Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread

Well, there's a Riot Photo Thread....

2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-20160814_091801.jpg
    Taking a break @ JMP in Oakland, it was so much fun going down Chaparral Trail. The Balance just ate up all the rail road ties.

mtbr member

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by acfsportsfan View Post
    Well, there's a Riot Photo Thread....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160814_091801.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	380.0 KB 
ID:	1088103
    Taking a break @ JMP in Oakland, it was so much fun going down Chaparral Trail. The Balance just ate up all the rail road ties.
    You ruined in a few second all my efforts to decide if I choose a Riot or a Balance frame....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freddok View Post
    You ruined in a few second all my efforts to decide if I choose a Riot or a Balance frame....
    I'm a little slow, I don't understand what you mean?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Taking a break or two while practicing for the Chuckanut Enduro race this weekend.

Last edited by jminus; 08-23-2016 at 09:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm a little slow, I don't understand what you mean?
    No problem, my english is maybe not really good... :-) . Just to say, I'm looking since a moment for buying a canfield frame but I hesitate between the riot and the balance. I was almost decided for the riot until I see your bike...

mtbr member
    2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-20160826_162713_resized.jpg2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-20160826_170522_resized.jpg
    Contra Loma/Black Diamond Mines, Antioch, Cal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Not a trail photo per se, but the Balance kicked ass all day on last weekend's CDC enduro race here in Bellingham.

Racing was never something I even considered doing until I got this bike. The Balance has been one heck of a confidence upgrade.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jminus View Post
    The Balance has been one heck of a confidence upgrade.
    That is about the best compliment we can receive! Thanks for the support Justin and glad you had fun at the race.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    This is the funnest bike and I have ridden quite a few over the years.2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-balance-otero.jpg

mtbr member
    2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-20160916_161656_resized.jpg2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-20160916_165223_resized.jpg
    Downieville, Cal.

mtbr member

Getting ready to drop in on walnut in brown county indinana. This bike is so awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-packer-saddle-9-17-16.jpeg
    Shuttle Drop Off @ Packer Saddle, Downieville, Cal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    No pic, but how about a video. My riding buddy put together a 3 min video from gopro footage of us riding at Angelfire. I'm the one in the orange jersey, riding my Balance. Not a lot of riding footage, but it is a Balance. And it was the perfect bike for 95% of the trails. And handled the other 5% just fine.

if the link doesn't work search YouTube, FWMBA Angelfire.

http://youtu.be/edT30HJuryw

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Looked like you had a blast in Angel Fire Rone. Heading there this weekend with the Balance. Such a fantastic bike that does everything so well. It gives me confidence when going super fast which can be a bad thing for this old man.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    We did have a blast.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Fresh off the trails at Galbraith, Bellingham. First ride on new Hope brakes. So far I'm a big fan!

mtbr member
    What I find very enjoyable is the conversation starter that owning a Canfield has. The shuttle drivers in Downieville that load all these great bikes seam to always compliment my Balance and that gets the ball rolling with others asking questions. Seen a lot of Specialized, Santa Cruz, Yeti and Pivots up there and I loved having the only Canfield although the Crampon pedals were popular.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    What I find very enjoyable is the conversation starter that owning a Canfield has. The shuttle drivers in Downieville that load all these great bikes seam to always compliment my Balance and that gets the ball rolling with others asking questions. Seen a lot of Specialized, Santa Cruz, Yeti and Pivots up there and I loved having the only Canfield although the Crampon pedals were popular.
    I'm with you. Lot's of people ask about the bike and I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the attention. I have to try hard not to overly gush when asked.

And when I run across someone else on a Canfield, I feel like we are brothers in a secret society

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm with you. Lot's of people ask about the bike and I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the attention. I have to try hard not to overly gush when asked.

And when I run across someone else on a Canfield, I feel like we are brothers in a secret society
    I think we all are...and it's no longer a secret. I'm spreading the Canfield love out there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Saw 2 other Canfields in Angelfire. 1 Jedi, 1 Balance. Both ridden by women. Both shredders. My buddies ask me if I bought a girl's bike. Ha.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Angel Fire was great yesterday, all sun and not one cloud in sight. Temps were in the low 60s and there was no lines to get on the lift. Our Balance performed flawless there. Ran into a buddy that I haven't seen in awhile and he was on a Session. Needless to say, we kept up with him. This bike just shreds.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Name:	20160916_161656_resized.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	191.8 KB 
ID:	1094848Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160916_165223_resized.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	170.6 KB 
ID:	1094849
    Downieville, Cal.
    About to start building up a Balance. My suspension setup should be similar with a Push in the rear and Lyrik 170mm up front. How does it climb? I'll assume it's an absolute beast going down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d3ftone View Post
    About to start building up a Balance. My suspension setup should be similar with a Push in the rear and Lyrik 170mm up front. How does it climb? I'll assume it's an absolute beast going down.
    I would say it is smooth on the downs soaking up all the chatter. As far as climbing goes I'm not the best person to ask, I always say "first one to the top waits the longest". It's a little heavy compared to carbon bikes but it doesn't really feel like a heavy bike when your riding it. It is what it is, a slacked out terrain munching machine and I like it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I would say it is smooth on the downs soaking up all the chatter. As far as climbing goes I'm not the best person to ask, I always say "first one to the top waits the longest". It's a little heavy compared to carbon bikes but it doesn't really feel like a heavy bike when your riding it. It is what it is, a slacked out terrain munching machine and I like it!
    While I don't hate climbing, I have similar sentiments. I enjoy the challenge of going up but it's just that thing you have to do so you can get the payoff of going down. I also have more fun on a 27.5 compared to a 29 when I'm descending. These reasons are why I went with the Balance. I feel it's going to be a bike that maximizes the fun parts of riding while still being serviceable on the parts that you have to do, in theory at least. I'll know soon

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Here she is all decked out in the rain gear. Testing out some ideas for keeping muck out of the linkage. The idea for the little foam chunk inside the linkage came from Chris Canfield. Works awesome.

Decided to order a mudhugger rear fender because I'm tired of having to scrape mud off my riding pants every day in the wet season.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    While I don't hate climbing, I have similar sentiments. I enjoy the challenge of going up but it's just that thing you have to do so you can get the payoff of going down. I also have more fun on a 27.5 compared to a 29 when I'm descending. These reasons are why I went with the Balance. I feel it's going to be a bike that maximizes the fun parts of riding while still being serviceable on the parts that you have to do, in theory at least. I'll know soon
    I really enjoy climbing, especially when it's technical, and I have no problem keeping up with my carbon fiber riding pals. The Balance has amazing traction when pedaling, which, combined with the great body position provided by the steep seat tube, make it climb great. The chunkier the climb, the more it stands out. All my climbing PRs on our local trails have been set on the Balance.

It is heavier than my previous (carbon) bike, but I solved that issue by riding more

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    She's a beaut! Good idea with the foam, motocross riders do that for mud races, foam on the top of the helmet and in random crevices on the bike.

Damn, that's impressive that the Balance climbs that well. Happy to hear that. How are the trails in Galbraith and Bellingham in general? I was there a couple months ago when I was passing through on a road trip to Whistler and rode a few trails on the Chuckanut side - double down, double diamond, and a couple others, they were pretty epic. Are Galbraith and Chuckanut the only two trail spots?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    She's a beaut! Good idea with the foam, motocross riders do that for mud races, foam on the top of the helmet and in random crevices on the bike.

Damn, that's impressive that the Balance climbs that well. Happy to hear that. How are the trails in Galbraith and Bellingham in general? I was there a couple months ago when I was passing through on a road trip to Whistler and rode a few trails on the Chuckanut side - double down, double diamond, and a couple others, they were pretty epic. Are Galbraith and Chuckanut the only two trail spots?
    Galbraith is a blast. It is more on the bike park side (more jumps, obstacles and flow) of the spectrum when compared to Chuckanut (steep and natural). Trails at Galbraith are very well maintained and marked so its great for visitors.

I'm relatively new to Bellingham (< 1 year) so I haven't done too much exploring outside of Chuckanut and Galbraith. I think most of the other riding around here requires some driving. It is pretty easy to scoot up to BC and ride Squamish, Whistler, and North Shore, so most of my exploration has been to the north.

I rode the Balance at Whistler too. Bike ate up everything I threw at it!

mtbr member
    2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-20161009_114730_resized.jpg2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-20161009_094950_resized.jpg
    U.C. Santa Cruz trails (The ever changing water tank murals)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-20161009_095020_resized.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Spent a few days in Fruita, Co. We rode 20-25 miles everyday there. The Balance climbs like no other bike I've owned and descending is phenomenal. Here are the twins.
    2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-fruita.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Here is my 2016 Balance. Weighs in at 31.2 pounds with pedals...only 1/2 pound more than the carbon Transition Patrol and Rocky Mountain Slayer that I demoed at Outerbike a couple of weeks ago.

Haven't had a whole lot of time on it since the shock had to go back to Cane Creek already after riding the Deer Valley Bike Park in Park City. Just got the shock back and so far I'm really loving it! At the bike park, I prefer the Balance over the Riot...jumps so well and inspires great confidence. It is a great addition to my Riot and EPO! Just got a DVO Jade with a Fox SLS spring for it...this will add another 1/2 pound to the overall weight which is nothing to me. If anyone has a Jade, would love to hear the settings you found worked best!

This picture was taken on Sardine Peak up at Snowbasin Utah.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-img_20161010_113431.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Wet trails today after lots of rain. Took the balance out in full rain gear, rocking the mudhugger on the rear and a custom linkage protector I made the other day.

After last winter I decided I was tired of washing my bike of a dealing with trashed clothes on after every ride so I went full mud flap this year. All the different guards did a pretty good job keeping the important bits clean and more importantly I didn't have that awful squishy mud feeling in my shorts by the end of the ride.

Before:

After:

mtbr member
    2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-20161103_141848_resized.jpg
    "Fight Club" Trail Antioch, Cal.

Canfield Brothers
    2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-img_3656.jpg2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-img_3660.jpg

Had a great day out on Dead Horse Point. Enjoying the new tires.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-me-dv.jpeg

Fire Swamp at Deer Valley.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    A rare break in the rain at Galbraith.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Ok, Lance, I can't tell what tires those are. Running DHF, f & r. Great for parks, but probably overkill for everything else. So what are you running?

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by Rone Turner View Post
    Ok, Lance, I can't tell what tires those are. Running DHF, f & r. Great for parks, but probably overkill for everything else. So what are you running?
    The front is a 2.8 Nobby Nic and the rear is a 2.8 Recon. Surprised no one else has tried to plus out a Balance. I have a Canfield wheel set also with some 2.5 DH Minions for park days.
    www.mtbparks.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I was thinking about slapping on some 2.8 tires on and seeing how they work. Nice knowing it can happen with the Balance, such a versatile bike! Right now I'm playing with the DVO Jade on mine. Taking it one thing at a time so I can see what I like or dislike on the changes.

mtbr member
    2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-image.jpg

Just finished this up and had the first ride today. I love it!! I'm coming off of a Riot and I liked that. But when I put 27.5s on the Riot I knew I needed a Balance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I traded you that bike bro! Haha, I'm setting up your Riot on 27.5x2.8 high rollers, RS Vivid coil and Ohlins RXF 34. I see you insta-swapped that Lyrik out haha. Did you give it a ride first?

I'll post pics of my build when it's done.

mtbr member
    Show it!

I didn't even mount that Lyrik. Im sold on the MRP Stage. I just love that fork.

I had the Raze changed so It would fit the Balance and the bike feels great. I had a good baseline to start from so the first ride was full on.

mtbr member
    Getting ready to drop in @ Pacifica Boy Scout Trail. My first time here and these trails were above my comfort level. I did like the waterfall rock garden on "the Mile" trail. I felt I had an advantage over my riding buds with the Balance. Rode it blind and made it all the way through.
    2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-20161204_104509_resized.jpg
    2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-20161204_114952_resized_1.jpg
    Last edited by acfsportsfan; 12-05-2016 at 09:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ROFF View Post
    Show it!

I didn't even mount that Lyrik. Im sold on the MRP Stage. I just love that fork.

I had the Raze changed so It would fit the Balance and the bike feels great. I had a good baseline to start from so the first ride was full on.
    +1 the stage is so good. I'm totally on board for the ribbon when they get released.

mtbr member
    2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-20161001_140919.jpg

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighguy29 View Post

Those look awful familiar .... 😁😁

mtbr member
    May 2011

Balance 2016 in Castle Rock, CO

2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-img_20161120_123626059-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rsullivan View Post
    Those look awful familiar ....
    As they should

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

mtbr member
    I just love seeing new trail photos of the Balance every few days!

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by gbone24@gmail.com View Post

Name:	IMG_20161120_123626059 (1).jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	1110810
    If you ever bring your balance down to the Springs hit me up. I have a Riot and a Balance on the way. Would be nice to ride with another canfield person.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Happy dog, happy bike.

I'm with stupid

Mine showed up today!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    No tire rub? Room for a little mud? I know the maxxis 2.8 are smaller than advertised.

I'm with stupid
    I'm going to grab my frame from the shop so I can build it up today. I will slap a wheel with a 2.8 rekon in there and snap a pic or two.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks!!!!

I'm with stupid
    Here you go. This is on 30mm inner wheels. Only one kinds tight spot but TONS of room

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Wow, looks like will work fine. Curious to hear your thoughts about how it rides with the plus tires. Thanks!

I'm with stupid

Weather was nice today!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Getting some trail riding in as all my local higher elevation stuff is iced over.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Coming in hot on an icy turn. Lost the back and high sided into the sticks.

I'm with stupid

Getting my Danny Mac on with a balance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Is that with the plus tires? How was it. Any frame rub?

I'm with stupid
    No I ended up taking the plus size setup apart. I didn't like it on my riot so figured I would not like it on the balance. Plus my fork out not fit the 2.8 highroller.

Canfield Brothers
    I have 2.8 plus on my Balance, I like it for the riding I do, mostly sharp, loose and rough terrain. Smooths allot of the small chatter out, seems to not hang up on those small bit as much as a 29 higher pressure tire. I think it works well in rough conditions but no real advantage if the conditions are near perfect. Loamy or built PNW trails, don't bother with plus. Rugged back country or desert trails it's a reassuring feeling to have better traction, a smoother ride and float for the sandy bits. It can be bouncy if your air pressure is off only one or two PSI and the bigger tires do that even more. Lastly the casing is still a bit wimpy, I care lots of plugs.
    www.mtbparks.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Enjoying a rare warm and not rainy January day in the PNW.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I put rekon in the rear and 2.8 dhf in the front. A little tight at the chain stays, but took on one short ride and did not notice any rub. Will pit some tape where it's close and see if rubs off. At least for the short test I did- felt great! Tons of traction and not sure if I felt significantly more drag on the climbs. Does feel a little vague, but also felt like did not need to be as precise about line choice. Agreed- if going to bike park, will want the hr2 2.4 set up. Cool option to play with.

mtbr member
    Lake Chabot (Castro Valley, Ca.) XC fitness ride on the big bike.
    2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-20170129_124747_resized_2.jpg2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-20170129_141029_resized_2.jpg
    I think it's funny that I refer to the Balance as the big bike with the smaller wheels compared to my Riot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Nice winter day in the woods.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Looking back at the rock it just hucked.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    This thread is too quiet! First tracks this morning.

I'm with stupid
    Awesome! Got to love 2nd tracks..... The trail dog beat you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Awesome! Got to love 2nd tracks..... The trail dog beat you.

Haha. Yeah. It was untouched until I got my phone out and squatted down to take the shot. Then she went bolting by. I had the last laugh. She had to have a bath when we got home

mtbr member
    Big Trees trail, JMP in Oakland, Cal.
    2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-20170312_105927_resized_1.jpg2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-20170312_110004_resized_1.jpg
    Upgarded my Lyrik with the Avalanche cartridge.
    Last edited by acfsportsfan; 03-14-2017 at 07:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I finally dug up this pic from my first week with my Balance. Still had the DBAir instead of the 11.6. Halton Agreement Forest/Milton Falls in ON, CA.

2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-rumijpslker7pmhxs6ngz1iuieijbafl1dheimh4xog-2048x1536.jpg

The rock drop here is about 6ft vertical lip-to-landing and about 4ft horizontal, and the biggest drop I'd hit up to that point. Landing it on the Balance felt fantastic, smooth and supported. Phenomenal.

2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-img_20160709_151638a.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    First ride on my new 2017 Balance. I must say I am impressed by the pedaling efficiency of this bike, it is not a light bike, but it feels great doing whatever is asked of it. And it is very confidence inspiring on the downs.2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-img_8561.jpg
    2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-img_8556.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Sloppy mud and treacherous roots today. Sun was out!

mtbr member
    2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-20170324_163953.jpg Trails finally dry enough to take it out for the first time after the build a few weeks ago!

Professional Noob
    If it fits 650b+, will it fit 29s?
    => CannondaleExperts.com <=
    All the parts and accessories your Cannondale ever needs

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by eicca View Post
    If it fits 650b+, will it fit 29s?
    Then you would have a bottom bracket height from 1999 haha

Professional Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Then you would have a bottom bracket height from 1999 haha

Nah. Offset bushings will put it back where it belongs. ANd if needed, a shorter stroke shock will keep the tire from hitting the seat tube.

Basically you'd have a Riot that could be a Balance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by joecrow View Post

Name:	20170324_163953.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	459.4 KB 
ID:	1128593 Trails finally dry enough to take it out for the first time after the build a few weeks ago!
    Nice looking bike and excellent choice on the fork. I love my stage.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by eicca View Post
    Nah. Offset bushings will put it back where it belongs. ANd if needed, a shorter stroke shock will keep the tire from hitting the seat tube.

Basically you'd have a Riot that could be a Balance.
    Would be a awfully good looking riot at that point. Lol

Professional Noob
    Someone here should see if a 29er wheel fits in back.

mtbr member
    Nice looking bike and excellent choice on the fork. I love my stage.
    Thanks! I haven't messed with the compression/ rebound settings much but just the general settings for my weight are phenomenal with small bump sensitivity and ramp control for the big hits.

I'm with stupid
    Here you go, a few beers into the evening and figured I would appease you. This is a 2.3 dhr 2 on 30mm inner carbon fattie SL off my riot.

62016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-uploadfromtaptalk1490667184424.jpg2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-uploadfromtaptalk1490667203707.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by joecrow View Post
    Thanks! I haven't messed with the compression/ rebound settings much but just the general settings for my weight are phenomenal with small bump sensitivity and ramp control for the big hits.
    My favorite part about the fork is that it always feels consistent no matter how hard it is getting ridden. I seems to always hate my pike by the end of a long descent. Never feel that way with the stage. I also love how easy it is to have a few different "modes". I have my climbing/flat trail plush mode (1 click ramp, 1 compression). My gonna-hit some jumps, but nothing nuts mode: 3 ramp, 2 compression. And oh-god-its-steep mode, 5 ramp, 4 compression. I've got 930 very hard miles on mine. No issues, no creaks, still rides great.

mtbr member
    2016 medium. Full Canfield build, as this was my first time building. Made a bunch of spreadsheets with price/weight scenarios and kept coming back to their build, which is pretty solid. Coulda spent more for some bling here, a little weight there, but their choices are all great.
    2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-0324171611.jpg

Spent a few rides dialing in build issues, then started in on the suspension. Couple days of going way out of the recommended settings, bringing it back and starting over, and I think I've got it. Today's ride was the magic carpet.

Don't use the climb switch yet on the ccdb, maybe when some fireroad climbs open up we'll see. It's fine without. Climbs better than my Scott Ransom (which has a climb mode and full lockout).

9 lives
    My new ride. The suspension needs to be adjusted and dropper seat raised a little but so far so good. Hope to ride this weekend

2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-17522642_1900990583478717_3839469870307252763_n.jpg

2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-17498641_1900990473478728_7887985135982946006_n.jpg

2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-17498499_1901002586810850_6459000655731886389_n.jpg

2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-17499141_1900993940145048_8648211767628535664_n.jpg

2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-17457876_1900991476811961_79927110734127697_n.jpg

2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-17424954_1900994586811650_7537199925220001782_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrashbarg View Post
    2016 medium. Full Canfield build, as this was my first time building. Made a bunch of spreadsheets with price/weight scenarios and kept coming back to their build, which is pretty solid. Coulda spent more for some bling here, a little weight there, but their choices are all great.

Name:	0324171611.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	1129095

Spent a few rides dialing in build issues, then started in on the suspension. Couple days of going way out of the recommended settings, bringing it back and starting over, and I think I've got it. Today's ride was the magic carpet.

Don't use the climb switch yet on the ccdb, maybe when some fireroad climbs open up we'll see. It's fine without. Climbs better than my Scott Ransom (which has a climb mode and full lockout).
    Looks great! Had the exact same thing with an Excel spreadsheet with different builds and the full breakdown of every part needed. Ended up with a 2017 balance Canfield build!

mtbr member
    2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-0323171823.jpg

May contain nuts
    What would a large Balance with Topaz, no carbon, tubeless 800-900g rubber weigh in at? 32lb achievable?

I'm with stupid
    My 2016 large balance with full new XT 11 spd/brakes Command post and Henge saddle. roval alloy wheels race face Atlas stem and bars. XT trail pedals. And a fox 36 with maxxis dhf 2.3 3 c exo front and 2.3 aggressor rear. Came in right at 33.8lbs. So you can compare the weights of all those parts to what you are going to use. Frame without headset with CCDBAcs was 9.5 lbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    32lbs is very doable. My Large frame was a hair under 8lbs (3625g) without shock. My completed build with an 11.6 coil, a 1750g wheelset, 900g tires, and XT build and strong-but-weight-conscious trim came to 32.9lbs (14.9kg) including pedals and dropper. With a Topaz you could be comfortably under 32.0lbs, depending on kit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

mtbr member
    ^ cool ^

mtbr member
    Jminus, your close up picture of the Canfield Skull head badge gave me the idea of making a trailer hitch cover for my Tahoe. Don't "Sue" me Canfield, I only made one and I'm not selling anything. I'm only advertising for you guys.

2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-20170409_183010_resized_1.jpg2016 Canfield Balance Trail Photo Thread-screenshot_2017-04-09-18-54-37_resized_2.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That is bad ass! Is it made out of metal? How did you do it?

When I saw the giant skull sticker on Vin's jeep, I tried to keep him to sell me one for my truck but he said it was a on off. One of these would work nicely and has the advantage of not being a sticker.

Also, in regards to the badge on my bike, the corrosion (galvanic?) inside the eyes and around the edges have added to the mad-max mystique of it. After a good muddy ride it looks down right apocalyptical.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast