Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Think I found the perfect rear for my B+ Riot- Dual Compound Rekon 2.8. First I had the TB (absolutely zero traction), then the Rocket Ron Snakeskin 2.8 (super grippy but kinda slow and still 2.8"-only .1" clearance.) Moved the RR to the front and replaced the NN, to me the RR has WAY more grip on the side knobs. I wish it has a slightly thicker casing, but I like it a lot more than the NN as a front... nice and rounded still on a i40 rim and the front doesnt wash out anywhere as much as the NN did. As for the Rekon on the rear- the middle rolls fast and the side knobs bite great! And at 2.7" it has .15" chainstay clearance on either side! A lot heavier than the RR at about 840g I think (same as the NN) but the casing inspires more confidence too. Squared off more than the RR too on the i40s which I like on the rear. Might eventually try a 3C Rekon on the front but for now I like the Ron. Love this bike! Still want to try it as a 29er too but I'm having too much fun with the B+ tires for now!
    B+ Canfield stoke !!-20160626_121651.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Previous setup with the NN Front/RR rear...

B+ Canfield stoke !!-20160604_132336.jpg

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by lyleberry View Post
    Previous setup with the NN Front/RR rear...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160604_132336.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	335.2 KB 
ID:	1078554
    The Recon is the first tire that really interests me to use instead of the Breakout 2.5.

Looks good

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah I wish they made a 3.0 for the front... I might try a 3.0 RR up there instead. The 2.8s are great tires but I do still miss the larger diameter of the 29er tires up front... these are only around 28.25".

mtbr member

New question here.

for a 2014 YS, i'm looking at either having a reckon+ or a nobby nic for my tires, both of which are 27.5x2.8. i do prefer these over trailblazer because of their side knobs.

back at the LBS, the only rim options available are 35mm or 40mm internal widths - which will i get? any experiences running reckon+ or NN on a YS 2014?

(the only predicament i wouldn't want to end up with is having only 1 tire or no tire option at all... - which i think everyone doesn't want to end up with)
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The Rekon would be about 2.7" wide on an i40 rim... I'm liking it so far as a rear tire. I've got a 2.8 NN with about 6 rides I'd sell you if you want... also a brand new 2.8 Rocket Ron Snakeskin (bought from England). Its a nice tire too! 35 or 40mm rims- either would be fine... pm me if you're interested!

mtbr member
    ... which leads me to think... if i extend the internal width to 45mm, what will my tire options be?

gut feeling tells me that rekon or NN will scrape the chainstays and/or seatstays of a YS 2014

(eyeing on https://sun-ringle.com/mtb/rims/mulefut-50sl/)
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

Canfield Brothers
    Id stick to a 35i rim, your going to have way better clearance and more tire options.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Stoked

STOKED. I rode some super rocky east coast trails this weekend, and the bike wanted me to go faster and faster. It even handled climbs like a champ (although I am still getting used to the more relaxed geometry and much wider bars). Once I settle in, it's going to rip.B+ Canfield stoke !!-img_6608.jpgB+ Canfield stoke !!-img_6612.jpgB+ Canfield stoke !!-img_6613-1-.jpgB+ Canfield stoke !!-img_6617-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    I did find one minor disadvantage when fitting a plus size to a 29er even though I haven't made it yet...

I'm still using a Maxxis HRii 2.3 in my YS 2014 mounted in an i25 rim. At the night before I went out for a ride, tropical rain poured down and made the trail sticky wet, similar to below (not my pic, but you get the idea...).

Even with the amount of clearance I have in the rear triangle and fork (pike), I reached a point wherein the rear won't turn anymore due to the amount of mud build up on the chainstays. (sorry no pic, I left my phone in the car, but then, i know you get the idea).

Now, part of me is imagining that if it were a 2.8 tire, which has smaller clearance, then the build up could been quicker due to the tires being nearer the triangle.

... though part of me still want's to have a 27.5 plus for dry summer days and just for the heck of it

* don't mean to crash, but looking at the spez fuze, the geo is 'near' the geo of a YS, which really encourages me even more to go for an additional wheelset
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    I have some brand new (less than 15 miles on them) 27.5+ wheels and tires I'd be willing to trade for 29er's if anyone is looking to give 27+ a try.

WTB KOM i25 (15x100 / 9x135 qr)
    WTB Breakout 2.5's f&R

Not sure this 27.5+ thing suits my local trails. No junk please. PM me.

Thanks

B+ Canfield stoke !!-0815161721b.jpg
    Troy
    Knoxville, TN
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon C
    2014 Canfield Bros Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by troycad View Post
    I have some brand new (less than 15 miles on them) 27.5+ wheels and tires I'd be willing to trade for 29er's if anyone is looking to give 27+ a try.

WTB KOM i25 (15x100 / 9x135 qr)
    WTB Breakout 2.5's f&R

Not sure this 27.5+ thing suits my local trails. No junk please. PM me.

Thanks

Name:	0815161721b.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	284.4 KB 
ID:	1090263
    what made you choose to to back?
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    In all.fairness to the plus.thing.....you're really only putting wide 27.5 tires on a 29er. The i25 width is too narrow to get any of the benefits of the plus size tires and I'm running 2.5 Breakouts on my 27.5 trailbike with rims that are 32 internal. There's a huge difference.with.2.8 tires on a minimum of 35 internal rim width. I'm not suggesting you go invest in another set but you're not getting the traction benefits with your set up. FWIA. Cheers!
    Guerilla Gravity stable: Megatrail, Trail Pistol, Pedalhead

mtbr member
    Anyone using a maxxis rekon on i45 rim as a rear tire on either Epo or Riot? Is there clearance enough?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    Anyone using a maxxis rekon on i45 rim as a rear tire on either Epo or Riot? Is there clearance enough?
    Fwiw - I'm using Atomik Chubbie rims which are i36 with NN 2.8's on my EPO and there is about 3-4mm on each side at the nearest point of the chain stays. I wouldn't go any wider on the rims with these tires. I hear the rekons and ikon 2.8's are narrower than the NN's so there may be some hope to running that combo.

mtbr member
    Before I pull the trigger on plus rim, has anybody used an i40 in a YS 2014? How was the clearance on a 2.8 tire?
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    what made you choose to to back?
    The biggest reason I'm thinking of going back is just variety. I've got a Bronson that I'm running 27.5x2.4's on. Thought it would be cool to try 27.5 on Screamy, but think I like the variety of having a hardtail 29er for different trails better than having similar wheel sizes.

I know the 2.5's are not necessarily considered + but the WTB Breakouts have such a high side profile I've had no problems with BB being too low and they do have mad traction when running lower PSI.
    Troy
    Knoxville, TN
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon C
    2014 Canfield Bros Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Here are a few I have of my Riot with 3 different B+ setups.

And not to forget about the Yelli, I attached some of him too

Attachment 1060922

Attachment 1060923

Attachment 1060924

Attachment 1060925

Attachment 1060926

Attachment 1060927

Attachment 1060928
    Could you share tire sizes and a pic of the clearance on that Riot?

mtbr member
    I've got a Riot set up as B+. I have the WTB i35's with 2.8 NN's. I'm now running into rear tire rub on the stays, especially when seated while mashing. I'm trying to find alternative solutions without going all the way back to 29er. Do the Maxxis tires that are 2.8's run narrower than the NN's? I've put maybe 60 - 80 miles on the NN's and they keep stretching out.

The front isn't an issue as I have a boost fork. I might consider going with the NN 2.6's, but that's getting into a whole other area with dropping the BB. Has anyone had any success with lower volume 27.5 tires or perhaps even going with 2.8 Maxxis tires? Hoping the solution is as simple as just swapping the tires instead of going back to 29".

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cpolism View Post
    I've got a Riot set up as B+. I have the WTB i35's with 2.8 NN's. I'm not running into rear tire rub on the stays, especially when seated while mashing. I'm trying to find alternative solutions without going all the way back to 29er. Do the Maxxis tires that are 2.8's run narrower than the NN's? I've put maybe 60 - 80 miles on the NN's and they keep stretching out.

The front isn't an issue as I have a boost fork. I might consider going with the NN 2.6's, but that's getting into a whole nothing area with dropping the BB. Has anyone had any success with lower volume 27.5 tires or perhaps even going with 2.8 Maxxis tires? Hoping the solution is as simple as just swapping the tires instead of going back to 29".
    I was also getting occasional rubbing on my Riot with a 2.8 NN on a 30mm internal rim. I swapped in a WTB Breakout 2.5, which offers plenty of clearance (8mm narrower per my calipers) with no significant difference in diameter. I haven't tried the Maxxis tires, but most of what I've seen suggests they're 3-4 mm narrower than the Schwalbe's so my guess is they'd work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Yelli Classic, WTB i35 rims, Trailblazer rear, 2.8 NN in Pikes at the front.

B+ Canfield stoke !!-12719406_10153939409446255_6594231975147948346_o.jpg

Chris Bling
    Beast Mode

Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Beast Mode

Holy eff Batman. Looks sick. How's the clearance with the Rekon on the back? I want the same setup for my EPO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

2016 Nimble 9

New ss build. Should be a fun whip.

B+ Canfield stoke !!-img_4547.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mkbrad View Post

Name:	IMG_4547.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	303.0 KB 
ID:	1101402
    Holy wow! Great looking build. Love it completely de-decal'd. Awesome!

Side note, what size frame is that? It's the new boost frame, right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks. It is a medium, 2016, boost frame.

mtbr member
    Thanks. It is a medium, 2016, boost frame.
    That would be the 2017 Boost frame then. 2016 was still the standard 142x12 TA...
    Have the same color in the rack and was thinking doing Purple myself for accent color... wasn't sure how it would look till now.... looks awesome!!

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand80 View Post
    Holy eff Batman. Looks sick. How's the clearance with the Rekon on the back? I want the same setup for my EPO.

It's a nice amount.

Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I didn't realize that the boost frames were 2017s. Pretty stoked on the build. Rides like an overgrown bmx bike.

mtbr member

It's a nice amount.

Perfect. Thanks for the pics. Tire choices are so rad these days.

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand80 View Post
    Perfect. Thanks for the pics. Tire choices are so rad these days.

Completely agree.

They are on Derbys which are i35

Affordable Custom Wheels

WNC Native

Name:	IMG_4547.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	303.0 KB 
ID:	1101402
    Looks sweet! What rim width and how is clearance on the rear with that Rekon?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Has anyone tried maxxis high roller 2.8s and gotten an accurate measurement of the width?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Looks sweet! What rim width and how is clearance on the rear with that Rekon?
    The (apparently) 2017 frames have boost spacing. Canfield recommends 2.8 tires on 35mm (inner) width rims. Sooooo....that's what I used. Plenty of clearance. The 2.8s ride a lot like 'normal' tires. I'm also using a fork with boost spacing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The (apparently) 2017 frames have boost spacing. Canfield recommends 2.8 tires on 35mm (inner) width rims. Sooooo....that's what I used. Plenty of clearance. The 2.8s ride a lot like 'normal' tires. I'm also using a fork with boost spacing.
    Boost is a hub sizing standard with wider spoke flanges to correct spoke angle on bigger wheels for added strength. A bonus to this is the ability to run wider tires and rims without clearance issues all while allowing short chain stay lengths. Canfield says that their rear triangle has the ability to be able to accept a 2.8 tire fine but still uses standard 142 spacing. I equate this to the bros building bikes that can handle aggressive rubber with adequate spacing, not them going along with industry trends.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A_street View Post
    Boost is a hub sizing standard with wider spoke flanges to correct spoke angle on bigger wheels for added strength. A bonus to this is the ability to run wider tires and rims without clearance issues all while allowing short chain stay lengths. Canfield says that their rear triangle has the ability to be able to accept a 2.8 tire fine but still uses standard 142 spacing. I equate this to the bros building bikes that can handle aggressive rubber with adequate spacing, not them going along with industry trends.
    Actually, the new nimble 9 has been refreshed with boost spacing 148 rear and extended reach. You are correct for previous frames at 142 can handle 2.8, but there is a new generation of the N9.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

I'm pretty sure that the new boost hubs (148mm) are roughly 6mm wider than the 142mm hubs, which provide for a wider spoke flange etc.....but who really cares? Bikes are fun.

mtbr member
    Need help deciding between B+ and 29 wide on my 2015 Yelli.

Currently running 29x2.4 On One Chunky Monkeys (measures as a true 2.4) on stans Arch rims (~21 mm internal).

For tight/slow/soft technical trails I run ~15psi front and ~18-19psi rear and am fairly happy with the setup. Problem I have is I also ride some very fast flowy/jumpy trails with very grippy berms in the corners, and I have to air up to about 25 psi front/30+ psi rear just to keep the tires from squirming and completely folding over in the berms. That leaves the ride a bit harsh for the high speed roots and rock gardens.

I am planning on upgrading to some ~35i rims, but not sure whether going with 35i and my current 29x2.4 tires is going to give me enough volume and sidewall support to lower the psi to smooth out the ride without folding the tires over.

Am I better off going with 35i rims and a 27x2.8 tire?

Seems like B+ tire choices are still fairly limited and very expensive for tires with reasonable weight and aggressive enough tread to an all-rounder.

Also, this is my PNW winter bike so still need a reasonable amount of mud clearance since I won't be seeing any dry trails for 6 or 7 months of the year.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post

Currently running 29x2.4 On One Chunky Monkeys (measures as a true 2.4) on stans Arch rims (~21 mm internal).

For tight/slow/soft technical trails I run ~15psi front and ~18-19psi rear and am fairly happy with the setup. Problem I have is I also ride some very fast flowy/jumpy trails with very grippy berms in the corners, and I have to air up to about 25 psi front/30+ psi rear just to keep the tires from squirming and completely folding over in the berms. That leaves the ride a bit harsh for the high speed roots and rock gardens.

I am planning on upgrading to some ~35i rims, but not sure whether going with 35i and my current 29x2.4 tires is going to give me enough volume and sidewall support to lower the psi to smooth out the ride without folding the tires over.

Am I better off going with 35i rims and a 27x2.8 tire?

Seems like B+ tire choices are still fairly limited and very expensive for tires with reasonable weight and aggressive enough tread to an all-rounder.

Also, this is my PNW winter bike so still need a reasonable amount of mud clearance since I won't be seeing any dry trails for 6 or 7 months of the year.

Any suggestions?
    Well, you're in b+ thread, so you're going to get a lot of support for b+ conversion. As you mentioned, the issues are going to be mud clearance, psi and tire roll. At the end of the day, a 35mm 29 set with a beefy 2.4-2.5 sounds like the best of both worlds for you. I ride 2.4s on 29im set and it really helps you get the full benefit of the beefy tire.

That guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacobray View Post
    a 35mm 29 set with a beefy 2.4-2.5 sounds like the best of both worlds for you.
    ^This. I was very interested in going B+ on my Yelli, but decided I like how it rides with 29" wheels, plus I didn't want to drop the BB any lower.
    I've got a Chunky Monkey on front and a Geax Saguaro on back. I plan on eventually building some new wheels with ARC 30s or 35s, and hopefully finding some tires a bit bigger than 2.4, maybe as big as 2.6 if they'll fit.

mtbr member
    Back to more stoke:

I got my boost fork in yesterday and swapped them last night.

2013 Nimble 9 142mm a stretched over 148 hubs
    Reba 120mm boost fork
    Roval Traverse Fattie 29mm im
    Chupacabra 2.8's

Haven't gotten to hit the trails yet, but I've been playing around the house on it. I think it's gonna be a blast!

Chris Bling
    Back to more stoke:

I got my boost fork in yesterday and swapped them last night.

2013 Nimble 9 142mm a stretched over 148 hubs
    Reba 120mm boost fork
    Roval Traverse Fattie 29mm im
    Chupacabra 2.8's

Haven't gotten to hit the trails yet, but I've been playing around the house on it. I think it's gonna be a blast!

What axle are you using with the wider hubs?

Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Still using the 142. It threads in about 1/2" still, so I feel pretty comfortable with it.

Chris Bling
    Still using the 142. It threads in about 1/2" still, so I feel pretty comfortable with it.

Sketchy

Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Sketchy

Probably, by today's standards...it's still no Clunker or anything.

mtbr member
    Well, you're in b+ thread, so you're going to get a lot of support for b+ conversion. As you mentioned, the issues are going to be mud clearance, psi and tire roll. At the end of the day, a 35mm 29 set with a beefy 2.4-2.5 sounds like the best of both worlds for you. I ride 2.4s on 29im set and it really helps you get the full benefit of the beefy tire.

Yeah, you're probably right.

Unfortunately I don't know anybody currently running a B+ setup to give it a try, and I'm not willing to drop $400 on new rims, tires and spokes just to find out whether I like it.

I will probably buy a 35i 29er rim and re-lace my rear wheel to start. I can do that for about $100 to see if it makes enough of an improvement.

Worst case, I end up with an improved 29er wheelset, which I would want to keep on hand even if I went B+ down the road.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    What is your current inside width of your rim?

mtbr member

B+ Canfield stoke !!

What is your current inside width of your rim?

Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Finally posting pictures. Been setup this way for a while now. Cleaned her up to sell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowride454 View Post

Finally posting pictures. Been setup this way for a while now. Cleaned her up to sell.
    what's the rise of this hb?
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Just my opinion, i35 is too wide if you aren't going into plus size tires. The profile of the tire squares off and the tread is not used as intended by the manufacturer. Going from i21 to ~i30 will give you a noticeable advantage without being to extreme.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just my opinion, i35 is too wide if you aren't going into plus size tires. The profile of the tire squares off and the tread is not used as intended by the manufacturer. Going from i21 to ~i30 will give you a noticeable advantage without being to extreme.
    What about running + tires on i30 rims? Is this the middle-ground rim size where one could run + size or just regular wide (e.g., 2.3-2.5) tires?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Oldschool View Post
    What about running + tires on i30 rims? Is this the middle-ground rim size where one could run + size or just regular wide (e.g., 2.3-2.5) tires?
    Ibis cycles runs i35 wheels on all their bikes. And they seem to know what they are doing. I feel i35 is Great for 2.3-2.8" tires

Jeffro
    Dec 2012
    What didn't you like about them?

mtbr member
    Will keep that in mind. While the wider rim should square up the tire profile a bit, that isn't necessarily a bad thing on the rear depending on the tire you run. The tires I'm running have a pretty rounded profile, so I'm not too concerned going 35i in back.

I don't like square-ish tires up front, so I will probably try the 35i in back and see how the tire profile looks before committing on the front, and go with 30i there if it looks too square.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    what's the rise of this hb?
    they are Funn Full On 750 wide with a 30mm rise. Very good bar and super cheap from CRC. The stem a Funn Funnduro from CRC also.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    For my winter project I am building a B+ 2016 YS with a 140mm Pike (100x15) up front. Looking at going with Spank Oozy Trail 395+ (i35) rims and Rekon 2.8 tires. Anybody running a similar setup? Any clearance issues?

Any input is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    My buddy has the same setup and has plenty of clearance on his N9. Those Rekons aren't a true 2.8 so you should be fine.
    Guerilla Gravity stable: Megatrail, Trail Pistol, Pedalhead

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    do you guys think the wtb asym i29 is a good option to put on a first generation yelli? I want to try B+ without breaking the bank and I have the chance to buy this rear wheel for $160. Ideally, I want to go with the i.35 but then I'd have to get something built and can't do it as cheap

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    do you guys think the wtb asym i29 is a good option to put on a first generation yelli? I want to try B+ without breaking the bank and I have the chance to buy this rear wheel for $160. Ideally, I want to go with the i.35 but then I'd have to get something built and can't do it as cheap
    I'm running 29im roval traverse fattie's with chupacabra 2.8s. They were take offs and a cheap way for me to get into it at $250 for the set. Are they perfect? Probably not. Do they work and am I having a blast on them? Absolutely.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm running 29im roval traverse fattie's with chupacabra 2.8s. They were take offs and a cheap way for me to get into it at $250 for the set. Are they perfect? Probably not. Do they work and am I having a blast on them? Absolutely.
    great info. Those would be an awesome option for me if only they had 32 spokes :-( Love that rovals have the DT internals

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    great info. Those would be an awesome option for me if only they had 32 spokes :-( Love that rovals have the DT internals
    Yeah 32 rears and 28 fronts. Surprising that they put these on stumpjumpers. But they've held up great for me so far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I am running 2.3 minions (DHF/DHR) on 40 inside rim ("Smokin' gun" wheelset) and I never felt as good as with this combo ever
    Forget what you are thinking about right and wrong just go outside and try, you may be surprised

Chris Bling
    A quick pic of our last St George trip on the Riot. Set up B+ with Derby runs and Maxxis 2.8 rubber.

PRs on almost every trail up and down

Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    heres my 2017 Boosted N9.... running Atomik Carbon Chubbies with Maxxis rubber... super fun geo on the new version!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    This thread has been pretty quiet lately, but I hope someone can give me some advice on my wheel situation.

I have a 2016 EPO with MRP Stage 29er fork. Currently, I'm running 27.5 Spank Oozy 295 wheels (with i25mm) with WTB Ranger 2.8s front and rear.

I needed new tires, so I bought 2.8 a Minion DHF and a 2.8 DHR II, but they shipped with a card that says they have to be mounted on a minimum i39mm rim. So...

1. Will the new tires work on my current wheels, without rub and without unmanageable squirm?

2. What is the widest rim that I can get away with on the EPO using my new tires without rub (The Bros recommended no wider than 35mm external)

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have ran the Ranger 2.8's as well as the DHF 2.8's, both on i30 rims. If you didn't have a problem with the Ranger then you should have no issue with the DHF as they aren't any larger or wider from what I experienced. In fact I think my measurements were with the Rangers being like 1mm wider if I remember correctly. The DHF's do have a whole heck of a lot more traction though! I had a lot of wash-out issues with the Ranger when I pushed it hard. To be fair, I feel as though the Ranger really needs to be on a wider rim to take full advantage of it. The Maxxis plus tires have been performing great for me on i30's. I cannot comment about how big is too big for your frame though as I'm running these on my Riot.
    2016 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpyandhisBike View Post
    I cannot comment about how big is too big for your frame though as I'm running these on my Riot.
    Thanks! I think the Riot has 75mm internal width at dropouts and EPO has 78mm.

I'm planning to lace wider hoops when I have a little extra $$$, but will run the Minions as-is for now. I lived in Pennsylvania until January and then moved to Duvall, WA. My Rangers were great at around 20psi back East, but once I moved West, I found they squirmed a lot on corners at lower pressures. I'm hoping wider rims will correct that.

MTB B'dos
    If you were happy with the Rangers, chances are you'll be happy with the Minions, that being said, for me I like anything PLUS on i35> or wider or you have to run pressures way too high or get tyre squirm/roll. My current B+ rim of choice for 2.8" is the WTB Asym i35, if I was running 3.0">, I'd bump up to an i40 to i45. Just got a SHF 29x3.0" and I have it on a Dually45 (39mmm internal) and I honestly wouldn't want it on anything wider as right now the casing it just a smidge narrower the the knobs.

Quote Originally Posted by callmesb View Post
    This thread has been pretty quiet lately, but I hope someone can give me some advice on my wheel situation.
    I have a 2016 EPO with MRP Stage 29er fork. Currently, I'm running 27.5 Spank Oozy 295 wheels (with i25mm) with WTB Ranger 2.8s front and rear. I needed new tires, so I bought 2.8 a Minion DHF and a 2.8 DHR II, but they shipped with a card that says they have to be mounted on a minimum i39mm rim. So...

1. Will the new tires work on my current wheels,
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Put this up in the plus forum but figured I'd toss it around here two.

B+ Canfield Riot and Yelli
    2016 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Anyone have any experience running a 27.5 setup on a riot with a DVO diamond non boost 29 fork? Currently on a 29x2.5 maxxis minon dhf and its very tight. Just trying to figure out a 27.5 semi + setup.

TIA!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I will be running Syntace W35 rims (35 wide) on my 2017 Balance with CaneCreek Helm (110x15 spacing in front). Any advice on the rubber? I was thinking 2.5 WTB Convict OR Maxxis DHF 2.5 in front and Maxxis DHR 2.4 in the rear.

mtbr member
    Dusty Duke's I got a 2017 Riot and I'm looking to buy a set of WTB i35 29er rims an match them up with some DHF 2.5 wt. Do you think that all be OK with this set up with NO rubs?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B+ Canfield stoke !!-20170914_132157.jpg  

B+ Canfield stoke !!-20170914_132450.jpg  

B+ Canfield stoke !!-20170914_110227.jpg  

That guy
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboWolf 29er View Post
    Dusty Duke's I got a 2017 Riot and I'm looking to buy a set of WTB i35 29er rims an match them up with some DHF 2.5 wt. Do you think that all be OK with this set up with NO rubs?
    I'd try the 2.5" WTs on your existing i29 Flows to see if they'll fit. I don't think 6mm extra inner width will make much difference. I could be wrong, tho.
    American Idle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I'd try the 2.5" WTs on your existing i29 Flows to see if they'll fit. I don't think 6mm extra inner width will make much difference. I could be wrong, tho.
    Yeah but those are the old flow ex's w/i25 inners. With an updated sticker Lol...So i'll be going up 10mm extra an i really what to Go all in if I'm going to get all new wheelset! I've Used the dhf WT on the flow ex and they are my favorite and Maxxis is coming out with a bunch of WT tires soon.

That guy
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboWolf 29er View Post
    Yeah but those are the old flow ex's w/i25 inners. With an updated sticker Lol...So i'll be going up 10mm extra an i really what to Go all in if I'm going to get all new wheelset! I've Used the dhf WT on the flow ex and they are my favorite and Maxxis is coming out with a bunch of WT tires soon.
    Ah, I see now, thought those rims looked a bit different than the MK3. Looks like you got the clearance in the fork at least.

Those blue and green accents really make that black bike look colorful.
    American Idle

mtbr member
    Thank you

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    This is a good article that shows the affects of a few internal mm in a rim and how it affects the profile. It is kinda marketing bs, but it shows how the wt tread is designed.

Wide Trail (WT) Design | Maxxis Tires USA

mtbr member
    This is a good article that shows the affects of a few internal mm in a rim and how it affects the profile. It is kinda marketing bs, but it shows how the wt tread is designed.

Wide Trail (WT) Design | Maxxis Tires USA
    Yeah the 35mm rim and the WT tires definitely look wider then the rest but it doesn't look like that much. My plan is to run wtb i35 29er rims WT Minion up front and WT aggressor out back.
    Nice visual though! Stans website has some kind of visual tire diagram they call it wideright Lol. To sell their new line of wider rims.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B+ Canfield stoke !!-screenshot_20170916-214610.jpg  

B+ Canfield stoke !!-screenshot_20170916-214537.jpg  

That guy
    I'm running a 26x2.8" DHF on a i29 Flow MK3 and I like it so far, seems to be a great combo even tho Maxxis says i39 minimum for their 2.8s, lol. Sometimes you gotta jump in and try things out for yourself. Lotsa good info around here if you do some digging.

B+ Canfield stoke !!-dhf-flow.jpg

I'm getting the itch again to try B+ on my Yelli. I really do like it with 29s tho, might try a similar inner width rim (i29) to replace my Arch Exs and pair with some Maxxis WTs.
    American Idle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12