Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!..Updated with final pics

With the new tires sizes coming out for the new year, I decided to play around with my N9 build. Picked up a set of WTB Trail Blazer 2.8" tires and put them on my Blunt SL rims. Not the ideal set up but gave me a good idea where this would take the bike with the proper 50/51mm rim. It has really changed how the bike flows and reduces the rear end bounce when hitting the ruff sections. I will definitely be getting the wider rim as soon as possible. There is about .25" tire clearance on the driveside chainstay. (the tightest area) This has taken a fun bike already and elevated it to a unreal ride! As built below using a 150mm 27.5 Fox Talas the BB height is 12.25" running 170mm crank arms. Plans are to put a 3.1" tire on front and leave the 2.8" tire on the rear..

Last edited by rsullivan; 11-11-2014 at 05:09 PM.
    The Official Mid-west Canfield Brothers #1 Fan and Demo fleet !!
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79...psb5c701c1.jpg

mtbr member
    That looks great, the bb is higher than I would have thought even with the bigger than normal tyres.

Fat tyres look like the future!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Nice!I wonder if the N9 or YS has more clearance?Would run that tire on my yelli if it fit!

mtbr member
    tell you what. .. I can try it out in my Yelli tonight. ...well as soon as my buddy brings the N9 back from a demo ride. ..lol will post up as soon as possible

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rsullivan View Post
    tell you what. .. I can try it out in my Yelli tonight. ...well as soon as my buddy brings the N9 back from a demo ride. ..lol will post up as soon as possible
    Awesome!Thank you!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I guess your buddy doesn't want to give the N9 back after the demo ride.LOL Can't blame him!

mtbr member
    Yea... he brought it back after a extended night ride!!! Will throw it in today when home from work. His comments on the ride was "it was smooth and fast in the corners...almost too fast!" The larger tires really helped dampen the chatter in the rear which plague most hard tail bikes!!! Looking forward to the 50+mm rims

mtbr member
    Yelli update!!!???

This is what I'm excited about too!!!

mtbr member
    Got a chance to put the 2.8 650b+ wheel in the Yelli... It appears the rear end is the same as the Nimble 9. The seat stays have about 1/2" clearance on both sides and the Chainstays are a little tighter with 3/8" on non drive and 1/4" on drive side. So the plans will be 2.8" in rear and 3.0" in front. Still going to be a fun build to ride!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thank you!That is awesome!Did you get some pics?My yelli is a 2014 so i imagine they are all the same?Time to order some rims!I want a vee 3.2 in the front.I have high hopes that when the fs yelli is available it will have clearance for the 3.2.Thanks again Ryan!

mtbr member
    No sorry no pics.... the fit was almost identical to the N9. My Yelli is also the 2014/15 Transparent Blue... Have fun with your conversion!!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    No sorry no pics.... the fit was almost identical to the N9. My Yelli is also the 2014/15 Transparent Blue... Have fun with your conversion!!!
    Thanks, it will be a blast for sure!Gonna go with some Derby carbons I think.I hope the vee tire is available soon also.You were definitely the leader on the Canfield conversions.Much appreciated and enjoy!

mtbr member
    So just to confirm - the fit of the B+ wheel/tire combo was good to go with ample room on the Yelli - yes?

Even if you went to rims like Duallys or Derby Carbons? Or Hugos? Or not so much with those wider rims?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG View Post
    So just to confirm - the fit of the B+ wheel/tire combo was good to go with ample room on the Yelli - yes?

Even if you went to rims like Duallys or Derby Carbons? Or Hugos? Or not so much with those wider rims?
    I am positive with the 40mm rim it would be fine .... The 50mm rim "might" be a little tigh on the drive side chainstay,

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I've been thinking about doing 27+ or 29+ on my N9 (SS) or YS (1x10) for winter, so this is great news. Has anybody tried a 29+ Knard with sliders on an N9 all the way back for clearance?
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning." ShakyPuddin

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

I took some measurement on my 2011 Yelli and it looks like the WTB 2.8 would only fit with room if paired with a narrow rim, it would have a poor clearance on 35mm rims and it would not fit at all mounted on 45/50mm rims.

I do not have the tire, i'm basing on what i read on twentynineinches.com reviews and on the measurement I took on my frame.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Wink

I was thinking it would work with the derby or even the nextie.rsullivan seems to confirm this.I wonder if I could clearance the drive side stay just a tad?

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    That looks great, the bb is higher than I would have thought even with the bigger than normal tyres.

Fat tyres look like the future!
    He also has a 150mm fork on there...
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

Chris Bling
    I have a pair of the new WTB 650b+ rims with my name on them as soon as they are available. I am on a new Yelli, so as soon as I have a set built for my bike, I will report back.
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Looks good! I've been thinking about doing this to my gen1 N9, but I'm having a tough time finding a 27.5 suspension with a 1 1/8 steerer. Any ideas?
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Looks good! I've been thinking about doing this to my gen1 N9, but I'm having a tough time finding a 27.5 suspension with a 1 1/8 steerer. Any ideas?
    I think it may be best to focus on using a 29er fork with a wide rim and B+ tire anyway - Just sayin.........not sure B+ will clear all 27.5 forks with much mud/gunk clearance - although I see the original poster is using a 27.5 specific fox (wonder how much room he has in the arch?).

mtbr member
    currently there is a lot of room in the arch but not sure how much when I put the new velocity Dually rims on it... I think they are 49mm wide so should be ok. as far as the travel on the fork.. have ran it in 130mm and 150... prefer 150

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    So radical Ryan!!! We have been talking about this for a while, but you inspired us, we have tires on order and will post up pics of some various set-ups when we get them in stock!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gollub01 View Post
    So radical Ryan!!! We have been talking about this for a while, but you inspired us, we have tires on order and will post up pics of some various set-ups when we get them in stock!
    Thanks Sean!!! Still waiting to hear from Velocity on the Dually rim being available... As you already I am stoked on running Canfield products and always enjoy finding new ways to ride them...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gollub01 View Post
    Sean, looking forward to this!I hope you grab the new vee 3.25 so you can see how much clearance will be needed for the new yelli squishy!LOL And thanks again Ryan for leading the way on this!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast