mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Any plans for Tapered headtube on Nimble9?

Looking at a nimble and notice the lack of tapered head tube which seems to be the industry standard now. Any plans for tapered tube in the future? Is there any noticeable flex on the current model? Also additional water bottle mounts would be nice sweet.

empty beer member
    I'm ok with the current HT as far as flex is concerned. Having a 44mm HT would be nice to have more fork choices though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I think the flex in the N9 is mostly the front triangle twisting (I weigh 200 lbs and ride a large). So I would echo the thought that a 44 mm HT would be nice to allow more fork options, but I don't think it would do much else. You would need larger, heavier main tubes and/or a stiffer metal (such as 853) to accomplish greater stiffness.

I base these observations off of owning 3 steel mountain bikes - a Nimble 9, an Evil Sovereign, and an old Dean made of 853 - as well as a Seven road bike made of 853. The Nimble and Evil look like they could have been made in the same place, yet they are like night and day when it comes to front end stiffness. Both are set up with beefy rims, both have Reba forks, the Evil has 26" wheels and a QR skewer while the N9 has 29" wheels and a 20 mm through axle.

With that said, I think the stiffness (or should I say flexiness) of the N9 is acceptable. It is part of the "steel feel." Not the greatest stability but the trade off is its more comfortable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Sorry but I don't think so
    I am 220 and never felt any flex problem, rear or front.
    I have/had many steel frames to compare.
    I don't need something different then 1.1/8, the bike looks clean and nice that way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I too would have appreciated the ability to use tapered forks. It isn't that I want a tapered fork, but just that some forks are only offered with tapered head tubes. The new niner thu-axle carbon forks, the 34mm stanchion fox forks, x-fusion forrk, etc.

Color options are limited with straight forks as well. To get a black fox float 120mm with 15mm axle, I had to find an OEM 2010 model on ebay. Even then, it was just the RL and not the RLC model.