mtbr member

Advice on a fork for my new Yelli

Deals were so good on the YS closeouts that I decided to pick up a frame and build it up - I've got pretty much all the major parts already except the fork. I know there are a lot of options for this frame - I plan to build it up as a 29er, and based on everything I have read and how I ride (aggressively and for the DH not the climb) it seems like at least 130 mm is the way to go, if not 140mm.

This build was supposed to be on the budget-ish side - not junk components but just not top of the line everything since my RM Altitude is dialed with all top of the line, so this is a "backup / alternative" bike build but of course I still want it to be capable and fun to ride with components that last and are safe!

I'm trying to decide if I should just be patient and look for a good deal on an older, used high-end-ish, known, name brand fork (Float, Pike, Diamond, Deville, etc.), or buy something slightly lower end new from a known name brand on sale (Yari, Rhythm), or maybe even try an less common (around here at least) brand (Marchozzi, Magura, etc.) that can be picked up pretty inexpensive - I know these companies have been around forever, but I just don't see people riding these forks around here and have never ridden them myself. Based on how much people ask for used stuff, it almost seems like new on sale for a good deal is the way to go since you probably need to service it and then you end up not saving much.

So what do you think? Is 140 the way to go? Anyone have any experiences with the less common branded forks on a YS or similar bike?

Thanks for your advice!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The seat angle is pretty slack with 140 I definitely would not go further. I also think after 140mm the geo changes too much on a HT. If you want the best bang for your buck, get a Yari fork if you can still find them for 500.00.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Deals were so good on the YS closeouts that I decided to pick up a frame and build it up - I've got pretty much all the major parts already except the fork. I know there are a lot of options for this frame - I plan to build it up as a 29er, and based on everything I have read and how I ride (aggressively and for the DH not the climb) it seems like at least 130 mm is the way to go, if not 140mm.

This build was supposed to be on the budget-ish side - not junk components but just not top of the line everything since my RM Altitude is dialed with all top of the line, so this is a "backup / alternative" bike build but of course I still want it to be capable and fun to ride with components that last and are safe!

I'm trying to decide if I should just be patient and look for a good deal on an older, used high-end-ish, known, name brand fork (Float, Pike, Diamond, Deville, etc.), or buy something slightly lower end new from a known name brand on sale (Yari, Rhythm), or maybe even try an less common (around here at least) brand (Marchozzi, Magura, etc.) that can be picked up pretty inexpensive - I know these companies have been around forever, but I just don't see people riding these forks around here and have never ridden them myself. Based on how much people ask for used stuff, it almost seems like new on sale for a good deal is the way to go since you probably need to service it and then you end up not saving much.

So what do you think? Is 140 the way to go? Anyone have any experiences with the less common branded forks on a YS or similar bike?

Thanks for your advice!
    You could try out Suntours fork demo service. You pay I think $90 to try out a fork for 3 weeks. They set it to whatever height you want and preset a lot of it based on your weight and riding style and mail it to you. After you're done, you send it back and they send you a check to refund you for the initial amount you paid.

It'll give you a chance to try a fork at whatever height you want. I think you would want something like an Auron. They're also having a sale for 25-30% off their enduro forks. So something like their Aion or Auron might be what you're looking for. I tried it out and used an Auron on my Nimble 9 at 140mm. It was a good experience.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chestont View Post
    You could try out Suntours fork demo service. You pay I think $90 to try out a fork for 3 weeks. They set it to whatever height you want and preset a lot of it based on your weight and riding style and mail it to you. After you're done, you send it back and they send you a check to refund you for the initial amount you paid.

It'll give you a chance to try a fork at whatever height you want. I think you would want something like an Auron. They're also having a sale for 25-30% off their enduro forks. So something like their Aion or Auron might be what you're looking for. I tried it out and used an Auron on my Nimble 9 at 140mm. It was a good experience.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Good stuff - I didn't know about this - Suntour is definitely a brand that IME does not seem to get a lot of respect, so never really considered them, but this sounds like a pretty good program to find out what they are all about

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Just buy a used pike. See them on FB all the time for around $400. Get 130 or 140. Easy to service yourself if you want to. Sram has detailed vids on YouTube.

mtbr member
    Just found a killer deal on a great condition Rock Shox Revelation RCT3 Dual Air that can be adjusted between 120-140mm - I think I might jump on it, but it is 20mm axle and my hub is 15mm

My 20mm Bos Deville fork has a thru axle that works with 15mm hubs (see picture) - anyone happen to know if there is something similar with Revelation? The deal on the fork is so good that I may just get it anyway and get a new hub or wheel and sell this one. This may warrant a fresh thread.

Advice on a fork for my new Yelli-127422_00_d.jpg

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Don't buy a dual air rock shox fork. It's a pain in the ass. Get solo air.

And a 20mm dual air Revelation is an OLD fork. It's not a good deal unless it's $100 or less.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the feedback here Iím going with the dvo diamond Even though it doesnít match at all - f it my color scheme will be no color scheme

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I was going to recommend the Diamond. Jenson has had at $599 forever which seems like a steal. They only have one travel length though, 150mm which is internally adjustable down to 120mm.