and (again) grip make for a much calmer experience. Obviously, this leads to more confidence, more speed. Not quite FS speed, but better than a normal 29" setup.

I'm tempted to run the same ride tomorrow with my 29" wheels, but I'll probably take the B+ out to another familiar trail.

Bikes are fun.

MTB B'dos
    Right tool for the job, that's the key and a B+ HT on a smoooth fire/gravel road climb is going to be fast. Had the same experience on a climb I know well, when I was very fit back in '07 a 5 min 30 sec time was smoking on my 32lb FS, couple weeks back on the B+ Paradox decided to give a bit of a push to see what I could do, well 5 min 40 secs is what I did an no where near the fitness I had back then.

Float and that extra little cush is what makes B+ so sweet, that and the fact that most, like us can most likely fit a 2.8" into the rear of our existing 29ers, giving us basically another version of that current bike, maybe even breathing new life into a bike we maybe thought needed upgrading.

Not sure how low you went with pressures, but with my setup and weighing about 180lbs geared to ride, I've settled on 16 PSI rear and 13 PSI front and I'm very sensitive to squirm. Mine are the Light/Fast casing.

mtbr member
    I was pretty high on the climbs... Probably 20f/22r. Let a bit out for the descents and when I checked it at home, it was 15f/17r. From what I understand, the NN sidewalls are pretty beefy compared to the WTB. Maybe I have room to move down, but it felt pretty damn good where it was. Any more grip and I'd have trouble breaking it loose (really just getting around to learning to ride that way).

That guy
    Bikes are fun.

Nice report! I don't think I need to read any more about it, B+ for me!

I think I'm gonna go with a Hope trials hub, I live in the flats so SS is where it's at (which is why I wanted a N9). I'll need to do some more i35 vs P-35 reading before I choose, then I'll need to pick tires. With the Al frame and SS I might end up in the 25-26lb range.

MTB B'dos
    WTB Asym rims build an almost dishless wheel with normal 135/142 rear and 100 front hubs, so if you're using an SS/Short freehub hub, then the benefit might not be there for you since they already do that with a normal, straight drilled rim, but for sure for others running the normal full cassette hubs it makes for a stronger wheel.

Nice report! I don't think I need to read any more about it, B+ for me!

I think I'm gonna go with a Hope trials hub, I live in the flats so SS is where it's at (which is why I wanted a N9). I'll need to do some more i35 vs P-35 reading before I choose, then I'll need to pick tires. With the Al frame and SS I might end up in the 25-26lb range.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    What's the BB Height on some of these builds with the 2.8 inch NN? Getting any pedal strikes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_CLG View Post
    What's the BB Height on some of these builds with the 2.8 inch NN? Getting any pedal strikes?
    Drops BB about 1/2". No pedal strikes for me (one ride), running 175mm cranks.

Chris Bling
    How did I miss this thread?

Expect many sweet pics to follow

I have been rocking the Nimble 9 B+, but am about to swipe the wheels and throw them on my Riot

Here is how she is set up right now.

Atomik Carbon i36 rims with Nobby Nic 2.8's. I seriously wouldn't want anything wider. Thats what my fatbike is for!!

B+ Canfield stoke !!-hubsessed-cycle-works-2016-canfield-nimble-9-avalanche-project-321-atomik-carbon-nobby-nic-schw.jpg

B+ Canfield stoke !!-hubsessed-cycle-works-2016-canfield-nimble-9-avalanche-project-321-atomik-carbon-nobby-nic-schw.jpg

The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

I'm with stupid
    B+ Canfield stoke !!-uploadfromtaptalk1459208432805.jpg

Here is a pic of mine with nobby nics.
    BB height was a touch above 13.25 No issues with pedal strikes. But I did come off a 5" bike with a 13.0" bottom bracket so I might just be used to pedal timing and ratcheting.

Canfield Brothers
    My plus bikes, a Riot and a EPO.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B+ Canfield stoke !!-riot-b-plus.jpg  

B+ Canfield stoke !!-epo-27.5-plus.jpg  

http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike View Post
    Lance,

Which has more clearance for +? Riot, EPO or N9?

Thanks!

Canfield Brothers
    EPO Does, The Riot is 75, N9 is 73 and the EPO is 78.
    www.mtbparks.com

Chris Bling
    Get some real meat on those tires!!
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Uh oh Dusty! You know what that means

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post

I think I do Let me know
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    I think I do Let me know
    You know I will!

MTB B'dos
    Did I not tell you that your EPO needed the 650B+ treatment last week?
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post

mtbr member
    Haha. You did, you did. Dusty and I have been discussing a set for awhile now.

How would you compare the plus Paradox to the Phantom in terms of smoothing out the roots and small stuff?

n00b
    What about the Yelli?
    How dare you forget about him!

Sent from my R2 unit
    instagram@krigloch

That guy
    WTB Asym rims build an almost dishless wheel with normal 135/142 rear and 100 front hubs, so if you're using an SS/Short freehub hub, then the benefit might not be there for you since they already do that with a normal, straight drilled rim, but for sure for others running the normal full cassette hubs it makes for a stronger wheel.
    Yeah, that's kinda what I figured. I was hoping there would be more rim choices in the 35-40mm range by now. I've not been keeping up with new products very well, maybe there is? I haven't looked at carbon, and don't think I want to because of the added cost.

I've got another bike (Bianchi SASS) that I'd like to try the wheels on. I don't think there's room for B+ tires, but I know it'll fit 'normal' 27.5" tires. I don't want to go too wide on the rims, I might decide to keep them on the Bianchi and build another wheelset for the Yelli.

MTB B'dos
    Well, there are the new Easton ARC rims that have up to I think 50mm internal width and are drilled center, also Kore has some that look quite interesting, price definitely makes them worth a look. If you stick to an inner width of 35mm, you'll be fine with <3" B+ tyres and also more normal 2.4", but rim could be a tad bit exposed if you've got lots of rocks on the trails you regularly ride.

Yeah, that's kinda what I figured. I was hoping there would be more rim choices in the 35-40mm range by now. I've not been keeping up with new products very well, maybe there is? I haven't looked at carbon, and don't think I want to because of the added cost.

I've got another bike (Bianchi SASS) that I'd like to try the wheels on. I don't think there's room for B+ tires, but I know it'll fit 'normal' 27.5" tires. I don't want to go too wide on the rims, I might decide to keep them on the Bianchi and build another wheelset for the Yelli.

That guy
    Well, there are the new Easton ARC rims that have up to I think 50mm internal width and are drilled center, also Kore has some that look quite interesting, price definitely makes them worth a look. If you stick to an inner width of 35mm, you'll be fine with <3" B+ tyres and also more normal 2.4", but rim could be a tad bit exposed if you've got lots of rocks on the trails you regularly ride.

I think I found it: Realm P35 Rim - Kore Components

Maybe WTB will eventually make a symmetrical i35.

MTB B'dos
    Available at Universal Cycles, prices make them hard to resist, and going by other Kore products I've used, don't think there should be any problem with the quality.
    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...?category=5987

I think I found it: Realm P35 Rim - Kore Components

Maybe WTB will eventually make a symmetrical i35.

That guy
    Available at Universal Cycles, prices make them hard to resist, and going by other Kore products I've used, don't think there should be any problem with the quality.
    Thanks, LyNx! I think I'm probably going to give those a try. My Yelli already has Hope hubs, so I'll just break the 29" wheels down and use them. Then I'll have the option of running a cassette or spacers for SS. I can even try the wheels on the Bianchi and see what tires I can fit on it.

Not sure if my Reba will work, though. It's at 100mm and needs to be converted to 120mm. It also doesn't look like there'd be much clearance for a B+ tire. Maybe I'll just need to get a 140mm Pike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the link! Just ordered from there

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Krigloch View Post
    What about the Yelli?
    How dare you forget about him!

Sent from my R2 unit
    Here are a few I have of my Riot with 3 different B+ setups.

And not to forget about the Yelli, I attached some of him too

B+ Canfield stoke !!-hubsessed-cycle-works-canfield-riot-27.5-plus-b-plus-avalanche-chubie.jpg

B+ Canfield stoke !!-hubsessed-cycle-works-canfield-riot-27.5-plus-b-plus-back.jpg

B+ Canfield stoke !!-hubsessed-cycle-works-canfield-brothers-riot-27.5-plus-side.jpg

B+ Canfield stoke !!-hubsessed-cycle-works-canfield-brothers-yelli-screamy-fox-36-650b-plus-angled.jpg

B+ Canfield stoke !!-hubsessed-cycle-works-canfield-brothers-yelli-screamy-fox-36-650b-plus-angled-side.jpg

B+ Canfield stoke !!-hubsessed-cycle-works-canfield-brothers-yelli-screamy-fox-36-650b-plus-angled-shot.jpg

B+ Canfield stoke !!-hubsessed-cycle-works-canfield-brothers-yelli-screamy-fox-36-650b-plus-angled-chris-king.jpg
    Affordable Custom Wheels

n00b
    awesome!
    How's the Pike for those + sizes? More than enough room?
    instagram@krigloch

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Krigloch View Post
    awesome!
    How's the Pike for those + sizes? More than enough room?
    Ya, more than enough

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Here is my 2014 Yelli Screamy 27.5 +

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    . B+ yelli. Wheels courtesy of hubsessed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Guys, did somebody have good/bad experience running WTB Scraper i45 on Riot?
    My order for Kore Realm P35 was cancelled by UC and WTB Asym 35 are out of stock everywhere

That guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadim0791 View Post
    My order for Kore Realm P35 was cancelled by UC and WTB Asym 35 are out of stock everywhere
    I haven't done much searching, but it looks like these may be available:

Easton ARC grows up with ARC+ 35, 40, and 45mm wide 27.5+ and 29+ rims - Bikerumor

Easton Arc+ 35 27.5" Rim from BikeBling.com

Chris Bling
    My supplier has them listed as showing up the end of April. These should be a solid rim.
    Affordable Custom Wheels

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadim0791 View Post
    I ran the Scrapers on the Riot with the TrailBlazer tires. On this go around, I will be using and i36 rim and the Nobby Nics. There is not a lot of room, but should be fine.
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    To add the missing frame: 2015 Yelli measures 75mm at the narrowest point. (the welds) In this case the 2.8 NN on I35 rubbed. The owner shaved the side knobs on the NN for better clearance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B+ Canfield stoke !!-006.jpg  

Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    pity, there aren't much options for a 27.5+ non-china rims that are 36h. all i've seen are just 32h.

(don't want to get rid of my 36h hopes)
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    To add the missing frame: 2015 Yelli measures 75mm at the narrowest point. (the welds) In this case the 2.8 NN on I35 rubbed. The owner shaved the side knobs on the NN for better clearance.
    I may have to shave mine on my 2014 Yelli with velocity blunt 35 rims with 2.8 nn it rubs right now when riding. Throwing a 10mm thru axel to see if it stiffens it up

mtbr member
    Post up your Yelli Screamy that you converted to the B+. I got a little rub issue in the rear hoping the solid rear axel from Dustyduke22 helps with that or might have to cut some nobbies.

2014 Canfield Yelli Screamy
    2012 Fox 34 float 29er 140mm fork
    Onyx prototype mtb hubs 11-36 in rear going to 11-42
    Velocity blunt 35 rims 27.5
    Schwallby Nobbie Nic 2.8 front and rear with 15psi in front and 18psi in rear
    Shimano xt cranks
    Shimano xt brakes
    Shimano xt derailleur and shifter 10 speed
    Wtb seat
    Race face nw32 sprocket
    780mm bars and 50mm stem they are take offs on another bike

I love this set up runs over anything still pretty fast and fun to ride.

That guy
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    My supplier has them listed as showing up the end of April. These should be a solid rim.
    Thanks, Dusty. These may be a little better than the Realms. Now I'm thinking of possibly running a 29+ up front. Since I can convert my fork to 120mm, adding that little bit more tire will help get the BB up higher without having to buy a new fork. The only issue I can think of would be tire clearance on my Reba, I think it's a 2011.

Chris Bling
    Thanks, Dusty. These may be a little better than the Realms. Now I'm thinking of possibly running a 29+ up front. Since I can convert my fork to 120mm, adding that little bit more tire will help get the BB up higher without having to buy a new fork. The only issue I can think of would be tire clearance on my Reba, I think it's a 2011.
    Ya, that Reba will give you clearance issues. I don't think it will work from what I have seen

Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttimpe View Post
    Here is my 2014 Yelli Screamy 27.5 +

Are those 2.8 NN's? How much room do you have between the tire and the seat and chain stays?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    Are those 2.8 NN's? How much room do you have between the tire and the seat and chain stays?
    there is a mile of clearance on the seat stays but barley any on the chain stay. When it spins in the stand it doesn't rub but once I make a turn it rubs. 18psi in rear. Gonna try more pressure

mtbr member
    Is there a good pressure gauge you all recommend for the plus tires? I was reading about gauge inconsistencies, and that some are better suited for low pressure over others. Any advice out there? I've got the NN 2.8's. Thanks!

Canfield Brothers
    I use a digital gauge I got from Auto Zone. Actually I have two and they are 1/2 psi off from each other. Not a big deal to me but nice to verify with. My pump also has a gauge and it seems really close to the digital readings. Digital is nice because it reads low pressure well. Nice for the dirt bike too, 13 psi.
    www.mtbparks.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ttimpe View Post
    but barley any on the chain stay. When it spins in the stand it doesn't rub but once I make a turn it rubs. 18psi in rear. Gonna try more pressure
    Don't increase the pressure to prevent rubbing. It's rubbing from the wheel deflecting, not from air pressure. You may end up increasing the size of the tire or even stretching the tire larger if you increase the pressure.

MTB B'dos
    I use the Topeak one, but in only reads in 1 PSI increments, so you can be at the high or low side of a PSI, but it seems the most popular if you look around the WC Mechs stuff.

Chris Bling
    Three on my B Plus wheels tonight. It's a snug fit, but doable. Maybe 3 or 4mm clearance on both sides with i36 rims and 2.8 Nobby Nic tires.

We'll see how much it rubs on the trail. Hopefully not. If it does, back to the Ole trusty Breakout 2.5s.

Pics to come
    Last edited by dustyduke22; 04-13-2016 at 11:42 AM.
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Would love to try some B+ tyres on the trails in riding at the moment. The only problem it's super rocky but they aren't sharp. Although I did have a scare with a big drop into a rock garden and manage to bottom my rear carbon rim, not a nice sound.

Chris Bling
    Ok, here are some pics. I hope you guys are not getting tired of these.

B+ Canfield stoke !!-hubsessed-cycle-works-canfield-brothers-riot-29er-chris-king-atomik-chubby-avalanche-chubie-fox-.jpg

B+ Canfield stoke !!-hubsessed-cycle-works-canfield-brothers-riot-29er-chris-king-atomik-chubby-avalanche-chubie-fox-.jpg

Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    May 2012
    That's one sweet Riot!

Is there a consensus on the max internal rim width to fit the various Canfield frames? I am looking at building a wheelset to run the Nobby Nics or Maxxis Rekon+ 2.8 tires with either the Easton ARC 30 or the Stan's Flows MK3's laced to I9 hubs on my 2016 Nimble 9. The ARCs are 30 Internal and 34 External while the Stan's Flow MK3's are 29 Internal and 32.6 External. The both weigh within 10 grams of each other. I would go wider but the clearances for the rims in the 35mm internal width look very tight on everyone's pics. I don't want to trim side knobs.

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by marc927 View Post
    That's one sweet Riot!

Is there a consensus on the max internal rim width to fit the various Canfield frames? I am looking at building a wheelset to run the Nobby Nics or Maxxis Rekon+ 2.8 tires with either the Easton ARC 30 or the Stan's Flows MK3's laced to I9 hubs on my 2016 Nimble 9. The ARCs are 30 Internal and 34 External while the Stan's Flow MK3's are 29 Internal and 32.6 External. The both weigh within 10 grams of each other. I would go wider but the clearances for the rims in the 35mm internal width look very tight on everyone's pics. I don't want to trim side knobs.
    I would say i29 or i30 would be safe.

Affordable Custom Wheels

I'm with stupid
    I ran i30 on my riot with Nobby Nic 2.8 with no rubbing, sitting or out on the trail

WNC Native
    So which has the most clearance for B+, 2016 Nimble 9 or 2016 Yelli?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    Here you go

mtbr member
    Who is running trailblazer tires on your Yelli 2014 model 35mm rim

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    What size tires are you running on what looks like Scrapers to me? 2.8 trailblazers?
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    anyone ever attempted to go with an even wider rim such as stans hugo?

ZTR Hugo 52 27.5 Rim
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Nimble 9

B+ Canfield stoke !!-image.jpg

3.0 WTB Bridger front WTB Trail Boss 2.4 rear

This thing rips corners even better with the off size front and rear tires.

I'm fired up to do the same thing to a Riot soon!
    Guerilla Gravity stable: Megatrail, Trail Pistol, Pedalhead

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PattD View Post
    3.0 WTB Bridger front WTB Trail Boss 2.4 rear

This thing rips corners even better with the off size front and rear tires.

I'm fired up to do the same thing to a Riot soon!
    trail boss 27.5x2.4? how wide is the rim and how wide the tire?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    38 external 31.6 internal x 2.4 but measures almost 2.6 width. Seems to work well for me. I ripped my rear tire so threw this one on to ride and ended up keeping it. Ill probably go back to 2.8 but for my size this may be a better option. I was struggling dialing in the psi in back with the 2.8. Either too hard or too wallowy. I'm 250 so it became a delicate balance with too much or too little air pressure. My assumption is that with a Riot I wouldn't have to be so precise on psi in the rear as a hardtail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PattD View Post
    38 external 31.6 internal x 2.4 but measures almost 2.6 width.
    nice width for the trail boss, I've got a 2.5 breakout on a 43mm internal rim and it measures a hair over 2"5/8 (67mm)... looks pretty close.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You just saved me some $! I was gonna order a breakout to sneak a little more outta the width but those measurements are close. I rode DH back in the day with a high volume front and narrower rear and loved it. Kinda the same feel here

mtbr member
    I have the breakout 2.5 in the rear of my Yelli gonna try it out today

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Share your thoughts

mtbr member
    Breakout on the rear of my EPO. Rolls fast and slides around corners Nicely. It weighs 1100 grams verse the NN 2.8 weighing in at 900 grams. But I got tire rub with the NN out bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Canfield needs to add some tire clearance, at least make a 2.8 fit. I would totally buy a Riot, but it's not quite wide enough, still on the fence...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Canfield needs to add some tire clearance, at least make a 2.8 fit. I would totally buy a Riot, but it's not quite wide enough, still on the fence...
    It's not a plus bike and wasn't designed as such.

They already made a 29er with a 140mm of rear travel, room for 2.5 inch tires,414mm chainstays and all the while sticking with a 142 hub. Pretty impressive as is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    You could have your more tire clearance from Canfield but the bikes would have longer chainstays. Do you want that? The tire falls behind the chainring because of the shortest chain stays in the business so the chainstays have to taper back in to allow room for the crank and chainring. It's not a plus bike. It's not boost.

mtbr member
    The 27.5 x 2.5 wtb breakout tires are the best on the Yelli

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand80 View Post
    You could have your more tire clearance from Canfield but the bikes would have longer chainstays. Do you want that? The tire falls behind the chainring because of the shortest chain stays in the business so the chainstays have to taper back in to allow room for the crank and chainring. It's not a plus bike. It's not boost.
    Adding 5mm more clearance in each direction, adding more versatility, yeah, I'd take that. An adjustable drop would make everyone happy except maybe the engineers and the weight weenies.

All that aside, it's in my top five if I don't stick with Foes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    . Headless b+ bomber

mtbr member
    B+ Canfield stoke !!-karate.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    That 2.5 Breakout looks to be a solid answer. I'm really enjoying the feel of this bike with this setup. When the Trailboss wears out I'll grab the Breakout

mtbr member
    I went with WTB Breakout 2.5's on 27.5 WTB Asym i29 rims on my 2012 Yelli frame. Fork is a 2013 RS Revelation, 20mm axle. Clearance is good all around. Roughly measured wheel diameter is a shade over 28". BB is around 12" Yet to hit dirt, but it feels like up and down the block. Not sure what pressure I'm going to land on.

Edit: I know a 2.5" tire isn't quite B+, but it seems to be a viable option, so I added my setup to this thread. Tread width is right at 2.5, casing a little smaller. I can get more accurate numbers and at what pressures but I figure the setup fits the frame and that's all I need to know. Was tempted to go with the i35 rims, but if I ever want to try the 2.8 Nobby Nic's, I was concerned I could be getting too tight in the chain stays.
    2012 Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy
    2002 Gary Fisher Mamba
    1981 Huffy All Pro 3-speed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rwrusso View Post
    I went with WTB Breakout 2.5's on 27.5 WTB Asym i29 rims on my 2012 Yelli frame. Fork is a 2013 RS Revelation, 20mm axle. Clearance is good all around. Roughly measured wheel diameter is a shade over 28". BB is around 12" Yet to hit dirt, but it feels like up and down the block. Not sure what pressure I'm going to land on.

Edit: I know a 2.5" tire isn't quite B+, but it seems to be a viable option, so I added my setup to this thread. Tread width is right at 2.5, casing a little smaller. I can get more accurate numbers and at what pressures but I figure the setup fits the frame and that's all I need to know. Was tempted to go with the i35 rims, but if I ever want to try the 2.8 Nobby Nic's, I was concerned I could be getting too tight in the chain stays.
    I have the breakout 2.5 on 35blunt rims best setup on my Yelli 2014 hooks up good

Your bike sucks
    Ha.. You know this guy? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3dWeQoVLXQ

From the Surly Instigator thread:

2014 Surly Instigator - Page 33- Mtbr.com

Apparently his name is Tony.

I love the internet. Where a guy 2K mi from a drop can recognize it and say "I've seen that before"

Quote Originally Posted by hugo03 View Post
    . Headless b+ bomber
    Who wears it better?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    that's fantastic. i don't know him but i did used to ride an instigator.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    Ha.. You know this guy? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3dWeQoVLXQ

From the Surly Instigator thread:

2014 Surly Instigator - Page 33- Mtbr.com

Apparently his name is Tony.

I love the internet. Where a guy 2K mi from a drop can recognize it and say "I've seen that before"

Who wears it better?

mtbr member
    now that you're running and or have tried running your canfields in b+, would you consider going back to a 29er wheelset?
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    now that you're running and or have tried running your canfields in b+, would you consider going back to a 29er wheelset?
    I do, I'm trying the B+ thing but i'm not sold at all.

I'm also trying a 29x3.0 dirt wizard as a front tire on the 29er wheelset, it's not bad.

But now, if I had to choose one wheelset only I'm quite sure I'd keep the 29er one (2.4 to 2.5 front & rear)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    I do, I'm trying the B+ thing but i'm not sold at all.

I'm also trying a 29x3.0 dirt wizard as a front tire on the 29er wheelset, it's not bad.

But now, if I had to choose one wheelset only I'm quite sure I'd keep the 29er one (2.4 to 2.5 front & rear)
    may i ask why?
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    may i ask why?
    +1

I just ordered my frame, and the spank oozy 345s 27.5 and WTB ranger 2.8s are about to be ordered...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast