mtbr member

anyone climb a lot with a coil on a 2016 balance?

thinking about going back to a coil, but haven't ridden one on a balance yet. my local is very steep and pedally, so i'm looking for something without noticeable bob on the ups. I don't see a whole lot of lock out options on anything except the PUSH and i want to be sure that's the best choice before i drop that kind of cash. the ohlins ttx 22 m looked awesome, but the only review I could find said there was noticeable bob for as epic as it was pointed down. grr. maybe the jade?

help?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I am on a Riot with an avalanche shock but should be similar. The "bob" i get from climbing gives me tons of traction while not feeling sluggish like other bikes I've ridden. I would say what you loose is stand up fire road mashing you gain in technical climbing and downhill. It all depends on what type of climbing you are doing and how fast you are looking to do it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I ride an 11.6 on the Balance, and have lots of short, steep, loose climbing, along with the long steady stuff. My two valves are set up for pure DH and firmer jump/berm/flow. The Balance doesn't need a dedicated climb switch or lockout.

The extra traction from the coil is fantastic and makes climbing easier. It's so noticeable, you can possibly go to a faster-rolling rear tire without giving up drive traction (conditions permitting). You can stay in more relaxed body positions, with it taking less body english to get up/over/around rocks and roots and such without spinning out. That makes you more efficient overall.

You know how a good FS bike climbs more efficiently than a hardtail, because you loose power transfer when the rear bounces off things? Putting a well-tuned coil on a Balance is similar - you loose less energy when the rear wheel can glide up and over things instead of getting momentarily hung up.

A properly tuned coil will have plenty of visible "bob", but what you're seeing is the suspension actuating to keep the center of mass moving in a straight line despite bumps in the way. Without the friction of air seals, and a proper (light) LSC tune, you aren't actually loosing as much energy when the shock cycles.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'm on a riot with an avalanche chubbie. Not the best pavement or fire road bike. But I'd ride a hardtail if this was what I'm riding mostly. The Bob I get isn't felt, but can see if I look down, definitely moving forward not down. The suspension itself is very efficient and with the coil, I have the best technical climbing I've ever had, traction and up and over without squating.

I can stand and pedal, as long as I keep it more fluid.

mtbr member
    Cane Creek Double Barrel Coil with climb switch, and the Fox DHX2 with the 2 position lever are two possible options.

I haven't used either of those shocks, but I do have a DHX2 coil on my '13 Canfield The One. That shock was an incredible improvement over the CCDBA that came off.

I wouldn't hesitate to put a coil on my '17 balance. I have a DVO Topaz on it now which has a 3 position lever. I do use the most firm "climb" position on that shock when it gets steep, not because of pedal bob or any inefficiency in the suspension design. The reason I use it is that the shock rides higher in the travel with the switch on, when the going get's supers steep (think 25% grades). The shock will stay right at the initial sag point regardless of how steep it gets.

My issue is with sagging back in the travel because I have very long legs (~36.5" cycling inseam), so my seatpost height is very high, leading to weight further back than someone with shorter legs. (slacker actual seat tube angle come in to play more than the steeper calculated effective seat tube angle).

With the DHX2 on my The One, I give the spring preload a few turns to stiffen things up if I'm starting a long/steep climb. More hassle that a climb switch, but not a big deal for me either since most of our climbs are 30 minutes to 1 hr+ continuous. I don't think I'd need to do this on the Balance with a coil (even without climb switch) because it doesn't sink back in the travel near as much as my 200 mm rear travel The One does.

I would like to hear if anyone has any experience with the 2 position lever on the DHX2 and whether it impacts how high the shock rides in the travel when climbing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Jade on a Balance. Climbs better than my Santa Cruz TBLT. I like it so much I bought a Riot with a Jade.

mtbr member
    Would have to agree with all of the above. I went from a supposed "mountain goat" to a Riot, then to a Balance with a coil and it is by far the best climber of the bunch for me. I have an MRP Raze with SLS spring. I can constituently make features I couldn't before and most have to walk up. I also like having no switch. Set and forget.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm riding with a CC DB Coil CS. I love it. I made the change from a DB air. I was expecting an improvement going down. But to my surprise going up feels great. Lots of traction in the technical climbs and in the smooth climbs the pedad bob is not bad.

Get a coil you will love it.

I decided on the CC as the CS increases the LSC and slows down the LSR. It works very nice. The 11-6 is way too much money and I don't consider it is worth it.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys! Went with the Ohlins TTX22M Universal. Just got it from Germany yesterday! I was so stoked, and then of course they left out the fricken rebound adjustment knob, so now I have to wait again. Argh! Painful.

Appreciate the replies and the info.

mtbr member
    Just finished a 2-3 mile climb on the Balance with a Jade and the bike felt great. No regrets taking the Topaz off and gaining ~ 1 lb in weight.