perpetual pucker factor

650b rear triangle for The One a possibility?

Yes, another what-if thread.
    I know that there are plenty of rumors (and even a photo or two) of a Canfield 650b machine that "may or may not" be in the works. Excited to see it! But then I got to thinking: Would it be possible to create a replacement rear end for the current gen ('11-'13) The One that would give owners the possibility of choosing their wheel size? Since it isn't a major leap from 26 to 27.5, it might not screw up the geometry too much. But then again, the potential 3/4"-ish increase in chainstay length, bb height, or the increase in leverage ratio might be insurmountable. Maybe a new rear triangle + revised upper link would fix all three of those issues. Just thought I'd post it up to see what everyone thought.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member

650b rear triangle for The One a possibility?

Have been thinking about this exact topic and came across this older post...so...bump!

Anyone out there running a 27.5 front wheel on a The One? By far the most amazing frame I've ridden as is, just curious about the larger wheel size.

Canfield Brothers
    The new 27.5 frame you'll be seeing soon from CB is a no compromise design. The One would be a bit long in the CS. With all the parts that would need to be redesigned, not really an option. Keep your e-Eyes open this week.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Inrideo est vita
    Build me one and I will buy it, long wheel base, or no. JUST TAKE MY MONEY!
    Canadian distribution: X-Fusion Shox, Rand Momentum lube and Canadian Shield fenders.
    TheRide.ca
    Facebook

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SSteel View Post
    Build me one and I will buy it, long wheel base, or no. JUST TAKE MY MONEY!
    Agreed. I already have a 150mm AM 650b bike. I want a 650b 7"-8" freeride bike that I can take to the park but still climb with. It doesn't appear that anyone is stepping up to the plate. I'm concerned that the first 180mm 650b bike is going to be a 2015 Specialized Enduro Evo... Maybe the true freeride bike is dead. It seems like all of the bikes from years past have either been discontinued or have been travel reduced during their transition to 650b (Kona Process, Knolly Delirium, Transition Blindside, Yeti AS-R 7, Norco Truax, etc..). Then again, it is a new size and it does take time. Right now neither Fox or RS are making a 180mm 650b fork and time will tell if they ever do. Fox has stepped up with the new Fox 40 27.5 as well as a new 170mm Fox 34 for the Scott Genius.

Regardless, I'll probably buy the new Canfield Balance, but I wish it was going to have more than 6.3" of travel.
    Last edited by INCONEL; 12-02-2013 at 01:22 PM.

mtbr member
    My heart stopped, my stomach free fell when I just read flymybike's comment.

If it's going to be as good as I'd expect the frame to be you guys at Canfield HQ better be ready for frames to fly off the shelfs!
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

mtbr member
    No kidding CRS..... its gunna be hard to get one with all the new and future CB bike owners!!!!! Gunna have to get my deposit in REAL early to lock one in...

Been toying with putting the 650b wheels back on my 2011 ONE just to apease my hunger...lets see, that will give me a 650 Nimble and a 650 One to choose from to ride
    Trying to painfully relive some of youthful adventures!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rsullivan View Post
    No kidding CRS..... its gunna be hard to get one with all the new and future CB bike owners!!!!! Gunna have to get my deposit in REAL early to lock one in...
    Sorry guys, based on the International Rules of "Dibs", the first Balance is heading down to New Mexico.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

mtbr member
    So that is what you were calling me about..... Soooo not fair!!!!
    Trying to painfully relive some of youthful adventures!!

Inrideo est vita
    So I know this is a bit of a fantasy, but Ibis is doing exactly what I wish/hope for/dream about... a 650b retrofit for their frames:
    Ibis Swingarm Converts Mojo HD to 27.5-inch Wheels - Pinkbike

I get that the wheel base would be longer, but I would be ok with that. Honest.
    Canadian distribution: X-Fusion Shox, Rand Momentum lube and Canadian Shield fenders.
    TheRide.ca
    Facebook

perpetual pucker factor
    well, they've officially said that the Balance will be replacing The One, so I doubt they will be expending much effort on projects related to it. I'd love one too, but if I am honest with myself, I think I want it less as a performance gain thing and more of an 'I have the latest trend' thing. Adding nearly an inch to the chainstays would definitely be noticeable in a bad way, and the very minimal rolling improvement of the 650b wheels just wouldn't be a big enough improvement to get me to spend $400+ (just a guess) on a new rear triangle, plus $700 more on a new wheelset. And Canfield has probably already thought of all that stuff while making decisions, because they are smarter than us.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    minimal rolling improvement of the 650b wheels .
    I'm not a zealot on wheel sizes as I think they all have their place.

Regarding the difference between 26 and "27.5" - Using ISO RD: 559 vs 584 = 25mm = 1'' = not much...

I like, the unfortunately unpopular, mixed wheel size platform. The front wheel of a bicycle and rear wheel do different things. I own 4 "69ers" and love them.

Anyway, just killing time here but I think the interesting (and cheaper) experiment is on the front. No frame rework. Due to the recent heavily discounted 650b Talas, I'll be doing a tinkering experiment on a few bikes. I really don't expect much but still curious.

My, late to the party, One isn't done yet so no first hand experience with it in my stock form which will use a 170mm Lyric. But I'll eventually put that 650b 34 Talas set at 160mm, which should be close to the same A2C 555, and see what's what with that config.

Before the 650B guys or those waiting on the Balance get up in arms, I do understand and endorse the merits of that selection. Horses for Courses.