mtbr member
    Mar 2011

any yelli owners rode a rip9?

I have a yelli now but really want a FS bike also. Looking at getting 2012 rip9 and building it up. Any yelli riders ever rode one and how would you compare it to riding on the yell?
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Better idea, wait a month for the new top secret black box model coming from these guys.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden one extensively but from what I remember it's a long, typical geo f/s monster bike. Not my style. I'd be surprised if it goes around a corner as well as your Yelli. If you want a fancy f/s 29er I'd be looking at a Ripley. No matter what you do get a 51mm offset fork.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Not a lot of time on a Yelli except riding someone's around a little, but the rip9 I found way too steep; handling was the kind of twitchy xc stuff from the 90s before we knew any better; no way I'd ride a 51mm offset fork on that - I'd get the shortest offset I could to try to compensate for the too-steep head angle.

I'd look at the Yeti SB95, Banshee Prime and even the Rocky Instinct for a more Yelli-like handling FS 29er. Or better yet, wait till the brothers show their cards.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have no issues going back and forth between my Transition Bandit 26 and my Yelli, both very fun and playful. Soon to be Bandit 27.5!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    Not a lot of time on a Yelli except riding someone's around a little, but the rip9 I found way too steep; handling was the kind of twitchy xc stuff from the 90s before we knew any better; no way I'd ride a 51mm offset fork on that - I'd get the shortest offset I could to try to compensate for the too-steep head angle.
    Ever ride a 29er with a steep head angle and an offset fork? Just curious. I think there's too much importance put on head angle and not enough on the fork trail. I think Fisher was spot on with this stance. I've owned two XC 29ers that I rode very briefly, SUPER STEEP angles on paper, standard offset forks, neither of them went around a corner nearly as quickly as the Yelli.

Head angle alone does not equal a well handling bike. I think there's something to the 51mm offset. I've ridden the Yelli with both, hands down the 51mm just makes it turn that much better, I'm losing nothing and gaining faster handling, I'd rather err on the side of "twitchy" than monster truck handling. (I don't find it to be twitchy). I'm riding a super short stem and wide bars, maybe that's calming it down a touch? I think both of those standard geometry 29ers would benefit from an offset fork. The biggest issue with 29" wheels is their lack of maneuverability in the corners.

Fisher has spec'd their super steep angle bikes with offset forks. Ibis recommends an offset fork on the Ripley which sits at 70 degrees with a 120mm fork. After riding both iterations I felt like the 51mm offset provides a more 26er like handling. I realize that what I'm jabbering on about is only one aspect of bike handling. Wheelbase, reach, and chainstay length... all super important on the wagon wheel bikes... feel like I've learned a lot about bike triangles this year as those numbers seem to be more important if you choose to ride a 29er.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by plume View Post
    Ever ride a 29er with a steep head angle and an offset fork?
    Yes, a few days on 2 RIP9s (one carbon, the other not), a Ripley, a very unfortunate time on a fisher-designed trek (I was on vacation with my One when it broke, and that was the only thing there was to rent in the area), a few demos on older fishers... I also have a bit of coursework in motorcycle handling, not claiming to be an expert by any means, but I don't think I'm totally speaking out my ass, or just parroting some internet know it all (who generally doesn't know that much).

Going to the higher offset, you are giving up something, it just isn't something you were using. Higher offsets and slacker angles work ok together, high offsets and steep angles don't, IMO. Ibis totally missed the mark with the ripley, with a 120mm, 51mm fork it handles like a road bike. I'm sure for some lycra wearing xc type that's a good thing, but it's not for me. Those "genesis" fishers were some of the worst handling bikes I ever rode, and I started riding in the 80s when no one knew how a mtb should handle.
    Head angle doesn't alone determine handling, neither does offset, slapping a 51mm fork on a 70+ degree frame... is going to handle like a road bike because it's the same steering geometry.
    I agree 51mm offset makes the bike handle more like a 26er with the same head angle; when's the last time you saw a 26" bike with a 70+ head angle? My One is under 65 and I wouldn't want it any steeper.
    Last edited by Joules; 10-29-2013 at 08:17 AM.