Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
    Any chance you can throw a set of calipers over that and give us an actual measurement for that combo? I've got the WTB 2.8 mounted on a 30mm id rim and don't have much room to spare, but the 2.8's really measure closer to 2.6" Just curious if the Schwalbe's are over/under/etc. Thanks.
    I don't have access to my bikes right now, but as soon as I do I'll try and take a measurement for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by xpeppyx View Post
    I've got the 2.8 Nobby Nic on Scraper i45 in the rear of my Yelli and honestly there is no way the 3.0 would fit. I have the 3.0 on the front and I highly doubt that 10mm will be enough to make a difference. The 3.0 is def. a good bit larger than the 2.8. I love the Nobby Nics though. They are a million times better than the WTB TB that only lasted 2 rides.
    What fork are you using? Pulled my 27.5+ build off my Yelli and put it on an Advocacy Hayduke. Using my Scraper rims, but switched from the Trailblazer to WTB's Bridger and they're too tight. My options now are buying a boost hub/fork or a narrower tire. The Scraper/Trailblazer has lots of room in my MRP Stage fork, the Bridger almost touches.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Fox 34 140mm 29. I think it's a 2014. It's close, but has enough clearance with the old Trail Boss 3.0 and the NN 3.0 on there currently.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks xpeppyx! Nice ride.

Live Free & Ride
    Subscribed...looking for measurements.
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Anyone have any luck fitting a Nobby Nic or Rocket Ron 2.8 in the rear of a Nimble 9?

Would anyone who built up a set of WTB Asym i35 wheels with plus size tires post some pictures please?

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by foxmango View Post
    Anyone have any luck fitting a Nobby Nic or Rocket Ron 2.8 in the rear of a Nimble 9?

Would anyone who built up a set of WTB Asym i35 wheels with plus size tires post some pictures please?
    I ordered up 5 sets this week, so I think that I am going to keep one for myself! I should have some i36 wheels done here soon. i will mount and take pics with the NN 2.8's and the Breakout 2.5's to see how they compare. Should be a party
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    @foxmango I have a friend happily running 2.8 Nic on i35 in the back of a gen 1 N9.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ghetto View Post
    @foxmango I have a friend happily running 2.8 Nic on i35 in the back of a gen 1 N9.
    Thank you sir! Any chance you can request a pic from your friend then post it? I need that little nudge to finally pull the trigger and order the tires. The pic is that little nudge.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    I ordered up 5 sets this week, so I think that I am going to keep one for myself! I should have some i36 wheels done here soon. i will mount and take pics with the NN 2.8's and the Breakout 2.5's to see how they compare. Should be a party
    Add me to the list. I ordered some 2.8 NN's the other day to go on my asym i35's. Throwing these on my '16 frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Dustyduke, thank you!

Can't wait for the pics.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!

I finally got my WTB ASYM i35 wheels and Break Out 2.5 tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

squish, squish in da fish
    how much clearance on the cs? looks tight, as in 2-2.5mm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    how much clearance on the cs? looks tight, as in 2-2.5mm.
    I will need to take a picture using a ruler to show actual clearance. I will do this tonight. I do think there is at least 5 mm of clearance on other side.

just curious, no need to go through the trouble unless you feel it's necessary.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    just curious, no need to go through the trouble unless you feel it's necessary.
    To help anyone else on the fence who might want to add larger tires I don't mind doing this at all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Pics of chain stay clearance.

oh nice! that's 9.5mm far from what i was thinking in the other pics.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Anyone take any pics with 2.8 Nobby Nics yet?

Chris Bling
    Anyone take any pics with 2.8 Nobby Nics yet?
    I have a set mounted up right now. I'll have to snap some garage pics tonight
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks Dusty!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Dusty, have you had a chance to take some pics?

Chris Bling
    Dusty, have you had a chance to take some pics?

Hey Fox,

I have been getting home after dark lately, so any chance to take a decent pic is not working. I got the Nobby Nic 2.8s mounted up on the Atomik i36 rims last night and did a test run round the neighborhood. Hot dang!

Plenty of clearance even with the stays slammed. Hopefully when I get home tonight there is enough light to take a shot.

The bike looks super mean with the fat knobby rubber on there. Can't wait for a chance to get it on the dirt!!
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Hey Fox,

I have been getting home after dark lately, so any chance to take a decent pic is not working. I got the Nobby Nic 2.8s mounted up on the Atomik i36 rims last night and did a test run round the neighborhood. Hot dang!

Plenty of clearance even with the stays slammed. Hopefully when I get home tonight there is enough light to take a shot.

The bike looks super mean with the fat knobby rubber on there. Can't wait for a chance to get it on the dirt!!
    Dusty - Thank you for the update. I can't wait to see your build! I have been creeping your Instagram waiting for the pictures. As a guy who has more than a few really nice bikes, I can't wait to hear your review of this bike with the Nobby Nics. In addition, I'd like to hear your opinion of those tires vs. the WTB Breakout 2.5's.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Just finished up the conversion on my 2012 gen 1 N9, and I love it. Did it along with a bunch of other long overdue upgrades (xt brakes, X1 1x11 setup, 740mm bars). Feels like I've fallen in love with the N9 all over again.

This was my first time building my own wheels, it was a cool experience. Laced up purple Hope Pro 2 EVO hubs to WTB Asym i35 rims with DT Swiss spokes and purple alloy nips. wrapped them in 2.8 nobby nics. love the setup and was dead easy to build.

There's gobs of clearance in the rear. But I'm a little nervous about the clearance in the Manitou Tower Pros... its only a couple mm on each side. It's no problem while aggressively riding around the block, but we'll see how it is in real mtb conditions. Anyone have any suggestions for a fork that would provide more clearance? Need 120-140mm travel, 15x100mm axle, and 1 1/8 steerer... doesn't seem to be many options out there!

27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-thumb_img_0099_1024.jpg27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-thumb_img_0091_1024.jpg27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-thumb_img_0093_1024.jpg27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-thumb_img_0094_1024.jpg27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-thumb_img_0098_1024.jpg27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-thumb_img_0095_1024.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice job, bike looks great!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

n9

Initially questioned myself in getting the N9 given the fact that I didnt really need it, but I have a big soft spot for steel hardtails - nice ones too. Instead of obsessing non stop about owning one, I called Sean up and got myself one of the remaining medium blues...

Here she is.

WTB scrapers / I9 hubs w/ front hub Boost adapters (Ground Control-front || WTB Breakouts-rear)
    Fox Float 34 Boost
    RF Turbine Dropper 150mm drop (the best out there right now)
    Canfield Bros crankset 155mm
    27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-20160426_115941.jpg
    27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-20160426_115859.jpg
    27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-20160426_115917.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gma View Post
    I was able to fit the Stans Hugos with WTB Trailblazers. I had to slightly dimple the drive side - about 4mm. That allowed the wheel to move 2mm away from the non-drive side and leave 2mm on the drive side. It looks great - like it was made this way, and the chrome finish didn't even crack (which was my biggest worry honestly). After a few hard days riding - even in some wet conditions - I haven't had any gumming up or rubbing. Plus with that super-fat tire, I've run pressures as low as 13, though 15 has become my "regular" pressure. So this combination doesn't work out of the box, but it can be made to work if you're bold (*cough*cough*have balls*cough*) enough to experiment.
    got pics of this setup? what frame is this?
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    What's the weight of your current setup?
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy 3

mtbr member

A Word of Warning

FYI - I recently built up a wheelset with WTB Scrapers and tried to mash them into my gen1 Nimble....it did not go well. I was using a 2.8 Nobby Nic. This ended up being bigger than I expected. Using the sliding dropouts, I managed to align the wheel so it would spin without rubbing...that is, until I actually road it down the street. Whenever the frame flexed in a corner, the wheel would rub (bike was fun to ride though!). I felt like a complete idiot, I'm sure the 35s would have been fine.

After a few shameful days, I decided to update my frame to the latest version. This should have more clearance and be stiffer. As well as give me more option to run decent droppers or forks. Looking forward to getting it built up.

My main conundrum is around the Scrapers. They should be fine, right? I'm semi-considering getting narrower rims and selling off the scrapers before I ding them up. Thoughts on this?

Anyway, here are some pics.
    27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-img_7527.jpg

27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-img_7528.jpg

Canfield Brothers
    I was on Scrapers, had both Trail blazers and Nobby Nics. The Trailblazer bairly fit, not well though and the Nobby Nic was too tight. I have Atomic 36I carbon rims now, the added stiffness is noticeable, really helps with wheel flex and the 36I is just narrow enough to make it fit. Your rim must still be straight, its only a few mm each side of clearance. My experience, it's not without it's issues but it sure is fun with all the extra grip and smoothness.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Can you throw a set of calipers over the Nobby Nic and let us know how wide it was on the Scraper rim? I've also got a Gen1 N9, but I'm using Easton Arc30 rims (30mm id) and have been eyeing those tires. The Trailblazer works pretty well for me right now with about 1/4" clearance at the stays.

MTB B'dos
    Scrapers are just too wide for 2.8" tyres, IMHO, casing bulges out wider than tread, a 35mm internal width rim is about perfect. My Nobby Nics on WTB Asym i35s measure true to size at riding pressures, 70mm/2.75" casing, knobs 71mm.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Perfect, thanks.

mtbr member
    to those who had experience using 27.5+ on their canfields, would you ever to back to a 29er?
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

MTB B'dos
    Don't own a Canfield, but do own a Paradox HT and would never go back to a normal rear tyre on it for sure, 650B+ all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    to those who had experience using 27.5+ on their canfields, would you ever to back to a 29er?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    No one wants to buy my small Nimble 9, so I guess I'm just going to have try out the 27.5 plus deal. Anyone tried using a front derailleur with the WTB Trailblazer 2.8 in the rear? The Trailblazer is mounted to a WTB Asym i29 wheel.

Thoughts?

MTB B'dos
    As I've said befor ein this thread, own a Paradox and running an FD, even with a B+ tyre as small as the trailblazer, you're more than likely going to get some chain on tyre rub. My suggestion if you want to run a 2x setup, just downshift with your hell and take the time to pull it backup with your hand. For me the granny is just a bailout gear really on what I normally ride on the Paradox, no trouble to stop and put it back up at the top of a climb. Just tried a new Shimano side swing FD and that was a buzz with 2.8" Nobby Nic, most likely wouldn't buzzz with the Trailblazer, but any mud and it'll be going on the chain from tyre.

Quote Originally Posted by iLike29er View Post
    No one wants to buy my small Nimble 9, so I guess I'm just going to have try out the 27.5 plus deal. Anyone tried using a front derailleur with the WTB Trailblazer 2.8 in the rear? The Trailblazer is mounted to a WTB Asym i29 wheel.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    I have 2 wheelsets for my EPO, and I go back and forth depending what trails I'm riding. It's fun and changes the personality of the bike. The plus tires are grippy as heck, and add some nice squish for the gnarlier trails, but the 29ers are awesome on more flowy trails. My 29er wheelset/tires are lighter, so they make the bike feel like a rocket after running the wider plus wheelset/tires.

my friend runs the tb 2.8 out back with a FD, so far so good, but that tire has pretty good clearance with 30ID rims on the EPO. Anything more aggressive would probably cause issues.

and nice N9s by the way! Still want one of those too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock503 View Post
    I have 2 wheelsets for my EPO, and I go back and forth depending what trails I'm riding. It's fun and changes the personality of the bike. The plus tires are grippy as heck, and add some nice squish for the gnarlier trails, but the 29ers are awesome on more flowy trails. My 29er wheelset/tires are lighter, so they make the bike feel like a rocket after running the wider plus wheelset/tires.

my friend runs the tb 2.8 out back with a FD, so far so good, but that tire has pretty good clearance with 30ID rims on the EPO. Anything more aggressive would probably cause issues.

and nice N9s by the way! Still want one of those too.

Erock503, just to clarify, is the front derailleur on your friend's bike an EPO or a N9 frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iLike29er View Post
    Erock503, just to clarify, is the front derailleur on your friend's bike an EPO or a N9 frame?
    Sorry for the confusion, I shouldn't have posted that in the N9 thread, it's an EPO.

mtbr member
    Anybody running a narrow than 35mm internal rims on the nimble? Thinking of building another set of nox wheels and considering the teo as a dual purpose wheel... Race sometimes other times 650b+

Thanks

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    Anybody running a narrow than 35mm internal rims on the nimble? Thinking of building another set of nox wheels and considering the teo as a dual purpose wheel... Race sometimes other times 650b+

Thanks
    Teo with an i26? Not much support for the bigger tires. I like i30, but not any lower than that

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Guess I'll go with the farlow. Thanks for the insights.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Finally picked up a 2.8 Nobby Nic for my Gen1 N9. Mounted on an Easton Arc30 (30id) and it fits like a glove in the frame regardless of dropout position. First ride was last night and compared to the Trailblazer that came off, it's not even a fair comparison.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hey quick question, did you use a Pike 27.5 140 or a 29er 120?

Thanks,
    Jason

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

My Nimble 9 (27.5)

While some would argue that it's not a 'real' 27.5+, I humbly present my Nimble Nine running on WTB Breakout 2.5's and a bunch of other parts pulled from my other bikes.

Frame/Fork/Headset:
    • 2016 Canfield Nimble Nine, M, Sparkle Blue
    • MRP Stage 27.5, 150mm
    • Cane Creek 40 Series

Cockpit:
    • Race Face Turbine 3/4 Riser Bar
    • Chromag HiFi 50mm Stem
    • Race Face Strafe Grips

Drivetrain:
    • Saint Shifter & Rear Derailluer
    • Race Face Respond 165mm Crankset
    • Race Face NW 32T Chainring
    • Crank Brothers Candy 1 Pedals
    • Race Face DH Bottom Bracket
    • SRAM PC-1091 Chain

Brakes:
    • Avid SD 2.0L Levers
    • JagWire Mountain Pro Brake Cable/Housing
    • Avid BB7 Mountain Mechanical Disc Calipers
    • Shimano M875 180mm Ice Tech Rotors

Saddle/Seatpost:
    • Selle Italia TransAm
    • FSA K-Force Light

Wheels/Tires:
    • WTB Breakout 2.5 Tough/Fast
    • Industry Nine Torch Trail (i23.4)

Clean
    27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-image.jpg
    Dirty
    27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-img_20160814_105749.jpg
    Front/Angle
    27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-img_20160814_105837.jpg
    The Best Logo
    27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-img_20160814_110646.jpg
    Angle Closeup
    27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-img_20160814_105905.jpg
    Clean 2
    27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-img_20160814_094040.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Should have my b+ setup done this week- 2016 Nimble 9 with asym I35 rims and 2.8 dhf/dhr. I'll get pics when assembled.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Should have went fatter....

Captain Climber
    I've got a 2014 29" N9 and wanted to try it both 27.5 and 27.5+. Is there a wheelset I can get that will accommodate both a 2.4 and 2.8 tire? Or is this so similar of a tire size it is useless to compare? I have 2.4s on my 29" wheels now and just wanted to see if I prefer 29, 27.5 or 27.5+. I have a 29+ Trek Stache and prefer the 29 N9 to it.

MTB B'dos
    You're going to smack the crap out of your pedals if you go 650B, seriously, either go B+ or stick to 29" and YES, waste of time trying 650B normal on the Nimble, IMHO, B+ is really where it's at. As to rims, I'd go for some 35mm IW and if for some reason your thoughts persist, you could also run 2.4" wide tyres on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    I've got a 2014 29" N9 and wanted to try it both 27.5 and 27.5+. Is there a wheelset I can get that will accommodate both a 2.4 and 2.8 tire? Or is this so similar of a tire size it is useless to compare? I have 2.4s on my 29" wheels now and just wanted to see if I prefer 29, 27.5 or 27.5+. I have a 29+ Trek Stache and prefer the 29 N9 to it.

mtbr member
    29 to 35mm internal width will do both plus and regular just fine but I agree with lynx. The bb drop is too much for the nimble 9. Unless you are on groomed trails.. But when I went plus I went nox wheels so I have a very nice set of 750b wheels for future builds

Captain Climber
    29 to 35mm internal width will do both plus and regular just fine but I agree with lynx. The bb drop is too much for the nimble 9. Unless you are on groomed trails.. But when I went plus I went nox wheels so I have a very nice set of 750b wheels for future builds

Are you saying both 27.5 and 27.5+ is too much of a BB drop or just 27.5 like LyNx said?

Chris Bling
    Are you saying both 27.5 and 27.5+ is too much of a BB drop or just 27.5 like LyNx said?
    27.5+ drops the BB about .5". A 27.5 tire you are probably looking at at least 1 inch if not more. Pretty dang low

Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    27.5 it's too low. Plus works great. Totally changes the handling of the bike. It wants you to throttle it!

Captain Climber
    27.5+ drops the BB about .5". A 27.5 tire you are probably looking at at least 1 inch if not more. Pretty dang low

27.5 it's too low. Plus works great. Totally changes the handling of the bike. It wants you to throttle it!

I think I'll do the +

I know this thread is old and I didn't read the whole thing. What is recommended wheels and tires for the N9?

mtbr member
    I think I'll do the +

I know this thread is old and I didn't read the whole thing. What is recommended wheels and tires for the N9?
    I really liked the maxxis rekon in the rear.

Ran Nox wheels. LOVE the stiffness

Captain Climber
    I really liked the maxxis rekon in the rear.

Ran Nox wheels. LOVE the stiffness

If I knew I'd love it I might spend that much but those Nox are expensive. I know Dusty loves NOBL which is also expensive. Any decent wheelsets out there for around $500 or less? I got my Stan's/Hope Pro 2 29" wheelset for that price and am happy with it. When I ever find a bike config I know I will stick with I will probably get some really nice wheels.

mtbr member
    The wtb asym is a nice strong wide wheelset that I have a few friends riding. I'm a carbon elitist. Haha

Run 155 cranks if really want to run 650b. Then there's gunna be the debate of then you need more post for proper leg extension. You'll gain about 3/4" if going to 155's, assuming you have 175's

MTB B'dos
    Lazy Since I've some time on my hands, and feeling nice, I'll say a set of WTB Asym i35s laced to the hubs of your choice, or if you really are on a budget the Easton ARC+ from CRC. Not much cheaper and you loose the asym feature which really does help a lot with spoke tension and wheel strength.

I think I'll do the + I know this thread is old and I didn't read the whole thing. What is recommended wheels and tires for the N9?

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Lazy Since I've some time on my hands, and feeling nice, I'll say a set of WTB Asym i35s laced to the hubs of your choice, or if you really are on a budget the Easton ARC+ from CRC. Not much cheaper and you loose the asym feature which really does help a lot with spoke tension and wheel strength.
    Thanks LyNx... these are hard to find in 15mm front and 12x142 rear prebuilt but I think I found a set for under $300.

Captain Climber

Thanks LyNx... these are hard to find in 15mm front and 12x142 rear prebuilt but I think I found a set for under $300.
    Found and ordered a set of WTB Asym i35s with SRAM x9 hubs for about $290 shipped. Not the best hub but it should be good enough. Now I am going to research tires and get a set ordered along with a Tubeless setup.

If I like this setup I am going to have to figure out what are the biggest 29" tires I can get on this bike for a different comparison.

MTB B'dos
    That's a good deal on the wheels, hubs should last you at least a season or two if you keep an eye on them, maybe more, depending on how agro you ride.

IMHO, the Maxxis Rekon+ 3C MaxxTerra is an awesome tyre, rolls really good, but also has some very good grip - I'm a Maxxis guy though and I like mossy, wet rocks and roots so maybe take that into account.
    Found and ordered a set of WTB Asym i35s with SRAM x9 hubs for about $290 shipped. Not the best hub but it should be good enough. Now I am going to research tires and get a set ordered along with a Tubeless setup.

If I like this setup I am going to have to figure out what are the biggest 29" tires I can get on this bike for a different comparison.

Captain Climber
    Thanks LyNx. I'll check those out.

Captain Climber
    What rim tape do you use on i35 rims?

MTB B'dos
    40mm tape if they're the WTB Asyms, with the funky and deep channel, it's 'sposed to go the edge of the walls (or slightly up). Just take your time and really work it down into the channel properly (use a cloth to press/rub it in) and make sue you stretch it good/tight when doing it, then I punch the valve hole with a hot nail/screw driver etc. I also always like to then install a tyre with tube to 40 PSI and let sit at least overnight to help really set the tape.

What rim tape do you use on i35 rims?

Captain Climber
    Thanks LyNx!

mtbr member
    Built this up today. Single speed rigid with 2.8s. Should be able to wring it out tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-img_4086.jpg  

Captain Climber
    Wow! I finally got my wheels and tires in... WTB i35 on SRAM x9 hubs and Racing Ralph 2.8s. An arsehole in another thread made a negative comment towards the wheelset I got so I was worried I wouldn't like it but I am impressed with it. It is a bit heavy but I honestly don't notice when on the bike. The bike looks smaller when I am off of it but it doesn't feel smaller. My wife has a Stache 7 29+ and it seems heavy and harder to pedal so I was expecting the same with this B+ setup but it is not sluggish at all. It seems to accelerate faster than my lighter 2.4 29" Racing Ralph setup and carries speed very well.

I was expecting it to not roll over roots as well as the 29 but it seems to roll over it better. It floats over the sandy areas that I had trouble with before. It is much more comfortable to ride. I honestly didn't think the tires looked that much wider than my 29 setup so I wasn't expecting much of a difference until I rode it. It feels like I have rear suspension. I am totally blown away with this setup. The only negative is there is not much space for the tires but as long as it is not rubbing I don't care

Growing up in the 80s I thought I wouldn't like the black and white x9 hubs compared to my blue Hopes but the color works very well with the chrome N9 and black Rockshox Reba. The gray-ish silver lettering of the Racing Ralphs and the WTB compliment each other well. Before I totally committed to this and go tubless I got the Schwalbe tubes and they are really nice and have a matching gray-ish silver valve stem. I honestly like this look better. I'll get some pics and post.

Here is the wheelset I got:
    WTB Frequency I35 TCS 650B 27.5 Wheelset 15mm Front 12x142 Rear [740981] - $269.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike

What makes it so heavy? The hub? Right now I am not complaining because it doesn't feel heavy when riding and the front wheel still comes up very easily. It pedals and accelerates fast too and it is the best sounding rear hub I have ever heard

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ROFF View Post
    Built this up today. Single speed rigid with 2.8s. Should be able to wring it out tomorrow.
    Looks familiar...
    Enjoy it, man!

Captain Climber
    Got another 20 miles on it since my last post and still love it. I'm not having any issues with BB height. I noticed that it is much more nimble than it was as a 29er. I can really get around corners with this setup. Compared to our 29+ the B+ has all the advantages of traction and comfort but without the weight and sluggishness. I notice that my B+ setup doesn't feel bouncy like the 29+ does in some situations.
    27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-img_0319.jpg
    27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-img_0321.jpg

MTB B'dos
    Sounds good, figured you'd like it when you were asking about giving it a go As to feeling less bouncy, it would, you have on 2.8" while the 29+ setup is 3.0", which is actually a lot of difference volume wise. As to the spin up compared to your 29er setup, that's because the B+ measures out to only about 28.5" tall compared to your 29er at about 29.25", so quite a bit of difference in circumference - I also never felt any difference in spin up when I tried it on both my rigid and HT, found the same as you, spins up maybe just a bit faster. Agree whole heartidly about never going back to a "normal" width tyre for a rigid rear bike, PLUS just makes it so much nicer.

Bike looks sweet BTW and when you finally admit to yourself that the 29er wheels will never grace this bike again, then start your next project of stripping them down to lace the blue Hope hubs into these wheels

Got another 20 miles on it since my last post and still love it. I'm not having any issues with BB height. I noticed that it is much more nimble than it was as a 29er. I can really get around corners with this setup. Compared to our 29+ the B+ has all the advantages of traction and comfort but without the weight and sluggishness. I notice that my B+ setup doesn't feel bouncy like the 29+ does in some situations.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0319.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	207.8 KB 
ID:	1134606

Captain Climber
    Yeah, you are right LyNx... I don't see any need to go back to 29 so those Hopes will be reused Maybe on some lighter rims.

Captain Climber
    Just curious... I don't see much in this thread these days and I know it was started a couple of years ago. Do all the original posters still have their N9s and are they still 27+?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I sold mine to ROFF, and replaced it with a Titus Fireline EVO (titanium frame, w/similar geo).

MTB B'dos
    Ha, great idea, get some light carbon rims to lace up to the Hopes

Yeah, you are right LyNx... I don't see any need to go back to 29 so those Hopes will be reused Maybe on some lighter rims.

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by carbine_275 View Post
    I sold mine to ROFF, and replaced it with a Titus Fireline EVO (titanium frame, w/similar geo).
    How does it compare to the N9?

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Ha, great idea, get some light carbon rims to lace up to the Hopes
    I like that plan

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    How does it compare to the N9?
    I'll let you know once I've had it out on the trails. We have a week of mostly rain in my area, so it could be a week before the trails are in riding condition.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123