Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    @hitechredneck - I was thinking the same thing as Mayha after reading your reply. You praise the bike for what it is but want to many changes for it to fit your intended purpose. There are other 29er 'duro bikes that would check all your boxes.

Also mentioned was the complexity of a one piece upper swingarm and that may also prove to be fact. It would be interesting to see how they could make it possible.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    I understand I am in the minority here about worrying about resale value. So I understand that the backlash about that is going to come. However I do feel that the industry is OUT OF CONTROL right now with prices and the next big thing. So in order not to constantly take a kick in the pants when I want something new I MUST sell what I have to fund that. So it becomes pretty important to me. I feel that since the main upgrades of the new carbon riot seem to be mostly "bolt on" other then the carbon front triangle that it is not too much to as for them to be backwards compatible.A new one piece link, or a boost rear triangle with a longer chainstay I feel should be a option to buy as a upgrade to your existing bike. Or they change it around so much that they kinda just openly admit the first go around was a poor design but you can buy a whole new bike to fix your flex instead of this one piece link.

I hear the talk about "the little guys" having to try to keep up with the big players in the industry and they take the risk which I understand, but that is why I think the upgrade option is even more important as they go through these "growing pains" of a new design or bike. If it is a bolt on change they are making, why not make it a option to upgrade and show people that the original bike they bought is still worth something. The geo is supposed to stay the same so other than material on the front triangle everything else is a bolt on. Show them that not everything in this society is throw away and buy new. That they are different from the big guys that are just chasing a buck with marketing dollars and 6mm of new super fancy hub spacing. I think of all the 2015 balance owners that are now on Nomads, or Enduros because they took a huge bath on their bike since it was upgraded and they were left out to dry. I do not know if they were offered a big discount on a 2016 or not but I sure hope they were.

I feel it is not too much to ask to worry and ask for such things. As well as knowing and wondering what will my bike be worth in the near future. That is weighed into purchase thoughts in the future. Bike brands like yeti, santa cruz hold their value from both the bling factor and the brand keeping the MSRP up through the entire model year so people buy new knowing that they will have something that is worth something when they go to upgrade. Companies like intense for example cannot move their new inventory because they are known for slashing the prices to move inventory so why buy now when in 6 months you can pay half. I would much rather look at the Bros as the yeti and santa cruz side of things. The costumer service is top notch and the bikes ride well so overall I am very happy with them. It is more of a want and desire for a upgrade option to help with current "issues" I have with the bike that seem to be getting addressed with the new model ( flex, boost, longer chainstay option for taller riders) and with the staying relevant with current models/trends to hold value longer so when I do get the option to upgrade I am not left with a paperweight to sell. I get I am about to get hammered about cost for the company, and blah blah blah and its all part of the sport but honestly I feel it is not too much to ask to have the "little guys" that we support by giving our dollars to look out just as much for the "little guys" that gave them those dollars. Its a small community of canfield riders that on this forum are very vocal on many threads about supporting Canfield bikes. Why not give us all one more reason to sing praises?
    As former Canfield owner, I lurk here from time to time. Love the Riot but too much bike for me.

Anyhow, hitechnedneck's (HTRN) comments got my attention because I was recently shopping for a new frame when I encountered a Santa Cruz dealer (with a large online presence) who decided to go on a rant about the overall state of the bike industry today.

Summary of the conversation - sales of high-end (>$5K) bikes have taken a complete nose dive the last 12-18 months (at least for them). Frame sales are way off and there is a large inventory of '17s going into '18 (at least for the brands that they carry which include SC and others).

I think this dealer would agree with HTRN's comment about the industry being out of control. He mentioned that unnecessary standards happening at a dizzying pace, combined with model years along with brands doing their own thing with regard to roll-outs and roll-out dates all contribute to this slump. The rising prices of high-end bikes obviously don't help the situation. He said as a result, buyers that don't need to have the latest and greatest now just wait until end of year discounts (like I did this time around) so that impacts both inventory levels and discounting.

I do agree with HTRN that brands like Yeti, SC and Ibis have been able to maintain MSRP longer while yearly inventory decreased helping maintain values. Not necessarily the case this year. Look at the deal on Ibis' on CC (I picked up a LS V2 for less than advertised discounted price) and if yellow is your color, they'll gladly sell you a TB3 at cost (although not advertised, you can call and negotiate it). BTW - CC was not the dealer that went on the rant. CC did confirm that they have a large inventory of V2 Ripleys and TB3s so them selling at current discounted prices and likely higher discounts to move this inventory does nothing for the resell value of these brands/models. These boutique brands are evidently having to do what everyone else is doing and marking down prices to move inventory. So it seems to be an industry-wide situation that no brand is immune to.

Sorry for the tangent but HTRN's comments resonated based on my recent experience. I'll allow the Rioters to get the thread back on track...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    This is why it would be nice if the bike companies could work together when it comes to standard updates. I know they are all in competition with one another, but the amount of changes that has happened over the last 3 years has been kind of over the top. I think the bike industry has somewhat topped out as far as technology goes. We as consumers are not going to see big innovations that change the industry. We are just going to see refinement tweaks marketed as game changers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The problem is those bike companies are competing for our money. They will invent new standards left and right if they think it will pull more riders toward spending money on them. It's competition that has allowed bikes to advance as much as they have in the past few years... it is competition that is making our used bikes loose value. Companies won't stop making new standards because they want us to keep buying. It's every bit our fault for buying into these new standards as it is theirs for enticing us with them.

The best solution is to go out and ride your bike. Every time I get a new bike itch, I go ride my Riot. Then think to myself "I don't need another bike. This one is amazing."

I'm with stupid
    Maybe the big guys are learning too. Even specialized is making the new yoke and geo flip chip for the 2018 enduro backwards compatible with the 2017 enduro and for sale individually.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A_street View Post
    the amount of changes that has happened over the last 3 years has been kind of over the top.
    You got that right. And as is often noted, prices are out of control too. I am not surprised at the comment from SCTerp that sales are dropping.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankmiester View Post
    The problem is those bike companies are competing for our money. They will invent new standards left and right if they think it will pull more riders toward spending money on them.
    I don't know much about the economics of the bike industry, but I always figured that part of it is that changing standards probably drive sales of complete bikes vs. someone just buying a frame. I'm sure the big companies that are always changing things also don't mind that it takes a while for the smaller companies to catch up every time the industry adopts something new.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I think Enduro racing in the US has really made the industry go crazy about what they can market and charge for a bike. Enduro bikes are to mountain biking as PF flyers are to the Sandlot.

mtbr member
    Ok...so we know they are aiming for a March/April '18 release to public. After listening to the podcast with Dusty and Chris, it seems they will have a few test bikes out there in the wild come September. Is it safe to say they will make the official announcement with specs and potentially pics sometime in September as well?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I think in the interview they said they wanted 30 test bikes by end of September/ start of October. These would be for media. I am beyond excited to see what the bros cook up!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    2 weeks left in September......

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I check for updates every morning.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I heard that they are getting the riding samples this month to double check things like tolerances and build quality and to put some beat down on them but that the production runs available for sales are still about 3 months out.

I'm with stupid
    Wish I could get one to out the beat down on. You know make sure that the bike works in the rocky mountains in colorado. Haha

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SCTerp View Post
    As former Canfield owner, I lurk here from time to time. Love the Riot but too much bike for me.

Anyhow, hitechnedneck's (HTRN) comments got my attention because I was recently shopping for a new frame when I encountered a Santa Cruz dealer (with a large online presence) who decided to go on a rant about the overall state of the bike industry today.

Summary of the conversation - sales of high-end (>$5K) bikes have taken a complete nose dive the last 12-18 months (at least for them). Frame sales are way off and there is a large inventory of '17s going into '18 (at least for the brands that they carry which include SC and others).

I think this dealer would agree with HTRN's comment about the industry being out of control. He mentioned that unnecessary standards happening at a dizzying pace, combined with model years along with brands doing their own thing with regard to roll-outs and roll-out dates all contribute to this slump. The rising prices of high-end bikes obviously don't help the situation. He said as a result, buyers that don't need to have the latest and greatest now just wait until end of year discounts (like I did this time around) so that impacts both inventory levels and discounting.

I do agree with HTRN that brands like Yeti, SC and Ibis have been able to maintain MSRP longer while yearly inventory decreased helping maintain values. Not necessarily the case this year. Look at the deal on Ibis' on CC (I picked up a LS V2 for less than advertised discounted price) and if yellow is your color, they'll gladly sell you a TB3 at cost (although not advertised, you can call and negotiate it). BTW - CC was not the dealer that went on the rant. CC did confirm that they have a large inventory of V2 Ripleys and TB3s so them selling at current discounted prices and likely higher discounts to move this inventory does nothing for the resell value of these brands/models. These boutique brands are evidently having to do what everyone else is doing and marking down prices to move inventory. So it seems to be an industry-wide situation that no brand is immune to.

Sorry for the tangent but HTRN's comments resonated based on my recent experience. I'll allow the Rioters to get the thread back on track...
    I'm a former owner lurker as well hence the late reply. The industry has done it to itself. I'm at the point that I will no longer buy a frame at retail, I'll take my chances and wait for the blow outs.

This has been going on for a very long time though. I spoke with the owner of an LBS over 10 years ago looking for a high end mountain bike. He said he stopped carrying them because they never sold and he had to discount them at the end of the year and then they'd sell.

He could make more money selling 10 low end bikes vs. one high end model.

Toward the end of 2000, my buddy and I both found 2000 Sworks FSRs marked down to $2k from 3K.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I'm at the point that I will no longer buy a frame at retail, I'll take my chances and wait for the blow outs.
    Cool, but I'm going to get one, k?

Buy it new, have a blast for three years, sell it for a loss, repeat. All good. Bikes aren't an investment, they're a means to have fun.If you want to make money, try Fidelity.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by callmesb View Post
    Cool, but I'm going to get one, k?

Buy it new, have a blast for three years, sell it for a loss, repeat. All good. Bikes aren't an investment, they're a means to have fun.If you want to make money, try Fidelity.
    Pretty asinine response.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Pretty asinine response.
    I guess I find it asinine that you're posting complaints about the industry in a new model hype thread. G
    Take your grumpy post somewhere else and let us enjoy the new release.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Yes. This is a hype thread and can we please keep it that way? I think the Bros have resisted the new standards as long as they can but it gets to a point where the new standard is just the standard... they've waited till that point.

And the new bike is going to shred!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by callmesb View Post
    i guess i find it asinine that you're posting complaints about the industry in a new model hype thread. G
    take your grumpy post somewhere else and let us enjoy the new release.
    lol
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yes. This is a hype thread and can we please keep it that way? I think the Bros have resisted the new standards as long as they can but it gets to a point where the new standard is just the standard... they've waited till that point.

And the new bike is going to shred!
    I agree! The Riot was basically only one of a few bikes that I could find this year to use my current wheel set. Most other companies with "newer" Geo bikes all had the new hub.
    And I will be riding this year's Riot for the foreseeable future, I am content. I just want to see this bad ass machine coming!

Cactus Cuddler
    Quote Originally Posted by sdm74 View Post
    I agree! The Riot was basically only one of a few bikes that I could find this year to use my current wheel set. Most other companies with "newer" Geo bikes all had the new hub.
    And I will be riding this year's Riot for the foreseeable future, I am content. I just want to see this bad ass machine coming!
    This is why people who have lost the desire to play the 'new standards for the sake of new standards' game are here: the Bros can make a bike rad enough that it doesn't need the latest and greatest to provide a riding experience at that level, just some thoughtful tuning. Bikes like the Riot are always the counterexample for why those changes are typically unwarranted, and will continue to be...because they rock

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tehllama View Post
    This is why people who have lost the desire to play the 'new standards for the sake of new standards' game are here: the Bros can make a bike rad enough that it doesn't need the latest and greatest to provide a riding experience at that level, just some thoughtful tuning. Bikes like the Riot are always the counterexample for why those changes are typically unwarranted, and will continue to be...because they rock
    Totally totally agree with you tehllama and sdm74...I go to the Fruita Fat Tire festival and Outerbike every year and ride all the new standards with the hyped up latest and greatest...don't get me wrong, I've ridden some really great bikes but to be honest I can't tell the great difference these new standards are suppose to be making over my Canfields. I've yet to ride a new bike that has me thinking this is SO SO much better than my Riot, EPO, or Balance and guess what is still in my stable? The Riot, Balance, and EPO with no burning desire for anything new.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I was hoping weíd get a sneak peak at the new bike with Interbike going on... thatís where they unveiled the 2016 Balance. Itís looking like it will still be a bit of a wait.

mtbr member
    I was hoping weíd get a sneak peak at the new bike with Interbike going on... thatís where they unveiled the 2016 Balance. Itís looking like it will still be a bit of a wait.
    I was hoping so too. Maybe they'll be at Outerbike with it on display in a couple weeks?

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by cpolism View Post
    I was hoping so too. Maybe they'll be at Outerbike with it on display in a couple weeks?
    They are a little behind. Not sure if they will make that timeline...

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Dusty is right.
    We just got our riding samples last week- and we found some clearance issues.
    This will delay this frame until next fall or so.
    I know everyone is waiting and hoping.
    We are gutted as well.
    Canfield Brothers on Facebook
    https://bitconnect.co/?ref=cSquared

I'm with stupid
    I'm just happy that you are willing to delay to make it perfect. Hell chances I'd by then there will be some new fancy standard that Sram will bring out that you guys can just stick in there. ..... I kid I kid..... well kinda. Any chance you guys design a Alum swing arm and a 1 piece link for current riot owners to hold us over? ( I will do the CNC proto for free)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Bummer Chris, but we know how things work and while its disappointing news, we get it. I know I will still be waiting on one of these even if its next fall and fully support you guys waiting until it is right to release it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    We are glad to hear from you. Thanks for the update. Appreciate your willingness to put off the bike to make it something you are truly proud of. The bike will be all the better for it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared View Post
    Dusty is right.
    We just got our riding samples last week- and we found some clearance issues.
    This will delay this frame until next fall or so.
    I know everyone is waiting and hoping.
    We are gutted as well.
    Big time bummer, and while itís tough news to hear, we all completely understand and know itís for the best when it comes to the final product. On the bright side, my wife wonít leave me for at least another year since I wonít be buying a new bike. I can always make a positive out of a negative.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by cpolism View Post
    Big time bummer, and while itís tough news to hear, we all completely understand and know itís for the best when it comes to the final product. On the bright side, my wife wonít leave me for at least another year since I wonít be buying a new bike. I can always make a positive out of a negative.
    I second that lol guess it's one more year till single life kicks in.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    That sucks. No prob on my end though, I can wait. I'm buying something special in winter 2019 to celebrate my 30th year of mountain biking.

Noticed you guys chopped the price on the balance too. I'm beginning to suspect you'll be launching 2 new carbon frames at the same time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Noticed you guys chopped the price on the balance too. I'm beginning to suspect you'll be launching 2 new carbon frames at the same time.
    I just noticed this interesting comment from Chris.
    Canfield at Leogang World Cup?
    Proto's aren't in yet. So no pics.
    and BOTH... 29 and 27. (No flippies chippies either)

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Having own the Riot since they came out and now being on a gen2 version my hopes are they offer the new updated version in aluminum not just carbon (thought i read in a thread wasnt going to happen tho). Allow for up to a 160 fork (would love to see a 65.5 HA @160). Drop the sizes down S to M, L to M, XL to L and new XL. Shorter seat tube and a 1 piece linkage. For myself Im not digging the super long bikes that are coming out there cool bikes for certain place IMO but feel for the most people wont benefit from them again IMO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by anc67 View Post
    Having own the Riot since they came out and now being on a gen2 version my hopes are they offer the new updated version in aluminum not just carbon (thought i read in a thread wasnt going to happen tho). Allow for up to a 160 fork (would love to see a 65.5 HA @160). Drop the sizes down S to M, L to M, XL to L and new XL. Shorter seat tube and a 1 piece linkage. For myself Im not digging the super long bikes that are coming out there cool bikes for certain place IMO but feel for the most people wont benefit from them again IMO.
    I may be in the minority these days, but I don't care that my bike is aluminum. I'm very happy with my Riot when it's in the environment that it performs best. I'd like a second bike for the bigger hitting day, and want to stay with 29er wheels. So if the Riot could use 160mm forks, or a new 160/160 bike came out I'd be interested.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    I may be in the minority these days, but I don't care that my bike is aluminum. I'm very happy with my Riot when it's in the environment that it performs best. I'd like a second bike for the bigger hitting day, and want to stay with 29er wheels. So if the Riot could use 160mm forks, or a new 160/160 bike came out I'd be interested.
    This is my feelings as well. I love my riot. It punches above its weight class so well. But for some of my riding I was wanting more travel mainly bike parks and stuff like that. I picked up a balance that for me does it. Now I need to knock the dust off my epo and ride it some this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighguy29 View Post
    This is my feelings as well. I love my riot. It punches above its weight class so well. But for some of my riding I was wanting more travel mainly bike parks and stuff like that. I picked up a balance that for me does it. Now I need to knock the dust off my epo and ride it some this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm close to getting a balance, but rather have 9er wheels and a bike that would feel similar when I switch between them. I'll hold out till 2018, before I decide since it's more my problem than the Riot''s problem. It's just a bit skittish around 30mph to me, and I hurt when bottomin out....the bike never complains lol.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    I'm close to getting a balance, but rather have 9er wheels and a bike that would feel similar when I switch between them. I'll hold out till 2018, before I decide since it's more my problem than the Riot''s problem. It's just a bit skittish around 30mph to me, and I hurt when bottomin out....the bike never complains lol.
    I own both, you would be surprised at how easy it is to switch back and forth. The shocker is more getting back on the riot after the balancefor a bit and seeing how playful the riot is compared to the plow bike balance (with 170mm fork) So that is really the only adjustment I have to make is the playfulness or the less amount of playful but I tend to adjust to the more plow ride of the balance quicker. Hell I get on the riot and go to manual and almost loop out every time the first few times. So it is backwards of what you think it will be. I run the same bars, stem length, brakes, grips, saddle, and even tires. The stack height on the Balance is 10mm lower so I can get a bit more weight on the slacker bigger fork. Just when I know I am going to hit stuff hard and fast I grab the balance and then use the riot for everything else.

I'm with stupid
    I do think since I am not getting a Carbon riot this year that a 11-6 is in order for this bike. Anyone have a ride report on a 11-6? Does it calm the rear end down at higher speeds?

mtbr member
    I own both, you would be surprised at how easy it is to switch back and forth. The shocker is more getting back on the riot after the balancefor a bit and seeing how playful the riot is compared to the plow bike balance (with 170mm fork) So that is really the only adjustment I have to make is the playfulness or the less amount of playful but I tend to adjust to the more plow ride of the balance quicker. Hell I get on the riot and go to manual and almost loop out every time the first few times. So it is backwards of what you think it will be. I run the same bars, stem length, brakes, grips, saddle, and even tires. The stack height on the Balance is 10mm lower so I can get a bit more weight on the slacker bigger fork. Just when I know I am going to hit stuff hard and fast I grab the balance and then use the riot for everything else.
    I also have both bikes set up very similar and I agree with your assessment of the two. I've been mainly riding the Riot the past 3 weeks but I spent the past weekend in Downieville riding the Balance. What a dream to plow through those trails at Mach 5. (It felt like Mach 5 to me.) No adjustment period needed whatsoever. I have the 11.6 on both bikes and its an awesome shock. Yes it cost a lot but so does a fork and you have it for life. The one on my Balance used to be on an Enduro 29 I had before I drank the Canfield Kool Aid. My two riding budd's both have an 11.6 on there bikes, the said Enduro29 and the other rides a Pivot Mach 6. What surprised them most was how well they climbed with it.

I'm with stupid
    Nice! I would like one for each but I am pretty happy with the balance with either the CCDBAcs or the double barrel coil. The Riot I am just looking to get ride of the skipping/wild rear end feeling at speed and I figure the most sure fire way is to got balls deep in a 11-6 and get it right the first time instead of trial and error. Do you feel that you can get to the same speeds on the riot in the mildy chunk stuff as the balance? I find that even smaller bumps at speed will upset the rear of my riot...... but I am not a tuning ninja. Just mainly sticking with the factory setting since they seem to be the best overall compromise.

mtbr member
    Nice! I would like one for each but I am pretty happy with the balance with either the CCDBAcs or the double barrel coil. The Riot I am just looking to get ride of the skipping/wild rear end feeling at speed and I figure the most sure fire way is to got balls deep in a 11-6 and get it right the first time instead of trial and error. Do you feel that you can get to the same speeds on the riot in the mildy chunk stuff as the balance? I find that even smaller bumps at speed will upset the rear of my riot...... but I am not a tuning ninja. Just mainly sticking with the factory setting since they seem to be the best overall compromise.
    I am pretty happy with the nice light simple Manitou McLeod that I put on my Riot. Had the stock CCDBA that I tried everything with (XV can, tuning ect...) to get rid of that "skipping/wild rear end feeling at speed" and nothing worked with it. Think that is the low leverage rate of the Riot and CCDBA do not work well.

Put on a Fox DHX coil that I had Pushed and that felt quite a bit better than the CCDBA. But was heavy, has no climb switch and still felt a bit of skipping in chunky stuff (last few inches of travel).

The Manitou McLeod feels as good/about the same as the Pushed DHX coil, but only weighs 300 grams and has a climb switch (4 compression/IPA settings).

I still feel that it could be smoother deeper into the travel so I just order the King Can (high volume) for the McLeod. Looking at the spring curve of the King Can it should work well. It should give more supportive mid-stroke and be smoother and plusher deeper into the travel.

So hoping/thinking that the McLeod with King Can is going to finally get the azz end where I want it without breaking the bank.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    hitech, I have a Balance and Riot. Set up exactly the same. Both have the Jade. Have not had any issues with the rear end on the Riot. I went with the coil because of the comments on this forum. And I liked it on the Balance. Couldn't be happier. I do feel a little flex in the rear on the Riot. But that's just because I rode the Balance first. You do have to make sure the links are tight. I agree with your comments on both bikes. I took both to Angelfire, but didn't ride the Riot on the mountain because the Balance felt so good. Rode it on South Boundry and it was the perfect bike for that. It's a better trail bike. Balance feels sluggish on regular trails. Comes alive when speeds increase and trails gets rougher. But I still rode it instead of my carbon 29er, until I got the Riot.

mtbr member
    I don't believe you'll ever get the same stability of the Balance when your moving over 30mph. The super short rear end and overall wheel base doesn't compare, but then again were comparing a WRC Rally car to a Baja trophy truck. (I read that somewhere). What I can tell you is the 11.6 will give you great traction, the rear wheel glides with the terrain. I'm also not a suspension guru and I've said this before that for such a sophisticated piece of equipment it's very simple to make adjustments (Tune). The needle bearing that it has is sensitive and each click on the LSC/HSC dials makes a difference that you really can feel. I'm like you and love both bikes for what they are, It's weird that they feel similar and different at the same time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I do think since I am not getting a Carbon riot this year that a 11-6 is in order for this bike. Anyone have a ride report on a 11-6? Does it calm the rear end down at higher speeds?
    I'm on a avalanche chubbie. Push and ava are both great at what they do. I just didn't feel the need to pay extra for a second setting. The Riot doesn't need help peddling. Unless maybe you a stand and mash guy, you can add a lot of compression.

But I don't feel any issues wit the rear of the Riot from the shock trying to keep up, my favorite trail I ride is a bunch of drops and one long rock garden for 2 miles. The rear tracks strait, no skiping.
    Last edited by Cerberus75; 10-04-2017 at 11:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by acfsportsfan View Post
    I don't believe you'll ever get the same stability of the Balance when your moving over 30mph. The super short rear end and overall wheel base doesn't compare, but then again were comparing a WRC Rally car to a Baja trophy truck. (I read that somewhere). What I can tell you is the 11.6 will give you great traction, the rear wheel glides with the terrain. I'm also not a suspension guru and I've said this before that for such a sophisticated piece of equipment it's very simple to make adjustments (Tune). The needle bearing that it has is sensitive and each click on the LSC/HSC dials makes a difference that you really can feel. I'm like you and love both bikes for what they are, It's weird that they feel similar and different at the same time.
    You are correct you won't make a short wheel base bike with a normal BB height feel stable, you're always going to need to pay attention more. But is dose stop the skipping around.

In early rally days, before AWD sedans. Lancia built one of the fastest rally cars in its days. It was a short wheel based mid engine car. It would win if you could control it. The engine was much like a front wheel drive car put in the rear so center of mass was higher, the car could dance around anything. This is how the Riot feels to me.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Lancia Stratos.

Body of a Lamborghini Muira (designed by the same man, Marcello Gandini at Bertone) with the ride height of a truck.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

Gigantic Hawk
    Since the carbon frame is delayed, any running changes for the current model for next year? Perhaps a boost rear end, and a one piece upper link?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    Since the carbon frame is delayed, any running changes for the current model for next year? Perhaps a boost rear end, and a one piece upper link?
    Dubthang-
    YES- we designed the Carbon with both boost and the one piece upper. Think Balance.
    Now if we could settle on a name....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Dubthang-
    YES- we designed the Carbon with both boost and the one piece upper. Think Balance.
    Somebody somewhere in here recommended Civil Unrest. I like that... of course Iíve always wanted to see a bike called The Skid Mark.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    After getting the OK from Canfield, I am going to try a boost experiment on my Riot. I have a set of wheels I want to use and the rear is just barely too tight to slide them in without spreading the dropouts a tiny bit. Talking like maybe 2mm. I noticed the fit was not snug with the 142 to begin with and upon talking with Chris, he endorsed trying it out. I have a new rear axle on order that is longer to accommodate and as soon as it arrives, I will fit it all and report back. If works, we have a boost Riot so check that box .

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Dubthang-
    Is that one piece upper going to be backwards compatible?

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by A_street View Post
    Is that one piece upper going to be backwards compatible?
    God I sure hope so. If so I will buy one right now. Or hell even the cad model and make it lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by a_street View Post
    is that one piece upper going to be backwards compatible?
    no-

Gigantic Hawk
    Dubthang-
    I meant for the aluminum model since, I assume, it will be for sale until next fall when the carbon model finally debuts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Geometry wish list, even though it sounds like its too late, not that they would listen to random people in a forum anyway.

Large frame: STL 450-475mm, STA 75-77 degrees, HTA 65 degrees with 160mm fork, Reach 465-475mm,

I rode the XL Toir/Riot in Moab a few weeks ago and it was very noticeable that it had a tall STL. I could not get the seat out of my way on descents. I'm running a 200mm dropper with a 475mm STL and it's perfect. So 475 that can sink a 200mm 9-point-8 post to the collar to be more specific. I'd be happy if the L or XL met theses numbers. I won't buy a bike with a STL greater than 475, fortunately for me that seems to be the trend with most new designs coming out. I'm boarder line between L and XL, as long as reach goes more than 460 on the large I prefer to stay that direction to not increase wheelbase unnecessarily.

I would base it on the 160mm fork, not a 140mm. And I would consider the reduce offset forks that Transition and Orbea are favoring.

Also when is the Carbon Balance due?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema View Post
    After getting the OK from Canfield, I am going to try a boost experiment on my Riot. I have a set of wheels I want to use and the rear is just barely too tight to slide them in without spreading the dropouts a tiny bit. Talking like maybe 2mm. I noticed the fit was not snug with the 142 to begin with and upon talking with Chris, he endorsed trying it out. I have a new rear axle on order that is longer to accommodate and as soon as it arrives, I will fit it all and report back. If works, we have a boost Riot so check that box .
    I'd be curious to hear how that goes, and I wonder if it would work on my Balance as well. Not that I really care about boost but I've been holding off on a new wheelset because I have a 142 rear and a 110 front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    I'd be curious to hear how that goes, and I wonder if it would work on my Balance as well. Not that I really care about boost but I've been holding off on a new wheelset because I have a 142 rear and a 110 front.
    There should be no problem.
    Check out the last posts on the 2016 Balance thread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    I guess I forgot to reply to this thread. I posted in the Balance and other Riot thread but basically it worked great. I bought a longer maxle stealth rear axle. 174 length, 1.75 thread pitch with 2cm threaded end. Universal sells a couple axles that meet that criteria. It works great, probably have 200 miles on setup with zero negatives.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema View Post
    I guess I forgot to reply to this thread. I posted in the Balance and other Riot thread but basically it worked great. I bought a longer maxle stealth rear axle. 174 length, 1.75 thread pitch with 2cm threaded end. Universal sells a couple axles that meet that criteria. It works great, probably have 200 miles on setup with zero negatives.
    Sweet, thanks! Guess it's time for a wheel upgrade...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12