Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

2x and 3x Cranks on Yelli Screamy

Ok, guys/gals.

I read through 10 pages of the thread in the 29er forum and don't want to read through all 28 pages as there are tons of other info/discussions. I created this thread to simplify info on cranks for other people like me that want to know about 2x10 and 3x10 on the YS.

For those of you that are using 2x_ or 3x_, which brand/model are you using, what size chainrings and how many spacers?

Personally, I am a flatlander that is planning to do a 60 mile race in the hills in Arkansas in April. Long term I would like to be able to run a 1x_ but in my current fitness and lack of altitude training a 2x10 will be realistic for this race. I would like to know if my sram x7 s1400 2x10 crankset 26/39 175mm will work on the YS even with spacers.

Please let us know what you are running and what mods(if any) you had to do to make it work.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Shimano XT 3x10

I am running a Shimano XT 3x10 setup on my YS and it was a lot of effort getting it to work. This build was done by Chris Canfield himself with some tuning efforts from my local LBS.

Chainrings: 24/32/42 mated w/ a 11-36 cassette.
    BB Shims: 5m (comes with the BB ... any more and you start having chainline issues).
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XT Direct Mount.

The biggest issue I have found was with the getting the front derailleur to clear the rear tire because the tolerances with the frame are very, very tight. Removing the plastic guard covering the swing arm spring helped and the remainder was bending the FD cage to clear the nobs on the side tire when using the granny chainring (i am running a 2.2" Specialized Purgatory Control mounted on a P-35 rim).

This setup works well unless the rear tire packs up with mud resulting in a temporary loss of the granny gear. With the 36T on the cassette I can still climb effectively in the middle ring when this happens (as long as my lower back holds out).

The YS is very capable ride with the ability to handle light/medium FR given the beefiness of the frame and the slack geometry. But as to being a racing ride on a largely flat rolling terrain? ... I think you are going to get smoked by those riding Santa Cruz Tallboys or Niner AIR/JET. The YS earns its marks by being able to conquer terrain that would surely break a Tallboy, Air or Jet frame. But that is just my perspective.
    The quiver: 2010 Santa Cruz Nomad, 2011 Specialized Demo II, 2011 Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy.

beater

Race Face Deus XC

It's the 2006 model triple crankset (44/32/22), but I replaced the big ring with an e13 Turbocharger bash ring, so my gearing is 32/22 with a 11-34 cassette.

I'm not 100% sure about the BB spacing so I can't give you a completely useful answer - a friend at the LBS did the build for me. I can tell you that I was unable to replace the 32t ring with a 34t, as it didn't clear the chainstay. I didn't look into spacing the crankset out, b/c I liked the chainline as it was and I wasn't all that upset. But my experience is consistent with what I've read in the huge thread in the 29er forum, and I'm afraid that you're probably not going to have room to run a 39/26 on this frame.

I have a SLX direct mount FD, and I had to saw the alternate cable arm off the back of the derailleur in order to fit a WTB Stout (labeled 2.2). The side knobs will buzz the cage every now and then when I'm on the granny ring. Since that's always in low speed situations, I don't worry about it too much. I does mean I won't be running Hans Dampfs with a FD, though.

I'll second that this frame wouldn't be my first choice for the kind of race you describe, but that's a very individual decision. I may ride mine in our local enduro series, although that's a different style of race. On the other hand, I've always been hesitant to make how slow I am a matter of public record...
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    slx triple with what ever spacers you use with that crank set. 11 / 36 cassette in the back, no issues with a 2.2 crossmark or a 2.2 racing ralph.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    @jdusto and @evasive. I am definately open to your suggestions about the frame not being top choice for the race. Can you guys elaborate on why you dont think its the right frame?

I know that the Canfield brothers did not design this bike for Texas XC rides but here is why I thought that YS would be a good choice.....which happens to be the points that jdusto used for why he wouldnt choose the YS for my type of race.

Short Chainstays: People tend to feel sluggish on 29ers because of their longer wheelbase(naturally to compensate for the bigger radius of the 29 wheelset). Short CS would benefit me as I have read that it makes the bike more agile and great for cornering because of the weight distribution.

Slack Geometry: I have ridden a Yeti ASR SL since 2004 which has a slack HTA. I do not recall the exact HTA but know that I like it. I have tested other XC bikes and I cannot stand the 71 - 73 degree HTA. I feel like I am going over the handlebars. Also, I have peeked into the future and know that manufacturers are shooting for slacker HTA's on their XC bikes.

I agree that the YS is definately beefier for my kind of race as I believe that the medium weighs in at 4.5 lbs(to handle the intent of its designers). However, I cannot find a slack HTA, short chainstay frame that is not just as beefy.

I hate that this thread might go off-topic from my original post but I feel that you guys bring up a great discussion and would like to know more.
    Last edited by LowOnO2; 12-30-2011 at 10:53 AM. Reason: typos

beater
    If the geometry is what you're looking for, then it sounds like you're on the right track. It sounds like you know what you want, and you'll do a better job of assessing your need than some anonymous dude on the internet.

I personally prefer the short chainstays for the playful handling and the way the bike jumps, but never felt that the other 29ers I've owned were sluggish. My thought on using the YS for an XC race is just that, based on my perception of the designers' intent, and may not be at all valid for you. And the frame is a super fun ride.

The Paradox might also be worth considering, or at least asking about the crankset clearance. I haven't seen one in the flesh, so I won't speculate.

I'm with you on the evolution of geometry. I replaced a EMD9 with the Yelli. My HTA is probably in the neighborhood of 67* with a 44 set at the full 140mm. I like it, and don't have any problem climbing steeps with it. I did have to learn to weight the front wheel more than I was used to while cornering to prevent washouts.

Sorry for the thread drift...

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I have a SLX direct mount FD, and I had to saw the alternate cable arm off the back of the derailleur in order to fit a WTB Stout (labeled 2.2).
    I just built up a YS and ran into the same issue with my SLX FD(running a 2.25 Racing Ralph). I decided to saw the arm off as well. How did you end up routing the cut-off end of the cable to keep it from rubbing your tire?

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    I just built up a YS and ran into the same issue with my SLX FD(running a 2.25 Racing Ralph). I decided to saw the arm off as well. How did you end up routing the cut-off end of the cable to keep it from rubbing your tire?
    It runs in front of the arm, which holds it in place:

Name:  Photo Dec 31, 1 01 04 PM.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  52.6 KB

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    It runs in front of the arm, which holds it in place:
    Thanks for the photo. I'll have to give that a go. For now, the cable is held in(duct tape) the hollow section behind the FD mount.

Flaccid Member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jdusto View Post
    I am running a Shimano XT 3x10 setup on my YS and it was a lot of effort getting it to work. This build was done by Chris Canfield himself with some tuning efforts from my local LBS.

Chainrings: 24/32/42 mated w/ a 11-36 cassette.
    BB Shims: 5m (comes with the BB ... any more and you start having chainline issues).
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XT Direct Mount.

The biggest issue I have found was with the getting the front derailleur to clear the rear tire because the tolerances with the frame are very, very tight. Removing the plastic guard covering the swing arm spring helped and the remainder was bending the FD cage to clear the nobs on the side tire when using the granny chainring (i am running a 2.2" Specialized Purgatory Control mounted on a P-35 rim).

This setup works well unless the rear tire packs up with mud resulting in a temporary loss of the granny gear. With the 36T on the cassette I can still climb effectively in the middle ring when this happens (as long as my lower back holds out).

The YS is very capable ride with the ability to handle light/medium FR given the beefiness of the frame and the slack geometry. But as to being a racing ride on a largely flat rolling terrain? ... I think you are going to get smoked by those riding Santa Cruz Tallboys or Niner AIR/JET. The YS earns its marks by being able to conquer terrain that would surely break a Tallboy, Air or Jet frame. But that is just my perspective.
    /\ This. I'm running a Truvativ Stylo crank on mine, The upright seating position will get you smoked by the Weight Weenie Boys with the steep headset angles.

Other than that, it is an incredibly fun bike on the downs, love the way it manuals for lofting over obstacles out front, and it's turning style with the head tube angle and a 140mm Marz Micro Ti.. Just hurts my back at my advanced age, the hardtail. I think the Canfield Bros nailed it on the frame geometry, very playful bike on single track when moving at a good clip.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I am running a 140mm Revelation RLT from RockShox with a high headset stack, short stem and ultra wide bar and loving it. This is a bike that loves to go straight down the hill, attacking gnarl and dropping /jumping. Where the Niner Air and SC Tallboy will destroy you is on the climbs. I have ridden both and they fly up hills.

At the place I ride and build there was a bi-weekly time trails race around the XC loop this summer (roughly 4.5-5 miles in distance) with a variety of terrain and trails features (with the exception of steep down hill). The best times around the loop was set by a guy riding a Niner Air carbon at 22 minutes and this guy did it while avoiding all the wood TTF you can use as short cuts (which allows a good rider to cut another 0.5-1.5 minutes of their time around the loop). The next best times were set by guys riding Specialized Epic 29 carbon and SC Tallboys.
    The quiver: 2010 Santa Cruz Nomad, 2011 Specialized Demo II, 2011 Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jdusto View Post
    IWhere the Niner Air and SC Tallboy will destroy you is on the climbs. I have ridden both and they fly up hills.

The best times around the loop was set by a guy riding a Niner Air carbon at 22 minutes... The next best times were set by guys riding Specialized Epic 29 carbon and SC Tallboys.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    The upright seating position will get you smoked by the Weight Weenie Boys with the steep headset angles.
    I am reading that I should go carbon with steep HTA for racing. I wish that I had enough dough to get a YS to train, have fun AND a carbon steep HTA for racing. Arg!

mtbr member
    I have been looking at the YS and the only thing that is holding me back is the slack head angle. I like to race and also play in the woods on training rides.

Couldn't you put a angle set into the frame? Then you can tighten up the head angle 1.5 degrees for racing then put it back to 0 or slacken it out some more for playing and training.

What do you guys think about this?

as for the original question. Here is a vid put out by Canfield about crank set up on the YS
    Yelli Screamy tech - YouTube

The stumpjumpers have a chainstay of 435 and a ht angle of 71.5 (80mm fork)
    The air9 has a chainstay of 439 and a ht angle of 72 (80mm fork)

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by rupps5 View Post
    I have been looking at the YS and the only thing that is holding me back is the slack head angle. I like to race and also play in the woods on training rides.

Couldn't you put a angle set into the frame? Then you can tighten up the head angle 1.5 degrees for racing then put it back to 0 or slacken it out some more for playing and training.

Thanks for the Youtube link.

I've never researched the Angleset, so I'm not sure whether they offer a model that would work for the YS. I'm pretty certain that (MTBR member) SaarG7 could make a headset that would do the trick (if he's still making them) but they're not adjustable. He machines headset cups that achieve the specified angle, and to go back to stock you'd have to replace headsets.

I realize that you mentioned both training and fun rides, but I can't see why you'd want to train with a bike that would handle differently on race day. I don't think it would be like taking warmup swings with a weighted bat. If I race on mine, it'll be in an enduro series. That climb-followed-by-timed-descent style plays well to the bike's strengths, IMO. But if I do, I won't be terribly serious about it anyway.

At the end of the day, I don't see the Yelli Screamy as a frame that was designed/intended to be a good XC racing frame. Obviously that doesn't mean that someone couldn't race one successfully, but if some of the YS's distinctive design elements (like the slack geometry) give you pause, that might suggest that it isn't what you're looking for. But it is most definitely a fun ride.

mtbr member
    Sorry to continue to take this thread further off topic, but... If you are going to race more than once every blue moon you should think hard about getting two bikes. I have a hardtail carbon Superfly for racing and training, it really rocks on the race courses in TX. I'm just now building a YS to have fun with. I like to drop ledges and hit technical trails that my Superfly just can't handle, especially with light fast thinner tires and an 80mm fork. I'm keeping my YS pretty cheap, that's what's great about it being a hard-tail.
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

mtbr member

as for the original question. Here is a vid put out by Canfield about crank set up on the YS
    Yelli Screamy tech - YouTube

The stumpjumpers have a chainstay of 435 and a ht angle of 71.5 (80mm fork)
    The air9 has a chainstay of 439 and a ht angle of 72 (80mm fork)
    The problem with the vid is that it doesn't address the bigger problem, the FD. I have some Hans Dampfs on the way, hoping and doubting they fit with a FD.

mtbr member
    Anyone have any idea with FD offers the most clearance? The SLX with the arm cut off?

mtbr member

While I agree with everyone else here that the YS is not a race bike and will hardly become one by tweaking the headtube angle, an angleset will fit the 44/49 tapered headtube.

I have put an angleset on mine to steepen it 1 degree. I use this bike primarily on technical trails in the Northeastern US and while I loved the handling downhill at 68 degree HTA, it proved a little much for most of the bursty, technical climbs. My other trail bike is a Banshee Spitfire, and I wanted the Yelli to handle a bit sharper.

Not wanting to give up 120mm of travel up front I used an Angleset to bring the HTA to 69 degrees (-1 degree cups) and am very happy with the handling. Didn't give up much on the downs but certainly tightened up the slow-speed handling manners.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus2112 View Post
    Anyone have any idea with FD offers the most clearance? The SLX with the arm cut off?
    Mine is a Shimano XT with both the arm cut off, the plastic cover for the hinge spring removed, and a bit of bending performed on the derailleur chain guide with a set of vice clamps.

Now a Specialized Purgatory Control 2.2" clears.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Asmodeus, I talked to Sean today about this topic, among others. I'm going to be using a Sram x9 FD and he told me that it would work perfectly without any modifying.
    http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2014 Knolly Endorphin...Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Thanks Kevin, since this post I decided to go 1x10, but if that doesn't work as well as I'm expecting I may go to a 2x10.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks Kevin, since this post I decided to go 1x10, but if that doesn't work as well as I'm expecting I may go to a 2x10.

Good luck. Here's a question for you or anyone else that can help me. Sean said he talked to Lance about my build and that if I want to go 2x10, it would be best to go with a 26-36 up front. That would negate any chain ring interference problems in the future. Here's my dilemma....I have my eye on a Sram TruVativ X9 10 speed crankset that is 26-39. Could I just take the 39t off and replace it with a Race Face 36T chain ring? And does it matter that the RF 36t is 9 speed seeing as I'm going 10 speed.? I haven't had any luck finding a Sram 36t 10 speed yet. I'll be using a Sram x9 RD and X9 FD Sram 11-36 cassette. Ant help would be greatly appreciated. This part of the upcoming build is very critical. I don't want to have any issues.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Kevin. I can't believe that you seem to be the only rider trying to work with one of the new 2x cranks. There has got to be some others out there, but nothing seems to be showing up here or on the 29er thread. Well, I'm in with you, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you end up with. So Sean and Lance recommend replacing a 39T with a 36T only on the new Sram 2x cranks? Did Shimano come up?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    Kevin. I can't believe that you seem to be the only rider trying to work with one of the new 2x cranks. There has got to be some others out there, but nothing seems to be showing up here or on the 29er thread. Well, I'm in with you, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you end up with. So Sean and Lance recommend replacing a 39T with a 36T only on the new Sram 2x cranks? Did Shimano come up?
    The reason they said to step down to a 36t was strictly based on the issue of clearance. But.... I don't think it matters whether it's Shimano or Sram. It has to do with the size of that larger chain ring. I've decided to re-configure my whole front end. I'm now going 32-24. I couldn't find any crank sets in 2x that matched this configuration, so I found a brand new complete Shimano XT FC-M770 with BB crankset with 42-32-24 rings. So I'll remove the large ring and replace it with a bash guard. I'll still use Sram X9 for the rest of the drivetrain.

My 3x9 set-up is 42-32-24 now, and I really like the 32t ring, and the 24t is there for when I need it. For riding here in GA, it really works for me. Hopefully I've got this part figured out. Everything else that I've decided to use for this build is fine. Now I'm just waiting for the new frames to come out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971 View Post
    While I agree with everyone else here that the YS is not a race bike and will hardly become one by tweaking the headtube angle, an angleset will fit the 44/49 tapered headtube.

I have put an angleset on mine to steepen it 1 degree. I use this bike primarily on technical trails in the Northeastern US and while I loved the handling downhill at 68 degree HTA, it proved a little much for most of the bursty, technical climbs. My other trail bike is a Banshee Spitfire, and I wanted the Yelli to handle a bit sharper.

Not wanting to give up 120mm of travel up front I used an Angleset to bring the HTA to 69 degrees (-1 degree cups) and am very happy with the handling. Didn't give up much on the downs but certainly tightened up the slow-speed handling manners.

Thanks for posting up about this. I intend to use my YS for slow technical stuff. I'm a bit worried that the HTA might make it too sloppy. Nice to know this is an option.

Have you posted a pic of your whole bike? If not, I'd love to see one if you get the time...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast