mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Any Nimble riders have a Krampus?

I'm interested in a Surly Krampus and curious how the geo and handling compare to the Nimble 9.

The reviews on the Krampus talk about short chainstays, nimble handling, slack geo, etc. etc. All the stuff I love about my N9.

My question is just how similar does this bike feel to a N9?

perpetual pucker factor
    have you asked in the Surly forum? The Krampus seems to be a pretty rare bike, and you might have a better chance of finding Krampus riders there. But just out of curiosity (no offense meant at all), why are you looking for a bike that is like the N9 when you already have one? Seems like it would be a lot of overlap if you were going for a second bike.

But going off the geo from the web pages, it seems like the Krampus has decidedly longer chainstays (around an inch longer). And the Canfield has a slightly slacker head angle, but the exact angle depends on the fork you put on it. And I have to admit, the N9 looks a heck of a lot hotter to me. Sexy sexy curves.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have a Moonlander that I recently have been riding on dry singletrack since my N9 is in for service. I am really impressed how the ML rolls on dry terrain even with massive Bud and Lou mounted. It got me thinking how the Krampus would do as an in between bike.

I would probably run the Krampus SS and rigid so I would want it to handle similar to my N9.

Plus it's damn cool....

6x7=Dont Panic!
    I have three friends who have Krampus's (are they that rare?) and have had some time on one of them. My Nimble 9 just shipped today so hopefully I will be able to answer your question from real experience soon. I know a Krampus will take fatter tires and that it has sparkle green paint that is composed of at least 42% awesomesauce. I picked the Nimble because of the geometry and I like the idea of supporting a smaller company. Frankly, if I could afford both bikes I would have a rigid Surly 1x1 and a 1x6 Canfield with 120-140mm adjustable RS Revelation.

*I rode a surly today again and it was pretty awesome on the Knards; although at some points I really wanted a bit more traction. Not too many 29+ tires out yet. I had fun but I am more than stoked to try my new nimble. All candy tastes good! Yes, even the black licorice.
    Last edited by TheRedMantra; 08-06-2013 at 06:12 PM.
    Herro prease

Gigantic Hawk
    My lbs has a few Krampuses. I've taken one out for a short spin and it's somewhat awkward. It feels like it steers itself. The wheels are quite heavy. A friend has a Moonlander and a Krampus. He loves the ML, but finds the Krampus cumbersome. He does not like the knards at all. Says they are like a motorcycle tire and they pack with mud easily.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Any Nimble riders have a Krampus?

Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    My lbs has a few Krampuses. I've taken one out for a short spin and it's somewhat awkward. It feels like it steers itself. The wheels are quite heavy. A friend has a Moonlander and a Krampus. He loves the ML, but finds the Krampus cumbersome. He does not like the knards at all. Says they are like a motorcycle tire and they pack with mud easily.
    Interesting comments especially since he has a ML. My first ML ride on dry trails had me thinking it steered itself. But eventually I adapted and started to really like it. Hard to describe in words but just fun.

I have all the parts to build a Krampus except frame and wheels and got thinking it would be fun to have an "in between" bike instead of another regular SS or fatbike (considered an SS Pugs) which would require buying a new crankset.

Of course I don't need another bike but that is a different story...😜