mtbr member
    May 2008

Any interest in a 650b Canfield?

I just built up this older Canfield Balance w/CrMo front triangle to try the 650b wheels. It's really good on climbs and awesome on the descents.
    It's a little heavy and the head angle is pretty slack @65, but overall a really great bike. If I had a proper 650b fork, it should be even better.

A lighter frame w/updated geometry would be great.

I understand Canfield is working on a 140ish travel 26" bike...maybe 650b wheels could work? (via adj dropouts similar to the Balance)
    Maybe w/updates like ISCG mounts, tapered steerer tube and 12mm thru axles, maybe bigger BB?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any interest in a 650b Canfield?-balance_650b_med.jpg  

Last edited by dpeterson64; 08-27-2012 at 03:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yes, the new One would be an amazing bike I think! Brothers?

mtbr member
    I'd be interested for sure, particularly if the frame came with an option for 26er as well as 650b.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    Something 650b with 160mm would be the perfect accomplice to my Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    650b full suspension with with 140-145mm rear travel that can take a fork up to 160mm with ISCG tabs and the same great platform and a higher BB than my 2011 one. I'd be interested.

Canfield Brothers
    dpeterson64 - Loving the 650b Balance... I remember when Chris did his 29'r version!!!

So you ALL know we are listening to every post with the design of this new bike. The ability to run 650b is def. on the plate. Like Lance said before, we are AT LEAST a year, year and a half out, but it is in the works!!!

In the meantime, keep the innovative ideas coming!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks KVT, it's crazy but my confidence has really increased...only a tire/wheel change and extended the rear to fit...it's my "go-to" bike now...the YS still gets some love though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    PLEASE make a 650 rear end for the 2012 one, how long can that take to design and manufacture? Seems like the frame is already perfect for it with the low BB and slack head angle!

Inrideo est vita
    Quote Originally Posted by confused View Post
    PLEASE make a 650 rear end for the 2012 one, how long can that take to design and manufacture? Seems like the frame is already perfect for it with the low BB and slack head angle!
    I will buy a 650B rear for my 2012 in a heartbeat. It is my only complaint with this bike (no 650B clearance).
    It would also fix the BB height issue, which is a little low (not complaining though )
    Canadian distribution: X-Fusion Shox, Rand Momentum lube and Canadian Shield fenders.
    TheRide.ca
    Facebook

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

650b

I would say a 140 to 160mm travel one style platform with 650b. A little higher bottom bracket, adjustable geometry, somewhere between 67 to 65 degrees. It would fill in the light all mountain shredder nich. A yeti SB66 killer, light and fast. Something you can build up under 30 lbs with a 160mm fork.

mtbr member
    Looking at what Banshee is doing with their Rune, giving options for the consumer to go between the 26 and 27.5 wheel sizes is the way to go. Seems to be a smart way to test a product without having to be solely dedicated to a 650b frame.

It looks like most of the newer forks will be standard (XFusion), to accommodate both sizes as well. Again allowing the to consumer experiment between the two sizes, without adding a risk of the consumer making a wrong expensive decision.

If it turns out that one didn't like the 650b, one would just keep the fork and then maybe flip the wheelset or rebuild it back to a 26. For me personally this why I'm more likely to try the 650b thing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    Looking at what Banshee is doing with their Rune, giving options for the consumer to go between the 26 and 27.5 wheel sizes is the way to go. Seems to be a smart way to test a product without having to be solely dedicated to a 650b frame.

It looks like most of the newer forks will be standard (XFusion), to accommodate both sizes as well. Again allowing the to consumer experiment between the two sizes, without adding a risk of the consumer making a wrong expensive decision.

If it turns out that one didn't like the 650b, one would just keep the fork and then maybe flip the wheelset or rebuild it back to a 26. For me personally this why I'm more likely to try the 650b thing.
    Like he said,plan to order one soon,looks to be the best option out there for now,this wheel size just makes sense for the type of riding I like!

Baby Bear is in the house

hardtail!

I'd go for a Nimble 7
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by SSteel View Post
    I will buy a 650B rear for my 2012 in a heartbeat. It is my only complaint with this bike (no 650B clearance).
    It would also fix the BB height issue, which is a little low (not complaining though )
    What fork you running? MM's?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Have to agree with you on that...my YS is feeling a little "Big" in some tighter trails...

FM
    luxatio erecta
    My .02c:
    I can see 650b probably being awesome for suspension bikes, where the wheelbase and chainstay length start to get awful long in order to provide clearance for big wheels, big tires, suspension compression and pivots.

On a hardtail… 29” wheels can fit in without the chainstays or wheelbase getting so long. My yelli screamy wasn’t any longer than my 26” AM hardtail…. But it sure was faster! I’ve never had any complaints about the yelli being flickabe/easy to wheelie etc.

I would love to see a carbon version of the 29” yelli screamy frame… with that dropper-friendly 30.9 seat tube.

As for 26 vs. 650b vs. 29 debate…..I can see where all three will stick around, which is best depends on the particular bike and rider.
    29" AM hardtail
    650b FS AM trail bike
    26" long travel FR/DH bike
    That would be a pretty sweet stable

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    My .02c:

I would love to see a carbon version of the 29” yelli screamy frame… with that dropper-friendly 30.9 seat tube.

As for 26 vs. 650b vs. 29 debate…..I can see where all three will stick around, which is best depends on the particular bike and rider.
    29" AM hardtail
    650b FS AM trail bike
    26" long travel FR/DH bike
    That would be a pretty sweet stable
    Well said Didn't think I would, but I can see a 29" hardtail coming pretty soon....

So whats the go Canfield Brothers, whats on the 650b drawing board? Surely you guys want a piece of the 27.5" pie.

I reckon The One is naturally primed for for it's next incarnation...