Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!..Updated with final pics

With the new tires sizes coming out for the new year, I decided to play around with my N9 build. Picked up a set of WTB Trail Blazer 2.8" tires and put them on my Blunt SL rims. Not the ideal set up but gave me a good idea where this would take the bike with the proper 50/51mm rim. It has really changed how the bike flows and reduces the rear end bounce when hitting the ruff sections. I will definitely be getting the wider rim as soon as possible. There is about .25" tire clearance on the driveside chainstay. (the tightest area) This has taken a fun bike already and elevated it to a unreal ride! As built below using a 150mm 27.5 Fox Talas the BB height is 12.25" running 170mm crank arms. Plans are to put a 3.1" tire on front and leave the 2.8" tire on the rear..

Last edited by rsullivan; 11-11-2014 at 05:09 PM.

mtbr member
    That looks great, the bb is higher than I would have thought even with the bigger than normal tyres.

Fat tyres look like the future!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Nice!I wonder if the N9 or YS has more clearance?Would run that tire on my yelli if it fit!

mtbr member
    tell you what. .. I can try it out in my Yelli tonight. ...well as soon as my buddy brings the N9 back from a demo ride. ..lol will post up as soon as possible

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rsullivan View Post
    tell you what. .. I can try it out in my Yelli tonight. ...well as soon as my buddy brings the N9 back from a demo ride. ..lol will post up as soon as possible
    Awesome!Thank you!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I guess your buddy doesn't want to give the N9 back after the demo ride.LOL Can't blame him!

mtbr member
    Yea... he brought it back after a extended night ride!!! Will throw it in today when home from work. His comments on the ride was "it was smooth and fast in the corners...almost too fast!" The larger tires really helped dampen the chatter in the rear which plague most hard tail bikes!!! Looking forward to the 50+mm rims

mtbr member
    Yelli update!!!???

This is what I'm excited about too!!!

mtbr member
    Got a chance to put the 2.8 650b+ wheel in the Yelli... It appears the rear end is the same as the Nimble 9. The seat stays have about 1/2" clearance on both sides and the Chainstays are a little tighter with 3/8" on non drive and 1/4" on drive side. So the plans will be 2.8" in rear and 3.0" in front. Still going to be a fun build to ride!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thank you!That is awesome!Did you get some pics?My yelli is a 2014 so i imagine they are all the same?Time to order some rims!I want a vee 3.2 in the front.I have high hopes that when the fs yelli is available it will have clearance for the 3.2.Thanks again Ryan!

mtbr member
    No sorry no pics.... the fit was almost identical to the N9. My Yelli is also the 2014/15 Transparent Blue... Have fun with your conversion!!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    No sorry no pics.... the fit was almost identical to the N9. My Yelli is also the 2014/15 Transparent Blue... Have fun with your conversion!!!
    Thanks, it will be a blast for sure!Gonna go with some Derby carbons I think.I hope the vee tire is available soon also.You were definitely the leader on the Canfield conversions.Much appreciated and enjoy!

mtbr member
    So just to confirm - the fit of the B+ wheel/tire combo was good to go with ample room on the Yelli - yes?

Even if you went to rims like Duallys or Derby Carbons? Or Hugos? Or not so much with those wider rims?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG View Post
    So just to confirm - the fit of the B+ wheel/tire combo was good to go with ample room on the Yelli - yes?

Even if you went to rims like Duallys or Derby Carbons? Or Hugos? Or not so much with those wider rims?
    I am positive with the 40mm rim it would be fine .... The 50mm rim "might" be a little tigh on the drive side chainstay,

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I've been thinking about doing 27+ or 29+ on my N9 (SS) or YS (1x10) for winter, so this is great news. Has anybody tried a 29+ Knard with sliders on an N9 all the way back for clearance?
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning." ShakyPuddin

mtbr member

I took some measurement on my 2011 Yelli and it looks like the WTB 2.8 would only fit with room if paired with a narrow rim, it would have a poor clearance on 35mm rims and it would not fit at all mounted on 45/50mm rims.

I do not have the tire, i'm basing on what i read on twentynineinches.com reviews and on the measurement I took on my frame.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Wink

I was thinking it would work with the derby or even the nextie.rsullivan seems to confirm this.I wonder if I could clearance the drive side stay just a tad?

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    That looks great, the bb is higher than I would have thought even with the bigger than normal tyres.

Fat tyres look like the future!
    He also has a 150mm fork on there...
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

Chris Bling
    I have a pair of the new WTB 650b+ rims with my name on them as soon as they are available. I am on a new Yelli, so as soon as I have a set built for my bike, I will report back.
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Looks good! I've been thinking about doing this to my gen1 N9, but I'm having a tough time finding a 27.5 suspension with a 1 1/8 steerer. Any ideas?
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Looks good! I've been thinking about doing this to my gen1 N9, but I'm having a tough time finding a 27.5 suspension with a 1 1/8 steerer. Any ideas?
    I think it may be best to focus on using a 29er fork with a wide rim and B+ tire anyway - Just sayin.........not sure B+ will clear all 27.5 forks with much mud/gunk clearance - although I see the original poster is using a 27.5 specific fox (wonder how much room he has in the arch?).

mtbr member
    currently there is a lot of room in the arch but not sure how much when I put the new velocity Dually rims on it... I think they are 49mm wide so should be ok. as far as the travel on the fork.. have ran it in 130mm and 150... prefer 150

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    So radical Ryan!!! We have been talking about this for a while, but you inspired us, we have tires on order and will post up pics of some various set-ups when we get them in stock!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gollub01 View Post
    So radical Ryan!!! We have been talking about this for a while, but you inspired us, we have tires on order and will post up pics of some various set-ups when we get them in stock!
    Thanks Sean!!! Still waiting to hear from Velocity on the Dually rim being available... As you already I am stoked on running Canfield products and always enjoy finding new ways to ride them...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gollub01 View Post
    Sean, looking forward to this!I hope you grab the new vee 3.25 so you can see how much clearance will be needed for the new yelli squishy!LOL And thanks again Ryan for leading the way on this!

mtbr member
    Thanks Sean!!! Still waiting to hear from Velocity on the Dually rim being available... As you already I am stoked on running Canfield products and always enjoy finding new ways to ride them...
    Pretty sure the Dually rims are available in 650b now - based on an entry in the 27.5 forum by seely

mtbr member
    Yea, saw that after I posted...just too lazy to correct..lol

mtbr member
    When you get them mounted it would be great if you could post dimensions of carcass width and overall height. I'm working on a similar build. TIA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikenIke View Post
    When you get them mounted it would be great if you could post dimensions of carcass width and overall height. I'm working on a similar build. TIA
    sure can

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

N9 + 2.8" = whole lotta fun

We got the 2.8" TrailBlazers on the N9....Its pretty awesome! Just added a bunch of "cush" to the ride and like Ryan says, it does take a lot of the "hop" out of a hardtail wheel on rough terrain. Check out the clearance! Mounted on our 28mm wide rims (that's what we had on hand).

Canfield Brothers Nimble 9, WTB Trail Blazer 2.8, 27.5 Wheels

mtbr member
    My Dually rims from Velocity are finally here... will pick them up from the shop on Saturday and start swapping them over... Really can't wait to ride it with the tires opened to full size!!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the pics Sean!You guys gonna do a ys also?Like the idea of more cush like Ryan said.Take some of the edge of the chop for my aging body!Lol

mtbr member
    What kind of fork is that on the nimble? I hAve to buy a new fork and want lots of room.

mtbr member
    My Dually rims from Velocity are finally here... will pick them up from the shop on Saturday and start swapping them over... Really can't wait to ride it with the tires opened to full size!!!
    Can't wait to see it, I got my wheel builder on standby hoping the dimensions will fit in my frame. Trying to do the Dually/Trailblazer setup as well.
    I test fitted a 29x2.3 wheel/tire in my rear triangle and had plenty of room.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikenIke View Post
    What kind of fork is that on the nimble? I hAve to buy a new fork and want lots of room.
    On mine it is a 27.5 Fox 34 150mm travel. I think Sean's is a Marzocchi 44 29er...

mtbr member
    thanks I'll measure up some foxes I'm looking for a 100 to 120 mm 29er fork.
    BTW, I laid my Dirt Wiz carcass flat on top of a WTB and they were identicle in width.
    Should have the same profile mounted up then?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Looking forward to pics with the Duallys. If I do this I need to build new wheels and I want to do it on something wide like duallys, scrapers, or hugos. There appears to be plenty of room for a wide rim in Sean's Pics.
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning." ShakyPuddin

mtbr member
    Dually rims are in...now just need the spokes..

mtbr member
    I wonder if there's enough room for the 3.25 Vee Rubber Trax Fatty?
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I wonder if there's enough room for the 3.25 Vee Rubber Trax Fatty?
    not sure on the rear end ... but I am pretty sure it will fit the front. Not sure if I want to try it yet due to cost... It looks to be a good front tire for traction

mtbr member
    Dropped the rims off to a buddy to lace for me overnight. ... working midnight sucks... should have them when I get up.. will measure on the yelli also...

mtbr member
    will measure on the yelli also...
    Let us know, but i measured my yelli and I'm not positive for the 2.8 on 45mm rim...
    I took another way and went for a 29x2.4 on 50mm rim for the rear... 67mm wide and not much room to spare. Still to be tested tho.

mtbr member
    OK....Here we go...

Mounted the 2.8 WTB Trail Blazers to the Velocity Dually 27.5+ rims. Rims measure 39mm inside and 45mm outside. At 20psi they measure out to be 2.7" wide per my calipers. I mounted the wheel into both my 2014 Yelli Screamy and my 2013 Nimble 9... both bikes had about 6mm clearance on the drive side and 8mm on the non drive (@ 20psi). To be honest, if you want wider then you should go with a true fat bike. This appears to be a nice middle ground which will increase traction and reduce the trail chatter prone to hardtails.

Yelli

Nimble 9

Full bike...

Impressions after putting the wider rims is more positive than before... Still playing with the PSI but its looking like I might be able to hit 12PSI in Front and 15PSI in back with a full geared rider weight of 230lbs. Currently with the bike at 20psi it still feels a little too firm in the rear end. Been raining again out my way so may be a few days before I get out on some rooty trails..
    Will possibly buy the VEE Trax 3.25 tire to try on the front. Looks to have a little more traction for the corners...

mtbr member
    OK....Here we go...

Mounted the 2.8 WTB Trail Blazers to the Velocity Dually 27.5+ rims. Rims measure 39mm inside and 45mm outside. At 20psi they measure out to be 2.7" wide per my calipers. I mounted the wheel into both my 2014 Yelli Screamy and my 2013 Nimble 9... both bikes had about 6mm clearance on the drive side and 8mm on the non drive (@ 20psi). To be honest, if you want wider then you should go with a true fat bike. This appears to be a nice middle ground which will increase traction and reduce the trail chatter prone to hardtails.

Yelli

Nimble 9

Full bike...

Impressions after putting the wider rims is more positive than before... Still playing with the PSI but its looking like I might be able to hit 12PSI in Front and 15PSI in back with a full geared rider weight of 230lbs. Currently with the bike at 20psi it still feels a little too firm in the rear end. Been raining again out my way so may be a few days before I get out on some rooty trails..
    Will possibly buy the VEE Trax 3.25 tire to try on the front. Looks to have a little more traction for the corners...
    Awesome!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thank you Ryan!

mtbr member
    There has been a lot of tendency over the years on these boards for folks to not give anything a chance before they even try it. You sir are one of the ones that keep the progression of our sport going on by just plain going for it! Looks like the Yelli and Nimble 9 are perfect platforms for the original concept of b+ and some damn fine bikes to boot.

The ability to run pressures in the 15psi range for me has been as much of a revelation as the drop from 45 (26") to 30 (29") was in 99'.

I will never forget the pic of Lance launching the first long air on a 29"er down in GJ years ago btw.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

mtbr member
    Thanks... I agree with you... It's hard not to enjoy pushing the progression of MTB bikes and different ways to build them up. I feel it portrays a good representation of the person who owns them.

mtbr member
    Ryan - careful on the Vee tire - it may not clear the fork...........

But your awesome for sharing all this information and these great photos with everyone! Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ryan, on the 29 inch forum they could only get the vee tire to work in a dt swiss fork so far.I would think to use this tire atm you would need a lefty or the rs1 as the other options.

mtbr member
    Mxer... good to know before I picked up the tire... Will hold off until any other ones come out... Hopefully get out on it this weekend to check out the current setup

gone walk about
    Thanks... I agree with you... It's hard not to enjoy pushing the progression of MTB bikes and different ways to build them up. I feel it portrays a good representation of the person who owns them.
    I must spread rep before giving it to you again..

I can relate to this as i brainstorm my next 650b+'plump' full squish build however sourcing a frame that accepts a 35mm / 2.8 setup is the hold up so far.

loud hubs save lives

27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!

I wanted a N9 before finding this thread; this upped the ante

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sennaster View Post
    I wanted a N9 before finding this thread; this upped the ante
    what you waiting for ..... whichever way you build it up, you won't regret it. ... it is a fun bike as a 29er, 27.5 or a 27.5+. Just remember if you run a 27.5 wheel you will have to go with at least a 140mm fork. Need to keep up the BB height. Give Sean or Vin a call at Canfield Brothers and they will be glad to hook you up

mtbr member
    what you waiting for ..... whichever way you build it up, you won't regret it. ... it is a fun bike as a 29er, 27.5 or a 27.5+.
    Wouldn't it take a 29+ wheel also, with the dropouts slammed all the way backward?
    did someone ever tried?

mtbr member
    Possibly. .. I thought I read somewhere it didn't bur I have a buddy who has one for his Krampus. Will have to check it out sometime

mtbr member
    Possibly. .. I thought I read somewhere it didn't bur I have a buddy who has one for his Krampus. Will have to check it out sometime
    argh... if it does it will be hard not to add another Canfield to the stable.

humber river advocate
    has anyone tried this combo with a 27.5 150mm pike?
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Ride report on the 650b+ wheel set up... Finally got a REAL ride in on the N9 with 650b+ (Dually rims w/WTB 2.8) Ride filled with roots, frozen smooth and uplifted trail surface. Mixed with mud and leaves.
    Running 15psi- Tires felt a little too firm and bouncy. Lowered the PSI to 10 F/R and the bike feels so much smoother and a lot more traction. For the most part the bike felt like a "FAT" bike while riding.Many of the mid to small roots just seemed to disappear as I rode over them. Now granted this is not a true Fat bike but running these tires/wheels has taken a already killer riding bike and elevated it to a Swiss Army bike great for all purposes.

On a sad note... tried to fit these wheels into my 2015 Balance. They are slightly too tall for the bike. The tire contacted and pressed into the seatstay brace preventing it to turn.

gone walk about
    still can't rep ya but good to read of the successful setup.

Chris Bling
    Ride report on the 650b+ wheel set up... Finally got a REAL ride in on the N9 with 650b+ (Dually rims w/WTB 2.8) Ride filled with roots, frozen smooth and uplifted trail surface. Mixed with mud and leaves.
    Running 15psi- Tires felt a little too firm and bouncy. Lowered the PSI to 10 F/R and the bike feels so much smoother and a lot more traction. For the most part the bike felt like a "FAT" bike while riding.Many of the mid to small roots just seemed to disappear as I rode over them. Now granted this is not a true Fat bike but running these tires/wheels has taken a already killer riding bike and elevated it to a Swiss Army bike great for all purposes.

On a sad note... tried to fit these wheels into my 2015 Balance. They are slightly too tall for the bike. The tire contacted and pressed into the seatstay brace preventing it to turn.
    So would your optimal rim width for this setup (yelli or N9) be a 39mm internal rim like the Dually, or could you get away with a slightly wider rim?

Would you think the Scraper i45 would make the tire too wide?

Have you tried fitting this tire/rim combo on any other 29er bikes?

Thanks in advance my friend. I am hoping that this is something that more than just Canfield owners can appreciate. I know I will have a set going on my Yelli once they show up.
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    I would think the Dually rim is as wide in the rear as I would go. Might be able to go wider but it was not a cost I wanted to go with. Will probably try the Vee 3.25 tire for the front for traction but might wait for other options to be released first.
    As far as other 29ers... I don't have any available to try... but there is a thread running in the 27.5/650B forum on this subject
    http://forums.mtbr.com/27-5-650b/650b-tires-931412.html

mtbr member

Did you try to mount a narrower tire on the wider rim and fit that? That should work and still have some low pressure benefit. Worth a try.

mtbr member
    Bigwheel..... Not yet. Did not want to dismount the tire since they are set up tubeless... Will have to wait on different rims to come in for the Balance. Might just go with 35mm rims and call it a day... That bike already has gobs of traction due to the linkage design...

mtbr member
    So anyone care to explain why a 45 or 50mm wheels is better than a 35mm wide rim? I'm really considering this on my nimble but am leaning towards 35mm for use on other future 650b builds. Thanks

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    So anyone care to explain why a 45 or 50mm wheels is better than a 35mm wide rim? I'm really considering this on my nimble but am leaning towards 35mm for use on other future 650b builds. Thanks
    Not necessarily better, but will make for a wider tire footprint but will fit less frames in the current market.
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member

27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    So anyone care to explain why a 45 or 50mm wheels is better than a 35mm wide rim? Thanks
    http://m.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tues...res-Burp-.html

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/ar...m-width-38791/

MTB B'dos
    RSullivan, thanks for a great thread with great info. I wish I had the coin for a new 29+ HT frame, but I don't, so I'm looking for a mod of sorts to get a bit more cush in the rear of a "normal" HT 29er to match the 29+ tyre I'm running upfront. Definitely no room outback for a 29+ on the Monkey or Paradox frames, but this option looks quite viable.

So now the question is, do I order up the 29" Dually45 for the rear to match the one I've got on the front and see if it helps the 2.4" Ardent gain more cush to closer match the 29+, or do I ordered up the 650B Dually45 and one of these new 650B+ tyres and give that a try?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    what you waiting for ..... whichever way you build it up, you won't regret it. ... it is a fun bike as a 29er, 27.5 or a 27.5+. Just remember if you run a 27.5 wheel you will have to go with at least a 140mm fork. Need to keep up the BB height. Give Sean or Vin a call at Canfield Brothers and they will be glad to hook you up
    So I used to run it as a 29" with a 100mm fork... recently went to a 120mm fork. Assuming I went 27.5+, I think I could get away with the BB height on my 120mm fork, right? Being that a 27.5+ tire with the extra 20mm fork should put the bracket at or above where it was before. Or am I wrong?

Just thinking about this lately... would be sweet to be able to change the bike so much by just swapping out the wheels.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    RSullivan, thanks for a great thread with great info. I wish I had the coin for a new 29+ HT frame, but I don't, so I'm looking for a mod of sorts to get a bit more cush in the rear of a "normal" HT 29er to match the 29+ tyre I'm running upfront. Definitely no room outback for a 29+ on the Monkey or Paradox frames, but this option looks quite viable.

So now the question is, do I order up the 29" Dually45 for the rear to match the one I've got on the front and see if it helps the 2.4" Ardent gain more cush to closer match the 29+, or do I ordered up the 650B Dually45 and one of these new 650B+ tyres and give that a try?
    B+... You'll not only get extra width due to the wide rim, you'll gain sidewall height and much needed volume. As well as extra traction and ability for lower PSI.

This coming from someone who ran 2.3-2.4 high volume 29er tires on the back of his 29er's... and is now running a WTB 2.8 on a Blunt 35. You can feel the difference.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Trying to mate a b+rear to a 29+ front may result in too much diameter differential. A 29" dually and a 2.4 would mate up better and the wider rim will help to give some cush and the ability to run lower psi to the setup than on a narrower rim.

MTB B'dos
    I actually wouldn't mind that on my Monkey HTA is too steep for my liking, hence part of the reason to put the 29+ on there. In fact I'd love to also get a 500 A2C rigid fork for it to slack it out closer to my Paradox @ 68*, unfortunately that would also shorten the Reach, which on the XL is already shorter than I like. Thinking along these lines I'm liking the B+ on the rear idea more, well except for the lower BB.

Little FYI for all those looking at using a frame with sliders who haven't thought of this - remember that as you slide them back, the BB will lower

Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel View Post
    Trying to mate a b+rear to a 29+ front may result in too much diameter differential. A 29" dually and a 2.4 would mate up better and the wider rim will help to give some cush and the ability to run lower psi to the setup than on a narrower rim.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel View Post
    Trying to mate a b+rear to a 29+ front may result in too much diameter differential.
    Ah. Yes. Sorry, B+ and 29+ would be quite a mismatch.

Chris Bling
    What is your impression of the heavier wheels on the bike? The Dually's are not light rims by anyone's standards. Or is it so fun that you really don't care that its heavier and harder to pedal uphill?
    Affordable Custom Wheels

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    What is your impression of the heavier wheels on the bike? The Dually's are not light rims by anyone's standards. Or is it so fun that you really don't care that its heavier and harder to pedal uphill?
    here's an antidote for such quandries, own a fat bike and the rest will seem UL in comparison.

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    here's an antidote for such quandries, own a fat bike and the rest will seem UL in comparison.
    I do own a fatbike, and shod with Surly Nate tires, its no speed deamon The flipside is I am on a nice light set of Atomik Carbon-i9 wheels that are fairly zippy I am just curious as to what his thoughts are. I am building up a set of Hadley-Velocity Blunt 35's tonight for the B+ tires, so I will find out soon enough....
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    dustyduke22
    Yes the wheel set up is slightly heavier compared to a normal 29er setup, but I don't mind. The bike is set up for trail use when wanting something different to ride. I really enjoy how the larger volume and low psi have quieted down the rear end thru the rocks and roots. The traction has increased quite a bit for me in my local trail system. I don't ride this bike as my main ride, just when I want to go play on a hardtail that day. I have multiple Canfields set up for the mood I am in for the day...LOL. I do plan on putting a more aggressive tire on the front for a little more corner traction. Probably the Vee tire.

Chris Bling
    dustyduke22
    Yes the wheel set up is slightly heavier compared to a normal 29er setup, but I don't mind. The bike is set up for trail use when wanting something different to ride. I really enjoy how the larger volume and low psi have quieted down the rear end thru the rocks and roots. The traction has increased quite a bit for me in my local trail system. I don't ride this bike as my main ride, just when I want to go play on a hardtail that day. I have multiple Canfields set up for the mood I am in for the day...LOL. I do plan on putting a more aggressive tire on the front for a little more corner traction. Probably the Vee tire.
    That makes sense. I am thinking of running my 27.5+ tire in the back and keeping the standard 29er tire in the front to see how that feels Moto inspired.
    Affordable Custom Wheels

Rocks belong
    dustyduke22
    I agree. And this is also how I view my slack, AM HT (DB Mason with B+ rear)... A great and fun kick around/2nd bike.

Chris Bling
    WTB just sent me a pair of i45 Scraper rims to try out. I should be able to get them built up here in the next little bit. Should be interesting to see if it will clear my Yelli. It will be close, but I think its worth a shot.
    Affordable Custom Wheels

Rocks belong
    Oh man… I am eagerly awaiting the results. If that batboy fits, I'm buying Yelli frame!

Rocks belong
    I'd be happy if it would clear a dualy in the rear… Have you checked the clearance with the numbers I posted in my chart in your other thread?

EDIT: my scraper should be shipping today or Monday… Can't wait!

mtbr member
    WTB just sent me a pair of i45 Scraper rims to try out. I should be able to get them built up here in the next little bit. Should be interesting to see if it will clear my Yelli. It will be close, but I think its worth a shot.
    Any update??

Rocks belong
    Any update??
    Maybe he actually has his rims coming...

Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    EDIT: my scraper should be shipping today or Monday… Can't wait!
    My ship date for my rims keeps slipping. Every time I ask, it gets pushed further out.

mtbr member
    Bummer - are Dually rims readily available? Or are you not psyched about those?

Rocks belong
    Dually's are available... but I'm more pysched about the the WTB's proven TCS tubeless rim profile and extra 6mm in internal width (if I'm gonna go big B+ in the front, might as well be a full B+!). The weight is comparable between the two.

I plan on having two front wheels for my Mason. I currently have a Spank Oozy 295 29er rim with a big, aggressive 2.4" tire. For winter use, I plan on running a WTB Scraper i45 and a 3.0" B+ tire (Panaracer, for example).

In the interim, I have a Vee Trail Taker 2.4 (which is really a 2.5") that I'm going to mount on the Scraper. The 45mm internal width should be enough rim to really square off that Trail Taker and let me have full advantage of the aggressive side knobs (which are way down low on the round side walls).

That is, of course, if my 29er fork will clear a 650b 2.5 tire on a 45mm internal rim! lol

Chris Bling
    Any update??
    I have them in hand. Just been slammed with other wheels to build. I am hoping this weekend.
    Affordable Custom Wheels

Rocks belong
    I have them in hand. Just been slammed with other wheels to build. I am hoping this weekend.
    Would you mind measuring the ERD (including nipple head height) and posting up? I'm seeing conflicting numbers online.

Thanks in advance!

Chris Bling
    Would you mind measuring the ERD (including nipple head height) and posting up? I'm seeing conflicting numbers online.

Thanks in advance!
    For sure man!
    Affordable Custom Wheels

Chris Bling

Thanks in advance!
    The ERD I measured last night was 565. If you ware looking to the top of the nipple you are looking at 569. What other numbers have your been seeing?
    Affordable Custom Wheels

Rocks belong
    Thanks. 565mm seems to be the most consistent of the listed ERD's. Wasn't sure if that was nipple bed diameter, exclusive of the nipple head thickness, or if it was measured with a spoke threaded to the slot in the nipple.

Assuming you measured with spokes threaded to the slot in the nipple?

Chris Bling
    Thanks. 565mm seems to be the most consistent of the listed ERD's. Wasn't sure if that was nipple bed diameter, exclusive of the nipple head thickness, or if it was measured with a spoke threaded to the slot in the nipple.

Assuming you measured with spokes threaded to the slot in the nipple?
    The straight up ERD was from inside of the rim to inside of the rim. When using the nipples slot, it was 4mm longer
    Affordable Custom Wheels

Rocks belong
    Thanks for clarifying, 569 it is!

mtbr member
    Has the original poster successfully fit a Dually rim and tire in back - sorry for the question - this thread has gotten long and I came in again from the last post (which has drifted a bit).

mtbr member
    Has the original poster successfully fit a Dually rim and tire in back - sorry for the question - this thread has gotten long and I came in again from the last post (which has drifted a bit).
    Yes I have. .... doing so has given me the ability to run low psi of 10 rear and 8 front. ... still has plenty of clearance in the rear to run the dropouts all the way forward. The low psi makes for awesome traction on off camber root climbs and really quiets down the trail chatter

mtbr member
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Was there the same amount of room with the Dually/Trailblazer combo on the Yelli as the Nimble - or was it tighter?

Chris Bling
    Was there the same amount of room with the Dually/Trailblazer combo on the Yelli as the Nimble - or was it tighter?
    If you look through the thread, you will see pics of the Yelli and Nimble fitted with Dually-TrailBlazer. There is actually a decent amount of room left with the 2.8's!
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    If you look through the thread, you will see pics of the Yelli and Nimble fitted with Dually-TrailBlazer. There is actually a decent amount of room left with the 2.8's!
    My work blocks photos from him in this thread so I can't see - will re-look when I get home.

We should PM about wheel/tire combinations - I've got some build ideas in my head/in the works.

Cheers,

Mark

mtbr member
    Yes it will fit..... the yelli is equal in spacing as the N9 with the dropouts all the way forward. ..

Chris Bling
    Any update??
    Hey Guys,

Just wanted to give an update on the WTB i45 rims.

They Fit!!!!!!! With room to spare

Pics to come
    Affordable Custom Wheels

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast