Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

30t Wolftooth Ring on a Yelli

Working on a Yelli buildup and bought the Canfield Crank and a 30t Wolftooth.

Dropped the bike off at a LBS to have crank and headset installed and the mechanic says he can't get the ring to work with my frame.

Both crank and ring are for a GXP bottom bracket.

Anyone have any ideas or do I just need to suck it up and buy a new ring?

mtbr member
    Won't fit on the frame or won't fit on the crank? I can't see a 30t not fitting the frame but the bcd of the ring could not match the crank.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les MisÚrables

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Won't fit the frame. Clearance it too tight. I guess it hits the chainstay. Multiple spacer options were tried and he said he called Canfield also

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Huh. My RF NW 30t ring hit the CS too when just one spacer was on the DS of the BB. (Holy balls that's too many acronyms, sorry, lol).

I just put another spacer on the driveside and it works fine now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Is it a direct mount ring? You should be able to use a direct mount 30T ring on a Canfield crank. I can see a spider mounted 30t not fitting because of the off set to clear the spider.
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning." ShakyPuddin

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by swildnm View Post
    Is it a direct mount ring? You should be able to use a direct mount 30T ring on a Canfield crank. I can see a spider mounted 30t not fitting because of the off set to clear the spider.
    yes direct mount gxp

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skimatty View Post
    yes direct mount gxp
    Odd, I have a 32t Wolftooth direct mount on X9 cranks on my Nimble 9. I don't think the Nimble has any more chainstay clearance than My YS. My YS has a 32T spider mounted Race Face NW on Raceface Turbine cranks. Its close, but it works. What's the chain line with that ring? My WT ring on X9 is straight up 50mm.
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning." ShakyPuddin

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    After talking with Sean at Canfield and the mechanic that is installing it, I've ordered a bb30 direct mount ring which should have about 6mm more clearance and will hopefully solve the issue.

mtbr member
    I used the Wolftooth 30t ring with the Raceface Chester and later on a 2013 R/f Respond crank. It works because those cranks have about 5 or 6mm of chainline adjustment, and I moved the crank 2mm more to the drive-side.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by swildnm View Post
    Odd, I have a 32t Wolftooth direct mount on X9 cranks on my Nimble 9. I don't think the Nimble has any more chainstay clearance than My YS. My YS has a 32T spider mounted Race Face NW on Raceface Turbine cranks. Its close, but it works. What's the chain line with that ring? My WT ring on X9 is straight up 50mm.
    I've got a 30t RaceFace ring on my G1 N9 and it didn't have enough clearance until I got carried away with BB spacers. I ended up not being able to put that plastic thing in on the NDS arm (Shimano crank) but it's been on for a while now and I've had no problems.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

Chris Bling
    I'll add one to the mix. I have XT cranks with a Hope 30T Retainer ring that clears just fine with no additional spacers. A 32 would probably be too tight.
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I think I have it working with a 30t bb30 wolftooth ring, I haven't been able to ride it yet, but I'm 90% sure there will be no issues.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm

I think I have it working with a 30t bb30 wolftooth ring, I haven't been able to ride it yet, but I'm 90% sure there will be no issues.
    Did it work out? I'm currently running a 28t gxp direct mount Wolftooth ring for a X01 crank and it almost touches the chainstay. I was thinking about going up to a 30t, but based on the clearance of the 28t, I'm gonna guess the GXP ring won't fit, as you already found out. Please confirm that the 30t BB30 ring fits, so I can order the that one instead of GXP.

As an added comment to those considering 26t or 28t WT rings on a Yelli frame (not sure about N9), due to the low ring height on the smaller rings, chainslap will occur frequently on the chainstay even when using a clutch RD. With a 28t ring, while my chain is on the 11t cog, the chain is practically resting on the chainstay. My inner tube chainstay protector gets heavy wear from this (the one in pic was just replaced).

Here are some pics:

Transition Klunker
    Santa Cruz Highball SS
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Yeti SB95

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Why do you want to run a Wolftooth? Are you getting alot of dropped chains?

Im running a 32 MRP bling ring direct mount on X9 cranks. Its close to my chainstay but still have a few cm of space to work with. Im using a Zee shadow + 10spd derailleur and have had 0, zero, zilch, nada, no, chain drops and almost no chain slap. I ride in Western NC aka Pisgah and its definitely not smooth trail. only time I really hear the slap is going down really high speed root stairs. Even the RF Narrow/wide with a short cage XT on my Nomad slaps on that stuff though...

Even when Im in my 11t cog (which is rare where I ride) I get plenty of clearance over the chainstay.

If the Wolftooth doesnt work out for ya maybe try just a standard SS ring and a short cage clutch derailleur. Unless your really getting after it I dont think you'll drop a chain.

mtbr member
    30T Wolftooth here. No spacers. Clears the chainstay just fine (although it's tight). Like a few others have mentioned above, when in lower gears my chain nearly rests on my chainstay. However I am almost never in these gears so I could care less.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post

If the Wolftooth doesnt work out for ya maybe try just a standard SS ring and a short cage clutch derailleur. Unless your really getting after it I dont think you'll drop a chain.
    Just to clarify, I have not dropped a single chain while using WT rings. I was only pointing out to others that there is potential for chainslap on the chainstay due to tight clearances when using the smaller rings. Chain movement cannot be avoided no matter what bike you have. But the geometry of Canfield's Yelli just happens to make it's chainstay extremely close to the chain or ring, especially on a 1X drivetrain.

As for the trails I ride regularly, I definitely use my entire range of the 11-36 cassette.
    Transition Klunker
    Santa Cruz Highball SS
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Yeti SB95

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    obviously it would be ideal if you were able to use your current crankset. I was able to get an XT crankset and 30T Race Face Narrow Wide to work. Details here:

Yelli Screamy by Canfield ?

Bad cat!
    Bump...anyone else in this boat? Just got my new Yelli frame, had just started reading about this clearance issue while frame was on the way. I'm using a SRAM xo gxp bottom bracket (with 73mm bb shell NO spacers are used). Was also using a Wolftooth direct mount (spiderless) 32t chainring. Started checking it out on the Yelli and of course no way will the the 32 work. I used some spacers I had lying around just to check how much it would have to be offset and needed 2 spacers (5mm total) plus a couple of thin plastic spindle spacers just to model how far it would need to move--probably close to 6mm total.

So, can't do that--the left side crank needs to seat on the step on the shaft, if you move the shaft over to the drive side the step goes into the bb, and the crankarm just smashes into the bearing. Spacers are out.

Will a 30t even work in this situation? I could handle that, but if I have to go down smaller than that I'm out... For me, a NW chainring is pretty much becoming a standard--I run them on my bikes and I love 1x10 and I never drop chains. So does RaceFace have a different chainline, less inboard? Will one of their direct mount chainrings work better than the wolftooth? Anyone with any experience I'd love some advice...

Reading back I'm seeing references to this from 2012--I'm a little bummed that Canfield hasn't made some small tweaks to the frame to have it work a bit better with what's becoming a very common drivetrain setup. That and the fact that on my medium frame (I've always run medium bikes, they just plain fit me) the seatpost is going to be right on the minimimum insertion line, and also the water bottle bosses are placed so that with a sideloader specialized cage set to the very max of its downward adjustment a standard water bottle won't fit in the triangle...it's giving me a feeling that it's kind of "mailed in", like they aren't interested in changing this kind of stuff that I see people were mildly griping about 2 years ago. Note that I'm not making ANY judgement about how it rides, which I have every reason to believe will be awesome...

Here's a link to a pinkbike article that describes the exact kind of crankset/bb I'm using:Tech Tuesday: Install a SRAM X.0 Two-By-Ten Crankset - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I agree that Canfield should redesign the chainstay slightly to better accommodate 1x drivetrains. I have a 30t WT ring on a medium Yelli and it barely clears the frame. In fact, it is so close that sometimes quick backward rotation on the crank will cause chainsuck even with a clutch RD. It's already gouged the frame a couple times between the front ring and chainstay. I wrapped a zip tie where it usually hits which now prevents it from sucking into to the gap.

So yeah, in my case a 30t worked. I have a 32t that I mocked up and it was too close for comfort. Spacers would just tweak the chainline too much. I'm guessing a Raceface ring would still have this issue.

For reference, my crank is X01 GXP direct mount, XT cassette, X9 RD. I'm still having a blast on this frame, but would like it just a bit more if the 32t would fit. I even considered having a welder/machinist buddy modify the frame just a little bit.

CANFIELD Bros - are you reading this?
    Transition Klunker
    Santa Cruz Highball SS
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Yeti SB95

Bad cat!
    Thanks Kickhorse! To edit my post a bit, I would need to move the chainline outboard about 2-3mm. That is, if the Wolftooth direct mount nw was 2-3mm less offset it looks like it would work. Off to do some internet research and maybe order a 30 tooth. For what it's worth (nothing probably) a Home Brewed Components direct mount 32 tooth clears by miles (just know it's not narrow wide and so single speed or chainguide only--haven't ever tried it with a clutch der however). Still might have to put it on just to ride the bike a bit...

Bad cat!
    Ah ha--I think I need this: Direct Mount for SRAM BB30 Short Spindle Cranks ? wolftoothcomponents.com It's a sram direct mount but it's flat, whereas the ring I have is dished in. Will be a less ideal chainline but should work...

Anyone have a bottle cage link to throw me? One that will bolt right up and be "deep" enough to fit a full size bottle in the medium frame without going through a custom modification process involving mig/tig welding?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yeah I considered the bb30 ring too but was playing with the idea of a 42t big cog on the cassette and the offset chainline would have made it very difficult to shift properly. Post up your results when you've got it set up! Hope it works out.
    Transition Klunker
    Santa Cruz Highball SS
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Yeti SB95

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm surprised this isn't working for everyone else. I'm guessing it's an issue with the crank and ring combo. I've had both MRP and WT 30t direct mount GXP rings with X9 cranks on my Yelli and they both clear just fine with no spacers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonX View Post
    I'm surprised this isn't working for everyone else. I'm guessing it's an issue with the crank and ring combo. I've had both MRP and WT 30t direct mount GXP rings with X9 cranks on my Yelli and they both clear just fine with no spacers.
    A 30t fits, the discussion is regarding a 32t ring.
    Transition Klunker
    Santa Cruz Highball SS
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Yeti SB95

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Working on a Yelli buildup and bought the Canfield Crank and a 30t Wolftooth.
    Quote Originally Posted by kickhorse View Post
    A 30t fits, the discussion is regarding a 32t ring.
    I paid a lot of money to not wear glasses and you had me worried I'd wasted all of it for a second there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast