mtbr member
    Aug 2013

32t Wolf Tooth Ring on Yelli or N9

So there was a recent thread on the fitment of a 30t Wolftooth ring on a Yelli Screamy:
    30t Wolftooth Ring on a Yelli

I'm not sure if this also applies to the N9, but welcome any relevant feedback.

Anyway, I had a couple of WT rings (28 and 30) that I was experimenting with on my medium Yelli frame. A 28t ring fits with sufficient clearance but gearing was not to my liking and chain would rest on chainstay in smaller cogs of cassette. The teeth on the 30t clears the frame but barely, with the ring teeth slightly touching the inner tube wrapped around chainstay. I had to reposition the tube so it is out of the path of the ring. The chain position above the chainstay on the 30t was a little better, but still made occasional contact. I've been riding with this 30t for a few weeks now and it's working fine, but now looking for more high gear.

Question: Has anyone tried a 32t front ring on this frame? I would be really surprised if it fits, but that's what I said about the 30t ring before I tried it! I want to avoid adding bb spacers. Any testimonials or experience would be appreciated. Thanks!

To the Canfield boys, really loving this frame, but maybe a slight redesign of the chainstay to help with 1X drivetrain clearance on future frames?
    Last edited by kickhorse; 06-23-2014 at 02:42 PM.
    Vassago Jabberwocky SS
    Santa Cruz Highball
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Yeti SB95

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Makes me think your chainline is wrong.
    I've got a 36t in the middle position (51mm chainline) and it fits.
    Double check the spacers behind the drive side BB cup. Do the WT rings have the offset that maintains the 51mm chainline the way MRP does?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by buildyourown View Post
    Makes me think your chainline is wrong.
    I've got a 36t in the middle position (51mm chainline) and it fits.
    Double check the spacers behind the drive side BB cup. Do the WT rings have the offset that maintains the 51mm chainline the way MRP does?
    The WT rings are offset to maintain centerline. And yes, chainline is spot on as it is now. No bb spacers are being used.

What frame do you have the 36t installed on?
    Vassago Jabberwocky SS
    Santa Cruz Highball
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Yeti SB95

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Are you sure you aren't supposed to have a spacer on the BB side? Most manufactures call for one.
    Frame in reference is a '14 N9

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I guess I need to clarify that the front rings I am talking about are the narrow-wide direct mount Wolftooth rings for a 1x10 drivetrain. My cranks are SRAM X1. A bb spacer on this setup would negatively affect chainline to cassete, especially if running 40t or 42t rear cog.
    Vassago Jabberwocky SS
    Santa Cruz Highball
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Yeti SB95

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have a 32t Wolftooth direct mount ring on my 2013 N9 SS. X9 Crank. no spacers. No problems.
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning." 2drsrbtrrthn4

mtbr member
    I'm not sure if the narrow/wide are much larger diameter than a normal chainring, but for what it's worth I'm running a 32T SLX ring on slx cranks. Plenty of clearance between the teeth and the chainstays.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshM View Post
    I'm not sure if the narrow/wide are much larger diameter than a normal chainring, but for what it's worth I'm running a 32T SLX ring on slx cranks. Plenty of clearance between the teeth and the chainstays.
    I measured a 30t SRAM X01 ring and a 30t Wolftooth ring and diameter is very close to the same. I guess I'll just wait until this 30t ring gets to a point of needing replacing before looking into a 32t again. Thanks for all the responses.
    Vassago Jabberwocky SS
    Santa Cruz Highball
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Yeti SB95

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm running a 32t wolftooth on my yelli with an xo crank and a 104mm b.c. spider. Don't think there are any spacers. It would be nice to see some frame changes to make chainring clearance a little better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by HVskier View Post
    It would be nice to see some frame changes to make chainring clearance a little better.
    Yes, I agree. With most of us going with 1x drivetrains on our builds, an extra few mm's would really help.
    Vassago Jabberwocky SS
    Santa Cruz Highball
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Yeti SB95