Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Hurry on up with those pics!

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG View Post
    Hurry on up with those pics!
    Your wish is my command.

I can't believe how big the rim/tire combo is. I included one of the build pics before I mounted them up to try and let you guys see how massive these tires/rims are. I thought they looked big with the Dually/TrailBlazers on there, but DANG!

As far as clearance, I tried to get a pic of the dropouts so you can get an idea of what there is. There is a solid 4-5mm on each side. I have not measured it yet to be exact, but plenty of room.

I took it out for a spin on the local trails and had no chainstay rub, but was running a little too low of pressure in the back ~10psi or so. I dinged a rock and snake bit the tire! I had to stop and help the sealant seal up the holes, and put a little more pressure in there. For me, 10 psi is too low for rowdy rocky trails. I am thinking 12-13 will be a sweet spot for me.

On a good note, the rim showed no sign of impact (luckily)!

Here are the pics

27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-hubsessed-cycle-works-scraper-i45-canfield-yelli-screamy-wheelset.jpg

27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-hubsessed-cycle-works-scraper-i45-canfield-yelli-screamy-bike-2.jpg

27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-hubsessed-cycle-works-scraper-i45-canfield-yelli-screamy-bike.jpg

27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-hubsessed-cycle-works-scraper-i45-canfield-yelli-screamy-non-drive.jpg

27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-hubsessed-cycle-works-scraper-i45-canfield-yelli-screamy.jpg
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    That's pretty cool - but pretty close to the chainstays - what if you get muddy conditions? But holy moly those tires fill out on those rims!!!

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG View Post
    That's pretty cool - but pretty close to the chainstays - what if you get muddy conditions? But holy moly those tires fill out on those rims!!!
    If the trails are sticky muddy, it wont matter how much clearance you have on your chainstays! Luckily, Northern Utah dirt doesn't have too much clay. Plus, if the trails are that muddy, I will be staying off them.

The pics make the clearance look less than it actually is. My bad
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    yeah pics can often be tricky to convey the actual room - looks like gobs of room at the fork arch!!! Good on ya!!!

mtbr member
    Nice....... I am really liking the feel of the larger volume wheel combo..... what was your thoughts on how it rode....

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by rsullivan View Post
    Nice....... I am really liking the feel of the larger volume wheel combo..... what was your thoughts on how it rode....
    I was pretty surprised with how it rode both up and down the hill to be honest. I was coming off some nice, light carbon wheels that really helped the bike zip up the climbs. I really didn't notice that big of a difference to be honest with the B+ option. These B+ wheels weight close to 400 grams more than my other wheels, but I really wasn't thinking about weight on the climbs. I was thinking about how cool it was that I didn't even feel that rock I just ran over, or how it felt so nice coming down the chunky stuff with some forgiveness from the tires!! The longer I rode the bike, the more stoked I was to ride it again. Play with tire pressures, see how it reacts in different riding conditions, etc. Overall, it left me wanting more.

Like you, this is not my only bike. I do think that these wheels/tires will be staying with the Yelli for the long haul. It opens up the doors for some additional possibilities that will make this bike even more capable. Bikepacking, adventure riding, etc. And the extra inch or 2 of "travel" is a welcome gift!
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Nice Dusty!
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

mtbr member
    Awesome!!!! glad the conversion was a positive experience!! Mine will be staying on the N9, I doubt I will take off the standard 29er wheels on the Yelli(being that is a loaner/Demo biike) also used for faster XC rides. One thing I am toying with is a more aggressive front tire for a little more traction for the trails out my way. Either way it is a fun ride and it will see more trail time in days to come...

Chris Bling
    Awesome!!!! glad the conversion was a positive experience!! Mine will be staying on the N9, I doubt I will take off the standard 29er wheels on the Yelli(being that is a loaner/Demo biike) also used for faster XC rides. One thing I am toying with is a more aggressive front tire for a little more traction for the trails out my way. Either way it is a fun ride and it will see more trail time in days to come...
    You should throw on a normal 29er front wheel to see what that does. I am thinking about trying it myself to see how it feels.
    Affordable Custom Wheels

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    You should throw on a normal 29er front wheel to see what that does. I am thinking about trying it myself to see how it feels.
    That's how I have my DB Mason HT set up right now. B+ rear (WTB 2.8 on a Blunt 35), 29er front. I like the results.

I find the extra cush of the B+ rear (plus a 125mm dropper!) makes the alloy HT more manageable for every day riding. I find myself wanting to ride tamer trails, stuff that I normally wouldn't ride, b/c it's fun again.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    That's how I have my DB Mason HT set up right now. B+ rear (WTB 2.8 on a Blunt 35), 29er front. I like the results.

I find the extra cush of the B+ rear (plus a 125mm dropper!) makes the alloy HT more manageable for every day riding. I find myself wanting to ride tamer trails, stuff that I normally wouldn't ride, b/c it's fun again.
    picture?
    Affordable Custom Wheels

Rocks belong
    picture?
    Here it is with the old Frequency i25 650b rim. I don't have the same picture with the Blunt 35, but the net effect is the same.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-img_3209.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Great thread guys. I'm thinking of a Yelli and likely will be experimenting w/ various wheel options. I am curious how the B+ options w/ 30-50mm rims alter the playfulness/nimbleness of the Canfields. Does it make them feel heavy when jumping, hopping, manualing, etc?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kalroot View Post
    Great thread guys. I'm thinking of a Yelli and likely will be experimenting w/ various wheel options. I am curious how the B+ options w/ 30-50mm rims alter the playfulness/nimbleness of the Canfields. Does it make them feel heavy when jumping, hopping, manualing, etc?
    Same here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    Same here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    If anything it makes it feel more alive. Having the little extra squish on the back is a welcome bonus. The only time I really notice a difference is when I preload the front end With 10 psi or less. The front tire squished almost all the way to the rim. I ended up putting 11 psi in the front and 13.5 in the front and that is perfect for me. Firm enough for bunny hopping and trail domination.
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Stupid question, maybe... 29er fork or 27.5 fork 27.5+ setup?

Great stuff in here!

mtbr member
    Subscribed... thinking of made this to my sultan...

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post

Great stuff in here!
    I am running a 29er
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member

27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!

Great stuff in here!
    You need a 29er fork because the outside diameter of the B+ tyre is very similar to a 29er tyre.

Maybe the WTB trailblazer can be mounted on a 27.50 FOX fork that have the bridge taller than others forks. I try with the Vee Trax Fatty but rub on the bridge, but WTB is small than the VTF.

MTB B'dos
    I can't confirm cause I don't have one yet, but the clearance in my X-Fusion Velvet with a 2.4" 650B is quite huge, thinking it would fit the TB 2.8" no worries. On that note, anyone get any confirmation of when the next batch of these will be out? Will be building a rear wheel for my Monkey rigid and then trying clearance on my Paradox to try and add some cush to match the 29+ I can run on the front.

Great stuff in here!
    Quote Originally Posted by MISTER HYDE View Post
    You need a 29er fork because the outside diameter of the B+ tyre is very similar to a 29er tyre.

Maybe the WTB trailblazer can be mounted on a 27.50 FOX fork that have the bridge taller than others forks. I try with the Vee Trax Fatty but rub on the bridge, but WTB is small than the VTF.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Rocks belong
    Mid March, but apparently they're already spoken for

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I am running a 29er
    that's a 29er RS Pike right?

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by JRockF3 View Post
    that's a 29er RS Pike right?
    Yessir. Here is a pic of the clearance. 140mm flavor

27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-hubsessed-cycle-works-canfield-yelli-screamy-b-plus-wtb-scraper-i45-trailblazer-11.jpg
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Sweet! my next build! Thanks! Great thread here!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yessir. Here is a pic of the clearance. 140mm flavor

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hubsessed Cycle Works Canfield Yelli Screamy B plus WTB Scraper i45 Trailblazer 11.jpg 
Views:	853 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	965159
    Very nice build!

I've been searching for a frame to do a 27.5+ build with the Scraper rim and 2.8 tire. I sent an email to Canfield to see if they felt there was any issues with this setup, unfortunately they've only tried it on a 28mm.

Other than the additional weight, are you fully satisfied with the build? Thanks, I really appreciate any input.

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Very nice build!

I've been searching for a frame to do a 27.5+ build with the Scraper rim and 2.8 tire. I sent an email to Canfield to see if they felt there was any issues with this setup, unfortunately they've only tried it on a 28mm.

Other than the additional weight, are you fully satisfied with the build? Thanks, I really appreciate any input.
    Ya, its such a fun bike with the 27.5+ setup. I thought I would suffer from the small knobs on the front wheel, but I am pleasantly surprised how the tire flattens out on the trail and digs in. I do have to put a little more weight over the front end, but that needed to happen anyway!

For me, 11psi in the front and 13.5psi in the back let me run pretty flat out and not ding my rim.

I really don't notice a difference with the extra weight. I am still faster uphill on this bike compared to my FS 29er with carbon wheels.

I would build this bike in a heartbeat if I didn't have one already
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Ya, its such a fun bike with the 27.5+ setup. I thought I would suffer from the small knobs on the front wheel, but I am pleasantly surprised how the tire flattens out on the trail and digs in. I do have to put a little more weight over the front end, but that needed to happen anyway!

For me, 11psi in the front and 13.5psi in the back let me run pretty flat out and not ding my rim.

I really don't notice a difference with the extra weight. I am still faster uphill on this bike compared to my FS 29er with carbon wheels.

I would build this bike in a heartbeat if I didn't have one already
    Appreciate the response. At ~205 lbs. I'll have to run a higher psi. I'm guessing that would actually allow more clearance? I'm building this to do Tahoe Sierra and a couple of other long distance races. I'm leanings towards the 120mm Pike.

Thanks again! I hated to buy the frame only to find out it wouldn't work.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hello everyone. Just bought a 2015 Nimble 9, ordered some 29 LB carbon rims to build up, but stumbled on this thread and got bit hard by this 650b+ concept. My back is a bit sketchy at times, so the extra give from the b+ tires sounds great. I intend to ride a fair bit at bike parks and aggressively in most situations, and my only concern with the b+ is cornering. Wouldn't the tall sidewalls combined with low air pressure result in a terrible, squirmy cornering wheel?

Was thinking about the LB 650b rim. 38mm external width, 31.6 internal. 440g.

Thanks in advance for any input
    Last edited by SeB-66; 02-28-2015 at 07:34 PM.

Rocks belong
    Pump it up to a higher pressure at the bike park

mtbr member
    I don't have too much dirt time on my WTB 2.8/Dually's, snow hit and stayed. From what I have ridden though.... gobs of traction at low PSI. Side walls still feel fairly stiff with minimal psi due to the wider rims = straighter sidewalls. As stated above though.... add a few more PSI to firm up the tire more. BUT like any large volume tire.... too much air will make these lose traction and be more bouncy in the ruff...

mtbr member
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks, guys. Really intrigued by this 27.5+ idea. And I had found, and was encouraged by, that "27.5+ Wheels and Tires on a Kona Process" thread. The Kona looks absolutely killer with those wheels, too!

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by SeB-66 View Post
    Hello everyone. Just bought a 2015 Nimble 9, ordered some 29 LB carbon rims to build up, but stumbled on this thread and got bit hard by this 650b+ concept. My back is a bit sketchy at times, so the extra give from the b+ tires sounds great. I intend to ride a fair bit at bike parks and aggressively in most situations, and my only concern with the b+ is cornering. Wouldn't the tall sidewalls combined with low air pressure result in a terrible, squirmy cornering wheel?

Was thinking about the LB 650b rim. 38mm external width, 31.6 internal. 440g.

Thanks in advance for any input
    I have never felt the front tire get squirmy under cornering. If anything, it flattens out and gives you some crazy braking traction in the corners

I am not sure if KillingtonVT has a different opinion, but I have not had any problems.

You have to remember that 11 psi on a normal mountain bike rim is not the same feel as 11 psi on a 45mm internal rim.
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have never felt the front tire get squirmy under cornering. If anything, it flattens out and gives you some crazy braking traction in the corners

I am not sure if KillingtonVT has a different opinion, but I have not had any problems.

You have to remember that 11 psi on a normal mountain bike rim is not the same feel as 11 psi on a 45mm internal rim.
    Man, sooo tempting! Would the Light Bicycles 31.6mm internal width rim work well? I like the weight (440g) and that it's beadless.

I looked today and didn't see any 27.5+ tires available anywhere. Does anyone know where I could get some?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    decided to do 29er wheels for now. I'll probably give 27.5+ a try later in the year or next year

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Anyone tried the Hugo rims?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I am building my 27.5 Hugo for Carver Gnarvester. I would probably getting a Fox 32 100 - 120 mm.

mtbr member
    Got quite a few more rides in on my "just fat enough" N9 ..... Ended up changing the front tire to a FBN from Panaracer.... Huge difference in the cornering. Front end just glues to the trail in the turns.... Have been riding it more lately than my other Canfields....

Chris Bling
    Got quite a few more rides in on my "just fat enough" N9 ..... Ended up changing the front tire to a FBN from Panaracer.... Huge difference in the cornering. Front end just glues to the trail in the turns.... Have been riding it more lately than my other Canfields....
    Pics or it didn't happen!

squish, squish in da fish
    Have been riding it more lately than my other Canfields....
    that is until you get the riot in your hands. pics would be great too

Unit 91
    So my Evil Following will be here Wednesday and most of the parts off my N9 will be transferred over. However, I've been thinking a lot and after riding the N9 all weekend at Dirtfest, I just can't bring myself to sell it. Thought now is to slowly build it back up into a 140mm travel SS beast. After seeing this thread, anyone have any 27.5+ SS experience? Am I going to hate my life or will the bigger tires help out?
    Bikes

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Will the FBN fit in the rear as well?

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet View Post
    So my Evil Following will be here Wednesday and most of the parts off my N9 will be transferred over. However, I've been thinking a lot and after riding the N9 all weekend at Dirtfest, I just can't bring myself to sell it. Thought now is to slowly build it back up into a 140mm travel SS beast. After seeing this thread, anyone have any 27.5+ SS experience? Am I going to hate my life or will the bigger tires help out?
    Using the bigger tires on your N9 will make your Evil very jealous.
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JRockF3 View Post
    Will the FBN fit in the rear as well?
    It does but... very little clearance between the sidewall and chain stay. Too close for comfort if hitting any occasional muddy spots. This is using the Velocity Dually rims. I would imagine there would be better clearance if you use a 35mm rim. Honestly though, there is plenty of traction in the rear using the WTB TB. I do like the FBN on the front for cornering traction. Huge difference between the two.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    How does the B+ combo compare height wise to a 29er? I picked up a Spearfish frame for XC racing so the Yelli gets to be a fun trail bike. So I'm going to bump the Revelation up to 140mm and put some big meats on it. I run a 3x10 drivetrain so I'm worried about FD to tire clearance. When I put a Trail King 29x2.4 on a P35 I had to re-dish the wheel to the NDS for clearance. I'm currently running WTB KOM i23 rims with Kenda Slant Six 29x2.2 with plenty of clearance.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Depends on rim and tire combo, but I think the general consensus is that a 27.5x3.0 will fit in a frame design for 29x2.4 IF there is enough width clearance. That seems to be the problem, most frames don't enough width to accommodate a "true" 3" B+ tire.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

Canfield Brothers
    With a current 49-50mm chainline and a traditional, non elevated chainstay, the limit is 2.8" tire. If the tire is any bigger your lower yoke will be really thin or need an elevated stay. The boost rear hub will help you fit the 3.0" tire, but not much more. Not sure why you think a 2.8" tire isn't a "true" B+ tire but a 3" is??? I agree with Rsullivan, the 2.8" tire has massive grip and is sufficient for a rear tire. Come check these out this weekend at Duthie Hill near Seattle.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    I'm just curious to see if the VTF 2.8 or other 2.8 tires will fit on the EPO, that's all. Many have complained the Trailblazer isn't really the best AM tire. I wouldn't know, I haven't ridden it yet. I typically like that high volume fast rolling tire, so it may be all I need.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Something different:
    29.3 Chronicle in front
    27.5x2.8 Trailblazer in back
    Scrapers on hope hubs
    Carver trail 490 fork27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-20150604_172522_resized.jpg27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-20150604_172532_resized.jpg
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning." ShakyPuddin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    I'm just curious to see if the VTF 2.8 or other 2.8 tires will fit on the EPO, that's all. Many have complained the Trailblazer isn't really the best AM tire. I wouldn't know, I haven't ridden it yet. I typically like that high volume fast rolling tire, so it may be all I need.
    The guys at Canfield have fit a TB 2.8 with WTB Scraper rims on the EPO with about 1/4" clearance on both side!!!
    Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm looking to go 27+ on my 2013 Yelli - with a LB or nextie carbon rim for lightness. Should I go all the way to a 50mm rim, or just pretty wide at 38mm or so (nextie do an asymmetric rim in this size)? I'm worried about the mud clearance - if I like the ride I'll want to keep them on all year round and it is muddy here in the winter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    My Scrapers and Trailblazers should be ready by next Friday. I'll have to wait a while to change the fork from 120 to 140. Can't wait to ride the Yelli with its new personality.

mtbr member
    Your wish is my command.

I can't believe how big the rim/tire combo is. I included one of the build pics before I mounted them up to try and let you guys see how massive these tires/rims are. I thought they looked big with the Dually/TrailBlazers on there, but DANG!

As far as clearance, I tried to get a pic of the dropouts so you can get an idea of what there is. There is a solid 4-5mm on each side. I have not measured it yet to be exact, but plenty of room.

I took it out for a spin on the local trails and had no chainstay rub, but was running a little too low of pressure in the back ~10psi or so. I dinged a rock and snake bit the tire! I had to stop and help the sealant seal up the holes, and put a little more pressure in there. For me, 10 psi is too low for rowdy rocky trails. I am thinking 12-13 will be a sweet spot for me.

On a good note, the rim showed no sign of impact (luckily)!

Here are the pics

Name:	Hubsessed Cycle Works Scraper i45 Canfield Yelli Screamy wheelset.jpg 
Views:	2542 
Size:	202.4 KB 
ID:	960945

Name:	Hubsessed Cycle Works Scraper i45 Canfield Yelli Screamy bike 2.jpg 
Views:	1145 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	960942

Name:	Hubsessed Cycle Works Scraper i45 Canfield Yelli Screamy bike.jpg 
Views:	1414 
Size:	160.6 KB 
ID:	960943

Name:	Hubsessed Cycle Works Scraper i45 Canfield Yelli Screamy non drive.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	960944

Name:	Hubsessed Cycle Works Scraper i45 Canfield Yelli Screamy.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	960946
    these images make me want to strip my gray yelli screamy and pc to matte black!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Gen 1 Yelli & Scraper, or go thinner?

Would appreciate feedback from anyone running Scraper sized rims in a gen 1 Yelli in 'real world' autumn/winter conditions (slop, leaves, goo). Does it work or better off with something a little smaller?

(Thanks).

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by ghetto View Post
    Would appreciate feedback from anyone running Scraper sized rims in a gen 1 Yelli in 'real world' autumn/winter conditions (slop, leaves, goo). Does it work or better off with something a little smaller?

(Thanks).
    I would recommend the WTB Breakout 2,5. Much meatier. And just as tall. Not as wide, but 2.6 inches of tall knobby goodness
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thx - I was more thinking whether better to go for narrower rims than Scrapers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Has anyone confirmed WTB Scraper 45's work on 2015 Nimble 9 frame? If so, are these rims too big to fit comfortably? Would it be advantageous to use WTB Asym 35 rims?

Rocks belong
    IMHO, for 2.8 tires, Asym i35's is where it's at.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Has anyone tried a Maxxis Chronicle or any of the WTB 3.0 tires in this frame?

bicycle rider

good to know about fit up with wtb. while looking at your pic i puked a lil and then thought i was having a flashback.

gma
    mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    Anyone tried the Hugo rims?
    Yup, just tried them - Hugos with 2.8 WTB Trailblazers DON'T FIT on my 2014 Nimble 9. This surprised me because the Hugo is supposidly only 5mm wider than the Scraper - but there is zero clearance with this combo.
    Trying to decide if I should go with a slightly narrower tire (not many in the 2.5-2.7 range) or flatten the chainstays.

MTB B'dos
    Where's the lack of clearance? If it's in the with and not height, then I'd suggest some 35mm wide (30mm inner width) rims instead of possibly ruining your frame. To me the Trail Blazers casing gets way to big if run on anything bigger like the Scraper WTB suggests for it, 30mm internal is just perfect, even on an i25 rim it's not so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by gma View Post
    Yup, just tried them - Hugos with 2.8 WTB Trailblazers DON'T FIT on my 2014 Nimble 9. This surprised me because the Hugo is supposidly only 5mm wider than the Scraper - but there is zero clearance with this combo.
    Trying to decide if I should go with a slightly narrower tire (not many in the 2.5-2.7 range) or flatten the chainstays.

mtbr member
    So what is the general concensus on rim selection on a 14 N9? I am thinking 3.0 front/ 2.8 rear. So shoud I go scraper up front and Asym in the rear?

Or just asym all around???

Thanks

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I had scrapers with trailblazers wih 14psi in the rear of my 15 N9. there was a mm of clearance either side. was a bit to close for comfort.

Canfield Brothers
    I'd go with a narrower rim, the Trail Blazer gets flattened out and the side walls get exposed with that wide of rim. I'm wanting to try the 35mm ID rim, it will fit better and keep the tire shaped more proper. FWIW I was only able to keep air in the TB tires for a couple rides, kept ripping holes in the side walls/ top of the tire. The Nobby Nic held air for three rides, same thing, holes in the casing.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if they tweaked the geometry for the new '16 N9 model? I see they are calling it the all new N9 for 2016, so maybe the increase some space back there for B+ tires? Would love to throw the scrapers with 2.8 TB's on there without worrying about 1-2mm of space on each side. I'll have a 27.5+ 140mm fork on the front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpolism View Post
    Does anyone know if they tweaked the geometry for the new '16 N9 model? I see they are calling it the all new N9 for 2016, so maybe the increase some space back there for B+ tires? Would love to throw the scrapers with 2.8 TB's on there without worrying about 1-2mm of space on each side. I'll have a 27.5+ 140mm fork on the front.
    We should have our 2016 N9 release ready next week, (I'm just waiting for a couple of frames to arrive to be able to shoot for the launch). Our geo and clearances will remain the same as the previous generation. The updates to the 2016 are lighter weight, a new look and a more compliant ride.

cpolism, if you don't already have rims in hand just get the dually's instead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    cpolism, if you don't already have rims in hand just get the dually's instead.
    What is the advantage of the Dually vs. the WTB ASYM? Seems like there is a serious price jump there...

i'm assuming you are referring to the scraper and not asym. i've had the dually's since they hit the market and haven't looked at anything since. so, i couldn't tell you the differences other than the scraper is 45id and the dually is 39id.

mtbr member
    i'm assuming you are referring to the scraper and not asym. i've had the dually's since they hit the market and haven't looked at anything since. so, i couldn't tell you the differences other than the scraper is 45id and the dually is 39id.
    I always heard the TB's coupled with the scrapers offered a superior tubeless setup. How is everything working out with the dually's?

no complaints on them at all. this is my 2nd winter with them and the rear needs a truing, but that's b/c of my mad skills, or lack of. i also change tires a lot due to trail riding and ds runs so i've never ran tubeless yet. getting ready to scoop up some fr570's and those will be tubeless.

MTB B'dos
    The difference is about $50 and 4mm narrower internal width if you're talking the i35 version of the Asym. Also less weight and a much better tubeless setup since the Asym has a real TCS profile and it is an offset rim, so will build a wheel with near identical spokes lengths and tensions on DS and NDS, i.e. much stronger.

I have the Dually45s, they're decent rims, no trouble so far running tubeless with both normal 29ers tyres and 29+ tyres, but my next set of rims will be the Asyms, i29s for my normal 29er and i35 650B for a B+ setup with TB tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    What is the advantage of the Dually vs. the WTB ASYM? Seems like there is a serious price jump there...

mtbr member
    Thanks Lynx. That pretty much seals it. Asym for the win.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'm ordering everything for the build right now, and just came across the fork and I'm stumped. I'm buying a boost compatible fork, and I see there's an option to get a 27.5+ fork, and also a 29+ fork. The only company that seems to combine the two is Manitou with the new Magnum. I'm getting 140mm, but would it be better to get a 29+ specific or a 27.5+ specific?

Chris Bling
    I'm ordering everything for the build right now, and just came across the fork and I'm stumped. I'm buying a boost compatible fork, and I see there's an option to get a 27.5+ fork, and also a 29+ fork. The only company that seems to combine the two is Manitou with the new Magnum. I'm getting 140mm, but would it be better to get a 29+ specific or a 27.5+ specific?
    For the B+ setup, either get a 29er fork or 27.5+ fork. The 29+ fork is a whole other level of diameter.
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    For the B+ setup, either get a 29er fork or 27.5+ fork. The 29+ fork is a whole other level of diameter.
    Roger that. Thanks! I was thinking of a 29er fork, but I'm worried about the clearance with wider rims. 27.5+ forks might be my best/safest bet. Thanks again

bicycle rider
    I have a standard 29er Pike 140mm fork, 2.8 Trailblazer has 5mm on either side.

FWIW, while it's not ideal, I'm riding the Scraper / Trailblazer combo front and rear on my Nimble 9, having plenty of fun. Did have to plug the rear sidewall, and put (and re-fill) a lot more sealant than usual in it. My theory is that I'm building up the sidewall from the inside. It's inspired me to have a friend build me a proper 27+ fun bike, based on N9 / Yelli geometry, with boost spacing and clearance for proper 3.1 or 3.2 tires with corner knobs. I am selling the wheels and tires in the classifieds, if anyone else wants to try it out. With proper spoke tension, the 50mm rim does not flex much.

27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-img_20160102_155809662.jpg
    27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-img_20160102_155745438.jpg

The Scraper/Trailblazer combo is a "gateway" for 29er riders who want to try this plus thing.

Morgan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post
    We should have our 2016 N9 release ready next week, (I'm just waiting for a couple of frames to arrive to be able to shoot for the launch). Our geo and clearances will remain the same as the previous generation. The updates to the 2016 are lighter weight, a new look and a more compliant ride.
    Did you guys get the frames in for the release!? Too much suspense!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    What was the final verdict on 50mm rims on this build?

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by wcomeaux View Post
    What was the final verdict on 50mm rims on this build?
    Which build? I would / will do it again. Planning on Boost hubs to Derby 45mm rims for next bike.

Morgan

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    im just trying to source some decent 45mm wheels for my N9 now. I was going to sell it for a Fat bike but now i think ill just convert it

bicycle rider
    im just trying to source some decent 45mm wheels for my N9 now. I was going to sell it for a Fat bike but now i think ill just convert it
    WTB Scraper / Trailblazer 27plus wheels - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

Morgan

lol, trying to sell your wheels off a n9 to another person with an n9? after you say this combo isn't ideal in post 180, which it isn't. good ethic, are you a used car salesman too?

bicycle rider
    lol, trying to sell your wheels off a n9 to another person with an n9? after you say this combo isn't ideal in post 180, which it isn't. good ethic, are you a used car salesman too?
    I have no morals. I'm a lizard.

Morgan

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Has anyone tried putting on a standard 650b wheel on the back of the N9 and keeping the 29" front? Was just reading a review of the Foes Mixer. Curious.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Im intersted in your wheels trying to secure funds for them. I know it isnt ideal but It cheaper than building a new bike. Plus the FOES 27.5+ and the Specialized 6Fatties are compatible with 29er wheels too. So not really in uncharted territory. i have a 27.5 bike and i could just use those wheels but i want to get some wider rims for that contact patch!!

Morandi if i can get some 2.8 tires ill let you know how it is.

gma
    mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I was able to fit the Stans Hugos with WTB Trailblazers. I had to slightly dimple the drive side - about 4mm. That allowed the wheel to move 2mm away from the non-drive side and leave 2mm on the drive side. It looks great - like it was made this way, and the chrome finish didn't even crack (which was my biggest worry honestly). After a few hard days riding - even in some wet conditions - I haven't had any gumming up or rubbing. Plus with that super-fat tire, I've run pressures as low as 13, though 15 has become my "regular" pressure. So this combination doesn't work out of the box, but it can be made to work if you're bold (*cough*cough*have balls*cough*) enough to experiment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Plenty of cajones, just short on cash lol

gma
    mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    That said, IMO the Trailblazer isn't an ideal match to the Hugo. The wide rim leaves the tire profile a little too squared-off for my taste. I'd be interested to try other tires in this size. But others might like a more square profile...who knows.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Gonna take the plunge after trying out a friends wheels on my Gen 1 N9. Just picked up a new set of Easton ARC 30 rims (30mm ID) that I'll lace up to some BHS hubs in the next week or two. Price vs weight of these rims seemed like a sweet spot for an experiment that I don't want to dump a ton of cash into. Pics to come as they are built up and installed. Going to run a Trailblazer in back and a Trail Boss (3.0") up front. My friends rims were the same 30mm ID as the Eastons, so the fit should be perfect.

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried the 3.0 Nobby Nic or Rocket Ron on a internal 35 or close rim? I'm hoping that'll fit in the rear.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I've got the 2.8 Nobby Nic on Scraper i45 in the rear of my Yelli and honestly there is no way the 3.0 would fit. I have the 3.0 on the front and I highly doubt that 10mm will be enough to make a difference. The 3.0 is def. a good bit larger than the 2.8. I love the Nobby Nics though. They are a million times better than the WTB TB that only lasted 2 rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xpeppyx View Post
    I've got the 2.8 Nobby Nic on Scraper i45 in the rear of my Yelli and honestly there is no way the 3.0 would fit. I have the 3.0 on the front and I highly doubt that 10mm will be enough to make a difference. The 3.0 is def. a good bit larger than the 2.8. I love the Nobby Nics though. They are a million times better than the WTB TB that only lasted 2 rides.
    Roger that. Thanks for the heads up. I might consider going with a similar setup 2.8NN rear and 3.0NN front. I am curious about the rocket ron 3.0 in the back, but might just stick with a 2.8 per your suggestion. Just got my set up in, can't wait to ride these...27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-img_1765.jpg27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!!-img_1769.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The 3.0 and 2.8 NN combo is great. The sidewall stiffness verses the WTB Trail Boss/Trailblazer combo is night and day. I was able to drop 4psi front and rear over the WTB's. Running 14psi front and 16psi rear.

MTB B'dos
    Out of curiosity, how much do you weigh? I'm about 165lbs (geared up about 180lbs) and I've been running the WTB Asym i35 and WTB Trailblazer @ 16 PSI without any issue so far, no gear, just bottle on the frame, tooling around nearby trails with no drops.

The 3.0 and 2.8 NN combo is great. The sidewall stiffness verses the WTB Trail Boss/Trailblazer combo is night and day. I was able to drop 4psi front and rear over the WTB's. Running 14psi front and 16psi rear.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm only 155 geared up, but my local trails are Moab, Fruita and Grand Junction. The paper thin sidewalls and less than aggressive tread on the WTB's just don't work out here. Too many sharp rocks and drops for them to handle. I tried running lower pressure in the WTB's but it made them squirm on the slick rock and got me a couple of small dents on drops. I had 3 sidewall tears in two rides. Two were patched and the 3rd had me throwing away the tire. As always the trails you ride will really determine what tires will work for you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I've got the 2.8 Nobby Nic on Scraper i45 in the rear of my Yelli and honestly there is no way the 3.0 would fit
    Any chance you can throw a set of calipers over that and give us an actual measurement for that combo? I've got the WTB 2.8 mounted on a 30mm id rim and don't have much room to spare, but the 2.8's really measure closer to 2.6" Just curious if the Schwalbe's are over/under/etc. Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast