mtbr member

51mm offset forks?

Anyone tried the "gary fisher" 51mm fork offset on a Canfield Yelli or Nimble? Hard to imagine they could handle too much better than they already do but I noticed that Rock Shox has a few offerings in that offset now....

Fork trail is something that most of us overlook I think.
    My one says BRAP!

AOK
    mtbr member

51mm offset forks?

Soon.... I mounted my White Bros Loop on my Yelli a few nights ago. No rides yet.

IIRC, the loop has an offset of 49, so kind of in between the "standard" 46 and 51 mm offsets.

Fwiw, I have a 51mm Pike on my Banshee Prime and love it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the '13/'14 Fox 34 is also 51mm and I've seen plenty of happy Yelli/N9 owners with that fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Fox 34s have a 51mm offset too. I'm happy with my one, my yelli handle so good.
    I now pushed the fork to 150mm.

mtbr member
    I grabbed a SID 120 in this offset. Wow, I'd never run a 46mm fork again. There are something to the big wheels once you figure out geometry #s
    My one says BRAP!

the WALKING DEAD
    Jun 2006
    How does the handling change with the 51mm fork? Is it quicker? I'd like to hear more about how it changes the bike.
    Your momma's so nasty, she keeps ice between her legs just to keep the crabs fresh.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aph72 View Post
    How does the handling change with the 51mm fork? Is it quicker? I'd like to hear more about how it changes the bike.
    changing the offset from 44 to 51, both 29" wheels has about the same effect on trail (which is what really predicts handling) as making the head angle ~1 degree steeper, from what I can see it makes the head angle more "26er like" in that it kind of undoes the trail increase due to the larger wheels (compared to 26") at the same head angle.

IOW a 29er with, say a 68* head angle and 51mm offset will handle more like a 26er with the same head angle but lower offset.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aph72 View Post
    So in my research increasing the offset on the fork decreases the trail # and the smaller the trail the faster the steering. There's a sweet spot for sure - I don't think I'd want quicker steering at this point, but in the 29er world I'd always aim to get around those corners and switch backs as fast as possible.

If you're planning a Canfield 29er build, get the 51mm offset if you can. I speak very highly of Rock Shox as I think Fox is pretty over-rated these days. If you're going to 120mm get the SID, it's light and still really stiff. For 140mm the Pike or the Revelation, honestly I'm not sure I see a point in that much travel for a hard tail but I've been dead wrong before. For ME the sweet spot is 120mm.

Also 700mm wide bars (at least) and a 50mm stem if you're not already doing it... and an adjustable seat post. and good wheels, and FAT tires...
    My one says BRAP!